Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 5-Series Sedans

Comments

• musher2musher2 Posts: 23
    Normally, I'm not a big believer in extended warranties, at least not for run-of-the-mill appliances like microwaves and VCRs. However, I bought the ext warr for my 323i two years ago and I'm glad I did. It just paid for new brake pads (at just 27K miles...hmmm, I must be braking harder than I thought), which the service guy said was a $500 - 600 job. And, having just sold this car to a private party, I was able to recover half the $800 cost of the warranty by tacking an additional $400 onto the sale price (it's transferrable). The buyer was happy to pay the extra $400 for two years of full coverage on a pre-owned car.

So even though I owned the car for just two years, the ext warranty paid for itself and then some.

I, too, will be picking up a 530i in a week or so, and I plan on including the extended warranty when the deal is closed (you can do it post-sale, but I don't want to take the chance of missing the deadline).
  • riezriez Posts: 2,361
    hssahu & musher2... Are you talking BMW CPO or some 3rd party?
  • cotmccotmc Posts: 1,081
    I called to get more info on the basic rewards package. I was told I would need a minimum of 35,000 rewards points to receive any savings on BMW financing ($350 savings), or 30,000 rewards points to receive savings toward a new BMW lease ($300 savings). Other options for redeeming points included an extra free 1000 miles on a current lease, or "paying" for wear-and-tear at the end of a lease. Since I am not currently leasing, and because I am not a particularly big spender, I declined on this $50/yr rewards package.
  • musher2musher2 Posts: 23
    My apologies for imprecise language. What I purchased was an extended Maintenance Program. Lessee here, if I've got this straight, all new BMWs have Full Maintenance for 36 months or 36K miles, which is separate from the (limited) New Vehicle Warranty that runs 48 months or 50K miles. The "BMW Maintenance Program Agreement" that covers the extension I bought describes two types of extended coverage -- "Scheduled Maintenance", which provides "factory recommended maintenance as listed in the owner's BMW Service Warranty Booklet" for 48 months/50K miles, or "Full Maintenance", which includes coverage for "brake linings (pads) and rotors, external drive belts, battery, clutch and wiper blades" (effectively extending the standard 36/36 Full Maint coverage to 48/50).

Interestingly, what I thought was an $800 cost was actually $399, now that I've pulled the paperwork and checked. I don't recall if I negotiated the price down from something higher to $399, but the fact that the cost was $399 versus an even number like 400 suggests it was the going rate at the time. Or perhaps it was one of those "special deals" that the sales guy could offer only to a "really special customer" like me! ;-)

So, now that my memory's refreshed regarding the fact that my car, like all new BMWs, has standard Full Maintenance coverage for 36/36, it appears that the brake work I had done yesterday with an odometer reading of 27K miles should have been covered without the extended MP. I think I'll call the service guy that was so effusive about my extended coverage and point out that ALL new cars that are sub-36/36 should be covered for that work, and see what he says.
    cotmc... Thanks for the info. You know more about it than I do. But I'm going to try it for a while. I pretty much haven't used cash to buy anything in years. If I can buy it using a credit card I do. Gasoline, groceries, you name it. And both my credit cards are automobile rebate cards (I use each for half the month). The realized rebates have added up into the thousands of dollars. And I pay the bills in full each month so there is no finance charge.

Too bad BMW's program isn't nearly as good as GM's current, Ford's former, or even Ford's successor (Citibank Driver's Edge).
  • merckxmerckx Posts: 565
    Could you give the site(or link) for the Citibank card. I built up $2,500 on a GM card;I bought my wife a Catera,though,as that was the only GM car I had an interest in.
    Be sure to use your card for all your gasoline purchases. I believe they pay double points on gasoline purchases. (Gee, I just might have signed up for this rebate program if we owned a Lincoln Blackwood or a Ford Excursion!)
  • cmr530icmr530i Posts: 278
    Just curious, how do others on this board feel about the fit, finish and materials used on their "M" sport steering wheel? (Personally, I am very pleased.) Anyone else feel that it should be completely wrapped in leather? Has it ever been?
  • john01john01 Posts: 246
    I am happy with ours. To my knowledge, it has never been completely covered in leather. Copy of German market accessory catalog for E39 shows various combinations of wood and plastics, but no leather.
    merckx... Pulled out my platinum Citi Driver's Edge card. There is a 1-800-967-8500 number as well as www.citibankcards.com web address. The nice thing about these rebate dollars is that they can be used on any marque and can be used on used cars. I got back $400 from Driver's Edge when I bought my CPO BMW. But you do earn points a lot slower than with GM card. (Since I'm a charter member, think I earn points at twice rate new members can today.)
  • polo2928bpolo2928b Posts: 21
    It seems allkuxury models are abandoning the 3.0 and moving to a 3.5m does any know if the next 5 series will come in 3.5 engine (like the 540, that will be offered in a 545 model)
  • polo2928bpolo2928b Posts: 21
    It seems all luxury models are abandoning the 3.0 and moving to a 3.5m does any know if the next 5 series will come in 3.5 engine (like the 540, that will be offered in a 545 model)
    polo2928b... Reportedly will include a 3.5L I-6. Some reports of there being a turbo-charged version of this 3.5L I-6. Europeans will continue to get a much larger number and type engines (e.g., diesels) than we will, but Americans will also get choices.
    My apologies if this question has already been asked in this forum: Is BMW going to produce a 2003 model year 5-series? Or will 2002 be the last model year assigned to the 5-series until they produce the next generation 2004 models?

As a reference, BMW did not produce any 1996 5-series models. I'm curious as to whether BMW might do the same thing for the 2003 model year?
  • nycanyca Posts: 232
    Yes, there will be a 2003 E39. Positively, for sure, I saw the list of changes for it at a club meeting at BMWNA headquarters a few weeks ago. Lately however, I'm seeing some rumors that the E60 mau arrive by June 2003. You never know....
  • pen101pen101 Posts: 238
    I now have my 2002MY 530i for 6 months and 6,500 miles. Thought I would take this opportunity to make some comments based on this experience.

The car is a 5-speed with SP and PP and Zenon lights. Color is black on black. I have a 3 year, 36K mile lease. The negotiated purchase price was $1,000 over invoice, plus $400 MACO. No other fees. The way the dealer tried to get me was in the leasing numbers. But I did my homework and was not fooled when they added extra 4 points to the Money Factor and an extra $100 to each security deposit. Bottom line, saved about $3,000 that the dealer would have taken from me if I was uninformed as to how leasing works.

I chose the 530i 5-speed after test driving the 330i, 528i, and 540i. The automatics felt too unresponsive compared to the manual. The 5 series had more of a solid feel and luxury feel than the 3 and had a little more needed interior room (deciding factor). The 530 was much more responsive than the 528. The 540 was what I wanted, but was out of my budget range (I thought about used, but was worried about the extra expense - insurance, gas, brakes, tires, maintenance, etc., compared to a new 530 with all maintenance covered). I also considered ED, but needed a replacement car sooner than they could deliver. Also, my wife did not want me to travel to Europe to save the $2,500 (she was worried about dangers of flying and such - remember this was soon after 9/11)

I highly recommend the SP option. Best option to have. I test drove a 530 with and without SP, and the decision was easy for me. The car seemed to feel more secure at high speed and around fast turns. Also it makes the car look more aggressive. And the M-steering wheel is great.

The car gives me everything I wanted, sports car handling, good acceleration, four door convenience, luxury appointments, safety, great looking and that overall fun factor lacking in other cars. The car even has averaged so far about 23 mpg in stop and stop combined city and highway driving (parking?) and even got 31 mpg on a 145 mile trip to San Diego (from LA) at an average of 71 MPH (average speed achieved only at night).

Some negatives (most are trivial): (1) Arm rest. The center arm rest is too low, not height adjustable, not padded and lacks storage. Also, the arm rest can be moved forward, but if you put the parking brake up, it hits the arm rest, pushing it back. (2) Seats. The seats are very good, but would be nice to have adjustable lumbar support included at no extra cost. (3) Stereo. The base stereo is adequate, but should be better for a car costing this much. Also the CD player lacks a play time indicater that other units have. (4) Air conditioning button. The control for the air conditioning is a far reach to the lower right of the center panel. Have to take my eye off the road to find it and then lean over to press it. (5) Speedometer. It is fast by about 5 MPH at 70MPH. This actually may be a good thing, because it may save you from a ticket. It already saved me from at least one. (6) Cigarette lighter. I use it to power my radar detector. But when you put the lighter away, if you do not push it in all the way, the lid gets stuck. (6) cup holders. Enough said.

The car has been perfect from day one and has as yet not needed an unscheduled stop to the dealer to fix something. I am still very, very happy with my car decision and will find it very difficult parting with it when my lease is up (unless I buy it, which is an option). In fact, I have put more mileage on the car than I though I would (because I cannot stop driving it - it is so addicting). It may be difficult to keep at the lease mileage allowance. But it is early still, so we will see (I averaged about 10,000 miles a year in my previous car).

Sorry for such a long post. And thank you for all the information I have gotten from all your posts this past 9 months and more.
  • nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 11,700
    Try www.citicards.com. It is a great program. I get 2% back on all my purchases and you can redeem the rebate for any new or used car, even for service. I recently purchased a 2001 Honda Prelude Type SH and got back $460 from Citibank. hey it isn't much, but it is still $460 in my pocket. I think there is a $2500 limit.

The GM card is great because it gives you 5% back on all your purchases. My parents had a few thousand (5 or 6000) points toward any GM car or Truck which was great except that nobody in my family will ever drive a GM car again after certain experiences I had with my Chevy Beretta.

And just to stay on topic here, I saw a black/black SP 530i on the GW bridge over the weekend! Gorgeous car!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2015 Infiniti Q40 AWD, 2017 Honda Pilot Touring AWD

• mingeemingee Posts: 1
    Hello all, I'm new to the marque, as well as to the forum, but happy to report my recent purchase of a 2001 530iA CPO, Topaz,Sand with PP and CWP. I drove all different variations of the 530, I knew that I wanted the 530 for it's combination of power, balance, age, looks, I could go on but won't. I decided not to get the SP due to the winter issue, although in the DC area that hasn't been much of a problem the past few years. The car obviously is a pure delight to drive; believe it or not the other car I considered was a new TL type S. I am Very happy with my decision.
    My only concern is that, and I hope that this is the correct place to post this, the brake dust on the wheels is most difficult to get rid of. I am aware of this phenomena, had a C280 before, I think that the previous owner was not as concious about cleaning them as I. The car has 15K, and there are some stubborn areas I can't get clean. I have tried Turtle wax wheel cleaner (acid free) vinegar and dish soap, not to my satisfaction. Any suuggestions from you enthusiasts would be most welcome... Thanx.
  • royalredroyalred Posts: 16
    P21S works well on my wheels. They come in 1 and 5 liter bottles. See http://www.p21s.com/ for more information.