Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Sienna Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    hogan773hogan773 Member Posts: 255
    I saw some invoices for the AWD model on cars . dot.com and they matched Edmunds (MSRP 31,130 and inv 28,482). Also just doing a Google search came across "lotpro .com" which showed same as Edmunds invoices across the board.

Until proven otherwise, I'm going with the Edmunds as the accurate invoice px.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    I'm sure its a good reference for a "reasonable" internet price but are we taking it a step too far to say that it is by default the lowest price

I agree, in fact we got a Sienna price about $200 lower from 355 DARCARS Toyota and we bought ours there.

However, for other purchases Fitz' price was the lowest, and I'd give them the edge overall for the buying experience (less pressure on add-ons like pre-paid service and extended warranty).

It's a solid reference of about how low you can go.
  • Options
    stoyotastoyota Member Posts: 28
    I made further research and I completely agree with you on “Edmund’s Invoice price is more reliable than others”. You raised very good points and I am going to HOLD my thoughts and will do further negotiation with the dealer.
  • Options
    dandydoniidandydonii Member Posts: 45
    So I have been looking at minivans for a couple of years now, long story....But after initally favoring the Honda, I decided about 3 months ago that absent huge incentives, the Sienna is the much better deal.

The recent gas pedal scare did not scare me, afterall, every manufacturer is due to screw up once in a while. I just figured I might be able to use that to save a couple of hundred bucks. Now, with the Prius breaks, I am starting to have my doubts about Toyota (I have never owned one, but my mom has been generally satisfied with her 99 Camry).

Anyone else having second thoughts about the Sienna after the Prius brake problems?
  • Options
    Thanks hogan773: Your suggestions helped me to do further negotiation. The dealers new offer is 27593 + Tax+ Tag (which is 355 above invoice…I think if I sit with them they can do it at 27244).

Is it a good price, if I get it at invoice $27444 (26444 + 800) + Tax+ Tag ?
  • Options
    I might be able to use that to save a couple of hundred bucks

For now, fitzmall prices are actually higher for 2010 models than they were for 06s and 07s when I was shopping.

So I don't see any price drop, at least not yet. Keep in mind this is one of the few Toyotas a dealer can still sell.

Anyone else having second thoughts about the Sienna after the Prius brake problems?

Nope, no car is perfect, if you spend a lot time searching on the internet you may scare yourself out of buying any car at all! For instance:

http://www.gmproblems.com/brakes.htm

More than half of Olds Aleros had brake problems? I bet the % of Priuses affected are 1/10th as many, if that.
  • Options
    Wait so now you're saying he came to $27,444, or 200 over invoice?

Sounds like a fair price to me. You can send me my commission later for being a buyer's agent :)

Only thing to consider is -- is there a dealer incentive that just came out that we aren't aware of.....ie Toyota corporate is giving dealers an extra [XXX] for any car sold, effectively lowering their cost. Toyota corporate is getting royally pflucked right now so who knows what they're being forced to do to keep dealers from starving to death.

I am pleasantly surprised that your guy moved so much and so quickly. Gives me hope for myself whenever I get into doing the negotiation.......

Nice work, my friend - let us know how you proceed. And everyone else will hopefully read this and man-up so they're aren't a bunch of people paying Sticker or Sticker-plus for these things.....the fewer desperate buyers, the better for everyone!
  • Options
    hitchens97hitchens97 Member Posts: 62
    I'm personally fine for the dealer to get $500 over invoice . I'm not going to worry about the last $100 here or there. What annoys me more is the BS fees, and a crappy experience - "sir, are you really telling me you don't want the undercoating?".

In fact, the last 3 cars I've negotiated have all been remote. The very last one, they drove the car to me, I did a quick test drive, they had all the paper work, and I did it all at home - never left the dealer. Best experience ever.
  • Options
    To be honest this is my first new Van/Car (I always had a used car till now). I am new to this world and trying to make sure I am negotiating very well and paying the right price? You are VERY VERY helpful and I will update you once I purchase the vehicle.

I called couple of dealer for the quote and asked for any incentives...they said NONE....not sure if they have any thing new today.
  • Options
    The things I'm talking about could be hidden incentives....ie incentives between Toyota and the dealer that they wouldnt tell you about. There probably aren't any, but I was only theorizing that Toyota might be helping the dealers somehow. Only reason I wondered was because I was surprised your guy came so close to invoice so quickly.......

Knowledge is power!
  • Options
    btran1btran1 Member Posts: 1
    I got this message from a dealer in Austin Texas. Is this real?

The team at Charles Maund Toyota would like to notify all current Toyota, Lexus, or Scion owners that there is now a $1,000 Owner Loyalty Rebate.

Below are the details.

In addition, Toyota incentives have also been updated to rebates up to $3,000 and rates as low as 0% on select models. Be sure to take advantage of these savings today.

We look forward to doing business with you,

The Team at Charles Maund Toyota
    www.charlesmaundtoyota.com
    (512) 458-2222

Customers must currently own or lease a Toyota / Scion / Lexus Car, Truck, or SUV to qualify for this offer. Trade-in is not required.

Includes: Yaris, Prius, Corolla, Matrix, Camry, Avalon, Venza, Land Cruiser, Rav4, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Sequoia, Highlander Gas Base & LE, Highlander Hybrid, Sienna, Tacoma, and Tundra.

Excludes: Scion & Highlander SE

Compatability: Owner Loyalty is compatible with all other current TMS/GST incentive offers.

Owner Loyalty Rebate expires 3/1/10.
  • Options
    inspectoringinspectoring Member Posts: 102
    Hi guys - so I spoke with Fitzmall - and got the quote for XLE with Nav for 36400 - this is MSRP for 2011 - how can this be? I have quotes at my local dealers that is much less than this.
    Does this sound right? What is the going rate for these cars right now?
  • Options
    Ummm...then I guess you go with one of the other dealers with the lower price......is this another "Fitzmall MUST be the lowest!" confusion? I don't get it. :confuse:
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing the info. I also found similar message at http:// amexnetwork . zag . com. I think I should HOLD for few more days:

Toyota Incentives and Recall

Toyota is offering increased incentives on dozens of models not affected by the current recall. Save hundreds more on top of already low, upfront prices with our Certified Dealers!

These models are unaffected by the recall:
    Yaris
    Prius
    Corolla
    with VINs that begin with "JT"
    Camry
    Camry
    with VINs that begin with "4T1" AND are equipped with Denso accelerator pedals
    Scion
    Venza
    FJ Cruiser
    Highlander
    RAV4
    Land Cruiser
    Sienna
    4Runner
    Tacoma

Click GO to connect with a Certified Dealer today. GO

If you would like additional information on models affected by the
    recall, please visit Toyota.com/recall or call Toyota at 800-331-4331.
  • Options
    nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    If you spoke by phone, did you talk to internet or floor salesperson? They price differently.
  • Options
    SToyota - which city are you in? Just wondering if by chance you're in Chicago - if so I'd be interested in which dealers you're working with
  • Options
    chriscicchriscic Member Posts: 6
    Consumer Reports also has invoice price if you subscribe to the car pricing service (which I do).

Since I'm too lazy to read back over all the prior posts in detail, if someone wants the CR invoice price let me know for what - XLE, LE, what options and I'll post it.
  • Options
    maybe you can just confirm that its the same as Edmunds --

example: 2001 LE FWD 26,444 + 800 dest chg = 27,244 invoice
  • Options
    2011 Sienna LE FWD:
    MRSP = 29,700
    Ttl Dealer Invoice = 27,244
    Dealer holdback = (578)
    CR "Bottom-line" price = 26,666

So looks basically the same. The destination charge isn't called out on CR, but I'm assuming it's already in there (and I vaguely recall reading this somewhere on the site, but not 100% sure).
  • Options
    I'm at Tampa, Florida.
  • Options
    Thanks for the CR invoice price. What is dealers Holdback $578 ? Is it some thing we need to negotiate further (may be difficult)?
  • Options
    http://www.edmunds.com/advice/incentives/holdback/index.html

Excellent description of the whole holdback thing. Basically unlikely you can negotiate into their holdback, but gives you better perspective on what a "fair" profit to the dealer above invoice is (since they are also earning the holdback effectively)
  • Options
    I've always thought about "holdback" as the amount of $ the dealer makes if they sell it to you at invoice. I would think you could negotiate that amount (if not below invoice then at least to or very close to invoice since they're still making the extra holdback).

That seems consistent with the linked to article... the only thing I'm not sure about in the article is that it implies that the salesman would get no commission selling at invoice. I've had salesmen agree to invoice price in the past on new models and I don't think they'd have done that if they were making zippo.
  • Options
    I'm sure every situation is different - sometimes there may be other incentives at play (maybe the salesman gets $1000 extra bonus if he sells 20 cars in a month, and he's at 19 and its the 29th of the month) and sometimes maybe there are corporate to dealer incentives that mean the dealer is in fact making a profit.
  • Options
    zawaprzzawaprz Member Posts: 2
    Ok, I'd like to add some to it as well as I have drove this Sienna 2011 on the highway (alone!!) for test drive... that was XLE with options...

I also drove a Odyssey 2011 aprox. 3 weeks ago as well (model 2010) - I believe Sienna has less wheel / wind noise then Ody, but not too much...

Secondly my disappointment was the level of noise from the engine (talking about toyota), yet when cruising no problem, only when stepping on accelerator. Good breaking response.

More comfortable seat (first & second row) then prior 2004-2010 model... The third row is on contrary very disappointing - simply as it's not from Sienna, but ugly and uncomfortably car... so beware.. the third row as comfort is sucks, sorry.

Now; very good good news! about Audio system... (or for many could be bad) - initially I was very much for 10 speakers JBL.. but guess what... I was lucky enough they had 2 XLE Siennas (2011) with both systems: non-JBL (no GPS), and GPS/wth 10 speakers JBL.. You woud expect premium on 10 speakrs... totally totally weeeeeaaaaaaaaaaak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! comparing to the 6 speaker nonJBL radio.. I have a good ear, go check yoursel... The base is like day and night, and same with Treble... what a reliveve!!! do you know why??? because if you obsessed with superior sound, you may get it waaaaaaaay cheaper... If you don't like to upgrade your GPS each eary for 200 bugs, another relieve.. Not to mentioned that GPS as it is positioned, in the middle of the dash - drivers, beware, it's good location to get into accident!!! - as opposed to front whindshield mounts .. not to mention that there is huge glare so it's a) not easily visible (glare from the right hand side window in the daylight!!), and b) it's too far away anyway to be price for viewing it...

so for us, it's very encouraging news that I can get XLE for 39K or 36K as oppose to 44K limited!!!!!

(and have a better sound system... simply in nonJBL is 'juice'.. and 'crystal'.. as to ... bla bla bla.. I believe Toyota slickly put all 'toys' into touch screen system radio yet cheap skating on performance of radio.. what a joke.. THANK YOU TOYOTA!!! )

So to wrap things up:
    - I'd rather have 1 moonroof (keep in mind, for 8-10 grands less)
    - no Myabach second row seats
    - no electrically folded 3rd row (asking for problems;... electrically == pronned for problems)
    - no HID... this one is a pain... this is so stupid they do not offer HID as option, but happily putting it on package that in 90% is so children like toys...
    - sadly maybe no sonar cruis control (for accident it's minus not to have.. for cruising .. yeah.. don't care , am not 88 years old)

thank you
  • Options
    jaybhaijaybhai Member Posts: 6
    One of my local dealers is telling me his factory invoice is different than what is shown on edmunds. The best price he has given me so far is $1000 below MSRP.

Here is what he told me for a 2011 Sienna FWD Limited with CX (convenience pkg):
    The invoice you find online is not the dealer invoice, dealer invoice also includes TDA (Toyota Dealer Advertising) cost. Dealer invoice on the one I quoted you is $37,226. The price I quoted you is $39,190, that's $1964 over invoice, that's very fair for an brand new model.

-----

I don't know about that being a "fair" price... so trying to go lower. Edmunds quotes $36,548 for invoice... what would be a good price to negotiate for based on others experience?

Anyone in the SF Bay Area have any luck with Toyota dealers?

2 won't go below MSRP, 1 said $50 below MSRP (what!?), and this one was generous with the $1k discount... but I am not going to fall for it.
  • Options
    The wallet, and the power, is yours. That is, if you can wait. You can always throw out a price and tell them to call you when they're ready to rack up a sale. Apparently they're so busy with other sales right now.....it all depends on how desperate you are to get the car today. But for some, the extra money isn't worth it vs getting the car now - they want to make sure they get the car. That is ECON 101 - supply and demand.....
  • Options
    thethingxthethingx Member Posts: 7
    I'm in SoCal so a little different, but try to get quotes on the outskirts of sf area.
    I've been trying around LA and SD area with few dealers willing to go below msrp, but if you go out a bit you get better around 2k-2.5k for certain Limited models.
    Many of these dealers are willing to deliver the car to you too.
  • Options
    hitchens97hitchens97 Member Posts: 62
    Hey Jay - I'm in the bay areas too? I'll check soon. Do any of these actually have one in stock - I want to test drive
  • Options
    None of them have any yet, but it looks like Sunnyvale Toyota is getting a lot (>30) starting at the end of Feb and Piercey Toyota (Milpitas) said they had some coming in this weekend or on Monday. Capitol Toyota said they won't see anything until April. And the rest said "soon", probably in March.

I'm waiting to hear from Melody (San Bruno), Oakland, and Dublin... and will contact a few more this weekend.

Good luck shopping... let us know how things go for you.
  • Options
    Strange that one dealer would get 30 while another has to wait till March or April. I confess I have no idea how those allocations work though.
  • Options
    g68g68 Member Posts: 3
    Just got a message from our dealer - ours is being built next week. Should have it by end of month. Can't wait.
  • Options
    As this is the "Prices Paid Etc" thread, care to share what price you ended up getting from the dealer for an ordered vehicle?
  • Options
    I found that weird too... and I bet all of these dealers are just trying to keep me interested long enough to actually come in to buy when they do arrive.

With the recalls and factory shutdowns, I have no idea when these cars are coming off the line and how the allocation is going to work.

My wife wants a black one and 4 dealers said there was only 1 allocated in the region (whatever that means), so I know someone is lying since all of them said they can get it for me. :-)
  • Options
    dafreak1dafreak1 Member Posts: 61
    My wife and I just drove a 2011 Sienna LE. We/she currently drives a 2004 Sienna XLE Limited. Impressions on the vehicle were ho-hum. Nice acceleration compared to the 04' V6 but same engine since 2007. We both noticed that the front passenger seat was lower then the 2004. No way to adjust it higher either. Did not care for the small rearview camera screen. Not sure that changes with the addition of navigation. It also seemed to sit back into the dash. The car lacked storage in the door armrests compared to the 04'. We liked the console between the driver and passenger seat but we did not like that it was not removable like in ours. Overall it seemed like there were less "compartments/storage" in the front. We both liked the hidden wipers, in front and back. We really liked the second row seats and the span to which they can be moved forward or backward. Also the ease of removing them compare to the 04'. The small portable 8th seat was a nice feature as well and we would certainly utilize it when we would need more rear luggage space, etc. It would never be something we would "buy" so the fact it is included is nice. We camp a lot so it would be great to have on those occasions. The third row was tucked away so we did not get to really use but we did play with them in the showroom model and stowing was much easier then the current model. They looked cheaper though. We really liked the new rear entertainment system and the fact that you could control it from the front seats. They should have made it blu ray though. Overall exterior styling was nice but I really did not feel it was a drastic departure from the previous model. We decided to keep our 04'.
  • Options
    husker92husker92 Member Posts: 44
    Just curious if anyone has purchased a 2010 since all the bad pub? With the recalls and the 2011s coming out, I would think that there should be some good deals. My local dealers are still not getting low enuf for me, but I was curious what everyone else is seeing for a 2010 LE with EVP#2?

In my area, the current incentive is 0% for 36, 48 or 60 months or $1000 cash back. I see where some areas are also offereing a $1000 owner loyalty rebate on top of 0% for 36 months. Wish I could get that deal, I would probably buy.

Thanks
  • Options
    magilladkemagilladke Member Posts: 15
    I was thinking the same thing. We were looking at the 2010 XLE w/#2. Didn't look like the local dealers had much of a selection though. Are all the 2010 models doen being delivered for the eventual 2011s?
  • Options
    nobonobo Member Posts: 305
    Since no more 2010s being made, the inventory gets lower every day. Some buyers for what ever reason will prefer the 2010 over the 2011, so dealer can hold the price for a while. Another supply and demand game.
  • Options
    At the auto show the Toyota stand was very busy (a week ago).

Also, on fitzmall the Sienna prices for 2010s are still higher than what I paid in 2007. Even in 2009 they were lower.
  • Options
    momof5girlsmomof5girls Member Posts: 19
    Just went to look further to decide on a color and why are they so depressing? I didn't see any light colors at all except white. They are really trying to send me to Honda :)
  • Options
    zoemnzoemn Member Posts: 6
    I am in the midwest area. My dealer just emailed me saying there will be another $500 bonus cash for the 2010 Sienna starting Feb 12th.
  • Options
    avis1001avis1001 Member Posts: 3
    I got a price quote of $28000 from a dealer for 2010 Sienna with the following options

overhead display,
    dual power sliding doors,
    alloy wheels,
    homelink transceiver,
    carpet floor mats,
    and cargo net.

This includes the title, tax and all - on road price.
    He said MSRP is $28100 -- so he is giving $100 less than invoice price.
    Is this a better price? Is it good to go with 2010 or 2011 ?
  • Options
    pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Spent some time this weekend test driving an '11 Sienna XLE White with Bisque Interior.

The van is nice, love the back windshield wiper tucked under the rear spoiler. I still do not understand the MAST ANTENNA though, sales guy said better reception, I say what car in this day still uses mast. On the inside, the carpet was cocoa brown a nice touch with the bisque interior and will save from getting dirty.

The 5 mile test loop shared a nice ride. Van is quiet, rides well. The Information display in the center upper dash requires the utmost perfect seating position to be seen and with all there is to display its too darn small, the Nav will be nice.
    The brakes were as I read from professional reviews mushy.
    Hooked up the iPod to the USB.. cool.. BUT the radio buttons are not logical for easy use of the USB interface, infact in this instance without the Nav, I prefer the MP3 jack.. I can navigate my iPod faster (but that is my nitpick).

Biggest drawbacks- Sienna texture on dash is cheap plastic, similar to Venza BUT no padding. The third row seat folding operation is a real knee breaker, impossible to reach the lever to fold up for someone who is short, the prev gen Sienna and Honda Ody still are better.
    The Ody still TRUMPS in cubby storage space!

There are no deals, it's MSRP ! MSRP ! At least for now.

Toyota has finally simplified its option packages (mats are still an option) BUT Toyota MUST compete with Honda Ody on a much broader scale.. with aggressive lease programs. My dealer guys laughed in agreement of me sharing this with them, as many know Odys are all over, The Sienna would be a fine choice.
    If they choose to be less aggressive the Ody even in 3 yr old design is still the better choice for now
  • Options
    kellyb2kellyb2 Member Posts: 7
    After seeing how ugly the 2011 Honda Odyssey is going to be, I think we are going to move ahead with the new Sienna. I want either a black or white xle premium package, but no one around here has one. I've never ordered a vehicle before, but we are considering it now. Should we be able to negotiate the same on an ordered vehicle as one on the lot? Thanks!
  • Options
    2011 Honda Odyssey is out and I like the new design.
  • Options
    hokiehighhokiehigh Member Posts: 16
    I think the concept 2011 Odyssey looks quite nice, with clean/simple lines. I wouldn't mind getting either Odyssey or Sienna, depending on which dealer is more willing to deal.
  • Options
    First time I saw the front, ironically, I thought it resembled the Venza.

That oversized grille and wheels hopefully do not make it in to production.

I see the function in the lightning bolt windows (3rd row has a lower beltline) but it didn't come out pretty. Function over form is OK with me, though.

They still didnt' try to hide the sliding door track seam. :sick:

The MPG sounds great but other than that I prefer the 2011 Sienna in every way. Let's see what the production Ody ends up looking like.
  • Options
    rickp2010rickp2010 Member Posts: 1
    If you're talking to a salesman who says he'll do you a favor by selling it $100 below "invoice price" while MSRP is $28100, it's time to move on and find an honest salesman to deal with.

I've not been able to find dealer invoice costs for 2011 Sienna yet, but based on research for past Toyota purchases (including a 2005 Sienna), MSRP has been 10% above dealer costs. I don't haggle. I usually give them 5% above cost and be prepare to walk away. There's plenty of other dealerships around.

If you research dealer invoice price for other Toyota models, you'll also find the difference between dealer cost and MSRP is still 10%. Based on that, I'd assume his cost for the car you're looking at is $25,550. At 5% profit, I wouldn't pay more than $26827.50.

I could be wrong, but you can always ask to see the dealer's costs and share it with the rest of us.
  • Options
    mojdodyrmojdodyr Member Posts: 23
    Taken 2011 XLE FWD for a test drive today. Drive feels the same as my current 2006 LE. Interior is very dissappointing to me while I love the exterior. Was quoted 2k below MSRP of 33,264$. But would probably wait and see what Odyssey has to offer - or might give it a second chance with Limited.
  • Options
    siennamisiennami Member Posts: 116
    Are you planning to buy a 2011? Just wondering....I'm so used to the 2nd Gen that it's kinda strange to see another coming out and I've had both 1st and 2nd Gens now.