Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    windeyewindeye Member Posts: 9
    It's been a long time I haven't checked with Edmunds until today,
    and the 2001 minivan comparison caught my eyes. As their result,
    Edmunds put the most ugliest minivan on the top and the clue less
    toy on the second spot. This really makes me wonder Edmunds has gone to ..., it seems to me that a bunch of editors were having fun
    racing those minivan instead of evaluating them for real-life use.
    Time to find a better web site for autos.
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    You missed the bruhaha then? Well, if you have comments about the review, you can send the editors a letter at this LINK and voice your concerns. Believe me, you are not alone in disagreeing with their review. I like the C/D reviews better anyway (although I don't like the journalists), mainly because they measure cargo space in beer cases as well as cubic feet. :-)

--javadoc

• Options
    louis1004louis1004 Member Posts: 8
    I've been reading all the messages as well as read all the reports made about MPV under the sun. I've also talked to numbers of owners as well as mechanics. I also test drove and I like it fairly.

I'm not so concerned about the weak engine. I think it handles pretty well under most circumstances. But I'm most concerned with the price of the parts! Just call the dealer and compare the parts with other minivans! It's 30% to 40% more expensive than other vans! Why is it? The only reason I can think of it is to rake their money later by outrageously raising the price. You should be well aware of it!

Although, MPV appears to be reliable, still, a van is a machine and all machines are destined to break down and fail. For those who will be keeping the MPV for over 100K miles, beware!
  • Options
    gunga64gunga64 Member Posts: 271
    For what its worth Consumer reports gives the MPV a recommended result. Only 3 minis were rated a "recommended buy" you can figure out the other 2.

It also gives the Mazda the best reliablity of all mini vans, in one of their charts in the newest consumer reports. the HOnda comes in like 6th for reliablity. Take into account that chart is made up of one years data on the Mazda though.

I too have some problems with the way they rated the MPV on the edmunds site.

A few things in particular, that I seem to recall on the edmund site or a combined thought from other sites were :

1. ABS is'nt available? Maybe they were looking at the wrong van.

2. Don't like it because it doesnt have remote sliding doors, what the heck good is that.

3. Then comparing the price to the Honda theres a 350.00 difference why buy the Mazda they state. It almost appears to me that they compare the low end Mazda to the HIgh end Honda, but when it comes to price they use the high end Mazda, I may be wrong here. But your talking about 7k in price difference.

4. Lousey gas mileage, excuse me but I'm pretty sure its either the same or 1/2 mpg less then the Honda. It also appears to me they were riding the Mazda rough to check the horsepower out. Its stated tons of times on the boards that you should'nt push the Mazda that way. I'm sure that effected the fuel economy. Needless to say I think this was a useless result.

5. The engine might me smaller then the Honda and Toyota, but the Mazda wieghts about 800 lbs lighter. Regardless of engine size I expect better engines from Honda and Toyota, basically because they have been the king of making efficent engines for years. I'm pretty sure everyone else is still playing catchup.

The only real problem I see with the Mazda is that it uses a Ford engine this of course is a negative. Theres no two ways about that.

Now that I said my peace, all of the above still does'nt make me go out and buy a Mazda yet, I'm in no rush to buy anything right now. But the Mazda is probally 1 of 3 that I'm thinking about.

Sometimes all these sites are concerned with is engine size, they also tend to like everything that comes out of Honda or Toyota, which is ok since i own a Toyota and Acura now. But don't take a lot of what they say seriously. I assume they had to find something wrong with the others just to make up a list.
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Please share your experience with the MPV?

Says in your profile you drive a Honda.

You also posted on a Nissan Quest board about parts costs.

While your point may be valid, I think it just caused mostly unwarrented FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt)

The engine comes from Ford, and I can buy them all day long used at about $1K, tranny's are also mass produced and can probably get them used quite cheaply, or even rebuilt.

Other parts are made by third party manufacturers (even the ones Mazda sells, I doubt any mass produced car manufacturer makes the majority of the parts that go into the vehicles) so those parts can be purchased from sources other than your local Mazda dealer.

And, when you look at parts from the third party sellers, they probably all compare favorably.

I'm not doubting that my MPV will ever suffer a mechanical failure, but I'm not worried about it.

Heck, I would be more worried about the Honda Odyssey. If they can't build 'em fast enough to sell, I fear there would be a shortage of replacement parts. If there is no part available, it really doesn't matter what the price is.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if you have any real world MPV experience.

I do!

TB
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Please post some specific examples from your research. This is a subject that is near and dear to me and I am interested to see your findings.

Thanks

:)
  • Options
    Its a ford Taurus engine, I can't believe the engine parts are expensive, I also doubt that toyota or honda parts arent expensive.
  • Options
    ...don't feed the trolls...

--j
  • Options
    exposing trolls for what they are :D
    TB
  • Options
    ..I think it was a "hit-n-run." Maybe some bait will bring an encore.

Okay TB, have some fun. Don't see to much of you here anymore anyway (howz the SVT?)!

EDIT:

Oh, had to mention this, 'bout broke my car-nut heart. There's a new MPV on my street (makes 4 now). I was walking the dog and stopped to talk to the owner while he was washing his blue (gorgeous color) LX. I say, "So, do you like your MPV? We love ours. We should get all the MPVs on the street together for a photo."

He said, "Oh, there's other MPVs on this street?" I think maybe he lives in a cave or something. :P

--j
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    flame went out!
  • Options
    Even if his peripheral vision isn't working, his kids will see ya and wave.

P.S. louis: Where are my part comparisons???? That could have been fun.
  • Options
    ...With their windows rolled down. Now all I hear from the 2 & 5 y/o's ("I'm five and three-quarters, Papa") when I'm driving MochaVan is "Can we roll down the windows, Pleeeeeeeeeeeaaase?"

--j
  • Options
    billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    DON'T FEED THE TROLLS?

For shame! Is that any way to treat an errant wayfarer on our little journey though MPVland? As soon as I get up off the floor and stop laughing, you're in for a good chiding.

:)))

RJ
  • Options
    I drank my breakfast (nothing new), skipped lunch, and rode my bike in today...so I'm prolly a bit testy. 8-O

However (on topic...how novel coming from me, right?), I've replaced the airfilter on the van with a K&N filter and noticed a ton of oil on one half of the old filter, it's called blow-by (or blow back, I forget). I've seen this before on my '83 VW, but didn't think it still happened on modern cars with the newer MAFs. I remember it was remedied on my VW by plugging an air return line from the intake. Anyway, I'm going to have the dealer 'spane it to me when I go in for my obligatory LOF next week. Anyone else seeing this? TB, seen this on the Contour, or are you using a cone filter?

-javadoc
  • Options
    msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Yes Java I saw the same thing. In fact I have pictures of it. I will send them thru the mail group when I get home. Did you notice a symmetrical wave? That seamed odd to me.

Hasta

MSGJVH
  • Options
    Mostly,

The IT slowdown hasn't hit here yet. (I hope it really doesn't either.) Been busy installing truckloads of Sun gear for MasterCard.

Did get new wheels and tires for the SVT this week. O.Z. Superleggera's wrapped in Firestone SZ50EP's. Amazing grip in the wet, was taking 35MPH off ramps in the rain at 60+ (no traffic)

Can't wait to try them on the dry roads.

May want to get some different tires for the MPV now.

Anybody want a set of 16" Dunlop Sport SP4000's for the MPV, I'm thinking about a set of the SP5000's if they will fit.

Maybe a plus one to get to a 225 tire on there :D

Dunno about the goop on the air filter, haven't seen much on the SVT.

Our MPV just turned 10K last week, and I expect to have our K&N soon, so I'll snap some pix and post them when I make the swap.

TB
  • Options
    Re: the tires, I know someone was just asking about some the other day. Maybe they didn't take an early weekend and will check edmunds' MPV thread here.

Here's what the goop looks like, after 15,000 miles. I linked so I didn't post a large pic.

--java

• Options
    My assumption about MPV part being 30% to 40% expensive was from two of the experienced mechanics I've talked to. They did not discourage me from purchasing MPV but just wanted to give me a doze of reality about the expensive part. I guess, it would have been better if I had backed it up with plain facts before I post it to town hall.

To take all your challenge, I've called the Mazda, Toyota, and Honda dealerships and compared the prices (since none of you had guts to prove me wrong!). What is the most frequent part that is replaced in a Van? Probably the brakes. Mazda front brake pad costs, are you ready, $96. Sienna and Odyssey front brake pads cost $54 & $51. Other parst were not as drastically expensive, but I found MPV parts to be always the most expensive. I wish it wasn't so b/c I like MPV and I'm planning to drive it until it falls apart.

Right now, I drive a beat up Civic 88, and I'm ready to purchase a minivan. In spite of the expensive parts, I'm still leaning towards MPV b/c of the value and the owner satisfaction record. Having said that, I'm making a valid point of directing the mob about the pitfall that lies ahead. If you think I'm wrong, please let me know and I would be glad to respond to you. Thanks for your replies.

p.s.- I read the invoice price to be $20840 in one of the annual car magazines (don't recall the name of the magazine) which had all the car prices. Is this true in contrary to Emdmunds?

Louis
  • Options
    Using my handy dandy Motor's guide, this is what came up. Note: I didn't choose to omit or add parts based on price. These are the first parts that came to mind, so some makers are higher, and others are lower.

Bumper cover
    T $365.59
    H $335.00
    M $297.00

Rear Shoes
    T $34.07
    H $67.36
    M $71.30

Alternator
    T $542.94
    H $267.65
    M $328.65

Starter
    T $344.63
    H $338.35
    M $200.30

Oil Filter
    T $7.34
    H $5.97
    M $5.20

Water Pump
    T $97.68
    H $99.98
    M $95.95

T=Sienna H=Odyssey M=MPV
    All 2001 w/ABS if specified.

• Options
    I found these on autozone site this is'nt too bad. For the Mazda MPV 2000

BRAKE PAD/SHOE-FRONT ALBANY MKD551 17.99

I figure the Toyota and the Honda have been out longer then the MPV. In fact the MPV has only been out one year. This version anyway. It takes some times for the aftermarket guys to build parts for them. If something does go wrong with your MPV you may pay dealer prices for a few years I figure. But those prices that maltb posted make sense, shame all these prices are high for these minis. They seem to be about 30-50% higher then a japan car. They are heavier duty parts then what a car would use.

Alternator, starter pads, rotors, and rear shoes looks like a list that makes sense.

One item is missing the Ac Compressor/evaporator/dryer system, maybe one of you can help me does the MPV use 2 compressors. Also for you guys that own mpv for years how does the ac holdout? I find that the Most expensive systerm is the AC when my car fails.
  • Options
    ...were those higher priced parts for Mazdas again?

Here's some price comparisons provided for me by an auto industry insider and Motor Info Systems:

Odyssey / MPV / Sienna
    Front Fender: $181.80 / $141.70 / $349.45
    ABS Control Unit: $784.95 / $1,062.45 / $1,230.65
    Exterior Mirror: $132.83 / $144.40 / $153.97
    Front Damper: $100.98 / $67.35 / $137.78
    Rear Damper: $101.97 / $58.30 / $31.01

Of note, the Ody doesn't (to my knowledge) have heated mirrors, the MPV and Sienna do

Tb has an absolute splendid point about the Ody: if they can't even make the van fast enough for the demand, where are you going to find replacement parts if you have a mechanical failure? I know, because I've owned some pretty low production vehicles. The answer is, you wait. I've waited months for headlights for my old Saab because you just couldn't find one.

Louis...(tongue in cheek)I'm firing up my bar-b-que...how do you like your crow prepared? Medium, or Cajun style?

--javadoc
  • Options
    Hey, how did you cut and paste the pic of my OEM air filter into that pic! It almost looks identical! Now I don't feel so bad for having a dirty AF.

I always prefer Medium at BBQ's. Can I have a Michelob too please!
  • Options
    My filter is fill of crud. You'd think it was from a SoCal car, not clean pristine Alaska air. I think maybe one should rotate the filter 180 degrees and even out the deposits. I didn't notice the wave you mentioned, just massive oily crud.

My fridge only stocks Dr. Pepper and Coronas, so take your pick.

--java
  • Options
    The factory is just a few miles away.

Isn't it Car and Driver that measures vehicle capacity in cubic feet and cases of beer?

Wonder how many cases the MPV is good for?

Not that I'll drink the Mic, but could probably bring a healthy amount.

All in the interest of, uhhh, science, yeah that's it.

Is that the sound of quiet.

Mrs TBoner is out shopping. (Her profession) She has taken the know-it-all with her.

Baby and me are here. Baby is asleep, and with me starting today at 4AM, I'm probably not far behind.

Cheers,

TB
  • Options
    Thanks guys for your comparison charts. I take your word and it seems to me that Toyota has the most expensive price followed by Mazda then Honda. Again, my assumption comes from two experienced mechanics who pointed out the expensive Mazda parts that they had to buy over the years. I guess, this is just another reason to go with MPV instead of Toy or Ody.

One more question. Does anybody know the actual invoice price of MPV LX? I read in one of the popular Car Magazine that it was $20840. Is this true in contrary to Edmunds price?

Also, did you have rear a/c installed? Do you need one for Virginia area?
  • Options
    dougseydougsey Member Posts: 20
    We've had our 01 LX for 2 weeks now and we love it. The only minor problems I have to report are tire pressure; 3 tires at 50, 1 at 31 psi (I've set all 4 to 35) and the windshield washer fluid was not filled. Wow, isn't that tank that comes w/4 Season big!

I would like to know at what mileage you guys did your first oil change and at what mileage you think it's safe to switch to synthetic?

I find it interesting that the manual doesn't recommend an oil change until 7500 miles! I was thinking it should be changed at 1000.

Thanks for your input.
  • Options
    Here is what I did.

At 1K, I changed the oil filter, and topped up the oil with Mobil1 5W30.

I do oil changes at every 5K.

While I once advocated the Motorcraft FL-820S that came with the van. I'm now sold on the K&N oil filter (2010 I think) It appears to flow more oil than the Motorcraft unit.

While it's filtering efficiency is not as good, with the recent rash of oil starvation problems on Contour's I've read about, I've decided that it is probably more important to get oil to the critical parts of the engine, than to have the cleanest oil.

I think the added filtration ability of the Motorcraft and the Purolator Pure One filters may drop the oil pressure too much under full throttle, high rpm conditions.

But others have run the Motorcraft filters for the entire lifespan of their vehicle without drama.

I'd avoid Fram filters. The anti-drainback valves in them are not very good, so you get a great deal of valve noise at startup until oil is pumped back up into the top of the engine. I guess that anti-drainback valve isn't.

HTH

TB
  • Options
    dmacldmacl Member Posts: 6
    My wife has a 2000 MPV LX. I am not in the car that much, but we just came back from a vacation and I heard what I thought was a strange sound coming from the underside of the car.

When we were accelerating, there was a some sort of mechanical pinging sound or clanking sound. There was no problem driving the car and all seems well. We got somewhat low mileage, but we had the AC running all the time (two kids in the car). We had the 12,000 mile check up just two days before the trip and all was well.

Any help would be great.
  • Options
    The day we picked up the van, I went to the parts dept. and grabbed an oil filter: Mazda GY01-14-302B, $5.36. Is this in fact a Motorcraft filter that's painted with the Mazda name? Or something different? It does look identical to the Motorcraft filter that's on the car, at least from the outside.

Does anyone know if these engines come with break-in oil, or is it plain old 5w-20?

I plan to do an oil and filter change at 1000 miles but I have not yet decided whether to go with Mobil 1 or stay with plain old oil. In previous cars, I've used whatever oil is on sale at the time but I plan on keeping the MPV for 10 years so I'd like to do what I can to make it last.

Although I live in New Hampshire where it can get somewhat cold, the van is kept in a gararge that doesn't get below 30*F so cold starts are not much of an issue for me. And from what I understand, cold starts are a good reason to use synthetics.
  • Options
    we just had our first oil change, at 2500 miles. A motorcraft oilfilter came with my van, since the engine was assembled in a Ford plant in Ohio. The dealer installed a filter with Mazda's name on it. Rest assured this is a motorcraft filter. I told my service writer to make sure they install 5w 20 in my engine, even though it's marked on the fill cap. 10w is too thick for the 2.5 duratec. Our engine has tighter tolerances than most and needs 5w. After my oil change I tried to tighten the filter,and wasn't able to budge it, the tech must have tightened it with a filter wrench. It's a good idea to always check to make sure the oilfilter is on solid. As far as using Mobil 1, it's a personal preference. I believe if you change your oil every 5000 miles, check your level regularly and don't red line your van you will be fine. Some people feel better using synthetic oil.
  • Options
    I switched to synthetic and found that it starts easier and the MPG slightly increased. Nothing significant mind you. I think you will also find that with synthetic you actually delay your changes from 3 to 6k. I will be changing the oil filter with every change and will always use the K&N brand from now on. By reading the previous post you should know that it is important to put a quality filter on the MPV and make sure it is tight!!!!!!! There have been at least two incidents where members have lost thier engines by going to the econo lubrication stores. They may not use a quality filter and will generally only crank it down hand tight. That is insufficent for the MPV. I like the K&N it maintains higher pressures and with the racing nut on the end you can make it "gooden tighten". It will cost you $10 bucks but that is cheap insurance.

One last word of advice from experience with my dealer. Keep all your receipts for maintenance . Even those that you perform yourself. Without that proof your dealer will and has harassed you for not performing the recommended maintenance. Now why oil change receipts have anything to do with my peeling leather seat, I have no idea but I still have to fight that out.

Sorry for the long post.

MSGJVH
  • Options
    mjvarnadomjvarnado Member Posts: 1
    I have a video control player in my 2000 MPV. It's great for long rides. However, it's also annoying to listen to Disney movies continuously. I need to find headphones to work with my system (preferably wireless). Any ideas where to look?
  • Options
    nova0nova0 Member Posts: 3
    The 'check engine' light on my 1989 Mazda MPV came on at 80,000 miles to remind me to do some scheduled maintenance. How do I reset that light?
  • Options
    cas6cas6 Member Posts: 6
    hi everyone,this is my first message ever.i went to a dealer sat to test drive '01mpv.i was impressed with ride and van, but it was my first time ever at a dealer.they tried to convince me to buy right there an lx with few options for 23,480. i thought this was high.what are the lx's going for now?can anyone recommend a good dealer in the essex/union nj area?what should i beware of in dealing with a dealer and their "tricks'?should i wait for '02 models to get much better price on '01's?what are the must have options to put on an lx?any other advice will surely be appreciated by this novice new car buyer.thanks to everyone and i'm sorry for asking so many questions.
  • Options
    bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    My '92 MPV check engine light came on at 80K. The manual said to replace the O2 sensor. That done I found out that most mechanics want $75 - $100 to reset the computer. I don't know if it holds true on your '89 but sone of the dash has to be removed to reset the computer for this particular problem on the '92.
    The one Mazda dealer I talked with said the mechanics don't even want to do it - it's only a labor charge - choke!
  • Options
    glad to hear your shopping for a MPV. We purchased our 01 Lx in April. We paid $22,500 for a pretty well equiped LX( Security Pkg, 4 seasons, roof rack, and rear air). The MSRP was $25,600. There is a current incentive of $1500, until early July. You need to find out the invoice price of the van you are interested in. I went to the dealer , when they were closed, and found the MPV I wanted. I wrote down all the options and went to the Edmond's new car site and found the invoice price including destination. I made an offer of $400, over invoice less rebate.

Example:
    Let's say your invoice price is 22,000. I would offer $20,900 + tax.
    $22,000 invoice
    + 400 dealer profit
    _________
    $22,400
    - 1500 rebate(to go to dealer)
    _________
    $20,900 + tax

There is a 2 percent holdback to dealer also.
    I believe this a fair offer and any dealer who wants to move this vechicle will accept it. Also, if you finance your Van consider to do it thru the dealer if they can match your local bank or credit union. We financed thru the dealer and they used Chase at 6.64% for 60 months. The dealer usually makes 2% of your financed amt. This helps the dealer make a little more and you receive a good rate.

Go in with the invoice price and be firm. Make sure you know the exact van you want. Don't go for clearcoat, rustproof, scotchgard, etc. , big ripoffs and high dealer profit.

This is, of course, is MY OPINION, not every one is going to agree with my way of purchasing a car, it was succesful for me.

Options I recommend on the LX:
    Rear Air- It get's fairly hot and humid in New Jersey for at least 3 to 4 months, I recommend rear air.
    4 Seasons- For only $500 you get rear heat, extra tranny and engine cooling, heavy duty rear defroster and a huge windshield solvent holder.

We wanted the Security Pkg for the side airbags and alloy wheels, this option is pricy.

I don't know about dealers in New Jersey. Go on Mazda's web site (www.Mazdausa.com) and check the president's club( I beleve its called) it's their 4 star dealerships.

Sorry, for the long post.
    Good Luck
    Pete
  • Options
    Thanks for the info on the filter. I'm curious why you had them put in 5w-20. I see that's what it says on the fill cap but in the manual the temperature/oil viscosity chart says we should be using 5w-30 when the temp is above 40 or so. It also says something about failing to follow this chart will void the warranty. Am I missing something here?
  • Options
    I couldn't find in my owner's manual where it stated using 5w 20 year round voids the warranty. I saw the chart and under F it looks like 5w 20 is recommended to about 60F.

IMHO, 5w 20 is fine for all year round operation. Using a thicker oil could cause you problems in the winter. Why worry about changing the viscosity season to season. 20 seems to be the all round better choice.

Also, I doubt Mazda will void your warranty when it says 5w 20 on the fill cap and nothing about 5w-30.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I have test driven and priced the MPV and HL.Both seem like good vehicles. Need to decide if I need third seat.MPV easier to get and lower priced.Only concern is resale value,and frontal crash tests versus other vans like Honda and Toyota. Can anyone convince me to buy an MPV versus the Highlander or even the Sienna?
  • Options
    alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I don't think anyone will try to convice you to buy MPV. Each vehicle has its pros and cons. And each person has his own set of priorities. Some choose noise level over price or engine power over safety issues.

MPV's crash test rating isn't bad at all. And price is much more compelling than Sienna's. Just take a look at all the standard features of MPV and then compare it to the competitors, compare how you feel behind the wheel of each vehicle and choose what is best for you and your budget...
  • Options
    When comparing the MPV with the Sienna, I thought the MPV felt roomier, despite it's slightly smaller size. It think this is because sight lines are better out of the MPV, and you don't feel closed in, but this is subjective. Pricing is going to be better for the MPV, and crash test results are good as they would be on all the top minivan models.

I couldn't compare the HL as I haven't driven one. They look comparable in size actually, and the HL is very nice, typical Toyota quality. The HL is more expensive than the MPV and I believe the Sienna too. It's based on a Camry platform, so it's not an off-roader. I'd look at the HL as more of a 4-seater as most vehicles this size cannot fit three normal-sized humans in a row.

The big question would be (for me), do you need a third row? We've got two little ones (5&2), and leave the third row in our MPV stowed in the floor about 90% of the time. We flip it up when we have other kids, or the MIL with us. That way, we have lots of cargo room (always need it) and can still accomodate more passengers when needed. Also, you can put the noisy (5-y.o.) in the third row when she gets too noisy.

Like Alexv1n said, look at all the features, figure out what you want to spend, take long, long test drives, and...

Good luck in your search!

--javadoc
  • Options
    zenbearzenbear Member Posts: 1
    Bought a '01 MPV ES two weeks ago with the following:

INVOICE
    ES  $24279
    ENT  $1372
    FOG  $215
    RCK  $172
    DES  $480
    Rebate -$1595
    TOTAL $24,923

With out any hassle Maza South (Austin, TX) took $24,723. During the paperwork I signed the rebate over to the dealer -- the rebate was listed as $2095!

Very happy with the purchase price, but I do wonder about that extra $500 in the rebate.

Has anyone else seen this?
  • Options
    osakaosaka Member Posts: 13
    Hi, all,

According the Japanese monthly car scoop magazine “MAG X” on this month,

the some contents of change and its month on new MPV are reported.

I’m not sure whether these are true or not , but in summary is as below.

1.New engine

New modified 3.0L by Ford Duratec and 2.3L with Direct Injection system by Mazda

will be added. The 2.0L will be gone for Japan and EC.

Besides, the 2.0L diesel with new transmission is planed for EC.

An information about the Direct Injection system was just known by a salesperson of

the Mazda this Mon. night.

2.Exterior

The front and back features will be more sharply. The head lights, front fender and

rear lights shapes will be modified new.

3.New transmission will be substituted the 5 Speed A.T. for the currently 4 Speed A.T..

4.Front brakes will be substituted 16 in. for the currently 15 in..

5.The 17 in. alloy wheel will be available on the upper grade.

6.The plastic rear wiper

7.The new moduled audio system (I’ m confirming now.)

8.The power sliding doors will be available.

9.The H.I.D. headlighs will be available as option.

10.Month of minor change

N/A Nov. 01. , Japan Jan.02.

New MPV is to make debut at Tokyo motor show in this autumn.

Please refer this magazine’s site too.

http://www.mag-x.com/index_ie.html

Excuse me hard to read. Be good now.

• Options
    rbladerrblader Member Posts: 28
    Ohio Gozaimas Osaka-san,
    Those are great new features that you mentioned. I hope they all make it to the US model next year. And I hope that those new HID lights would fit on my 2001 ES. That'll be cool. Please keep us posted.

Domo Arigato.
  • Options
    Okay,I have read many posts and comments on other sites and they have all been good about the MPV. Will anyone venture a guess as to the resale value when compared to the Honda and Toyota vans?Will those same Mazda dealers who want so much for you to buy a new MPV not be as interested when you come back and trade it in? Will they be saying 'boy I wish this guy was trading in a Sienna or Odyssey'. Just a thought.
  • Options
    kellyannekellyanne Member Posts: 5
    If you buy the entertainment system the rebate goes up to $2095 instead of $1500. I tried to buy an ES this weekend, but the dealer here wouldn't deal. Actually he offered me an OK deal on the MPV, but then wanted to give me $2000 less than Nada, Kelly or Edmunds TMV trade-in values for my Honda CRV. No way! Oh well. I'm going to try to sell my car myself, and then maybe use an internet service like Autobytel or Carsdirect rather than have to deal with this dealership. Then the only problem is going there for service.....
  • Options
    hahaha, your post is too funny, I particularly dont care what they give for a tradein and heres my reasons:

1. This van is currently selling near invoice.
    2. This van is currently 4-5k under other van prices
    3. Most people I would assume will be driving it till it drops.
    4. What do you think a mini or suv will be running for in 7-10 years as far as price goes. My guess is 30k+ minimum. I for one don't expect to sell my van or suv for at least 8 years. By then it will be worth a lot less I'm sure.

If all you care about is trade in value then yes in 2 years the MPV may depreciate more then a toyota and honda, but who cares, and who really wants to get ripped trading something in.

Comparing the Mazda to the Honda and Toyota just doesn't make sense to me since they are so much cheaper to buy.

And lastly look at consumer reports, and check out what they say for vans to avoid. If I'm not mistaken the 1999 Honda Od is on that list.

I don't own an MPV but so far as I can tell it's competively priced.
  • Options
    marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    personally, i believe the MPV will do well in future trade in values.

1st, used car publications base their recommendations on reliability history. the MPV on its 1st year did very well, and the problems have been limited to a number of identifiable areas (ie. tie rods, misalignments). build quality of this van is very good. so once past the initial year, there would be little reason to see other problems.

2nd, actual negotiated purchase price is very low. if 3 or 5 years later they calculate the residual value based on todays MSRP then you have a really good price to start negotiation. if you negotiated a good price today you are pretty well ahead.

Now, imagine how difficult the situation will be for those Ody/Sienna owners who rushed to pay for above MSRP. Do you think they can factor those extra bucks in the future when these vans can be had nearer the invoice?

The only real concern i see will be the effect of the 3.0 litre on the current 2.5 engine.
    It will all depend on how Mazda will manage the new prices. Lucky me i anticipated a 3.0 litre and leased an MPV with a good residual value.

just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Good points,marcb and gunga64. If residual value is based on MSRP then the MPV should do okay when compared to ODY/Sienna. It may all come down to perception at the time of trade,because perception is reality in the car world regardless of any other common sense issues. With this in mind,perhaps I should look into leasing an MPV for 2 or 3 years. Has anyone received lease pricing lately or with the rebates maybe it is not worth it. It will depend on how Mazda calculates the residual value,maybe this will tell me if they will hold value. Why is life so complicated?