Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    gurumikegurumike Member Posts: 442
    Just got back from busy day at work. First chance to read the board. Firstly, points regarding his knowledge, or lack of it, would best be emailed to me. It's not really what the boards for. But, since it's now a topic, I have a few observations. My colleague is, I feel, an above average car salesman. He has an Internet computer in his office at work and DSL & cable at home. He plays on-line games and has a far better understanding of our cars than most guys at other BMW stores. How ever, like the vast majority of his and my clients, he isn't as in tune with issues such as those discussed on this board because he doesn't go to web sites such as this one. It's true that we have not been notified by BMW on 2002 MY changes yet and it would certainly seem highly unlikely that there would be any difference whatsoever. The 5 series new front and back lights (and fatter kidney grills) were new for 2001, the first and only alteration on a car that debuted in spring of 1996. The 3 series was brand new in the fall of 1998. It's definatley an early change for BMW to make. In my mind, his comments (which, of course, are wrong!) might even be "reasonable" in that he was drawing on his several years experience
    Anyway, I do remember who you were. The young lady was holding the white terrier, right?! I'll be at the office on Wednesday after 2pm. I can't talk business on the board so perhaps you could phone/email me.
    Thanks !!
    -Michael.
  • Options
    frank69mfrank69m Member Posts: 63
    Silverprincess, shoot for $1400-$1800 over the dealership cost. Don't accept anymore than that and you Won't and I say Won't get it for $1000 over sticker.

Others, have you seen the new Car and Driver Magazine that rated the:

Boxster S vs.
    Corvette (regular version) vs.
    Mercedes AMG SLK 32 vs.
    the new 315 HP M Roadster and

they rated the M Roadster Last....Blah....I don't believe that. They also rated the 0-60 speed of the vette and M. Roadster as 4.5 seconds which I also fail to believe. Every other magazine rates the vette at 4.7-4.8 seconds with the regular and non-convertible version. Convertible version is heavier. I'm quite disappointed....

M3 Frank
  • Options
    frank69mfrank69m Member Posts: 63
    You have access to the new 5 series and what it will look like? I hope it doesn't have the ugly trunk and lights that we saw before.

Also, how do you like the new 530 and 525 with the round circle glowing day time running lights. Looks cool...

M3 Frank
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    I am in the same boat and live in N. VA. I have been able to get $1900-$2000 over invoice for a 325 as a best offer, but availability is the big issue. You can no longer place new orders for 2001's so you have to find a match through dealer inventory that is going to come in over the next month or so. The hardest part is finding the exact options you want.
  • Options
    derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    Honestly, even though the model year is ending and some dealers may be dealing less, I don't think Virginia is really the best place to get a deal on a 3er anyway. The one place I went in Merrifield (Fairfax BMW) a couple of months ago, the losers wouldn't even come outside and talk to me even though I pulled up in an '01 SLK, wearing a suit, and ready to deal! #!@#$ Now a good sales person would at least come talk to you regardless of what you're wearing or what you're driving, so I can only conclude that not only are they awful sales people in Fairfax, they don't even know a SURE THING when they see it!

I don't know about the dealers in Richmond or VA Beach however...the folks down south may still be willing to deal. Anyway, I just had an email today from another dealer in the DC area saying they could still get me an '01 330i to my specs for ED. But I'm still on the fence re: going for '01 or waiting for '02. Decisions, decisions.

Have you tried www.eurobuyers.com? Steve Diamond may be able to do a little better for you if you don't mind driving a bit out of your way.
  • Options
    ashutoshsmashutoshsm Member Posts: 1,007
    This may help

The post number for someone's very nice review of the ED process is in the low 2400's.

I am a wannabe 3-series owner myself, in a few months (fingers crossed), and the ED and the Performance centre delivery at South Carolina both sound like fun and very viable options!

You can also read more about both options at the BMW website, its linked at bmwusa.com in the top menu under Virtual Center. I'm sure others have posted about it at bmwfanatics.com or bimmer.org (I think, maybe .com)
  • Options
    yes on the "too late to custom order an '01". July 3rd was the last day. We should be seeing our September production allocation in the next week or two. We already have 5 series allocation for September. BTW September production cars are '02 MYs, of course.
  • Options
    jwleungjwleung Member Posts: 8
    Hi all,

Here's a weird one. I was driving my 5sp 330i on the freeway last night, and since it's still in break-in (about 500 miles on it now), I was shifting back and forth between 4th and 5th gear to vary the RPMs. On one particular downshift to 4th, my Service Engine Soon light came on, followed by a significant loss of power and the car vibrating noticeably more. I turned off the AC and radio, and that didn't do much good, so I pulled over to check under the hood. All the fluids were in order and I didn't see anything broken (like I would really know anyway), so I tried starting the car again. The light was now off, and the car was running smoothly again. It didn't happen again for the rest of the night, despite more downshifting.

The same thing happened again this afternoon as I was downshifting from 4th to 3rd getting off the freeway (RPMs went from about 2800 to 4000). Like before, all I had to do was restart the car and everything was fine again.

I guess I'm taking the car into the dealer sometime soon. Anyone else have a similar problem, or might know what is wrong? Thanks.
  • Options
    carpevinocarpevino Member Posts: 24
    Congrats on the new arrival!! I guess that bottle of Gewurzt should be Champagne. I'm heading up your way for a sales meeting and was wondering if you could enlighten me on the somerville area. I'm dying to take my car(Maggie)for a road trip but don't want to place her in any jeopardy, ie. city traffic, pot hole roads. How is the area, I'll be coming up from New London.

I'll e-mail you our website if your interested in some vino.
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    No flaws in your thinking - I personally would not consider buying a standard BMW any way EXCEPT European Delivery. M cars are not discounted for ED.

In addition to the standard ED savings, I have found at least two dealers that will discount the european delivery price even further (i.e. comparable to the discount they would give on a stateside delivery). My estimates are that I could get a 5-series for $1200+ under US invoice and a 3-series for $700+ under US invoice.

I have ample frequent flier milage and would turn the trip into a family vacation, so I don't count those costs that against my savings. Also, I would be paying all cash and don't need to sell my current car until after I actually get the BMW back in the states, so I am not concerned about financing/payment/timing issues.

As I've posted previously, I am not sure why ED appears to be much more popular on the 5-series board, but 3-series buyers are willing to wait for months on a stateside delivery order without considering ED. My guess - not intended to offend anyone - is that 5-series buyers as a group tend to be a little more sophisticated and willing to plan ahead to take advantage of the program. Also, the savings don't look that great until you find a dealer willing to give added discounts to the ED prices, which takes some research.

I am not going to be doing anything until late fall (October/November). But I stongly encourage you to investigate further. Also, check out the website www.eurobuyers.com for additional info.

Good luck.
  • Options
    jimb19jimb19 Member Posts: 1
    Hi all,
    Has anybody heard any info of model changes to the 330ci for 2002, also price changes? I'm looking to order a 2002 330ci early fall.
    thanks in advance
    Jim
  • Options
    thedeepdarkbluthedeepdarkblu Member Posts: 106
    I saw one of these in a magazine. It connects to your cigarette lighter and is supposed to measure 0 to 60, HP, 1/4 mile, etc. Anybody have any experience w/ these?
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    While the pace of the posting here has eased off a little over recent weeks, I was unable to spend any time online last week and I have just had to catch up on almost 500 posts!

Brave1heart,
    Welcome back and congratulations on your pregnancy. I hope you do not have the same problem that I had when my wife was pregnant with our first child. For the full 9 months, she wanted just a little dinner and then a HUGH serving of apple pie alamode for dessert. I of course felt obligated to join her in this "Temporary" period of gluttony and gained twenty pounds in those 9 months. People laughed at me and told me that it was called "Sympathetic Pregnancy", fortunately, while we were expecting our daughter, I was able to avoid that condition.

Gurumike & fellow AV8OR in training,
    I have a 1999 328i with a build date of 12/98 equipped with PP and a 5-Speed and regardless of the position of the mirror switch, the right side mirror does not tilt down, no way, no how. I suspect that BMW added that feature sometime after the E46 went into production. Now you have me curious, when did the "Tilt-A-Mirror" become available? Inquiring minds want to know. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    max93max93 Member Posts: 19
    I have read over recent posts on deals in the D.C. area and it appears the best time to shop was a month or so ago. Now, you end up paying about $500 more given the demand for 3-series. Interesting, I expected the best deals at the model year end of a production cycle.
    Regarding the dealers in the area, I have had favorable experiences with most in the area via the internet to include Richmond, Fairfax, and another in Md, with Richmond and Fairfax being the most proactive. Nevertheless, I have read here and on other message boards of visitors to Fairfax being treated similarly as derprofi described. Poor dealers, it only takes one or two vocal criticisms to gain a reputation!
  • Options
    sunnybrooksunnybrook Member Posts: 74
    I'm kinda confused on this concept and how it results in savings. You go to the BMW factory in germany, pick up the car there, drive it to a port, and then pay to have it ferried to the US? How exactly does this process work?
  • Options
    Just remembered, on '99 MY 3 series, I believe it was April production that saw the introduction of mirror dip. I'll try to remember to confirm tomorrow (day-off today!) but I'm fairly sure it was a late introduction item. Or was that the mirrors being remembered by car & key memory?
  • Options
    titaniumsil325titaniumsil325 Member Posts: 20
    Braveheart - welcome back (I know I am late) and congrats on the new addition!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take care of the inside of the car i.e: the black interior (not the -ette) and the wood trim? Any recomended products? By the way - I have been using Armorall wheel cleaner and it works fabulously on that pesky break dust.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Go to the BMW corporate website and read all about it. All shipping and initial insurance is included in the EUD price...there are no extras beyond the options you add to the car. As pointed out above, besides the upfront savings on MSRP, there is the potential to save even more if you can find a dealer who is willing to discount the EUD price.

While this can seem like a no-brainer, I can tell you from personal experience that for this to make real sense, you have to actually want to drive the car on your vacation over there, or be going for some other reason [like using flyer miles] that keeps the total cost of trip + car to no more than you would pay for the car here. Fortunately, in the case of the 3er, the math does indeed suggest that if you are going anyway, you should do it if the timing can be made to work for you vs your need for the new car.

BMW and Volvo are about the last of the EU delivery programs where pricing results in real savings; MB now gives you no worthwhile price break for Overseas Delivery [they only waive the US destination charge], VW killed their program altogether, etc. It's a good deal if you are going anyway, were going to buy the car anyway, and are confident about your driving skills, which will be tested in the EU in ways that never happen here in the land of the slow and stupid.
  • Options
    titaniumsil325titaniumsil325 Member Posts: 20
    Braveheart - welcome back (I know I am late) and congrats on the new addition!

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to take care of the inside of the car i.e: the black interior (not the -ette) and the wood trim? Any recomended products? By the way - I have been using Armorall wheel cleaner and it works fabulously on that pesky break dust.
  • Options
    Sunnybrook you pretty much have the concept down. If you are already planning to go to Europe for vacation the savings is significant (@$2000) for the car considering no car rental, and, well, you were going there anyway. If you're getting eurodelivery (going to Europe) just to pick it up b/c it's supposedly cheaper, well, you really don't save any money. I think it would be nice to drive the BMW on euro roads and autobahn speeds. A slight financial downside is that you take ownership of a car (in Germany), drive it during your vacation, then throw it on a ship for another month or so, paying for a car for a month that you can't use the car. I considered euro delivery but simply couldn't fit in a trip to Europe.
    Check out www.bmw330ci.com or similar sites for actual experiences. Other here on the board probably have more precise information, as well.
  • Options
    erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    Has anyone done this installation (successfullly)?

The armrest came with no instructions, and the instructions I printed from circlebmw.com leave a bit to be desired. I also checked the FAQS on e46fanatics, and it has install help on everyhting BUT the armrest!

If you know of any links, or can provide insight, it would be appreciated. It's just three pieces, so it can't be THAT difficult (unless I am missing something)!

Thanks in advance...
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    Just got off the phone with my dealer. Though I was a bit late in custom ordering my 325i, my dealer was able to obtain the vehicle of my choice through a dealer swap and I should have it in 4-5 weeks (it is now in status 150). I am totally psyched!!!!

As for good deals, I have dealt with some dealers in MD and some in VA including Fairfax (they do seems a bit uninterested) but found a good dealer in BMW of Arlington, and they are passing along good deals for this market. So give them a shot.

Also try Rick Buckley at Russel BMW in Baltimore. They do a lot of dealer deals in the area and should be able to find you your ideal car.

Now for the killer wait..
  • Options
    dantlodantlo Member Posts: 106
    Carpevino
    Are you still taking your car in for the gas pedal? Do you plan to get it fixed before you go on the trip?

Mine is at the dealer since Saturday, but they still told me yesterday that they could not feel the problem. I will keep you posted!
    Dan
  • Options
    deepdarkbludeepdarkblu Member Posts: 33
    I was just now driving about 45 mph, and experienced a loss of power. Service engine light, oil light came on momentarily. Power came back on about three seconds later without restarting the car. WEIRD and DISCONCERTING. I called the dealer, and she said that if I put low quality gas in (even if it's high octane), then the engine might seize. That's all she could think of. I did put Crown gasoline in. Maybe that's the reason. Anyone else have problems w/ this?
  • Options
    rollierollie Member Posts: 337
    Regarding post #7119:

jrct9454, don't forget Saab - they also discount their cars significantly (and throw in 2 airline tickets) last I checked. (Of course Saab also discounts their cars significantly at the dealerships so maybe their Euro delivery discount doesn't count!)

Thanks.

-rdo
    rdollie@worldnet.att.net
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    "The engine might seize"!?! Say What???

I cannot think of ANY reason why the engine would seize due to bad fuel or mis-fueling. Years ago I had to tear apart a small block Mopar engine that had Diesel fuel (real low octane) accidentally added to the tank instead of standard Gasoline. While the valves on said engine were toast, the lower end (the part that can "Seize") was in fair shape, I performed a standard "Valve Job" and put it all back to together. The last I heard, the car was still running well after another 50K miles. I think you should demand that she put you in touch with someone who knows what the hell he/she is talking about.

As for what caused the problem, tough call that. Low quality fuel MIGHT be the cause, some gas stations put cheap (low octane) fuel in the Premium tank to boost their profits. The last time I checked, you could not find fuel in the USA that is both High Octane and Low Quality.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    drcrdrcr Member Posts: 87
    I did the install on the armrest w/ the instructions from Circle and found them to be very detailed and clear. What problems are you having?

Just start w/ step one and when complete, step 2 seems clear. I guess I'm trying to say is that the instructions are much easier as you are performing the steps instead of trying to envision the steps.

My whole install took less than 1 hr. One glitch is when bolting the armrest to the floor slide (in the bolt tracks) as far to the rear as the track will allow. This will prevent the armrest from rubbing against the plastic covering when the armrest is raised. You will understand when installing.

They do provide more parts (bolts, clips) than are required. I guess in case you lose one. A template is included but is only required with convertible.

drcr (titslvr/sedan/5 spd/sport/ gray leather/moon/wood)
  • Options
    welcome back. Congrats. kids rule. they really give life perspective and truly make us better people

drcr
  • Options
    tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    What in the world? This is more than disconcerting, its downright dangerous, what if some idiot was tailgating me, or I was trying to accelerate through traffic? Please let me know what the outcome is after you talk to the service guys, esp since our cars are practically identical. thanks.
  • Options
    you're right....I was sitting at work, after printing off the instructions, trying to visualize the install...(it wasn't pretty)

I will give it a shot. thanks for the tip on bolting the armrest to the bolt tracks.

I suppose I went out to e46/faqs hoping to see an install with pictures, etc. (like I saw with the alarm install). Thanks again.
  • Options
    eugeug Member Posts: 46
    Better talk to the service department. The dealer doesn't seem to know what they're talking about. I had a similar symptom when my ignition system went bad. Your problem may be just a loose connection to the engine-computer or something. Anyway, the dealer is wrong.
  • Options
    tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    I brought my 325i into service today. First time there. The little door underneath the stereo, right above the ash tray would not open. It is the little compartment. They replaced it with even a better one, this one opens out automatically like a drew. You don't have to put your hand in and look around for stuff anymore. AT first, i thought they put in the wrong one, but found out there are two types for the 3 series. The service guy asked if i wanted replace to the other one? I said Nah, let me try it out and see how i like it, if not, i will bring it back in a week. I love it, i can put my sun glass in it and with one push, it opens and my sunglass comes out. I recommend this part to anyone.

By the way, they detailed my car for me. I can't beleive that!
  • Options
    330iwaiting330iwaiting Member Posts: 2
    Hi! I am new to this. I have been reading these posts and wanting a BMW for many months. I am happy to say that today I ordered a 2001 330i with SP and CD. It is status 111 and is scheduled to be built on the 33rd week of this year in Germany.

I am wondering if the dealer will supply me with a production number or how this process will work. I am also doing the performance center delivery. Is there a checklist that I need to have when I pick up the car?

Also, the car's MSRP was $36,035 and I bought it for $34,000. I pay tax and title only. I feel this is a good deal. What do you think?

I appreciate the info and can't wait to drive the car.
  • Options
    330i waiting - yes, the dealer will supply you with the production number...then you can register at bmwna.com and track the production process, based on the production number....yadda, yadda, yadda. I think your pricing looks good. I think it's about $1300 over invoice, if I am using the right numbers....good job.

tcnk2 - thanks for the info on the slide-out. I will have to remember to ask for it when I go in for service.
  • Options
    were you able to install your old cupholders into the new armrest?
  • Options
    habitat1habitat1 Member Posts: 4,282
    Just to use a real world example of how European Delivery could work:

MSRP: $36,035
    330iwaiting's price on 2001 car: $34,000 (very good deal on stateside delivery)
    Standard European Delivery Price: $33,655 (insignificant savings over current deal)
    Discounted European Delivery price from dealers willing to negotiate (I've identified at least 2) = $1,500 over ED invoice = approximately $31,900.

You could still take delivery at BMW performace center. You would be ordering 2002 model at this point (supposedly no significant price changes).
  • Options
    trejos28trejos28 Member Posts: 93
    When did everyone start the insurance/financing process? Where you given a "car is coming in two weeks warning" from your dealer and then began the process? Any words of wisdom?

This is my first car and the whole process is new to me. I figure I have a month left before my baby arrives. Any advice/input would be greatly appreciated. Once again, thanks.
  • Options
    Sorry if i sounded to forward. I just ment to say that you'll be able to figure it out. It's not too hard.

Honestly, feel free to ask any questions and I'd be happy to answer them the best I can.

The cup holders, change wheel, hazard switch etc all pop out and click into the new peice. Just remember that nothing needs to be forced. If it doesn't come out easily, there is probably a tab or the like holding it in place.

Also, the leather covering over the e-brake has a plactic zip fastener holding it on from the inside. You'll see it when you take it apart. The directions call for it's removal in order to remove the old plastic assemble over the e-brake. I left it on (didn't have a replacement fastener) and was able to wiggle the old plastic assemble out over it. When i say "fastener" i'm referring to the plastic fasteners you would use to clamp a hose or hold a wire to a support.

drcr
  • Options
    carpevinocarpevino Member Posts: 24
    I haven't alerted my dealer about the problem. I want to enjoy the car some more before its first visit to the service department. It still is there and doesn't seem to change if it is hot or cold, now I'm wondering if it is a humidity problem. I'm located on Long Island and the humidity can get pretty brutal.

"Can't duplicate the problem" seems to be the usual first response. I had a Maxima with a bad bearing that the service department couldn't reproduce for two months, although I heard and felt it all the time.

Good luck and keep me posted.
  • Options
    jasonkureejiijasonkureejii Member Posts: 210
    You might want to shop around for both well ahead of time...it doesn't hurt, especially since not all insurance companies will insure certain vehicles. If you need finanial assistance, get preapproved at least...my own credit union gave me 60 days on a 5.9% loan. If I need to extend it, it will not be a problem, but at least get preapproved. First car or first new car? Either way, hopefully, you have established some kind of credit history. Anyways, I asked you a few posts ago whether your vehicle was also awaiting a ship, and if so, what port? Mine has been awaiting a ship in SA since at least June 18th...I only hope that the tracking system is being updated very slowly.....
  • Options
    deepdarkbluedeepdarkblue Member Posts: 33
    Guys, thanks for your advice. I will have my dealer look at the car. Their explanation seemed a bit kooky, but it only happened once (once to many, though). I'll keep everyone posted on this. Well, here are the photos of my new car on the date of delivery. I'm the large asian guy with the goofy look of pleasure on his face. Ain't Lena a beaut?

• Options
    jccaijccai Member Posts: 11
    Hi! I'm considering purchasing a 330Ci coupe with SP, PP, CD & xenon. Did any owners here pay below MSRP for their 2001 330Ci coupe? If so, would you mind sharing how you negotiated the price or which online buying service you went through?

Also, does anyone know what changes will be made on the 2002 model? The dealer said I may be able to order a 2002 model starting in Sept. Does that sound right?

Thanks a lot!
  • Options
    micgamicga Member Posts: 56
    I just received the aluminum manual gear shift knob for my 2001 325i. Does anyone know how to install it??

Thanks
  • Options
    micgamicga Member Posts: 56
    deepdarkblue - Forgive me. Is that a 330??
  • Options
    yeeehayeeeha Member Posts: 33
    no apologies necessary! you didn't sound forward. I appreciate all the tips. I have printed your responses, and am going to borrow my (totally anal!) engineer-neighbor to come over and help sort this out. now that I am home with the directions, I think you're correct. Should be no biggy. Thanks again Brad!
  • Options
    For a 2001, over $2000 over invoice is definitely too much. Now, what is over invoice varies to where you live in that dealers include the DACO/MACO charge as part of the invoice price, and DACO/MACO varies by area.
    A month ago or so, $1500 over invoice was more achievable. From what I've read here and on other message boards you cannot order a 2001 now. You will have to buy off the lot or modify an incoming 330Ci a dealer has previously scheduled to arrive.
    For 2002, manufacture in Germany commences in September. The factories take off the month of August. My source again are the message boards.
    I cannot confirm changes for 2002 except in aesthetics. Cinnamon brown leather will be available, for one. I understand modifications to the exterior appearance are less drastic than those of the four-door. I predict what BMW eventually incorporates as standard equipment for 2002 will depend upon the competition's success in eroding 3-series market share.
  • Options
    bingusabingusa Member Posts: 22
    same as those previous posted (linked) in bimmer.org. just from the official BMW site.
    http://www.bmw.com/bmwe/products/. go to "specials" and "the new BMW 3 series".
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    micga - I hope deepdarkblue doesn't mind me answering for him... based on the wheels, I'd have to say it's a 325Ci.

deepdarkblue - pretty car! I got a topaz coupe, but even after I placed my order, I contemplated changing it to steel gray.
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    As a birthday present from my wife, I was going to register for the BMW-CCA Genesee Valley Chapter's Driving school at Watkins Glen. I just read on their webpage today that for the August session, they wouldn't be accepting registration from beginners (no or limited driving school experience). Has anyone done any other driving schools? Skip Barber? BMW Performance Center?

I'd be interested in hearing about any experiences good or bad regarding any driving school available anywhere on the east coast.
  • Options
    tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    Nice pics! That's one sweet car. I haven't had the chance to take any good shots yet, I've been travelling and every time I get back its after dark.