Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    I am in the market for a 330 Ci but a friend told me about the Mercedes 320 convertible. In deciding to buy the BMW did you consider the 320 and if so, what led to the 330? I apologize if there is another board for which this question is better suited.
  • Options
    lfgpitlfgpit Member Posts: 9
    I just ordered a 2002 330xi. Any advice on a hands-free install for cellular? I have a Nokia 8800 series phone I don't want to give up, but the BMW package uses a Motorola, I think. Also, the dealer installed accessory is expensive-- over $1000. Any ideas? Is it worth the dealer install? Does Nokia have an install kit for the E46? Can you buy the BMW kit and install it yourself? Can you buy a Nokia install kit at AT&T and have them integrate the system into the BMW electronics?
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    You can easily purchase an armrest from

www.circlebmw.com

I hear the install is pretty easy.

Dealer service should be the same anywhere you take your car. Only that your local dealer may not give you a loaner if you didn't purchase from them. This can be a factor considering that the car will go in for service and warranty work a few times.
  • Options
    ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    i guess i should clarify...

the sp *will* give you more *crisp* response and better feedback, all other things being equal... that being said, it's only as good as your contact patch with the road... my point is that the good hi-perf tires will allow you to get more out of the base package (which, fwiw, isn't *that bad*, it may be "softer" than, say an e36, but it's not a buick) than less grippy and stable tires will allow you to get out of the sp... the best suspension set up in the world with inadequate rubber is gonna be inadequate, whereas an adequate suspension with really good tires is going to be pretty good... i dunno if that is clearer?

tenet1 - sure is... i even put the top down today (heat cranked WAYYYY up!)... :)

-Chris
  • Options
  • Options
    dantessdantess Member Posts: 6
    O.K. I'm supposed to go to the dealer to sign off on the paperwork tomorrow and pick up a Titanium Silver with Black Leather. Here is what's included: Premium, Bi-xenon, Heated Seats. Including destination charge and floor mats the price come to $38,605 which is $1500 over invoice price. Is this a good price? I also wanted Sport Package but no one seems to have a car with that option in stock. This car is available and ready for delivery this weekend. Would I miss out in a major way if I didn't get the SP? BTW, I can order one same as above and with SP for $1600 over invoice. I want to hear your thought on this. Thanks in advance
  • Options
    ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    i couldn't help it! it made me do it! it's so sunny and bright... plus it's almost 50 degrees... can't wait till this weekend, going to be even nicer... and 60 on monday...

-Chris

ps. golf too!
  • Options
    Depends on how badly you want the Sport seats and Wheels. The car already comes with the suspension.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    No manual in MB, MB is luxury/sport vs. BMW's sport/luxury.
  • Options
    1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    dantess: I think we just had discussion on SP/non-SP/330i Suspension, etc. Look at the last few days posts. I agree w/Tenet1, you already get the suspension w/the 330i, and pretty good all-season tires. W/out SP, you don't get the seats, the steering wheel (although this is truly a cosmetic-only item on the wheel), and the performance tires. Keep in mind that if you live in a cold winter climate, and don't have a second car, you WILL need to buy rims and snow or all season tires. This will run you from $600-1,200, depending on what kind of rims you can live with.

bill124: I love the MBs. I think they have more cache than BMW's, especially after the proliferation of the brand during the 1980's. But they definitely are less sporty and performance oriented, and say a different thing about the driver. IMO - BMW says "I'm cool, I'm successful, and I have the best "driving" car in the world. MB says "I'm cool, just a little snobby, very successful, and I have the "premier" brand car in the world". It's a different image -which one is for you?
  • Options
    john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    I remember reading about this comparison in an UK magazine. Belive it or not, they actually preferred the way MB drove. I am going to have to go back and find it and see why they did. I will post it if I find it.
  • Options
    Since I have purchased my first Bimmer, I have gotten into the habit of checking tire pressure regularly. I developed this habit after I noticed changes in the way the car handled and upon advise from my very capable BMW servic tech. I have noticed that with the OEM Conti's non-SP, the tire pressure goes down to about 26 (from 30-31) every 2 weeks, and need inflation.

With my previous Japanese cars I never even bothered to check (nothing to be proud of) and the handling characteristics never changed.

What is it about the Bimmer (or tires) that makes this happen and change the way the car behaves on the road??
  • Options
    I haven't noticed my tire pressure change at all. I assume you've measured while tires were cold. Is it on all the wheels or just one? If it's just one, you might want to get that checked out.

With regards to the Japanese cars vs. BMW, part of it could be FWD vs. RWD, bigger & wider tires on the BMW, you have a better feel of the car in the BMW, etc...
  • Options
    All 4 drop. The Service manager said that was normal for the Conti's.
  • Options
    That's interesting. I've got Conti's as well (I have SP though), and they haven't lost any pressure since early October (left rear lost a pound).
  • Options
    mlbmwmlbmw Member Posts: 11
    I am in the market for a 330i with SP, but i heard something as below.
    The sport tires wear very fast than normal one.
    1.is it true?
    2.how many mileage or how long time we need to replace the all set
    tires, anyone has experience to comparing with normal one.
    3.how much for sport tires.
    4.if i get SP, can i change to normal tires later on.
    thank you for your opinions.
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    wrjohnson: I have a 2000 323i with sport but not premium package. I couldn't believe a car like this came with no arm rest! The dealer quoted me an installed price in the low $300's. I dedcided to wait until I drove the car a while. I actually like the car without the armrest. You might want to give it try for a while like I did, but it's a personal preference.

knight13: Your dealer is correct about the European accessories. And to dim the mirror just twist the "clown's nose". I didn't learn that trick for several weeks.

mlbmw: Depending on driving habits the Z rated performance rubber will last 20-30,000 miles. Average price for these tires (17") will be $150 ea. although that can vary by brand of tire. Yes, you can change to a non performance tire, however, if you like spirited driving you won't want to. These cars, especially with the performance tires, are absolutely amazing. Yes, the tires cost more and don't last as long, but ohhh what fun (and safer except in snow) - well worth a few hundred bucks every couple of years.
  • Options
    orkwisorkwis Member Posts: 82
    I've ordered an ED 325i and have until late April to decide on a few things, so I'd like opinions on the extended service contract. My dealer will sell me the 4/50 extension for $399+tax. Clearly, you will get one extra oil change for sure, but should I expect that brakes will go in the first 50k miles? Edmunds estimates Inspection II service at around that point to be $257.52, basically oil change, filters, seals and inspect everything. The salesman suggested that the first set of brakes will probably go between 30-40k miles and the price would be more than the warranty, as much as $600 but I've heard $400-450 on this board.

What sort of real world experiences are people having with brakes and the like? If the salesman is true (duh...) it's a no-brainer, but why then would BMW offer the service if they are, for sure, going to lose money? Any thoughts would be appreciated, it seems like at worst it would be $150 extra out of pocket so maybe its not such a bad idea?
  • Options
    skctsmithskctsmith Member Posts: 2
    I just finished installing my armrest. It was not a difficult as I thought it would be.

The total cost including shipping from Circle BMW was $155.00 for leatherette (much cheaper than the $178 plus sales tax my dealer wanted to charge me). Leather will run you $30 more.

I highly recommend Circle BMW. Chris in their parts department was great to deal with. He even called me to confirm my order and answer some questions I had. Their website also included step-by-step instructions (which was a lifesaver since they were not included with the parts). The link for the armrest is http://www.circlebmw.com/parts/e46/e46-cat.htm.

Good luck.

• Options
    thatsmytoythatsmytoy Member Posts: 5
    I was shopping for a new car and my wife fell in love with a 02 MB E320 in Wedgwood Blue. She boought it 2 weeks ago. It is so smooth...a nice V6...very luxurious..wonderful car...i wanted something a bit more fun..I was set on a BMW..probably a 325 auto..almost bought one off the lot...tried a 5 speed for the heck of it...and fell in love...then i decided to try a 330ci...ooohhh....wow..a real sports car! The handling! The acceleration!! the fun shifting!! I ordered a Topaz Blue 330ci manual this week...from Cunningham BMW in San Diego...and havent been to the MB dealer since!! Is it on the boat yet?????
  • Options
    derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    Let's not forget two other highly-visible parts of the 330i SP which IMHO make the car look somewhat sportier and aggressive: the different aero package and those lovely Type 68M Wheels. For me, the wheels alone were almost worth the $1020 price of admission to the 330i SP.
  • Options
    jsc3jsc3 Member Posts: 6
    Ok, so now I've got the new silver 325 and want to keep it [non-permissible content removed] and span clean. Any recommendations on exterior cleaning?

I saw a "German car cleaning kit" in a Herrington catalog (here's the link: http://www.herringtoncatalog.com/m680.html).

Has anyone used this?

What about the getting scuffs off of the plastic parts inside (my interior is black ).?

• Options
    john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    There are some sites that will privide good tips on cleaning of your car. carcareonline is one of them.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    1johann... Today's Omaha World-Herald has ad for Markel BMW's CPO cars: "As low as 3.9% APR Available Thru BMW Financial Services."
  • Options
    kominskykominsky Member Posts: 850
    I had a similar thing happening when my car was new. In the first 4-6 months, I would need to add air fairly often. Since then, the only pressure adjustments I've had to make are explainable by seasonal temperature changes. I have the Conti Sports.
  • Options
    rkaufman1rkaufman1 Member Posts: 2
    I've just stated to look at new cars and I'm interested in the Audi A4 3.0 quattro and the BMW 330ix. Both cars were fun to drive with a nod to the BMW. Naturally, the Audi salesman had nothing nice to say about the Bimmer's all-wheel drive system: he implied that the 330ix's system was an unsophisticated system added on to satisfy the market. He felt the whole car needed to be redesigned from the ground up to be as good as the Audi. Is this just salestalk or is there any basis for these criticisms? I tend to keep a car for many years and don't want to make a mistake. Anyone have any comments comparing these two cars(including long-term reliability, maintenace problems,etc.)
  • Options
    kalagoodwinkalagoodwin Member Posts: 4
    Any of you fellas know how to keep the recycled air feature on permanently? I have the 330i 2002 and everytime i turn off the engine for more than a few minutes, the recycled air button automatically turns off...this is annoying especially when you find yourself behind a big dump truck and you get a whiff of "fresh" outside air.
  • Options
    visordocvisordoc Member Posts: 48
    The Audi salesman is correct. If 4wd is important to you (ie. you live in the snow belt), then Audi has the most experience with it and makes the best in Quattro with its Torsen rear diff. What this does is transfer the power from the slipping wheel to the others just *before* slippage occurs. Whereas BMW's 4wd version of limited slip is to use its ABS selectively on the slipping wheel *after* slippage has been detected.

Not to mention also that the 330ix suspension is raised 17mm compared to the regular susp in order to accomodate the 4wd transfer case's ground clearance, so it can't be had with the sport suspension. Whereas the Audi's sport susp can be ordered with the Quattro with fat tires making it look very sharp and purposeful.

However, in terms of quality, reliability, maintainence, the Beemer is likely to have an edge over the Audi.
  • Options
    audibuyer1audibuyer1 Member Posts: 11
    The dealer I'v been working with has told me there is a car available with everything I wanted except for Harmon Kardon system. Since I'll be able to get this sooner than if I ordered a new one with everything I wanted, I'm thinking of going for it. Does anyone have experience with the after market for speaker systems for BMW (I'll be getting a 325xi). I'll give the standard system awhile before making a final decision, but wanted input from anyone that has upgraded after purchase. Also, we're down to the final haggling, and he is telling me his "cost" for the 4 floor mats is $97. Although I still can't believe that a $30,000+ car doesn't come with car mats, I wanted to find out what other "invoice cost" is out there. Thanks for any info you have.
  • Options
    rhmassrhmass Member Posts: 263
    I am also considering buying the 325xi, but the sport wagon model. When I checked the trunk, there was always floor mats in unopened box there(it was marked floor mats on the box). I think they must come with the car. The dealer is just trying to get more profits.
    Do you find the 325xi adequate in power? Also do you mind sharing how much you are paying under the MSRP for your car?
  • Options
    genie1genie1 Member Posts: 398
    On a 56k modem, no less. Saw some MBs, Hyundais, Fiats and a Mitsu. Lancer with a double rear wing.

The food is fantastic...
  • Options
    530bmw530bmw Member Posts: 130
    It is a dealer installed option in USA, so it is up to a dealer to throw in as part of the deal. You will pay for it one way or another, it depends on how you negotiate with the dealer. If you agreed to the price but did not include floor mats as part of the deal, the dealer may not be willing to do it without adding more dollars to your negotiated price. The cost to them is $50-60 since each dealer sets a retail price it can be anything. If you do ED, floor mats come with the cars. As we all know, dealers will try to maximize the profit anyway they can.
  • Options
    sunshine60105sunshine60105 Member Posts: 129
    Is the 325I a reliable car,and does it have any history of transmission problems?

Thanks.
    sunshine60105.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    There have been numerous articles in various BMW publications like Roundel and Bimmer discussing a high percentage of automatic transmission problems in the 80,000-120,000 range. Much discussion about whether or not to vary from BMW's recommendations on routine transmission service/maintenance. Believe your's (and mine, I have a '00 323iA) is built by General Motors. GM finally using in its new Cadillac CTS.
  • Options
    wwhite2wwhite2 Member Posts: 535
    Try Crutchfield they are pretty good with applications
  • Options
    jbeckrjbeckr Member Posts: 21
    I believe that i can save close to 2k off MSRP on European Delivery of a 325i. Is this really a 2k savings? I mean, would I pay full MSRP for a 325i at a dealer?

Is it worth negotiating on the ED price?

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    hgphgp Member Posts: 11
    Folks,

I'm looking at MY02 330i at BMWUSA and it shows black plastic trim on the bumpers and sides of the car. I prefer color-coded trims and I'm just wondering if this is the case on all 3 sedans(330ci has color coded trims). Thx!
  • Options
    visordocvisordoc Member Posts: 48
    Yes, the trim on the bumper and doors on the 3 series sedan is a black plastic. I find that it gives it a character line. If you want it colour coded then maybe choose the dark blue or black colour? Or get the coupe... :o)
  • Options
    rrozen01rrozen01 Member Posts: 1
    I am about to buy a 2001 330ci coupe with 2000 miles on it. The dealer gave me a great price. He said the guy traded it in becuase he liked stick better. Then I checked CarFax and it said that the car failed its first inspection, with an emissions problem. So I checked Consumer Guides and it said that the car has passed emissions test. Should I get this car or is it a bad idea to get it? This is from a BMW Dealer. I'm not to sure what do do . Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    whichone1whichone1 Member Posts: 11
    Has anyone had any problems with their MY 2002 3-series sunroof? I am trying to decide whether I will order the sunroof with my 325i. I know there were some concerns with the sunroof switches a couple of years ago. Any comments about this or the general pros and cons of a sunroof would be appreciated.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    I dropped into a local dealer on Saturday with a friend of mine to check out the new 745i (It caught our eye driving by). I found it interesting that on the showroom floor was a 325i sedan with Steel Blue, Sand Leather, & Steptronic Transmission. The sticker on this car was $30K & change. I've never seen one equipped with so few options on a dealer floor. My thoughts on the new 7 series are for another board.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Any E46 sunroof problems have been minor. Sunroof cars are easier to sell, and also bring a premium on a trade. That said, I prefer a Bimmer without a sunroof; why add weight to the highest point in the car? As you might guess, my primary concern is street/track performance- I leave the bean counting consequences to others. That said, if you are going to keep your car less than five years, have the hole cut in the roof, as it will make the sled easier to unload when the time comes.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    At the same dealership I noticed a few 328i's with lots of goodies in exceptional condition for around the 30K mark (CPO Sticker). I like Steel Blue now.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    derprofiderprofi Member Posts: 250
    I guess a nice buzz cut and removing any baseball caps, earrings, sunglasses, etc. also helps in that area too? ;-)

But hey, NOW I finally understand why all those kids driving their coffee-can-tipped "Type-R" Civics recline their seats back so far... It's really to keep the center of gravity low and improve handling.

Seriously, I personally prefer having NO roof, but if that's not an option I'm sold on sunroofs from now on. I also haven't heard of any real problems with the factory sunroofs in the E46.
  • Options
    Many people never use them. But when I was zipping around in DC/VA this weekend, I had it open and it was great. I have had them in all my cars over the last 10 years, and they are a must have for me. It is just great during the nice sunny days. However, I doubt they do anything to the performance of the car.

Either way, I'd love this car even if it didn't have a single option in it. The sound of the engine is enough for me.
  • Options
    Sounds fishy.

Ask the dealer that they pay for you to get the emissions tested indepedantly if they deny this. Or ask that they show you a complete record of the problem and a fix if they confirm this car had a problem. Dont dump your money into something that could be a problem.
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    A nice feature for me is i can pop mine open in vent mode when the car is parked. This keeps the sitting temperature in the sun lower than it'd otherwise be, and it also vents the car out if i leave my gym bag in there. :)

dave
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    There was a recall on the therm that could effect the emmissions, if it would cause it to fail a test im not sure, good luck..

DL
  • Options
    whichone1whichone1 Member Posts: 11
    Many thanks to all who gave their comments regarding a sunroof. I still have a couple of days to make up my mind. The sunroof option is $1490 CDN here in Canada and when speaking with the sales person today, they did mention that the vehicle is a little less quiet with the sunroof installed. Having never had a sunroof and planning on keeping the car for a relatively long time, it is hard to decide whether it is worth the $1490. Thanks again
  • Options
    raavirraavir Member Posts: 64
    I would get it, cause I like to have some light in my car.