Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Pontiac Grand Prix - 2000-2005

Comments

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Get whatever you want...no leather, that's OK.

GT instead of GTP...that's OK, too. The 3.8 engine is a gem no matter which iteration of it you choose...smooth even power no matter what you're trying to do with it.

I think the GP is just a smidgeon smaller than the Bonny but not by much. Price difference between the two can be sizeable.

I know you'll be happy with your GP...Congrats and let us know when you pick it up.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    mriversmrivers Member Posts: 9
    "Get it wet once, then watch it crack quick"

I left all 5 windows open in a down pour, when I got back to my car, there were puddles of water in the seats. That was last summer, and there are no cracks in the leather.
  • Options
    greywolfgreywolf Member Posts: 51
    "Get it wet once, then watch it crack quick"

I've gotten soaked in my leather jacket many times - and no cracks. Are you sure your not talking about pleather.

Also to follow up about sunroofs - my parents both have a sunroof in their cars. I just don't see the purpose. Is it to get sun on you? Because when you drive, air flows over, and not in. In fact if you drive fast enough in the rain the water doesn't get in. My friends old monte had T-tops, which exposed you much more to the air.

I was thinking of getting it in my GTP but then I thought, what practical reason is there in having one? Can someone explain?
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    I love my sunroof. It ventilates the entire cabin well. I use mine when it's not warm enough for A/C (although, any car with auto temp control will regulate the temp with the A/C compressor on). Usually, when it's in the 70s or low 80s outside. I find it nice to have the sun shine in the cabin and no wind buffeting (like in a convertable) while letting some of the outdoors in.

I'd say during the summer, I use it over 50% of the time as opposed to having the A/C on.

There's just something about having the windows down and the sunroof open that puts me in a good mood when I jump into my GTP.

That said, when it gets hot and humid, the sunroof stays closed (maybe cracked a bit) windows up with the A/C on.

On very hot days, I roll down the windows and open the sunroof to quickly let out all the hot, stuffy air inside the cabin to get the car cooled quickly with the A/C blasting away. Once it gets cooled down (takes about a minute in the GP), I close everything up.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    96gs96gs Member Posts: 86
    Also it's kind of nice to look up and see the sky straight up, especially when it's raining.
  • Options
    Yep - I love looking up while I drive, and yapping on a cell phone arguing about who didn't clean the peach...
  • Options
    estopestop Member Posts: 10
    I think you are being too subtle for greywolf.
    But then subtlety is probably "Over-rated".
  • Options
    Yeah, I would much rather look up at the sky instead of the traffic ahead of me- NOT! I meant while sitting still of course. I don't know, I guess graphicguy said it best. There is something about rolling down the windows and opening the moonroof while driving out in the country on a nice evening. It's just a nice feeling.
  • Options
    electricblueelectricblue Member Posts: 21
    ok..ok...I changed my mind again, but this time it's for good...I decided to go with the Bonneville. I like the fact that it has side-impact airbags on drivers and passenger side - safety is a big issue with me, even though so far I've been lucky (knock on wood). And, well, I just could not stay away from the looks of the 2000. It's great!! What can I say? But, I still like the GP, but the Bonneville's new looks are more "me". Plus, here in Michigan, just about every-other car on the road is either a GP or a Grand-Am. I've always liked to be different. :) I'm picking it up tonight, so, I'll keep you posted! I'd like to thank everyone again for all the information. Everyone was great and informative and I really appreciate it!
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Blue:

I hope you enjoy the Bonneville and that it serves you well.

I take back what I said about the Geritol and prune juice. I saw the Bonneville on a tv commrecial, and it was definitely not a grannymobile!!!

Let us know how you like your car.

tsjay
  • Options
    thank you for taking back the granny comments!! lol My 62 year old mother said the same thing, before she saw it...she's thinking of the old style, which was a granny car..hehe - but, I have to say, I am absolutely smitten with this car. It's -not to sound like a teen-ager - AWESOME!!! I've never been happier with a car. (keeping fingers crossed) But, I've found that the people in the Bonneville room seem to be a bit "snobbish", so, I'd prefer to still come in and visit with you guys!! It was so funny...they were all pouting because they couldn't figure out how to program their cars to recognize the driver...boo-hoo!! Wish I had their problems! lmao Anyway, thanks again everyone for being so nice, and I'll talk to you soon!
  • Options
    Hey, where is everybody???

Electricblue, tell us about your Bonnie.

You've had it several more days since your last post, so bring us up to date.

Somebody post something, for Pete's sake.

tsjay
  • Options
    bdstriebdstrie Member Posts: 18
    I LOVE MY GRAND PRIX..........VROOOOOOMM!
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    teaching some hot shots a thing or two about 280 lbs*ft torque in my GTP.

I spot some fast car closing in on my 6, then surprise them by beating them to 100mph (or sitting right on their tail if they managed to pass me), and then let them go, all upset, to collect the ticket harvest.
  • Options
    thewilmanthewilman Member Posts: 1
    Hi guys,
    I just put a deposit on a 98 GP GT that was GM certified w/ 36K miles. It's Forest green with Graphite leather. I really like it. I'll be picking it up tomorrow. I'm psyched.
    See ya,
    thewilman
  • Options
    sunfgtsunfgt Member Posts: 40
    Question for you GP owners. I've always noticed that the exhausts on GT and GTP only take on an oval shape near the end and that they are circular before that. I like the oval shape, but it is quite obvious that the ovals are just cosmetic. I don't know if they were trying to copy the Trans Am; if so, why didn't they start the ovals further back down so that it's not so obvious that they are merely cosmetic.

I also have the same issue on my Sunfire GT and am slightly bothered by it. Anyone else think it could look better?
  • Options
    Sunfgt:

They are the shape they are for cosmetic reasons, and I like them like that. I think they look much better than just regular round pipes sticking out.

I had a '94 Z28 with the very flat, wide tail pipes, and I thought they really looked good too. I'm sure that was just for cosmetics also.

tsjay
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong about not liking the cosmetic aspect of it. I agree with you wholeheartedly about ovals looking better than round. Just look at the Mustang GT, they made the exhausts more oval during the redesign.

What I'm trying to say is that they could have started the oval shape further back so that it looked like it was more than just skin-deep. I believe that the shape of the Z28 exhaust doesn't change until near the end, but it is more difficult to tell that because they are very flat, making it more difficult to see what's inside.

All I can say is that oval and flat exhaust look WAY better than the ugly "coffee cans" put on riced cars. I just hope that the GP redesign doesn't make the exhaust go the way of the GAGT, not that it's bad, but ovals are better.
  • Options
    Remember the GTP is a sporty sedan, not a full sports car. So the tips were put on afterwards...it wasn't part of the original design. Seeing how well the GTP is doing, I would think the next gen will have more features and details to promote the sportiness image.
  • Options
    Howdy!! Sorry I haven't posted for awhile....I've been too busy riding around in my new bonnie..;) I do have to say, I LOVE this car!!!! Out of every car I've ever owned, this is by FAAAAAR my favorite. (And I've owned quite a few cars!) I'm very happy with my decision and it drives great, has great pick-up, has lots of goodies and gadgets and did I mention, I LOVE this car? lol I'll keep you posted!! :)
    electricblue
  • Options
    To make em look better... paint the insides black with engine paint.
    (and polish the outside edge and clear coat it)
  • Options
    The trick is to do the edge just right so that it isn't too shiny, or it'll make them look like something off a riced car. Do you know if anyone has made cosmetic mods to the exhausts?

I feel that the exhausts are very important to the rear profile of the car, and especially so for the GTP. With all the power, most people on the road tend to see the agressive front of the car coming from behind really fast, and then they pull over. But when the GTP passes, they should see an equally agressive and distinctive rear, that IMO isn't quite agressive. It just seems a little soft compared to the front. I think that the exhausts and brake lights do a lot (Trans Am).
  • Options
    Well, they're not quite chrome looking, but they now match the "high polished" rims. (when they're clean)
  • Options
    So far, after 11.5 K miles, my 2000 GP GT has been back to the dealer for "Nuttin', Honey." (Well, I did take it back to get the permanent license plate put on.)

Is this common for the GP's? I thought just about every car has to go back to the dealer for at least minor things.

Really likin' mine!!!

tsjay
  • Options
    Set a new record today! Filled up in Taylorville, Illinois, and drove 201.7 miles to Henderson, Ky, on 6.582 gallons of gas- that's 30.6 miles per gallon!!!

I drove a little slower than usual, but I wasn't creeping along. I ran about 60 in the 55 speed limits and 70 on the interstates.

Who has a great gas mileage story (FACT not FICTION) to share with the group on a 2000 GP GT?
    I'm sure my 30.6 isn't the world's record- I did have about 80 miles of two lane roads and a few small towns to drive through, plus the drive through Evansville, Indiana (Stoplight City).

I wonder what some of you have gotten for mileage on a whole tank of purely interstate driving???

Tell us your story and include your speed. Has anyone ever driven a steady 65 or less on a whole tank of gas out on the interstates? I'll bet a 2000 GP GT would get 33 or 34 mpg under those conditions.

tsay
  • Options
    gmman1gmman1 Member Posts: 4
    I wish I got that kind of mileage on mine. My 2000 GP GT get 20 mpg on Los Angeles freeways.
  • Options
    GMMAN1:

Isn't your LA freeway driving done in heavy traffic with lots of stop and go?

Have you ever driven on a long trip on regular interstates? I'm sure your car is capable of much higher miles per gallon than 20.

tsjay
  • Options
    ech227ech227 Member Posts: 6
    I've had a '98 GP GT since new. I average about 21 miles to the gallon with both city and interstate driving (Chicagoland area). The best I ever did was on a trip from Chicago to Minneapolis on the stretches of nothing (pretty much most of WI once past Madison). Anyhow, I was going 70-75 and averaged about 28 MPG. I was disappointed. I should mention that the car was less than a week old when I took that trip. However, I haven't seen anything that high since.
  • Options
    Yes, it's stop and go but I have done the L.A. to Vegas run at 75 mph. I got @23 mpg.
  • Options
    Do cars equipped to meet the California emission standards get poorer gas mileage? Is the gas sold in California different than that sold elsewhere?

There has to be some reason that you are not getting anywhere near the mileage that I do.

The EPA mileage estimate for my car is 19 city and 29 highway, but I do so little city driving that I don't know how accurate the city rating is. It sure seems that the highway estimate is on the money, though.

tsjay
  • Options
    Ech227:

Hey, Brother, why in the world would you be disappointed with 28 mpg? What were you expecting?

A car with all the power that a GTP has that still gets 28 mpg should have you smiling from ear to ear.

tsjay
  • Options
    yes we do have different gas and smog standards, but my window sticker said the same 19 city-29 hwy.
  • Options
    pep4pep4 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2000 Grand Prix SE. Recently, the shifter became difficult to shift out of park. The dealer said that it was a bad solenoid and that the entire shifter assembly had to be replaced. HOWEVER, it appears that GM does not have a supply of this part. After six weeks of waiting, I still don't know when the part will be available. Has anyone had a similar problem, either with the shifter assembly or with getting the replacement part?
  • Options
    Hi everybody!! I have visited the Bonneville site a couple of times...boy, let me tell you...what a bunch of egomaniac snobs!! I sure am glad I have a life!!! I guess I'm a lesser life form because I don't like the looks of the front end of the SLE and SSEi and opted for the SE...is that what the worlds coming to? (lol) I just wanted to tell you guys, your so much better to talk with!! (Or, well, post with) Let me see..how did one person say it..the SE is good for a taxi cab...how nice...what a sweet person...roflmao Somebody needs attention so they get it through their car now don't they? hehehe Anyway, I just thought I'd see what was happening with everyone and tell you your the best!!
  • Options
    Howdy Miss Blue!!

Glad you came back to visit us.

Still in love with your Bonnie?

I am still enjoying my Grand Prix, but I have a bug for a new Jeep Wrangler now. There's no way I can trade again so soon, so I'll be keeping the Grand Prix for a while. Still haven't had even a minor problem with it, and the gas mileage has been great- you might have read my posts here on that subject.

Holler at us now and then.

tsjay
  • Options
    I know, I know; I need to get a life, right?

Anyway, I set a new record today with my 2000 Grand Prix GT. I got 31.5 mpg coming home from Illinois. From Taylorville, Illinois, to Henderson, Ky., I drove 202.0 miles on 6.411 gallons, which works out to 31.5 mpg!

I just had to try it- I drove 55 in the 55 speed zones and 65 on the interstates, using my cruise control. The temperature was only in the high 70's most of the way, so the air conditioner wasn't having to work very hard.

Sorry, people, but this news group ain't exactly a hotbed of activity, so posting about gas mileage might be slightly better than no one posting at all. I think it ranks one notch above watching paint dry, but somewhere lower than watching a stoplight change.

Later, guys and gals

tsjay
  • Options
    skunkuskunku Member Posts: 1
    Well I just got a 94 Grand Prix Se (White).
    I was looking for a Camero! I Had an 82 Cross Fire Injection Camero back in 91, and Loved it!
    Needless to say after only 3 days with my new used Grand Prix You couldnt trade me 4 Cameros and 2 corvettes for this GP! I love this Car! I have never felt more relaxed in a car. When I was younger, (early 20's) I would drive just to drive.
    A few years back I stoped going for drives without reason. I just thought it was my Growing out of childhood. Plus the fact that I Have been a truck driver for 7 years now. Driving was the last thing I wanted on my time off. I was dead wrong! Must have been the Car (maxima). I know feel 16 again! Feels like that first big wheel I got like a million years ago on christmas morning!
    I'm now 31 going on 12,lol. This seems like a great group! Gotta go! Im getting ready to take a long needless fuel wasting aimless drive on my day off!
    P.S. can someone tell me how to get the door speakers out? do I need to remove the whole door panel? or can I get these speaker covers off seperate? I have already switched out rear speakers and Fixed the stock tape player. I'm also interested in the fact that i can see a cd light on the lcd if the sun hits it right, so im assuming there is an easy way to add a changer to this stock am/fm tape system?
    Thanx
    :)
  • Options
    Not that I ever keep a vehicle long enough to worry about it, but I'm curious about the life expectancy of the Grand Prix's.

Does anyone have any experience with a high-mileage GP to share with the group?

Assuming one takes care of the car and performs preventive maintenance on schedule, how many miles are these cars good for before major money has to be spent for engine or transmission repair or replacement?

tsjay
  • Options
    Well the engine is near bullet proof - and would probably far outlast the rest of the car.

Some of the guys on the gp-owners.com site have their cars in the 80k ranges and no probles.
  • Options
    van_iuvan_iu Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to get out of my Ford Exploder (pun intended) and have been debating buying a GP Sedan GT. I was curious for the 2000 or 2001 if there is any difference between the GT and the GTP and if it was worth the extra $3-4K for the bigger motor. I am sure the option packages are nearly similar, but has anyone had problems or a good experience with either model?
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    difference between GT and GTP? Extra 40HP and 50 (not sure exactly) lbs*ft torque can certainly be felt.
  • Options
    Don't get me wrong, I still love my car, I was just disappointed in the sense that when Consumer Reports tested the car (SE 4DR with the 3.8) they got over 30 mpg on the highway (I believe it was 34 mpg) and 13 mpg in the city. I definitely only see around 13 in the city. I figured driving in the middle of nowhere WI with no stop and go traffic would have yielded higher than 28 mpg. I usually drive 75/25 highway vs city and I average 21 mpg. I'm also driving on the Dan Ryan so that's not exactly the quickest road.
  • Options
    Hi ech!

You said your car was less than a week old when you took your trip to Minneapolis. I think that probably hurt your mileage by a mile or two per gallon.

You also said you drove 70 to 75 mph. I think you would have picked up another mile or two per gallon by driving no more than 70 mph.

Anyway, Dude, I would gladly give up a couple miles per gallon for the power of a GTP vs a GT.
    I was trying to trade my Grand Cherokee even for a new Grand Prix, and that put a GTP out of the picture. I did trade even for the GT, but I had to pay tax and license.

I grew up in Hammond, Ind. What part of Chicago are you from?

tsjay
  • Options
    foxy40foxy40 Member Posts: 1
    Someone asked about life expectancy. I traded a 1991 GP last year with 175,000 miles. It had the same 3800 V-6. Only problem was a head gasket at about 99,000 miles. Don't know if GM has solved the problem yet, but Chrysler and others also have the problem. Aluminum heads, cast iron blocks, and coefficient of expansion stuff.

Best I remember getting for mileage was about 31-33. But, in New England the limit is 65, not that people drive that speed, that's just the limit.

Looking at a 98 GP now.
  • Options
    You will not regret moving from an explorer to a GTP. When I ride in my friends explorer, I feel like I am riding in a WW2 era truck.

ANyway - the GTP is only about $1200 dollars more than the GT. BY all means, get it. Not only do you get a better motor - you get a more rugged transmission and beefier springs.

But of course - you get a great motor. If you can afford the premium fuel and the extra cost - you will not regret it.

When you see the GTP badge...and see other GP'rs with the badge - you will know you are one of the few.
  • Options
    jimjetjimjet Member Posts: 27
    Hi, folks! This is my first Pontiac post. Likely like most of you, I am always interested in cars - even after having recently bought a new one - from Ford (Merc). I have a "5%" GM credit card and sometimes wonder why I'm using it because there are so few GM products I actually like. That is, many of their cars look good at first view, but then when I see the interiors, price, and overall assembly quality, it's a turn-off. The one GM product I really like is the Grand Prix GT sedan. Great style. Good engine and transmission. Good handling. For 2001, they have added a plastic liner to the rear wheel wells - an important touch to me (though it could fit better). The biggest negative to the car is the low back seat. Kids can hardly see out of it. Anyway, thank goodness for the Grand Prix. It gives me hope for GM. Bye for now.

P.S.
    Comment on recent post on cast iron blocks with aluminum heads. The '86-89 Honda Accords have that set-up and they don't have problems at way beyond 100K miles.
  • Options
    The 3800 wasn't available in the '91 Grand Prix. The only engine choices were a 140hp 3.1 and a 210hp DOHC 3.4.
  • Options
    I agree that the newness of the car and my speed didn't help the mpg.

This definitely is a small world. I grew up in Hammond as well. Went to Gavit - Class of '89.
  • Options
    Ech:

I guess I have a year or two on you- I was class of '67 at Dear Old Hammond High.

Are you still living in Hammond? I now live in Kentucky.

tsjay
  • Options
    I live in Chicago now, but my family still lives in Highland & Crown Point so I go back quite often.

Keep enjoying your GP.
This discussion has been closed.