Options

Older Honda Accords

Comments

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,161
    The blind spot Greg mentioned was looking toward the front. Mirrors don't have anyting to do with it.

When looking forward at a street, the large post partially blocks the view to the left for oncoming traffic.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    richylrichyl Member Posts: 20
    Hmm, when I learned how to drive, instructor told me that no matter how you adjust your mirrors, blind spots are always present, so I am used to turn my head and look over the shoulder when I switch to another lane. Since I see my friends do that too, I thought everyone else does the same thing. I guess that large post thing won't affect me then. Am I correct?
  • Options
    beachcomberbeachcomber Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the response. When I took the car in, they said that it was a big job and would take all day as they had to drop the transmission. Is it possible they didn't put it back together properly? It's not the tires as different road surfaces (asphalt, concrete, wet, dry) don't affect noise.

Thanks again
  • Options
    84tigers84tigers Member Posts: 7
    Does having a moonroof affect the Accord's noise level (when not in use)? I am leaning towards buying the EX over the LX but don't want to sacrifice a quiet ride. Also, is there ever a problem with leaking? Thanks.
  • Options
    ktnrktnr Member Posts: 255
    Drop the transmission? A big job that would take all day? Unless you got a new transmission, your Service Writer was being dishonest - Honda Service Bulletin 04-037 describes removing the air filter box and intake air duct to gain access to the top of the AT case.

Flate-Rate Time to install the oil jet kit is 0.7 hours. Photographing the gears and then installing the oil jet kit takes 1.1 hours. Installing a remanufactured transmission is flat-rated at 7.8 hours.

I'd go back about the noise and confront the Service Manager about the story the Service Writer gave you the first time.
  • Options
    If quiet ride is priority, then have you test driven an LX-V6? The V6 is a night and day difference over the 4-cylinder.
  • Options
    xcelxcel Member Posts: 1,025
    Hi Ktnr:

___I am not faulting anyone for purchasing a V6 based LX but the EX would probably be the smarter choice based on resale possibility alone let alone the much higher level of amenities.

___According to Edmunds, TCO’s are as follows and they are high on the EX V6 imho:

05 Accord LX V6 w/ Auto: $0.43/mile

05 Accord EX V6 w/ Auto: $0.46/mile

___For $0.03/mile, you receive a leather interior/seats, multi-level heated seats, dual zone auto climate, XM satellite radio, external temperature display, alloys, hood w/ struts, interior trunk lid w/ a covering, power glass sunroof, drivers seat w/ manual lumbar adjustment, 4-way power passenger seat, height adjustable passenger seat, Homelink Universal remote for garage/security, leather wrapped steering wheel, illuminated power window switches, and ambient console lighting.

___At trade-in or for sale time, the EX will be a far easier sell then would the LX w/ a V6.

___In terms of noise, during acceleration the I4 has a far higher dB output but out on the highway, the I4 is ~ equivalent at 55 - 60 mph in my experience.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    gregoryc1gregoryc1 Member Posts: 764
    Question: ---- Do 18 wheeler operators rely on mirrors when they make maneuvers on the road and / or when backing into loading docks, or do they cut a hole in the box so they can view the rear of the truck through the box? The 2003 Accord body style has a problem that did not exist on the 2000 Accord, and it is very annoying, and it makes driving the vehicle less than enjoyable. The outside mirrors are not placed properly on the body. I have never had to turn my head on any other vehicles that I have driven. To do so, means that you are taking your eyes off the road. I think people who are about to purchase this body style should know about this problem.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I still haven't had any more trouble driving the Accord than our other 3 cars. Methinks it ain't that big a deal.
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Anyone who believes they can operate a car safely purely through use of the rear-view mirrors was probably taught to drive by their father.

If you are changing lanes, you should turn and look to see if the lane is clear.

I have a 2005 Accord and don't find the mirrors better or worse than anythng else, unless you want to try the WINK-style mirrors on race cars.
  • Options
    richards38richards38 Member Posts: 606
    I rarely open the moonroof in my '04 EX-L--too noisy at highway speeds. When the moonroof is closed, the car is very quiet. The 4 cyl. engine is silent at highway speeds and there's no wind noise at all.

The only advantage when closed is that during the day, it's brighter inside the car. My interior is black leather, so the extra light helps.

The real issue with the moonroof is that it reduces headroom by 2.1 inches. The Accord is tall enough so it doesn't matter for me (5'11"), but if you're over 6' tall and like to sit high in the driver's seat, the moonroof might annoy you.......Richard
  • Options
    CanyoncrestCanyoncrest Member Posts: 18
    See this link, photos below the text.

http://bbs.chetx.com/post/36_573287_573287.htm

It should be the same Accord that is being sold in the US.
  • Options
    That car was torn in half! No other vehicle was shown nor do we know how fast the Accord was going.

I've seen horrible accident photos of Mercedes cars ripped apart similarly--they've always been among the safest.

Under some conditions, no car (and no person) is safe.......Richard
  • Options
    it was a car used in wedding. To avoid hitting a dog, the driver lost control and jumped over the central divider, and the Accord was torn in half by the divider. So, the force should be from the bottom of the car.
  • Options
    Hi Canyoncrest:

___Did you have a friend or family at the scene or personally involved taking pics?

___What a mess is about all I can add and god speed to those that lost their lives …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    Car:04 Accord EX Sedan 2.4L 5 speed manual

Question: Have any owners experienced a "crunch" when shifting VERY quickly from 1st to 2nd at or near redline? I've driven a stick shift for 40 years, I believe I have a solid base for doing it right.

When I say quickly I'm talking about the time you pulled out (in 1st) and saw another car coming towards you at a high rate of speed and realized you needed a floored accelerator and a super quick shift to 2nd to get out of the way and blend into the traffic. I've never had a five speed do this before and I'm wondering if others have experienced it.
  • Options
    Yet another good post, Wayne. I've got to admit that the LX-V6 model is a tiny percentage of Accord sales so I'm in a very small minority in choosing this model. In my own case, the extra $2,800 for an EX-V6 simply exceeded what I was comfortable in spending.

Minor points - the LX-V6 does have a lined trunk lid and gas struts for the hood but you forgot to list that the EX-V6 includes alloy wheels. The exterior temperature sensor is an $84 add-on accessory on non-leather Accords. What I do miss a lot is the integrated XM radio and leather-wrapped steering wheel on the EX-V6.

I have to confess my ignorance - can anyone explain what "ambient console lighting" is? I've seen it in the Honda brochure but didn't know what it is. Wayne? Anybody?
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    ktnr:

I believe that you will find that the "ambient console lighting" is handled by a very small lamp in the overhead console (at least in my 2004 EX V6 Coupe). It is aimed down, and gives a soft amber illumination to the lower console in the area of the shifter, cupholders, coinholder and power jack. It is only visible in the dark and may be unnoticable unless you wave your hand slowly near the overhead console.
  • Options
    Thanks, Barry. I'll have to check that feature out and see what parts are involved.
  • Options
    Hi Ktnr:

___I did mention the EX comes w/ alloys but I did not know the LX V6 had the gas struts for the hood or the interior trunk lid lining. You cannot add the gas struts to the I4’s without a tabbed bracket welded in unfortunately so a prop rod will be forever the std. :-( The interior trunk liner is an ~ $60.00 fix according to another Accord site I hang out at and the HW snaps right in ;-)

___You can add the Homelink console as well if you would like. I don&#146;t remember the cost for the LX&#146;s but it couldn&#146;t be that much more expensive? If it was expensive, you can install and wire up the Homelink based Rear View mirrors w/ a compass and external temp for < $250.00 as another option.

___I believe Blane nailed the ambient lighting question …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    Oops. I missed the alloys on your list when I read it the first time - sorry. And thanks for the explanation, Barry.

Curious about the projection of better resale value for the EX-V6 vs. the LX-V6, I looked up Kelley Blue Book values for 2003 models.

The difference between Trade-In and Retail values was only about $1,875 while Private Party sale projects a $2,200 difference.

Here in 2005, the new purchase price difference between the LX-V6 and EX-V6 is around $2,800. I realize this is only a rough projection but the above figures put the LX-V6 $600-900 ahead on depreciation. The 2005 LX-V6 model adds side-curtain airbags missing on the 2003 LX-V6 so that may widen the gap a little further.

Of course, the EX-V6 will always be worth more than the LX-V6 but will it always be worth the $2,800 more that it cost at the start? One intangible too is that a used EX-V6 could be easier or faster to sell with it's extra equipment - hard to say, everything here is speculation.

I'm certainly not saying that the EX-V6 is a bad buy. If you want leather, a sunroof, alloy wheels, XM radio, navigation or the other things, the EX-V6 is an awesome package (and without the torque-steer that bedevils Acura TL owners).

Still, I'm puzzled as to why the LX-V6 isn't more popular. Perhaps I've overlooked something?
  • Options
    sockpuppet1969sockpuppet1969 Member Posts: 308
    How funny. I just posted a very similar question on the problems and solutions board (post #9324). This same thing happens to me on cold days - just the first few shifts until the car warms up. After that it is fine. Happens at slow speeds and when accelerating quickly - more likely to happen when shifting quickly though. Synchro problem?
  • Options
    Xcel,

Thanks for your concern. These pics are all over the car forums in Chinese. I just posted the link here. The report says that 1 killed and 4 seriously injured.

Honda has a factory in Canton and sells them there. Accord is very expensive there , about 30k usd for the basic trim. Some people in Chinese media questioned whether the passengers involved in the accident wore seat belts. They probably didn't, since very few people do.
  • Options
    Hi Ktnr:

___There is a Honda salesman that goes by the nick Isellhondas (imagine that ;-)) here at Edmunds that has stated in the past that he can&#146;t give away new LX V6&#146;s for whatever reason? I think it&#146;s a viable alternative to the more expensive EX myself but boy does the EX come nicely equipped. I sure wish your V6&#146;s TCS came on the I4 EX&#146;s …

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    Hi Canyoncrest:

___Thank you for the reply and the update. I have been posting the pics you linked to other Accord forums and it has stirred some controversy. Oh how I wish the Chinese government could keep up with the driving public (better and safer roads, driver training, traffic enforcement etc. …) to keep such tragedies from happening. Little can I say anything given the death rate on America&#146;s highways and Byways as well?

___Whatever your traditions or beliefs, please say a prayer for the member that died and for those that survived.

___Good Luck

___Wayne R. Gerdes
  • Options
    " I sure wish your V6&#146;s TCS came on the I4 EX&#146;s"

TCS would be nice, but the 4 cyl. doesn't generate as much torque as the V6 so there's less need for TCS.

Also, I think selecting D2 on the transmission starts and holds the car in second gear. Second gear starts are fairly easy to control on slippery surfaces--at least that's what I remember about winter driving before leaving Cleveland for San Francisco in 1972.......Richard
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    Passing vehicles on the interstate, a high-HP engine effortlessly allows you to do so, with torque being mostly irrelevant.

not if you don't want to downshift a gear or two. torque is indeed revelant. for all out acceleration the more high end torque you have the better off you are.

Toyota, while having racing involvement, seems to have adhered closer to the "customer is king" adage. The torque of its 4 and 6 cylinder motors is higher than the Honda's. Additionally, Toyota engines' peak torque is attained at lower RPM - meaning, it takes less gas pedal pressure and noise to accelerate

again, not so. For example: car A with 200 lb-ft @ 5500 rpm (its peak torque) that retains 180 lb-ft @ 1800 will have better low end power than car B with 205 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm (it's peak torque) that retains 155 lb-ft @ 1800 rpm.

peak torque at high rpm doesn't necessary mean it lacks abundant low end torque. torque through out the engine's power band is what you want.

the accord's 2.4 i4 torque curve is marvelous. it certainly doesn't lack torque compared to toyota's 2.4 i4.

the current accord's 3.0 v6 peak torque is not much higher than the previous generation 3.0 v6 (11 lb-ft) but its torque curve is much flatter now. it now has abundant power at all engines speeds. i know the 5 speed helps here but the difference in low end power is impressive. more impressive than the additional 40 hp it now has.

now if honda can get its act together with the civic. 1.7 engines just don't cut it any more. they do indeed lack torque compared to the competition.
  • Options
    fgf001fgf001 Member Posts: 98
    I changed over to synthetic transaxle lube after the first time it happened. It shifts fine in the cold and I shift slowly when cold anyway. The synthetic did nothing for the crunch but it shifts the same cold or warm, smooth as silk.....unless you're getting after it from 1st to 2nd.
  • Options
    If this is a Hydraulic Clutch, you might want to check the fluid level! It sounds like the clutch is not completely disengaging properly.
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Anyone who believes they can operate a car safely purely through use of the rear-view mirrors was probably taught to drive by their father.

If you are changing lanes, you should turn and look to see if the lane is clear.

I have a 2005 Accord and don't find the mirrors better or worse than anythng else, unless you want to try the WINK-style mirrors on race cars.
  • Options
    bobdeebobdee Member Posts: 9
    A couple of months back, when changing lanes using only the mirrors which I've set to eliminate blind spots, a CHP officer pulled me over with a warning to always look back before moving over.
  • Options
    stacey_burkestacey_burke Member Posts: 88
    I have taught Drivers Ed for quite a while. We have always taught to check over the shoulder before lane changes and not use just the mirror, however, mirror adjustment is also important. Many people just look out the side and put the mirror so that they can see the side of the car in the outside mirror. If you do this you are missing alot of the area that is usable with the outside mirrors.

We teach to move the head against the drivers side window and then adjust the mirror so that you can see just barely the side of the car. When you adjust the passenger side mirror move your head to the middle of the car to make the adustment to just barely see the side of the car on the Passengers side.

The area you lose directly behind the car is taken over by the inside rear view mirror. To check it out have someone walk from one side of the car to the other side and watch in the side then rear and other side view mirror. You will be supprised by the greater field of view you have.

Maybe the placment of the mirrors was done with this in mind.
  • Options
    Xcel,

According to the stats released by the Chinese govt, 107,000 people killed in traffic accidents in 2004. I remember that that figure in the US is around 45,000). Comparing with the ratio between numuber of vehicles and people, the Chinese one is really too high.

In terms of seatbelt, people just began to realize its importance. Most people think it is useless to wear it, and the babies are not restrained at all, since they believe they can hold the babies tight in case of the accidents, sigh...
  • Options
    frankbailiefrankbailie Member Posts: 26
    I am wondering if the Honda Accord is equipped with high intensity headlights. If not has anyone installed them and what difference did it make in visibility for night driving. I am asking as my eyes aren't what they used to be and I limit my night driving accordingly.
  • Options
    Rather than altering the existing headlights, install a set of auxiliary driving lights down low on the front of the vehicle. (Just remember that they are there when you pull into parking spaces with barriers at the mall). Have them controlled by a separate switch, so that you can turn them "on" when you need them on a dark road, and you can turn them "off" so as not to blind on-coming drivers. The cost for a set should be about $200.00, (plus installation). The advantages of handling the problem is this fashion, is that you have not altered your original equipment lights, and you have these lights on their own electrical circuit. You have the best of both worlds. When purchasing these lights, I would also purchase at least two replacement bulbs.
  • Options
    According to a J.D. Powers newsletter from October 2003:

Most Popular Exterior Car Colors Based on Nationwide Consumer Preferences

Men         Women

1. Silver    1. Silver

2. Black    2. Black

3. White    3. Blue

4. Red      4. White

5. Blue      5. Red

6. Gray      6. Gray

7. Green   7. Green

8. Beige   8. Beige

9. Gold     9. Gold
  • Options
    Interesting stats on car colors. First silver car for me is the 2004 Accord EX-L that I chose mainly for it's black interior--black is available only in silver on Accord.

It's so common that I've seen as many as 7 silver cars parked in a row on San Francisco city streets. But silver doesn't show dirt and looks good after a few weeks without washing--a major advantage.

I thought people chose silver because they couldn't make up their minds. Silver is neither very light nor dark, and is really a metallic gray--not much of a color at all. But it's popular because Silver is viewed as a hi-tech color and that's its primary appeal, so I've heard......Richard
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,161
    Thanks for reminding folks to use the low lights for additional lighting on dark roads -- not when low beams are on with oncoming cars.

I routinely flash oncoming cars with low driving lights that stay on when low beams are on. I have my left front lights aimed left and up (which works nice for suburban roads I travel) and when my high beams are on it hits oncoming drivers in their face just like they hit me with their "driving lights."

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    andysandiegoandysandiego Member Posts: 54
    I'd find it interesting to hear everyone's views on a comparison between an Accord EX V6 Leather and an Acura TSX, recognizing the 240 vs 200 H.P. difference. I believe the price is about the same, and I am torn between the two.

Andy
  • Options
    Stacy, ----if mirrors cannot be trusted, how do 18 wheeler drivers change lanes on the highway? Yes, there is a proper way to set the outside and inside mirrors, but some vehicles due to their body design have a built in blind spot that is more pronounced than the average vehicle. The 2003 Accord is one of those vehicles. Yes, I have learned to live with the problem by adjusting the mirriors and using a small round additional "stick on mirror" on the outside driver's mirror, but it is still not a comfortable situation. The 2000 Accord did not have this issue, so I guess the "new body design" is not all that great! At this point in time, I am seriously thinking about trading this vehicle because of this issue, and the "A" pillar front blind spot. The only thing that is stopping me at this point is that we have a 7 year 100,000 mile warranty on this vehicle, and we don't see anything on the market that we really like as a replacement. The only possibility might be a Honda Element in 2006, but we would have to drive it to be VERY sure that we like the total experience. So, I guess this entire issue is a personal evaluation of this new body style. Some people think it is "GREAT", while others think that it leaves some unresolved issues.
  • Options
    stacey_burkestacey_burke Member Posts: 88
    If you want to put on the same type of mirrors as a simi has you will have excellent visibility from those mirrors. However, if the accords mirrors are set correctly and you do look (as you always should) to the blind spot before making a lane change there is no problem.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You aren't alone in wanting to compare those two vehicles. Check out the discussion at this link: Honda Accord vs Acura TSX. It hasn't had any activity in a couple of months so it had archived itself, but I just reopened it.

There's lots of conversation there for you to read through, and it's the best place to continue the debate.

Have fun and good luck! :)
  • Options
    tcvb22tcvb22 Member Posts: 50
    I have a 2005 EX V6 that I purchased a few weeks ago and noticed a few problems (posted in the problems forum)

I'm concerned mostly with this one.

When I take my foot off the accelator it sometimes feels like the car slows down too quickly then when the tachometer reads around 1(000) it gets a boost in acceleration (I can see the tac go up just a little bit then back down). I have been monitoring this in different situations eg. once the car has been warmed up, exit off a freeway, on a flat stretch of road etc...

I'm wondering if the car has to be broken in or if this is a problem (I have 350 miles on it) break-in period is 600 miles.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Thanks
  • Options
    Here is a "generic" explanation! Some "Computer Command Control Systems" on vehicles will "shut down" the fuel injectors, when you take you foot off the accelerator and coast in gear. This action will continue until you place your foot back on the accelerator, or the engine reaches a specific RPM. Some vehicles turn the injectors on at 1,500 rpm. Basically, this process controls emissions and helps with fuel mileage. This could be what you are seeing on that tac.
  • Options
    chucko3chucko3 Member Posts: 793
    <<<When I take my foot off the accelator it sometimes feels like the car slows down too quickly >>>

It does, doesn't it? Especially when you are accelerating and suddenly take your foot off the accelator. One time when I did that, my wife thought I stepped on the brakes for no reason.

I think it's normal. Just enjoy the new car.
  • Options
    slawendaslawenda Member Posts: 101
    Hello everyone--

Forgive me if this is a silly question or even a silly complaint. I have an '04 EX-V6 with navi and don't particularly like the fact that the speedometer, clock (and other text in that area), and navi text is white, with the dash buttons lighting up green. Correct me if I am wrong, but don't most cars have the same backlit color for their dash buttons as their speedometers, etc.? For example green with green, orange/orange, red/red, white/white, etc. For example, I believe most Lexus cars are backlit in white? Am I right about this? Am I way too picky? No one, as far as I know, has commented or complained about this before. And more importantly, was my car made correctly as far as this concerned--is mine the same as yours (especially those of you with navi?)

As a contrast, I believe the Accord coupe has a red speedometer with red backlit buttons, and thus matches, but it seems as if the sedan is an enigma. It seems to me the dash should be lit all one color, and thus match, giving a uniform, classy presentation!? Your thoughts appreciated.
  • Options
    biomanbioman Member Posts: 172
    If this is occurring when you are going up or down an incline, what you are experiencing is probably the grade logic. Grade logic prevents the transmission from searching for the right gear under certain conditions. This is perfectly normal.
  • Options
    mikec99mikec99 Member Posts: 5
    Does anybody else think the paint sucks on their 2004 Accord? My car was delivered in the rain so I did not notice the condition when I accepted it. But later after I had a chance to wash it, I noticed that the paint looked horrible. The dealer said it had been on the lot 3 months, but from the condition of the paint it looked like it had been on the lot for 3 years. Absolutely no shine and I could see where someone had brushed across the hood with a dirty rag - the dirty brush marks were baked into the paint. After using clay bar and polishing and waxing it, it looked OK. Another complaint I have is the number of paint chips. Either there is no primer on this car or the primer doesn't stick to the metal. I think I had more paint chips within the first 3 months than I had within the first 3 years on my '94 Civic. I also see where they did not completely paint the areas that are somewhat hidden from view. In addition, I found overspray on one of the windows and numerous places on the rubber trim. Except for the lack of visibilty when backing up, this is probably the only thing I don't like on my new Honda. Otherwise, it fulfills the criteria I had for a new car - more power, quieter cabin and better air conditioning.

Mike
  • Options
    mikec99mikec99 Member Posts: 5
    quote:

"Feels like my 2005 Accord EX-L Sedan is floating all over the road, but when I take my hands off the wheel, the car does maintain a straight line."

I think I know what you mean. I have a 2004 LX and when I first got it, it was actually a chore to drive down the highway. I felt like I had to constantly concentrate on driving whereas my '94 Civic felt like it was driving itself. Eventually, for the mostpart, it has quit doing this. Whether from breakin of the car or me getting used to the feel of the car, I don't know.
  • Options
    tcvb22tcvb22 Member Posts: 50
    This happens while driving on flat straight away. I take my foot off the accelerator when I see the stop light changing hoping to coast up to the light but it slows down too quickly and I have to step on the accelerator again.

Can this be adjusted or is this the way it should be. I don't like it but will probably have to get used to. Never had this problem in my '91 accord. I