Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    Check with the folks hanging out in Real-World Trade-In Values, a discussion over on our Smart Shopper board. They are into helping folks figure out realistic prices for used vehicles whether they are actual "trade-ins" or not.

Good luck!
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    dzuba.. Most sources (e.g., Roundel (BMW CCA) and Bimmer) have discussed fact you'll pay more for CPO. CPO isn't free. And many used BMWs are not CPO. Sometimes BMW dealers will even offer the same car priced used vs CPO. (Which is against the CPO rules.) Figure on average that you'll spend around $1,000 (plus or minus $500) for CPO. But all things are negotiable.

Seems like a lot of options. With all that the dealers usually have Premium Pkg. Can't imagine that it didn't come with Sport-Premium Pkg. There is such a combination package. Are you sure it didn't? Ask the dealer if they have electronic or hardcopy access to the original window sticker.
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    I wrote in a few months ago that the clutch went out on my new 2002 530i after just 14K miles. BMW insisted that the clutch failure was due to user abuse and refused to pay for it under warranty.

I wrote a friendly but stern letter to Tom Purves, Vice President and CEO of BMWNA expressing my displeasure with their refusal to treat the clutch failure as a warrenty item. I gave them until May 5 to contact me and satisfactorily resolve this matter otherwise I was going to elevate it to a legal forum.

Today I got a call from a BMWNA representative requesting more time. I gave them one additional week. In the mean time, I had an independant mechanic look over the old clutch parts which I had kept. The mechanic concluded and was willing to put in writing that the clutch failure was definitely not the result of user abuse, but was indeed the result of a defect.

This reflects very badly on BMW. Customer satisfaction should be a high priority to any car company. This episode has tarnished my thinking towards the company and will definitely influence my future purchase (lease) of a replacement car when my current lease is up.

It is too bad because outside of this issue, I have had an excellent experience with the car. I love to drive it and I feel that it provides the best driving experience of any car in that price range. I really hope that this matter will be resolved to my satisfaction.
  • wabendswabends Posts: 102
    I have to make a choice soon between two offers on a 2003 530i and I need suggestions from 5'er afficianados.

Deal A: PP, AT, CWP and Ze for $44,300.

Deal B: PP, AT, CWP, Ze with heated steering wheel for $44,500 (and will accept trade in).

Both cars are Toledo blue metallic. This is a buy (not lease) and intend to keep the car for about 7 years.

Also considering getting trunk mounted CD Changer, but dealer is asking for $1K but I found one at Eurobuyer.com for $425 (claims it is genuine BMW part). Has anyone out there bought from this source? If so, please share your experience.

Any suggestions would be helpful and thanks in advance
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    Actually tonight - 6:00 I will be picking up my 02 530 - Black/Black with 10K miles on it! Step-Sport-CWP -Leather - Xenon - "almost PP", new Tires in the rear, 6-CD changer, and CPO which is huge for me as this car will be driven.

I would pick it up this morning but I have three appointments - sometimes sales is rough!! I figure it has been a 2 year wait - whats another 12 hours.

Stay tuned!!! Did I sleep last night - not much!
  • snagielsnagiel Posts: 750
    Well done. Perseverence--and the whiff of a lawsuit--usually pays off when dealing with a large corporation's intransigence.
    Congratulations. Enjoy!
    wabends... Not sure what you mean when you say one dealer: "and will accept trade in". The other won't won't? Usually a dealer will at least make you an offer. If they really don't want it, they just lowball you badly. Is the 2nd dealer making a decent offer (say close to wholesale)?

As for CD player, you might look thru latest issues of Roundel (BMW CCA) and Bimmer magazines. One big, established parts, esp. CD, advertiser is Pacific BMW (800-909-PARTS or www.PacificBMW.com). For example, Pacific is selling the NAKAHICHI glovebox CD changer for $392.99 and "CD Changer from 96" for $392.99. Both with free shipping. Another source is Passport BMW (888-334-4383 or www.passportbmw.com). Passport is selling "6 Disc CD Changer '96 and Newer" for $379.00. Plus shipping.
  • joatmonjoatmon Posts: 315
    David,

Way to go! Be safe and have fun. In a 530, you can do both.

Jack
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    From the buyer's point of view (in my opinion), what CPO gets you is 6 years/100,000 miles of warranty. The basic warranty is 4 years/50,000 miles, so the dealer probably must pay for the extra 2 years/50,000 miles. In addition, the dealer must check the car over and provide paper work to the factory (BMW) that the car qualifies as a CPO. If the dealer knows that the car qualifies as a CPO, but has not completed the "CPO process", then he could offer the car without the additional warranty for less money.

I would guess that the extra warranty coverage is available to new BMW buyers before the standard warranty expires.
  • wabendswabends Posts: 102
    Thanks for your comments. One dealer asked about the trade-in but the other did not even ask.

I will take a look at the sites you have suggested for the CD changer.
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    It is great to see that you are still posting here but you haven't said anything about the G35, how do you like it. Share with us won't you? I'm sure it is appropriate seeing as how you are one of the best contributors to this board. We
    would love to hear your input on your great car.
    Thanks in advance.
  • dzubadzuba Posts: 159
    I am one happy camper today I must say! Picked the car up last night - drove the Highway home for an hour and had a blast. Almost impossible to keep the car under 70 - 80 MPH, I mean impossible!!!! I may have to look into the BMW installed radar/laser. The car just goes.

Along the way (2 years) you all have been extremely helpful and I mean that. I look forward to joining the BMW Club and pinging you all as questions arise.

Shipo, Snaigel, Reiz, and all the rest - THANKS!
    Beers on me when we meet!

Today it is raining a bit, and I need to go back to Chicago for a meeting - I may take my Maxima until my heart slows down.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Pleasure delayed is usually that much sweeter when it is realized. Congratulations!

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    I didn't want to unleash any of the tired "G35 vs. 5/3 series" rhetoric by coming in and gloating about the new car. But, since I've now been on both sides and you asked, what the heck...

First, since I have the G35 Coupe, I don't think any comparison to the 5-series is appropriate. The closest competitor--in size, price, and mission--is the 330Ci (which I test drove and evaluated pretty thoroughly). The 330 earned marks for its high quality (if somewhat drab) interior, its ultra-smooth drivetrain, linear braking, great steering, and all-around great balance, feedback, and feel.

The G35, in turn, shined with its 280hp/270lb-ft powerplant, short-throw shifter, great seats, powerful (Brembo) brakes, awesome exterior styling, and, perhaps most importantly, immense "fun-to-drive" factor.

Overall, the G35 offered slighly more performance, but the 330 offered slighly more refinement and control. BMW purists would be drawn to the latter, and bring up things like heritage, prestige, motorsports, BMWCCA, etc.

But, of course, there's one last pragmatic issue: price. With the relatively low volume of the G35 Coupe, they're being sold at (or darn close to) MSRP. Even still, my fully-loaded (including Nav) G35 came to $37.6k. A comparable '04 330Ci would invoice at $41k and sticker around $45k. So we're talking roughly a $5k spread, which isn't trivial in my book.

So, I went the G35. I love the car, plain and simple. The only awkward thing so far is, this car drawn attention, big time. I suppose a red Ferrari spyder driven by an attractive blonde might generate more head-turns, but not much.

Do I miss my 530? Of course. Do I compare the two? Not really. I understand the nature of wanting to find the "perfect car," but auto enthusiasts should spend more time celebrating the excellent choices before them, as opposed to battling incessantly over which car is best.

Cheers.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 64,692
    Interestingly enough, BMW does not offer this extended warranty to new car buyers, even at an additional cost. They have no factory extended warranty program, except on CPO cars.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

fjk & kyfdx... Keep in mind that CPO is BMW's program. It is designed and controlled by BMW NA. Not by BMW dealers. Just like with BMW's original factory warranty program and the maintenance/service programs. Dealers have to agree to the terms and conditions of the CPO program. Their complaince is monitored (though not apparently too much, from the detailed articles on this in Roundel (BMW CCA) and Bimmer magazines.

CPO is essentially designed to promote resale value of BMWs. And it helps dealers sell used cars at good (read: higher) prices. This benefits both BMW AG/NA and dealers. People will pay more up front if they know resale down road is high. And people will buy used cars and pay more for them if there is a good warranty on them.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 4,055
    Thanks for the very helpful review. Hope you continue to enjoy your new car. Keep us posted.
    kyfdx: interesting! GM lets you extend the original warranty up to three years I think.
    riez: I understand that this is BMW's program. But I would think that a dealer could decide whether to "CPO" a particular car or not. If a BMW dealer gets a used BMW as a trade in and has a buyer for it "as is", I don't know that he "required" to "CPO" the car. If it were me, I would want the additional warranty. The dealer could easily say that the car does not meet the CPO requirements to get around whatever agreements there are.
  • dabimmerdabimmer Posts: 165
    Terrific tribute from you to both cars and I agree... we do try to search for the "perfect car" I especially liked that last paragraph. Remember, keep us posted; similarities and differences in cars are what makes the car world go around. You have active emeritus status on this board..never forget that.Thanks again.
  • msealsmseals Posts: 257
    Thank you for that great post. Although I am not a big fan of the look of the G35 sedan, I do love the exterior look of the coupe. This takes on special importance to me because after this year I am seriously selling my 528i and getting a 330Ci or a G35 coupe. The difference for me is price as well, but in a different manner. I would go used and that being the case, the 330Ci as a CPO stands out to me much better than a new G35 coupe. I think the interior of the G35 is larger and I am sure the performance numbers are better as well, but I have had performance cars before and that only gets me in trouble with the law. I have to admit, this is my first BMW right now and I really love it. I am use to smaller cars and so I thought it would be too big based on the outward appearance. But some how magically once behind the wheel, the car is a lot smaller and nimbler to move around in traffice. The only thing I keep thinking about is that if the 5er is that great in traffic, imagine how great the 3er is. Plus I feel like even though I am 31, the 5er makes me seem like I have money and it is almost a deterant from finding a woman who is out for money, because I don't!!

Mark
  • rheiserheise Posts: 7
    I have found a good lease deal on a 530i at my local dealership and he has two cars with the options I want. One is Jet Black and the other is Black Sapphire.

The salesman says he prefers Black Sapphire since it doesn't show the dirt as much as Jet Black.

I have this picture in my mind of a black on black BMW and I want to make sure that the Sapphire will look black. It is hard to make a comparison on the lot since both are pretty dirty.

Please post your satisfaction with either color and whether Black Sapphire really does hide dirt better. All opinions appreciated!

Thanks,

Robert
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Prior to my current Sapphire Black 530i, I had three other cars that were Black (not BMWs mind you, just other black cars), and I can tell you that clean or dirty, the Sapphire Black is a much richer look what with the extra layers of clear coat that the Metallic paint includes. Oddly enough, unless there are two cars side-by-side, it is very difficult to tell which color is which.

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S.

If you want to see my ride, click on the following:

http://photos.yahoo.com/shipo

Then you can check out the various photos that I have posted. ;-)
    A Cadillac dealer would wash both cars so you could see them. Since they are dirty you should be able to make a determination as to whether the Sapphire really does hide dirt (probably not).
  • cretecrete Posts: 105
    I just picked up my new '03 540iA on Monday and I'm so thrilled with everything about this car. My dealer gave me the DVD for the Nav and before I load it in, I wanted to make sure it is the correct one. The label on the disc says "Mini". Is BMW using the same disc that is in the Mini Cooper cars?
  • rweiss2rweiss2 Posts: 6
    Will someone give me a good reason to choose a 525 over the 530 since the lease difference is about 50-60 per month. I like the extra power of the 530, but is it worth the difference. I am coming from a Saab (SE) and an Audi(sloow). Thanks for any input.
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    If you are going with the Steptronic, go with the 530i. If you are going 5 speed, either I6 is OK. I own a 530i with 5 speed and it really moves.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/nyc530i

Hope this helps....JL
  • cbgb1975cbgb1975 Posts: 51
    ...Congrats!... I know what you mean and learned to set the speed limit warning tone real quick, like on the ride home. Bonk....bonk....bonk...all the way...Have fun in your great new drive!
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    Sapphire Black is more classy & richer looking than Jet Black, but black is black. Sapphire will not "hide the dirt better." Owning a black car is a very satisfying experience, but it takes hard work and CARE to maintain. I've owned a Jet Black 325i for 11 years and though there are a few minor scratches, it still looks great. From day one, it has been hand washed and Zymol'd on a regular basis.

Hope this helps...JL
  • rweiss2rweiss2 Posts: 6
    You make a good point. Yes, I would get the Steptronic so the 530 is better. I only wish I had the guts to go back to a 5 speed after all these years. Saw your page. Great looking car.
    Thank you again
    RW