Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Camry 2006 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I drive a 2000 Max and love it, 48,000 miles with no problems to report. My wife will be driving a 2002 Camry soon only to have a little variety. Maxima is quicker, more rear seat room and over all a drivers car (fun). One thing to keep in mind that the current body style (maxima) will be redeisgned next year for 2003 so the Maxima will look dated soon. New Maxima will increase in overall size and class to compete will the Avalon. If you don't want a car as big as the Avalon then buy this years Maxima, either way fit, finish and reliability are very close between these two great automobiles.
  • Options
    har1bushhar1bush Member Posts: 207
    I don't know where people are getting their info but I do believe that the next Maxima will come out as the '04 model, not '03...
  • Options
    mannie31mannie31 Member Posts: 11
    I was just wondering does the 2002 camry has the autodimming rear view mirror I think a nice feature especially on highway driving.
  • Options
    armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Two previous Company cars were Maximas, a 95 and 98, trade at about 60,000 miles. Neither one ever went to a dealer for anything. In 60, 000 miles the 98 had 5 oil changes (using synthetic) ran great, (CR and I agree, best V6 on the market) just a great car. I also ahve a Camry, sorry but Maxima really is a better car and more reliable IMHO
  • Options
    tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    www.freshalloy.com The info. on the site had been pretty accurate. Check it out.
  • Options
    aimanaiman Member Posts: 61
    My family had a Maxima as a rental car when we were in Chicago a few weeks ago. If the price of the Max and Camry are close, go for the Maxima all the way. Maxima's center console looks high-tech and look much more upscale. I think Maxima V6 is the best Japanese V6 out there. If it means anything to you, Maxima is built in Japan while the Camry is built in the US.

I am a Toyota/Lexus fan, but for the low 20k price range, imo, Maxima is the best out there.
  • Options
    ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    I owned a 93 Maxima SE until last week. At the beginning, I had no problems. But after the 5 or 6 year mark, things started breaking down. First of all was the paint, brakes, struts, window regulator, radio, ac, and a mysterious "clunk" sound first thing in the morning which was never fixed. I sold it and bought the Camry last weekend. My sister has a 92 Maxima and has basically had the same problems I did with the 93. The rest of my family owns a 90 Lexus LS, a 98 Corolla, a 95 Camry and a 97 Lexus ES. No problems. So I thought I'd throw my hat into the Toyota ring. Maybe the earlier Maximas weren't too great but that's why I didn't even consider a Nissan. (The taxi drivers in Japan think the Toyota is the most reliable car, at least that's what my dad tells me they said. Since they drive for a living, I think they would know something about cars.)
  • Options
    jimxojimxo Member Posts: 423
    I would not assume Toyota build's the best car on the planet. Honda, Nissan and BMW are contenders as well.

2000 Maxima has been perfect (48,000). I can say that my parents 95 Avalon has been in shop many times. With 93,000 mile thus far its been a money pit. We have owned Toyota's since 1980 and this last one has been the worst by far. After the warranty expired we have spent $5000.00 in repair's not including W&T. I like Toyota and will buy another, however the V6 models Nissan and Toyota do require more repairs as they age.

My sister's has complained about suspension problems on her 97/98 Camry (52,000).

I think the Maxima (2002) can be had for 2-3% over invoice, better than 7-8% on the Camry.
  • Options
    abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Toyota does build the best car on the planet. I have had Toyotas, Hondas, and Nissans. Toyotas have the least problems. Toyotas seem to hold up even over the very long haul. Honda is next and Nissan is a distant third in my book. I test drove the new Camry and they did it again. I only wish GM could make cars like this.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    will never come close to Toyota in build quality.

They flat out don't aspire to do so.
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    I've owned Toyotas for 20 years now. We also have a Nissan and an Acura in our household. We've spent more money on the Acura and Nissan then on all four Toyotas combined. Guess that's why I would rather sell Toyota, although Nissan and Honda/Acura would be a close second and third.

: )

Mackabee
  • Options
    camryv6camryv6 Member Posts: 42
    Toyota has the best relibility. Then honda. And then nissan 4 OR 5. The Toyota Camry has bin the top seller for couple of years for family cars.
  • Options
    soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    ALso Camry is #1 because it sells more cars to fleet/rental companies ! Except for 99, Accord has been the best selling car to direct consumers in every year from 1990-2000 ! For 2001 it is best selling despite camry's rental sales !
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    Those cars end up in the hands of consumers anyway. They are kept on rental fleets for six months or so then sold as certified vehicles.

: )
    Mackabee
  • Options
    tim_hooligantim_hooligan Member Posts: 143
    maxima has a solid rear axle. don't know why.
    the new maxima is going to be a 2003, according to freshalloy.com

i own a nissan and they are ok...won't strand you, but holy crap...the quality is NOT toyota or honda. lots and lots of annoying things....rough transmission, that CLUNK (famous in nissan). it's not a bad car...but styling is also questionable. "butt" ugly.
    however, if you're looking for fun, the maxima would be the winner.
  • Options
    parnolaparnola Member Posts: 141
    Autodimming mirror is standard on XLE, optional on LE and SE.
  • Options
    coolguyky7coolguyky7 Member Posts: 932
    On www.thehollywoodextra.com ....is shows a 2003 Solara....do you have any knowledge of this upcoming Solara?
  • Options
    ahossaahossa Member Posts: 152
    Does anyone Know where you can find an 02 Camry Se I4 cylinders with automatic Transmission close to NYC? I have seen I4 manual transmission but no auto. Can someone name a Neighboring State where you can find one.
  • Options
    ravvie4meravvie4me Member Posts: 110
    wouldn't that go against Toyota's 5-year redesign cycle (for it's passenger cars, at least)? It did come out in 99, right?

It does look nice, though.

-RAVvie4me
  • Options
    rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    In the market for a 1-2 year old Camry and wanted to share some interesting, but perhaps not surprising results. (I know I should probably look at the NEW camry but I just spend $40K on a new car 6 months ago so I want to find something cheaper!)

Went to the Toyota Used Car Certified site, searched on camry got a listing. Ran 7 VIN numbers against carfax to check the car's pedigree, if you will. Of the 7 searches on carfax:

3 - former rental cars (no surprise I guess since they're popular rental fleet cars)
    1- "clean" - no rental, just a lease.
    3 - "No Hits" - the VIN was not in the database - this was interesting..

NOW - I know this is not anywhere near being statistically signficant.....however....I refuse to buy a rental - they're abused - I know I rent often when travelling on business and I too am guilty of beating these cars - especially if they are brand new!

Most of the cars I'm looking at are $16-17K, I think I'll spend $1K more and get a used Maxima instead...
  • Options
    rental cars are meticulously maintained, so they will probably last long regardless, especially if the car is a Camry, or any Toyota model.

I would stay away from the "no hits" without VINs, they could be stolen cars (Camry is among the most stolen, as well as Accord) with switched VIN's. I would also stay away from Maximas too.

Aside from the TCUV site, you could also try Autotrader.com and select the "find certifed used vehicles only" box when going to search. Most have pictures, unlike the TCUV site, so you can actually see what the car looks like.

And, yes, the best new cars (Toyota) make the best used cars!

-RAVvie4me
  • Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    Ok, I'll be the curious one, why are you considering buying another car when you've just bought a $40k one?
  • Options
    rickpctrickpct Member Posts: 71
    RAV - thx - I guess the rentals you get are in good shape, the ones I drive from Hertz are piece of #$%^. I agree with the no hits - only God knows what the story is with those! Curious - why would you stay away from Maximas?

Canc...that wagon was for my wife and the kids. My current car is a 10 year old volvo wagon - still running with 125K miles but needs about $3K in repairs. Tired of having a RWD car in winter time, plus I have an hour 15 minute commute each way, every day. Car is not comfortable to drive - want something quiet and smooth. thus I considered a used camry.
  • Options
    steveayzsteveayz Member Posts: 28
    I test drove 2002 LE yesterday. No offence but it didn't impress me at all. It didn't come close to 97 Maxima GLE I have (70K worry free). Besides me there were 2 more customers in the show room and I didn't notice a lot of activity there. Salesman told me that they sell 2002 LEs at $500 over invoice. Price is coming down..
  • Options
    rich02rich02 Member Posts: 1
    Hi folks! New on this but enjoying the info
    and comments. Am looking into a V6 Camry SE.
    No ones mentioned anything re expected crash
    test results. 01 Accord slightly topped 01 Camry
    in the NHTSA frontal crash tests. Camry did better
    on the offset tests. Any info/speculations re
    how the 02 Camry will do? Thanks. I really like
    the idea of being able to get a car with VSC, side
    bags and curtains, and navigation system in a
    car in th 25-30K range. And what the heck,maybe
    I'll spring for a moonroof, if the overall prices
    begin to come down in a few months!
  • Options
    I'd say that this Camry is even safer than the previous one. Higher quality materials have been used which would make sense to hold up better in a crash. The head curtain airbags will improve safty along with the VSC which will help reduce risk of wreck in bad weather. I'd say a focus in building this car was to include safety...Toyota knew they'd have to make this car be top value in price, quality and safety to keep it #1.
  • Options
    The reason that I would not consider the Maxima is because there is one in my family, a 1991 model I think, that has had a miriad of electrical problems, transmission troubles, and now is experiencing ongoing suspension problems. Even though it's a relatively old vehicle, it certainly hasn't made a good first impression, and kind of soured me on Nissans. (Maxima was purchased used around 1996 or so, GXE model)

My 1988 Camry I purchased in 1997 with 153.5K miles. The only major service I have had done on it was wheel bearings at 190K miles. It has now 203.2K miles and has had no electrical/auto trans/engine (4-cyl.) troubles. Change oil and put in gas is all that is needed basically, I can't complain. It certainly leaves a good lasting impression about Toyota vehicles with me, which is why I bought a Toyota Highlander recently (still have the Camry, though). I can't see buying any other make of vehicle. I love my 'yotas!

-RAVvie4me
  • Options
    Been doing alot of thinking lately? "Hmmmm?" :-)

Either that, or you're humming a tune you forgot the words to! :-)

-RAVvie4me
  • Options
    dragonfiredragonfire Member Posts: 39
    rich02 -- I definitely think that safety is another important aspect of rating the Camry.

I am planning to buy a car soon and will definitely wait until the safety results come out. I was very pleased to see that the new camry was getting the side curtain airbags.

I wonder who will win... the altima or the camry.. we'll see
  • Options
    junkman2junkman2 Member Posts: 11
    Am I the only one with a silver (lunar mist) 2001 Camry that thinks the color of the rear bumper doesn't match the rest of the car very well? Other than that, it seems like a good car. Would be interested to hear if any other camry owners have this (minor) problem and if they've said anything to their dealer about it. Thanks.
  • Options
    lasher5lasher5 Member Posts: 22
    No, junkman,you are not the only one who has noticed mismatched color on Camry bumpers. This problem goes back to 97. Desert Sand (old cashmere beige) is the biggest offender as is white and lunar mist. My local Toyota dealer says that the only color he has seen that slightly matched was the Catalina blue. The dealer was upset when camrys started rolling in with the mismatch back in 97,anticipating warrenty claims, but few if any buyers noticed it. Most Camry buyers are seasoned citizens with failing eye sight. He said the complaints were nonexistant so toyota told him to tell customers it was caused by UV rays (sunlight).
    My friend at the dealership lent me a new 2002 camry LE for the day last week, desert sand with mismatched bumpers. Nice quiet car. Ford dash layout scheme. 91 Olds dash on the Avalon. Who would guess that Toyota has been hiring designers away from GM.( Why not, several engine components are GM parts anyway.) Better seats than last year. Toyota still bundeling options in extortion packages, ie. keyless entry with bose speakers for $800 plus. Listed separately as an option but can only be had in pkg.#2. For that kind of money you could have an HDTV home theater system.
    To the toyota salesman who said that he has sold as many cars since Sept 11 as last year (37) I hope so. Toyota has introduced the new Camry, the echo, Highlander, Sequoia and the Prius in the last year. So model for model he has sold less.
  • Options
    chevy57chevy57 Member Posts: 4
    My 2001 LE, cashmere beige paint job has several fine cracks, not scratches 4-5" long. Anyone else experiencing this problem.
  • Options
    I don't think that Camry has Bose speakers. It has JBL speakers which are mighty fine...my dad's Solara has the factory 200 watt JBL CD system.
  • Options
    soberssobers Member Posts: 496
    Several posts ago I had posted the same question. I observe EVERY 97 to 2001 camry has this problem(?) in EVERY color. It is not a problem, it is one of the cost saving efforts by Toyota to offset strong yen in 96 trying to break-even!!

My friends didn't notice it while purchase it was only when I asked them about it did they notice & they were upset about it after I asked them ! (Height of ignorance while buying a $20-25,000 car !!

IMO, Although Camry allows you to have luxurious options on lower trims, they charge you arm n leg ! Accord pricing is downright humble in that respect...just get the invoice + dest + dealer profit & you are done.....not with Toyota ! The Toyota salesman wear you down in the negotiation process to get every last penny from every option available.....

Anyone observe how Camry now mimics 98+ Accord interior design ??
  • Options
    canccanc Member Posts: 715
    The middle console does resemble the current Accord design. I haven't test driven the car yet, but I think it looks better than the current Accord. I'm still undecided about the rear though.

Does anyone have any news about the upcoming Accord? Any preview pics anywhere?
  • Options
    pduboispdubois Member Posts: 73
    I test drove both the Lexus ES-300 and the Camry XLE V6 today. I am tall (6'3") and have a long torso, so headroom is always a problem for me with cars with a moonroof.

In the Lexus, even with the seat in lowest position and as much back as possible, I could not find a comfortable position without my hair touching the headliner. With the Camry, I was much more comfortable even though it is still borderline for me. I also sat in the rear and I basically had to bend my head down to fit in the Lexus. Not so in the Camry.

I did not notice much difference in driving either vehicle. The Camry is basically as quiet as the Lexus and the transmission was smooth. Both cars lack a bit of power when you floor it. Of course the center console, dash, steering wheel, climate control etc... of the Lexus was much better and it has HID. But not worth the difference in price IMHO. Unfortunately, the fake wood in the XLE really looks ... fake.

For information to Canadians: the Camry is assembled in the USA for the US market but is assembled in Japan for the Canadian market (I saw the sticker in the door of the car I drove, as I did not really believe the salesperson).

I am leaning toward buying a loaded SE (mainly because I really dislike the fake wood of the XLE and want a black interior). Unfortunately, I have not been able to find one I could test drive yet and I am worried about the "sport tuned" suspension being to stiff for comfort (like the Maxima SE). As anyone driven an SE and compared it to an XLE?

The best price I could negotiate so far is 4.5% below MSRP. Anyone doing better in Vancouver, BC area? Tnx.

Pat.
  • Options
    ral2167ral2167 Member Posts: 791
    here's hoping the car dealers don't play hardball and they allow the NFL to move the super bowl back a week-- they can hold their convention any week they want....am i nuts?
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    There is more to it than that. The NADA has already paid a number of speakers non-refundable fees for that weekend. John Major (former British PM)is one of those and I heard his fee is quite steep and schedule inflexible.

My brother actually came up with a good idea for this. Hold a "final four" type of division final in NO on that weekend and offer all ticket holders tickets to both games. This keeps NO in business and doesn't change too many travel plans. Instead of one super bowl ticket, you get two division final tickets instead. Then, hold the Super Bowl in New York two weeks later. Nice and symbolic and assists the NY economy.

I realize this isn't a sports forum, but I thought I'd throw that one out there. I thought it was a brilliant idea. If the league likes it, give all credit to Scott Clifford.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    You are Steve. Who is Scott? :-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    luckystarluckystar Member Posts: 20
    I bought a 2002 Camry LE V6 last week, but as I am in AB, I am now under "Access Toyota" pricing (which I personally don't like), because I pay the set price everyone else is paying...I wish I could get 4.5% below MSRP! Anyways, you told me a few weeks ago to stay away from the black cars, and for the record, I went with the red one...I wasn't ready to conform and get a silver one. (as if buying a Camry wasn't conformist enough already!) I test drove the SE V6 twice, and found it extremely comfortable and smooth...so I can only imagine that the LE's and XLE's will fare better in terms of smoothness and quietness. I personally like the SE V6 myself, but can't really justify the price different between the LE V6 and SE V6. The options on the SE V6 are really cool, but are just "luxuries" I can live without for now. I love the roominess of the Camry, especially with the manual seat height adjustment (I'm 5'2"), but I don't like the new back window, which seems to have shrunken and decreased my field of vision, and there is a bigger blind spot between the rear passenger windows and the back window. I don't think you can go wrong with the Camry...it's a winner. If you can wait, then just be patient, as with the current economic conditions, prices will likely to be going down and not up. Hope this helps. =)
  • Options
    luckystarluckystar Member Posts: 20
    As I said in the previous post, I bought a 2002 Camry LE V6 (coming in December), but as I was test driving it, I noticed a feature that I disliked. When you shift into "Drive", all the doors automatically lock, which I like, but when you put it into "Park", they all automatically unlocked, which is a potential security concern. So what I wanna know is if there is any way the dealer can disable the "unlock in park" feature and still keep the "lock in drive" feature. As well, any feedback regarding installing an automatic car starter in the Camry would be greatly appreaciated! Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new red Camry! I like the red as well but my wife does not, so I'll have to settle for the silver or dark grey (my son's favorite).

The main reason I would go for an SE (or XLE) is the added security features, not the luxury items that I really don't need (I can't care less about the leather, and I wish I did not have a sunroof and more headroom instead)...

I cvould wait for the price of the Camry to go down. However, my Subaru Outback would go done in price as well and I won't save much!

A friend of mine had a car starter installed (in Quebec) last year in her older Camry at Canadian Tire for about C$300 installed. She did not report having any difficulty getting it. However, she did not install it herself...
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Have you folks had a chance to read Edmunds.com's "First Drive: 2002 Toyota Camry" yet? If not, you can check it out by following the link in the Additional Resources box on the left sidebar of this page.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    I just parked in front of a new Camry at Walmart and gave it the visual once over. All I can say is what a nice car! Eventhough it was in white, the car looked awesome. Having owned a '93 and a '96, both LE's, I like this new generation even better. Looks like a little Avalon from the sides. To bad the wife traded the '96 for an Altima GXE last year, I would've wanted her to get this Camry instead.
  • Options
    cliffy1cliffy1 Member Posts: 3,581
    My brother.
  • Options
    maxamillion1maxamillion1 Member Posts: 1,467
    What is the deal with all these XLEs around the area. For a while, this particular dealership never, I mean NEVER sold XLEs, now they have more XLEs than the do LEs. One really caught my eye though. A XLE in Desert Sand with mud guards and the sunroof visor. That car sure looked nice from the sides. The mudguards help with the sides slab-sidedness. Looked so nice, it almost made me forget about the new Altima. Then I saw one of the road, it was a LE with a spoiler and dealer installed Alloy wheels. It didn't look as good as the XLE I saw earlier.

They are selling like Hotcakes around here.
  • Options
    ficklefickle Member Posts: 98
    I just purchased a 2002 Camry SE V6. Every once in a while, when I turn the car off, there is this loud "thunk" noise. Sounds like something fell on the roof or a seat belt was thrown against the car. Anyone else having this problem or have any ideas what it could be? (It's not the brake because my foot is still on it.) Other than this, I love the car.
  • Options
    3pointstar3pointstar Member Posts: 45
    My friend is interested in the new Camry so we went test driving this weekend. It was my second ride in one and this time I didn't drive so I had the opportunity to look around...do those doors from the inside look like Ford Taurus doors or what?!! YUCK. I've been in an AVIS rental Taurus a couple times and I swear it's got that same plain straight panel styling. Toyota must have hired away some Ford designers. Other than that, it is a roomy, well-built, and quiet riding car.
  • Options
    tn52tn52 Member Posts: 4
    Could someone with a new 2002 Camry V6 give me a quote for the fuel type (printed from the owner manual). Thanks.
  • Options
    Congratulations on your new car. I hope you find the source of that noise quickly... Could it be coming from the exhaust?

Did you compare the SE to the LE or XLE? I am wondering if you can tell me how stiff the SE suspension is compared to the XLE or LE. Do you still have a comfortable ride with the stiffer susprension? I will try one this week-end, but I am curious to get others opinion...

Does the SE come with a flashing security LED with the immobilizer or is it only when you add the security otion?

Tnx

Pat.