Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!

Acura RL

Comments

• 1) What have list members been able to negotiate on 2002 RL's at this point??
    2) I read "developers" experience with a 2001 at Invoice less the $3000 incentive or around 32.5K Is this the experience of others. Am I right to assume that if there is a manufacturer sponsered incentive of $3000 it would definately start the negotiating around 32 or 32.5 for a 2001 without navigation.
    3)Any tips on dealers willing to go at close to invoice on 2002 or at invoice minus 3000 on a 2001?
  • Developer....Would you care to post the dealer and salesperson you negotioated the 32.5K with for a 2001 RL in the Twin Cities area.
  • jwilson1jwilson1 Posts: 956
    1) The 02's seem to be selling for about $40k at the moment. (New model upgrades, etc.) That's not to prevent an individual dealer from going lower than 4% profit, of course. This week, btw, Honda is supposed to be coming out with some new, lower money rates. We'll see.

2) As i understood it, devlopers point was that he'd found a dealer willing to delete most of the $3000 from the TMV of the '01, not the (higher) invoice. Their sales had been soft for the last several months (and inventory was an issue) so to clear out what remained after the money rate reduction earlier this year, some dealers were actually going below their invoice. (devloper was finding some success at starting at that number rather than at invoice and getting the resulting net offer down around $32k. I hope he comes back to let us know how that came out!) Invoice ('01) was $37589 -- the idea of getting under that was, I suppose, so that dealers could clear out the slow stock and turn that capital into CLs and Tls (S's) that would sell at list and cover the loss that way (I'm guessing.) The dealer I'm familiar with still has two (a white and a blue) at the moment but seems to be sitting pretty tight on making around a $1000 on a deal for them. So it depends on the area you're in, and the dealer.

Just a thought: if the '03 comes out with the V8, the current model will take quite a hit in resale value, so if a buyer doesn't plan to hold the car for some years it would probably be a desirable model to lease so you're not exposing yourself to unnecessary depreciation after 3 or 4 years.

Or am I not picking up on the situation right? Let me know.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • dave651dave651 Posts: 7
    I bought the last 01 RL from Buerkle ( they have a black one on hold I think ). White Bear has none left. Bloomington has a couple but knows these are the last and wasn't dealing.

I paid 36200 including all dealer fees so about 35700 before destination. With an invoice of 34019 after their 3K rebate on a model with VERY limited availability in the area I don't think that's unfair. They threw in mudguards too.

The 02's seem to be holding steady at 40+ and I personally didn't see the 10%+ improvement. I fully concede that the 02 is improved but not enough for me to pay the extra. Don't care about the ONStar, didn't think it was any quieter ( how can it be ? ) and while I thought I noticed a slight quickness improvement it may have been because I knew the numbers and was expecting one. Either way the 01 is more than fast enough for me and the price difference sealed the deal.

Let us know if you had any luck.
  • dave651dave651 Posts: 7
    It occurs to me that all three local Acura dealers may very well have demos remaining too, which could very well be going for bargain basement prices.

Personally I would never buy a new car with over 20 miles on it. Those test drives or demo use is the hardest possible usage for a car especially on a still-new engine. Even rental cars are not so abused as demos with everyone trying to see what it will do in one way or another. To me anything much beyond a few set up and delivery miles, and certainly anything in 3 or 4 digits is a used car.

For this reason I never considered demos. Others may very well have other opinions on the desirability of demos and that's just fine, but I left them out of the info above because they never entered my own personal decision.
    Dave, the prices you're finding in the great North are very similar to those in NE. When I was looking at '01s several dealers were willing to go to 36k (transportation included); with the '02s the best I found was 39950 (w/one bozo telling me to drive over and "we'll beat that" but was willing to give out no numbers on the phone. Going below those prices suggests something special going on.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • Made an offer of $37,500 on a 2002 RL last Saturday at a nearby dealership in Northern New Jersey and they countered at $38,950. I decided not to improve my bid and to wait and research more on Edmunds.com to see if a better deal is a short time away. JWILSON1 mentions in the post above that going below $39,950 "...suggests that something special is going on." Is there something special going on?
    That's a great number for a brand new release -- only 1.5% profit! Do RLs typically sell badly in NJ? Why do you think he'd cut so low on a car that can only have been on his lot for a few days? I sure don't know.

Grab it.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • craigsrcraigsr Posts: 1
    I am interested in message 137 by travisgregg relative to his discription of torque shudder in the RL transmission. I have an '01 RL with exactly the same problem. Did you get this problem resolved and if so, what was the resolution? Is any one else familiar with this particular problem and it's solution? Many thanks
  • 1964519645 Posts: 8
    Mikespopworld,

Did this price of $38950 include destination charges of $480. What dealership did you get this price from. Who did you speak with?

Thanks
  • malikjbmalikjb Posts: 10
    Paid $35200 for a 2001 silver color in Houston area, two weeks ago. At that price they were going fast. Only 4 or 5 left at that time with all of the Houston area dealers. Love the car but looks like a gas guzzler, got 18 mph on the first tank(50 percent freeway mileage)and 14.5 mph on the second tank (stop and go traffic, trips of 2 to 3 miles). Will it improve or remain the same. I wish they had provided a bigger gas tank so that I could get about 300 miles per tank. (got 260 and 210 on the last two tanks).
    Is extended warranty a good idea?
  • prophet2prophet2 Posts: 372
    Depends on the terms, length, and price. The plans are far more extensive in what's covered than the ones ten years ago, in line with the technological advances. 7 yr/100K miles/zero deductible for around $900 would be a fair deal, better than $1500+. The "money-back" plans in case covered repairs are less than the premium paid also depend on the cost.

$35,200 for a 2001 is a great deal for an under-rated and under-appreciated car! Your mileage will improve over time. I get almost 19 mpg overall with my '96; 21.5 mpg on my last run.
    is also an important issue re: and extended warranty. Honda has a terrific reputation for reliability with this car so ... at about 20,000 miles I'll decide on a warranty. By then I should know a lot about the car.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • phild_masonphild_mason Posts: 99
    The last couple days the VSA lights have come on in my 2000 RL that has just over 6k miles. I would guess that there is some kind of a problem with the system and I will have to have the dealer check it out.

Has anyone else had this problem? What was the solution?

thanks
  • jtiernanjtiernan Posts: 9
    Any ideas on how to improve gas mileage on 3.5 RL '99. I use premium, but get only 18/19 in town and 23 on highway. I do not drive erratically. Thanks
    Does anyone have the new numbers (apparently announced on Tuesday) for the new money factor for the RL? Apparently it was good news in the form of a substantial drop, but I can't pick up the number just yet ... any info?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • That includes destination,a wood shift knob and a cargo net...
    An excellent price! Where are you located? Did you buy or lease -- if lease, what were the money factors and residual?

Thanks for sharing.

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • tgif888tgif888 Posts: 351
    Go to this link- http://www.eacura.com/default.asp?type=3&bV=0

$499.00 per month/39 months/$1,000.00 down payment. $1,999.00 total due at lease signing (includes security deposit, excludes tax and license).

This is the fine print:

Offer valid through 7/2/2001, only on approved credit by Honda Finance through participating dealers. Honda Finance's standard credit criteria apply. See your Honda dealer for details. Closed-end lease for 2002 RL Special AHFC Lease(Model# KA9652JTW). MSRP $43,630.00 (includes destination). Actual net capital cost $39,265.22. DEALER PARTICIPATION MAY AFFECT ACTUAL PAYMENT. Taxes, license, title, registration, documentation fees, options and insurance extra. Total monthly payments $19,461.00. Option to purchase at lease end $22,251.30. Lessee responsible for maintenance, excessive wear/tear and 15¢/mile over 12,000 miles/year. SEE DEALER FOR DETAILS.

I can't believe my luck! I'm so lucky they had to wait on a delivery for mine -- when it comes in next week, I'll be saving almost $7500 in lease costs!

I'm so glad the car is under appreciated and dissed!
  • Took Delivery on Shoreline Mist Today.
    Very nice color and a real improvement on the gold that, I thought, was rather frumpy. Enjoying the ride?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • GREAT LOOKING CAR. PRICE WAS 39,950, INCLUDING WINDOW NET. NOW I AM SECOND FIDDLE TO A CAR.
  • That was of course a trunk net lol
  • jeff88jeff88 Posts: 94
    19 in the city and 23 on the highway are pretty darn good numbers. Not much room for improvement there. Best highway mileage I've gotten was cruising around 70 mph and it came in at 25.

Mostly see 23 on trips and 21 combined city/highway.
    In the lease board, when a couple of us asked Car_Man about the new lease program for the '02, he suggested that there may be some more "room" in the new cap cost figure. Of course, if that is true, it will depend on how the program is organized.

Does anyone have an avenue to find out how the deal is structured? Dealer cash? How much? Interest rates? Any ideas?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,703
    belaboring a point to death, but something I just read brought it up in my mind...the 2002 Nissan Altima (ALTIMA, mind you) will have a 3.5L V6 with 240 HP; add that to the 260 HP TL-S, the 260 HP Infiniti I35, and any expected increase in the Lexus ES300, and, probably, the GS300...can the Acura RL really hope to compete at 220 HP, when it may be the largest and heaviest car of the bunch???

Bob
    not to pick a nit, marsha7, but it's actually 225hp this year. And of course that doesn't change the fact that you're still right. But to answer your question, just from my pov obviously:

1) numbers are important. Alright: VERY important. But in the final analysis, it's about the car, not a number, unless that number is so terribly important to you your whole experience is polluted when a car doesn't meet that number. But many people will continue to like a fine car such as the RL, and buy it as a result of liking it for ALL of its attributes.

But I know what you mean: some people can find a single number a real factor. The purchase price would be a good example of why a person in the market for a Civic might not look at a car such as the BMW. My wife is obsessed by the room available in the rear seat and, when I was shopping for her car, the Audi A4 (an exceptional auto, most would agree), was ruled out. Your hot button I guess is horsepower.

But my point is that you can give an Altima as much hp as you wish. People who like cars like the RL still won't be interested, not because they're snobs but because the Altima is a different kind of car and the hp still won't change that fact: it's about the car!

2) Honda isn't staying with the 3.5, as you know from your earlier posts. Most knowledgeable people agree that in '03 they'll move to a V8 rwd. Perhaps there'll be an AWD option (I hope so). It would be reasonable to assume it will be quite a bit more expensive. I just hope they don't screw it up.

Meanwhile, I love the car as it is currently configured ... the car, not its numbers necessarily. I drove everything from $30k on up to find what I liked. My three favorites, at the end, were the Jaguar XJ8, the Audi A6 4.2, and the Acura 3.5 RL ('02 version). I've chosen the Acura, and am waiting for it to be delivered, because: the Jag is magnificent but is rwd & I can't use it where I live; the Audi is a beast and, while it is AWD, it is useless where I live -- in NE there is way too much traffic to use more than the bottom end of its wonderful engine and I don't want to pay an additional $8k (vs. the Acura) for power I'll never get to use.

So there y'go ... whaddya think?

Take care.
    Joe W.
  • malikjbmalikjb Posts: 10
    Well said Joe
    When I was buying mine, the power was not a major consideration. I bought it for price, comfort and the styling. I felt it was a much better by at 35K versus ES300 at 32K or an I30 at 28K. It has plenty of power as far as I am concerned. So it all depends on what you are looking for.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,703
    you have every right to pick at nits...I should be corrected at 225 HP...yes, my hot button is horsepower...as an aside, Jaguar and Audi might sell fewer cars if the 2.7T (Audi) and the supercharged 4.0L (I believe it is 4 liters) only put out 127 HP, then all the quality in the cars, the luxury, the handling, etc. would not sell one car...bounce it up to 250, 300 or 370 Hp, suddenly we have something worth buying...while I have commented in the past, does anyone have any REAL idea of what Honda minds are up to???

PS: if I forgot something I posted earlier, it is just my age catching up with me...the mind usually goes first...:):):)

Bob