Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    BTW, I had a really good time in CA, and I really liked it. Very pretty. A great restaurant we went to was The Quiet Cannon overlooking Laguna Bay. Great surf and turf.
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    When we were down in SoCal for our annual D-Land pilgrimage last fall, we went up to Lake Arrowhead...and I didn't know where were mountains right near L.A., until we started climbing up above the the ahem, clouds...

I think a small civil war might help the PR people, Maltb.

--java (deeply-breathing-clean-mountain-air)doc
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Going to lunch so I can breathe some wonderfully tasty air. Actually what most people see in the LA basin is dust. It was there when the first settlers came, so I have heard historians say.

:)
  • Options
    alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I was under impression that we are discussing MPV problems here. Don't you people have anything else to talk about? I mean, any MPV problems for starter? [lol]

Suggestion (I guess to KarenS): Create an MPV roadside cafe in the MPV Owner's Club where all of us, bored with lack of problems MPV owners, could hang out and discuss pollution issues in CA.

P.S. I don't know why but I started to read other vans' problem forums (like Sienna, Ody, Windstar). And I must say the Windstar Problems II is really, well, "entertaining". Not that I like reading about other people's problems. Just feel this overwhelming sympathy to those people (sincerely). I though I read all posts of "iwasscammed", a mother of 4 who keeps struggling with her Ford dealership and her car. Going everywhere from dealership to Ford to lawyer and local radio, tv, etc. Read her posts starting from post #337 in "Ford Windstar Problems II" forum. She even set up a website where she describes all her "adventures" with the car and servicing (Time To Tell The Truth...).

I was astonished about how many people are gathering information against Ford to start class action lawsuits related to Windstar... And you people are talking about smog as seen through MPV's windshield :-)

• Options
    Okay...point taken... :-) We should stay on-topic.

Great suggestion too about the Cafe!
  • Options
    drdrevansdrdrevans Member Posts: 17
    It was smog, even in the 18th century. (Native fires were enough to do it.) The inversion layer over the LA Basin, the San Gabriel Valley, and the San Fernando Valley traps the junk that normally gets blown away or rises higher into the atmosphere.

I went to college not far from Los Alamitos (in Claremont) and it was the same deal; especially in the summer you couldn't see Mt. Baldy (in reality, Mt. San Antonio) less than 5 miles away. In the winter or when it was windy or right after rain, clear as a bell.

Now I live near Atlanta, where it's the same deal.

Back to thinking about how much I love our MPV....
  • Options
    I think we could "morph" the Meet the Owners (in MPV owners folder) topic into a cafe' environment. There's not much going on in there, and all of us chatting would be "meeting" us, so we could be staying on topic there, right? What do you all think?
  • Options
    I think we've all met and that board is rather slow moving anyhow.

Just to make this legit. I am experiencing a problem with my MPV. The self cleaning function has not worked since we got it. Can anyone tell me how to activate it?

• Options
    Just put into reverse, back out of garage a short distance and wait............ for rain.

Oh yeah! You're in CA, where it never rains, right? :)
  • Options
    Okay, sounds Super-D-Duper Blondemom1.

--java
  • Options
    superbondosuperbondo Member Posts: 29
    Maybe when people talk about something else that means our MPVs are relatively troublefree. I do understand the Windstar mom's fustration though. I talked about my local dealer before who was not particularly friendly during the first two encounters. Yesterday I brought my MPV for the bumper enhancement expecting cold shoulders from Mr unfriendly Karl again, but alas, there was this nice young pretty lady doing my paperwork. She was very patient and understanding listening to my pulling and lower on driver's side problems. She believed what I said about the MPV problems I read on the net and copied down the service bulletin number (thanks to Maltb). Even the service manager Mr BOB came by to chat with her and was very nice and said my problem will be solved to my satisfaction.

The have ordered replacment coil springs to be put on later. So I am pretty happy with my MPV now, with the dealer, and more so as the van is paid off month by month.
  • Options
    rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    There might be a problem with using the Meet the Members forum for a cafe. If we do, what'll we talk about on the Problems forum? Problems? If we try something as bizarre as that, this place could end up as busy as an "I love my Windstar" forum.

;)

RJ
  • Options
    ...I noticed that MochaVan has a very slight lean to the left while sitting in the level garage. Now, having almost absolutely no issues with it so far, how much lean are people with "da lean" seeing, and have they measured the left/right difference so I can do the same? Eyeballing it, it looks to be less than an inch difference.

--javadoc
  • Options
    msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    I too have noticed "Da Lean" I was going to search and find the post that mentions the TSB since it is not listed on ALLDATA. I want to get the thing fixed before this summer vacation. I'll pull out "Da yarrrrd stick" once the MPV comes home (oooppss) I mean when the wifey comes home.
  • Options
    What's up with that? You guys aren't from Chicago!!

Anyway, I remember, waaaaay back, someone actually got down there with a ruler, and came up with about 1 1/4 inch difference. I've never looked at mine too close, so I don't know. The same person determined that the actual components under the hood seemed to be the culprit. I guess the stuff on that side of the van is heavier.

If you wanted to look, it's back over a thousand posts in one of our topics. Good luck! :)
  • Options
    You know me...I'm waaaaaay too lazy to look back 1000 posts ago, hee! I'm on a "dah beaaars" kick after watching a great SNL skit at lunch today, so you'll have to forgive me. ;-)

Just put the summer tires on Mochavan tonight. So satisfying being able to change four tires by only jacking twice with my gargatuan floor jack. Now we can see what the fuel mileage is again. Better than the winter 14.5-16.5 I'd guess.

--j
  • Options
    gagpgagp Member Posts: 32
    x: where tiny spots were found
    X: where medium spots were found

Same places on both sides.

Silver (and don't laugh !) Driver
  • Options
    Thanks, Silver (rusty) Driver.

I'll look at mine closely and let you know if I can find anything on mine. MPV has a rust warranty for 5 years, or does it? I don't remember clearly. According to Mazda Canada web site: "body sheet metal perforation for 5 years". Does this mean perforation due to rust? Also does "sheet metal" term include window frames, areas around door handles, locks, etc which tend to start rusting faster? Any insight on that, anyone?

I'm starting to worry now. I was offered a rust protection treatment when I was buying mine but I didn't want it. Maybe I should have treated the van with it then? I guess it is not too late (it's only 8 month old now)...
  • Options
    drrocketdrrocket Member Posts: 67
    maltb & superbondo--

I don't recall ever seeing the service bulletin number (or getting to read the actual service bulletin) regarding the coil springs and their relationship to pulling and/or leaning. Would you please repost it so I will be adequately armed the next time I bring the '00 ES in for service. Thanks, I appreciate it.
  • Options
    ----------------
    02-003/01 LEFT SIDE OF VEHICLE APPEARS LOW

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)
    All 2000 MPVs with ABS.

DESCRIPTION
    Some vehicles when viewed from the rear, may appear to lean and/or sit lower on the left side, even without passengers or cargo. This may be caused by a variance in spring height. Replacement springs are available to address this concern.
    ----------------

Hope that helps.

• Options
    I think I'll schedule Mochavan for a visit to El Dealership when I head out on vacation...get them to fix the springs when they do my LOF.

BTW, measured the side-to-side difference last night on the van...3.0 cm (1-3/16"). How very interesting.

Also noted that the shocks are made by none other than Tokico, not bad at all. Who was it that was noticing some seepage on their rear shocks, because I noticed a tad of oil seepage on them, but not much at all.

--java
  • Options
    stevecanuckstevecanuck Member Posts: 33
    The rust "protection" wouldn't make any difference. They don't apply it where gagp's getting a problem and so will not cover it in their warranty. Chances are, gagp's rust is surface rust going from the outside going in, rather than vice versa. Probably a defective paint job. Mazda should cover it, but perforation means straight through rust, not surface rust.
  • Options
    They measured the lean to be 1/2 inch. I think under normal circumstances they would not think it would be a big deal. But thanks to maltb's bulletin number I provided them they have no excuse not to replace the springs.

They said the leaning may have something to do with the pulling and will do the alignment later. I'll see since some of yours lean but don't pull.
    Anyway rotarykid first gave the leaning info at post #839. I printed it out to show to the dealer so no sweat.
  • Options
    Hey doc, that's just some undercoating on your shocks, let me just wipe that off. All better?

Great, that will be $125.00. Please come again.

• Options
    bill me buddy...I'm good for it! Undercoating...never heard such a crock of malarkey, hahahaha.

--j
  • Options
    Does anybody have info on the inner tie rod repair? I read about it before but did not do anything about it. Now my service writer is very friendly I would like her to check into that. Any bulletin on that, maltb? Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    -------------------------------
    Bulletin No: 02-001/01
    2000 MPV - Knocking Noise At Front Of Vehicle

APPLICABLE MODELS
    2000 MPV with VIN lower than JM3 LW28** Y0 137197.

DESCRIPTION
    While traveling long distances during high ambient temperatures a knocking noise is heard from the front of the
    vehicle with a slight floor vibration. This condition usually occurs at less than 15 MPH. This concern may be caused
    by internal binding of the ball joint on the inner tie-rod ends of the steering rack during hot power steering fluid temperature
    conditions.
    --------------------

• Options
    billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Somebody set my mind at ease, please, and tell me that the MPV by nature has a lot of travel on the brake pedal. My new [1700m] van's pedal sinks almost level with the gas pedal when pressed. May have always been that way and I'm just now noticing it. I'd hate to think The President McKinley has brake problems already.

RJ
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    our brakes are fine on our LX, with 500 miles. Get it looked at, wouldn't want you to rear end a ODY:) My Protege had a similar problem at 2000 miles. Brought it in for service and they "bleed" the brakeline and all was well.
  • Options
    MPV's brake pedal is indeed "softer" than on many other vehicles. It takes some distance before pads actually start touching disks in brakes but after that it is steady and firm. You should definitely get it inspected if you suspect that it is normal but there IS some "dead depth" in the brake pedal... Other owners will correct me if I'm wrong.
  • Options
    I've not noticed anything on our MPV like that, but have always thought that vehicles with drum rear brakes (such as the MPV) had less of a direct feel to them, but that could be totally subjective. I do think the brakes on MochaVan are *darn* good. like alex and pj said, can't hurt to have a tech check them out. You could have something amiss, maybe some air in the brake lines, or who knows, maybe a leaky piston on one caliper, or something like that.

--java
  • Options
    Anyone out there with fog lights? Mine concern me somewhat. I'm not sure if they work as expected. When I turn on fogs, I don't see much difference (only road in nearest vicinity is lit better. Two weeks ago I got in a dense morning fog. And I swear there was no significant difference between fog lamps being on or off. I suspect that they might be misaligned or something (pointing downwards). Or is that as they should work? If this is the case, the fogs are just for make-up, not for fog... :-)

Any opinions on that?
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Drum brakes may get out of adjustment if you don't come to a complete stop in reverse, or don't back up much. For example, MrsTboner had the nasty habit of using drive to stop going backwards w/o even thinking about the brake pedal.

Find a empty parking lot, industrial court or somewhere that you can get going 10-20 MPH in reverse and stop the van completely. Do that a half dozen times, and your rear drum brakes should be adjusted. This will also save wear and tear on the front pads since the rears will do more work when properly adjusted.

Cheers,

TB
  • Options
    waltb2waltb2 Member Posts: 9
    I posted awhile back about some rust spots. They told me it was rail dust and acid rain from transport. Took it in and the had a body shop clean them off. After only 2 months it is a concern. So can't be for all the salt you have to put on the roads.

Haven't noticed anything coming back, but get it looked at now.
  • Options
    bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    I have fog lights. They definitely look nice but can't say they do much in the fog.

Rear springs and Tie Rods. I don't have the rear spring problem but might have the tie rod problem. Are either of these complicated repairs? My firm policy is to try to leave anything original as is unless it very definitely needs to be fixed or I am sure the dealer can't muck it up. No matter how good your repair person is, it's very hard to match factory quality in anything. Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    Just curious. As I understand it, a TSB is not a "covered" repair, just an acknowledgement of sorts. If it were a RECALL, it would be paid for by Mazda, but isn't a TSB repair the owners responsibility?
  • Options
    msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    I wouldn't think so if the vehicle is still under the bumper to bumper warranty!!!!
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Just tells what the problem is, and may indicate how to fix it.

Who's paying is a very different issue :)

TB
  • Options
    bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    There is absolutely no way the owner of a 2000 MPV should be paying for the repair of matters raised in a TSB unless they somehow blew through the mileage limit on the warranty. Even if it weren't a TSB matter, if it were a problem in need of repair, and your under warranty, it's covered. Of course, if they say yes there is a problem on SOME cars but not yours, well, then your on your own. Finally, I note that the fact that Mazda acknowledges there is a problem suggests that if you were to go to court and show you have the problem, you'd at least have a colorable claim for payment of the repair even if you were out of warranty.
  • Options
    TSB out of warranty is your responsibility. It is only a service aid and does not admit fault. If it weren't so, manufacturers would not release them and leave their customers hung out to dry.
    However, in warranty, the cost is solely Mazda's.

• Options
    maltb, your explanation makes perfect sense. I'm remembering a TSB on our previous vehicle ('97 Sable) which of course, I had to pay for as it was long out of warranty. I recall being upset at the time, because I still considered it a "defect", but evidently it wasn't bad enough to justify a recall.
  • Options
    Hi,

We are approaching 1000 posts in this forum and most of them are about something else but MPV problem-related. I guess this will help new owners and people who consider buying MPV if we recollect our experiences with our MPVs briefly.

I suggest everyone post what year/trim you have, when bought, how much miles/kms you've put on it and what kind of problems (if any) you've experienced so far.

I guess I start first:

Model:
    Silver 2000 MPV LX
    + Sports package (16" wheels, 6 CD changer, leather steering wheel)
    + fogs

Bought: August 2000
    Mileage: ~19,000 km
    Problems:

1. After buying the van I have noticed that the engine coolant level was dropping. No leaks were on the ground though. Refilled on the first oil change and in a couple of months the coolant was at low again. On next oil change I asked to inspect the cooling system and it appeared that it had an airpocket somewhere. After the air was removed, the coolant stays it a steady level. So not a real problem actually.

2. In the winter I noticed dash and door pillar rattle that was intermittent. Apparently when the plastic cools it deforms somehow and begin to rattle. But it wasn't persistent or for a long time. Now it is gone.

3. Rear drum brakes squeak when braking slowly. I went to a parking lot some day and practiced "stopping when reversing at high speed". Helped a little bit but still appears from time to time. I'm going to repeat the procedure soon. If this won't help, I'll ask the mechanic to inspect the brakes when I bring the van to 24,000 km inspection (the brakes must be inspected at that time anyway)...

I guess that's it for problems.
  • Options
    Alrighty, I added fuel economy, incase that were an issue with some:

Model:
    Emerald Mica 2000 LX
    + LX2 (Touring Package)
    + 6-disk changer
    + Four-Seasons
    + Rear A/C
    + Clutter Catcher :)

Bought:
    August 1999 (Mfg 5/99)
    So, this makes it an "early 2000" model
    Mileage: 15,300miles
    Fuel Economy: 18.5 Summer/16 Winter

Problems:

1. The most persistant item we've noticed is that the nut holding the spare tire tight works itself loose. Some "red" Loktite has solved this.

2. License plate frame rattled. Fixed with some double-sided tape.

3. Just noticed "da lean" and will address this with the dealer when we do our LOF in May.

4. Rear brakes also squeek sometimes, but this is from what's called "glazing" and like alex said, reverse braking stunts cure it. It is reoccurring tho.

Other than those small niggling things, we love ours and look forward to many years with it...and possibly another MPV in our stables.

--javadoc
  • Options
    I was told that most of the time drum brakes squeak not because they are glazed but because metallic dust (rust?) from drums/pads accumulate at the rear edge of the pads. We tend to go forward most of the time, right? And we brake 99.9% of the time while going forward, so the brake dust settles on the end of the pads and forms a "wedge" which starts squeaking when you apply the brake slighly (I guess when you push it harder, the wedge deforms and has no chance of uttering any noise). Going backwards and hitting brakes hard should "polish" the wedge off and reduce or remove the noise.

I believe glazed brake noise cannot be cured by reversing and braking. The pads must be filed to roughen their surface or just replaced in severe cases... Just my 2 cents...
  • Options
    osakaosaka Member Posts: 13
    I can sympathize with what you are saying.
    To improve this ,I will exchange to the Halogen type valve (lamp) for fog lights.
    In the future, if the mazda sell the Xenon-H.I.D. headlights system for MPV, I will exchange it.
  • Options
    blacklxblacklx Member Posts: 60
    Model:
    2000 Black LX
    +Roof rack
    +6 CD changer
    +Touring package
    +Rear Air
    +Moon Roof
    +GFX

Purchased February 28, 2001 (haven't been keeping great track of the MPG)
    Miles: almost 900

Problems:

1. Cd's didn't load - took it in and they replaced the until works great now. Gotta love those Veggie Tales

2. No tether anchors for the child car seats - they installed them but charged $8 a piece for parts (I think it's standard in the 2001's)

3. Car seats were hard to install in the second row - looked at previous postings and figured out easier ways to do it. Now it's a snap.

4. "Thump" when braking - learned how to drive the van, if I can only convince my husband how to drive it it will be perfect.

5. My 2 yo doesn't like having the moonroof open - either just make her get used to it or leave it closed more often.

6. Also my 2 yo finds the keys and sets the alarm off (neighbors just love me.) - Put the keys up higher

As you can tell not a lot of huge problems with the van we love it.
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Model:
    2001 MPV LX Sand Mica
    + Security pkg. (side airbags, 15" alloy wheels w/locks, alarm, immobilizer, carpeted floor mats)
    + 4 seasons
    + Rear A/C
    + Roof rack
    + Step plate(rear bumper)

We purchased our MPV on 4/2/01(Mfg 11/00) and have about 600 miles.

Not a single problem yet.
    My wife says she needs an PHD(engineering) to operate the wipers. Only complaint.

Approx 20 MPG, so far(mostly stop and go).

We love our MPV.
  • Options
    We have a 2001 Silver LX bought new just one month ago. Minimally equipped with roof rack and floor mats. It now has about 2k miles on it and no real problems.

Noticed a "clicking" sound a week or so ago and discovered a 3/8" head of a nut or screw or something embedded smack dab in the middle of the tread of the left rear tire. Not knowing how long it might be and/or how deep it might be in, I didn't want to just remove it on the road, so called my dealer and drove it in. They removed it, plugged the tire and sent me on my way, no charge. I could have brought it to a local garage, but I figured I'd let the Mazda folks have at it.

Very pleased so far with the gas mileage; a low of 21.3 and a high of 23.7, without even being careful. I'll take it!

Oooh, oooh. Who's going to be message #1000?!
  • Options
    billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    2001 Sand Mica LX
    Security
    Rear Air
    Roof rack

Purchased: 2/10/01
    Mileage: 1700
    MPG: about 17 in all suburban driving (25 miles per day, round trip)

Problems:
    1] a thoroughly revolting (and thoroughly embarrassing) "rotten-egg" odor noticeable only when car is standing still. Seems to be fading, blessedly.

2] RF seatbelt twisted in guide.

3] a brake pedal that seems lower than what I'm used to.

4] a glare on sunny days from the top of the dash.

Geez, with so much wrong, why did I ever buy this piece of trash?

And while I'm here, let me wax maudlin for a minute. I've asked a number of questions and expressed some "newbie" concerns on this and the other MPV forums. I've been amazed and really gratified at the responses I've gotten back. It seems that everybody who hangs out here wants nothing more than to help others who have any kind of need. And the advice is usually right on target. So, in case I haven't said it before, I'll say it now.
    Thanks. You're really very nice people to know.

Thus endeth the maudlin maundering of the day.

RJ
  • Options
    Garsh, all that nice maundering, and he grabs the coveted 1000th post to boot!

While we're on the subject, it's been a while since we've discussed this, but am I the only one that's having the RF seatbelt racheting back, and if I'm not, am I alone in thinking it is absurd to have a racheting belt in that front row position. And... (deep breath) does anyone know if Mazda has a non-racheting mechanism that I can (even if it ain't free) replace that belt with? Guess that would be my only other annoyance with the MPV van, except that I don't seem to be able to run 11 second 1/4s, but hey, you can't have it all.

okay, back to loving our MPVs.

--Javadoc
This discussion has been closed.