Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    -Open hood in presence of Toyota mechanic.
    -Together, look for the ABS hardware...he/she should know what to look for, even if you don't.

-And/or...have a dealer enter the VIN and see if the original production/sales records are still in the corporate data base. The option code for ABS is one the dealer should know.
  • wardoggiewardoggie Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, for the fast reply! I should've known to ask a mechanic [smacking forehead]. Might call a dealer right now.
  • dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    If it has abs there should be an abs light in the dash that comes on when you first turn the key.
  • 210delray210delray Member Posts: 4,721
    That's what I was going to say. There's definitely an amber warning light that says "ABS," if the car has ABS. It lights up for a few seconds after you turn the ignition switch to "on." Of course, that assumes the light is working; so if you don't see a light, you could always check with a mechanic.
  • wardoggiewardoggie Member Posts: 5
    Thanks, this is what the dealer told me. I guess I don't have ABS. Oh well, I'll just have to improve my braking skills and hope for the best.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    "I'll just have to improve my braking skills and hope for the best."

It's not your braking skills but rather your driving skills that you should work on. ABS may allow you to steer around an obstacle but typically won't allow you to stop much shorter. You are better off just leaving plenty of distance between you and the car in front when the road is slick. Just remember there are millions of cars on the road without ABS and most of them will never be in an accident if driven defensively.
  • moparbadmoparbad Member Posts: 3,870
    Spell it my way and then use Edmund's spell checker.

Stear: to guide.

Spell it your way, the incorrect way? :surprise:

Internet = illiteracy
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There is no requirement, fortunately, that people spell things correctly. The content is what matters.

It's time to let this issue drop.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    His couple of posts in this forum lately about...I'm not sure what he was talking about actually, have left his posts with no credibility. His lack of spelling skills just enforces that perception.
    To the person thinking about the new '06 Camry, over 400,000 people can't be wrong. Be it the Camry or Accord, these segment leaders build outstanding cars with a very high reliability and safety quotent which should bring one many years of safe and enjoyable driving pleasure. From listening to the many positive posts in these forums, that should be all the proof you need. Go buy what you prefer and enjoy the ride!!!
    Don't let anyone in here rain on your parade! Good luck with whatever you decide on.

The Sandman :)
    You do have to wonder about his broad indictment of fwd cars. If anything, they are safer for the average driver looking for a decent family car than the rwd cars of yore.

Now clearly, if the goal is the ultimate in handling/performance (think sports cars and high-end tourers like Mercedes and BMW), then rwd (or awd) is the way to go.
  • wwestwwest Member Posts: 10,706
    When the rental agencies want to rent me a FWD and I have no reason to suspect that I will encounter adverse roadbed conditions then fine.

But in Boston in the wintertime...NOT!
  • gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    Camry 2001 CE Automatic

Since I'm tired of getting oil changes. I started running Mobil 1. I get it done at walmart cost about $33.00. Basically 1 1/2 times the cost of a normal oil change.

I used to run standard oil from 4000-5000 miles. Cost abour $22.00 per change. Sometimes getting confused with the tricky sticker they put on the window. It states replacement at 3000 miles. Tricking me into getting it done earlier then I need to. Meaning 5 oil changes a year.

They state that I can run this mobil 1 oil for up 15,000 miles. So to be conservative I expect to run it from 8000-9000 miles. Less then two changes per year.

By doing so I actually pay less for the Synthetic then I would getting those pain in butt standard changes. I also don't give myself a heart attack when I go over that mileage by mistake. The sync oil should be able to handle it.

The synthetic is also supposed to be a lot better for the car itself. It also basically stops any sludge problem from occurring.

There are issues when using synthetic in older cars. Like gaskets and such that are dried out from standard oil later leaking with sync oil. But I haven't seen any of that. It also a good thing to break in a new engine with standard oil for the first 2 oil changes then switch over. I think I will do that from now on.

Amsoil is also very good. But I have a feeling they aren't charging $33.00 for that stuff installed. They pay way too much marketing costs to sell that stuff at a reasonable price.

I expect to run this Camry to the ground. So giving it a treat that wont hurt the wallet makes me feel better.
  • yooper53yooper53 Member Posts: 286
    been lurking here for a while now. i'd appreciate any thoughts ( informed or otherwise :o) )as to possible pricing incentives on '06s, given "early" release of '07s.
    thanks.
    dennis
  • jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    The '06s are already "incented" - $1000 rebate to consumers, and other incentives to the dealer. For that reason [base automatic LEs are going for under $17k in competitive markets], the prices you can get now on an '06 are as low as they are going to get. By May-June, there aren't going to be enough '06s left to make much of a market.

'07s are already being discounted from MSRP by competitive urban dealers, and that will only get better by early summer. Some folks are already striking deals for $500 over nominal invoice on '07s [go to the 2007 Camry discussion board] from high volume dealers. A common model [LE 4 cyl automatic with minimal options] will be easy to find at these kinds of prices nearly everywhere in the next 90 days.
    I agree.

The local dealer as of last week told me he had 1 2005 Camry left and only 4 2006 models, so if you're going to consider an '06, you had better act fast.

Otherwise, just wait as jrc says for a few months.
  • corkscrewcorkscrew Member Posts: 254
    Ok, here's the test. Take your Michelins with 20k or more on them and make a right hand turn above 30 mph. Now do that again with Yoko's.
    That is why I say "stay away from Michelins" also look at some of these postings by Honda Accord owners.
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    What are horsepower ratings for the 06 Camry SE V6 and XLE V6.
    How much horsepower do those have?
  • master1master1 Member Posts: 340
    Nevermind. I found out the numbers
  • navigator89navigator89 Member Posts: 1,080
    Just got a new light blue 2006 Camry V6 to replace my champagne 2004 Camry V6. I'd been wishing for another car, like an Altima, Sonata or Mazda6, but apparently the company cheaped out on us.

Anyway, I've put about 70km on the car and it seems great. The differences between the 2004 and the 2006 are subtle.
    I now have fog lamps. My 2006 has a weird interior color scheme, the upper part of the dash is beige, the lower part light beige and the center stack and window button panels are all black. Certainly not as cohesive as the 2004.

I'd highly recommend this car to anyone, my 2001 Camry and 2004 Camry have all been trouble free and very reliable. I'm not a huge fan of this car because it is so common and because my car is a stripper, not to mention the fact that I already owned this car. Still, after all these years of ownership I can see why the Camry is a best seller.
  • Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large local newspaper is looking to interview consumers who purchased a Lexus, Toyota or Scion vehicle and what led you to purchase that vehicle. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, April 5, 2006 containing your daytime contact information, along with the make and model your vehicle.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
    Congrats on your new Camry! And blue is my favorite car color.

You'll love it, but I know it doesn't have the status of all the luxury vehicles you see in Kuwait. They must be rolling in our oil money over there!
  • mcgirl0730mcgirl0730 Member Posts: 78
    I have an 04 Camry V6 LE. After I unload my stuff from the trunk, I reach into my pocket for the remote and as soon as I touch it the car locks. Is this normal? It's happened a few times.
    Need more information. However, if you hit the "unlock" button for the doors (and all doors are closed), if you don't actually open one of the doors within 30 seconds, all doors will relock automatically.

I don't know if this is what you're experiencing.
  • seattletwodogsseattletwodogs Member Posts: 15
    It seems to me that replacement of the evaporation canister on my 2001 Camry XLE(V6)at 59,000 miles is unusual and premature.

Do you agree or disagree and do you think I would get any satisfaction from Toyota if I call this to their attention?

Thank you for your feedback.
  • ray_h1ray_h1 Member Posts: 1,134
    "Do you agree or disagree and do you think I would get any satisfaction from Toyota if I call this [Evaporative Emissions Canister/Controls] to their attention?"

The federal emisions warranty is only out to 2 yrs./24,000 miles. California's (one of the strictest states regarding emissions) goes out to 3 yrs./50,000 miles. When, or even if, these things go belly-up is a crapshoot. (I'm still on the original in my '89 Toyota pickup...) Contact Toyota - there may be a hidden warranty if an inordinate number of like units failed in service due to design or manufacturing defect. But if doing that doesn't pan out, just consider yourself the latest victim of the Heisenberg Principle of Uncertainty (more popularly known as Murphy's Law: "If anything can go wrong, it will." ;)).
  • seattletwodogsseattletwodogs Member Posts: 15
    Thanks ray h1 for your feedback. It helped prepare me for Toyota's refusing to pay any portion of the cost.

I now have a 1 yr./12,000 warranty on my new Evaporation Canister. So I guess that means I could be back for another one. Glad your '89 Toyota pickup did better.
  • petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    It occationally happens to me as well. Unlike the unlock or trunk feature on the remote, the lock feature has a knob that sticks out making it very easy to activate. I'll sometimes activate it reaching for change in my pocket or when rubbing grocery bags against it. The tighter the pants, the heavier the item rubbing against it, increases the odds of activating it.
  • katiescaliberkatiescaliber Member Posts: 45
    Hi everyone.

I currenly have a 1996 Camry that I would like to sell. Could you give me your opinions on what a fair asking price would be? I went on kbb.com and did a private party estimate and it gave me $3500.

It has 112,000 miles on it.
    All power
    remote start
    CD player
    cruise control
    It is in immaculate condition inside
    and the outside is in perfect condition.
    It looks brand new, in and out.
    It runs good too.

What would you expect to see this car sell for?

Thank you!!

Katie

:blush:
    You can also Appraise a Used Car here on our site. And you can ask the folks hanging out in our Real-World Trade-In Values discussion. Be sure to include all the necessary information that is listed above the post box.
    Haven't a clue what you can sell it for but I can tell you from personal experience that over 100,000 miles is a psychological barrier for a lot of people, no matter how good a shape the car is in.

If KBB private party is $3500 then a fair asking price is probably $4000 to give you some negotiating room. Good luck.
  • katiescaliberkatiescaliber Member Posts: 45
    Thank you!

:blush:
  • maniksmaniks Member Posts: 1
    I own an 2002 LE 4 cyl Camry. Any comments or suggestions on these would be appreciated:

1. I have 41K miles on my car and want to change my tires. I checked with Costco, their quote for 4 tires is $460. From Sears its for $640. Both are for michelin and sears guy says he gave me the quote for manufacturer recommended specs. Any advice on what kind of tires, make and where to buy them.

2. I feel my car is getting too old, I am hearing more cabin noise. Any sugesstion to reduce cabin noise.

3. when I push the gas, I feel a abrupt or sudden increase in the speed rather than bein an smooth acceleration I had before.

4. During when I am completely stopped, with engine on, i find more wobbling in the car.

Please let me know your suggestion.

thanks
  • jipsterjipster Member Posts: 6,244
    #2 I don't think your car is getting old...just your tires.
    The older, somewhat dry rotted tires I had recently replaced, were a lot noisier than my recently purchased Yokahomas. This was especially true when going over highway tar stripes.

Some tires are quieter than others. So, go to tirerack.com and research tires and reviews to determine a good tire that would fit your needs.
    2020 Honda Accord EX-L, 2011 Hyundai Veracruz, 2010 Mercury Milan Premiere, 2007 Kia Optima
  • camriouscamrious Member Posts: 7
    Anyone know the discounts available for 2006 Camrys, now that the new 2007s are out?

2006 XLE, 4 cyl auto, sunroof, cloth, JBL and steel wheels.

Thanks
  • marc781marc781 Member Posts: 25
    1. Yokos and michelins are good. Cant go wrong but i heard Yokos are better.

2. Unless its wind noise or you had to replace a broken windsheild, maybe its just your perception thats different of the noise.

3, 4 clean your butterfly in the throttle body. It could be sticking a little bit. this will smooth your idle too.
    Remove air filter hose, use carb cleaner and rags/toothbrush to clean BOTH sides of butterfly. You will probably notice an immediate difference, i did.
  • mark101mark101 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought a 2000 Camary, it has 61k on it & overall appears to be in very good condition. I plan on keeping it for a long while. Can anyone suggest what I should do in the way of maintanence?
    thx so much
    It's all covered in the Camry owner's manual for model year 2000. If the original wasn't included with your car, see any Toyota dealership to order one up. You really should not be without the 2000 Toyota Camry owner's manual. Toyota had some engine varnish and sludge issues* from 1996 - 2002 in Camrys equipped with either the I4 or V6 motors. The company had recommended very long oil change intervals, 8,000 miles, or more, I believe I read, during that period, but the oils of the time (at least in the U.S.) were overstressed beyond 5,000 mile service intervals. Consider 5,000 miles the outer limit for a car driven under "normal service" and 3,000 miles if driven under "severe service" protocols as defined in the owner's manual. Also consider having the automatic transmission fluid (if your car has an automatic transaxle) emptied, the internal transmission fluid filter changed, and refilled with fresh fluid. (Common Dexron III, I believe - I don't believe Toyota required the proprietary "T-IV" fluid until model year 2002, nor is "T-IV" backward compatible with automatic transaxles originally spec'd to use Dexron ATF. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.)

*Not all examples had problems. Owners who changed more frequently often had spotless engines to, and well beyond, 150,000 miles. If the previous owner(s) had your car serviced through any Toyota dealership's service department, that information will be on record on Toyota's national database. If you visit any Toyota dealership and request it, I believe they'd be able to provide you with a printout of your car's service history. If the previous owner(s) did their own service, or did so through an independent shop, then there's little way to tell unless you come across receipts.
    You can find the maintenance schedules for all Toyotas on the Toyota website.
  • edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    I am a COSTCO convert for tires. I got 4 Michelin Exalto P2's for 530 and Sears quoted nearly 800. Costco seems to do a good job of mounting. They use nitrogen, they hand torque the wheels and even ask you to come back in 20 miles to get it checked again. I went by Sears and told them about the price differential and asked them what the "we'll match any price" means and they said "er.. well.. most prices". The advertising value of signs like these is that they want you to feel comfortable buying there. But you should always check elsewhere. That was my lesson.
    I, on the other hand, am now a WalMart convert for tires. I got 4 Douglas* "Xtra-Trac" All Season tires for $246.91, installed, including taxes. Included in the price is lifetime (the tires' not mine...) rotations, wheel balancing on demand, and road hazard replacement warranty. I was pleasantly surprised that WalMart hand-torques the attachment nuts. A much quieter and more comfortable ride than the original equipment Michelin MXV4+ "Energy" tires that were OEM on my car. The Michelins were murdered early in their life at less than 20,000 miles - wifey was helping out at a church charity function when some of America's "finest yout's" slashed all four tires' sidewalls as part of their gang initiation - leastways that's what the local constabulary speculated. Premium tires? No - and never again. (I can only hope street justice with a rival gang will prevail without injury or loss of life to any innocents and that any nearby police officers will be answering a priority call at an area Dunkin' Donuts shop.)

*I think "Douglas" tires are made by Goodyear.
  • another_personanother_person Member Posts: 93
    Me on the other hand got a set of 205/55 Goodyear triple treads from discount tires along with a set of 16" wheels, for 1000 with tax and mounting (110 per tire+115 per wheel). They matched tire rack's price and since shipping was about the same as tax, discount was only about 5 dollars over, which is a really good deal because they include lifetime rotate and balance(costco also does this). but tire rack doesn't. And so far with 200 miles and some wet roads, these tires really do live up to the hype. Not high performance, but much better then michelin MXV4's
  • abumere813abumere813 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to purchace a used 2002 Toyota Camry which does not have dvd navigation installed in it. (At the time it was an option, i guess origibnal buyer didnt want it) But i want to know if it is possible for me to install dvd navigation in the car. Maybe the '05 or '06 camry version navigation system in the 2002 toyota camry.... Can i take it to a toyota dealer? is ther any where i can purchase the Camry navigation system and get it installed by other means.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    If I were you I would purchase a stand-alone GPS w/Directions for about $400-$600. Garmin makes a number of them. You could even take it from car to car. My son has one and it is very useful.
    I don't think so. Just get a Garmin unit and you can move it between cars.
  • phil2246phil2246 Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2003 camry. When running the a/c after a while the vents on the driver side start blowing hot air. The vents on the passenger side blow cold air. I noticed that the heater core was hot all the time even during the summer so I disconnected the rubber hoses going through the fire wall to the heater core and put a copper loop in so the hot water would circulate. I thought this would help but it didn't have any effect. Would anyone have an idea of what is going on. Maybe I should take it to the dealer.
  • asi12asi12 Member Posts: 46
    I started to use Syn. Oil for my 05 camry (4 cyl) few months ago. I have noticed that my gas milages have increased about 30 miles with full tank.

I am using the same gas pump, no change in tire pressure, same toyota oil filters, same air filters or no more highway miles etc. Driving habits are the same as well.

Just wondering if someone also has the same experience. If this is true then Syn. Oil pays for itself.
  • wind55wind55 Member Posts: 1
    Hi
    I have a 1996 4 cyl camry. drove it home last night and parked it,this am try to start it all i got was a click,
    Try to jump it with a charger, after cleaning the cables. nothing just a click. anh suggestions?
    ty steve
    You failed to indicate the age of the battery. If it's more than three years old, there's a very good chance of precipitated sulfates short circuiting at least one cell - especially if the electrolyte has been allowed to drop below the top of the plates through evaporation. (Many "maintenance free" batteries can be topped up with distilled water, however the Delco designs cannot. Most owners never bother, anyway.) For all practical purposes, when sulfation occurs, it's battery replacement time. Common battery chargers are not intended to deliver the current necessary to start the engine. There ARE heavy duty fast-chargers that can kick an engine to life, but they're large, on wheels, and typically only used by dealerships and mechanics because of their expense. You may be able to spin your engine to life by jumping from a running car engine with jumper cables. However, if you inadvertently short the cables before they're properly disconnected, you could well be on the hook for a new alternator. Don't ask me how I know...
  • kblakekblake Member Posts: 2
    I have a 1997 Camry LE 4 cyl with a little over 150,000 miles on it. Never had any major trouble besides your normal maintenance until now! Lately the car has been jerking bad but only when the car reaches 50 to 60 miles/hour. Any time before or after that it does not do it. I took it to my Mechanic and he changed all the wires & spark plugs out. It stopped for a couple of days but then started again. I took it back and he told me that it looks like the spark plugs are burning a wierd color and can't figure out why this would happen. Any suggestion would greatly be appreciated.