Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    carpevinocarpevino Member Posts: 24
    Here is a link that discusses the sticky pedal problem.

http://www.bimmer.org/3series/messages/messages/82671.html

If you can't access it try www.bimmer.org. It was posted today and desribes the problem and what BMW is doing about it.

• Options
    add123add123 Member Posts: 28
    I just came across a site on taking care of the paint, interior, ect. I thought it was informative.

www.properautocare.com

add123
  • Options
    alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    Wow, beautiful car! Lena is a great name. It looks like you have the star spoke 44's instead of the standard M double spoke sport wheels that come with the 330i sport package. Did you custom order the 44's? It's nice to see you in the pictures, it really adds alot to this board, just like gurumike and a few others in the past. I will post my pictures once I learn how to import them from my digital camera (procrastination). It would be cool to see everybody with their cars someday, like a big family picture or a collage. :O)
  • Options
    micgamicga Member Posts: 56
    I thought only the 330 came with the chrom around the windows. Am I wrong??
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I may have been wrong... I'm pretty sure the wheels are from a 325, but as alpine325i mentioned, they may have been custom ordered. It appears, from the brochure, that the chrome trim is standard on both the 325 and 330 coupes.
  • Options
    I just looked back a couple of hundred messages and found the definitive answer...

"I ordered my 325Ci in April and took delivery..." deepdarkblue - 7/5/01
  • Options
    micgamicga Member Posts: 56
    So let me get this straite. The chrome trim around the windows comes standard on 325 and 330 coupes but not on 325 and 330 sedans?

Take Care
  • Options
    Fortunately, I am "the man of many brochures" (or should that be the "man with too much time on his hands"?). For sedans, the 330's come with chrome, the 325's do not.
  • Options
    yankeefan5yankeefan5 Member Posts: 2
    I currently own a 1990 Aura integral I/ 215K miles on it. I want to replace it with a 2000 or 2001 AL or 323. I drive approx 300 miles per week and want a car which will last for many years. Which car should I choose?????
  • Options
    deepdarkbluedeepdarkblue Member Posts: 33
    It's a 325Ci, and I guess that the chrome trim is standard on the coupe or the sport package. Not sure which. I imagine that the chrome trim is standard on the 330 in both coupe and sedan but not standard on the 325 sedan. In any case, I'm in love! I wish the photos were a bit larger. I'll have to figure that one out. Thanks for the compliments, everyone. I'd love to see everyone w/ their new Bimmers.

The brake dust is killing me (I seem to be cleaning my wheels every two days just to keep 'em looking nice). Can you tell I'm a bit anally retentive?

I just received my alarm from Circle BMW. Anyone install one of these suckers? I'm gonna try it this weekend, and I'm wondering if it's worth it to save the $260.00 my dealer is going to charge me. Help! Any advice is welcomed.
  • Options
    tchootchoo Member Posts: 93
    The chrome trim is standard on all coupes, regardless of 325, 330. My 325Ci w/out SP has the chrome trim.
  • Options
    veekay1veekay1 Member Posts: 180
    congrats!! great looking car!!
    two things:
    1. can u tell me step by step how u posted ur pics? i cant seem to do it using the Edmunds guide!
    2. DO NOT INSTALL THE ALARM ON YOUR OWN...JUST SAW A LADY AT THE DEALERSHIP LAST WEEK WHO HAD A VERY MINOR ELECTRICAL PROBLEM AND THEY ASKED HER....."WHO INSTALLED THE ALARM".....and of course it was done by someone else....and they said her warranty was voided! IMHO, not worth the trouble....get it done by the dealer!
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    I started working 4-day weeks (nice!!) but the catch is that I am in Albany, NY, which is about 185 miles from Boston. I drove up here this morning (2 1/4 hrs only - it's all highway) and I will be going back on Friday night. I'd rather be closer to my wife now that she's pregnant but it seems that I will have to spend a few months here for work. My company just had a 20% layoff yesterday and I can't be too picky right now because business is really slow. On the plus side, I get to enjoy driving my BMW longer (company's paying for the miles and tolls) and we also have a great team so we'll be out drinking every night. Having 3-day weekends is also nice - I watched the Wimbledon final yesterday morning and then went golfing in the aft, so I can't complain. On the downside, I am extremely busy and don't have any time during the day, so I'll have to catch up with the board mostly at night. Oh, most of my colleagues here didn't know what I'm driving now and I was embarrassed when they found out tonight - this car looks like a million bucks. Good thing I could tell them it's got cheap vinyl seats that get very hot, a labor-intensive manual shifter and that it barely cracks 30 grand new. I guess it's some wacky Christian guilt thing. BTW, there are too many speed traps on I-90 and I will need a very good radar detector, as I'll be travelling here for business for a few months at least. I narrowly missed 4 speed traps this morning on my way to Albany

Shipo, I know what you mean about sweets and pregnancy. My wife gained over 10 lbs in just the first couple of months of her pregnancy but now she feels much better and she started swimming regularly, which helps a lot. Just as long as she's healthy, that's all that matters. Hey, "congratulations on MY pregnancy?" I haven't figured how to do that but thank you anyhow.

e30ragtop - you should find platypus' ED write-up from the second half of April. I really wanted to do the ED and the only reason why I didn't is b/c I couldn't find a dealer who discounts the 3-series under the program while I could get a decent discount on U.S. delivery. Platypus' contact is Joe(??) at Passport BMW in MD and he was able to save a lot of money that way, not to mention the fact that he was able to take his family on a great vacation to Europe. Habitat1 has a good point that the program is more popular with 5-series buyers who are on average older than 3-series buyers, better-traveled and like to travel in style. Also, they get a deeper discount on the 5-series through the ED program.

Shap1 - Thanks for the heads-up on the rear seats. I totally agree with you and Shipo that the E46's rear seat space is adequate and more than enough for two baby seats. We'll start with one (if we're lucky, that is) and see how it goes.

Guru - It is very important to educate the sales force. Cutter seems to be a very high visibility dealership and people will expect the best service from you guys. In my professional world, you can't get away with lies and especially inadequate knowledge. All consumers would be happy to hear "Well, I'm sorry but I don't know the answer to this. I will find out for you and let you know." Also, you and Jon are sophisticated Internet users and you may want to start a mailing for the salespeople so they are in the loop and don't end up selling a product they don't know well. Just a thought, take it at face value.

M roadster test - I can believe it was last. C&D staff has always been a huge BMW fan and they won't be making this up. The roadster's platform is fairly old, not rigid enough by comparison, and the motor has too much power for the car's weight. It's still a lot of fun to drive but again, it's not necessarily better against great competitors like the SLK320 AMG, Boxster S, and the 'Vette. We all like the sophistication of BMW's but the 'Vette has gotten much better over the years and as the numbers show, it was the best-handling, accelerating and stopping car of the bunch. I like the looks of it; it's really the American version of Porsche (from a different angle).

carpevino - Somerville is not a great area - where are you staying? Drop me an e-mail if you need more detailed info and especially if you need company for a beer or two. What am a saying, I mean for a glass of vino or two. Yes, please e-mail web site - I'll be interested and will likely be a small tiny client. Bottom line is, it's all part of this board's brotherhood and I'll be happy to give it a shot.

330iwaiting - That's a good deal - congrats!!

deepdark - thanks for the pics - Lena is a looker, all right. I'm guessing you'd marry her if you could :0) The Star 44 wheels look just as good on steel gray as they look on my car's Orient Blue exterior. Isn't it funny that some people thought it was a 330? Awesome car!! Matching polo shirt too? I'll have you believe I was wearing a matching polo shirt when I picked my car and we even look a little alike judging by the pictures. Congrats again - you're a happy man.

Fan recall - I asked if you all think that it's worth doing it even if you haven't encountered the problem but fall in the recall category but unfortunately no one responded. Is there any mileage past which it's safe to say you don't have the problem?

I noticed today that the Shtroumpf has picked up some more growl over 3K RPM's and that sound is addictive. Let me just say that I did not turn on the H-K once during the whole trip from Boston to Albany. I still had the best music.
  • Options
    roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    Are you really that bad at spelling or did you use the Edmunds spell check?
  • Options
    muddddmudddd Member Posts: 4
    brave1heart - My orient blue 325i is on the recall list for the fan problem and I definitely plan on getting it replaced. I see very little or no risk in having the fan replaced and would rather not be stranded.

In a way I'm envious of your long drive to work. I find myself extending my 2.5 mile drive to work just to get some more time behind the wheel. :)

carpevino - Thanks for info on sticky pedal. I have that problem and look forward to a solution.
  • Options
    sunnybrooksunnybrook Member Posts: 74
  • Options
    sunnybrooksunnybrook Member Posts: 74
    Won't a few sprays of WD40 do the trick? I don't understand why you would need to do a recall for something so minor...
  • Options
    denrightdenright Member Posts: 285
    Has anyone with a 330 experienced the sticky gas pedal, or has this just been with 325? I haven't noticed any 330 drivers complaining... I am hoping this is something I won't have to worry about.

Someone was asking the other day for advice about driving stick. I was thinking about this as I drove home last night. I have been driving stick for about 10 years, and I think my best piece of advice I would give someone learning to drive stick is to not be afraid of the gas pedal. If you are revving slightly (like, above 2000 or 2500 RPMs) when you engage the clutch, you won't stall. So, don't be afraid to give it the gas, especially going up hill.

10 days to go until delivery (I hope)!!!
  • Options
    chloe6chloe6 Member Posts: 38
    Hi!

I'm finally getting my new 325i! I'm very excited about it, but I'm trying to figure out what my trade-in is worth... If anyone can give me some advice, I'd be VERY grateful!

I have a 1985.5 Porsche 944 with 72,000 miles on it. Any idea how much my car is worth?

It's Kalihari Beige, which is basically the metallic champagne color. It has a dark brown leather interior. It is NOT a turbo 944. It's in great condition with only a few minor dings from parking in parking lots. It has a few cracks in the dashboard. It has never been in an accident. It needs a new radio/cassette player, but the original is still in the car.

I'd really appreciate any advice you can give me about this, because the wholesale values I've seen have varied widely. The dealer told me that they usually use Galves wholesale pricing. I tried to look up the Galves price online, but apparently you need to be a subscriber in order to access the prices. (It's not really worth subscribing to look up one car!)

Also, if I were to sell the car on my own, does anyone have an idea about how much I should ask for it? I live in NJ, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for your help!

Regards,
    Chloe
  • Options
    The Maersk Wave is scheduled to leave NY for Baltimore on July 18, so our cars should be off the boat that day. I am still crossing my fingers for a July 21 delivery!
  • Options
    Go to edmunds used car pricing area. There is an option to determine the trade in and private party values of your car, including adjustments for color, location and options.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    deepdarkbludeepdarkblu Member Posts: 33
    It's easy as pie. You do need to get a URL for you photos first. Go to pixhost.com and sign up for an account. It's very inexpensive, and they only charge per upload. Save your photos on your computer and then upload them to pixhost. They will give you a URL ("http://...). Copy the URL and place in between the brackets. It will look like this: img src="http://url-location-of-photo". You must put this text in between < and >

If you want to post multiple photos, just keep doing the same thing w/ a space in between each bracket. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Try the method I suggested above.
  • Options
    roc50mgroc50mg Member Posts: 102
    I spoke w/my BMW salesperson (Hassel BMW in Freeport, NY)yesterday and she gave me some bogus c**p that it'll take about 10 days after the car arrives at the VPC before my car will be ready for me to pick up at the dealer. I told her that that sounds too long from what I've been hearing, and she told me that rather than make a promise that she couldn't keep (like end of June delivery she originally told me when I bought my car) she would rather have me pleasantly surprised if she told me 10 days and I got it a few days earlier. She also said that she was surprised that my car production started so late. She said it was probably because it was an AWD model that the production was delayed, which may be somewhat true, but in actuality, the car started production ahead of schedule (before week 25 as originally scheduled). I'm sure she knew that I had absolutely no chance of receiving the car until mid July, but just to sell me the car she made an empty promise. I should have known better when Rallye BMW, one of the largest BMW dealerships in Long Island told me that the earliest I would be able to get the car is in mid July. Since it was my first time ordering a BMW, I didn't know that I should have inquired about the production week of the car before ordering. At least now I know better, especially after following everyone's comment on this message board. I really hope we can take delivery of our cars by July 20th or 21st.
    P.S. I'm also the one that inquired about advice on driving stick. I practiced a couple of minutes in a small, empty parking lot the other night. I got the car going okay, but did manage to stall once or twice. I think I let go of the clutch too much too fast. Anyway, I'm going to be more relaxed when I drive the bimmer because it'll be mine to break instead of my friend's car that I worry about damaging when I practice.

Finally, anyone got any advice on handling stop and go traffic and hills for a first time stick driver? Thanks.
  • Options
    burrsrburrsr Member Posts: 255
    Although the two cars are hardly comparable, I thought it'd be fun to compare my impressions of the two, as I had promised earlier. Keep in mind that the Z3 has less than 400 miles thus far, so it is not broken-in and the engine has been kept below 4,500 rpm.

OVERALL FEEL
    The 330 is a model of refinement. Every aspect of the car reflects painstaking engineering and attention to detail. Even the effort and movement of the turn stalk controls were obviously designed to elicit a certain response from the driver. Everything ever written about the car is true; the ONLY potential design flaw is the lightness of the steering effort, which for die-hard enthusiasts, can be fixed by BMW.

The Z3 is an entirely different animal. Refinement is not top priority, nor should it be, given the car's intent. It's much more RAW -- the M-Roadster was even described as a modern Cobra in this regard. You hear every engine gurgle from the exhaust, even in higher gears. The muffler doesn't muffle much, nor does the sound-deadening material (or lack thereof), but the loud noise emitted is satisfying nonetheless. Ride is controlled but choppy feeling, due to the short wheelbase. The interior design is less flowing and more visually disruptive, but retro in feel. The level of solidity is is much less, especially given the lack of a steel roof, and the doors do not shut with the same closing-the-vault-door authority. In short, you are simply "roughing it" much more in the Z3.

There are obviously other evaluation factors (utility, space, etc.) but I focused on the ones I thought you'd all enjoy most.

PERFORMANCE
    The 330's acceleration is best described as effortless. With the Steptronic, there is plenty of power on tap at the mere extension of your right foot. Gear changes are seamless and right where you'd do it yourself if you could, both up and down. Speed is deceiving in this car.

The Z3 2.5 offers nearly identical performance. With the manual and much lighter weight, the extra 41 ponies are not really missed. I'd guess that both cars clock 0-60 times within a couple tenths of each other -- probably both in the mid-to-high 6's (I've seen 6.6 published for each). The manual Z3 actually feels more responsive, even with only 400 miles. I guess it's the more direct linkage of engine and wheels (no torque converter) at work here.

STEERING
    I never knew what I was missing steering-wise until I drove the Z3. Steering effort is very heavy compared to the 330. I have the lightest steering on the 330, which feels Lexus- or Buick-like by comparison. One finger can turn the 330's wheel, while a minumum of one hand is required for Z3 turns. Steering feel, on the other hand, is identical. Both cars communicate very clearly what the tire-road relationship is. On-center resistance is also much higher in the Z3, with very high sensitivity to steering inputs. Can almost feel go-cart-ish at times. Both cars' steering are excellent, though. Since the Z3, I am now considering getting the steering retrofit, it's such a night-day difference.

FUN
    Given a sunny, 70+ degree day, and I'll reach for the Z3's keys every time. There's nothing quite like the wind-in-your-hair, shift-it-yourself, intimate feeling it elicits. The is possibly the greatest commuter car in terms of all around safety, comfort, performance, utility, space, etc. I'd choose no other car over it for, say, a 200-mile highway drive under any conditions (except maybe the xi in wintry conditions). Both cars are two of the most eye-pleasing and easily recognizable designs available today. Although the Z3's basic platform is aging a bit (due to be redesigned in 2003), its appearance is reminiscent of true classics.

Gretl's new sister's name is Grace, by the way.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Depends on the dealer; I installed the BMW alarm in my 1995 3er and began having problems with falsing. A TSB was later issued calling for replacement of the alarm module. I offered to replace the module myself but the dealer went ahead and swapped it out under warranty. A dealer who automatically refuses to inspect a BMW approved accessory because they didn't have the opportunity to ream you for installing it is beneath contempt. Sure, they shouldn't pay if you screwed up the installation, but let's face it, items like the CD player, alarm, and UGDO are ridiculously simple to install. Sounds like veekay's dealer wants to keep their customers frightened and ignorant so that they can harvest their wallet contents on a regular basis. I bet they try to void the engine warranty if you check the oil yourself...
  • Options
    drcrdrcr Member Posts: 87
    Brave: I had my fan changed. Just do it and have peice of mind

My light blue polo matched the titsilver w/gray leather nicely when I picked up. Not intentionally - honest!

I thought that BMW was prewired for the alarm. How would plugging in a BMW alarm void the warranty.

Thanks for the post on the sticky gas. Mine too. I'll make the call and hope to address when a solution is more defined.
  • Options
    Well, I'm no professional, but I've been driving stick for the past three years, and I love it. My first stick was my last car, a 1999 Honda Accord. The clutch travel is much shorter than the BMW. Feels like my 3 clutch throw is almost twice as long. Here's my advice:

Practice, practice, practice. Every car seems to have different points where the clutch releases and the gear engages. Starting in first from a complete stop is always the hardest. Every other gear is easy. Just b/c you practice on someone else's car doesn't mean you'll automatically be good at your BMW. They are different in the feel but the principle is the same. Stalling a car basically means that you are 1) letting out the clutch too fast; 2) Not giving the car enough gas; or 3) both. You have to find the point where the clutch disengages and you want to give it gas (don't rev!) just before then to keep the rpm's up but not so much that the car lurches forward. It should be smooth. When you continue to upshift, just make sure you don't let the RPMs drop too low when you press on the clutch. Try to match the RPM level you had while in gear, and the shift should be smooth as you release the clutch.

If you're on a hill, the worst thing you can do is panic. Stalling happens to everyone at first. If the guy behind you is honking, don't worry. Just brush it off. Seriously, it won't collapse his/her world. Most people understand, anyway. Just let off the clutch slowly and keep the rpms up. You can actually keep the car still by taking your foot off the brake and keeping the rpms up a little with the gas, all this while keeping the clutch engaged. Don't do this for too long (the duration of the yellow is long enough), or you'll wear out the clutch.

Anyone, correct me if I'm giving bad advice here, but these tactics seem to work for me.

roc50mg, don't worry. It just takes practice. Get out on the local streets and then make your way to the busier streets and freeways. You won't feel totally comfortable for a couple of weeks, but you'll be just fine. Just have the mentality that you're still learning, and mistakes won't bother you so much. I couldn't drive stick when I picked up my Honda (a friend drove it before I did--ouch!). But I had to drive to work the next day, so I learned quick. Once you get the hang of it, you'll NEVER go back. Trust me.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    ...slip the clutch to hold your position on a hill. At best you'll glaze the lining. It's a real quick and easyway to but a new clutch assembly before you hit 30000 miles.
  • Options
    drcrdrcr Member Posts: 87
    If you are just changing the knob, it just pops off. Give it a yank but "don't wack yourself in the head" <- e46fanatics

drcr
  • Options
    trejos28trejos28 Member Posts: 93
    not sure about my boat. need to check it out. But I'm pretty sure mine would be heading for Houston. Great photos deepdark!
  • Options
    muzzy325imuzzy325i Member Posts: 19
    I'm not an expert stick driver, but I have owned two sticks in the past. I taught myself stick when I bought a 75 beetle as a present for my wife. I bought it 30 miles from my house and had to get it home some how (then teach my wife how to drive it - that a whole story that I won't share with right now, but we are still married), and I also owned a 97 Wrangler 4.0 with a five speed. Now I have a 325i with the 5 speed. As others have said don't be afraid to give some gas when going from a stand still into first and keep on giving to some after the clutch is released. I tend to let off the clutch either too fast and the car jerks (and I look like a fool who can't drive) or two slow and revving the engine and having to shift to second right away. It took about 2 or three days (about 200 miles) to master getting into first. What helped me was to turn the radio off open the windows and listen to the engine as you get going. Don't rely on the Tach, your eyes should be on the road (especially in stop and go). When you shift properly you will hear music from the engine and feel the response from car. Going in and out of all other the others gears was easy. Also, when I first got the car it always sounded to me like I was over revving the engine and I kept shifting early in all the gears, but once I learned that this is the how the car should sound, its a beautiful thing. Hope this helps.

Muzzy325i
  • Options
    jfedor1jfedor1 Member Posts: 39
    This was at Habberstad BMW in Huntington.
    I put a deposit on a BMW 330i to lease, my credit went through and I was approved. Then 1 day later I decided leasing wasn't for me and switched to financing a 325i. They said the had to run my credit again and tried to talk me out of financing because they weren't sure, I'd get BMW's 6.5 rate. But I figured since I was putting down 20k and not really financing much it shouldn't be a problem since I was approved for the lease. The couldn't run it while I was there, they said it was a Saturday, and the backs were too busy.

On Monday the finale manager told me that I wasn't approved by BMW, and I would have to go with her bank (EAB) at 7.1%.

I thought this might be a lie because she wanted to make more money so I filled out the BMW credit application on-line and sent it to Hassle BMW in freeport, they told me I had perfect credit and was approved for BMW N at 6.5%.

I don't know who to trust, could Hassle be saying it just to get me there. I already ordered the car and put a 1k deposit down. Its on production week 30.

Please help I'm so confused.

Josh
  • Options
    One more thing I forgot to mention. The Z3 2.5 is geared really short -- almost as short as my old GS-R. The 330 is much taller. Could be due to the Step, final drive, power-to-weight ratio, or all three. The Z3 spins (just estimating here, not going on what I actually saw) at about 3,500-4,000rpm at 80mph. Say 3,750rpm to make it easier. I know the cars and tranny's are different, but the engines are the same for the 325. How short/tall are the 325's geared?
  • Options
    If you're stopped on a steep incline, here's a trick I use that minimizes the unwanted backward travel AND does not put unnecessary wear on the clutch due to excess slippage.

With your right foot on the brake, release the clutch to JUST BEFORE the point of engagement. If the engine starts to bog, you've gone too far. Then when the light turns green, move right foot from brake to throttle and release clutch as you normally would. You will find minimal backward travel. This is because while the clutch pedal travels from the floor to engagement position, you are effectively in "neutral". Minimizing the "neutral" time in this manner minimizes rollback.

Also, I have found that in most cars' manual tranny's, for whatever reason, the clutch engagement point is closer to the floor in REVERSE than in the forward gears. Don't know why that is, but it seems universally true. Anyone know why this might be (Shipo)? Always been curious...
  • Options
    tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    By all mean, report this incident to BMW. I bet BMW won't tolerate its dealership to lie to customer.

Or you can tell your sales that you get approved through BMW with a 6.5 rate and see her response.
  • Options
    deepdarkblu's advice on driving a stick is quite good. I endorse it without any hesitation.
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Actually, I learned this offroading (where rolling back a little on a hill can mean serious trouble). If you're on a steep hill and don't want to roll back, just pull out the emergency brake. That way, your right foot is on the gas, not the brake. Slowly release the e-brake at the same time you engage the clutch. You won't slip and you won't ruin your clutch.
  • Options
    mcceriomccerio Member Posts: 11
    Guru:

I have a 330i, steel gray, 5-speed, SC, Xenon, moon roof, aluminum interior trim going to BMW of North Haven in Connecticut. It's been 182 since 7/5. I checked Wallenius' web site; they have ships leaving today (7/11) from Bremerhaven for the East Coast.

1. Shouldn't my car be on one of these ships?
    2. BMW NA said it would go to New Jersey; someplace called Port Bayune. I thought Wallenius went to New York? The BMW NA agent didn't sound too swift; I think she was clueless.
    3. What can I do to my car that won't void the warranty (it's a lease)? I'm considering aluminum steering wheel insert, aluminum shift knob, JL stealthboxes with an Alpine amp.

Thanks for any / all advice.

- MCC
  • Options
    mfeldmanmfeldman Member Posts: 140
    I've noticed that when i cruise to a stop or break from a high speed i can feel the step down shift. THe down shift is more prominent in sport mode. In contrast with my accord i don't feel any down shift; its like pushing in the clutch in a manual. Of course then accord has to downshift when you hit the gas again. I was wondering if others have noticed the diwnshifts in the 330 step. Maybe its to ensure you are in the right gear when you hit the gas.

Shipo -- I think my clicking noise at 15 mph is drive train related and will have it checked out.

Ok, here's the mistake. I accidentally left a wet chamois in my spare tire area for a few days. What is the best way to deoderize the trunk?

Braveheart: You'll love kids. Your warm spirit will only be strengthened. Last night my daughter and I took a flashlight miniglobe (earthball as she calls it) and I showed her how the earth's rotation causes day and night. It is our secret. Everyone else thinkd the sun is moving.
  • Options
  • Options
    Ths Step, when in Sport mode is designed to downshift under deceleration. If you're doing some spirited driving, this ensures you'll be in the correct gear at all times, ready to accelerate or hold a gear again. Otherwise, if you need sudden power, you'd be waiting for the transmission to downshift, which can be annoying (as you experience in your Accord). This is all perfectly normal and a desirable feature for a sport sedan. The tranny is just "thinking" like a manual driver would.
  • Options
    thanks for the pic posting instructions... unfortunately, all of the pics I have of my car are too high resolution (file sizes too large) for pixhost.com
  • Options
    emilykemilyk Member Posts: 49
    I had the pleasure of driving a Z3 2.5 loaner a few weeks back while waiting for my 330i to be detailed at the dealership. The dealer was originally going to loan me a 3.0 but didn't have one available. In any case, I must say that the Z3 was a blast to drive. I had a smile from ear to ear every time I started the engine - the sound was intoxicating. I too ordered a 330i Step, but got a manual Z3. After driving the manual Z3 for two days, I almost regretted getting a Step 330. I was going from a manual Jetta VR6 to a Step 330i and started to reminisce about how fun it is to drive a manual. However, once I got my hands behind the wheel of my 330i, I realized that I'd made the right decision. IMHO, the Step is more suitable for the refined drive of the 330i (compared to a Z3). I was also pleasantly surprised by the amount of power that the Step delivered (I'm glad I decided on the 330 instead of 325). I must say though, when I have an extra $35K to blow I will definitely add a Z3 to my garage - maybe in 2003 when the redesign is unveiled.
  • Options
    I, too, regret not having gotten the 330 with a manual, but the Z3 makes up for that! Also, as you said, the distinct personality differences between the cars makes the Step choice in the 330 more compatible. It'd definitely be a sin NOT to have a manual in a roadster! I have already settled on options for my NEXT 330 (in a few years, of course), which will definitely include the 5-speed (or will it be a 6-speed by then?) manual.

BTW, a Z3 that stickers for close to $35K can be had for closer to $30K. And technically, the Z3 is more my wife's car than mine. ;)
  • Options
    alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    That pretty much sums it up! Great picture!, very funny, I can't stop laughing! :O)
  • Options
    emilykemilyk Member Posts: 49
  • Options
    During June, there were $2,000 factory-to-dealer incentives being promoted to move Z3's out the dealers' doors. If you knew this, you could negotiate a deal for BELOW invoice, while still giving the dealer a little profit. Plus, the Z3's are later in their model cycle than, say, the 3er, so they have more "wiggle room" in the negotiating process to begin with. Not sure what current (July and beyond) incentives are...