Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Lexus LS 400/LS 430

Comments

• vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
    Did you write to them? I guess I am trying to figure out what do I need to be informed when the option to shut the message up is available.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    The notice came to me unsolicited. It is titled LCS 3LD - 2001 to 2002 Model Year LS 430 Lexus Link Reprogramming. It is a no-cost "Limited Service Campaign". I would assume that it will eventually get mailed to everyone who has a 2001 or 2002 LS 430 with Lexus Link.

It says to call 800-255-3987 with any questions.

Good Luck.
  • vchengvcheng Member Posts: 1,284
  • ljflxljflx Member Posts: 4,690
    I've heard the HPX was not going to be produced but also heard it would likely come out around the same time as the GS. So I wish I really knew what was going on there. The looks of both supposedly will fit the new profile and then it will spread to the LS in 2006 and the ES after that. Don't know anything about the RX - but that is doing very well right now anyway. But I keep getting told that a more powerful engine will be an option at some time in the 2004 model year. It may simply be on a special sport edition LS that is supposedly in the works.

I thought I would get some answers a week and a half ago but had to cancel a service appointment because of business.

Did you get anything firm on the HPX and, if so its timetable?

Paulchiu - I heard the 2004 would come out at the same time as usual - early October but perhaps lenscap has updated info. It doesn't make sense to me that the analine leather is only available in black. Did you check availability at lexus.com? Try building your own car if you haven't already done so.
  • paulchiupaulchiu Member Posts: 378
    leonard,

The aniline leather is available in Burgendy; but the dealers do not have it in stock, and ordering one will take up to 4 months; so they say. To be sure, I am sure they are just trying to clear inventory. The black/black combo is popular enough to be ordered by many dealerships.. Since we are close to 2004 models, and perhaps the LS isn't selling as well, I am seeing the best deals on the Ultra editions..

My wife is against the black exterior as she is afraid of it being more dangerous to drive at night. She is also concerned that people might back into it while parking at night. Since I never own a black car; I could not argue with her...

I do know that black looks gorgeous when waxed!
  • anthonycecilanthonycecil Member Posts: 68
    I have the eggplant purple. I would warn against any dark color as it is quite difficult to keep clean. The black interior in the nice leather is really a dark charcoal color and is peaceful. Tony
    In a LS? I don't see that in the 2003 book..
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    cars remain beautiful for about ten minutes, on the average, after wash/detail.
    Does the millinimun silver look similar to the Mercedes' brilliant silver?
    The milenium silver is duller than the brilliant silver of the MB. Both are beautiful colors though and look good on both cars. The mienium silver with dark tinted glass all around and the ash gray interior is beautiful.
    I think my dealers can get me this combo, as the black/black maybe a tad too dark. Leonard?
  • stevesteinstevestein Member Posts: 263
    My previous car was a black/black MB. I never had any of the visibility problems you were concerned about, and it looked great for the first minute after being washed. Any speck of dirt, pollen, rain or other real world factor shattered that look. My MB dealer said he rarely sold two in a row in that combo to a customer.

I just started to get the a/c filter warning message. I tried the reset described earlier and it worked. I'll let you know if the system detects a problem and reissues the alert, or if it was just preprogrammed in.
    I haven't seen it in silver with the black interior. I actually have the milennium silver and its a great color. But I have the light ecru interior (forgot the actual color name). When I was buying in 2001 it was impossible to get the ultra as it was pre-sold for 6 months so I never gave it any thought. I test drove a demo ultra they had and thought it was the most beautiful interior on any car made at the time. But the interior color was that same light ecru - but in the analine leather (remember though that this was 2001) - so that is why I was surprised that you cant get something different than black.

The ash gray interior is gorgeous. I often think I should have opted for it. It's not really dark at all.

I've seen the silver/black combo on the GS and it is beautiful from the outside. I think the black is more tolerable with a lighter exterior color. From my 1998 experience the black interior is fine during day time driving and it doesn't get as hot in summer as you might think. Also Lexus has a killer A/C that cools the car almost instantly. What you need to do is see if you like the dark interior while driving at night. I'm sure they will let you take a car home overnight to see if you or your wife will like it. They allowed me to take the LX470 for an entire weekend before I bought it.
    The take home idea is great; except I am afraid that might totally bind me to the dealership. At the present, I am seeing over 6K off the ultra edition on average; with some dealers eager to give even more on the in stock LS's. Even the base+ML+Nav can be had for nearly 4K off. I don't think the 2004 will have these mark downs during the 1st 3 to 6 months. Maybe I will get that mill silver with the aniline insides.
  • drcomputerdrcomputer Member Posts: 82
    Just thought I'd let everyone know that the Lexus Performance Driving School was a blast. It was yesterday (June 9th) at California Speedway in Fontana. We got to totally chew up a slew of IS300, GS430, and LS430's on the track. I would HIGHLY recommend it to all of you that would love to drive your cars 130mph on the track, slam on the brakes, skid through corners and slide around on a wet track. There were only 60 people in our "class" and they said it sold out in a week. They are running another class in August. Check out www.lexusdrivingschool.com for more info.

I didn't mean for this to sound like an ad, but I think it was the best 10 hours I've ever had.
    How was the LS430 at 130, doing corners on the track? How was it spinning at speeds? Did you wear a helmet? Was the ML on?
    A true audiophile speaking...

At 130MPH and hard turns someone pays attention?
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    The corporate Lexus guy I talked to at the SUV driving event was very firm that the HPX will come to market. He said in about a year, a few months after the new GS. His comment was "Prototypes are very expensive to design and build, and Lexus would not commit the dollars to such a project unless that concept would ultimately become a production car." Thinking back, both the RX 300 and GS 300 (2nd generation) were shown as "concepts" that were 99% the production vehicles.
  • lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    I've read interviews with Lexus brass saying the HPX and the new GS will be the first cars showing the new corporate design direction to make all Lexus models look like they are from the same family. This is further backed up by an email I received yesterday from Lexus on the HPX. At the end of the email it states:

"In fact, the design team created such a daring, original design philosophy that it would be a shame to limit it to any one vehicle, even one as impressive as the HPX Concept Vehicle. So, as with all of our innovations, we'll be looking to incorporate this thinking into all of our future Lexus vehicles. We'll have even more information available about this bold design philosophy on lexus.com later this month."

It looks like the first marketing efforts for the new corporate "look" will be underway shortly.
  • alpha01alpha01 Member Posts: 4,747
    Would you mind posting your email address or emailing me? I would like to ask you several questions about the Lex Performance Driving Event, if possible.

Thanx.

~alpha
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    ....."daring, original design philosophy". Pleeease...it is me or does anyone else think it copies the Infiniti Fx?
  • drcomputerdrcomputer Member Posts: 82
    We didn't use the LS on the big track. We actually used the LS to slide around on the wet track to purposely spin it out of control (that was a blast). We actually wore the tires to the core and the odometer said the car only had 12 miles on it. On the big track where we were able to hit 130, we used the GS430 and IS300.
    The indicator bulbs/lamps used in (throughout) the Lexus climate control and intrument panel appear to be 12 volt 65 milliamp T1 with wire base. Can be purchased from Chicago Lamp for $10.68 (ten pak) or at Lexus already mounted on their base for $6.79 (each).
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    Gents;
          I ordered and received my 03 LS 430 Ultra in Black Cherry Pearl with Burgundy interior. It was exactly 90 days from the time I placed the order until delivery.
    Hope this helps.
    Ron
    Ron,

I am shopping for an 2003 LS Ultra right now. Can you share your total price with us, and what region are you in. Thanks.
    radio shack p/n 272-1092 2 pak, ~$2.00
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Thanks a lot.
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    I think it may be you. Look at them (pix, obviously) side-by-side. I just did again, and there is really only the genre resemblance. I mean, 4 wheels, no trunk, rounded instead of squared etc. The HPX and FX look more like each other than they do like, for example, the LX, but the FX is far more verticle, far less sleek and streamlined. The snouts are vastly different. The HPX looks much more like a stationwagon than the FX. which looks more like a bulbous SUV. I like the FX exterior a lot, but the HPX is, IMHO, a FAR better looking vehicle.

And as far as the interior goes, there is no comparison. The FX looks and feels just dreadful; the HPX looks like George Jettson just got out of it. The interior is what gives me reason to doubt the imminent introduction of the HPX. From what I saw, there is no way they can make that interior (or anythng like it) work today without making the iDrive look like an ergonomic dream. There is NOTHING like that interior anywhere. The closest thing I have seen is the GM Hy-wire concept. Have you seen either?

If Lexus does produce something like the HPX shown at the car shows, I will be interested to see how the MB crowd plays the "imitator" theme.
    Obviously same "school" of styling.
  • ron36330ron36330 Member Posts: 69
    Paul;
        I ordered an 03 LS 430 Ultra w/ Chrome wheels,Gold package, wheel locks and trunk mat.
    I paid $68,000 and ordered the car in October 02 but I am sure you can get a better deal now. Also region does make a difference. I had a guy from Texas tell me I paid too much, but that was the best deal I could get at the time in my area. I live in Alabama.
    Good luck in your purchase. The LS 430 is a great car and I have not had the first problem. It feels so good to own a car and everything works as advertised.
    Ron
    Thanks for the info. The Ultra edition is still very hard to get. Even in the New York region. Seems like the black/black ultra is available; but not much else. To get a crystal white/burgendy aniline interiors will take 3 months. By then, the 2004 might be out. No dealership would reveal the 2004 schedule; for obvious reasons.

If I cannot locate a combo I like, I might just sit out for the 2004.

Thanks again, Paul
  • nealm1nealm1 Member Posts: 154
    You say "school," I say "genre." I don't disagree. But the same is true of the A6 and the 5 series, the Passat and a dozen other cars. The HPX and the FX are in the same category, serve the same purposes, and have class-based similarites in shape and size. This does not make the HPX a "copy" of the FX, which is what I understood carnaught to be claiming. On the contrary, although I like the look of both vehicles, I think the overall styling of the HPX is quite original, inside (esp.) and out. Just my 2 cents
  • carnaughtcarnaught Member Posts: 3,497
    I still don't know about use of the word, "original". While the interiors may be different (Lexus usually does better), you can't deny that the shape aand stance of the vehicle and the slit like headlights on the HPX weren't "borrowed" from the Fx....huh?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    We're in the New York region.. the Bordeaux interior on UL cars is not even being built for ground stock, it's special order only so figure it's 12+ weeks to get one, so it'll have to be an '04 then. The car is also scheduled for revisions for the '04 model year, so.. who knows if Crystal White/Bordeaux will be offered on them. I don't have an '04 color guide yet for the LS430.

Just a note.. a Crystal White/Bordeaux car might have poor resale value in the future..
    Thanks for the help. The dealer came back today and said the mill-silver with burgendy aniline interiors can be found. How is this combo in keeping resale dollars?
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Well...

We don't stock them. I haven't ran a locate or anything, but I am sure that there's a couple of cars out there with the bordeaux interior.

Hold on.. lemme see something... Just spoke with a wholesaler I know. He agrees with me, a Silver/Black say, 2 years old would be worth about $2,500 more than a Silver/Bordeaux.

I think you mentioned you're in NY.. I'm in Jersey so similar market. Silver does a tad better here than Crystal White. Silver/Black does best.. then perhaps Black/Ivory or Black/Black (Too bad you cant get an Ivory UL!)

Bill
    Then for the very same reason, logic, the FX must be a "copy" of the SC430.
    I'll keep your suggestions handy as I go on another weekend shopping trip. REALLY hope this Seattle-like rainy season would end here in the NY area.
    I believe the reason Lexus has limited the analine leather to the bordeaux is because production has already started on the 2004's. The new model supposedly will have a lot more alternatives than the 2003's for color combos. Remember also that the 2004 is supposed to have a better styled front and rear. Guaranteed - you'll pay sticker thru December and near sticker till February. Thus it really comes down to the value buy vs. perhaps the more satisfying perfect buy. Either way you won't go wrong.

Have you decided to pass on MB? Those posts on the S-class board are alarming.

By the way did you ever get to drive the LX470? If so what did you think of it?

Lastly if you go for an SUV - remember that those over 6,000 lbs. qualify for a special post 9/11 tax deduction if it is used for business purposes. On an LX that is like getting $15k back if you are in the top tax bracket.

Good luck.
    The HPX looks different than the FX and the difference is more noticable in person than in pictures. The latter looks like an SUV whereas the HPX looks more like a tall - albeit very beautiful - station wagon. The HPX is also a more luxurious looking vehicle and it is a longer wheel base than the FX. The FX is fattened at its sides as well and that is the one thing I don't like about it. As well the interior doesn't have the rich appointments you have gotten used to in an LS. I would imagine the HPX will do away with the Jetson like interior and become a more traditional Lexus like interior.

It's a knockout vehicle in person.
    I drove some 125 miles last weekend to Monmouth Ray Catena Lexus to test an ultra edition; in the pouring rain. We also tested the LX470 finally.

The LX470 was the most luxury car like truck I have tested this car buying season. I have tested the Cayenne S& Turbo, the G wagon, and the Range Rover before this. While the LX470 was Lexus luxury car like, with some of the LS430 broodline, it does not share the LS's quickness, and handles like a large truck. The view was not as good versus the Range Rover, for my personal dimensions.

The materials in the LX470 was more like the ES300's than the LS430's standard trim.

After driving the LX470, I decided quickly that if I were to go truck this time, the LX would not be the one.

Driving the air suspension LS430 with the fine aniline leather was very much like seating in my roche-bobois living room sectional. My butt and lower back was never this well treated in an automobile; not even in the S500. I think the ultra aniline interiors in the LS430 is the best; blows by my S500, and getting close to a Masarati.

Moving the 2 ton quiet-mobile in the rain was serene and relaxing. I did think the normal ride mode was perhaps a little harder than the normal mode in a standard LS430. The firm mode was like my S500's ride. The pickup was better than I thought, and the engine does not makes its way into the cabin even near 70mph.

It appears that the mil-black aniline is the only one that I could get before the 2004 rolls in, and I think I can get some discount on this. I agree with you that it is not likely I can get good discounts in a 2004 before 2004.

I am not renewing the lease on my 2001 S500. The ride is excellent, silent on the best paved roads; but a tad too much tire feedback on regular roads and bumps. The interior material is not well made, and after 1.5 years, started creaking. A couple of dashboard display items also continues to malfunction , and service can not seem to eliminate it totally.

I think for the 93.6K I paid, it should deliver much better quality.

I tested the BMW 7 series earlier today and the Hummer H2 to end my new car search list. Funny thing was that my wife and I liked the H2 over all the other trucks we have driven so far.

The new 7 was simply disappointing.

PS, my tax attorney tells me that claiming the tax credit on a brand new Range Rover might be pushing the envelope a bit......
    Should I buy the 2003 LS430 ultra now at a fantastic price or wait for the cosmetic changes in the 2004 edition?

I have really another 2 weeks to decide as the final 2003 inventory is about to dry out in the northeast.
    Having a new car that will look "old" in three months or saving several $K? If you trade often the 2003 has already depreciated almost a full year's value, and you may be able to recoup some of the money in the back end of the process by getting more for your 2004 when you get the next car. If you lease this is reflected already in the residual values. The percentage drops quarterly (and sometimes more frequently) during a model year, and this could offset much of the savings in the negotiated purchase price.

You seem to like fresh cars if you are getting out of your 2001 S-class. My feelings are that unless you are streching to get the LS (like I did) wait and get just what you want in a car that will be the current style for several years.
    Ray Catena in Monmouth is a real first class dealership. He runs one of the biggest MB dealerships in the northeast in Edison NJ as well. Our neighbors leased a Jag XJ from him at his dealership next to Lexus and got great service as well. By the way they also jumped out of an S-class that was problem laden.

You seem to have done your homework well on all the models. I'll have to sit in the new RR. I didn't find the old one up to LX standards but I've yet to sit in the new one. The LX gets a total redo in 2005 and I hear it will be bigger with top notch materials but will price out around $75k.

As for my vote - I'd go with the 2004. Given you are coming out of an S500 it will still be a bargain vs. MB. Lexus has very little first year problems and the 2004 is not a complete re-write anyway. You may be sorry if you find the new car to be sharper in style with 18" rims to boot. Supposedly it will also have an excellent DVD entertainment option as well. On the other hand $6-7k buys a nice plasma TV these days. The other advantage to the 2003 is that if you end up staying with Lexus on your renewal you'll be perfectly timed for the complete redo in 2006. Nonetheless I'd still opt for the 2004.
    I'm also a Catena customer and would recommend them highly, although a 125 mi drive is a long way from home!
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Hope you guys don't think this a incredibly stupid question, but what is aniline leather? Is it a tanning process? Is it softer?
    It's slightly softer than the stock Lexus leather, and seems easier on my back and butt.

It's definitely softer than the Coach edition leather that Lexus sometimes offer. It's offered in the ultra editions and is around 700 more.
    Yeah, it is. But I don't have to service the vehicle there all the time.

And it seems like a nice area to visit.
    It's a great area to visit. I'll give you some great restaurants to go to if you are going to be in Monmouth county. If you ride around Colts Neck, Holmdel or Rumson among other areas you may be tempted to relocate. By the way if you do come down and you're around in early evening on a Saturday try the restaurant Nicholas. It's on Rt. 35 near Catena. From 7 on you have to have a reservation though.

Any Lexus dealer will service the car well. I leased my 95 on Long Island and serviced it at Catena.
  • rennyboschrennybosch Member Posts: 329
    When is the next chapter of the Lexus 91 LS400 climate control / law suit / evidence tampering / test "mule" saga coming out? In particular, what was the conclusion from your analysis of the 91 LS400 you recently bought? Did it shed any light on the case? Or is this now a pending case that you can't talk about?

Just curious (shows we are paying attention :-)