Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,438
    I've been advised many times that when it comes time to sell your car, many people equate BMW as a luxury car with having power seats. So it might behoove you to splurge for the $945 (although it is $945 you could probably spend elsewhere). If you're leasing, then by all means get the manual seats.

Personally, I like manually adjustable seats better because the seats slide back and forth quicker.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    psotopsoto Member Posts: 4
    I have the manual seat adjustment for my 02 325. I figured that I hardly, if at all, adjust my seat on any of my cars since 99.9% of the time I am the only driver so why should I pay anything extra for something I hardly use.
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    I have the sport seats in my E36/5 and have never wished for power seats; they just add more weight and complexity. I'm the sole driver so I don't need to adjust them very often. OTOH, the memory seats on my wife's E39 come in handy since we both drive that car. If it were me, I'd get the manual seats and put the extra $$$ towards heated seats or xenons.
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hello gang,

Just checking in to say "Hey". ;-)

Well, the move from NJ to NH is complete (we only have 300 more boxes in the basement to unpack!), and I am currently banished to dial-up purgatory, that is until Adelphia finishes upgrading their network in our town and offers us Cable Modems next month (I hope).

Anyway, glad to see so many of y'all still hashing it out. ;-) Given the time of the year, I am sure the Winter/All-Season/Performance tire debate has happened at least twice since I left off. FWIW, I am currently working only 5 miles from home, so, this winter, I may leave the Michelin Pilot Primacys on my car and buy a set of cross country skis or a snowmobile for the heavy days. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Glad your move went well. We were getting worried about you.

Yep, the tire debate has gone on several times. :)

Hope all is well with you, your family, and your 5er. :) (staying on topic)

-Paul
  • Options
    yes, the sticky pedal would be the notchiness you are describing. Check out posts 18918 and 18951 for part numbers and more information.

As for how long it took, they had it fixed in about 20 minutes or so (I also had them turn on the DRL's and a couple of other minor things that have been bugging me). Total time at the dealer <1 hour.

-Paul
  • Options
    glad to see you're doing OK in NH!

What tire debate? LOL!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    ccotenjccotenj Member Posts: 610
    nope, no debate there. most everyone has come around to the correct (i.e. my!) point of view...

-Chris
  • Options
    brave1heartbrave1heart Member Posts: 2,698
    Welcome back! Glad to hear that everything went well with the move. We'll have to do more back-to-back comparos now that we are neighbors. If not, I'll probably run into you at one of the autoX events or driving schools next year. NHIS is great, you should give it a try.
  • Options
    dolivettedolivette Member Posts: 17
    Hi all-
    I was offered lease deal on a 2003 325 xi with NO options (on a tight budget). The deal is $377 per month, $2000 down ($4000 DAS for taxes, fees, etc.) and a residual of $18,900 (62%). Does this sound like a good one? Thanks.
  • Options
    topspin627topspin627 Member Posts: 67
    Thanks for the data. It was very interesting. I called my dealership to make an appointment for the "fix". They told me that my vin # was not part of the "recall" for this so they would have to check out if there is the problem. I don't know if this makes sense or not as I didn't know there was a recall. They want me to bring it over first and then they would order the parts. I'm not thrilled about 2 separate trips. It seems to me they should have the parts in stock and then when I bring it there they can just do the job. I think I'll talk to the supervisor there tomorrow. I did lease it from them. What do you think of the way they're handling this?
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    ErickPl,

No need to worry, it's just that the load of stuff on the "List" has been so intense that I have not even had the chance to get on the net, that is, with the exception of stuff related to work or the new home. Unfortunately, that pushed the TownHall so far down the list that I couldn't even see it. ;-(

NycCarGuy,

Thanks!

CCoteNJ,

Grin! ;-)

Brave1Heart,

Yup, it sorta looks like a swaparoo is going to have to happen sometime before the snow flies and I am relegated to driving a Ski-Doo. ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    idahodougidahodoug Member Posts: 537
    grilles from the current generation 3 Series? A buddy has an absolutely drop dead gorgeous iX wagon in black and I'm going to put a 'clear bra' on it for him. Normally, I cut around the grilles, but wanted to do his this way since he's a fanatic owner and all.

In looking closely at it, there appear to be two attaching systems going on. The chrome grilles are attached to a black plastic structure, and the black plastic structure is attached to the hood opening - both with those finicky clips. Should I remove the chrome grille clips, or the clips that hold the black plastic structure to the hood? Seems pretty stoutly held in there and I don't want to do too much prying and pulling unless I know it's the right way to do it. Thanks in advance!

PS - I'm over from the Cruiser and Subaru boards.

IdahoDoug
  • Options
    dukehouston2dukehouston2 Member Posts: 36
    I'm Looking to replace the plastic rear window of an otherwise pristine '97 328I Conv. Top is still in good shape, any ideas or options in LA area of So. Cal or/ O. County? Appreciate the input

Duke
  • Options
    1pierce1pierce Member Posts: 284
    Sorry if I never called.

I've been really busy - I renovated my kitchen, by myself, and have been working. Besides, somebody said something that offended me awhile back, and I stomped off to stew for a while, drive my car, and form my own impressions of it. Here are some of them:

What I love:

1. The engine: I don't know how to describe it, but it just doesn't get any better than this.
    2. The transmission: I drive it about 60% in manual mode, and 40% in "D". I almost never use "S" mode - what's the point? If you want to drive hard, use manual. If you want to relax, use D. I've gotten good enough at understanding how the manual mode works that it feels almost like a real manual to me without a clutch (which is the piece of hardware that exposes those of us that don't shift too smoothly under pressure in a real manual). In manual mode, it also does the routine downshifting for me at stops, and it won't stall if you make a mistake. I just think this transmission is the best of all worlds, and a lot of fun.
    3. The Blend: of luxury and sport is perfect. The car is a luxury car (quiet, smooth, well appointed, tasteful), with the soul of a sports car, and fluid handling. I wouldn't trade my setup for an M3.
    4. The brakes: Again, too good to be true. You can't appreciate them until you spend some time in your other car, and then come back to the BMW.
    5. The fact that, no matter where I go, everybody wants to talk about my car. This ain't no Maxima, baby.

What I like alot less (admittedly, some very minor):

1. I think I have the notchy gas pedal. I only feel it when the weather is really hot - so I may just wait until Spring, and if it comes back, get it looked at then. I'll bet it is more of an annoyance with manual transmission.
    2. The HK is just not up to my standards. I tried so hard to love it, but its way inferior to my Bose unit in the Maxima. I'm used to it, though, and it is "acceptable". I still consider it worth the money though - I can't imagine how much I'd hate the base stereo.
    3. There is no good way to attach a trunk net.
    4. The touring tires give up a bit too easily. I'm sweating blood on whether or not to upgrade to a stiffer sidewall at 15-20,000 miles. I don't drive hard much anymore though, so I hate to detract from the ride or quiet. Its a tough call, only I can make.
    5. Brake dust and outgasses on interior of windows. What can I say? I just have to clean them more often.
    6. The G35 coupe is really beautiful. I just have to keep telling myself - been there, done that.
  • Options
    Glad to hear you're enjoying your car!

Good luck renovating your kitchen!

• Options
    locke2clocke2c Member Posts: 5,038
    No highs, no lows... must be Bose! :-D

Marketing really can make something of nothing.

-Colin
  • Options
    jpnwdcjpnwdc Member Posts: 42
    I bought a 2002 325i a few weeks ago, and all I can say is I'm in love. After driving a Saab 9-3 for three long years (it was leased), I enjoy driving again.

I have the sand leather seats, and I want to keep them looking new. Anyone have any recommendations? BMW sells a leather care kit for $18. Anyone try it?

Thanks.
  • Options
    tenet1tenet1 Member Posts: 354
    The sticky pedal will become more apparent in the hot weather as you said and will get really annoying when you are aware. with the cold weather now I cannot feel it that much but I am getting it replaced tomorrow with the annual oil change. It only takes about 20 minutes.

I agree with your assessment of the Step, it is ceratinly good to have a choice, even though I shift 70% of the time and am in "S" mode for the rest.

The tires suck!

Will keep you guys posted on my fix.
  • Options
    There is no recall for it. There IS a TSB on it, at least my dealer said that.

As for the bring it in to verify, this is what my dealer did too. The Service Manager said something to the effect that some parts are closely watched and these are some of them. I'm not sure how true it is, but that was what I was told. When I called to notify them of the problem, they were aware of this issue, but I still had to bring it in, even though I gave them the part numbers from brave1heart (manual tranny).

At this point, I could be mad about it or just resign myself to the fact that it is at least done and they fixed it VERY quickly once I brought it in the second time. It gave me the chance to do a couple of things while it was there. If you can time it so that they can do it at a service interval, do it that way.

-Paul
  • Options
    That's why there's no recall on it. It's a lot like the steering retorfit - BMWNA did that for free to appease its most vocal enthusiasts.
  • Options
    mr323mr323 Member Posts: 30
    I've now put 5K miles on my 02 325. Haven't used a drop of oil, happy to report, and the car is always a joy to drive. I've heard a lot about notchy gas pedals, but nothing about notchy clutches. Mine seems a little sticky first thing in the morning, when it's cool (but not that cool--this is Tempe, AZ). It goes away with a little use--3 or 4 shifts, maybe? Anyone else feel something like this?

Also noticed much smoother shiftinh with the a/c off and in increase in mpg (according to the on-board computer, whatever accuracy that provides) from about 21.5 mpg to around 24. This is stop-go driving in a modified city context: "modified" because on our wide, striaght roads one goes about 50 mph between lights spaced roughly at the half-mile.

Happy motoring!

Ed
  • Options
    twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    Did you get your intake yet?
    Curious to hear your impressions.
  • Options
    dave330idave330i Member Posts: 893
    I have the same shifting issues during the colder mornings as well.
  • Options
    Not yet. I ordered it over 10 days ago and I am surprised it hasn't arrived yet. I just sent Kenny an e-mail. How long did yours take to get there? My RD strut tower brace arrived a week ago - I can' believe how light it actually is! Hopefully I'll get the CAI by tomorrow so I can install them this weekend. I am a little apprehensive about the whistle - lately I tend to listen to the engine like 95% of the time and I like what I hear. I want more of that sound and I hope the whistle won't spoil it.
  • Options
    mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    Perhaps is my computer?

Does it work for you guys?

I was trying to jump to msg# 18918 in order to write down the parts numbers for the sticky pedal fix :(

Just curious
  • Options
    primera_gteprimera_gte Member Posts: 7
    I would like to know if anyone in Socal has bought a used 323ci recently. If so, what price and any dealer recommendations?
  • Options
    ipatty13ipatty13 Member Posts: 47
    The MSG# GoTo function partially works on my computer--it's off by a few hundred messages. (I had to request message 19,600 to get 18918). Here you are:

If anyone is suffering from the "sticky pedal" syndrome, I highly recommend you contact your dealer for the fix. My receipt shows 2 parts as follows (this is for a step equipped car not sure if it is the same for a stick)
    35-40-6-762-480 Pedal Module
    35-40-6-756-720 Adaptor Plate
  • Options
    ipatty13ipatty13 Member Posts: 47
    The following link at Autospies has a picture of "the new look for BMW Navigation systems." Does anyone know of which Series this picture was taken? The flip-up option looks great IMHO.

<http://www.imakenews.com/autospies/e_article000081193.cfm>

-Steve

• Options
    john01john01 Member Posts: 246
    That is an interior shot of the new Z4
  • Options
    325i2002325i2002 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks everyone on this board, been reading this board for a month or so now. I learned a lot from all of you.
    Anyways.. got my 02' 325i, steel blue, black leather, automatic, premium package, xenon.
    all for $35,100 out the door (8.25% sales tax and CA DMV fees.) Good deal?
    Oh they also gave me floor mats and wheel locks.
    I show the guy how to program the clown nose, he didn't think it was possible, so I show him the instructions I got from here, and we did it together. He was shocked when it worked and I was happy. I asked him if I want to reprogram anything in the next few weeks, if he would help me, said he would do it for free. overall very happy with the dealer and the car.

One question for you guys, how do I know if my gas pedal is sticky? Don't have anything to compare it to, its hard to tell. I want to do it before BMW calls, so the salesman would do everything to help me. :)

Thanks for all the help
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    For an explanation of how the Go To thing really works you can read this post.

Be forewarned that it's complicated, unintuitive and pretty much a pain all the way around.

Please don't shoot the messenger. :)
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    As we say in the computer industry - it's intooitive to the end-user. :) It's easy, all we need to know before hand is the absolute number of the post we want to jump to. (rolling eyes)
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
  • Options
    rshaw1655rshaw1655 Member Posts: 11
    You'll know when the gas pedal is sticky. It will not be smooth; it will fell "notchy" almost like it's on a ratchet. Sometimes it's only minor, but when it's hot it's worse. I found it most noticeable when trying to back up a slight grade. It was difficult to vary my speed (power) smoothly.
  • Options
    gwunjgwunj Member Posts: 26
    A long while back, I remember some people talking about a lubricant for the rubber window gasketing. When I close my door, I get a deep squeak as the window seals. What was the name of that lube? Thanks!

Glenn
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    Try BMW's Rubber Care, commonly known as Gummi-Pfledge- http://www.unofficialbmw.com/all/interior/all_gummi_pflege.html .
  • Options
    dolivettedolivette Member Posts: 17
    Is it possible to cancel a BMW factory order prior to taking delivery?
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    My wife's '00 323iA has 36,300 miles on it. Went into service 8/00. Wondering if she needs a new battery.

Her battery appears to have died this afternoon. I wasn't there. No electrical power. She needed a jump to start. She drove back home about 30 miles. No battery charge light. But when I looked at the battery in the trunk, the battery indicator light is black (not green or yellow). Anyone had to replace their battery in just 2 years or 36,000 miles?
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    riez, I've had my 323 for almost 3 years. Battery has never given me a problem. Although I've heard bad things about BMW batteries. Unless it's free, I would get another brand if you have to replace it.
  • Options
    abcnycabcnyc Member Posts: 101
    I'm getting ready to apply Klasse to my 300i for the first time. Does anyone know if you are supposed to use the Klasse on the plastic bumpers ?
  • Options
    gwunjgwunj Member Posts: 26
    Thanks. Quite an interesting name. I remembered that a little tube was supposed to last for a long time and I'll have to get some the first time I go back to my dealer. Maybe I'll get my accelerator fixed at that time as well. It's been a slight annoyance, but is barely noticeable, now that the temps have dropped.

Glenn
  • Options
    jean7of9jean7of9 Member Posts: 192
    BMW Canada web site provides the following info to The 03 330xi stereo system:
    1) In-Dash 6 CD Changer in the glove box.
    2) Harman Kardon LOGIC7 Surround Sound with a power of 420W. and 13 speakers.

I do not remember having read these specs for the 02 model. Can anybody confirm whether it is a totally new system (that's what the web site claims)or just a neo description of the previous system.
    Jean
  • Options
    The first thing that impressed me about RD's strut brace is its light weight. The brushed aluminum looks cool too, except that there is no need for the lettering to be that huge.

It took me a little over an hour to install, although someone more skilled than me and esp. someone with all the right tools could probably do it in about 15-20 min. I have a newly-found love for pliers - they come in very handy where the 17 mm wrench could not be angled to reach far enough. I wish I had an 8mm hex wrench too but two pairs of pliers are almost as good ;o) I had to jack up the car because that was the only way I could align the allen bolt with the tube's ears.

At low speed (< 30-40 mph), you cannot tell the difference when going in a straight line. However, throw the car into an S-curve even at low speed and it feels much flatter and composed. It does not plow nearly as much and even if it ends up plowing, it recovers faster than before. At medium speed (50-80 mph), you cannot tell the difference unless the road is less than perfect. In that case, even if your butt can't tell the difference, the increased feel in the steering wheel, some new and some long gone rattles, and tiny vibrations in the rearview mirror will definitely help you tell the difference :o) At very high speed, the car feels more composed but again, the major difference is when you throw it into an S-curve. The strut brace should come in very handy for next year's autocross season. Oh, with the improved handling, my 325 is beginning to feel a little underpowered, so the ECIS CAI that's in the mail should help alleviate that issue ;o)
  • Options
    mr323mr323 Member Posts: 30
    OK, please don't holler if this has been covered somewhere on the board, because I can't remember seeing it.... What do folks use to remove road tar and other miserably sticky things that cling to lower body panels and don't readily wash off? I'd like to remove the mess without damaging the finish.

Thanks and best wishes,

Ed
  • Options
    nerdnerd Member Posts: 203
    Our cars here in Texas collect a lot of tar. I have found that waterless hand cleaner (the kind without pumice!) is very effective in removing tar. I just smear it on, let it dissolve the tar for a few minutes, hose it off, then wash and wax the affected area. I never have had any finish damage. It works best if a little sun shines on it while it works.
  • Options
    tcn2ktcn2k Member Posts: 277
    I use the turtle tar etc remover that says it doesn't remove wax. But right after i use that on certain area, i reapply the touch of klasse just to make sure.
  • Options
    35-40-6-762-480 Pedal Module
    35-40-6-756-720 Adaptor Plate

Those sound right for the step. I think brave said the pedal module was actually 35-40-6-762-481 for the manual. I will check my invoice tonight and let you know for certain what they put on my car.

-Paul
  • Options
    mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    Muchas Thank you!

I do have a 5-speed manual, please let me know erickpl

Again, thanks!
  • Options
    jpierce26jpierce26 Member Posts: 60
    Hi all,

I am about a month away from making the big move to purchase a new 2003 330XI with PP, SP, CWP, Xeon, and NAV. I live in Rhode Island, and was wondering if anyone had a good experience with a dealer in the area. I am willing to travel as far as a couple of states away in all directions.

I have had some real bad experiences with a couple of dealers in the area, so I was hoping to travel a bit.

Also, does anyone know whether I will be able to walk into a dealer and buy a car, or will I have to order it? I have been out of touch for a bit.

Jeff Pierce
    Providence, Rhode Island.