Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Congrats on your purchase!
    Just curious--- how did you overcome your concerns about the reliability of BMWs? Did leasing alleviate this, or do you plan to buy this car outright at the end of term?
  • Options
    fredmcmurrayfredmcmurray Member Posts: 215
    Well, he wants to get a good deal on the airfare, so he doesn't blow his ED discount. :)
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    When faced with a deal that requires i only give BMW 700 duckets in interest over 3 years I decided I'll roll the dice. Good grief this car blew away everything I drove under 40k. The closest legit contender was the G35 and it lacked the poise, smoothness, refinement, grace and sexiness of the 3.

If the car is a lemon, yep the lease saves me. If it turns out to be rock solid I have a good idea I'll keep it. Also if Bangle messes up the 2006's I'll have a good rationale for keeping my current car. At this point it'll be tough to ever go back to FWD, poor handling and middling power. I have seen Nirvana and it has an M in the steering wheel. :)
  • Options
    kdshapirokdshapiro Member Posts: 5,751
    Ahmen to the "M".
  • Options
    fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
  • Options
    How do I hate humanity? Let me count the ways.

Last night a friend and I went to a movie in La Jolla (unusual for us but a specific film was showing there). After the movie I jetted home oblivious to what must have happened in those 3 hours away from my car.

This morning I drove to work, parked, attended work and drove home. As I pulled my garbage cans up the driveway my eyes fell on a weird shadow low and in the middle of my 330i's rear bumper. Nah, a trick of light. My pace quickened though as the "shadow" didn't leave as I closed toward the garage. As I reached the apex of the driveway my heart raced, rage and confusion welled up inside of me.

That's not a shadow, someone hit my car! Dead center, low (beneath the black bumper line) a scrape a good foot long ripped across the car. how? When?

I distinctly recall seeing the back of the car after work yesterday and admiring the color. As we left my carfor the movies , parked in a disabled spot with my placard, my friend gazed back at the car with me and she commented on the color. No mark.

After the film we approached from the front though. I parked in my garage last night, then off to work today never going near the rear of the car. At work I parked in a disabled spot safely stashed far away from the other cars. Or so I thought. For someone to strike my car's bumper at work he'd have to cross a good 40 foot gap. not likely.

It must have happened at the theatre. Five days old and already a cruel member of society has marred my poor car. :(

Off to BMW tomorrow to see if they can do a repair. If not, I have an appointment monday with a body shop guy my salesman suggests.
  • Options
    That really stinks. I hope you and the insurance company get a quick and painless resolution. People just don't seem to care about others property anymore.
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    I'm just curious to know: How many of you own both the current-generation 3 and 5 Series cars together? If so, have you ever noticed the difference in the fasten belts/ignition buzzer or chime?

Here's what I've noticed: In the new 3s and X5s, you have a Honda-like beep for the buzzer. In the 5s, you have that gentle, traditional BMW chime that was well-known in the '80s and '90s. What do you guys think? I don't know about the new 7s because I haven't been in one yet. I like the chime rather than the beep.
  • Options
    riezriez Member Posts: 2,361
    blueguydotcom... Don't take it too hard. Just one of life's little unpleasantries. You'll get her fixed and looking like new in no time! And by then this situation will be fading in your memory. (One of my cars came out of the body shop last week after $1,700 in hail damage. She looks like new. If it isn't one thing, it is another. Nature can be equally cruel.)
  • Options
    jrosasmc... You've got me curious. Almost in a Seinfeld sort of way. Odd that you mention this issue. In all the times I've been in my 540i6 and my wife's 323ia, can't say I remember what any of the buzzer/chimes sound like. Must be because I'm keyed to listening to the sweet sound of the engines turning over? I'll have to check it out tomorrow.
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,439
    Ouch man. I feel your pain. Last week I parked my Prelude at work and noticed there were 2 new zig-zagged stripes along my hood. Somebody decided to key my hood from headlight to headlight. But 5 days old...DAMN! I hate to say it, but I think someone else had a case of "Ooooooo look at the jerk in the Beemer parking in a handicapped spot w/o the proper plates." There are some nasty people in this world. You just have to think that they'll get their's one of these days. Sorry.

As far as planning 4-5 years ahead of time for ED: My Prelude is only 13 months old and the odometer shows a meger 7200+ miles. I'm still as in love with the car as the day I drove it off the lot. It is going to last quite a few more years. I'm planning on asking my girlfriend to marry me over the summer (I wonder what she'll say:) SO we'll get married next year and hopefully buy a home within the next 2 years. After that will be time to replace her 2000 Protege ES (currently with 45K). A 325iA should do the trick. Within a year or 2 of that will be time for me to part ways with my beloved Prelude Type SH and possibly slip into something along the lines of a 325i. We've always talked about going to Europe anyway, so why not bring back the ultimate (sorry, had to say it) souvenier? As for specific dates, the plumbing supply house I work for (owned by my father) closes the last 2 weeks in July every year for vacation. I was also wondering if that coincided with any factory shut down or holiday.

Sorry to bore you all with my next 5 years master plan. Thanks for listening.

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    blueguydotcom, Sorry about your damage. It's dishearting to hear such stories. I know your dealership will refer you to an excellent body shop; however, it's going to cost you..

nyccarguy, You sound just like me. For some reason I find it fun and exciting to lay out my life in 5 yr increments..It's a gross hobby of mine.
    Since I've been in Korea, the last yr or so, I've been saving up for another car. I was thinking about another 3/5 series or an equivalent. But ever since my cousin got into an accident in his 3-series with a runaway Airborne Express vehicle and with a baby on the way, I'm a BMW believer. Take a look: http://photos.yahoo.com/jonneandbrian
    BMW truly does make a fine vehicle.
  • Options
    nobee - ouch on those pictures. I know other people who have been in very serious accidents with their BMWs and walked away from them. I do believe these cars are inherently very safe.

nyccarguy - ouch, ouch and ouch. As I said to BGDC, people have no respect anymore.
  • Options
    shinbone001shinbone001 Member Posts: 12
    congrats on your purchase of 325. I, like you, have been biding my time to purchase a dream car. still haven't decided between 325 or 330Ci. I wanted to know how much you ended up paying for the car? I am in Dayton, OH area and the dealer gave me $1800 over invoice with similar options that you have ordered (325, metallic silver, manual, leatherette, SP, heated seats).

thanks
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    Sorry to hear about the damage. I've seen people (mostly women - sorry to fairer sex) that parallel park by backing up until they hit the car behind them and then pulling forward until they hit the car in front. Unbelievable! One time I walked up to the drivers door and said something and was told where I could go. So I got the license number and left it on the car she hit.

Another time, I came out of the grocery store and some lady set her grocery bag on my car while she was digging for keys in her purse. I got really pissed (although it did no damage). She couldn't understand why I was making a big deal out of the whole thing.

People just don't respect others' property.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    Man makes plans... and God laughs.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    BMW passed me on to a buy they use who does repairs for all their stuff. It's definitely gonna cost me but they assume I'll only need the lower skirt repainted. Luckily there aren't any dents...just a scary long batch of ripped up paint.

Have a good weekend all. And NYC, I like your plan. ;)
  • Options
    nobeenobee Member Posts: 194
    I had my 3-series shipped from Germany to Seattle and had some very minor scratches on it. Took it to a recommended auto body shop and they estimated the repair cost to be ~4K. I said screw that and took it to MACO and had it done for 50 dollars...JUST KIDDING!!
    All kidding aside, it seems to me the cost of the repairs equate to the quality of the job. Good luck on your repairs.
  • Options
    rd330ird330i Member Posts: 7
    Can't get ZHP in steel blue or grey green according to BMW.
  • Options
    kellymankellyman Member Posts: 2
    There is a consignment-type used car lot in Berkeley where they are offering a 1996 328i with almost 124,000 miles on it for $8,800. The original owner claims it has been well maintained by a local well-respected shop, the transmission was re built at 105,000. Only used Chevron with techron. Is this a good idea?
  • Options
    div2div2 Member Posts: 2,580
    If I was buying a work beater I'd definitely give that car some consideration-well, I would if it had three pedals...;) First, I'd want to see the service records. Doesn't have them? that's a red flag. Was the cooling system drained and refilled with BMW coolant every three years? Were the brake hydraulics flushed with DOT4 fluid every two years? I'd also want to know who rebuilt the tranny. Most people with a A4S 270R slushbox buy a rebuilt unit from BMW. That's not to say it can't be rebuilt, but few people have the expertise and knowledge required to do a good rebuild. Next, I'd have it checked out by a QUALIFIED AND EXPERIENCED BMW tech. The E36 is a reliable and fun car, but a neglected one can be a money pit. The miles don't worry me-the M52 six can easily go 250K with proper maintenance. That said, the car could need some suspension bushings and/or ball joints. If the car checks out offer him $6000- and wave the dead presidents under his nose. He may very well accept the offer.
  • Options
    Ahmen - to the People Don't Give A Hoot About Anybody's Property Dept. Especially to the point about people just swinging the door of their Expeditions, or name your monster SUV here, open with their foot. However, it's my guess that people that litter and don't care about others property generally don't care about their property either. It's how you were raised, to be respectful or not. But I guess we could start a thread titled: "Why don't some people seem to care nowadays".
  • Options
    kellymankellyman Member Posts: 2
    The 1996 328i has two pedals. The owner is the original, all service records are available. Sonnen BMW re built transmission at 105k. All scheduled services completed. What do you think?
  • Options
    I'd still want an independent inspection; if it checks out-go for it. Autotrader has several 328is with similar mileage and the prices are in $9000-$11000 range. Betcha the dealers are low-balling the car big time as a trade(can't say I blame them, as high mile cars are tough to move on a new car dealer lot-they'll have to wholesale it to a mouse house). But... his loss is your gain. I'd think that he's being shot a price somewhat under $6000. Check the Trade In Value topic on the Smart Shoppers board to get a better idea. I'd still offer around $6000 and be willing to go up to $7500-that's assuming you get a clean bill of health from the inspection. There are PLENTY of nice 3ers around; no need to pay out the nose for one.
  • Options
    leenelsonmdleenelsonmd Member Posts: 208
    Pat yanked me at 23332 above so I'll repost.

Sorry pat.

blueguydotcom: sorry to hear about the bumper. Unbelievable. People just do not care any more. I park in the worst garages here in the Houston Med Center and have been somewhat lucky so far. 7.5 months old and 13k miles on my 3 series. Not a single ding yet. Everyday I watch these HUGE Expeditionlike vehicles parking in the compact spots in the garage and the doors swing open and just cream the cars next to them. The person is usually overweight, eating something, carrying something and getting out of the car at the same time. They don't even blink when their door just crashes into the car next to them. I guess they think that the car is there to keep the door from opening too far or something. I never understand people who are so inconsiderate and sloppy with their life.

ximloe: Welcome.

bmw323is: I can believe that someone would set their groceries on your car. People live in a 100% egocentric world. They set their groceries on your car and can't understand why you get mad, but if you put your groceries on their car they would probably pop a cap in you.
    Another grocery lot annoyance to me is watching people leave their carts in the middle of the lot. I frequently watch them putting the cart to rest against the vehicle next to them as they drive off. Total slobs. If you wheel a grocery cart out into the lot you could at least put it in the cart receptacle out there and even better take it back into the store. Don't be a slob.

FWIW: I must drive like a slob. I have this brand new 3 series and have never seen so much curb rash on a set of wheels. In my e36 325, I had one wheel with a little curb rash (100k miles) and now I have a new car with only 13k miles and all 4 wheels are covered with the rash. It is embarrassing. One of my first purchases when I finally get some money in the next year or so will be a new set of rims.

ddblue: Speaking of rims! Those are beautiful.
  • Options
    victord1victord1 Member Posts: 94
    Sorry to hear about what happened to your car. It might be just a little scratch, but it could also be detrimental to the "new" car image.

It happened to me just two weeks after I bought my new car. Left it in a parking lot for about an hour, and when I came back I saw this thumb-size dent/scratch on the right front door molding. I used a touch-up paint, but it didn't match the original color that well.

Talking about scratches, I was about to start dealing on a '02 CPO 325i with only 5800 miles. But then when I took a closer look I saw scratches, and, most serious, misaligned upper/lower bumper panels. The salesperson told me earlier that the car was never been bought. Now how can this happened on an untitled 30K+ BMW?!?!?! Then I inspected other 3series and found similar defects (not at the same spot, though). Anyway, I just said thank you and walked.

I guess I would be better off by ordering an '03 or '04 with just the package that I want. Can I still negotiate the price when I'm ordering??
  • Options
    Has anyone driven and compared the 330i and 325i, both with the sport package? Which one is bumpier (harsher),sharper and noisier??

I drove the 325i w/sport package, and found it to be a bit harsher than my sister acura TL-S. It felt heavier than the TL-S too. And the engine was very rev-happy.....the tach hit 3k rpm and beyond before anything started moving. I guess that's a good thing, but I hope it won't get too noisy in the future.
  • Options
    sedanorcoupesedanorcoupe Member Posts: 7
    I have a new (as of early April) 330xi. A couple of weeks ago I was driving down the road and noticed that it seemed that the steering wheel needed to be canted just a bit to the left in order to keep a straight line. At first I thought it was my imagination, but have since confirmed this is the case. It is not much off - about a half inch or so - but it is definite.

Since I had not noticed it up to that point, I wondered what could account for it. The only thing that I could think of is that the day before, while going very slowly (5 mph, I would guess) through a parking lot my right rear tire went over a curb. Hard to think that did much damage one way or the other, but it is the only thing that comes to mind.

Interestingly, the car does not seem to have a noticeable drift. That is, it does not pull when I take my hands off of the wheel.

Anyway, a few questions for the more mechanically minded out there: 1) is something like this symptomatic of some potential structural damage (while I _think_ I was only going 5, I may have been going faster)? 2) how much trouble do you think it might be to fix? 3) should I even worry about fixing it?

I ask the last question due to a fear that anytime you take a car into the shop it might come back in worse shape than brought in. On the other hand, the car is brand new and it is a little early to accept less than perfect.

Thanks for any input.
  • Options
    bmw323isbmw323is Member Posts: 410
    victord1 - the TL type S will be faster than a 325i from 0-60, but the BMW inline 6 is a wonderful engine that likes to rev. And the RWD BMW outhandles the FWD Acura. A while back one of the car magazines (C&D, I think) rated the BMW higher than the Acura becasue it handled better. The 330i and the 325i, both with the sport packages, with ride very similarly assuming both have 17" wheels.

sedanorcoupe - The steering wheel being slightly off center can be corrected with an alignment. I'm not sure how the AWD affects a front end alignment, but I'm sure it can still be done. Running over a curb with the rear wheel didn't cause that problem. Take it back to your dealer and tell the the steering wheel is off center. They will fix it under warranty. I suspect you just didn't notice it until recently, but it was probably like that at deleivery. I drove a 325xi as a loaner a week ago, that was the same way - just slightly off center.
  • Options
    wr7rwr7r Member Posts: 6
    Well it is about to happen. I just received my first job out of college, and I am about to buy my first car. I have saved my money for the past 8 years, and I am about to purchase a 325i in the next week. The car is going to be a basic model. Nothing fancy because I can't afford to get what I want in the car. I have been looking for the past 6 months think that something was better out there, but I was wrong. So I looked at other cars like the Audi A4, Saab 9-3, and the Acura TSX. I thought these cars were great, but the turbo's were going to eat gas like crazy and I wanted something with a 6 not a 4.
  • Options
    ultrarunnerultrarunner Member Posts: 64
    Mine was slightly off-center when I picked it up on E.D. I emailed my dealer about it and when the car came in they "checked" it and told me it was fine.

I know that it was only slightly off so I did not want to argue and drove home and center the wheel myself.

It is really easy. In my case I had to turn each tie rod end 1 1/2 turns. Now, 7,000 miles later the wheel is still perfect.
  • Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I tried to make a deal on a 3 series today.

When I suggested I wanted to pay about $1000 over invoice and put multiple security deposits on a .0012 money factor lease, the sales manager insisted that the money factor is .0019 and they wouldn't sell the car for less than 2% off MSRP.

I am an excellent negotiator and couldn't get this dealer, or a even a second dealer about 60 miles away, to budge from this same basic deal. Obviously, the lease rates must be different in other parts of the country, or maybe dealers aren't as hungry up here in Seattle.

Well, I guess it didn't really matter because I wanted a bare-bones 325i and the only cars on hand for immediate purchase were fully loaded with leather, auto, xenons, HK stereo, etc. $35,000 and less than stellar lease rates made the deals more $ than I wanted to spend.

So to make a long story short, I am now the proud owner of a 2004 Acura TSX!

It's not quite the driver's car that the 325i is, but it's a terrific, 8/10ths sport sedan that's fun to drive, beautiful to behold, loaded to the gills, and a screaming bargain. Mine's lipstick red with tan leather interior, 6-speed MT, xenons, heated seats, moonroof, 17" alloys, etc...and more importantly, my wife and kids love it too!

Anyways, thanks to all of you for being such a great group of enthusiasts...I have truly enjoyed discussing, and learning about BMW's and other cars with you.

Of course, I'll still drop by here now and then, after all, I still have about two-years left on my BMWCCA membership...
  • Options
    a lipstick red w/tan leather is indeed a beautiful sight to behold.

Now how would you differentiate the ride between the two (325i vs TSX), in term of quietness, harshness, and response?

I mentioned in a previous post that I found the 325i w/sport package to ride a bit bumpy, bordering on chopiness. Now I just need to test the TSX, eventhough I prefer a V6.
  • Options
    fedlawman... TSX offers great value for the money. Acura service is good. You'll enjoy your car. You should post at the dedicated TSX vs 325i board here at Edmunds.

Too bad so many BMW dealers know they don't have to deal. They can sell their allotments but lose sales. I've never been able to successfully buy a new BMW from a dealer. Have seriously tried at least 4 times in past 7 years. Each time the dealer either lowballed my trade or wouldn't budge on MSRP. Each time I ended up buying something else. Only way I've been willing to buy a BMW is CPO.
  • Options
    I found the 325i's ride to be much smoother and more refined than the TSX's. Part of the problem with the TSX for me, was how the car unloaded and became nearly weightless at top of hills while traveling at high speeds. All the 3 series cars feel more planted at high speeds. 100 mph in the 3 felt just like 65. In the Acura I knew very well thar I was in 80s and the car didn't feel stable because of it.

Additionally, even though the TSX absorbed bumps at low (legal speeds), once I crossed into my driving style the vehicle became too unstable. Understeer became evident, front end plow popped and up and at times I'd swear my front wheels bounced off the pavement!

For 24-25k the TSX is darn nice. But it's not exactly the performance sedan I crave.
  • Options
    mg330cimg330ci Member Posts: 162
    The Acura is a great car, you will be extremely happy with it, and with the stack of cash you saved as well.

It had to negotiate with 6 drug (I mean car :D) dealers before finding an honest one that would not lie to me about BMW FS real lease MF, etc and was willing to deal with me.

Interestingly, once I told my local dealer I was buying elsewhere, he suddenly became a pussycat and was willing to do anything!, too late!

On the other hand, for some people, the hassles of negotiating with the dealers are not worth it! each one does what he wants with his hard earned money.

Please go and show up your new beauty to the your BMW dealer, let them know what they have missed.
  • Options
    ximloeximloe Member Posts: 3
    Hello all!
    I was hoping to collect some advice from everyone.
    I have an opportunity to trade in my current CPO 1999 328i that has 50,000 miles and is Orient Blue/Grey with 5spd/PP/Alarm/6disk CD. KBB trade is $20,400. Should I ask for more for trade? The vehicle I am looking at is a 2002 330ci Steel Blue/Sand with 11,000 miles 5sp/sp/pp/heated seats/PDControl. KBB is $39,985. Dealer is asking $36,950. What do you all think? Should I ask for Alarm and CD changer and pay full price? I'd appreciate any and all info! Thank you!
  • Options
    ximloeximloe Member Posts: 3
    Thank you for the welcome leenelsonmd!
  • Options
    Thanks for the well wishes...

Victor - I didn't find the 325 the least bit choppy. In fact, I think the 325i with SP has just about the best ride compromise I've ever experienced...creamy on the straights, compliant over bumps, and flat in the corners. The TSX suspension feels a little "harder" than the BMW's, so the TSX rides somewhat harsher and noisier, but it's not in the least bit negative...just a different calibration. On the other hand, the TSX has sharper reflexes at or below about 8/10ths. Above 8/10ths, the TSX suspension will feel somewhat less "planted" than the BMW, as in the scenario that blueguy described earlier. Since I don't drive my cars as hard as blueguy, it was a non-issue for me.

Riez - I have been toiling over this "value vs. performance" issue for months and will post my comparison of the two over at the "vs" board. Some of the posters over there are not as "courteous" as folks over hear, so it may be interesting to hear some of their responses!

Blueguy - One big oversight on the part of Acura with the TSX is in their choice of tires. I'm sure the all-season Michelin's help to quiet the ride a little, but in hard cornering, they scrub easily and early, and exacerbate the tendency for FWD understeer. Some good summer rubber would (will, in my case) transform this car.

MG330 - I went to the Acura dealer expecting the same treatment (I've heard the stories). For me though, I knew the numbers I wanted to see, so when the "four-square" came out, I had a take it or leave it attitude. Yes, I paid MSRP for the Acura, but the dealer had to rob from Peter to pay Paul and gave me more than a fair amount for my trade-in.
  • Options
    fedlawman... Check out the latest issue of Motor Trend (July 2003). 3-car comparison test of MB C230 Kompressor (1st place), Acura TSX (2nd), and Saab 9-3 Arc (3rd). Their TSX was 6-speed manual. 0-60 mph in 7.9 seconds (best of this bunch), but MT complained about "wheel hop, which conspired against a clean launch". MT has nice things to say about all three cars, but they preferred the MB. I'm sure this won't be the last test. Can't wait to see a 325i included!
  • Options
    Yeah, I bought that issue last week and thought it was interesting.

I too am anxious to see a complete "entry-level lux" sport sedan comparo...
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    A FWD sporty car needs an LSD even more than a RWD does.

If you want a good laugh, check out the folks on the Infinity FX35/45 discussion claiming that the pudgy FX out handles the 540i. I think they have been watching too many TV commercials. If I was going to do some hot laps I know what car I would want.
  • Options
    tbrown12tbrown12 Member Posts: 18
    I have driven both and prefer the feel of the 528i sport even though the 330ci has faster 0-60mph time. Would like a 530i or 540i but just out of my car budget. The 2000 528i sport and 2001 330ci at low miles are close to the same wholesale prices.
    The 330ci would be newer and faster. Any upside to the 330ci besides 0-60 and gas mileage? Resale, ride, handling, repairs, maintenance, etc. Any downside to the 330ci favoring the 528i sport?

Thanks.
  • Options
    broiler1broiler1 Member Posts: 6
    Do any of you know when the next 3 series is due to hit showrooms?

Thanks.
  • Options
    ksomanksoman Member Posts: 683
    Lease factors do indeed change by states, sometimes even localities. As somebody who's worked in credit evalation modeling, that's pretty much a given guarantee, we model lease factors and aprs based on regional demographics and various statistical information available for each region.

If you watch edmunds TMV prices, you'll notice how different the TMV's for the same vehicle are based on what ZIP code you are. In some areas, you can walk up to a dealer and say 500 over invoice and he'll start writing the paperwork, in another, you'll say 500 bucks below MSRP and they'll smirk cuz somebody else is waiting to walk in and buy at msrp and "act" like money is no factor in life...

If money was a very important factor in my buying decision, i'd never really try to buy/lease a bmw/benz, there simply is no free lunch in this world. On the other hand, if money and yet a sense of "i belong to a class" is both important, then, i'd blindly buy an Acura, they have some of the best to offer at their prices.

I was recently in the market for a 2 year old 7 series or a fully loaded 540 to replace wife's car.. but as fate would have it, my wife took charge and bought herself a 2004 325 convertible. Why 325 over a 330? purely because the first 2004 to hit the store in the exact color she wanted (mystic blue with tan leather) and fully loaded except the navigation was a 325, not a 330. What I paid? 700 below MSRP. What are the average statistics at the local motor vehicles department for similar 325s? (since i've inside access to statistics...) about 200 below MSRP - which is close to what Edmunds tells you, so you know where they skim their estimates from.... At a 3K difference for similarly equipped, i think the 325 and 330 are really close. Honestly 3K is like 60-80 extra bucks a month if you finance, maybe another 20 bucks for insurance... if you look hard, you probably might be wasting more money on unnecessary stuff every month... and if that really is a stretch, than maybe the bmw is financially not a sound decision anyway.

<end of banter...>

ksso
  • Options
    sunilbsunilb Member Posts: 407
    Could any owners tell me why they got the Performance Package? From what I can tell, this provides better wheels/tires, a short-throw six-speed, slightly stronger engine (HP & torque)... But the rest is more of an appearance package, right?

What am I missing here? I like the idea of the short-throw shifter (the BMWs I've test-driven definitely had long throws), and the aesthetics of the wheels/tires but I'm not sure why the package costs ~$4K.

Also, is the alcantra cloth nice, or is it more of a way to get the consumer to spend more money (ie, take the cloth or spend another $1,400 on leather.. no option for vinyl)?
  • Options
    If you have to ask...
  • Options
    Not to mention a stiffer suspension. Some even call it, M3 handling characteristics.
  • Options
    On a 330i if you opt for the sports package and 18s you've added over 2k in options.

With the performance package you get: lowered, tighter suspension than a normal sports package, 18s, no speed limiter (essentially think of a dinan chip), short shifter 6 speed, that funky suede-like steering wheel, better muffler and more hp/torque.

The BMW site claims the tiny spoiler and new airdam do impact airflow. Dunno. I do know I love my M3 front. I can do without the black headliner and black cube aluminum trim.
  • Options
    "If money was a very important factor in my buying decision, i'd never really try to buy/lease a bmw/benz."

So money isn't an important factor for you? I hear Aston Martin makes nice cars, yet you settled for a BMW...

"On the other hand, if money and yet a sense of "i belong to a class" is both important, then, i'd blindly buy an Acura."

But you're above that whole money and status thing...that explains why you chose the entry-level BMW convertible instead of a Toyota Solara, right?

Here's the bottom line for me:

The BMW 325 is a terrific $30,000 sport sedan...the only way to make it worth $36,000 is to make it a 330.