Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus ES 300/ES 330

Comments

• Options
    navguy1navguy1 Member Posts: 181
    Lexus cannot add a factory navigation system. However, various types of navigation systems are available aftermarket. Transportable units with small touch screens are available from $500 to $1000. Dash board integrated units from Alpine, Kenwood or Pioneer are available with touch screens are available for $1500 -$2000.

I highly suggest interacting with the units prior to making a purchase. ;)
  • Options
    ac1ac1 Member Posts: 1
    Hi,
    My father purchased a 1998 LS400 through an auction for me. The key we recieved for the car is slightly damaged. I spoke with someone at the Lexus dealer and I was told that there is no way to tell if the key actually works, so if I purchase a new key ($250) the new key might not work, an that I would need a "engine program" to reprogram a new key at a cost of $1100. What?? So I asked, if the two master keys, that is given when a Lexus is purchased is lost and/or damaged, some one will have to pay $1100 for a key? I got no answer. This seems crazy. Please tell me this guy was wrong. What is the replacement procedurce if someone loses both keys or the key(s) becomes damaged?
  • Options
    01jchantx01jchantx Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a Lexus ES300 with 40,600 miles. When I start the vehicle after it's been sat for one day, there was white smoke coming out of the tail pipe and then they disappear. The dealership said it was due to sludge motor. The previous owner probably did not get a oil change regularly. Any body has the same problem and know how to fix this?
  • Options
    kdvaillancourtkdvaillancourt Member Posts: 19
    I wish I could say do not panic, but I own 4 Toyota products ranging from 1997 -2003. Most recent acquisition was the 1997 Camry with 100k miles with the same problem. My independent mechanic stated their is no sludge problem, but the valves will need some work in the future. Good news: he feels that future is many years away and we started using Mobil 1 full Syn oil and still have some smoke but after 6 months this stuff is working a miracle. Best of luck....Ken
  • Options
    larry1larry1 Member Posts: 29
    How did someone get the car from the auction site to your possession if there is no working key? Did they tow it?

Try taking the key to a locksmith to see if it can be repaired. Just buying a new key will not enable you to start the engine. It has to be "programmed". You need a working master key to be able to put the car in programming mode so you can program another key to the car. When a working master key is placed into the ignition of the car and rotated to the start position, the on board computer in the car sends a signal to the key via an antenna near the lock cylinder. The key then sends back the transponder code programmed into that key. If the car has been programmed for that transponder code then the computer will permit the car to start.

It will be quite expensive for you if you can not get the damaged key repaired.

One way is that Lexus will give registered owners a "free" Engine Control Module (ECM), so that new keys can be programmed into the vehicle. But they will charge you for two new master keys, and the labor cost to remove and replace the ECM, and to program the new keys. Total cost, at least $600.

Or, you can go to certain locksmiths that have the computer program that allows them to "flash", "re-flash", or "reprogram" (different names for the same thing) the ECM so that it will then be ready to accept and program new transponder keys.

I went to www.locksmithcharley.com to have my ECM re-flashed. I brought two new master keys I had ordered from www.lexus-parts.com But most locksmiths can make generic keys that will work for your car. I removed the ECM from the car, he re-flashed it, I reinstalled it, and he programmed the keys I had brought. Two non-remote (no buttons on the key) master keys cost me $110, and the re-flashing and programming cost $150. There are other locksmiths who do this. Do a search using re-flash and ECM as key words. But locksmiths don't locate and remove and reinstall the ECM. Know anybody?

Any way you go, it is an expense and a hassle. Lexus went overboard with the key and security complexity.
  • Options
    georgefsgeorgefs Member Posts: 3
    Have 1200 miles. Engine light and VSC and TRAC OFF lights on. Dealer says, dont worry, drive it for a while. Could be some kind of leak. Tighten gas cap. No worries. Been on for 500 miles. Called again. Says dont worry. Should I worry?
  • Options
    georgefsgeorgefs Member Posts: 3
    I tried the gas cap reset, as the dealer also told me. Lights are still on. Other ideas? Thanks
  • Options
    atoewsatoews Member Posts: 637
    As I said before, it makes a big difference whether or not you speak of a pre-2002. The way you describe is not so for 2002-2005.

There is no such thing as a "master key" for 2002+. There is also not a key named "transponder" key for the 2002+. I don't believe you have to remove and replace an ECM for the 2002+ either.

New keys WILL cost you $250 apiece however. If they break under warranty, Lexus will replace without it costing you anything.
  • Options
    larry1larry1 Member Posts: 29
    The poster I was responding to, in post #5033, states quite clearly that the car involved is a 1998.
  • Options
    01jchantx01jchantx Member Posts: 2
    Thank you for your advise. Did you use the Mobil 1 full syn oil in 5W30? Can you get it at any auto parts store? Is the smoke totally gone now?
  • Options
    beardiebeardie Member Posts: 44
    georgefs.....if I were you, I'd bring the car back to the dealer today, and tell him that you do not want to drive a new car that indicates problems(safety ones at that!) If their sophisticated computers can't find the problem, then it's certainly not going to go away by itself. While they have the car, they must give you a loaner if it's not fixed the same day. My problem was just the gas cap, but obviously yours requires more work. You should not have to put up with this garbage on a new car. Don't let them sweet talk you!!
  • Options
    cubfanjlcubfanjl Member Posts: 1
    I stumbled on this forum quite by accident while looking for something else, but do have a few comments:

I own a '99 ES300 with about 86K miles and love the car; I'd buy another one in a minute. But I have noticed that once in a great while - as recently as a few hours ago - that I get a puff (or more) of white smoke when starting cold. I have no clue why this is.

Someone mentioned the possibility of sludge and the fact that their mechanic might have said that they were aware of no such problem. Consumer Reports recently ran a quick feature of engines that are known to develop sludge problems, and the Toyota 3.0 liter manufactured in around 1997-2000+ was mentioned prominently as just such a powerplant. I regret that I don't recall the exact issue of CR, but it was published between 4/05 and now - a recent issue, in any case. The article went on to say that dealers/mfrs. can be difficult to deal with on the matter but that Toyota/Lexus are apparently agreeing to pay for repairs, provided the consumer can produce some evidence that they have changed their oil on at least an annual basis - I believe that is what I read. This motivated me to check my own records.

I've always put regular 10W30 in my car. This past weekend, it was recommended that I switch to Mobil1 Synthetic 5-10W30, which I did. 5 minutes later the mechanic called me out to the car after he'd taken off the filler cap, stuck his finger just below where the cap sits, held his finger out to me and said: " Here's your sludge..." Great....

I'm not exactly sure what to do next, but encourage you to obtain a copy of the CR article. Camry/ES 3.0 liter was mentioned as susceptible to sludge, as were several Volvo and VW powerplants, as I recall.

Sorry so lengthy...
  • Options
    I stand corrected. I now know what to warn people about when they consider buying a pre-owned Lexus. I've already lost or broken several keys on my 2002, and $1100 per event would break me!

I suppose the idea is to keep the master key in a safe place. Like Fort Knox, maybe. :-)
  • Options
    shocasershocaser Member Posts: 36
    Update on the rim. I called the dealer and asked to speak with the service manager on Wednesday, Sep 14 (11 days after I was told that the service manager had to make the call). Was transferred to voice mail and left a message. Called the dealer on Thursday and asked to speak with the service manager. Was transferred to voice mail and left a message. Called on Monday morning and demanded to speak to the service manager. Was put on hold. The person came back on the phone and told me that they would have to call me back. They did call back 10 minutes later and told me that a new rim is waiting at the dealership for me. No explanation why I did not receive a call-back. I figure that the dealer hoped that I would just go away. One of the reason I purchased a Lexus was to get good and reliable service. I have yet to see it. And I have yet to speak to the service manager.
  • Options
    tmarttmart Member Posts: 2,243
    Seems like the ideal time to speak to the service manager will be when you get the new rim. :D Granted, their service definitely seems lacking, BUT you did get a new rim. As you mentioned, it was the SM's call......he could have said "No".
  • Options
    Agreed. They did replace the rim that they ruined. However, I would not expect that I would have to hound them for 2 1/2 weeks to get an answer. My frustration lies in the fact that I had to pursuit them for so long to get an answer. I also found it irritating to get a call from the dealer the Monday after the rim was damaged asking if I was happy with the service I received. When I said that I was waiting to hear from the SM about replacing the damaged rim, I was told that the SM would be told of my concern. No one called me after that. I got this resolved by calling them. Very shoddy service.
  • Options
    The dealer definitely should have resolved this in a more timely basis, and without your frustrating 2 1/2 week delay. Was your phone call actually from the dealer? The followup calls I get are outsourced ones and not from the actual dealer; same with my Volvo. If yours were from the dealer, that's REALLY bad service, well beyond shoddy!
  • Options
    Just picked up the rim and spoke to the SM. It seems that he did not know that the service tech had told me that my rim might not be replaced. He just said order the rim. He did call my office yesterday and leave a message that the rim was in and to come in. I had assumed that it was in response to my call of that morning. The SM was very nice, but could not explain why no one had called me back. He actually told me that I should have called and asked to talk to him! When I repeated that I had called and asked to talk to the service manager and had left three voice mails, he had no answer. He did apologize and give me his card to call him directly in the future. Still a very frustrating experience.
  • Options
    I use 5W30, purchase at Costco, 6 quarts/bottles for $26.00. I then give to my mechanic and he takes care of the rest. White spoke is only present if car has been sitting for more than several days (daughters car). Remember, my mechanic did state that some time in the future I will need some valve work done, but he strongly believes this could be years away. Also, I have been using Chevron gasoline. After learning about the true differences between gasoline (Chevron is approved by Toyota, and other manufactures as a tier 1 fuel (this is good) I also believe this is helping to clean out the "crap" because previous owner did not take care of care. Good luck and stay in touch.
  • Options
    scoti1scoti1 Member Posts: 676
    I just bought a Lexus ES300 with 40,600 miles. When I start the vehicle after it's been sat for one day, there was white smoke coming out of the tail pipe and then they disappear. The dealership said it was due to sludge motor. The previous owner probably did not get a oil change regularly. Any body has the same problem and know how to fix this?

Lexus and Toyota have a special policy that allows for free fix of the sludge problem for 8 years from the original date of purchase. It is my understanding that you should still be covered, even if you are not the original owner. Toyota requires that you provide proof of reasonable maintenance, but I am not sure how that can be done if you bought used. I would be very wary of buying any of these models without the previous owner(s) also turning over all maintenance documentation.
  • Options
    I think that I would avoid any used car that I have to relie on the maintenance documentation of the previous owner. Any other car with this problem would be avoided like the plague! This one should be too!
  • Options
    Update, I received a quote for the smoke problem. If you live near San Diego their is a shop that fix the problem for way under $1k (most likely $750). take care
  • Options
    Question: own 2002 ES 300, 38k miles, Navigation/ML, etc. Love car. I purchased car used 4 months ago and last night was spending more time learning the navigation system. Car was not started, but all electrical on via key. After 15 minutes the nav screen went blank and the car would not start. This happened before and dealer diagnosed as alternator and battery were replaced with no problems until last night. Do I have to start car before I "play" with the nav system? How can the battery discharge in 15 minutes?

Please advise

P.S. recently had the computer updated (see TSB 3/05), and car drives much better. Even my wife noticed more get up and go
  • Options
    Own 02 ES 300 with original GPS/DVD software. Dealer wants A LOT of $ of updated software. Any ideas how to update my software w/o spending a fortune.
    thanks....
  • Options
    torontoron Member Posts: 2
    I recently ordered a new 2006 ES330 as I was unable to obtain a 2005 model in the color I wanted. I noticed after ordering and a review of the 2005 and 2006 brochures some minor differences in the motor specs. 2005 says 225 HP and 240 lb-ft torque while the 2006 says 218 HP and 236 lb-ft torque. The 2005 does not mention premium fuel while the 2006 says optimum performance would be had with premium fuel (octane 91 or higher). The dealer said the cars were identical.Any comments would be appreciated.
    Ron
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    Your dealer is right. The 06 ES has the same number of Hp as the 05. What has changed is that SAE ( Society of Automotive Engineers), whose guideline auto manufacturers typically use to calculate HP ratings, has changed some of the rules as to how to calculate engine power output. They are using a slightly more restrictive standard that do away with some of the subjective interpretations of HP ratings. Your car won't be any slower than the 05 versions. If you use premium instead of regular unleaded, your HP output will be about 225 Hp instead of 218 ( I think ).
  • Options
    eagle12eagle12 Member Posts: 1
    Ref. Turn signals
    FYI: I have had 3 Lexus'
    Now have ES330, 2005, and I agree with your assessment of turn signal.
    My '94, and '01 had loud signals, too loud.
    My new '05 is too "silent", and its very easy not to hear it.
    I suspect that company had complaints about the noisy ones, and decided to
    go the other way...I, too, wish it was adjustable.
    However the ES is a great car, and gets good milage.
  • Options
    olddaveolddave Member Posts: 21
    eagle12 - thanks for the reply -

My ES330 now has about 7000 miles on it and the turn signals still drive me crazy!

Everything else works just like Toyota/Lexus says it is supposed to, so I have been happy with it otherwise.

It is good to hear another voice of reason!!
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What kind of mileage are you getting? City and Highway?
  • Options
    torontoron Member Posts: 2
    While waiting delivery of my 2006 Lexus ES330 I have been reviewing the brochure. I noted that under disclaimers they state "tires fitted with 17-in wheels are expected to experience greater tire wear than conventional tires. Tire life may be substantially less than 32,000 kilometres (20,00 miles) depending on driving conditions. I have normally gotten at least 40,000 miles on a set of Michelins. I hope I didn't make a mistake in paying more for the 17" tires. Perhaps I should have stayed with the standard 16" tires. Anyone have any comments on the tire wear situation?
    Ron
  • Options
    capriracercapriracer Member Posts: 907
    Many cars are coming with high performance tires, which handle better and stop better than regular tires - a major safety feature.. However the grip they get is at the expense of treadwear. So far only Lexus has seen fit to warn people so they aren't surprised later - Good for them!
  • Options
    tmkniestmknies Member Posts: 4
    Driving a new ES330. Love the car but the MPG is lower than expected. Hoping this is because it is only a few weeks old and will increase as I drive more. I do perform some running around town with my children but most is highway miles.
  • Options
    I have a 2005 ES330 with almost 7000 miles on the odo. I am getting 19.5 - 20.0 avg mpg for mostly city driving. Last weekend I fueled up with premium gas (I normally use 85-octane regular) for a 100 mile highway trip. At the end of the highway driven portion of the trip, the "avg mpg" shown on the instrument panel indicated 30.8 mpg. The entire trip was on freeways and/or 2-lane highway at speeds of 60 - 65mph. I live in the Denver area. Last June we drove a 3900 mile trip to the East coast and back. When we started the trip, we had 800 miles on the odo. We averaged 26-27 mpg for that trip. I hope this is helpful to you.
  • Options
    silleck330silleck330 Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2005 ES330 with 8700 miles. First oil change at Lexus dealer
    was 5,000 miles. I drive 800-900 highway miles monthly. Is every 5,000
    about right to maintain this car properly ? Any thoughts on the topic ?

Thanks !
  • Options
    motownusamotownusa Member Posts: 836
    I own a 2003 Camry LE V6 which I believe has a similar powertrain as your ES. My dealer always recommended 5000 oil change interval. Although the manual states that if you drive "normally" you can change oil every 7500 miles. I do not like to push things so I stick with the 5000 mile rule. Some dealer suggests changing oil every 3000 mile but that isn't necessary with today's car.
  • Options
    alboyalboy Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a 2005 ES330 in early June 05. It came with 17" tires (215, 55, 17) Bridgestone Turanza. I didn't see the placard on the rear window warning that I may get no more than 20,000 miles of wear, and the salesmen neglected to warn me. I wouldn't have purchased the car with these particular tires if I had known. However, you may wish to check to learn what brands are available for the 17" wheel and pick some other tire. I believe the Michelin has better wear stats. So far, in my first 2500 miles, I notice that the Bridgestone gives a comfortable ride and corners and brakes well. However, a tire for a sedan like the ES330 should wear much better than 20,000. Incidentally, I'm also disappointed with the very limited amount of rear leg room (it's only good for short people or children), and the problem some people have been having with the transmission is a concern. Some owners notice a jerk or lurch when they step on the gas after slowing down. Also, the downshifting isn't always smooth. I understand there is a TSB out on this from Lexus to the dealers - a software update, but I haven't had it done since the service rep reported mixed results to me and said that, once applied, they can't undo it. It seems to me that most people by a Lexus to avoid these kind of problems. Oh, and you can add me to the list of those that think the turn signal isn't loud enough. I frequently find myself failing to turn it off.

Overall, I would say that I bought a fancy Camry. (But my wife's 2004 4 cyl. Camry has a smoother transmission.)
  • Options
    dshahsdshahs Member Posts: 35
    Just test drove a 06 es 330 and the observation I made is that there is no more hesitation in the transmission that i felt with the 05 es 330. Mark Levinson is no longer an option as all the 06's are going to come with the Pioneer sound system and comparing the audio qualities between the 05 ML and 06 pioneer, i found the 06's pioneer system to be cleaner and crisper than the 05 ML. Other than that the transmission is smooth as butter and the car is vault like quiet and the seats in the 06's seem to be more comfortable than the 05's.
  • Options
    popeye7popeye7 Member Posts: 15
    Due to an errant rock on an interstate, I had to replace the windshield on my 03 ES300. Since it was replaced, I notice more road and wind noise. The problem is that the installer insists that the windshield was installed properly and that they could not detect any noise out of the ordinary. We who own this model know how quiet and almost vault like they can be. Has anyone experienced a similar situation with a windshield replacement. I would like to know if there is a remedy for what I am experiencing. Incidentally, my odometer just turned 53K so I can't get relief on the warranty. Can anyone help me with this.

Thanks
  • Options
    I am not a windshield expert, but I had a neighbor who owned and operated a local auto body repair shop for many years. He owns an early Lexus LS and he told me when he had the windshield replaced on his Lexus, he had to wait for the new windshield because it had to be special ordered from Lexus. He said Lexus windshields are thicker than standard windshields. I subsequently had a problem when the windshield on my new Chrysler was defective. The dealer replaced the windshield, and my neighbor told me the replacement windshield was also defective, and that it was not a "Chrysler" windshield. We talked to the Chrysler factory rep, and the 2nd windshield was also replaced. My neighbor stressed that "all replacement windshields are not created equal", and that you need to be really careful when shopping for a replacement. When I bought our 2005 ES330 in April, the salesman told us one of the reasons the car is so quiet is because the glass is thicker. Now, that might have been just a sales pitch, but I have personally known the salesman for a long time, so I have no reason to doubt him.
  • Options
    yanceydyanceyd Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1998 ES300 and lately the oil light comes on and stays on for a long period of time. I have had it checked for oil leaks but can not find any leaks.

Sometimes will come on for a few seconds but most of the time it will stay on.

Has anyone had this problem and if so, what did you to take care of the problem?
  • Options
    Thanks for your insight. I am still convinced that something is not right, but how can you determine if it is a Lexus windshield or an immitation. Would a Toyota Camry windshield be identical (thickness) to a Lexus ES300 windshield?
  • Options
    I don't know if the basic Lexus windshield is thicker than that of the Camry, but you can tell if you get an authentic Lexus windshield. It will have "Lexus" printed on it.

An interesting story is that prior to 2002, Lexus windshields had "Toyota" printed on them until Lexus owners complained. Lexus owners apparently want the status showing on the windshield.

The same is true, I believe of all of the windows. They have "Lexus" printed on them.
  • Options
    rksagirksagi Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I need to get the new lexus ES330 tomorrow and I am still to decide the exterior color.
    I know is more of a personal choice but still appreciate your comments.

1. Overall which color is good? More appleaing ? which is more famous ?
    2. All the colors have same kind of durability?
    3. My wife likes light green, but some one said that this color was mainly for older people..Is it a general perception ?
    4. Is it a too much hassel to maintain Black exterior?
    5. What about white?

Really Appreciate your comments and feedback.
  • Options
    mmm5mmm5 Member Posts: 5
    I got the silver and the car always looks clean...
  • Options
    I chose the blue onyx(dark blue) which is not as dark as black and not as light as the pastels they have(green and light blue). The white looks sharp too, but once you go to the dealership ask them to show you all the colors and you should know which one is perfect for you. Thats how i fell in love with the blue onyx.
  • Options
    rksagirksagi Member Posts: 3
    Thank you. But any one knows about the perception of Light Green ? I liked the color but some one said it was for elderly people ....
  • Options
    When i was shopping for a new car i saw a toyota avalon with the light green color and it looked very sharp, if you look at the color in photos on the internet, it doesnt looked that good but in person its a very sharp color and i nearly bought the "silver green mica" avalon but eventually bought the es 330
  • Options
    If YOU like the color, why would you care what someone else thought?? It's YOUR car, not theirs. What's ugly to me could be beautiful to you, and your thoughts are the only ones that matter for you, not mine. If you like the color, get it. Doesn't matter what I think!
  • Options
    I too have the silver with gray leather interior. Silver does stay cleaner looking longer. I also think that silver sets off the lines on most cars better than others.
This discussion has been closed.