Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volvo S80

Comments

• Options
    derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    Hi,

I called Lawrence Volvo today and was told that the Nav System is *NOT* a Dealer Installed Option, or that even if it is, they're not sure if it would be cost-effective to install. Looks like I am going to miss this fantastic system!
  • Options
    vjscottvjscott Member Posts: 1
    re: #164 I have a 2000 S80 T6. I got my nav sys installed at McKevitt Volvo in Berkeley. Works like a charm with clean installation. Even if it may cost a little more than factory installation, it's certainly better than another brand's add on.
  • Options
    dfwt6dfwt6 Member Posts: 24
    "High Performance" is the euphemism for "metallic". "Standard" is the euphemism for "non-metallic".

I've got "high performance" on my side windows and "standard" on the back so as to not interfere with radio reception. (No NAV). Picked up that back glass tidbit from one of these boards, thank you very much!

So, if you're not sure (after it's been installed) what you've got, look for a slightly chromic reflection from the tint that you won't get from standard tint.

Philzornes: If Volvo of Richardson's-recommended contractor did that tint job they damn well better be paying for its removal. And, remember, you're limited to 20% (?-double check State law) visibility on front windows, which is almost like limo glass using the high performance tint. That's what I've got on the back windows, and 30% on the front. It's plenty dark from the outside and especially the 30% really isn't so bad from the inside.

Iskowitz: I've got kids riding around in back in the Texas summer which is why I did 20% in back, but if that's not a concern to you I'd say 30% metallic on side windows all around would be just fine, just put non-metallic on back window.
  • Options
    keithpakeithpa Member Posts: 17
    What I meant by saving on sales tax is for example, if you pay $3500 less for the car you will pay $210 less in sales tax (6% of $3500) for a total saving of $3710. Or at least I am assuming so because my car is expected to be delivered August 1st so I have not paid the sales tax yet. I do have a bill of sale from the OSD Center that has the OSD price of the car (not including the registration/insurance) and I assume that will be used to calculate the sale tax.

Glad to hear that you were satisfied with Pitcairn's service department. In my limited dealing with them so far I am very satisfied with the whole Pitcairn operation. I looked at cars at Princeton Volvo (since I work near them) and found them to be rude so I went to Pitcairn (near where I live).
  • Options
    I was surprised to find the recommended oil change interval is 7500 miles. Maybe I am from the old school but I believe that it should be changed every 3-4K mile so that sounds a very long. I noticed one of you mentioned changing at half that interval. Does anyone else out there do that? I believe I am going to use the synthetic oil (never used it before) and I do not know if that holds up longer then the standard oil.

Any comments appreciated.
  • Options
    javaseajavasea Member Posts: 11
    Great idea. How does one go about setting it up? Do you remember the part where some of us talked about the rubber air dam piece in the front that kept coming loose and we had to keep putting it back? Well I discovered mine gone the other day and asked the dealer about it, as I had just had the car in for the 3500 mile check up. The service technician said they had a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) on it from Volvo who said "Just remove it when the cars come in, as it keeps falling down." Any one have more information on this item. Also, I just visited National Highway Traffic Safety Agency (NIHTSA) site to look for recent TSBs on the 2000 S-80. A few more, but nothing major. Nothing I found "wrong" on my car, but some of you might find it of interest to visit that site from time to time. I keep seeing more and more S-80s in the Atlanta area and in my neighborhood. Take care, folks, and keep those "cards" and "letters" coming.

javasea
  • Options
    broeuxbroeux Member Posts: 46
    When we were Pitcairn customers we lived in the Somerton section of Northeast Philadelphia, just down the pike from Langhorne. What area do you live in? We looked at Volvos there long ago, pre-S80 days, when we weren't crazy about the "brick" style. After owning the S80, I'm even beginning to appreciate the bricks.
  • Options
    I had the same question and got the same answer: Yes, 7,500 miles, particularly if oil is synthetic as it is less prone to breakdown.

For the record, my 7,500 mile service cost $159.53; $138 for interval maintenance, $6.95 for filter, $1.08 for gasket, $13.50 for Durablend 10/30.
  • Options
    keithpa2keithpa2 Member Posts: 3
    brouex,

I live in Yardley/Lower Makefield.

I assume by "brick" you mean how boxy Volvos were. I always hated Volvos becuase of that. I am really happy with the style of the S-80. If it was boxy I would not have bought it.
  • Options
    too_redtoo_red Member Posts: 3
    I have taken the liberty of creating a Volvo S80 club at Yahoo. I have been involved in other Yahoo hosted clubs and find them very flexible and easy to use. (You'll need a Yahoo username, of course, but once that is done it's easy to join clubs.) Club members can post messages, upload photos (large ones can be resized down), post links and there is a decent chat room setup available.

Here's the link:

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/volvos80

If you have questions, email me at ridgetop@mountain.net

Bob
  • Options
    Yep, keithpa, boxy is what I mean. Always wanted the Volvo safety factor without the brick factor; also, interiors just didn't speak "luxury" and comfort to me. But the very first S80 I saw turned my head, and I knew, at last, there was a Volvo I could love.

Have you been to the brickboard?

http://www.brickboard.com/AWD/?model=S80
  • Options
    javaseajavasea Member Posts: 11
    Thanks. I just jointed the S-80 Club. I guess I have to get an email form Yahoo before I can post a message.

I did not request the special oil, just the regular stuff. I too will be changing my oil every 3,000 miles or so. We do mostly, 98% stop-and-go in town driving. The worst for a car.

Javasea
  • Options
    rsarrattrsarratt Member Posts: 1
    I have almost talked myself into purchasing a S80, but want to wait until the 2001 comes out (hopefully with the little glitches like the trim & air bag problems ironed out). Any information on when they will be available. I'm hearing Oct/Nov.
  • Options
    kjewelkjewel Member Posts: 19
    Anybody found a good quality sun shade for the front window? My old Saab 900 had a specially designed one from Saab but Volvo doesn't make one (apparently) for its S-80s. Any suggestions appreciated.
  • Options
    mtroymtroy Member Posts: 45
    I want to be convinced to buy, but bailed last April because of all the concerns and most importantly the poor reputation of Volvo's service and corporate offices. Unfortunately, there's no other car I like. Acura TL comes close, but I'm driving it's ancestor, the Vigor, which I love but am looking for something different. I'll wait to see the '01 MB C320, and then give my "final answer." In the meantime, here's what Volvo can do for me: (1) acknowledge the airbag and bushing probs and explain the fix; (2) fix the AM radio (gotta listen to "The Jungle"); (3) match the side moldings to the color (I like silver, but not with black trim); (4) those rear headrests better flop down; (5) get some new wheels (Arrakis are too hard to clean; the other is outdated, and the 2.9 std wheels are ugly IMHO); (6) eliminate non-working buttons and center the working ones. I realize these seem petty, but combined with the fear of poor reliability and bad service, they're enough to scar me off for now. One question, what scheduled maintenance is there for the Turbo chargers? I.e., at 100k, do they need to be replaced or given some expensive service?
  • Options
    ctw2000ctw2000 Member Posts: 3
    Question: Does anyone know if there are any incentives, hold backs, etc. for 2000 S80 T6? I have always heard that Volvo dealers do not have much room to negotiate. How low can they go? We will want to buy within the next 2 months and thus would like to be completely price informed.
  • Options
    I happy with one from Brookstone--its a good fit.

Broeux
  • Options
    Phil, Borton Volvo parts dept. was wrong. The remote control operates the system perfectly, with no software download.

Broeux
  • Options
    gblock348gblock348 Member Posts: 5
    Dealers in this area (western PA) are taking orders for 2001 s80's and promising delivery in 6-8 weeks. General shipments are supposedly coming into the east coast port of entry in early August. Pricing details are not available, but the OSD prices will give you a good ballpark estimate, and are very similar to 2000 prices other than some changes in option packaging. Invoice price in the US has increased from 37000 to 37850, but includes leather and sunroof, which was a 960 invoice price in 2000. Non-leather interior has been dropped. Premair and folding rear headrests are standard.

Geoff
  • Options
    shellzshellz Member Posts: 51
    We too are now experiencing the bushing/clunking noise under the driver foot well. It's still a pretty new problem--only noticed it for about two days; however, I knew from the start that it was a real problem because of earlier post. And about those posts, has anyone found a solution to the problem?

BTW, while I was searching through the posts, I noticed that someone else was having problems with their HU 801 audio system making scratching, static noises while the dolby pro logic is engaged. We had that problem too, but it was finally fixed with the replacing of the headset.

Thanks for your help
  • Options
    derekchoyderekchoy Member Posts: 36
    Thanks for your info. Can you tell me how much it is to get a dealer installed nav sys? and how long does it take?
  • Options
    broeux,

I agree with you about Volvos in the past were not luxury. Their interiors were for lack of a better word utilitarian. That definitely has changed with the S-80. The car is definitely not boxy and is very luxurious. They can now compete with the Germans (BMW, Audi, Mercedes) in the luxury department. I do not know if Ford had anything to do with the change or they simple figured out that if they added style and luxury to their reputation for safety and reliability they would have a winning combination.

No, I have not checked out the brick board but will.
  • Options
    keithpa: I don't think Ford's takeover had anything to do with the S80 styling, inside or out. My information comes from Road&Track's "Special Series, Guide to the Volvo S80," published when the S80 was introduced in 1998. At that time it was reported that Englishman Peter Horbury had been working at Volvo for 7 years on the task of "bringing the company's exterior and interior design into a new era." Prior to the S80, he headed up the design team that produced the C70.

The team he headed up for the S80 development included American Doug Frasher, who designed the exterior; and Mexican native Jose L. Diaz de la Vega, who designed the interior. It's reported that the basic exterior design concept was introduced at an auto show in 1992.

Horbury himself voiced your and my sentiments when he spoke of the task of coming up with an exciting new design: "The biggest challenge was to change an image without losing the identity. Volvo was known throughout the world, a very strong name. But in many markets its very positive attributes, such as safety and reliability, were equated with 'not too exciting.'"

He added "...I felt that there was no reason we couldm't have everything and make it look good as well."

From what I gather in my research and brief travel around Sweden, Swedes are typically very practical, probably frugal people--no offense intended to Swedish readers. The old Volvo "bricks" suit them just fine. It seemed like at least every other car we met on the back roads of Sweden was a Volvo, many of them really old. But outside of Göteborg and its suburbs, we saw only a couple of S80's on the back roads and in smaller cities, and only a couple more even in the "big city" of Stockholm during a three day stay (there Volvos in general did not dominate--saw lots of VW, BMW, MB, other European makes, some SAAB and lots of Fords).

Stopping at a Volvo dealer between Kalmar and Stockholm to see if he had any European license frames for our license plate, he had zero S80's on the premises, and frankly I got the impression he had never seen one.

First, of course, the S80 is very expensive. At the factory delivery center I was told that a car like ours would cost over 55K. (To put a navigation system on it, the owner would have to pay over $400 a month to the government in taxes--that info came from the delivery center mgr. who said the company wouldn't even let him have a navigation system.) But, also, the S80 probably doesn't appeal as much to the average practical Swede. But to me, they came up with a real winner!

Incidentally, another piece of information learned at the Göteborg Torslanda visit, from a public relations person, was that the S80 was at the time the ONLY Volvo produced in Sweden. I have read that they eventually planned to build some other models on the same platform in Göteborg, but I don't know if that has materialized to date. It's sort of like we have the only "genuine" Volvos now!!

Broeux
  • Options
    iskowitziskowitz Member Posts: 5
    broeux, I agree the pinnacle bodywork shampoo i slike bubble bath. Cant beat the smell of this stuff.

When you going to come over the the Yahoo Volvo club that was started up. Place for links, pics and others.

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/volvos80

Aaron
  • Options
    cacamiocacamio Member Posts: 8
    Just had 7500 mile service on '99 S80 in Texas for $38.41 including tax, with S70 loaner and car wash and vacuum at no charge.
  • Options
    shaunsshauns Member Posts: 24
    Just to let you guys know that I'm now at 12K
    miles on my 99 2.9 S80. 2nd oil change, first
    major problems:

1. The dreaded bushing problem, surfaced at 11K;
    2. Failed mass air flow sensor. This module is
    a critical part of the throttle body; failure
    can cause slow shifting (!), inconsistent idle,
    stall outs, and jackrabbiting. Rather rare
    failure.

Horrible? Inexcusable? Not really. I had my 92 Accord in the shop 5 times in the first year and went through 3 clutch plates as the factory tried to fix a clutch grabbing problem. In comparison,
    the Volvo has been really rather trouble free, and the dealer has been very attentive and thorough.
  • Options
    sarahl1sarahl1 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing an S80 but when I took it for a test drive the car never cooled to the thermostat setting. Has anyone else had air conditioning problems?
  • Options
    The long-promised revamp of the Volvo Owner's Circle site has arrived:

https://owners.volvocars.com/FormsLoginSSL.asp?Make=Volvo&L=49&N=840

Includes online manuals, warranty/service information, workbooks on older models, driving tips, trip planning, mechanical info, symptom description form to complete and take with you to service department, etc.

Be sure to look for the form to submit for free subscription to VOLVO MAGAZINE.

broeux
  • Options
    jarchjarch Member Posts: 16
    I own a 2000 S80 (since March 2000) and live in Southern California. I use the air conditioning all the time and it works very well (no problems cooling down the car). In fact, I often end up turning down the fan because it cools 'too' well, even at the nominal (72 degrees or so) settings on both sides. My car is black with a light grey interior and I also have tinted windows to help eliminate direct sun/heat.

Anyway, I have never seen any posts (in recent memory) on air conditioning issues, so maybe you didn't wait long enough for the car to cool down if the car was left out in the sun and the inside temperature was very high.

Try test driving a different car if you have any concerns - I don't think you'll find the AC to be an issue at all.

Good luck!
  • Options
    twindytwindy Member Posts: 18
    I have been advised by the dealer where I purchased my S80 that the 7500 service would be $179.00. I have read on this site anywhere from $38. on up. I am wondering about the wide discrepancies. Are some people just getting an oil change and others having the dealership check everything out. IF this is the case, is the warranty still in force if I choose only an oil change? (Am planning on doing an oil change before 7500) Volvo said that any certified shop can do the maintenance as long as they use Volvo parts, including oil filters. I would appreciate any help or advice. A mechanic or car expert I am not!
  • Options
    jarchjarch Member Posts: 16
    twindy - that service in post 190 was in Texas for $38. My dealer is in Southern Calif (Volvo Irvine) and the base service fee for me was $149, and with a couple of VADIS changes (programming), some misc. 'service' parts, and using Mobil 1, my total bill quickly shot up to $270. Ouch!

Sure seems there is a wide range of costs as you pointed out. I do plan to take my oil change services to my local Volvo mechanic instead of this dealer next time...

Buyer beware, I guess.
  • Options
    Like jarch, we find the A/C cools very well, even during recent heat wave with temp approaching 100 (nautic blue with silver granite interior and sunscreens--which are not really a factor in a sun-baked car!). Frequently have to turn down the fan, as it will freeze you out. Of course, when you first get in a car that's been baking in the sun, you should open the windows briefly and blow out the hot air, then allow a reasonable period of time for the A/C to cool it down.

broeux
  • Options
    mmullenmmullen Member Posts: 17
    Sarah, the air conditioning on the S80 has a manual over-ride so even if the climate control is set to a cool temperature, the air conditioning will not come on unless the air button has been depressed and the red light is on. Once you turn it on it will remember that setting next time you use the car. I hope this helps.
  • Options
    max1966max1966 Member Posts: 2
    Need some advice on cleaners for the interior(dash, console, etc) of my 2000 S80.

Thanks.
  • Options
    I am about to decide which floor mats to get, the rubber or the textile. From the picture in the accessory catalog I like the textile better but I am worried about cleaning them. Any suggestions as to which to get and what did they cost?

Thanks in Advance.
  • Options
    keithpa, we have both, and both are very nice. The carpet mats are a bit dressier, but the rubber dish mats aren't bad looking at all. Our carpet mats are not so hard to keep clean; I've successfully removed some tar/grease spots them without damage, using a portable carpet shampooer or just a mild cleaner. The rubber mats are great for winter use, like in snow in your area; or for rainy periods, like where we now live. If the budget permits, I think one should have both.
  • Options
    You're here in the Dallas area, right?

From my invoice at Volvo of Richardson: my 7,500 mile service cost $159.53; $138 for interval maintenance, $6.95 for filter, $1.08 for gasket, $13.50 for Durablend 10/30. Unless there was some coupon or dealer incentive to the contrary, I'm curious if the "interval maintenance" was not performed for that $38 price.

I learned a VERY expensive lesson in an old VW Scirocco (remember those?) and got a stern warranty warning when taking delivery of its replacement (a Jetta), to NEVER NEVER NEVER NEVER use anything but factory parts for oil changes. So, for whatever incremental cost difference there might be, if there's a dealer that's accessible to you, I'd just let them do it.
  • Options
    cacamiocacamio Member Posts: 8
    Looks like we have a conundrum here - we have a wide range of price on 7500 mile service. Since I posted the $38.41 figure, I had better make a few more comments. I did ask the service writer when I picked up the car if all the suggested checks had been made on the car, he assured me that they had and stamped my book for 7500 mile service. The only other factor I need to add is that I also had them do the bushing/O ring job on the car that day due to the CLUNK (under warranty and I have not been able to replicate the clunk on my usual route, so I hope it is gone for good). There was no coupon, but perhaps since I bought the car there it was a special rate...I don't know, but I'll try to find out more about this. Any other theories?
  • Options
    What a wonderful gesture by your dealer if they are covering your service (a la Audi), or are showing complete honesty if no 'override' is needed if all they're doing is the oil change. Details found will be good to know!
  • Options
    keithwandkeithwand Member Posts: 23
    I'll be getting rid of a co. car and am considering the S80.
    What can S80 owners tell me about quality/fit/ finish.
    Turbo or std 2.9?
    What lease payment is out there for 2 or 3 yrs w/ 15K miles annually and 0 down. Should qualify for X Plan through sisters father in law.
    How compares to Saab 9-5?
    How good in snow?
    Thanks all.
    Thanks all.
  • Options
    keithwand: If you spend a few hours reviewing this Part V of the S80 topic and then back up to Parts III and IV (or all the way to Part I if you have plenty of time), you will find LOTS of comments about the S80.

Personally, as to fit/finish, I find our S80 worthy of the designation of "luxury car," comparable to our prior Lexus. Assuming you are at least somewhat familiar with the S80, you will already know that this is no ordinary Volvo. If you sit behind the wheel even briefly, you will surely appreciate the attention to quality and finish of the interior, the spaciousness and the comfort of the best seats money can buy (at least in the T6--someone else can address the 2.9). Drive it just a short distance and I'm betting you will be wanting to "throw rocks" at the competition. I don't think there is any other car which offers so much for so little. (Actually, The Auto Channel presented Volvo its "Overall Car of the Year Award" on 10/8/99, for "style, safety and luxury at a reasonable price.")

T6 vs. 2.9--personal choice. Both are great. After driving the T6, there was no turning away for me. Pure excitement. Depends on your likes, needs and budget. You be the judge.

Sorry I can't help with you with lease information. Never could get into leasing; I have a personal relationship with our T6, and knowing I didn't OWN it just wouldn't be the same! :-)

Broeux
  • Options
    Yes, I do live in the Dallas area. Purchased car at Volvo of Richardson. I would like to know more about the $38.41 charge. I am questioning the $179. they quoted me since the 'book' only seems to list the standard items to check (usually done at an oil change). I had a Lexus previously and did all of the factory/dealer services. Spent a small fortune and can't tell it saved me in the long run over "typical" oil and fluid changes done on past cars, including an Acura. Torn boots, power steering pump went out, loose motor mounts (car was never wrecked), etc. As I said, I don't know much about cars. If the maintenance schedule and paying the high prices for the "extra" service buys me longer, more reliable, trouble free car, then it is worth the money. If changing the fluids and minimal routine maintenance buys me the same, I want to opt for the latter. I do agree with Volvo in their policy that you need to use their parts. Will have service done at the dealership, just not sure which "level" to request.
    Many thanks for everyone's help.
  • Options
    I have a 2.9 and love the car. The seats are the most comfortable I have found. A friend test drove the S70 and said the same for those seats. I think Volvo does a great job on the all of their seats. The fit and finish is worthy of a luxury car. Have had a Lexus and Acura. One post noted a few very minor improvements Volvo could make, ie centering of the controls, leaving the "blank" ones out, etc. I find this very minor and did not even notice this until reading this post and I am pretty particular. T-6 or 2.9? Matter of choice. The 2.9 fit me better. I don't drive fast and living in the DFW area, don't have much of an opportunity to use the extra power. However, I am sure many T-6 owners would not agree. I am a "Mom" with kids in the car so the 2.9 works great for me. the 2.9 has plenty of power for passing and getting in and out of heavy traffic.
  • Options
    keithwandkeithwand Member Posts: 23
    Thanks for your comments. I just sold my 99 Lexus GS400 last month for a co. Taurus and actually is partly why I am changing jobs. Hate the car. We also bought and put the 40K in a CD so am thinking of leasing. With taxes we lost 11K in 1 yr and 8,000 miles so either way you lose.
    I too like power so prob. will go with the turbo. Glad that you both compared w/ Lexus because other than the white plastic body panels yellowing and repainted at Lexus cost the car was absolutely great. Just can't bring myself to go back to American and besides I am Swedish ancestry.
  • Options
    howardwhowardw Member Posts: 4
    I am a new member and a new owner of a 2000 S80 T6. I learned alot by reading these posts before getting my new Volvo. I want to protect the finish with wax and have learned from this forum that Pinnacle seems to be the wax of choice. Although Pinnacle Souveran seems to be the top of the line and the preferred choice, I have gotten some conflicting information from Pinnacle. Their literature says that the Souveran wax is primarily intended for dark finishes like red and black, although they say it may be used on light finishes. Pinnacle says that the preferred products for light finishes are their Paste Glaze and Creme Glaze. The color of my new S80 is Moondust. Does anyone have any experience or information on what the best choice would be for this color?
  • Options
    emachineemachine Member Posts: 17
    Off to Sweden this weekend to collect my T6! Thanks to all for helping me gather information on the OSD program. Will update when I get back in 2 weeks.
  • Options
    wh_thunder_txwh_thunder_tx Member Posts: 5
    I have used Pinnacle Souveran on my 2000 S80 WHITE T6 since I took delivery in March. It absolutely glistens.
  • Options
    Have a GREAT time in Sweden!!!

PS The hardest part is when you get back and have to wait for your car! It is really a tease because you come home with one set of keys and have no car to put them in. I will be getting my car Tuesday (01-AUG) can not wait!!!
  • Options
    emachine: Hope you have a nice trip. Will you have time to tour a bit in your new machine before bidding it farewell?

You will get some shipping papers that will show the shipping line carrying your car back home. You can go to...

http://www.shipguide.com/eur2nam.html

...and you should be able to track progress of your car's journey. Select "from" and "to" cities, the ship line and date of shipment and it will show you the voyage.

Tip: At least by the morning after the day it's due to arrive in port, call the port and check the status and ask when it will leave the port on the way to your dealer (unless you're picking it up at the port, which gets "involved"). Our car sat in the port a good 10 days waiting for a truck "heading your way." But, the same day I called they managed to get it on a truck, and it was here the next morning!

Have a safe trip and be sure to keep us posted.

Broeux
  • Options
    howardwhowardw Member Posts: 4
    After more research I have read in the S80 owners manual that Volvo recommends a Polymer sealant for protecting the finish. Does anyone have any experience with this type of finish? Is this better than a good carnuba wax? What are the better products, Klasse Glaze or Meguires #20 Poly Sealant? Any help on this question would be appreciated.