Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Volkswagen Jetta 2005 and earlier

Comments

• fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    What did I say that was so funny?

The character comment?
  • vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Paxil eh? I had a friend whose daughter was on that stuff. She was always happy. I guess you are when you spend most of your waking time high as a Georgia Pine. Anyway...

I thought about more rattles surfacing as well. I still have all this paperwork in the pipline that I sent off though. I have a Lemon Law paper coming from the Attorney General's office, and I am still going to fill it out too.

And if I find one more rattle when I pick the car up (they said today, but it will be tomorrow because I have plans for my birthday tonight), then I will take it back to them, take everything (including tags) out of it, and leave it there. At that point, I would not want it back at all.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    You got "conscience" correct. You misspelled "deceive" though. Remember your "i before e except after c" rule -- unless you're spelling "conscience," LOL ... ah, good ol' English ... where there are more exceptions to the rules than there are rules themselves ...

Don't feel bad ... Einstein got it wrong ... twice ...

Meade
    I have trouble with that "i before e" thing for some reason. My best friend still makes fun of me for how I used to spell "reciept". I just gave up one day and wrote "r-e-c-e-e-t". :)

I fixed the spelling though, thanks. :)
    There are so many exceptions, that old "i before e" rule hardly ever seems to apply.

When it comes to explaining our language, I prefer the adage, "i before e except on every second Wednesday and what the weather's doing."

Meade

P.S. Speaking of which (and this relates to a recent loaner car of yours), do you ever wonder why Mazda persists in misspelling the name of its top-of-the-line model?
    Do you mean the Millenia? I didn't realize it was misspelled. What's the proper spelling for it?
  • alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    fish8- yes

Vocus/Paul- ~*~Happy Birthday*~*
    Thanks! :) With any luck, I will get my car back for my birthday. I won't be able to get it today though, because I have plans with my friend after work. Maybe tomorrow, as a late gift, then. :) We shall see.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    You forget, "and when sounding like "eh" as in neighbo(u)r and weigh".
  • justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    happy birthday old man! one more year closer to getting another car :)
    "Millennia" is the correct spelling of the word.

Meade
    One year closer to getting someone else to pay for the next car, you mean. :) Just kidding.
  • trouphaztrouphaz Member Posts: 25
    Has anyone compared the two? One dealer said that the GLI's will be very hard to come by and really aren't worth the price difference (a few thousand dollars) and the fact that negotiations will be tougher on a hard to find car. He said a GLS w/ 1.8t and sport-luxury package is basically the same thing (minus a 6-sp manual and 20hp). Any thoughts?
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    GLI also has the 200 bhp VR6 if I'm not mistaken
    That's what I meant by minus 20hp. The 1.8t is 180hp (174lbs of torque) and the VR6 is now at 200hp (195lbs of torque).

I don't know the 0-60 or 1/4 mile times for each and I've only tested the GLI so far which felt smooth and moved fast, but didn't feel quick.
    There is not much difference actually. The only difference would be off-the-line, because the turbo takes a second to kick in where the power of the V6 is probably right there.

I have the 1.8T, and there is a split second before full power kicks in from a stop, even when flooring the accelerator.

Also, someone on VWVortex.com had their 1.8T 5-speed dynoed, and it came in at 174.5hp at the wheels. If you know anything about these tests, the car usually dynos at 15% or so less HP than the crank is putting out. So that would mean the 1.8T realistically puts out about 200hp itself.
  • anonymous02anonymous02 Member Posts: 1,538
    You can avoid that and get faster launches by using a two foot technique. Keep the brake planted and give it some gas at the same time to spin up the turbo. You might also be able to do this with the hand brake. It is similar to doing a brake stand, actually it IS like a brake stand.

;-)
    I have heard of that. I never tried accelerating with that technique, but I definitely want to, if I ever get my car back that is.
    If you have a 5 speed manual, can't you do the same thing by pressing the clutch in and revving the engine, not involving the brakes?
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    No. The engine needs to be under load to get full boost. I wouldn't recommend brake-stands either. I am assuming that the tiptronic isn't cheap to replace.
    protegefan, the engine won't build boost if there is no load on it.

The tiptronic is a sturdy piece of equipment, and would be covered by warranty anyhow. What do you think happens if you floor it from a light? Same thing, only the turbo spools up AFTER the light changes. This way, the turbo is already on boost and when it turns green, you let go of the brakes. It is a simple, old trick for turbos.
    Ok, but what if you "ride the clutch" so that there is some load on the engine...bad for the clutch, but you wouldn't be taking off, especially if you had the e-brake on.
    I wouldn't "ride the clutch" if I were you. Either in or out.

I suggest you go to a dirt road or sandy area and practice, then try it in an empty parking lot before doing it on the street with other cars.

Good luck!
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I know the premise behind brake stands and turbos. My neighbor has a modified Grand National that has a lot more lag than your 1.8Ts. The turbo sounds like it was pulled off of a Kenworth. I was lucky enough to ride in it once and the advantages of the brake stand were demonstrated by instantaneous severely violent acceleration. He has DOT slicks on the back because he usually trailors the car to the dragstrip. I would assume that the Grand National has a much sturdier transmission, but brake stands still aren't good for it. If I had a brand new Jetta, I certainly wouldn't be doing brake stands in it.
  • winsanwinsan Member Posts: 36
    sometimes it is necessary to "ride the clutch". I had to do that when I still lived in the city where I was brought up - I sometimes had bad rainy days so that I had to pass flooded street (1 foot depth at least), and I drove that old small mazda 323 hatchback. Riding the clutch prevented the water from blocking the exhaust system. And the clutch was replaced after 7 years anyway.
  • scat_bayouscat_bayou Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at the GLI also and trying to decide if it is worth the extra $$$ over the 1.8T. I did a search on auto trader for ontario canada for all 2001 Jettas. Here is what is listed for sale in Ontario of a total of 66 2001 Jettas.
    2.0L - 12 mostly automatics
    TDI - 29 cars
    1.8T - 5 (3 Manual/2 Autos)
    VR6 - 13 (2 Autos/11 Manuals)
    Not Identified by engine - 7

While I am partial to the GLI, it looks like a disportionate number of VR6 Manuals are for sale early in their life expectancy. Maybe someone also knows the engine/tranny mix sold new to see if this is true. Possibly someone could check a larger data base in the USA and see if the trend in Ontario is the norm.

(Still thinking the GLI is my next car)

Scat
  • vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Blows the doors off a 1.8...Drive and compare my
    friends...Back to Back, and ESP is Standard...
  • c1rybickc1rybick Member Posts: 35
    I dunno, just how bad can those rattles be, vocus? Up until last week I was driving a 1985 Toyota Cressida Station Wagon with over 209,000 miles on it, and that thing rattled, squeaked, oscillated, vibrated, groaned, whined, and once, screamed (oops.....it used to burn a quart of oil a week, and I let it get low enough once that it took 3 quarts to fill it up....out of a 5 qt capacity).

Not only that, but I've had my antenna torn off and I never bothered to reattach it, so I didn't have a radio (which went out intermittantly anyway) to drown out the noises. I just rolled the windows down (no a/c either) and enjoyed life....

However, the replacement car, a 1995 Toyota Camry LE (sluggish 4-cylinder and automatic) ain't the Passat I was hoping for...but my sister's Civic is paid off in January, and mom likes the Camry, so I still have hopes for a Passat (used, mind you)

But of course, I haven't shelled out a penny on the Cressida, unlike your Jetta.
    I am talking about a brand new car. You are talking about a 17 year old car that's paid off. That's the BIG difference.

My friend has a 1994 Cougar that squeaks and rattles like hell when I drive it, but it doesn't bother me nor him. His car is way paid off, so that's all he cares about. And it's not my car, so it doesn't bother me either.
    They called from the dealer the other day and said they found the rattle (they said something about a "seam" in the back) and that the car most likely would be ready yesterday, then if not, then today. They also found out about me talking with thw lawyer, and the paperwork as well. I have heard nothing else though.
  • jsstoverjsstover Member Posts: 40
    The GN more than likely has had major drivetrain modifications done to it from the TC not locking until the 2500 rpm level, to a drive shaft as thick as Emmitt Smith's thighs. It probably also has an after market rear end that is positraction. If the neighbor has DOT slicks and its a trailer queen to shows and drags, then there probably isn't one street legal piece on it. It was built for power braking and probably a very high boost psi turbo.
    Yet another advantage to RWD. More able to take abuse.
    RWD abuse is just as expensive to fix as FWD abuse. my old manual 4 speed OD Volvo 240 had to have the entire rear end rebuilt at 150k miles, thanks to me and my "peel outs"...;) parents were less than thrilled that i abused "vernon" volvo like that.....

i rode in a co-workers 99 Jetta (Gen 4) 2.0 yesterday. 50k miles on it. it was so nice to be in a Jetta that has been USED.. this guy could care less about the car, shifting whenever, and he said no problems at all except for twice he has had a loose muffler. i actually thought the engine sounded kind of cool - it sounded Suburu-esque. i forgot that the 99's had those AWFUL cup holders. my 99 was the same way. even though i don't LOVE my current cupholders, i HATED the old ones.

has anyone purchased that $15 kit from VW that puts cup holders in the arm rest?
    Our 1996 GL has crappy cupholder location also.

They are in the console in front of the shifter, and are OK for a tonic can or small coffee, but that is about it.

Let me know what that adapter kit is all about, and where to get one.

Thanks.
    The adapter kit is available only for 1999.5+ models. Sorry. :(

If it helps any, I don't think the adapter is workable either. It puts the cup holders in the center armrest, taking away both the armrest (when in use) and the extra storage that's in it.
    One of the problems that a lot of people have with the VR6 is that it was very thirsty. I think I was hearing about 20mpg for highway. The new one is rated for the same mileage as the 1.8T though. I think it is 21mpg city and 30mpg highway. All that, a ~25hp boost and a 6-spd? Sounds better than the old ones to me. Both engines still need premium fuel though.
  • blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    Premium fuel is NOT a big deal. Using fuel prices comes down to an excuse as the differences in total cost are relatively low.

Figure 12000 miles annually (the accepted average) divided by 25 mpg = 480 gallons a year. Regular unleaded by me is about $1.65 and premium is $1.85 a gallon.

One year using 87 octane = $792
    One year using 91 octane = $888

That's only $96 a year extra!
    Tell ya what, you send me the $96, and I'll buy that one. Heck, it's only $96.

;-)
    So over the course of a year, spending a measely $2 extra a week is some sort of major issue? If someone is blowing $15 a week on gas, $17 shouldn't be that much more of an issue. If it is, the problem is bigger than the fuel someone's using in a car.

I'll gladly give you $2 more a week if you can get me to and from work more efficiently.
    think of it this way. no mass produced car requires any special gas. then you will be on the right track. yes, $96 a year isn't much. but why give the gas companies that $96 for nothing? until they come out with a gas that can increase my 180hp to 190hp, whats the use?

i know, i know, some people SWEAR by 93 octane. if i noticed a difference, i would use it to. but there is no difference in any of my cars - so why spend the extra $$?
  • AnakinAnakin Member Posts: 410
    Dangit, Edmunds unsubscrbed me from this forum... I just knew something was wrong, cause I hadn't heard you guys yak in a few days. :^(

Stupid edmunds.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Anakin, go to the Town Hall Redesign discussion and report what happened to you. They are trying to fix this elusive problem, and as much input as they can get will help them figure it out.

Start here to see what information they would like from you. Then you can hit the Scroll to End of Discussion link to respond.

Pat
    Sedans Host
    You may not notice difference but the engine does lower its output to compensate for cheap gas.
    I guess that brings us to the age-old question. If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it, does it really fall? :) Just kidding.

I never noticed the difference in power or fuel economy between 87, 89, or 93 octane. And I use about $30 a week in gas, so that extra (about $.30 a gallon here) is evident in my savings a bit.
    People blow 20-25k (some even buy a car like a 330 or 540) on a car and then become cheap about the gas that gives the car all the power they originally bought.
    If you're not willing to put the suggested gas in the car, why bother getting that car? Makes no sense. It's like cooking lobster and then covering it with a flakey butter substitute instead of real butter. Sure it's lobster, but it's not as good as it could be. To each his own...
    Got your car back?

What's the latest in the saga, "Paul Wars ... Return of the Jetta?"

Meade
  • 8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    think of it this way. no mass produced car requires any special gas. then you will be on the right track. yes, $96 a year isn't much. but why give the gas companies that $96 for nothing? until they come out with a gas that can increase my 180hp to 190hp, whats the use?

I can come up with one car....the Mercedes C230 Kompressor.

It's premium only. If in an emergency where premium is not available, you can fill the tank with regular, but for only a half of tank or less, then pump premium ASAP. You can verify that with the C-class coupe owners theads
  • winsanwinsan Member Posts: 36
    gee, blueguy, you have the point!
  • fish8fish8 Member Posts: 2,282
    Well, I called my dealer back this morning to see if they could do anything else for the rattle in dash. They basically told me no. They tried to find the rattle and waere unable. I then asked if I was expected to live with a car that rattles at 1000 miles. They said YES. I then called the dealer I bought the car from and they could not even look at my car until July 10th. Since I need a loaner they said I needed to go to my Sales person to arrange a loaner. So I am waiting for a call back.

It shocks me that I must live with a rattle in a brand new car with only 1000 miles on it.
    Many new car warranties expressly state that rattles, squeaks and other annoyances that are not equipment defects (although YOUR definition of "defects" may differ) are not covered. My Mazda's has something to this effect -- I'd quote it, but it's in the glovebox -- and the car's in a parking deck 11 stories down and a few blocks away. ;-)

Meade