Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Great detective work, tracking down all those old hp ratings. I agree--what's the issue? The issue I suspect has more to do with expectations than reality. Five years ago, vans didn't offer the kind of power that some do now, so the reviewers (would-be Cobra drivers, the lot of them, I suspect) "made nice" in the face of their universal popularity. Now, perhaps to compete with the SUV surge, car makers are trying to turn their vans in SMAV's (Soccer Mom Assault Vehicles), and the reviewers now demand that every van be LeMans competent (I theorize that they're getting to the age when minivans are beginning to become an inevitability in their lives and they're afraid. Very, very afraid).

:)

RJ
  • Options
    vtac1vtac1 Member Posts: 18
    I have given my van 5,000 to see if front end clicking would stop. have no problem with leaning or pulling or shaking,so I really did not want to change inner tie-rods if possible,but I guess I will. Does anyone know if the tie-rod problem is a safety issue or just an annoyance? I am fixing to leave on a 4,000 mile trip and don't really have the time to change them if it is not safety related. Thanks,I'll give a good report when I get back at the end of May. Should cover every kind of terrain in the country.
  • Options
    gagpgagp Member Posts: 32
    When I pass the 120 km/h mark, a clicking sound seem to come from the lower, driver side (could not tell if it comes from front or rear though...).

At first, I thought it was something loose from underneath but after a good look, everything seem to be in place so...

Anyone experiencing this too ?

Silver ("clikatikatikaclik") Driver
  • Options
    vtac1vtac1 Member Posts: 18
    A lot of 2000 model MPV owners reported a clicking sound,usually at slow speeds,sounded something like a dry strut,back around Sept(?) it appeared to be traced to inner tie rods.There was no callback,but most dealers would change them if you appeared to have the problem,Have not heard much more about it in 2001,so maybe later models solved the problem.But in late 2000 this board had at least 30 postings on problem.
  • Options
    msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    My dealer had a TSB about the clicking on the MPV. You may want to inquire about it. I did not get a copy of it. I will try tomorrow.
  • Options
    superbondosuperbondo Member Posts: 29
    The bulletin related to the inner tie rod clicking is at post # 978. My van has the same clicking noise occasionally but only when braking during warm up (almost always click when first apply brake with van moving after starting), unlike others who have it when engine is hot. So for you guys who have the tie rods replaced, is it clicking only when engine is hot, as described in the bulletin, and if so, did it first appear when engine is cold, and then progressively get worse?
  • Options
    Well, the dealer replaced the springs according to the bulletin for the leaning and the van still leans the same amount on the driver side (1/2"). Go figure. Also my van pulled to the left before the repair. And now the van pulls even more. And the thing is that the mechanic puts down on paper he centered the steering wheel and everything is working perfectly. How irresponsible! I will have to bring it in for the 5th time for this pulling problem. I'll give them one last chance before I consider the lemon law.

This morning I measured the tire pressure for the first time. I was suprised every tire is at around 26 psi, even the decal says it should be at 35. So again why???
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Have you tried a different dealer?
  • Options
    maryholmesmaryholmes Member Posts: 15
    Has anyone else had their idiot lights come on when they start their van, and stay on?
    Mine did it twice yesterday, and once again today. Each time I've turned off the engine and re-started it, and the lights dissapeared like they were suppose to.
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I've only had that happen if a door was ajar.

--javadoc
  • Options
    billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    I've never had anything like that happen, but it's rotten luck to have something worrisome like that happen to a brand new vehicle. Probably nothing serious, but it kinda breaks the honeymoon, doesn't it? If it happens again, I'd get the dealer to check it out.

RJ
  • Options
    Sorry guys for posting the same message twice, I must have hit the button twice. You are right Meera went to a different dealer and finally got the problems fixed. But the next closest dealer is at least 25 miles away, while the one I am going to is more convinient to my schedule. Srdbent at post #891 gave me the lemon law idea after his tires were messed up when the pulling was not corrected for five different times. They only took him seriously when he started the lemon law process in Georgia.

Last time I was there the assistant manager was very nice and said he would ride with me. So I'll give it one more shot and hope it works this time.
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We try to clean up dupes, but you can always go back and delete your own posts at anytime. Sometimes refreshing the browser causes duplicate posts; no biggie:-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    drrocketdrrocket Member Posts: 67
    I've had the pulling-to-the-left problem since Day One, the correction for which I brought my '00 MPV ES to the dealership numerous times. Rotating the tires reduced but didn't eliminate the symptoms. Twice they sent me with the van to a specialty shop to have the alignment and tires checked. The manager there decided the alignment and tires were OK, that the van's suspension was just very sensitive to road crown. I've read on the Tirerack.com website that, in essence, the Dunlops' tenacious traction tends to "read" the road, responding to road crown; this could potentially compound the effect.

In any event, I had wanted my Dunlops switched out for Michelins when the van was new, but the dealership relied on the conclusion of the "specialty shop," which didn't find anything amiss. So I've learned to live with it, and perhaps the symptom is less noticeable now that the tires have been worn more; the effect was most noticeable on certain highways (which I don't drive as often since I moved), so it may have been a combination of speed, tires / suspension, and road crown. Who knows. When it's time for all my tires to be replaced, I'll switch to Michelins and hope for the best (though I've read really good things about the Yokohama AVS dB).

I'm curious to know which dealership in Georgia told you that yours was the only MPV exhibiting the pulling problem; whenever I complain about anything, my dealership tells me they've never seen that problem before. Which Michelins did they install on your van? [Which speed rating, HR or VR?] What is your subjective opinion of the Michelins compared with the original tires (which I assume were the Dunlops)?

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the interrogation. ;>)
  • Options
    cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    I have an appointment next week for my 3000 mile service. I'll probably mention it to the dealer then, but I figured I'd ask here first. Has anyone noticed road noise or tire noise on turns? It's hard to explain, but it seems whether I turn left or right at any speed, I'm really aware of the change in the sound of the vehicle. When I straighten out, the sound returns to normal; that is, it's quiet. I know it's not, but it almost sounds like the tires are scraping the wheel wells. It's a 2001 LX and it has the Yokohamas.
  • Options
    cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    This is not the first time I've noticed it, but I was reminded of it again the other day when filling up the MPV.
    I have a tendency to lean on the vehicle while pumping in the petrol. Imagine my surprise when I rested my butt against the side of the van and felt it buckle in. I thought it was my imagination, so of course I did it again. No dent remained as it popped right back when I took my weight off it, but I was a bit shocked. Has anyone else noticed that? Is it very thin sheet metal or is it plastic like the Saturn?
  • Options
    vanshopper4vanshopper4 Member Posts: 1
    All I want is an MPV LX with lx touring pkg, roof rack, 4 sesaons pkg & MOONROOF! Not so hard right? Well the dealer tells me the van was ordered 3/7/2001. Then they tell me the Moonroof option requires a special color Sand Mica, I wanted Sapphire Blue. Ok I changed to Sand mica because I want the roof! After supposedly getting two vehicles delivered to the dealership with the wrong options (6 cd changer instead of moonroof) The 3rd re-order had an invoice & vin# on 4-10-01 the dealer told me my van was in a holding lot in NY and would be here "any day now." Well now my "estimated date of delivery 5-7-01" has come & gone & still no van. The dealer even slipped up & told me the lot was in NJ no NY-they cant' even get their stories straight. (I live in CT) I am majorly getting the run-around. Mazda 1-800 Cust Serv is no help either. If it wasn't for that MOONROOF I would have walked away a long time ago. Now they are saying another 3-7 days. I've waited nine weeks already, I was orginally told 2wks then 4-6wks. If I knew this I might have really pursued the Honda Odyssey of my dreams (I was not happy about the prospect of paying MSRP & waiting 4-5months for a Honda). Do I really want to get rid of my trusty 11yr Honda Accord after all of this? Do I want to service my mazda through these people after all of this? UUgghh!!
  • Options
    Is there another dealer in the area? Technically, you can't order an MPV built to your liking. All they can do is find one at the port similar to what you want, so you are at the mercy of the current port inventory which is in fact in NJ.

• Options
    alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I can understand your frustration. When I was buying mine in August last year, it was limited supply at that time (2000 models were clearing up before 2001s). And I wanted the van in specific color with specific options. My dealer located the van in one week and delivered (almost) as promised (with 3 days delay).

Have you tried another dealer? I understand that you have waited for a long time but wasn't that a sign that this particular dealer "doesn't appreciate your business"?
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    we couldn't order an MPV with exactly what we wanted on it. Alex1 is right, let another dealer find you what you want or do a search via the internet. Sap Blue is not a very popular color, at least in the Midwest. We settled for a 01 LX that had most of the features we wanted and some we didn't want.

Maltb, I believe the port is Tacoma, not NJ.
  • Options
    Port Jersey
    Port Tacoma
    Port Hueneme
    Port Kansas
    Port Woodhaven
    Port Midlothian
    Port Kansas
    Port Jasonville
    Port Honolulu

Take your pick....

• Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Can I drive mine back from Port Honolulu please?

I guess I was wrong thinking this, but I thought you could basically order what you wanted on a vehicle with Mazda's "build your own" feature on their website? Ah well.

--j
  • Options
    With all the praises that the MPV gets on this site, you'd think it can drive on water.

BYOM:
    On the web site they let you build a theoretical car but it's up to the regional people specify build types and port options. I think people think they can BYO with any car, but the only Mazda's available that way are the Tribute and the new Protege 5 door. Depending on how those go, we may see more models move to that idea.

• Options
    rusty24rusty24 Member Posts: 4
    Hi this is my first post i have a mazda mpv 2000 and i think it has enough speed and power what i have not herd anyone adress the tracter like final drive gear ratio witch will definetly reduce gas milage and lower top speed in 1st gear due to engine toping out in high revs. it has a4.38 final gear ratio it needs about a 3.85 and higher shift point. so far love the van but would like better gas milage get 22mpg on hiway.
  • Options
    Sounds like a good idea, but then you will really notice that the van only has 160 ponies. Maybe a second overdrive would do the trick!

• Options
    srbdentsrbdent Member Posts: 3
    The dealer is Jim Ells Mazda in Atlanta. The tires are Michelin All Seasons Symmetry 215/60R16. How do I figure out the speed rating and I will.

The change of tires has worked so far. The pull is gone and we are finally happy and hoping it will not come back.
  • Options
    drrocketdrrocket Member Posts: 67
    I've been dealing with Roswell Mazda, but I can't believe all of the Mazda dealerships haven't been made aware of the pulling problem some of the MPVs have exhibited. It may just be a combination of sensitive suspension and quirky tires, since not all of the MPVs have demonstrated the symptom, but enough owners have experienced it for it to be an issue of which all the dealerships should be made aware.

I looked up the Michelin All Season Symmetry tires on the Tirerack.com website. They have an SR speed rating, which is a lower speed rating than the HR-rated Dunlops, but they got very high marks for traction and comfort, and a 65,000 mi. treadlife warranty!! Wow!

Other than the pulling issue, please let us all know your subjective opinion about the relative merits (handling, traction, noise, comfort, ...) of the Michelins vs. the original equipment tires. We will all eventually be in the market for new tires for our MPVs, so there's no time like the present to start the checklist.

Thanks,
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    For more information about tires, check out the Tires, tires, tires topic in the Aftemarket & Accessories message board.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    rallychamprallychamp Member Posts: 14
    Drew,

What happened to the General Mazda MPV topic? I don't see the link anymore. There was daily discussions going on and it had over 1,600 messages in it.

I miss it.
  • Options
    It is still there. There wasn't much posting done to that thread recently, so it moved down the list. You could go to TownHall>Owner's Clubs>Mazda Owner's Clubs>Mazda MPV Owners and there are all the Mazda MPV forums listed. I find it easier to locate the one I need...

I hope this helps.

There's also a mailing list for MPV 2000+ on YahooGroups: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mpv2000

And MPV website (in preliminary stages): http://www.vakcer.com/mpv/

• Options
    Nice work Alex!

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We stuck a link to the general Mazda MPV topic in the Additional Resource box. Guess we need to harangue javadoc in his absence to get some posts going in there again :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    ...has probably been spending too much of his time in the "I don't like SUVs" topic ;-) That or he was scared away but them! Heh heh...

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • Options
    Went to turn my key on today and it wouldn't turn. Checked first to make sure it was in park, (it was,) and then forced it. With some effort it finally turned and has been fine since. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    Yes, I've been through this before :-)

The problem is that when you turn the key into Lock position, the steering wheel is locked and cannot be turned. If you try to do so, you might interlock the ignition lock mechanism. If you have the problem ever again, put your key into the ignition and then jiggle the wheel slightly from left to right AND try to turn the key at the same time. Do not press hard on the key, it should turn fearly easily. Worked for me (and, by the way, this is described in the manual somewhere)...
  • Options
    rudy1000rudy1000 Member Posts: 21
    Hi there,
    I did it,I managed to read all of the posts.I am in the market for a new minivan and am very much interested in the 2001 MPV.
    One prime consideration however is its ability to tow my 1500LB Jayco tent trailer.

Do any current owners have experience towing?

I sure would appreciate any comments!!
  • Options
    Thanks alexv1n!

I guess I haven't gotten that far in the manual yet. I probably did move the wheel after I shut off the car. In my old Oldsmobile you had to turn it a little to lock it. It is hard to break old habits.
  • Options
    glenmcglenmc Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone else had problems with excessive pull right or left, wandering, and hyper sensitive steering especially over bumps? My 2000 MPV LX is really bad, dealer replaced steering rack but no change. Dealer suggested warranty adjustment replacement of factory Yokohama tires, but it hasn't helped either. I think the suspension geometry on the front is poorly designed. Email gmcguire@inetsonic.com is anyone has a history of having this sort of thing repaired. Thanks!
  • Options
    Hi Glen,

I haven't noticed any steering problems with my 2000 LX. I currently have 20,000 km on it... Never heard about the problem from any of previous posters here either.
  • Options
    brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    Immediately after taking delivery of my '00 ES, we
    noticed constant frontend pulling/wandering to the left. When we took back to dealer for 1st oil change, they found front-end needed realignment AND all wheels required rebalancing. Since then, steering has been fine. Never had problems w/steering while driving over bumps.

I suggest you take yours back to dealer and have alignment checked.

good luck!
  • Options
    glenmcglenmc Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the replies! Update - van has 33000km on it. Has been sent for alignment twice, and has new steering rack. Tried the upgraded Yokohama Avid Touring (supposed to be quite good), same problem - tire shop just replaced with Goodyear Regatta 2 tires today, same problem. Not a happy camper - 3 different people at the tire shop said the handling of this van is dangerous. I'll keep in touch - it's going back to the dealer again next week. Oh, and in an unrelated matter, the day we got the van it puked a seal in the motor area, resulting in oil spray all over the engine. Yay.
  • Options
    dbs2001dbs2001 Member Posts: 46
    I think they fixed the steering problem in the '01. Last weekend we drove about 400 miles. I deliberately took my hands off the wheel to see how my ES tracked & it held steady for several hundred yards on the freeway (no other vehicles around!).

Dennis
  • Options
    I have 2000 LX with 20,000 km on it and no problem with steering so far...

Glen, I guess you have a bad one... Maybe you should try going to another dealer if this one doesn't fix the van this time..

Please keep us informed...
  • Options
    vickiwvickiw Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone else have this problem? We got the MPV without the rack and then added it. We loved it for 2 weeks without the rack. Now it sounds like a wind tunnel. ANyone else with this problem?????thanks.
  • Options
    otishotish Member Posts: 59
    We got our MPV ES with the roof rack already on it but I have never noticed a noise from it. Maybe someone else can help you - maybe the roof rack cross bars are on backwards or something like that that would cause noise.
  • Options
    firecapt26firecapt26 Member Posts: 8
    Have an 01' LX. Cannot hear wind noise even with moonroof open...

Mark
  • Options
    jlhungjlhung Member Posts: 1
    I have owned 2000MPV LX for about an year. Has anyone had the popping noise problem while driving in stop and go situation? I noticed the noise a few days ago when I stuck in the traffic. It seems coming from the front end. The car is smooth and quiet when cruising at highway. However, the noise starts showing up when the traffic is slow. I can hear the noise either I step on the brake to stop the car or pump the accelerator to move the car. It is constant as long as I stuck in traffic. It disappears after I get out of the traffic. Any suggestion will be appreciated.
  • Options
    jcroftsjcrofts Member Posts: 7
    The light came on two days ago on the wife's 2k MPV. Sure enough, the gas cap was loose. Tightened it up, but the light is still on two days later. I seem to remember posts (way back) that said the light will go off by itself. Is that true? Is there a way to read the code and/or reset it?
  • Options
    rallychamprallychamp Member Posts: 14
    I've had similar check engine issues with my BMW. A loose gas cap could cause the light to come on. The engine needs to cycle a few times before it turns itself off. Depending on how much you drive or rather how often you turn on and off yourcar, the engine light should turn off by itself. Give it a week.
  • Options
    jcroftsjcrofts Member Posts: 7
    Thanks rallychamp. How about the fault codes. Does anyone know if they can be retrieved without special equipment? I know the procedure for some vehicles is to turn the key on/off x times to trigger the computer and then count the number of times the check light blinks. Does the MPV work this way?
This discussion has been closed.