Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Welcome to the Edmunds forums! We are changing the way you sign into our forums. Click here to learn more.

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Hmmm, I know that there is a display that tells me that a door is not completely closed, I too have kids and see it, a lot, however, now that I am pressed to say what it is, I cannot remember. We are in NYC this weekend in the "Green Monster" (aka. our ubiquitous Green Dodge Grand Caravan), so I will check when we get back, and if you answer hasn't been answered yet, I will post what I see.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • karmikankarmikan Posts: 116
    There's an orange pictogram of your car located in a rectangular display just below your speedo. It will show if a door isn't closed or if a bulb is out. It only works if your ignition is on.
  • warthogwarthog Posts: 216
    I'm a recent 530ia owner (2 mos.), coming from a Chrysler 300M. The Chrysler had alloy wheels with 4w disks, and never had any visible brake dust. The Chrysler, by the way, was as renown for short braking distance as the bimmer. The BMW is, as we all know, plagued with the stuff. Why?
  • bmwgurubmwguru Posts: 51
    BMW uses a softer pad and disk than the industry norm. It offers superior braking performance with less fade. Drive it hard all day and the brakes perform consistantly. BMW's retain less energy in the braking system than other cars. The trade-off is the amount of brake dust produced.
  • george94george94 Posts: 75
    In my package, MY03, SP and PP, the display under speedo says "door open". It doesn't say which door is open..
    Karmikan, yes, I saw the picture in the manual. However, I don't have it in my car. Not certain why..
    Interesting, thought the graphic was standard because it didn't seem to be included in any options packages.

Sorry I can't help
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    The E39 Premium Package includes the MID (Multi Information Display) under the odometer/trip odometer. The pictogram is on the non PP cars. MID will provide status in words and the pictopgram will use the "car" graphic.

Hope this helps...JL
  • cretecrete Posts: 105
    I'm a new owner MY03 540a and for the moment have two simple questions. I have to load the nav dvd disk, but the label on the disk says it is "Mini". Is this still the correct DVD to use in my 540. Or is this only for the Mini cars?

Are sheepskin wash mitts good to use on the car?
    I'm in the Northern Calif area
  • jb_shinjb_shin Posts: 357
    I am quite certain that you can use the "MINI" disc. MINI shares the same hardware and probably the same OS as well.

Most of the manufacturers use Navtech map data and simply compile it differently so that the disc suits their company. For example, only listing BMW dealers on BMW discs, whereas if you had an aftermarket. VDO disc, you can access any one of the number of dealers, among other things.
  • dfk2dfk2 Posts: 1
    I am going to look at a 2000 528i, the current owner shows the car as having cold weather, heated steering wheel, moonroof, xenons and the premium package. Does anyone know what what included in the 2000 premium package? Is it the same package as the new 03's or did it include more?
  • wabendswabends Posts: 102
    Thanks for the information. It will come in handy when I go to the dealership next week.

Regards,
    Wabends
  • ksqrdksqrd Posts: 21
    wabends: You're very welcome. Good luck making a deal--I'm sure you'll be very pleased with the car if you end up purchasing it!

srfast: My MY01 SP/PP car has no MID, so I'm not sure if this became part of the premium package in '02 or later. I thought that the premium stereo is also a factor in determining which cars have the MID (mine is the non-DSP model). Can anyone else clarify this point?
    I have PP on my 03 530i that includes DSP but I don't have MID.
  • srfastsrfast Posts: 138
    My US spec 2003 530i with PP does not not have DSP or the pictogram. The US PP includes the upgraded OBC and from my experience, the alphanumeric display. All the vehicle status information is displayed in the message area directly below the odometer & external temp displays. The two different types of instrument clusters can be seen on page 15 & 17 of the 2002/2003 E39 Owner's Manual. The owner's manual can be downloaded (PDF) from the BMW website if needed.

BTW, the MID (Multi-Information Display) is part of the radio station display area (page 87). I believe the MID is part of the upgraded OBC.

Hope this helps..JL
  • ksqrdksqrd Posts: 21
    Mine is also a US spec MY01 E39 (with SP/PP) and has a pictogram and no MID, so I think the upgraded OBC was new to the PP in MY02.

Consistent with this notion is this excerpt from the new-cars.com review for the MY02 E39: "Finally, the Premium Package jams in leather upholstery...and an upgraded on-board computer."

Full summary here:
    http://www.new-cars.com/2002/bmw/bmw-530i-sedan.html
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Posts: 539
    Air conditioning (automatic or manual) works by cooling the air. Then, to moderate the cooling, some heat can be added by the heater. Modern cars usually cycle the compressor to provide enough cooling to keep the evaporator cold, but do not run the compressor continously unless it is very hot. When it is cold out (near freezing or below) the compressor will shut off even in "A/C mode". The automatic system just has a temperature sensor to decide if more or less heat is required to keep the car's interor at the set temperature. The fan speeds are governed by how far off the mid-range you are. How the A/C mode (compressor) gets turned on varies from car to car. In my car pushing the "auto" button turns on the fully automatic mode with compressor. I'm not sure how BMW does it or even if there really is a "fully automatic mode" in a BMW.
    I am not sure where you get your information, but I am guessing your source is not quite in tune with reality. On all of my (and my wife's) last seven cars (3-Mopar, 1-VW, 1-Mazda & 2-BMW), when the A/C button is engaged, regardless of the OAT, the A/C compressor does in fact engage. Once the temperature of the Evaporator reaches a pre-determined temperature, the compressor will then start cycling to keeping the evaporator within the factory spec range. This is done so that the air in the interior of the car is dried as it circulates through the HVAC system, thus eliminating the interior glass fogging problem common under many environmental conditions.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Well, I don't know how BMW does it. But I do know that my cars do not run the compressor when it is below freezing. Even in defrost mode!
    Are you absolutely sure? There are plenty of situations that can cause interior fogging of the windows even when the OAT is below freezing.

Best Regards,
    Shipo

P.S.
    What do you drive?
    I can't say what BMW does. However, think about this: if you keep the evaporator below freezing, what will happen to the moisture that condenses out of the air?
    Good point, however, I never said that the evaporator was kept below freezing all of the time (or for that matter at anytime), that would be a disaster even in the summer time. As the interior air in the car circulates through the HVAC system, the air itself will remain below freezing (assuming a cold start and an initial OAT and cabin temperature that is below freezing) only as long as it takes for the engine to warm up and to heat the cabin enough to bring it above freezing. While I do not know the specific ranges that the various manufacturers use, my guess is that the upper threshold is somewhere above the freezing mark, with the lower being at or below freezing.

FWIW, there have been plenty of times in my life where I have gotten into a car drenched to the skin from melting snow, sleet, freezing rain or even sweat from a long winter time run or cross country skiing workout, and had the interior glass fog up, even though the OAT was well below freezing. All that is necessary to clear the glass fast is to engage the A/C system. If I found out that there was a manufacturer that prevented the compressor from engaging below freezing, I would immediately eliminate that line of vehicles from future consideration.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Unless you allways run in recirculate mode (not a good idea), the outside air will have at most a relative humidity of 100%. So if the outside air is at freezing (32F or 0C) and the defroster warms it to say 80F, the relative humidity is at most 20%. Now if the air is more like 100F coming out of the defroster, the relative humidity is 10%. This should be dry enough to evaporate water off the glass.

Now if the evaporator reduces the temperature to 20F, and the defroster is at 100F, the relative humidity would be 5%. This is only a 5% increment.
    I (almost) never use "Recirc" mode. Consider this; last December, I drove to my favorite running trail on a zero degree Fahrenheit day and parked the car. I then headed out for a 10 mile trail run, and during the run it started to snow heavily. Due to the intensity of the snow, my run took me almost 90 minutes, and my car, cabin and engine and all, was quite cold by the time I returned to it. I on the other hand was very hot and wet, so I placed a towel over my leather seats, and got in. Within a matter of moments, I had "Steamed" up the entire interior of the car, and no amount of "Full Heat" (sans A/C) from an engine that has a core temperature WAY below freezing, was going to clear the glass. I simply pressed the A/C button, and "Presto", within 15-20 seconds, the glass was clear enough for me to start driving home, and within a minute, even the rear door glass was clear.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • mukmanmukman Posts: 4
    I've had my new 530 a little over 3 weeks now and love the car. I am looking at tinting the windows (since it is gray with black leather) to help keep the car cool in summer. Is there any specific type of tint that works best with the car? Also, here in VA the legal tint is 50% front windows, and 35% back. Is this a noticeable difference where the front windows will always look lighter than the back ones at all times? Any one have any thoughts?

Thanks
    I am sure that what you did was to select defrost, which most likely "turned the compressor on". At least that is how my system works. However, that does not mean that the compressor is running. If your car was sitting in a garage and warm, then yes it will run. But at zero F air will hold very little water, about 1/4 as much as at freezing. So if you heater was able to pump out 60F air, it would have a relative humidity of less than 10%. This should have cleared off the windows. What you need to do the next time your car has been sitting out in the cold all day is to check this out.

There are two critical things to keep the windows from fogging: One is to heat them up and the second is to reduce the inside humidity enough so they won't fog. The defroster does both: - 1) it heats the windshield by blowing warmed air on it - 2)the warmed air from outside will have a lower humidity which will help evaporate the moisture. Now the heater will bring in dry outside air and heat it also reducing the humidity in the car. This does take a bit of time. But if you (and other passengers) are wet, they humidify the car as you know.
    I am sure that what you did was to select defrost, which most likely "turned the compressor on".

No, I turned on the A/C. In fact, given that the "Defroster" on both my 1999 328i and my 2002 530i was/is so aggressive, I have only used that mode a few times in the last four years. I find it much more comfortable to simply direct the airflow toward the glass (a mode that BMW thoughtfully includes that is separate and distinct (read mutually exclusive) from the defrost mode) and turn on the A/C.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
    Whatever. What you need to understand is that condensation forms on the windows when the dew point in the car is higher than the temperature of the glass. So to get the water off the glass and keep it off you must either warm up the glass or reduce the dew point in the car. (I am assuming that you understand what a dew point is)

If the temperature is below freezing outside and your A/C runs the compressor, your evaporator is going to have ice build up on it. I assume that your engine compartment heat is isolated to a large extent from the outside air inlet to the passenger compartment. This implies that even though the compressor may shut down, the ice will not melt. If the system goes into a recirculate mode, (with the passenger compartment warmed up), the ice could be melted, however, the drain hole will be below freezing and how will the water run out?
    I do in fact understand all of that, however, it seems that the point that you are missing is that the evaporator is only going to be below freezing only until the air circulating through it warms it up enough to bring it above freezing (regardless of whether you are in Recirc mode or not), and what little ice that forms (even at 100% humidity, zero degree air dosen't carry a whole lot of water) will eventually melt off. When it melts off, and most likely the drain hole will freeze shut, but so what, once again, we are not talking about a whole lot of water here, and a night in the 40 degree garage will take care of that.

The point I am trying to make is that it is both feasible and beneficial to allow the compressor to run when the OAT is below freezing, and fortunately, every A/C equipped car I have had for the last 20 years allows the compressor to engage below freezing.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • msealsmseals Posts: 257
    I have been reading your guys post with quite interest. I find things like this curious because for some stupid reason I wonder how things like this work. That being said, maybe there is an engineer who could better explain how the defogging of windows works in cars. I can't imagine that BMW has come up with a way to do it any different from any other car. Maybe I might check on the how things work site to see if something is out there.
    What we really need is for someone with the BMW repair manual (if one is available) to check what it says about the A/C system. BMW cannot depend on owners putting their cars in a warm garage everynight.