Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• Options
    wpbharrywpbharry Member Posts: 399
    Your car has less miles on it than I'd thought.

Reviewing the list of "fix its", it makes me wonder how much of that is a result of the accident. What side was it hit on? I'm pretty convinced, based on what you've said that it wasn't the rear end.

Here's an idea. Quite a few of your problems are covered by TSBs. The ones I know of are: taillight condensation, door handle paint (just on '97s), HVAC control head, and pass seat shakes (again, just on '97s). If you were to "throw a bone to the dogs" and have some of the more expensive stuff done at the Chevy dealer, they might be able to cut you a break and pick up the tab for the TSB stuff. Bet you'd come out ahead, on balance.

I'm willing to bet that the paint chipping all over the car is a result of it having been repainted. I've certainly never heard of that, other than the '97 door handle issue.
  • Options
    retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    See my post 2530 for my impression of the shift thingy. There are two forward designations D and L, the shift button is located where your thumb would fall on the left side of shift lever. The button doesn't function in D. You must shift to L. This manual shifting system may be ok for playing around, but IMO not for engine braking.
  • Options
    ltay22ltay22 Member Posts: 5
    Does the entire tail light panel light up at night? For example, on the '02-'03 Camry, the whole tail light panel illuminates at night, or with the headlights lights on. The '04 Malibu resembles it somewhat. On the old generation Malibu, only one rectangular block, within the tail light panel, lit up at night...kinda gave the car an odd look at night..

I hope GM used better bulbs in the tail lights this year. The old ones were cheap and blew out too quickly. About 95% of Malibu owners can atest to that.

thanks
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    were you referring to the 03 galant or the new one in relation to the malibu?
  • Options
    It's much better than the new Galant, hands down.

I didn't think a 2004 sedan would or could release without the option of a folding rear seat. That seems as universal as opening the trunk. But I guess Mitsubishi made a believer out of me. Too bad it was in the wrong way.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    I notice on carsdirect.com which has order info now on the 2004 BASE model, it says that after sept 18, 2003, anti lock brakes are not available. However, 4 wheel antilock DISC brakes are.

It seems as though you can even get 4 wheel discs on the base model.

Progress.

BTW, The new Galant is a huge misfire, and this is coming from a Mitsu owner. The exterior looks are ok, but the car is porky, has iron block engines, cheap interiors, and the steering wheel and floor shifter are just as cheesy looking if not more than the Malibu. No flip down seat. WHAT WERE THEY THINKING. If you are a mits lover than just get a loaded leather Diamante VR-X for 22 grand, skip the v6 Galant, which has a 3.8 litre 230hp engine but everything else looks like a misfire.

Yes, the Malibu appears to be a much better effort than the Galant. Hate to see the rebates they will need to move that car with.
  • Options
    maybe with the exception of the ford taurus, the malibu isn't much better than any car in its class.
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    well, the Malibu might finally be better than the Taurus after all these years, but.....only from the value standpoint I know now that Taurus are actually much cheaper than this new Malibu. New Tauri can be had under 14 grand and LTHR/SR versions are not much over 18 grand. Plus the Taurus is a larger car still.

Not to discount the advantages the Malibu has now that its newer, but the incentives will need to kick in much more before the Malibu is as attractive as a deal.
  • Options
    I need some advice...

My dealer is offering 2% below invoice and $1000 off internet gift certificate, on the new Bu, my total "out the door" price is $21,521. That's for a loaded Navy Blue Metallic LS with sunroof, rear spoiler, and 6 disc changer. Now is that a nice price or what? ;-)

The car was going to be for my wife, a first year anniversary gift. She doesn't know I'm getting her a new car, but she has expressed interest in the '04 Malibu and the '03 Altima. I definitely can NOT get a loaded Altima w/same options for $21k, not even with the year-end close out sales.

..the choice seems simple, but reliability is weighing in on the scales, any advice?
  • Options
    retiredguyretiredguy Member Posts: 67
    I feel it is a big risk buying a house or car for a wife. What happens if she doesn't like what you pick. Perhaps the surprise could be a car shopping trip for her to find the car she likes.
  • Options
    ^thanks for responding. She'll love whichever one I get, no question about that. I've asked her about the '04 Bu and the Altima before, she told me which color w/options she could see herself in.
    So I have that down pat. I'm thinking about going with the Bu, much better value so far.
  • Options
    Itay, get the 'Bu, but I hope it has the grey cloth and not the neutral (she might not be able to take the neutral "Uglycloth"). The best price I could find a few months ago on an Altima never got me out of a 2.5 S (and I HATE 4 cylinders) and that was close to $22. Depending on how much she drives, I DO recommend the GM Protection Plan (extended warranty), which shouldn't cost you more than $1,000 (pass on the certificate in exchange, maybe). Funny story: Glad to see that the dealers have come to their senses. The day I test drove an LT (late Sept.), my dealer had both a sticker for $695 (door edge guards and safety pinstriping) AND a sticker for $3,000 (market price adjustment). Good thing my bladder wasn't full, since I laughed so hard. Claimed I was full of it about the $1,000 rebate. The car is still sitting there, but no more have come in yet either.
    Itay, as far as your question re: the rear night lighting. The car had been on the showroom floor and when they drove it out for me it had to pass under an overhang. The exterior lights came on via the sensor. I'm not guaranteeing that I noticed this in exact detail, but I believe only the 2 lower circles were illuminated. Better than my '98, though. Nice pattern, like the Jags, and a lot of others these days.

reg re: disc brakes. Maybe they ARE listening. We need to keep it up!! Also saw your post in GP re the $18995. Same here today.
  • Options
    And I do mean this in a friendly way. You know we value your opinions.

Would you kindly do me and the other members a favor? Just for the fun of it, go test drive an '04 Malibu and bring us back your thoughts. I forget what year your Accord is ('02, correct?), but it'd be worthwhile to get your feedback.

If you want to wait until the dealer has a bigger supply than now, no prob. Thanks.
  • Options
    I'm taking the long weekend off. Need a break. Right now, I'm trying to catch up on posts in several forums, so sorry if I sound scatter-brained.

Bc, I agree 100% with your advice re: keeping a car until it dies, and as you said, up to a point. At Jeremy's stage in life and his circumstances, seeing that his car should last until 100K+ (the rest of the car might not survive, but the engine should), I think we steered him right.

HOWEVER, many, if not most, of the members in here are "car folk" and that makes things complicated. Personally, I have 2 major vices: cars and cigarettes (better than booze and women, I suppose). I've never had a car more than 4 years, until this one, and it's giving me the "heebie-jeebies" (read: bored out of my mind). A certain someone I know trades every year; I'm not THAT bad. Being "Mr. MBA", I do know lots about value for $, etc. and except for cars, lead my life along those lines. Were I not not employed full-time (by choice) right now, I'd surely spring for a new 'Bu right now. But since the extended warranty runs thru late 8/04, and my mileage is low for its age, it makes no sense to trade right now (and it is in pretty good shape, all things considered). But after that, who knows what'll happen. Sure you can understand.
  • Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    I perfectly understand. Some people like cars which simply get them from A to B, while others would rather pay a bit extra and get a car they would be excited to drive every day. To each his own, for sure :-)
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Saw a new Bu today but the dealer was closed so no test yet. Car looks better than pictures no doubt and better than I remember. That said, its definitely a bland look, though no worse than Camcords.

Also saw some Canadian ads this week for the new Bu. Very cleaver with a born in Europe's tight streets theme and then a cut to Canada and a cut of the driver going around a moose.
  • Options
    rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    For those that wonder, here is a picture of the taillights. two distinct bulb/reflector units.

• Options
    Thanks alot. It strongly resembles the Altima in that pic.
  • Options
    gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    <>

The 2004 Grand Marquis/Crown Vic/Town Car sell quite well and are proof that you do NOT even have to offer a pass through, let alone a folding rear seat.

I have never had to use the pass through in my car.
  • Options
    i wouldn't mind doing that, but how do i exactly go about it? i'll be driving on the dealer lot with a 6 month old 03 accord ex v6. i would be lying if i told the salesman i was in the market for a new car. and i'm not comfortable lying and would feel guilty wasting the salesman time.

before settling on my accord i also considered and test drove the mazda 6s and acura tsx. do you really think i'm going to be that impressed with the new malibu?

i'm sure i would like the car much better than the taurus. while my jetta (my previous car) had its ignition coils replaced i drove a rental taurus for a day and found the car to be dreadful.
  • Options
    jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Member Posts: 300
    for the advice. I'm getting new tires on Monday, hopefully to solve my "shaking" problem. When I had my wheel replaced, the dealer said it may also be a tire that is out of round. They are wearing extremely funny too, so I'm gonna have to get an alignment. I'm torn, however, between where to get my tires. At the tirerack I can get Dunlop tires for like 52 bucks, but then there is 50 bucks for shipping and then I have to pay for mounting and balancing. And I'm not sure if the valve stems come along with them. At Discount tires I can get some off brand for 72 bucks which includes valve stems, mounting, balancing, and the dude told me he "may" be able to trade in two of my tires to lower my price. What do you think? Many people said on the tire rack that those Dunlop's don't last too long (30K miles), but that they had good traction, ride, and low noise. Those off brand one's, they guy said, are to last 60K. I'm leaning toward Discount, even if I spend a little more, because it seems like a PITA to get the tires shipped, then take them to get mounted and balanced, rather than just do it all at once. Oh well.
    And about the tranny fluid...god I hate calling it a "tranny"; it's sounds hick (j/p): Our TRANSAXLE takes 8 quarts for a full flush and refill. That got a little expensive this evening when I went to AutoZone and picked that, my oil, and filter up: 8 quarts of Maxlife DEXRON III, 5 quarts of Durablend 5W30, 1 Fram oil filter, and 1 bottle of SynPower Super Concentrated Fuel injector cleaner cost me almost 50 bucks. I ABOUT DIED!!!!

My dad always told me, "Women or cars, your gonna have problems and spend a lot of money". - No offense to any women reading or posting on this board :)

Jeremy
  • Options
    upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    I would agree about basic Taurus, it is plain boring. But Sable I have with Duratec and all premium options is a different story, believe me.

BTW I drove Accord and Malibu side by side on GM event. Accord was 4 cylinder though. Interior is better executed, but engine, no surprise here, is whining 4 cylinder, no torque. On the other side when Malibu is looking a little bland, Accord is outright ugly, sorry. They should better make it boring like before.

But we will wait for comparos to see did GM really catch up this time. In Europe as I heard Vectra didn't catch up with Mondeo and even dated Passat.
  • Options
    (First of all Venus, please be quiet about your Cubbies. They will win this afternoon, but not at home. Minor redemption.)

Jeremy, tires: Had to replace the dreadful orig Firestone Affinitys last fall due to sidewall cracking on all 4. Best match I found without staying with Firestone/Bridgestone (no thank you) was Goodyear Eagle GT IIs. Don't remember the price, since I needed a 4-wheel alignment at the time. I think the whole bill came to $600ish, including the alignment and tax. Got them locally. I love 'em.

Venus, test drive: Forgot that you had an '03. Short of telling a dealer that you're shopping for a surprise gift for a spouse, that IS a problem. But, remember, w/o a test drive, it will have a reflection on credibility a bit. Also, I highly doubt you've had none of the problems whatsoever bandied about in the Accord boards. Do what you think is best. Obviously I have no ulterior motives.

rwisem: Quick on the draw once again. What'd we do without you? Glad you'll be around, for hopefully, quite a while. I WAS wrong, obviously. Looks cool at night. Take THAT Accord. (Itay, the Altima only has one that lights up at night on each side, and that I know for sure).

dindak: FINALLY. Thought you'd left us in frustration. Can't wait for the comments. No ads down here yet, but GM now seems committed to an official '04 (all models) kick-off the week of the 20th. Bets on the ad running during Survivor?
  • Options
    rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    I don't understand. Your shopping list of cars and your comments indicate that you believe Asian cars to be suberbly engineered, crafted and just the opposite of crude domestic cars. You certainly are entitled to your opinion, although as past owner of most Asian brands as well as domestics and sampler of new models (yes I waste the salesman's time) I don't agree. So why are you spending so much time on the Malibu board? Honda doesn't need your evangelism - they're doing quite well, thank you. I would hope it is not because you think we domestic drivers are totally ignorant about fine autos and you must point this out to us. Harry is right - drive a Malibu and tell us what you don't like, otherwise we will have to discount your comments as being over the top subjective and based on heresay.
  • Options
    newhydebobnewhydebob Member Posts: 3
    Hi all,
    I recently acquired a 2004 Malibu as my new company car, replacing a 2000 Ford Taurus with the Duratech.
    The new Malibu is a base model with the 1SF equipment group, available to fleets only. This package adds the V-6, 16inch wheels, cruise, ABS/Traction, custom cloth, and interestingly, 4 wheel discs. With this group, it is equipped like the LS.

I must say, the car is superb, with great low end torque, compliant ride and agile handling. The car never rattles, no matter the road surface. The power is available at a useful RPM range, with GM's signature 4 speed automatic, being well matched to the smooth running V-6.
      The appearance is conservative but classy,with nice styling lines.
     I am 6 foot one and have room to spare in the well designed interior.

I had the Taurus for 4 years and really liked the car, but the 2004 Chevy Malibu is better. It rides and handles better, has better power, is quieter and has a more composed feel.

I drive the car in the New York City metro area, and most other drivers have not yet seen the 2004 Malibu. They must wonder what kind of car it is, someone even mentioned that it looks like a larger BMW 330 from the side.

I have the car for only a week, but I would say this is the best overall car I have ever driven.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome, newhydebob!
  • Options
    gbriankgbriank Member Posts: 220
    Are you looking for an all-season performance tire or a touring tire?

I have owned Dunlop Sport SP2 and Continental ContiExtremeSports. Both are great tires, the Continentals shine a bit better and are not as noisy.

Best touring tire: Bridgestone Turanzas.

I have driven the 'Bu and commented to the dealer that the tires do suck. Too high of a sidewall and their soft. If you are able to, do a plus zero. Go from 215/60R16 to 205/55R16. Narrower sidewall, wider footprint without altering the speedometer.

Personally, I would go with the Conti's. You will retain the all-season capabilities while having a little more performance. 205/55R16's are running $75/tire on TireRack. I believe you can order them through Discount Tire for $96 per tire, but that includes the road hazard, mount, stems and balance.
  • Options
    That members who own Camcords and other Japanese competitors are casting a wary eye towards the new Bu, not because they want a new Bu, but because they know what's coming around the bend. The Maxx. And, like C&D said, that WILL get a LOT of attention.

Hope revka's battening down the hatches over in the Maxx discussion!
  • Options
    wpbharry: i'm not a cubs fans but unfortunately a brewer fan. it would be nice if the brewers could somehow become competitive because quite a rivary could develop bewteen the two teams. go dolphins though!

rwisem: lets don't forget i'm quite fond of german cars too. but i'm interested in all cars in my means except for trucks, minivans and suvs.

i crossed off the malibu as a future potential car based upon my visual inspection of the car. i just couldn't get by the exterior mirrors and overall interior decor. how the car drove would be irrevelant to me (it would be though if the car passed step 1).

but driving a GM car is not foreign to me. i've spent lots of time driving my father's buick regal. and guess what, it does comes across as crude to me.

there was much fanfare from the GM brass about how this new car would be competitive with its japanese rivals. the implication from this hype is that the old malibu wasn't up to one of those superbly engineered, crafted japanese cars. one of the new malibu's objectives i believe was to get some sales from people like me. so my opinion has some revelance on the malibu's goals.

no bones about it, i do think the top japanese cars are superbly engineered, crafted cars. as you know i can back my opinion with numerous media sources. but the marketplace speaks volumes here with the top japanese cars commanding higher resale values and actual purchase prices.

my next hope for a domestic car meeting my standards will probably the ford futura.

i do feel that cadillac is making a positive presence with some of their models. i'm not quite sure if i like the looks of the CTS but it makes a presence when i see one on the road and has a look of high quality.
  • Options
    (halftime break, so far, so good, barely. Guess no one wants to talk today.)

In defense of the Malibu, I do have to say this; much like Road&Track has a Ferrari/Porsche fetish, C&D has a Honda fetish. In that light, the review of the Bu was actually quite positive.

To the best of my knowledge, Motor Trend has no particular fetishes. Assume there'll be a full road test in their 12/03 issue, which (ahem), some of you will be receiving next week. Let's see what they say. AND they also need to be careful, since when you factor in the all-important "Market Significance" criteria, nothing touches the Maxx for Car of the Year and they can't exactly slam the Bu one month and then place it on a pedestal the next. FYI: the award will be presented during the Las Vegas Auto Show, which runs from 11/28-30 (so your 1/04 issues will be a bit late). Since it's during T-Giving weekend, maybe we can figure out how to get a feed online into it via the MT website.

If anyone saw it, yesterday on MotorWeek (PBS), the bit on the Bu was only a preview and they spent 3/4 of the time on the Maxx. No road test. If you didn't, not to worry. Full road test will follow in a few weeks, I'm sure.
  • Options
    do you have some inside information from motor trend? you seem so sure about the malibu winning their award.

and why can't the dolphins play like this at the end of the season?
  • Options
    avemanaveman Member Posts: 122
    I thought the short Road and track first drive report was very positive.The put ride and handling at or a step above class standards. They said the V6 matched the class standard for power delivery and smoothness. They did make the comment about some plastic parts not feeling as good as best in class.I think the positive Malibu reivews will get people to check out the car and hopefully spur good sales.Regarding black mirrors, I don't know what color the mirror housing is fabricated in but if it is black then I would rather it stay black.I agree body color looks better often, but there is nothing worst in the long run than paint coming of a mirror. One thing about spoilers, I don't like them anyway, but I do notice older cars with spoilers where the paint is wearing off ,while the surrounding area has sound paint. For those who don't keep a car long that should not be an issue.
  • Options
    (Note: I'll be posting something very interesting for you in the "vs." forum later, but the grill is nearly ready. Not right now.

I agree about the 'Fins. Whew, though.

Motor Trend: Take a look at their New Car Guide(10/03 issue, if you still have it). What else is there with the Maxx's market impact? Everything else (like, say, Prius, XLR, even TL) isn't even close in terms of volume. Prius will get it next go-round (model re-do) I bet.

I'll be buying the 11/03 Road & Track and Automobile late this week; haven't seen either yet. Glad R&T has something for a change.
  • Options
    ronbo10ronbo10 Member Posts: 45
    I'm kind of thinking out loud here (so to speak) as I try to assimilate what I've recently read or heard on TV regarding GM's power train r and d efforts. Many of you have heard of "displacement on demand" by now (referred to in this forum frequently as simply DOD). Here's a an article that does a pretty good job of explaining just what it is and does: http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/jk/020710.htm It sounds similar to the technology Honda/Acura uses in their V-TEC series of engines, but applied in a different manner (i.e. what the solenoid does- causing a set of valves to be non-functioning vice causing a third cam to be the functioning cam). In real numbers, this DOD technology should be good for about an 8-10 percent increase in fuel economy, with no downside. In the case of a '04 Malibu, it would figure out to an extra 3 or so miles per gallon at cruise. I suspect benefits will be minimal during stop and go driving (under a load, such as when accelerating or when climbing a hill, all cylinders will be functioning. Only during steady state cruise will the benefits be realized). Unfortunately, DOD sounds as if it won't be incorporated into the Malibu line for about 2 years. See the following article regarding GM's timetable: http://www.prdomain.com/companies/g/gm/news_releases/200305may/pr- _gm_nr_20030508.htm . (If this link doesn't work, try right clicking, copying the link, and pasting it to the address bar).Pushrod engines sound to be the best candidates, at least initially, as the number of valves subject to DOD deactivation will be fewer, and thus less complex. It appears that GM does intend to incorporate this technology in virtually all their power plants eventually.

Another related development is GM's overhead valve (i.e. non-overhead cam) 3 valve technology. Here's a nice pdf file GM puts out, with pretty pictures and everything: http://media.gm.com/division/2004_prodinfo/tech_displays/powertra- in/OHV_3valve.pdf They spell out the design objectives pretty clearly, and it sounds very intriguing. Apparently they intend to dovetail this technology in with DOD, which should make for relatively inexpensive to manufacture, high specific horsepower, good fuel economy engine. I used to be of the camp that if it isn't overhead cam, it's old tech and I'm not interested. I've come to realize that a well done OHV engine can be just as good as an OHC. In fact, my motorcycle, which is a Moto Guzzi V11 Sport, uses a pushrod engine, and no, it won't beat a Ducati 999, but it is a very satisfying bike to ride. The engine is quite flexible, and willing to rev right past its 8000 rpm redline, were it not for the rev limiter. It is a twin that, if it were trebled to a V-6, would have a displacement of about 3.3 liters. Acura's 3.2 V-6's don't rev to 8K! So pushrods per se aren't necessarily THE limiting factor in setting engine redlines, though obviously the lighter weight the valve train, the higher rpm capability the engine will have, other factors being equal and not limiting. In any case, I've heard that the next generation Corvette will have OHV 3-valve technology, and will (at least potentially) be able to rev to 8K (who knows what will be the actual redline on the production car). I'm sure the GM power train engineers are once again enjoying life, with some gratifying work they can really sink their teeth into. I'll be watching in earnest.
  • Options
    upsetter1upsetter1 Member Posts: 205
    I tend to agree with Venus on some points. Interior design and quality were always keeping me away from GM cars. I mean it is a problem with American cars in general and especially worst is GM. If you don't enjoy sitting in the car it is useless to go further to test drive. I don't think that Malibu interior can beat Accord or Camry. Yeah it can compete with Mitsu or may be Mazda though, but thats all. From what I heard Ford's new models going to beat GM on this. At least Ford says the interior quality is a priority and they are trying to mimic VW what is not a bad thing.

Still the Malibu interior quality and craftsmanship is a leap compared to Grand Prix, Impala or even GrandAm/Alero. So GM is moving in the right direction.
  • Options
    The balanced approach should be used when talking car interiors.GM has been getting a message for some time about interior quality. They claimed to have put good work into the Malibu interior,and some folks say the interior layout is nice and modern.The feel and texture of switchs is a complaint in many brands of cars, including Japanese brands.When GM is trying to turn a corner on quality, I think people ought to give them an honest chance to do so.Let people go and get in a Malibu and decide for themselves how good the interior is.The practice of GM bashing is so common, that if consumers don't decide certain subjective issues and compare to the competition for themselves they could get a very false impression of how the current GM cars mesure up.I have recently heard of negative comments regarding interior trim on Honda Civic,Mitsubishi Galant, Nissan 350z and others.I truely believe they could be a cheap switch and part trend in cars. I don't belive for a minute that this is just a GM or american thing.
  • Options
    orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    The overuse of the same weak shade of grey in the interior of the new Malibu is a big turn off to an otherwise nice interior. It would be a lot nicer with richer greys and more contrast. GM really needs to get a clue and put some real artists in charge.
    I sat in the new Malibu recently and was very impressed even though I don't like the weak interior and ugly side mirrors (seems to be a GM epidemic lately). I see no reason anyone would buy an Impala after checking out the Bu. The Impala's rear seat is too soft and too low. The Bu has a comfortable high, firm rear seat and the interior seems too be almost as big as the Impala's. The Bu also has foldaway side mirrors which the Impala does not. And the Bu also has a fold flat front passenger seat!
  • Options
    Ya, I have not seen any U.S. advertising yet which is odd. I've only seen the CDN ad a couple of times.

Will try and do a test in the coming weeks.
  • Options
    it's a two way street. there's also consumers who'll decide to get a GM car without checking out its competition?
  • Options
    jtrujillo86jtrujillo86 Member Posts: 300
    Ummm...I think I have another problem. A couple of weeks ago, I took my car to the dealership because of a leak down the side of the block. She (my service advisor) said that the cracked CV boot was slinging oil up onto the block ("yeah right" is what I thought, at the time, but whatever). Well I had someone else look at it and they say it's the head gasket. At work I was talking to a lady with a 2000 Bu with 80K and she just had her head gasket replaced. Is this common? Has anyone else had this trouble or any other gasket trouble on the engine EXCEPT for the lower intake manifold gasket?

About my tires: My dad works for the city and he gets a discount on tires. I can get the same exact ones I have on my car now for the low, low, discounted price of 32 bucks a tire!!! I was excited. They are Fulda Assuro tires. The ones I have now are awesome in the snow and everything else is fine, except for my alignment jacked up the wear of the tires (darn!). Whacha think?

Spark plugs: I got a good deal on Bosch plugs a couple of months back (read: almost a year), and instead of them just sitting in the trunk of my car, I figured maybe my dad and I could change them. Well that would have been all fine and dandy if I could have found the flippin' things. The front three are no biggie, but how about the ones on the opposite side? I couldn't even see them. The only thing I found was the first oxygen sensor. Help a moron out here guys. Is it worth me doing myself or just having a shop do?

Jeremy
  • Options
    breetai52breetai52 Member Posts: 91
    DOD should help in the city. When idling at stop lights the engine should only be firing on 4 cylinders cutting fuel consumption.
  • Options
    I have heard about head gaskets going on some 3.1/3.4s. That's all I can say.

As far as the tires, go with the cheapies, only because you have so much else to do right now.

I can't help with the spark plug question.

I am also concerned about the cracked oil pan. Aren't you losing oil? Would seem to me that'd be kind of urgent.

Maybe someone else out there will be kind enough to chime in with some good advice.
  • Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Thanks for the links. There was recently some talk here about hybrids beating out the Malibu. A Malibu with DOD will probably get the same mileage as the hybrid with a lot less redundant features.
  • Options
    corsicachevycorsicachevy Member Posts: 316
    Even with DOD a Malibu would not get the same mileage as a hybrid. Doesn't GM expect DOD to add about 3-4 mpg to a vehicle? Would that put the Malibu in hybrid territory?
  • Options
    Venus, you make a good point. I just think the negative wave associated with GM might skew peoples thinking sometimes. I have a soft spot for GM, because thats all I rode in growing up.But, I have never bought a GM car.I don't like everything they do. When I go to a Mitsubishi site and see a 5year 60,000 mile powertain warranty that GM doesn,t have, thats the kind of factor that might sway me.
  • Options
    breetai52breetai52 Member Posts: 91
    I doubt that DOD will gave the same % improvement in mileage as a hybrid, but keep in mind that these things aren't necessarily mutually exclusive. Barring any size issues (fitting all this stuff under the hood) a manufacturer should be able to combine both DOD and a hybrid system to yield excellent mileage with outstanding performance. But expect to pay alot more than you'd save in gasoline.
  • Options
    Decent review. I have not seen 1 bad one yet. Boads well for the car's launch. A CR recommend rating would go a long way for momentum if quality holds up.
  • Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    Nevertheless, the new 'Bu is already at 32 mpgs. Add 4 more to that, and it is at 36.

As the DOD uses only one engine, it more than likely will have fewer parts than the hybrid. Meaning less raw resources and less energy used to make and maintain the Malibu.
  • Options
    (last day of peace & quiet. Back to reality tomorrow.)

dindak, CR can't award a "recommended" rating until it has at least a year's worth of info in it's database. Even if it (hopefully) rates it highly, it will still basically say "Too New To Rate" initially.

Nominations for the North American Int'l Auto Show's "North American Car of the Year" were announced today, and surprise, surprise, the Malibu is a nomination. (ICVCI, are you starting to shake?) That award is given out during the show's run in Jan. I'll take bets on MT's Car of the Year, but who knows about the others (including Automobile's "Automobile of the Year").
This discussion has been closed.