Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo S80

Comments

• Options
    turin2006turin2006 Member Posts: 1
    FYI, CarsDirect.com has a selling price on the MY2000 S80 T-6 that's about $2,000 under invoice cost (at least for my in Southern California). Who knows how long it will last... just thought I would let you know, in case anybody else is on the fence like I was. I just ordered my new venetian red t-6 today... will be delivered at my door in 7 days. You gotta love the convenience and price.

Umberto
  • Options
    tschultz2tschultz2 Member Posts: 1
    Since I've had my 1999 s-80, there have been two recurring problems that have been driving me nuts.The first is the reception of my am radio; it is practially nill....even in town w/ a 50,000 wat station. most of the time all I hear is static. Volvo has replaced the radio, but still the problem. The fm recepton is okay but not great. Any common experiences or suggestions?? Secondly, the doors on my s-80 are very, very cumbersome to shut. I have to "slam" the door and hold it til it shuts. It is not at all like a "foriegn car" where you get that smooth, crisp, tight shuttng when you close the door. Any comments or suggestions would be great!
  • Options
    dfwt6dfwt6 Member Posts: 24
    I am a user of the Meguiar's #20 on my silver S80 and find it works very well.
  • Options
    dfwt6dfwt6 Member Posts: 24
    Many radio reception problems have been traced to use of window tints on the back window, where the radio antenna is applied. If you have window tint, you may likely have "high performance" tint which has a metallic content that interferes with reception. Window tint is removable but it'll cost you more to take it out than put it in.

As far as doors go, yes, they require a firm hand. Don't slam, just use force.
  • Options
    dschultedschulte Member Posts: 1
    Just installed dust covers on my Volvo-S80 and was told by dealer that it voids warranty on brakes. Any suggestions?
  • Options
    nycarnycar Member Posts: 1
    I read that Volvo is offering an executive package on the 2001 S-80, does anyone have any information on this, I am considering putting in a tv for the back seat, any suggestions?
  • Options
    jmazejmaze Member Posts: 2
    I purchased my T6 in March. Now with 8500
    miles I have noticed on 4 or 5 occasions that
    the brakes are sluggish immediately after starting
    the car. The problem seems to occur after
    the car has been sitting for an extended time.

A couple of times in particular, I've started
    the car, immediately gone to reverse and attempted
    to apply the brakes to back out of a parking space. The brakes grab and the car doesn't stop unless I apply extreme pressure.

Has anyone experienced similar problems? Suggestions?

I enjoy this forum & have learned a lot from you guys.
  • Options
    broeuxbroeux Member Posts: 46
    dschulte: From what I hear, the brake dust shields can cause abnormally high temperature build-up sufficient to cause damage. So Volvo would be on firm ground in voiding the warranty. I'd avoid them and just live with cleaning the brake dust.

Broeux
  • Options
    derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    Hi everyone,

Does anyone know how I can calculate the depreciation of my 1999 S80 2.9? I am going to move shortly and will be about 30 miles from work one way, clocking up an additional 1200 miles/month(14400 miles/yr) in general. I am thinking whether it would be more economical for me to lease a commute car or to drive my S80 to work. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks.
  • Options
    casadecastrocasadecastro Member Posts: 3
    Anybody had the following problem? The past couple of weeks, after I've driven home (45 minutes in 75 degree weather), my right front hood area, for maybe 18 inches right behind my right headlight, is too hot to touch. I've come out into the garage three hours later on a couple of occasions, and it's still been dangerously hot. Any ideas what's up? The dash temp gauge shows no overheating. Someone suggested that the daytime running lights are producing the heat normally, but that seems like a lame explanation. Any ideas? (1999 T6 with 15k miles)

Also, anybody have any problems with their clock resetting? I've gotten into the car a couple of times and the clock shows just dashes, but the car doesn't have any problems starting, so it doesn't seem like the battery is dying.

Gary
  • Options
    mnmikemnmike Member Posts: 1
    nycar,

I did get some info on 2001s including the Executive version. Features include:

2 additional inches of rear legroom
    Wider rear door openings
    Heated rear seats
    Extra padding in rear seats
    Multi-function rear center armrest/console
    2 rear cupholders
    Power outlet
    Electric rear window sun curtain
    Video screen mounted in rear console between 2 front seats
    DVD player that also plays CD audio and video
    Infrared remote control for audio/video
    12 volt refrigerator (holds 8 12-oz cans!!)
    Wireless fax machine/single page copier

As you can see, heavy emphasis on rear seat passengers. If the car wasn't so fun to drive, you might consider a chauffer.

On another subject, the dealer I am talking to (Minneapolis) said the 2001s are in NJ awaiting Volvo's official release (8/1/00). At that point it should be 2 weeks delivery. I'm hoping to have a new T6 by 8/15!
  • Options
    kerrykkerryk Member Posts: 2
    Assuming you live in a "normal" area, 7500 miles seems reasonable for oil change intervals, even for the T-6.

It isn't the oil that "wears out" as much as the additives. (Viscosity improvers, anti-wear, etc.) There is no argument that synthetic oils are better than mineral based.

The chemistry of oil has improved substantially in the past 10 years, and engine technology is better as well. Remember that the S80 also has a 7 Qt sump vs 5 Qts in most vehicles.

If you're really paranoid, you might change the oil every 5000 miles. I don't see why synthetic shouldn't go 15K miles with a filter change and top off at 7500 miles.

If you live in an extreme heat area, or very dusty area, by all means, change the oil frequently along with the air filter.
  • Options
    keithpakeithpa Member Posts: 17
    I finally got a hold of VCNA and they told me it takes 5-8 day from the time the car arrives in the port until you get the car. My car arrived today and they said I can expect to receive it early to middle of next week. I ask about picking it up at the port (~ 1hour away) and they told me they do not do that any more.
  • Options
    kevin19kevin19 Member Posts: 2
    HELP! A DEER TOOK OFF MY SIDE-VIEW MIRROR ON THE DRIVERS SIDE. I WANT TO REPLACE IT WITH THE WIDE-ANGLE MIRROR I HAVE HEARD ABOUT FROM SOME OF YOU. HOWEVER, WHILE MY DEALER CAN FIND THE PART NUMBER THEY CLAIM THEY CAN'T ORDER IT. I SEEM TO RECALL THAT A COUPLE OF YOU ACTUALLY MANAGED TO GET THIS PART. HAS ANYONE HAD SUCCESS GETTING THIS PART? IF SO, FROM WHOM? NAME AND NUMBER OF THE SERVICE PERSON WHO SOLD IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. OBVIOUSLY, I HAVE TO GET THE MIRROR REPLACED SOON SO A QUICK RESPONSE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED. THANKS. KEVIN.
  • Options
    wh_thunder_txwh_thunder_tx Member Posts: 5
    Have the mirror and love it. You can find it at http://www.borton.com/parts.html
  • Options
    Keithpa: good news! Know you're anxious to get the car. If I'm not mistaken, VCNA doesn't really get actively involved in setting up the delivery truck schedule. At our port in Jacksonville, I got to the person who knew the car was sitting there waiting for a driver who had "enough cars going your way." This person coordinates with the carrier driver, and she told me she would try to get the car on a truck and to call HER back the next day. Before I could call her back the dealer called to tell me the car was here. You might want to consider trying to get to that comparable person at your port to see if delivery can be expedited.

Broeux
  • Options
    bucky1bucky1 Member Posts: 20
    I went to the Borton Volvo web page and found the driver side wide angle mirror. It is just the glass (with beveled edge) without the frame. Does the wide angle glass just pop into the frame holding the mirror I have now...and if so, how difficult an operation is it to exchange the mirrors? In other words, is this something I can do, or does it need to go into the dealer to do the changeover? Thanks for any information.
  • Options
    I read before that someone had ordered the mirror and the tech. at another local Dallas dealership in attempting to put it in had broken the frame, of course they replaced the frame no problem. I asked Nils Sefeldt Dallas Service to do it for me and they did it for free and did a great job. So I really don't know the difficulty.
  • Options
    twindytwindy Member Posts: 18
    I am interested in your thoughts about Nils Sefeldt. I live very close to them but didn't buy because of poor customer service. I ended up buying at Richardson of Volvo, which was a much better experience. Earlier posts revealed others to have had poor experiences at Nils, both in sales and their service dept. Sounds like you like their service dept. Have you had much work done there.
    Thanks!
  • Options
    The only dealings I have had with their service department was the installation of the mirror and one oil change. After the dealings with the sales department I am very apprehensive about the service department but in all fairness I really haven't dealt with the service department enough to state one way or another. Neither my wife nor myself would ever consider buying from their sales department again and certainly would discourage any of our friends from doing so. We have bought and owned a lot of cars over the years, I have never experienced what I experienced at Nils Sefeldt Dallas. There is more I could add but I wouldn't choose to do so in an open forum such as this. How have things been for you at Volvo of Richardson?
  • Options
    I called VCNA yesterday and today and they told me there will be a delay because someone in Sweden did not enter info into the computer before they left on holiday.

They said they can not track the car at this point (but will be able to soon) and to call back next week. They told me the shipment has cleared customs and has gone through their prepping service. They have changed the estimated deliver date from beginning or middle of next week to end of next week/beginning of the following week.

I just wish they would let me pick it up at Newark. I would be there this afternoon if they would.
  • Options
    Wh thunder tx, I have seen you on the Yahoo club and assume you read my post about the mysterious "oversray" on the windshield. I took the car by today for them to look at. My salesman, Richard, tried his best to get it off. He then took it to the Service Manager to look at. They can "feel" and see what I am talking about, but can't get it off. They are going to have their glass company look at it Wednesday and give me a loaner. Richard was very nice and understood. I should have mentioned it the day I picked up the car, but was so nervous (hate the looking, buying butlove the new car)that I just thought it would clean off. At times I thought it was off, till the sun hit it just right. Between vacations, forgetting about it until I saw it etc., I failed to notify the dealer of the problem. I would never ask someone to fix something I damaged, my ethics are to high for that. However, Richard was very understanding and is handling the problem. Hopefully the glass company can buff it out. Now that the long explanation is over, yes I am happy with Volvo of Richardson. I started at Nils, tried visiting them several times since they are close to my house, but ended up buying at Volvo of
    Richardson. My experience was good and after today, I will take the car to them for service.
  • Options
    papadoc1papadoc1 Member Posts: 10
    MY WIFE IS CONSTANTLY COMPLAINING THAT THE SEAT BELT ON THE DRIVERS SIDE IS CUTTING INTO HER NECK...HAS ANY ONE ELSE HAD THIS PROBLEM ?? DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS HOW TO CORRECT IT.. MY MB AND LANDROVER WERE ABLE TO VARY THE HEIGHT OF THE BELT TO ACCOMMODATE SMALL PEOPLE OR TALL PEOPLE.
    HELP ?
  • Options
    I have the same problem. Have your wife raise the seat as far up as possible. Also "play" with different positions. I finally got the seat adjusted to where the belt is comfortable until it starts to ride up on my neck. I purchased a seat belt adjuster for my daughter who sits in the back seat. The kind I got her looks like a "pistol" case. It works great for her and keeps the belt away from her neck. Am planning on getting one for me. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Keithpa - bummer! I know you are anxious to get your car. You mean the car didn't ship out of Sweden the day they promised? I'd be fit to be tied if it was me!

From what I understand, there are legal complications in getting the car cleared directly to the owner at the port, and I can imagine VCNA found it preferable to put a stop to that.

Keep us posted on progress.

BTW, if you could send me your email address, I've got something I'd like to share with you. Contact me at mrtsix@hotmail.com

Thanks, Broeux
  • Options
    Ignore that part about the car shipping from Sweden, Keithpa. Now I remember it had already arrived in port!! Still a bummer, though. But what's the computer entry in Sweden got to do with putting the car on the truck at the port? Did you try calling the port directly to see what the delay is?

Broeux
  • Options
    cu503cu503 Member Posts: 39
    hi, am owner and sometimes driver of 00 S 80 7500+ miles (wife car) second oil change by myself, note service engine light has started to come on , assume for oil change? Long ago I saw trick to reset light, can someone pls jog my memory? Thanks to all, David
  • Options
    I believe the proper sequence to reset your service light; turn ignition key to position I, push in and hold the odometer reset button (use your left hand), move the ignition key to position II, wait until you see the service light blinking, then release the odometer reset button.
    Caution make sure it is only a reminder of an oil change.
  • Options
    Broeux,

I believe the computer entry in Sweden has to do with their tracking system. I beleive they use the tracking system to tell the delivery company which dealer to ship the car to.
  • Options
    I called the customs broker at the port and they referred me to VCNA. From what I understand it is now in the hands of the delivery company.

My email address is keithnj2@excite.com
  • Options
    trunbotrunbo Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased a 2K T-6. Am curious about break-in do's and dont's. We can't seem to find any specifics in literature given to us by dealer. Also, are 2000's equipped without a cargo net in the trunk, red warning lights in the doors and automatic fold down rearseat headrests? I've been told by the saleman that 2000's do not have these features, but in Volvo's own owner's manual there is information about each. Fellow T-6 owners, please advise. I just want to make sure that I am not being taken. Also, if you have any other insights about this car, they would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time, AC
  • Options
    trunbotrunbo Member Posts: 2
    Recently purchased a 2K T-6. Am curious about break-in do's and dont's. We can't seem to find any specifics in literature given to us by dealer. Also, are 2000's equipped without a cargo net in the trunk, red warning lights in the doors and automatic fold down rear seat headrests? I've been told by the salesman that 2000's do not have these features, but in Volvo's own owner's manual there is information about each. Fellow T-6 owners, please advise. I just want to make sure that I am not being taken. Also, if you have any other insights about this car, they would be most appreciated.

Thanks for your time, AC
  • Options
    therobottherobot Member Posts: 1
    I drive a 1999 S80-T6 with 48,000 miles on it. Over the last 8000 miles, a rattle has developed. It sounds like a strut mount is loose or something. This is a slight rattle that appears whenever the front suspension has to adjust to a new height (going over a small bump). Volvo dealer replaced suspension bushings that solved another noise (creaking) when the wheel is turned, but still this other noise remains. Any ideas out there?
  • Options
    umbertobumbertob Member Posts: 39
    Has anyone had the wood and leather steering wheel installed by a local dealer in an S80? If so, how much were you charged for it? The dealer I got my T6 from was not even sure about availability of this option at first, then quoted me a price that seemed a bit too high to me (about $700 for part and labor). I know some of the "regulars" here got their wood steering wheel installed by Volvo as part of their OSD program, but am wondering if this option can be added later for a more reasonable price.

I am also looking for a good/cheap source of the OEM 10-cd changer (Alpine?) I have the Pro-Logic system and I think the car is already pre-wired for the changer in the trunk. Assuming I find the changer, is it something I can install by myself?

Thanks for your help, and sorry if these questions have been asked before. I checked a few pages of older messages and could not find any related subjects.
  • Options
    howardwhowardw Member Posts: 4
    I also just purchased a 2000 T6 and it is equipped with a cargo net in the trunk, red warning lights in the doors and automatic fold down rearseat headrests. So if yours does not have these I would check the information plate on the inside of the rear door for the date of manufacture. On the subject of break-in my dealer said that non is required other than varying the speed for the first few thousand miles. They also suggested an initial oil change at 3000 miles.
  • Options
    Umberto, the wood/leather steering wheel was a $195 option on our 9/99 OSD order. I inquired at the time what the dealer would charge for an installed wheel later, and they quoted $495, as I recall, a figure that I considered excessive. Having never removed/replaced a steering wheel on any car, much less the S80, I can't appreciate how difficult it could be, and I also don't know how much the actual wheel would cost me from the parts department, so I don't know how much of that $495 was labor. Of course, you're losing all the way around, because you paid for the original wheel in the price of the car, then you're paying for the new one.

Broeux
  • Options
    kevin19kevin19 Member Posts: 2
    Hey, many thanks. Got the wide-angle mirror from borton volvo (service guy at my volvo was surprised) and it's being installed today (along with the backup warning system as well). appreciate your help. Looking forward to not taking my life in my hands as much while merging. That b-pillar is thick.
  • Options
    joel2468joel2468 Member Posts: 75
    Does anyone know if S80s prior to 2001 can be retrofitted with the new and improved airbag sensors on the 2001? The new sensors reportedly (1) don't deploy the airbags at low speeds---5mph bumper hit--- and (2) are two stage. Thanks.
  • Options
    bobvatbobvat Member Posts: 2
    i heard that Volvo dealers now have a $1500 factory incentive to help move out the 2000 inventory of S80's. Can anyone confirm this?
  • Options
    umbertobumbertob Member Posts: 39
    Howard, yours must have been an early build 2000. My T6, build date 5/2000, does not have cargo net, red warning lights in doors or the folding headrests in the rear, although I can see just fine with the headrests up. I did miss the cargo net, though. On the plus side, my steering wheel's cruise and stereo controls are illuminated (I think early MY2000 were lacking this feature).
  • Options
    howardwhowardw Member Posts: 4
    You are correct. My 2000 was built in 11/99 and does not have the illumination on the steering wheel controls. Are there any other variations on the 2000 models?
  • Options
    chuckmikachuckmika Member Posts: 1
    This is a copy of a message I just posted in the "S80 reliability" topic:

I haven't posted for a while..haven't had much time to review the board. My 2000 T6 now has 10000 miles (8 months owned) and I have had zero problems. It truly is the best car I have ever owned. I recently drove to San Francisco / San Jose from Seattle. About 800 miles each way. I was so happy that I was sitting in my S80! The seats were(and are) very comfortable. During my 13 hour straight run home back to Seattle I was never uncomfortable. Of course the quiet, smooth ride helped as did the upgraded stereo. I averaged 28.2 mpg on the highway with only one stop for gas. The car does have range! My average speed was between 75-80 mph.(legal was 70 most of the time) It felt as smooth and quiet as 40mph. If you are thinking about purchasing this car then I strongly recommend it! And if you can wait I would recommend purchasing it via the European Delivery program. I bought mine that way and had alot of fun.
  • Options
    papadoc1papadoc1 Member Posts: 10
    TWINDY
    WHERE DID YOU BUY THE SEAT BELT ADAPTOR AND WHAT
    IS IT CALLED ?

THANK YOU
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #258:

howardw, the other variation is that the cars with the illuminated steering wheel lights also have the smog eating radiators (the Premair catalyst that turns ozone into oxygen).

-rdo
    rdollie@home.com
  • Options
    I purchased the seat belt adjustsed at Walmart for $10.00. It is "faux" lambs wool. I think they are called seat belt adjusters. Found it in the automotive section with all the gadgets. They make them for children, "Safety First". the one I bought was near the one for children but is for adults. It looks like a pistol case. Works great for us.
  • Options
    emachineemachine Member Posts: 17
    Just got back from driving my 2001 Nautic Blue/Light Sand S80 T6 around Scandinavia. What a great way to buy a car!

My wife and I put about 1500 miles on the car in Denmark, Norway and Sweden. Driving is very easy over there unless you are in the city centers.(I usually just parked it) It was especially nice to have the car in the fjords of Norway, so you can get to all the spectacular scenery. I would highly recommend this program to anyone who is interested.

Volvo picked us up from the airport and put us up at the Gothenburg Plaza Elite. The room was small, but it is a very elegant hotel. I highly recommend it. The robe and slippers they provide were a hit with the wife. Picking up and dropping off the car was painless, except for a little jet lag.

The factory was closed when we picked up the car, so we did not get to take the tour. However, they took us to the new(March 2000) Crash Test Facility which is not open to the public. It cost over $80 million and was very impressive. The Building had a large center with Hollywood style lighting and cameras to film every angle of the crashes. Two long tunnels extended from the center--and one of these tunnels was adjustable! The entire thing is on air jets so that you can adjust the angle of a collision fron head on to 90 degrees or in between. It literally was a building arm that could be moved! They also use this arm to send cars shooting out of the center into a rockpile and a pond. We didn't get to see a crash, ( a new prototype crash was set for the following day--top secret!)but they did have an S80 upside down on a lift ready to drop on its head. They also had hundreds of wrecked cars piled up in the back. Volvo may have it detractors, but I am convinced they spare no expense on safety testing.

The car drove like a dream. It felt good in dry and rainy weather. The only problems I had were.

1 On the front passenger side, the carpet was not tucked under the molding in one spot. They said this would be taken care of before shipping.

2 The 2001 manual isn't in yet! They gave me a 2000 and a British 2001. Supposedly I will get a 2001 in the mail. Any of you who have bought 2001's in the states let me know what year your manual is.

3 On the second day, I got an error message saying "Bulb failure, dipped beam" This would pop up and disappear for a few days, then disappeared completely. The lights seem to work fine. Strange.

4 The shift knob felt plasticy and did not smoothly settle into drive. I also had to really work it to get it into manual. Sometimes the knob would be down in the manual area, but the car would still be in automatic. I eventually got kind of used to this and made sure every time that the light was on next to the D and that the knob was securely in the slot. I guess I can live with this, but I will have my dealer look at it when the car gets here a month from now, Ugh. Anyone else have this problem?

These problems were all minor and the whole experience was fantastic. Now, the wait begins again.
  • Options
    oldhapoldhap Member Posts: 3
    Has anyone purchased the Volvo roof rack that works with the S80's? If so, did you get it from the dealer? Cost? Ease of use?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    emachine,

Welcome back!!!

Glad to here you had a great trip! The crash facility sound very interesting. I did not get a 2001 manual yet so you are not alone.

My car arrived thursday and I am having a great time driving it. I would definitely get the dealer to look at that problem with the shift.
  • Options
    fjkleinfjklein Member Posts: 1
    This is my first message at this townhall. Last month I purchased a 2000 S-80 T-6, silver with granite leather. Just love it, best car I've ever owned. And I have previously owned three Volvos.

A little background. I've been driving Volvo wagons wince 1973: a 240DL, 740GLE, and a 940 turbo. I was looking for something different, and was looking seriously at an Audi A6 2.7T. I read over 1000 messages on the Edmunds townhalls and went back to Volvo and got the S-80 T-6.

So far no problems at all. And yes, for someone who asked, there is a $1500 disc/rebate for previous Volvo owners. The only comment I might make about the car in terms of what I wish it had, is that I wish Volvo had put a little more sound proofing to further deaden the road noise feedback. Otherwise it is a gas to drive. It just wants to fly. I love it. Frank
  • Options
    scustredscustred Member Posts: 2
    I purchased the roof rack and it works great. Easy to attach. I purchased it through the dealer but don't remember the price, as it was last year when I purchased it. I am thinking it was around $130. I'll check and get back to you.