Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2000-2011 Chevrolet Malibu

Comments

• Options
    logic1logic1 Member Posts: 2,433
    The Dolphins looked to be doing the Bears a favor when you took our losing coach.

Now he seems to be doing much better while our new coach is completely lost in the woods.

Any Navy on Black Malibu's you see in Chicago will be purely coincidental.
  • Options
    wpbharrywpbharry Member Posts: 399
    (good one logic, 'cept you can only get neutral (maybe gray too) with Navy; too bad)

Before I head back out for the day, just wanted to let you know that I haven't forgotten to resolve our STILL unresolved question about the "thingys" on the roof. The one at my dealer has XM but not OnStar (a bit strange), but still I'll be able to figure out what does what.

Here goes.
  • Options
    lostjrlostjr Member Posts: 26
    >>>>If there is ANY lingering doubt that manufacturer reps don't "lurk" in these discussions, you need to check out recent posts over in the "Maxx Comparisons" discussion.<<<

OK, here is my message to anyone in the industry who wants to listen. 2/3 of Americans are overweight. I am one of them (42" waist and broad shoulders from lifting iron). Not proud of that fact and I am trying to do something about it. Meanwhile I, nor I suspect anyone else in my situation, needs seat side bolsters that jab them in the sides. The new 'bu has small bolsters, but they hit me in the sides. I was ready to trade in my Matrix (even worse seats) on a MAXX until sat in the LS.

On the same subject, my father has a 'bu "classic". The rear seats have vestigial head rests that jab me painfully at the base of the neck. I am only 5'6"! What were the designers thinking?
  • Options
    icvciicvci Member Posts: 1,031
    Then combine it with an advertising spin that invites comparisons to the top of the Focus, Civic, Corolla and (bottom of the) Jetta range. Here's where I think Chevy could hold on to (and expand) their mid-size base vs. Camry/Taurus etc...while making the Malibu appealing to import buyers.

I agree 100%. If you want to beat the guys at the top you have to build something substantially better. The Boo is as good as the Camry and Accord in some areas but, from what I've seen, not better. However, it would kill the Focus, Civic and Corolla. Market it against those guys and people will start noticing that it can also compete pretty well against the mid-sized boys.

Just a thought.
  • Options
    What a fun afternoon I've had! I knew something strange was about to happen because once I finished work matters, on my way to the dealer, what cuts me off but a new Chevy Classic rental (which I hadn't seen yet)? After my heart skipped a beat, I couldn't help but chuckle. The poor thing is just too funny. The Classic badging is too ugly for words.

And then, about a mile from the dealership, I linked up with an '03 Accord EX V-6 (took turns following each other), so the Accord was firmly planted in my mind when I arrived at the dealer.

When I pulled into the parking lot, what did my eyes behold? The Sales Manager (my buddy) getting ready to back the new 'Bu back into the showroom as it'd been out on a test drive. I told him to stop right there. So, I've driven it, even on I-95 (a major highway for those of you unfamiliar with the East Coast). The Sales Mgr. was doing cartwheels because his friend (Sales Mgr. at the local Caddy dealer) had just come over with their first XLR for the Chevy Sales Mgr. to go on a test drive (no, I didn't get the chance to drive that). So, needless to say the Chevy Sales Mgr. was in a VERY good mood.

I have LOTS to report, but have to tend to some domestic matters for a few hours.

Bottom line from this scribe: Two thumbs up.

Much more later.
  • Options
    Just got inundated with a truckload of mail for my sister, some of it urgent (she's on missionary duty in Africa for a few months), and I'll likely not even start the essay until a few hours from now. Better plan on tomorrow. Least I'm honest and fair....
  • Options
    regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    note that the Epica spots a full litre of displacement to the Malibu v6. It has a higher output/litre and is a naturally smoother configuration of cylinders and valvetrain. However, it is a fair amount smaller. About 29% smaller. In terms of weight and complexity I think I could even get you to consider the notion that an in-line 6 with DOHC might be just as simple or even simpler than a v6 configuration of any valvetrain.

I certainly would have no issues with any mfr. offering a good OHC 3.5 litre straight six and FWD.

I will be interested to see 0-60 and 1/4 miles times of the Epica/Verona/Magnus/Isuzu/Saab/Subaru/whatver else GM may try to sell this car as vs. the Malibu.
  • Options
    Suzuki in the US. Chevy and Suzuki in Canada. Daewoo or Chevy just about everywhere else.

Don't know about 1/4 mile. I will say right now the 'bu will no doubt beat the car in just about every other category. This is an older design intentionally meant to sell at bargain levels (or, in the case of most Daewoo markets -- less than European and NA affluent level markets). I doubt Suzuki will even try to bring it to Japan.
  • Options
    Here are a few tidbits to chew on this evening (you'll see this all again in the full reporter post; sorry 'bout that).

Front end (granted the one I drove was in silver, which I might really consider) was HANDSOME. No problem. Nice job, Chevy. It might be scary in other colors and at certain angles, but not in this one. MUCH more attractive than Camcord.

Seat issue. No prob with legroom. Those adjustable pedals solved all of my gripes about Chevy legroom (thank you GM for listening for once). Love the suede (and read all of the instructions about care. Doggie proof. Now, the stock market needs to go up; knock off dubya, please; LT is a near certainty. Maxx LT, heaven help me). I'm 6'2", 220 (yes, could stand to lose 20-25 lbs, courtesy of my 2nd hobby, cooking), but found the seat to be perfect.

The 'thingy" on the roof issue is exactly as I'd suspected. The "thing" just above the windshield is the XM antenna. OnStar transceiver, as best they know, is in the windshield. Don't hold me to this one, since this car didn't have it.

Test drive had me a bit in the middle. Clearly revealed to me that my car is in EXCELLENT shape, and I really didn't see all that much difference (na,na,na,na,na,na, all of you "classic" anti-advocates). Engine was green, only 19 miles, but mine is a lot more powerful (and blows 'em all away from the lights, and no, I don't have a killer right foot). You can hurl now. I think my car might just be the exception to the rule, exceptionally well maintained. When the Sales Mgr. claimed it to be his wife's next car next summer, you have to wonder. My car is still TIGHT. The new one is great, but, again, not so shockingly different. Absolutely no squeaks or rattles. VERY solid build.

Hope that's enough for tonite.
  • Options
    The engine in the new 'Bu is a vast improvement. Can barely hear it when it starts, and at idle, nothing. At full accel it is a bit rough, but a big improvement (but I did feel a good bit of torque steer, which my car has never had).

Must all be out partying, to take the accolades I'm gonna spill tomorrow, with a hangover (maybe me, but I mean you).
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    No party here. Just got back from the Greek festival across the street!

Anyway, tempt us with that tidbit, did ya?

Get the mail sorted. Your sis is far more important. The car can wait!
  • Options
    A good friend of ours was called away this week to St. Louis on biz and managed to snag an LS with grey cloth in his free time at a St. Louis dealer. He'll be back in a bit, forget how long he said.

Anyway, via e-mail, the report is that the "Uglycloth" only pertains to the beige (neutral) color and that the grey is perfectly doable. WHEW!

Makes a nice case for the Maxx LS. LT sedan, for sure, is the best bet in the sedan.
  • Options
    As always. Since I have been up since 4 AM, I'm in overtired mode. Probably can't sleep, but can't write a long post right now either.

Send some of that greek wine, spanicopida and baklava down my way, please. I need it.

Sis' mail is under control. Entertain ME, for a few, you guys!!
  • Options
    rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    wpbharry, now you've got me jealous. Pick up our silver LT on Wednesday and haven't had a chance to drive one myself.

I DID crawl around one at the dealer today. All this talk on this board made me too anxious to wait - and I wasn't even excited about this car and here I am running out at noon.

Impressions:

How did they get the seams so tight? I've never been too anal about this, but have started paying attention.

How come no "real" tilt wheel? Somebody slipped a Honda height adjustable column instead of the GM tilt wheel assembly. Oh,Oh, the wife's not going to like this. I hope she can get used to it. Certainly doesn't seem to bother those millions of Honda owmers.

Fuel mileage 23/32 - Wow - that's the same as a 4 cylinder Camry - and sub 8 sec. 0-60, too. This car would have been a sensation a few years ago - heck maybe it should be now.

More later
  • Options
    venus537venus537 Member Posts: 1,443
    the metropolitan areas of milwaukee and madison vote heavily blue and this is usually enough to counteract all the rural areas that vote red.

wpbharry: stop being vague about how you feel about the malibu, tell me how you REALLY feel about the malibu. so this will be your next car.
  • Options
    THANKS for reporting back in. Was wondering when the new car would come in (yeah, have a bit of a photographic memory). We'll have fun doing the comps this week.

I know, those French seats do have tight seams. Love the pockets in the front. Don't know what the pockets are for, must be a Frenchy thing. I'm REALLY trying to keep this G-rated! The tilt wheel is exactly the same as in my 'Bu, but you can also pull the wheel out (telescoping). My Sales Mgr. and his "new on board assistant" knew almost as much as I (read we, as in this discussion) did. I actually was VERY impressed.
  • Options
    I'll reply to that fair question after you answer my fair question over in the "unused" comparisons discussion. Not picking you out, like you a LOT and VALUE your input. I'm not sure I'm willing to commit quite yet, but 95% sure. I DO have an Accord in my history. Once done, might again.

I've got a lot ahead. This news hound has a lot to report this weekend. Help me out. Be kind.
  • Options
    Remember about the $1,000 rebate in effect before you take delivery. My dealer had a ridiculous $4,000 "market price adjustment" increase on its sticker until I nearly lost it and had to go outside for a smoke break. When I came back in, it mysteriously had disappeared.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    wpbharry : Ack! Too many posts. What did you think of the dash / quality of materials? I drove past another local lot and they had no 04s either. Nuts!

reg : I have seen zero press on these cars up here vs several pre-views and reviews of the Bu. Strange IMO.
  • Options
    I'm doing this just to drive you nuts (as one of the "buds").

Sure reg is just about to boil over. Can't wait to see what becomes of this.

dindak, to give you a small piece to work with. My dash has about a 3/4" gap between the A-pillar and the dash (you don't want to know what I can see). Couldn't even fit a penny between it in the new one.

The dash is a plastic that is a big step up for me, and apparently was designed for us in FL (special again) to resist deterioration from sun/heat. They can say it's below the Camcord, but if so, barely below it. The A/C and radio controls all have that elusive Japanese feel. GM nailed it. FINALLY.
  • Options
    As I was taking the test drive, albeit extended, had to pull into one of those retiree condos (please) to turn around and was basically assaulted. What is this???

Well, needless to say they all want one. Camry owners thought it was "stunning". '03 Accord owners were apparently healing their wounds and noncommital.

The '03 Accord is hideous compared to this car. Far from gorgeous (not a quick date, thanks, but well....), it's a competitor. More than I ever thought.
  • Options
    stop it, you're killing me. I seen the mailbu and it looks CHEAP (inside and out) especially compared to my accord. Oh I'm sorry, i won't rain on your parade any more.

when the comparison tests come out i'll post the links on thee comparison board.
  • Options
    harry i'm so pooped i can barely keep my eyes open.....

not to dwell, but the epica/verona interior seems like it might be nicer than the bu.

I'd say the bu interior is certainly beyond acceptable and overall for its class mid pack to 2/3. The deisgn is nice but things like the shifter and steering wheel are big knocks.

At least its no Ion.

Off to find some Verona pics. verona...the sonata/4 cylinder camry killer.
  • Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    a horribly looking vehicle which is very bad mechanically (only 2 stars out of 5 from JD Power, which is the lowest a car can get). 2003 Malibu, on the other hand, won JD's initial quality award.

I said it many times and I'll say it again: this "fashion" of extending the headlights all the way to the windshield produces freaks uglier than Pontiak Aztek. I don't care if they are saving metal or weight - it just looks horrendous. Designers, if you are reading this - neither I nor (hopefully) millions of others will buy anything with these disgusting headlights. That goes for 04 Malibu also
  • Options
    bc, thanks for chiming in. Test drive is all that's needed. We're in it for the long haul. New sedan LT is headed your way.

Oh, and the crystal ball, I nearly forgot. Finally cranked up and "I can see clearly now". Some of you aren't gonna like this.

reg (yes, reg), john, maxx and I are in a new Maxx within a year. Not the same one, please.

reg, just succumb. She'll love it. And you can [non-permissible content removed] all you want, 'cause she'll be so peaceful, watching the clouds roll by out of the skylight and Barney playing on the DVD. Damn pushrods, my buds won one. "But I'll be back" is what the crystal ball tells. And no doubt in my mind, you will.
  • Options
    and I DO hate kicking people when they're down, but to add insult to injury, reg, you also need the Maxx LT. Easy cleanup (i.e. throwup) with the UltraLux.

Better you than me, you're looking at $27K. Better join in in wishing for $3K rebates. Sooner rather than later.
  • Options
    (giggle)

I figure I will probably end up at the Mazda or Subaru owners party, but the old 2000 Chevy Impala LS just crossed the 135,000 mile threshold yesterday. What with trips to Branson and Orlando coming up in just the next two months, I sure wish the wagon/hatches I am interested in would come out soon. (Mazda, Subaru, perhaps Malibu) I could also end up taking a Ford 500 detour, but I figure that would take too long.

And there is that matter of tons of money available on my GM card. Perhaps THAT is what they meant by "The Road to Redemption!"

(For those who may have missed it, GM ran "We're sorry we screwed up in the past and we are better now" ads last summer. They were internally called "The Road to Redemption." About the dumbest marketing move I've seen in years. Slightly better than "The Mayor of Truckville." And not quite as dumb as "we'll be there.")

If the Malibu Maxx is reliable (we won't know), comfortable and I can get my Sirius radio to play well in that XM environment (sigh), I may very well end up in a Maxx. Somehow, I doubt it, but I may...
  • Options
    mazdaprofourmazdaprofour Member Posts: 202
    All right folks, I am a proud owner of a 2003 White malibu sedan (not LS). Here is my question. Are the breaks on this car suppose to be so
    un-sensative? I had a toyota tacoma and just by tapping it, you would get whiplash and if so, how often do you have to replace these things? any other problems that you know about?
  • Options
    ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    I don't understand why anyone would buy the new Malibu right now. These early models usually have a lot of bugs. Dealers will probably be advertising well equipped V6 powered Malibu LS's for around $16,000 this time next year.
  • Options
    You apparently haven't been following GM. The most recent GM launches have all been virtually bug free.

It's Honda in particular whose new models have had problems galore (see 03 Accord, for instance, and J D Power surveys prove it). Ford had tons of problems with its Focus as well.

And there will be no ads for V6 powered Malibus for 16k a year from now, unless the cars are used.

If there are, we will have a lot worse things to deal with than GM's problems.
  • Options
    ehaaseehaase Member Posts: 328
    Why would anyone pay $21,000 or more for these new V6 Malibus, when larger Impalas are selling for $17,000?
  • Options
    I own a larger Impala. The ONLY larger Impalas selling for that price are the strippers, not the LS that I own.

And that larger is better attitude is why good small cars (like the Ford Mondeo) usually fail here.

I am almost certain my next car will be smaller than my Impala. You see, I like large cars, I like small cars. And I don't buy stereotypes. I try before I buy.

Why would anyone with a closed mind about an issue post in what amounts to a site for those considering purchase of a model?
  • Options
    Jeez, you guys are off and running.

John, you need to come down in early Nov. to see the Maxx. The Impala will make it for another 4 or 5.

Someone we know and love is in a very bad mood today and I've had to deal with that "hissie fit". No, not even remotely geographically located.

And then (venus will love this), the entire state of FL is in "shock and awe" mode (Chevy, are you following this?). Football fan here, but not right now. Those scrappy Marlins (baseball), whom I'd written off months ago, make the headlines this AM with a 2" plug no less. "Marlins Clinch It". The playoffs, but hey, we're on a roll.

Just the start of a tumultuous year for FL. Super Bowl, here we come. Hanging chads once again, here we come.

I WANT my orange fusion metallic Maxx (or sedan if need be) NOW!!!!

1/3 of the way thru the report, but I now have another roadblock. Local Hyundai dealer has singled me out (sure you've all seen one of these) with a key. The key might just start an '04 Sonata LX V-6 and $10 grand in cash. My best friend, who drives a Hyundai (unfortunately), didn't receive a key. Just watch it work, and then what????

Over to the Chevy dealer we go. Place my order please.
  • Options
    Thanks for the review. I probably won't have time to try a test drive until November or so. Let's keep the reviews coming.

We are still waiting for the Cubs to clinch it. There might be some Florida/Chicago dueling that actually means something in the neat future.
  • Options
    well hopefully my brewers can win another game against the astros. but don't count on it though. all the cubs now have to do is win.
  • Options
    Inadvertently, a request from a friend that is concerned about brakes. Guess I'll have to handle this one.

Sorry, mazdaprofour. Brakes ARE a prob on the old "classic" Malibu. Rear drums went at about 10K, still on the orig front rotors (but I know they're warped and living with it). Other than that, expect to have the intake manifold gaskets replaced around 45-60K miles, be careful of those awful Firestone Affinity's, and that's basically it. Not great, but you could do a LOT worse.
  • Options
    Interesting, but the 4-wheel discs on the new 'Bu aren't that impressive. Was petrified that I'd go thru the windshield when I hit the brakes in the new one; not at all so. I really couldn't tell a smidgen of difference. Hmmm......

And NO, I'm not purposely stringing you guys along, and I resent the post that suggests that.

I HATE TYPING!! Is that so bad? At least I'm a good guy and fair, and I let you all know what's up. The post will appear sometime this weekend; meanwhile head out to BGs, Home Depot, Lowe's, whatever. In my case West Palm Hyundai.
  • Options
    will not succumb will not succumb

NO BARNEY. This little girl will be listening to the Donnas, not no purple stupid idiot!

The Mazda products are still top of my pecking order, and the MAL will get an honest test drive. The utility of the MAxx will get a look.

Plus add the fact that I want a stick again and that would rule out the Mal right away.

But I do have a GM card. HMMMMM.

Wish the GM card could be used for a SAAB. My balance right now could be used for all the upfront lease fees. My daughter would rather be seen stylin' around in the eurocarh, even if she's german and not a fair skinned scahndinuviannnn

Sweet Duratec w/ vvt will call my name. Of course, my Duratec v8 I have already may suit me just fine for another few years too. Alas, I get bored. I seem to have a penchant for looking at Original Auroras lately too........

Drive a car like the Mazda6 6 or Maxima with stick and run its liquid smooth v6 with no power gaps through the gears up and down the speedometer and tachometer. Pure bliss. Which is why its so hard to settle for less and extoll any virtues on a typical Chevy v6. While it may serve the masses, once you've had a taste of the good stuff, its hard to go down the ladder.

I still remember my first SHO. I had SOOOOO much fun running that gem of a motor around.

It often comes down to motor for me.

BTW, usually the advantage of 4 wheel discs is mostly brake feel and lack of fade under heavy use. A lot of folks think 4 wheel discs are just for quick stopping but really its advantages are that and fade performance and pedal feel.

johncline-driving through Missouri, if you need to pass the time, just count the percentage of GM vehicles you see......
  • Options
    Thanks, Reg, for a wonderful post.

I, too, will try a Maxx. Still, I bet I end up with a Mazda or Subie. We will see.

Twill be interesting, that's for sure.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    If the Bu turns out to be reliable, I think odds are heavily in favor of the Maxx being the same way.
  • Options
    The new Malibu I inspected was an LS with the gray cloth, sometimes called uglycloth. It wasn't ugly, but being a geometric pattern, it is a bit of a shock in an automobile application. I might get used to it, but am glad ours is an LT

I was anxious to test out a theory. I moved the pedals all the way forward, which allowed me to move the seat foward. The telescoping wheel could be pushed back retaining a bit of arms out placement. Thus adjusted, there was definitely more legroom behind the driver seat than in our '02 - and more than in the competition, too.
  • Options
    bcmalibu99lsbcmalibu99ls Member Posts: 625
    Folks, my beloved Bu decided it's been silent long enough, so now it talks to me by slightly rattling its passenger front window. What would be your suggestions on how to silence it? Looks like another trip to the dealer is coming soon!
  • Options
    WPB,

You said you found the tilt to be the same as on your Malibu. Did I miss something? I found the lever on the bottom of the steering column, which pulled down and back, unlocking the up/down adjustment on the column and the telescopic feature. I then stopped looking further - is there another control for the tilt feature?
  • Options
    Sorry guys, no, no Hyundai Sonata and $10K, but ended up with a houseful of hungry men (without wives; one of those days). Usually my cup of tea, but had no warning. I don't think a warm spinach salad would've done the trick, now would it? Ended up calling. Hate that, but everyone went home happy.

Not Jewish, but a good friend is. Was planning on the beer-braised brisket tomorrow. In the area, drop me a line. Can feed 20, no prob.

bc: New one on me. That's ONE THING I haven't had to deal with.

rwisem: I found this a bit strange. The tilt wheel function is identical as in my 'Bu. Only diff is that when you're ready to adjust for position, yank on it. It telescopes. I felt like half an idiot doing it, but that's the answer. No seperate button/lever for telescope.
  • Options
    wpbharry, so I guess I will have to replace at 10k, what am I going to have to pay to replace the breaks?

and is their any better breaks that will last longer than just 10K?

Should I be regretting my purchase of the 03 malibu?

and how much is the intake gasket going to cost me when I have to replace it at 60k?
  • Options
    Who said you were going to be replacing an intake manifold gasket?

Sheesh...
  • Options
    Verona/Epica inspection today. No 2004 bu sightings.

The Verona has a very well done interior, especially for the price. Malibu deisgn perhaps more interesting. However, the plastics and leather on the Verona are indeed nicer.
  • Options
    I had no idea. reg, you've not even touched one? Oh dear Lord, this is truly workable.

mazdaprofour: Get the extended warranty if you still can. That'll cover the gaskets when you get there. Plus a lot of minor annoyances along the way. If you're a good guy and really charming, they'll handle the first round of brake probs gratis.

Can't say that with Honda, Toyota or Mazda (but that's a subject for the other discussion forum).
  • Options
    "Who said you were going to be replacing an intake manifold gasket?"

That is what wpbharry said.

How much are normal break replacements for the bu and do they have warranties?
  • Options
    bc will have to chime in on this one. I have a "special" relationship with my dealer and don't pay for diddly-squat, so I can't advise you and be truthful.

Which is also why they are guaranteed a sale in 2004, and they darn well know it. Foaming at the mouth, really.
This discussion has been closed.