Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    platypusplatypus Member Posts: 192
    IMO, the only reason to get leather is if you want the grey or tanin red interior (not offered in 'ette). For black or tan, 'ette looks just as good now, and 3-5 years down the road, will look much better. I have a 4 year old Z3 with black leather interior, and the side bolsters are starting to show cracks. When I placed my order for the 330i, there was never a question in my mind, especially after seeing the 'ette in person. I prefer the "tighter" look of 'ette.

Plus, you save $1400 and 9 out of 10 passengers in your car will mistake it for leather anyway.
  • Options
    reubencahnreubencahn Member Posts: 102
    Do yourself a favor and forget about the Saab. My wife's leased Saab just went back after three years, and I have never been so happy to get rid of a car. Constant niggling problems, lousy service, poor interior construction, I could go on forever. My wife now has an A4 and is 1000 times happier. If you really need the extra room, consider a Passat, an A6 or a used 5 series but give the Saab a pass.
  • Options
    erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    Have not witnessed this first hand, BUT I have been told by people in-the-know that it is true that leatherette will last longer...HOWEVER, it is also true that it can get much hotter in the summertime than leather. In addition, the leatherette has a tendency to stick to your skin / clothes more than leather will. Another consideration is that for $1450 you get the entire seat and door panels covered in leather, and not just the seating surfaces. Doesn't seem like all that much $ when you consider how much of the car is going to have leather interior. Anyway, just some more food for thought.
  • Options
    ammecammec Member Posts: 12
    Does anyone have any input on the 325xi AWD wagon? Would like to hear from some owners with first hand experiences, likes/dislikes. Any comments would be appreciated. Thanks
  • Options
    ds2k1ds2k1 Member Posts: 101
    I'm really surprised at the number of people expressing satisfaction with the 'ette. Call me a snob, I guess, but when I contemplated buying a $35K+ BMW, covering the inside of my beautiful machine with vinyl seemed out of the question. I don't know about how it will wear, but the leather look and feel is awesome and the smell is incredible. Maybe I'm not a die-hard sport enthusiast, but I felt the premium package was completely worth the price because of the added comfort and sophistication it brings to the rocket I purchased. If you can afford the leather, I think it helps the BMW deliver the best of all possible worlds - extreme comfort and sophistication added to the incredible sports machine underneath.
  • Options
    Someone was inquiring as to a good dealership and salesman in the Los Angeles area. I found Richard Mitts at Nick Alexander BMW in LA to be a straight shooter who delivered a very good price. I'd recommend him highly.
  • Options
    batlantabatlanta Member Posts: 10
    3 series shipments for southeast U.S. come into port in Charleston S.C. It is therefore unlikely that these cars would go to N.J. for prep. Not sure if Greer S.C. is the exact location, but would imagine somewhere close.

btw...the BMWNA telephone number was of some assistance. They told me the ship left Germany on 3/28, and estimated pond crossing of 16 days. (hate that!). Guess it will take at least a week on ground before it slowly makes it way to the dealership in Augusta. Those Germans make a great auto, but sure take their time getting 'em over here!!
  • Options
    jeffwork1jeffwork1 Member Posts: 3
    My wife is pregnant so we are having to sell my blue 1997 Convertible 328 with gray leather and automatic transmission. We have kept this baby in the garage and treated it well. It has 66000 miles on it but is in excellent condition. Does anyone know the best way to go about selling a used BMW like this one? Please email me at spainbmi@aol.com
  • Options
    unboringuyunboringuy Member Posts: 90
    Thanks for the tip. I called the dealer who probably just would have replaced the overflow reservoir and returned the car to me, even though it overheated PRIOR to losing antifreeze. I called the service manager and told him about the post. Turns out that the fan was the problem! Apparently BMW did not issue a service bulletin even though they apparently are having a problem with a bad batch of fans.

Fan is on order...should be replaced tomorrow. Let's see....took delivery on Friday, had car for 6 hours, and dealer has had it ever since. I hope this isn't a premonition of things to come....
  • Options
    faust92faust92 Member Posts: 5
    I agree on the audio. I also own a Maxima, considering a 325 BMW in the near future. I've never heard a better factory installed stereo than on my 91 Maxima DE, and the car is 10 years old!!! For $700 you can get a very nice amp and a pair of speakers that will produce an excellent sound. I'd just get the $200 DC player (not to say that it's good, but it saves a lot of pain installing it on your own), and would pass on the AK upgrade.
  • Options
    holeinoneholeinone Member Posts: 48
    After comparing edmunds.com's pricing against bmwusa.com's Build-Your-Own, I realized that edmunds.com's pricing are outdated (e.g MSRP Premium Pkg $3,500 vs. $2,700)!! Any suggestion on where to get the up-to-date dealer invoice prices? I'd like to avoid download additional program (such as required by carpoint.com) if possible. This is making me wonder if some of the $1,500 over invoice deals that I read a lot on this board are overstated as a result?!
  • Options
    faust92faust92 Member Posts: 5
    I agree on the audio. I also own a Maxima, considering a 325 BMW in the near future. I've never heard a better factory installed stereo than on my 91 Maxima SE, and the car is 10 years old!!! For $700 you can get a very nice amp and a pair of speakers that will produce an excellent sound. I'd just get the $200 CD player (not to say that it's good, but it saves a lot of pain installing it on your own), and would pass on the HK upgrade.

P.S. This spell checking feature really sucks!!!
  • Options
    hicairahicaira Member Posts: 276
    kbb.com has the old and new prices. As you know, the new pricing is for cars produced after 3/1/01 and the kbb worksheet allows you to specify.

Sorry Edmunds.

HiC
  • Options
    larryintnlarryintn Member Posts: 103
    errickson

We have sand leatherette in our car. Last summer I had the car in for service and was given a 328i with sand leather. Temps were around 95° that day and my back was quickly wet with sweat just as it would have been on leatherette. The leather is probably a little bit better but I sure couldn't tell.

What we've done, and would do regardless of the interior choice, is to buy the BMW seat vests. We pop them on in the Spring and remove them again in the Fall since we have the heated seats. Very comfortable and much cooler than either leather or leatherette.

ds2k1

So, get leather, who's stopping you? IMO, the only reason to get the leather is if, like you, a person really enjoys having leather in their car. BMW's leather is very nice.

Many of us don't share your passion so the leatherette is a better choice. It's like no other vinyl I've ever seen.
  • Options
    holeinoneholeinone Member Posts: 48
    Thanks! HiC. Yep, I'd say the $680 (premium pkg) dealer invoice price difference before and after Mar 1 could have a lot of buyers fooled into believing that the dealer yields in for that additional amount... Could classify this as a manufacturer-led scam! But then now BMW does make fog lights, cruise control, and auto-climate free. Good for dealers I guess.
  • Options
    gus67gus67 Member Posts: 4
    I know there are 3 types: Cassette, CD, or HK.
    How does the Cassette stereo sound?
    How does the CD sound?
    Would I get the same sound from a CD-changer with the Cassette,
    as I would get from an in-dash CD?
    Does the HK have a CD or cassette?

I have read most of the msgs, and it seems like the HK does not get great
    reviews, but still a solid choice.
    I am trying to figure out if it is worth the extra $600
    in addition to the above questions.

thanks for all the help.
  • Options
    larryintn,

I did, in fact, go with the leather and I agree that it's wonderful. Much better than my past experiences with leather seats. I certainly didn't mean to criticize those who went with the 'ette, I was merely expressing my surprise that so many seemed satisfied with it and were willing to forego leather in a car of this caliber. Perhaps it's the greatest thing since sliced bread and I'm just missing the boat. In any event, you should go with what makes you happy, right?

A question to those with leather - does anyone have an opinion regarding how often the leather should be cleaned and conditioned so as to prevent the cracking some have complained about? I've only had my car about 2.5 weeks and have no idea how the leather will wear.

Thanks.
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Once a month with a good cleaner/conditioner will keep it looking good for a long time to come. I have the leather, and after 55K miles, it looks great, and i don't think it had good car early on ( i bought the car used and the leather was DRY ). I think if you take reasonably good care, 10 years later the leather will still look great. It's good quality stuff, certianly better than what's in most cars.

dave
  • Options
    emilykemilyk Member Posts: 49
    I noticed the same thing about the Edmunds pricing. You should try "kelleybluebook.com". They even have a pre 3/1/01 price vs a post 3/1/01 price. A local dealer recommended this website to me. BMW lowered their prices and changed their packages a bit for post 3/1/01 production. For example, the Harmon Kardon 12-speaker upgrade is now standard on the 330i, among other changes. I used the KelleyBlue post 3/1/01 pricing and negotiated a tremendous deal with a local dealer. The invoice prices on Kelley Blue are the real thing.

Good Luck!
  • Options
    vesuviusiivesuviusii Member Posts: 32
    C'mon, man, that's as poor a guise for a car advertisement as I've ever seen. Your post doesn't belong in this forum.

If you wanted the information you claim to seek you'd have phased your question something like this: "What's your folks' opinion regarding the best way to sell my 328 convertible?"

V
  • Options
    golfnut7golfnut7 Member Posts: 34
    I am one happy camper! I placed my order for a 325i this morning (hope my wife lets me drive it sometime). I feel much better about my decision to go with leatherette after all the recent discussion. This forum also gave me the information I needed to get what I feel like is a good deal - $1,500 over invoice. It took some doing and calls to five different dealers but I finally got one to come to my price. Now the misery of waiting 8 to 10 weeks.

Thanks to all for the open discussion on pricing, options, dealers, etc...
  • Options
    larryintnlarryintn Member Posts: 103
    Once a month? Sounds like I made the right decision by going with leatherette. :)
  • Options
    unboringuyunboringuy Member Posts: 90
    I need some help from car-saavy people. As I previously wrote, my 330xi overheated on Friday (6 hours after I took delivery). I immediately shut of the engine, and a few seconds later steam came rushing from the hood and antifreeze was on the ground. With the kind help of gr8st8, I suspected the auxillary fan, and so advised my dealer. Turns out the fan is bad, and caused the engine to overheat, resulting in pressure building up and cracking the radiator overflow reservoir.

Here's my concern: Logic tells me that this can't be good for a brand new engine that has not even been broken in. I am also worried about possible long term effects and a reduced life of the engine and other parts.

Can anyone give me some guidance or help here? What chaps me is that apparently BMW is aware of the defect, but didn't do anything about it.

Wbat should I do???
  • Options
    alpine325ialpine325i Member Posts: 209
    Congratulations! Sounds like a great deal on the price. I picked up my 325i on 2/7/01, It took 9 weeks for my car to arrive. It's the most beautiful car I've ever owned, amazing car. What colors and options did you pick? :)
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    golfnut7 - congratulations on an awesome deal!! The 8 to 10 weeks will pass by very fast and you'll have something to look forward to. BTW, I ordered my car on 3/20 and the dealer called me yesterday and said it was produced on 4/2 (I got an allocation), it shipped on 4/9, it will spend 8-10 days at sea, a week at the prep center, and should be at the dealership no later than the end of the month. That's a total of < 6 weeks since I ordered it, so you may get lucky too.

alpine325 - I wish we'd discussed audio systems more before I ordered my car. I totally believe it when you say you can get an awesome system for about the same money as a HK upgrade. Knowing what you've told us now, I would've shopped around for an MB Quart system and a 2-channel upgrade before I make a decision on the HK option. I went for the convenience of not having to deal with setting up a third-party system and at least to my ears, the HK performed much better than the standard system. If I get tired of it in a couple of years I'd want to pick your brains on an audio upgrade. BTW, the CD player is not part of the HK upgrade, it's a separate $200 option.

Leather vs. -ette - I still think the leather look more natural (it's got grain) and it sure smells better. If you take care of it, it should last as long as -ette, so it's purely a function of personal choice and how much you want to spend on it. For me it wasn't worth the price difference, though. I'm really glad we are having these discussions - I am learning a lot and having fun while doing that.

vesuviusii - good call on that poorly-disguised car ad. This is a very informative forum and we shouldn't allow car ads - they do not belong here. What's next - a dating service on the board? Come to think of it, there won't be a lack of interest.
    +++
  • Options
    drewsky2drewsky2 Member Posts: 9
    ok...so its been 4 days w/ new car...almost 1000 mi...no problems so far
    perfect
    just some goofy electronic sequences to learn, like the audio system "default" being the tuner..
    so
    1)HK now standard...great for the price
    2)Kelly does have new invoice prices, but, options like PP are same % of retail, now as b4
    3) PP has all the goodies...and, you get the leather...so be it, esp when using steel blue/gray combo...only way it comes, and, you deal w/ the wood...if you want alum...go IS 300
    4)QUESTION:
    now considering the BMW alarm...$300 part, 2hrs labor = $140....this is pre-wired...is 2hrs customary to just install a kit???
    anyone out there really know??
    they also want 1hr labor to install mudflaps
    $40 set of 4...$70 labor???
    seems high
    we're just talking nuts and bolts here, no??
    please respond
    drew
  • Options
    micgamicga Member Posts: 56
    I ordered my 325i on Feb 20th. Since then, I've been getting nothing but the run around from my dealer. You know: ordered/not ordered, prodecued/not prodecued, shippied/not shipped. As best as I can tell, my car was prodecued on March 16th and shipped about 5 days ago. It was made in SA. Any idea on how long it will take to get to Connecticut?? You guys have been more helpfull then my dealer has been, so I thought I'd throw the queation out to you guys. I don't know about you, but I find it frustratng that these dealers can't give us a more accurate delivery date considering we are paying >30K for these cars. How hard can it be for them to track the delivery dates?? It seems to me that even I could put a system in place that would accurately track the exact time of delivery (Well, maybe +/- 3 days). Any thoughts????
  • Options
    deeshurtdeeshurt Member Posts: 2
    micga,

I ordered on Feb. 17th. However I just called up bmwna and requested a status; found out that it was produced 3/8 at the dock 3/22 and not shipped as of 4/9. As for the delivery times, bmwna customer service says approx. 3 weeks to get to jersey and a week after that you'll get it.

As for the tracking, well you would assume since ups, fedex, dhl, and now the freaking US post office allows package tracking. How hard could it be for bmw to do a similar, but albeit smaller tracking system?

-Denis
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Please do let us know. I am seriously considering it myself. I think it is the easiest way to improve the performance of your car but there is more I need to find out about it before I put one in my car.
  • Options
    You're right! The HK upgrade doesn't include the $200 CD player, sorry everyone, my mistake. I also ordered the HK upgrade and it sounds really good, alot better than BMW's standard system, but I like a little more power and warmth in the midbass region, just a personal preference. The thing I like about MB quart is that they made 2 types of specific sound sets for the 3 series, and of course their award winning sound. I've heard their Q series in other cars like Acura, Honda, etc.. but I have yet to hear the 325.20's in the BMW. The 325.20 3 way system for BMW's is $570. Amplifiers are usually a dollar a watt, so a 100watt x 2 is about $200 to $250, ones with audiophile grade components inside are about twice as much but will give you a cleaner and stronger signal with more clarity. :)
  • Options
    gr8st8gr8st8 Member Posts: 33
    I don't know if you can track the latest status of the ship, but I do know of a way to find out more information about the ship (i.e. the port it departed from/ will be arriving at, the official departure and arrival date, etc.)

Call BMWNA at 1-800-831-1117, tell them your production number, ask them the Voyage number and the boat name that is carrying your car.

After you obtain these, go to www.wlna.com, go to vessel schedule and from there you can search by port or vessel.
  • Options
    micgamicga Member Posts: 56
    gr8st8 and deeshurt - Thanks alot for your responses. I called BMWNA and it turns out that my dealer was wrong once again. My car arrived on the dock on March 22 but has not been shipped yet. However, a ship is leaving at the end of the week. I should get my car by the end of the month. Thanks agin for your help. Do you guys know if 325s come with the chrome tip exaust pipes or is this feature only on the 330s??
  • Options
    fschneckfschneck Member Posts: 5
    difficult decision-need advice,pros & cons.please reply.
  • Options
    This site is great! The info. shared by everyone is fantastic.

I was having trouble getting shipment info. on my new 330i. Per someone's suggestion, I called BMWNA (800-831-1117) with my VIN #. BMWNA gave me the Vessel Name and Voyage #. I went to the www.wlna.com (shipping co.) website...and voila! The boat with my car left Germany on 3/28, and will arrive in Charleston, S.C. tomorrow, 4/12. (I even called the shipping line customer service office in Charleston to confirm arrival).

O.K., so I'm obsessed...but look at the great information I found!
  • Options
    gus67gus67 Member Posts: 4
    I asked the dealer if I can get a cassette and an in-dash CD and he said no.
    If the HK comes with a Cassette, and the DC is separate, can I get both?
    Basically, I want to have both the cassette and the CD (not a CD changer).

thanks
  • Options
    aftimaftim Member Posts: 2
    I recently placed my order for a 325I. Due to some things I've been reading I'm now questioning whether I should have ordered it with automatic transmission and AWD.

I enjoy driving a car with manual transmission, but what does everyone think about the city driving with it? Does anyone with manual regret not getting auto?

Also, it looks like I'm headed to the Saint Louis area. While the weather is not horrible they do get some winter storms. Should I consider AWD or do those of you without it think the RWD can handle the occassional storm?

Any input appreciated. I have a couple of weeks still in which I can make changes to my order.
  • Options
    lewparkerlewparker Member Posts: 28
    Hi guys,
    I was offered 1500 over invoice, plus 200 advertising fee, and mats for 95. The car is a 325i with pp, leather, cd, xenons, and metallic paint. My questions are:
    My salesman didn't seem as though he could come down from the advertising fee or throw in the mats free. It is about 300 more than I wanted to pay, but the dealer is conveniently located, and I don't really feel like slinking in there to the service department knowing that I bought the car elsewhere to save 300, but still trying to get a loaner. Should I try to get them down, or jump on it. What do you guys think?

Does anyone have Steel Blue Metallic, and how do you like it? How do you think that would look with grey leather? How do you think that would look with sand leather?

Does anyone have the cold weather package, and if so are you pleased with it? I originally had it in my plans, but now I am having second thoughts. The only thing I really might need is heated seats. Anyone have heated seats that think they are a must? Anyone not have them that is kicking themselves for not getting them?

Alot of questions, I know, but I'm very close to ordering this car, and I'm sort of freaking out on a couple of things.

However, there have been some really cool posts lately re: HK upgrade and invoice pricing at kelly blue book. First, I was leaning toward the HK upgrade until I found out about the MB Quart package. I was the proud owner of a pair of MB Quart CS218s in an old truck. I also had an Orion 2 Channel 100 watt power amp, and I can personally attest to the fact that this system was superb. There was excellent bass response - I don't think a subwoofer would be necessary with this setup. So I've definitely decided to pass on the HK and go with the MB Quarts. I still have the Orion amp, so I think I'll be good to go with the Quarts.

Thanks for reading, and any input would be greatly appreciated.

Lewis Parker
  • Options
    You cannot get the HK with the in-dash CD AND cassette. The only way to get both CD and cassette with HK is to add the CD changer separately. (The HK comes with cassette unless you add the CD in-dash...which replaces the cassette.)

By the way, HK changes nothing about the standard in-dash audio/tuner as it relates to CDs or cassettes. The HK system includes upgraded speakers and amplification (12 speakers vs. standard 10), additional subwoofers (2), higher audio power vehicle-speed-dependent equalization, and patial-enhancement switch.

HK is standard on the March 2001 production 330s. No longer additional $675.

And, for those of you who don't notice much of a difference in the standard system and HK...perhaps you should have another listen. Big difference in sound quality.
  • Options
    Several of you have voiced concern about having your BMW serviced by a dealership you didn't buy from....and the perceived notion that you can't get a loaner car from said service dealership.

The Service and Sales departments are run separately. Service consultants, managers, etc., are incentivized on an entirely different scale. The service people generally don't care where you bought your car. The service department is a profit center for dealerships. Noone should have any problem getting a loaner car from a service department (assuming the specific service department offers them in the first place) irrespective of where you purchased. Just ask.
  • Options
    golfnut7golfnut7 Member Posts: 34
    I ordered the Alpine white 325i with sand leatherette, premium package, automatic transmission, HK upgrade and CD. I got the dealer to throw in the floor mats and paid $1,600 over invoice including some silly $100 processing fee. I felt weak at the moment and let them slip that in. Based on what the other four dealers i had talked to would offer and what I read on this message board, I felt pretty good about the deal. The salesman was a pretty nice guy as well.

Thnaks for the helpful info along the way.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hey Tim,

Don't sweat it, the car you ordered should be just fine in traffic and snow. I have a 1999 328i with the 5-Speed and I live in the New York metro area, I get plenty traffic and this last winter I got plenty of snow to drive on.

In traffic, the clutch is fairly light so you should not get foot cramps or the like. The only problem with the manual tranny and heavy traffic is the sound system, specifically, the car and engine are fairly quiet, and the tunes can be made to be quite loud. If for instance, I am playing "The Sky Is Crying" by Stevie Ray Vaughn, I have to be very attentive to the tachometer, otherwise, I sometimes find that I am driving like someone who is just learning to drive a stick (jerk, lurch, stutter, stutter, stall, OOPS!).

As far as snow, take it easy, in heavy traffic or hilly roads, DO NOT turn off the traction control. I tried this in about 6" of snow last winter on a fairly steep grade, and the car snapped into a spin so fast that I was barely able to catch it before I wound up in the ditch.

Have fun with your new toy.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    erricksonerrickson Member Posts: 130
    Well done! I found an out-of-state dealer who quoted me $1500 over invoice (Richard Foard, Moss Motors) and the local Houston dealer was scrambling for a comeback after he had non-chalantly told me he would not budge off of msrp.

...but...but...uuuuhhh...you won't get a loaner from us when you bring it in for service...you will have to rent a car, and that cost is going to add up. I've got your rental!
  • Options
    hdsurti1hdsurti1 Member Posts: 2
    How long do bmws last?..based on ur own experiences...
  • Options
    emilykemilyk Member Posts: 49
    I tried talking my dealer down on the advertising cost. They quoted me $305 for a DAG fee. He wouldn't budge on this. However, I was able to talk him down on his markup (down to $1200 from $1800). He also threw in the car mats. If the dealer markup comes close to 5% over invoice or less, then you got an average deal. Anything 4% and less is a really good deal in my opinion. Convenience is a huge factor so maybe you could try getting a quotation from another dealership and if it's less than your current quote, then present it to your local dealer and see if he can match it. Make sure that you present the second quotation in writing, or it's not worth their consideration.

I also ordered a Steel Metallic Blue with gray leather. I think it's absolutely gorgeous. I saw one on the lot and the two colors compliment one another very well. I don't particularly like the sand leather because the cool tone on the outside clashes with the warm tone on the inside. But again, it's all left to individual tastes and interpretation. I also ordered the heated seats, separate from the cold weather package. I live in California so I probably won't need it that much, but I'm just preparing for those cold winter mornings. This is especially helpful if you have leather seats, as leather is always hot in the summer and cold in the winter.

Good luck!
  • Options
    Cool, I have the exact same car! When I went to order my car they didn't have an Alpine white on their lot or inside the dealership, so I pretty much ordered it sight unseen. When I picked it up 9 weeks later, it was much more beautiful than I had ever imagined! Very "happy" looking with the white and sand. The premium package looks great with this color combination, lots of class, especially at night when the interior is all lit up. The upgraded lighting adds that extra touch of class. My deal was $1900 off MSRP but had to pay for the floor mats and a $200 DOC,MACO,whatever they want to call it fee. Plus I had to pay $3500 for the premium package at that time, and $260 for the fog lights. Good luck with your new car! The countdown begins :)
  • Options
    gr8st8gr8st8 Member Posts: 33
    micga:

To the best of my knowledge, the chrome exhaust tailpipes are only available for the 330i/xi models.

unboringuy:

Found yet another article that might somewhat help you. Feel free to check it out:

http://members.aol.com/agspeed/overheating.htm

• Options
    hippo_at_workhippo_at_work Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of getting a 325i with the sports package. Is the sport seat powered or manual?? And is the cruise control standard or optional? I've seen different info on different websites.

Also, I'm debating whether to get the 4WD option. I live in the NE, does it perform much better on snow than the RWD?

Thanks in advance for any info.
  • Options
    mrpeltynmrpeltyn Member Posts: 21
    Greetings Everyone...I am getting ready to buy a new 325i, and have found these message boards to be great information. Here's my story...I have been comparative shopping dealers, and the best deal I can get so far is a price of $33,495 on a car with an invoice of $31,845. The car is Titanium Silver Metallic W/Black Leather, Sport & Premium Packages, Auto, and In-Dash CD (stock sound system). Who seems to think this is a good deal, or could I do better?? I also have a few miscellaneous questions:

How important is it for the car to be produced from Germany as opposed to South Africa?

Is the standard sound system okay? I hear that the HK system is only important if you have a convertible.

Is it non-negotiable on the MACO & Training fees?

Thanks for anyone who can offer advice...
  • Options
    motorcity3motorcity3 Member Posts: 72
    Hello everyone,

I am planning on purchasing a 325i withe the sport package. I live in Michigan and I am wondering how bad the 4WD 325i with sport package
    would be in the snow. Do I definitely need to buy snow tires or can I make it through with the 225/45 17''s? If I do need to get snow tires do they make them for 17'' rims? I was on tirerack.com the other day and I had trouble finding snow tires for 17'' rims. I can only find them for 16'' rims. I rather not have to pay for new rims when I get snow tires. Any information would be very helpful.

Thank you.
  • Options
    willimjowillimjo Member Posts: 73
    If you decide to get snow tires (which I believe you'll need, the high performance tires are not at all good in snow), you should seriously consider having the snow tires mounted on separate wheels (16"). The cost and time required to get the different tires properly re-mounted and re-balanced every six months will cover the cost of the wheels.

In my experience, it is not unusual to get a less than perfect balance job, requiring it to be re-done or live with greater vibration and tire wear. And those high performance tires are too expensive to let them wear prematurely. Once you get your tire/wheel combination balanced properly, you really don't want to be messing with it again with the change in season.