Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Dodge/Plymouth Neon

Comments

• btrflybtrfly Member Posts: 21
    Could you tell me if the diagnostic testing showed the problem with the sensor? The dealer keeps telling me they can't see a problem and yet I'm only getting 20 mpg!!
  • yustasyustas Member Posts: 31
    What they did, at Auto Zone, just pulled a trouble code out of the ECU. But the problem is not with solenoid, but with ECU itself. Chrysler had a TSB on that. You have to reprogram your car's ECU unit. And while you are at it, reprogram it for the faulty oxygen sensor too.
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,142
    A newspaper would like to interview a female consumer who has been turned off by Dodge: either she shopped for a Dodge vehicle but couldn't find anything to meet her needs, or she did not like the macho approach that Dodge uses in its ads. Please respond to [email protected] before Friday, March 3, 2006 with your daytime contact info, your vehicle's year, make and model, and a few thoughts on the subject of interest.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? [email protected] - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• hblack2004hblack2004 Member Posts: 1
    Just wanted any good or bad news that anyone has on 2004 Neon. I will be getting one this week and would like any info. you may have. Thanks
  • dcneondcneon Member Posts: 3
    I am not sure if it is an option on the 2004 model, i think it is, but if you have a choice i recommend getting the SRT-4 instead of the SXT neon. It comes with a nicer body kid, and better under hood upgrades. Runs better.
  • faroutfarout Member Posts: 1,609
    We have a 2004 Neon SXT automatic. We have 38,000miles on it and the ONLY problem has been a CD player that kept holding on to the CD for a day or so. The CD player was replaced by the dealer under the 7/70. We have had three Dodge Neons. We still have a 96 Dodge neon with 178,000 miles on the original engine. The gas mileage is still about 30mpg and runs real good with about a quart of oil every 3,000miles. Which is what it has always been. Then we had a 2001 Dodge Neon leather, and lots of goodies, we traded it in on a Dodge Dakota truck. We got the 2004 Dodge Neon in July 2004. Believe it or not the 2004 was more than $4,000. less than our 1996 Neon. the car is good on gas 28 to 32mpg. It drives smoothly but there is some wind noise. The black interior shows spots more than our 1996. I would get a Chrysler Service Contract, as no car is perfect and I believe in what the Boy Scouts taught me "Be prepared".
    Hope you have many happy miles ahead.

Farout
    The SRt has a VERY HIGH INSURANCE RATE. Who needs 230 hp in a 2400 lb car? It may run better as far as speed goes, but how long it will last is only a guess. However if you are into speed and have money to burn that the SRT Neon is for sure a eye catcher....and a ticket magnet.

Farout
  • perangelperangel Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99 neon 48,000 miles. I just recently had a stereo installed and now I'm having problems with seat belt light comes on dinging, and then lose power to almost shut the car off while driving. Any sugguestions on this? :(
  • dcneondcneon Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone know/have any 1997 Dodge Neon Blueprints. I need real accurate ones, some that show the electrical wiring under hood, in inside car, cd player, and trunk. If any one has any i would be greatful.
  • liilgirlie423liilgirlie423 Member Posts: 1
    i just got a neon and my was running great then i started to have the same problem as you. i got a diagostics done and they couldnt find anything. but my friend looked at it and couldnt find anything i was about to junk it but my boyfriend came over when i wasnt home to change all the filters like i asked a few days before i forgot to tell him about the car. well he changed the fuel filter and i havent had a problem since then. i know it sound weird but it fixed my problem
  • missrubimissrubi Member Posts: 2
    liil-

fuel filter is worth checking out. it's actually going to the mechanic for the 3 day stay so i'll let you know what he comes up with. thanks for the input though!
  • bobezbobez Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a 2002 Dodge Neon base with AC and automatic for $3250, in fair condition. It has 68K miles on it so I believe it has many years left on it. It has some rust on the rims, and other exposed metal parts which leads me to believe it was never garaged. I think I did OK on the deal? Anything I should watch out for?
  • slowpedalerslowpedaler Member Posts: 62
    I've done some reading of the messages in this thread, but they seem to pertain to mostly older cars. Any comments on the last couple years of this model? My wife needs a basic 4-door AT econo-car for commuting and they're practically giving them away right now. Is it loud, rattly and unreliable; or can I expect it to get her there and back without too much drama? Is there a "good" motor and a "bad" one?
  • joe602joe602 Member Posts: 2
    I just got my 05 Dodge Neon SXT w/ auto tran. I bought it used with 18,000 miles on it. The car seems to get really good gas mileage and i can make it from Phoenix to Tucson on a little over a 1/4 of a tank....The wierd thing is though is that it seems the gas guage goes down slowly in the first half of the tank and then it goes faster on the sencond lower half.....It is very comfortable though and it can keep its speed really well.
    joe602: This is nornal fir not only Neon's but most of DECX vehicles. We have had 3 Neons a 96 we still have with 185,000 miles on the orignal engine, a 2001 we traded in after 1 year. and a 2004 we bought new that has 40,000 miles on it. The 2000 Neon was a big revision, and the 2004 and 05 are thsame except for a few minor changes. We get always 28mpg and on a trip 33 mpg. The big key is at about 80,000 to 90,000 change the timing belt and put on a NEW water pump while you are at it. These engines are solid and will last a good length of time if you change the oil every 4 to 5,000 miles with 5-30 oil. Good luck.

Farout
  • iyz408iyz408 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 1995 plymouth neon and both front doors are constantly shocking me.I have no idea what it could be, Even after I park it and the car is off, when I get off and go to close the door I always get a shock!!!!Does any one have a clue as to what the problem might be? :surprise:
  • iyz408iyz408 Member Posts: 5
    You are not alone! I have a 1995 PLYMOUTH NEON and I am constantly getting shocked! But that is not the beginning of my neon problems. There is also a power steering fluid leak in the metal line that runs underneath the motor due to it coming in contact (rubbing against) another metal line that constantly gets hot,wich eventually makes a hole in the line.AND my car is constantly overheating and with that comes that awful smell.AND my engine always idles sooo high, especially on the freeway or when i gain speed. What is up with this???? If anyone has any tips for me PLEASE let me know.Thanks
  • coop4coop4 Member Posts: 2
    i have a 99 neon dohc auto i just found out my kickdown rod is shot and everyone wants 200$ to repair it and i also purchased the parts for a whopping 4.00$ if i could do it myself i would . and as for gas mileage i get 290 miles on the highway per tank. and i get up to 60 in a lot less than 8.8 seconds any ideas to make this beast faster will be much appreciated
    currently has 113,000 miles and never blew a head gasket broke a thermostat but aside from the kickdown rod not a damn thing has gone wrong with my car i love it
    and i smoked a honda pilot last nite going up hill lmao
  • coop4coop4 Member Posts: 2
    all cars are like that the gas goes slow on first half then guzzles rite down on second half of tank any car any size motor
  • monkey7312monkey7312 Member Posts: 26
    I wish I knew what stopped it. Mine haven't done that to me in a while and I have no idea what causes it or why it stopped. :confuse: Probably just extra static...
  • sorrysorry Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 neon have had more trouble with this car than anything i have ever owned. Now the water pump is out,problem is someone beat on it with a hammer we have broke 3 gear pullers trying to get it out any ideas?
  • jenerojenero Member Posts: 1
    I have a 98 Plymouth Neon EX. I know it's not a problem with the car itself, but probably its previous owner. Just bought it a few weeks ago. Everytime I use the highbeams, the dash lights and console lights (minus the clock) turn off. Any ideas?
  • larabcrylarabcry Member Posts: 2
    when I am driving my neon the and I press the gas, it sounds like my car is working too hard. its makes a real deep humming sound. someone suggested it was spark plugs or plug wires but I replaced the plug wires probably about 6mths ago. What could be wrong with it?
  • larabcrylarabcry Member Posts: 2
    I am having a problem with my neon that seems to be needing to have the spark plugs replaced. when I stop and start up again at a slow speeds it really struggles. Is replacing the spark plugs the answer to this problem?
  • arcadefreak36arcadefreak36 Member Posts: 49
    I had this same problem with my 99 and thank god it was under warranty, My transmission let go. That might not be your problem, perhaps you might have a blown spark plug or one of your wires might be cracked. :)
  • abczabcz Member Posts: 1
    We bought my high school daughter a 98 Plymouth Neon Expresso. We originally thought it was a 99 but it still seems to be a good deal. She will primarily drive it to school and work-about 15-20 miles a day. It has 104,500 miles on it. We have the chance to take it back because the dealership told us it was a 99. They had a clerical error. We discovered it when we got the paperwork home.

Should we be worried? What kind of problems could we encounter? I would like it to last her a year or two - maybe 20-30K miles. Does this seem reasonable?

I know it will need maintenance but don't want huge bills for us.

Thanks!
    The only concern is the timing belt. Have a mechanic take a good look at the engine and also check your plugs, wires, air filter and battery. The plugs should be champions. Overall the Neon is a great little peppy car and when taken care of properly it should go to 200K. I have a 99 and it has 127K on it and it still wants to get up and go. :)
  • neonnimbleneonnimble Member Posts: 2
    yes your ignition switch on steering column is bad and need to be replace. my friend had to replaced it in his neighbor neon. he bought the ignition switch from local part store and problem solved. neighbor probaly gave him $20.00 for labor ha!
    I hope this help? his ignition switch got worn out from using too much.
  • neonnimbleneonnimble Member Posts: 2
    my speedo gauge include fuel gauge are not functioning properly. after reading forum, I have to get the whole new speedo. here's my questions, is there aftermarket digital speedo gauge that I could install in my 1997 plymouth neon?
    let me know and thanks!
    arcadefreak: We have a 1996 Dodge Neon Highline, with 189,700 with the orignal engine. It uses about a quart of oil every 900 miles, and runs very good, still gets 27 to 33 mpg. I hope it runs well a long time. I keep the service done by schedule B. The timing belt and water pump change at 90,000 is one very big key to keep this 2. L running a long time. Most mileage I have personally seen is 225,000 miles. If anyone knows of anyone with more let us know.

farout
  • mat420mat420 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'd appreciate any help at all. I have a 1997 Dodge Neon and first off my battery would

drain when I go to sleep overnight, but sometimes itd last for days. We fixed that by pulling the

fuse to my A/C that was under the hood (big square fuse that was accompanied by about 5-7

others probably) (it was keeping in the on position, you could actually hear it click on and off if

you wiggled the fuse). That was over with though after we pulled the A/C fuse. Then,

sometimes when you turned the key it would just click, banging on the starter working, or

bypassing the selenoid (by touchin them 2 nuts together on the starter/selenoid) but now, the

starter has been replaced and it does the same thing sometimes (it wasnt replaced long ago

but I think its the same case, I just dont get why the last one was dead complately and this one

is working one and off if its not completely the starter thats the problem, do i buy a brand new

starter? is something slowly breaking the starter?), and bypassing the selenoid doesnt even

work sometimes, you dont even see a spark when you touch them to nuts together which I was

told you should, no doubt about it. Since I've installed the new starter It only DIDNT start at all

ONCE, thats when nothing would work, from banging to bypassing the starter/selenoid, but a

few times, when I turned the key itd click, then I turn the key again and it would start. Is this a

power issue or what? I have a subwoofer and amp connected to my battery (one wire) that

both shut off when the car is off. The battery is brand new its definitely not the battery ive also

checked the volts and all of that. The starter, its my second one...I just dont think its the

starter again and neither does my friend who has been dealing with cars for a long time. I think

it may be another problem in that fuse box thats under my hood, but then, again, why was that

starter dead completely? Damn what I should have did was checked if that last one would

power up when connected to a power source. Anyway, Thank you so much for reading all of

that, I'd appreciate any help or suggestions at all.
    Matt420: Hey, welcome to the forum! I have a1996 Dodge Neon Highline. We bought it new. These are fun cars and have a good amount of pep for a 2, L engine. I can only tell you what I do and have done with ours. I take ours to the Dodge dealer, which I thank the Lord is top notch. For me replacing parts one by one to find a problem is pretty expensive. For the most part I have regretted everytime I have taken it to a auto repair shop. They are not equipped with all the tools or computers required to do some of the more specialized work. Not only that but often the dealer would have been less in cost. So 10 years ago I just go to a 5 star dealer, it saves time and money and the work has a 12,000 mile 12 month warranty. Hope this helps, and good luck.

Farout
  • tomuchtodotomuchtodo Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 1999 Plymouth Neon 4 door sohc w/92k miles.
    It had camshaft position sensor leak that I fixed.
    The right and back side of engine were covered with oil.
    Tranny does not shift right from 1st to 2nd - 3000 rpms/25 mph. The other shifts seem fine. Tranny seems strong.
    I'm hoping maybe bad sensor or adjustment is the cause... oh please please please.
    I changed tranny fluid + filter putting in mopar atf+4.
    My guess is this was first fluid change for tranny but I did not see any unusual problems in fluid. The fluid did not smell burnt and magnet had normal amount of filings,
    I've seen alot worse anyway.
    I tried to adjust throttle position cable but found Haynes
    manual a bit confusing. I tried adjusting it a few different ways but tranny never changed shift point from 1st to 2nd. I have noticed that when taking off w/ 2nd on shift lever the shift is always better about 2500 rpms.
    Still seems a bit on the high side.
    Any suggestions on what I can check out?
    I can explain how I set throttle pos. cable if that helps.
    Thanks in advance.
  • budhaboybudhaboy Member Posts: 1
    hi guys and gals my 96 neon is driving me crazy i have not been able to get the check engine light to go out its giving me low voltage to the tps . i have change the tps, computer, map sensor , upgraded to a msd coil and msd wires and new plugs also change the idle air control and for new injectors what else can i do please help thanks budhaboy :shades:
  • reuropareuropa Member Posts: 7
    I owned a 98 Plymouth Neon Highline (Expresso) (bought new) until recently (just bought a Nissan Versa, which I love). I too had the had gasket problem, 1 month after the warranty on the car expired :/ Did some investigating and found out it was a flaw in the design. Called the Better Business Bureau and Plymouth with my findings and long story short, they replaced it for free (saving me some $2300). I have to say, for being an entry-level car (mine was a fully loaded automatic model, the sunroof, "fun package" etc), for $13,300, I was pretty happy with it. When I traded it in, I had 97,000 miles on it. In the 8 years I owned the car, I never had a *single* problem with it. It was never once in the shop. (Then again, I'm religious about oil changes, etc. so I don't know if that figures into it or I just got lucky with that particular car.) I'd previously owned more expensive cars that were continually in the shop for this or the other, so I think I was blessed with my Neon. Felt a little nostalgic when I got rid of it, I have to confess
  • lawyer53lawyer53 Member Posts: 4
    Same thing on my 1998. I got the gasket fixed under an extended warranty, but the intake person admitted that Chrysler had a silent warranty on it. The engine still burns oil, as usual.
  • red96red96 Member Posts: 3
    My 96 Neon is getting very poor fuel mileage and expelling black smoke from the exhaust especially when going uphill along with a lack of power. I have replaced the upstream O2 sensor, fuel filter, spark plugs and air filter very recently. Anyone have any suggestions?
    lawyer53: How many miles are are on your Neon. We have a 96 Highline. we bought new, and it has 192,000 miles on it. It uses a quart about every 600 miles. I expect that with this many miles on it.
    Thank the Lord we bought the Chrysler Service Contract. Everything but the block and head, and I mean everything you can imagine was replaced under the extended warranty. Chrysler spent more on repairs during the 100,000 miles than we paid for the Neon! After 100,000 miles repairs have been normal and it's been great. Always the mpg has been in the 30mpg range, even now. However this summer we have spent about $1,400. in tires and repair. Now we drive it less than 100 miles a month. If we don't drive it once and a while to keep the rings from becoming loose, and using more oil. Yes. it smokes a little but 192,000 is a lot for a 2.L engine. At least I think so.

Farout
  • meghan100104meghan100104 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Neon SXT. I bought it new and love it. Recently I have developed a water leak that comes in under the dash on the passenger side. No one can seem to figure out where it is coming from. Has anyone else had this problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  • meghan100104meghan100104 Member Posts: 2
    If anyone else has the passenger side leak issue, call your Dodge dealer and request TSB 23-008-03. (Technical Service Bulletin, which is a diagnostic report) They will be able to fix it quickly and cheaply!
  • liz_77liz_77 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 2000 Plymouth Neon LX with a few issues. I've been trying to read through some of the threads to see if anyone was able to resolve their problems with the power locks making that annoying noise, but didn't see anything recent. Does anyone know of a quick fix to get the power locks to stop making that "screeech" noise every time they lock/unlock? The doors lock automatically when I get up to 15 mph, so I always have to warn any passengers that the sound is coming, otherwise it startles them! And of course, when I set the alarm, the doors lock and this loud screech occurs...it used to be only the passenger door (and I thought it was because my husband was messing with the speaker that blew out) but now the back doors are doing it too. Sometimes, while driving or when the car is just parked outside, the locks will just start this long, loud screech that goes on for about 30 seconds or more. I have no idea why! Does anyone know of a good way to get this fixed without spending tons of money and without disconnecting the locks?? I just spent over $1500 in repairs because the timing belt was stripped and broke all kinds of stuff on the head gasket so I was hoping to get this issue resolved cheaply. Any help would be greatly appreciated with this problem... :confuse:
  • vgodfreyvgodfrey Member Posts: 3
    I and my father have been trying to figure out the troubles with our '02 neon. When we try and start it, it seems that no command is sent to the starter. We have replaced the ignition switch and checked all fuses. We think we have checked everything except the fuseable links. If anyone can help it would be great. :confuse:
    Do you have any power at all? Lights, radio, horn? Check your plugs and wires. A diagnostics test might have to be done by your local garage.
    We have lights, radio, horn. We have taken the starter off and tested it. We have hooked a computer tester to it and everything came back passed. When we turn the key, everything comes on like normal, but when we turn it to start, nothing happens. It's like nothing is sending the signal to the starter to try and turn over. The ignition switch is brand new.
    Back in the day when cars had distributors that would be the problem. If a distributor was slightly turned or cracked there would be no spark. So I am wondering if your coil pack is any good? That's where the wires are connected to on top of your engine. If it's junk I've seen them on ebay for cheap money.
  • texas4texas4 Member Posts: 11
    any comments or thoughts on what tires would be best for 2005 Neon..... factory size is P185 / 60R / 15 , but these seem a little hard to find..... were looking at P195/60R/15 , will these work ok ??
    any recommendations as specific brands / styles ??
    TIA for any comments
  • proactvzproactvz Member Posts: 1
    When you put the key in the ignition, can you turn the key?
    Yes, but we did find out a few days of trial and error that it was the ecu. We replaced it earlier this month, and now we think it has gone out again. :mad:
  • 01neonproblem01neonproblem Member Posts: 2
    Hello, I have a 2001 Plymouth Neon and on Friday night my right turn signal and brake light went out. The following day my left turn signal and brake light also went out. When I went to change the bulb I noticed that nothing was wrong with either one but went ahead and changed them anyway and neither worked. I then checked my fuses and once again none were broken or blown out but I changed them anyways and still no turn signals or brake lights. The dealership says it may be the Multi-Function switch. Does anyone know where this is located on my car or if that is an accurate estimate? Has anyone else had this sort of problem or does anyone know of any information that could be of use to me? I appreciate any feedback anyone has. Thank you in advance!! Matthew
  • xcpag95xcpag95 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, I have a 2001 Dodge Neon R/T and I noticed my front driver floor board is wet. I haven't checked the other floor boards yet but I think the driver rear is too because of a stain on a paper that was laying back there. Anyone have any ideas of where the water may be coming from. Has anyone heard of this happening on any other 2001 Neons.
    Thnx, I appreciate any feedback! Jason