Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Thx for the link, Steve. So, the MPV's design hails from the folks in SoCal? No wonder malt likes it so much (being from SoCal and all ). Does anyone know the specs on the upgraded suspension and how they differ from the previous 2 years?
  • Options
    bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    I think that Mazda is general praised for the fit and finish of their vehicles (at least the ones that they build, not Ford knock offs). Be careful comparing vehicles in different categories. The fit and finish on my Mazda Protege certainly rivals if not beats my inlaws Honda Civic. Unfortunately, because of the type of vehicle a minivan is, it is more prone to problems and fit and finish issues than a small car or sedan. On the other hand, my MPV seems to have been built very well, all panels are even and straight and no problems otherwize. Sounds like an isolated instance to me. My inlaws will be coming down in a couple weeks with their 2001 Sienna...I will do some comparisons of fit and finish and try to post my opinions. (Not that I will be biased towards the MPV or anything!)
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    My Wife's 01 MPV and my 01 Protege's fit and finish are perfect. I'm totally impressed with the quality of Japanese built Mazdas. My Wife's old 95 626(Flat Rock, MI) was other story.

Pjd58
  • Options
    oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41

-
    -
    -
    -
    - -
    ____________-------
  • Options
    cas6cas6 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all. Thanks for the suggestions to fix the large scratch on the hood. I haven't decided which route I'll take, but when I do, I'll let everyone know the outcome.
    Keep up the great discussions.
  • Options
    That's some interesting ansi art there oldstyle I think it looks like a butterfly, hehehe! FWIW, the fit and finish of our MPV is pretty good, but, as with most things in life, there's room for improvement.
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    lol, yummy crickets! That's a pretty mental image.

More on topic.... I've gotten 14 bees splattered on the windshield since I got back on Saturday... which is why I queried about a deflector. I fig'rd they were useless. Not sure a LeBra would cut down on the impalements on the glass either. Thank goodness for that huge washer bottle!

/j
  • Options
    I was just preparing for the test I'll be taking when my wife checks me into the mental ward :-)

Actually I was playing around to see if I could post a picture of the "blue wedge" that's on one side of MPV but not present on the other side--the black paint between the pass. and sliding windows does not match up on top of the frames and forms a triangular wedge of blue paint instead of a stright thin blue line like the other side. Just saw that one last night and it put me over the edge, hence the post last PM. I must have hit a wrong key and it posted.

Anyway, please help me name our Van:
    (a) [plain] JANE, for a base LX with fogs;
    (b) GAPPER, self explanatoty and probablt self delusionary; or
    (c) WEDGE, for the blue wedge on one side

On the postive side:
    1. nice 200 hp engine, lots of pickup
    2. very quiet unlike the ody, but we have no rack
    3. good brakes, which the 95 quest did not have
    4. good looks
    5. handles very well, ZOOM, ZOOM
    6. frees up more space in our garage

Oh, Oh, i hear the door bell, must be the boys from Bellvue, gotta hide!

Regards

OldStyle

ps. I'll try to post later if they have the web on the ward
  • Options
    alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    In the article Steve posted a link to before, the author says: "The previous model was rated at 21 miles per gallon on the highway..." Where does this come from? I was under impression that it was 18/23 mpg and now it's 18/24. Am I missing something?
  • Options
    danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    Alex--I won't get in to whether or not your missing something but the reviewer is mixing and matching his MPVs. Sometimes when he refers to the 'old' MPV he means '00-'01like when he talks about more power under the hood. Other times he is referring to '98 and earlier like when he talks about the older model being rear wheel drive. According to cars.com the 98 was rated for 21mpg on the highway and 16 in the city for the rear wheel drive. 4wd was 15/19. Though I should note that the '02 MPV has more horses than either the '00-'01 or '98 and earlier versions.--danandkat
  • Options
    mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    ...of the "blue wedge" that's on one side of MPV but not present on the other side...
    That shouldn't be a problem because nobody looks at both sides at the same time. Usually you look at one side or the other :-) I did notice on a middle window pillar a triangular wedge of the body color but it is so small that you could probably argue that this supposed to be that way. I will try to take a snapshot and post it tonight then you can tell us if this is it.

MB
  • Options
    Looking forward to the pic....wish we had a digital camera :(

BTW, for those who are into detailing, I called mazada and they said the alloy wheels are painted and clear coated. So, use something safe to clean um, like Eagle 1 A2Z tire cleaner.

Regards

OldStyle

Ps. It was just the paperboy at the door last night...Thank god :)
  • Options
    Last night I went out and bought a second wash bucket, two chenille mitts, micro-fiber towels, Mother's clay bar, and my Klasse is ordered and being shipped. Hope the wife will appreciate how good her MPV is going to look!
  • Options
    The only flaw I discovered is the paint on the window pilar. On the first photo I marked the area. On the second photo I blowed it up. Tell me if this is it?....MB

• Options
    MB: I saw your pics and ran downstairs into the garage and yeppers, that be it. Looks like it's part of the design or painting process. Will be going to my local mazda dealer this weekend to look at the MPVs on the lot. I just told my wife to call Belvue and let um know they don't need to come yet. It's pretty cool that the good folks here will take the time like MB did and help out a fellow MPVer from going crazy.

Many Thanks MB, looks like i won't need that sedative tonight :(

Regards,

OldStyle
  • Options
    beachnut: That's a great list--Klasse rules. One comment, be sure your mitts are 100% cotton chenille (they will have the cotton label). I could not find any in all the stores here in the greater Youngstown, OH area and ended up ordering them from CMA at the following link:

http://www.properautocare.com/index.html

This place has great stuff--microfiber wash mitts for starters :) Also, for some good prices on microfiber towels check out:

http://yosteve.homestead.com/startpage.html and http://neatitems.com/default.htm

You probably already know this, but if not, check out the forums at http://www.autopia-carport.com, lots of good tips on detailing and products. I have been searching the forums and have came up with a list of stuff I need to deal with tar, bird bombs, and bugs.

Regards,

OldStyle

ps. my detailing is limited to washing every 2 weeks and paying a pro every 4 months to polish and wax due to a herniated disk in my lower back.

• Options
    woodchuck2woodchuck2 Member Posts: 2
    I would appreciate any help anyone could lend on the following questions:

1. Is the $1000 dealer cash still in effect?

2. I have seen previous posts mention the $1000 is not available if the 0% financing is chosen, is the same true for the special 4.9%? (This doesn't make much sense to me in either case since the $1000 has not been advertised to my knowledge, and I imagine the point is for Mazda to allow their dealers more flexibility in pricing. If the average buyer doesn't know about it, but comes in because of dealer advertisements with lower prices, aren't they going to want the lower APR also?)

3. I also have the S-Plan option. Does anyone know what the approximate S-Plan price of an ES model is? Hopefully below invoice.

Thanks.
  • Options
    owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    If you need a starting point on pricing, a week and a half ago, I bought a 2002 MPV ES with sunroof, 6 disc CD changer, fog lights, roof rack, 4 seasons package, and bumper plate for a grand total of 28,000. That total included the dreaded Virginia Processing fee of 220, 800 sales tax, 100 title fees/taxes. So, that put the price of the van @ 26880 (including $520 destination fee). The invoice price on the van was $27418. I have been told that this is below the S-Plan ($50 under invoice).

RBB
  • Options
    once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    Having just been thru the process, I can tell you that the $1,000 is available at least thru 5/31 on vans that are "delivered" (I have to go in and sign papers prior to that day to qualify, even though my van my not be in yet). But it is up to the dealers, and they won't advertise that it is available, you have to request it.

As for financing, the dealer told me that I could only have my price if I did outside financing (my price was invoice -$1,000 + $270).

jw
  • Options
    m1tommym1tommy Member Posts: 29
    Our 96 Corolla wagon seems to have shrunk the past year, so we are looking at minivans. Almost as an afterthought, I decided to stroll up the lot from the Honda (where I drove a nice, albeit choppy riding, Oddessey) to the Mazda dealer. Well, the MPV seems sort of like an Oddessey-Lite, with salesmen without the attitude. Sure its not as big as the Honda, but I am not convinced we need that much space.

The test drive went well. The dealership has an MPV LX with a roof rack, rear A/C, package 1LX, a DVD player setup (hanging screen, wireless headphones, DVD player under the drivers seat), and leather upholstery by, Classic Soft Trim, listing for $25,010. The dealer seemed very eager to mention the he would really like to "deal for me". Per the Kelleys Blue Book print out, this is just a bit above invoice already, not including the leather upholstery. The vehicle now has 22 miles on its odometer. Am I missing something, or might I get a decent deal here. A $1800 bill for getting the '89 Toyota pickup repaired has us watching finances a bit more closely.

Oh, there is an antenna inside the van, along the top of the windshield, sort of a T-shaped; shaped affair with the wire barely visible going into the headliner. Is this for the DVD/TV tuner?

Does this sound like a deal in the making? Opinions or advice are appreciated.

I hope this is not too blasé for the forum. I've only recently discovered Edmunds. These forums seem a good source of information.

Tommy
  • Options
    Looks like your dealer likes to add aftermarket items....Leather & DVD. Hard to say if it's a good deal, I don't know the quality of the leather and DVD player. Do you need a DVD player and Leather? You could easily find a 02LX with Security Pkg, Rear air, Roofrack for around $23000. I recommend rear air, even if you live north. I'm not big fan of VHS & DVD players in cars. I believe the kids get enough TV at home and most of our trips with the MPV are short commutes. We did purchase a 9" TV/VHS player(BEST BUY $150) for our once a year vacation.

Your windshield antenna is for the TV tuner, you should still have a standard mast antenna on the right side of the van for your AM/FM player.

Our family of 4 loves our 01LX and we have plenty of room.
    Good Luck,
    Pjd58
  • Options
    Sir, We just learned that the leather interior and "entertainment system" are not included in that $25k "list price". Your, "...kids get enough TV at home..." is right on. It is not a selling point and we were sure the salesman knew that. My parents are a 10-11 hour drive, about twice a year, so thanks for the tip about the $150 TV. Yes, there is a typical mast antenna installed. Best Buy is about 6 miles from me. The leather appeal is likely a guy thing, as I really REALLY liked the smell and feel. My wife is pretty nonchalant about the leather. We're in the South, near Houston, TX, so rear A/C is a must, as is the roof rack for the nerdy cartop carrier that we use for the long trips.

My company gets me an "S price" via Ford. I left the folks at the dealership with some homework, to give the "S price" for several different configurations. It's in their court now.

Also, they have a loaner with 6k miles, a 200 ES with many bells and whistles in an, umm, interesting electric blue that the wife strangely likes. We may look at it closer. My only concern is the engine.

Thank you for the reply,
    Tommy
  • Options
    Hello group, A nearby dealer has a 2000 model Mazda ES, with about every bell and whistle available. The van has 6,300 miles. I wrote it off as a completely obnoxious electric blue, but my wife, who will spend 90%+ of the time behind its wheel, really liked it.

Long story short, we pulled up to the Mazda dealership to watch it drive off, sold. Oh well, we drove another '02 MPV LX and liked it, albeit more expensive. On our return, we learned that the family who bought the loaner ES had some sort of falling out on the way home and returned it!

Are there any "GOTCHAS" in buying a loaner? The factory warranty is still in effect for some time (say 43k miles and 2 1/2 years... time from when the dealer "bought" it). The sticker price is right at the Edmund's "Certified Used Vehicle", of $19.5k, and indicated willingness "to deal". We certainly don't NEED all the bells and whistles, but the price is lower than a new MPV with less stuff. I am thinking that perhaps extended warranty might be in the "dealings", as we usually keep vehicles long term.

Advice or opinions are appreciated. We'll likely look it over again tomorrow.

Tommy

P.S. This also cross-posted on "Minivan Shopping", If this is frowned upon by the host(s), please advise me and I'll delete one of the postings.
    T.
  • Options
    Wow! $19.5 seems really high for a 2000 ES. I know that's what Edmund's says, but I probably would start at the trade-in price of $15.5 and move up maybe to $17. Make sure they sell it to you as a Certified Used Mazda no matter what you pay. That means an extra 12K miles/1 year warranty on top of whatever is remaining on the factory warranty.
  • Options
    Yes, They ALL seem expensive nowadays! That $19.5k is also the Edmunds "Dealer Retail" for a "Certified Used Mazda". If we seriously consider the vehicle, then I am thinking that I would make that condition a must. It is at a Mazda dealership. If they wouldn't, I would press them as to what might be wrong with the van that they won't give this, given the high asking price. Of course I would NOT pay their asking price.

Thanks for the reply,
    Tommy
  • Options
    The color is Sapphire Blue, I kinda like it, Wifey had to have Sand Mica. That Blue was discontinued for 02. I agree w/Beachnut 16k range is all it's worth. Heck!, it's a 2 year old van!

Hope everyone had a happy and safe holiday. The Ohio State troopers were handing out speeding tickets like popcorn this weekend. None for me,Thank you:)

Pjd58
  • Options
    woodchuck2woodchuck2 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had an aftermarket DVD or VHS system installed in their MPV. We just got our '02 ES and I am looking at several models. A Panasonic with 7" flip down screen and a Rosen model at Best Buy. If anyone has experience with these systems and how well they installed/work Iwould greatly appreciate the advice.
  • Options
    prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    During our Memorial Day mini trip, our 2002 LX graduated to over 5000 trouble free miles. Towing our newly acquired small trailer was no problem, until we reached 8,500 feet. We had to turn back, the van could barely move anymore. May be if we could have shifted in first gear... But then again, the Sonora pass goes above 10,000. We were lucky enough to be able to turn back.

What impressed me the most was the MPV behavior on dirt roads. Going up and down steep canyons on an unpaved road was a breeze. The van is so well put together, hardly anything rattled.

Overall mileage was somewhat poor, but if you consider the 5 passengers, the A/C and the trailer, bearable. This trip was a practice run, before our big CA2MA and back July extravaganza.

From our day of purchase I felt we'd done the right move, now I am sure of it.
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    ;)

TB
    With a turbo in the future of his SVT and possibly the 2000 MPV
  • Options
    We bought an '02 model LX, white, with just the items we (well, wifey) really wanted. The sales folks were great, putting up with 5 or 6 test drives and my repeated visits over a 10 day period. The dealer gave me a voucher, so I could buy an upgrade to leather through "Classic Soft Trim" for a substantial discount, if within the next year.

All seem pleased with the MPV.

Thanks to all who replied to my posts.
    Tommy
  • Options
    That's great! Welcome to the clan! I'm envious of all you '02 owners out there.

/j
  • Options
    billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Now that you're part of what Doc calls the "clan," stick around and keep us up to date on how it's going with your new van [i.e., how much you love it--why be different from the rest of us?]
    Welcome aboard and Happy Miles!

RJ
  • Options
    Congrats and welcome!

Pjd58
  • Options
    matluomamatluoma Member Posts: 18
    Congrats on the purchase.... and I'm glad you (er your significant other) got the van they were looking for.
  • Options
    liebesiliebesi Member Posts: 33
    has anyone seen the DVD player yet? KBB says end of May availability? I know the cost is $960 inv and $1200 MSRP but I have not seen one yet?
  • Options
    In Best Buy I saw Toshiba 9"TV with DVD built in for $300+ This unit also has AV inputs and cable TV hookup.

MB
  • Options
    Wow, that's a smokin' price. I'll have to check that out too! Thanks!

/j
  • Options
    It's lunchtime, think I'm headed over to Best Buy 8-) I know this has been discussed before (but I'm lazy). How would one anchor that device? Java, would you put yours on top of your Wallyworld contraption? hehehe
  • Options
    Why, duct tape of course!!! Isn't this thingy a roof-mounted item? If so, then you're going to need some Wrigleys or Bubble-Yum.

/j
  • Options
    Thanks mazda_guy --- you gave me a good excuse to go there (as if I ever need much of one!). The 9" Toshiba was $349.99, um, I guess that's what you meant by the "+" part, huh? Still a good deal, though. Don't know how much they'd run in AK, Java. As Steve would say: YMMV!

I'll have to say that I'm pretty much in Pete's camp on the "kids get too much TV" thing. But I can understand how folks who travel long distances might want some type of RES. My friend with the Sedona has one. He told me that when they turn on a movie after a long day out it's like tagging the kids with tranquilizer darts - they're snoozing in minutes! (Not that I condone such activity ) For us, we rarely take long trips, mostly <3 hours. Consequently, I didn't buy the TV, but I did go next door and pick up a new pair of TeVa's!

Liebesi, et al: I&#146;m sure that Audia8q could post something regarding the DVD system.
  • Options
    Which is cheaper, the entertainment system or the tranqs, Beach? I tend to agree... kids get too much TV, but a RSES system could stave off a civil war on a road-trip.

I must have been confused. This dvd system you are talking 'bout isn't a ceiling mounted system? If not, drats. Ah, I still have the laptop and the power converter for the summer trips. Although not perfect, it may work for now.

Our Best Buy isn't open yet (August...they say), but prices would be about the same as the rest of the Yanks' stores.
  • Options
    It was the standard TV setup, about 15Hx10Wx12D, definitely not ceiling mountable, even with Bubble-Yum! But as I scrolled back and read Woodchuck2's post, he mentioned a 7" Panasonic flip down. Darn! Looks like I'm gonna have to go back and check it out ;-)
  • Options
    budmelonbudmelon Member Posts: 27
    I'm not sure what kind of laptop you have but I have a Toshiba Satellite laptop and it won't fit inbetween the front seat. I was very upset because I upgraded my old computer to the Toshiba so I can play DVD movies in it and keep my daughter happy but it didn't happen. So I ended up buying on of those portable DVD player with 6" screen and that is working good so far. If you haven't try putting you laptop inbetween the seat, you should try it now before you leave on any long trip.
  • Options
    Thx budmelon. I put my laptop between (and just behind) the front seats using the case (I can hear some people shreeking already, lol), suspended w/its straps and it worked really well on a trial run. The DVD player will play inverted or on its side, so that made things easy for me. The 14" screen is really nice too. You're right, it definitely wouldn't fit between the seats, since there's only about 9" or so of space.

However, I really, really like the idea of having a headrest mounted system, but cringe at the thought of defacing the van's headrests. Then, I stumbled across Xenarc Technologies. They have a mounting kit that attaches to the posts of your headrest and then attaches to Xenarc's monitors. No muss, no fuss. I may have to look into these guys. I'll inform anyone of what I find, since a cursory look at their prices is inticing.
    /j
  • Options
    audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    go back a little and you can see the details about the MPV "factory installed" DVD. Roof mounted.
    $1200 if it's factory installed and a bit more if it's dealer installed.
    Remember, if goober or festus at best buys zaps something in your van (we get a few per year) the repair bill and endless electrical problems are not covered by mazda.
  • Options
    Javadoc, here is the link to Best Buy Toshiba I personally prefer stand alone units not the installed ones because when we go camping we can take TV to the tent or to the cabin. The unit is so small that probably you could figure out some way to install a bracket for it.

MB
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    At Six Flags yesterday. Took a day off in the middle of the week, to beat the crowds and celebrate the 12yo's official beginning of summer vacation.

Whipped out of the driveway, cutting a good apex as we enter the street. Wifey gave me one of those looks. I said, it's just as good as any of those rides we are going to pay $30/person to enter the park and ride.

Not impressed she was.

Managed to still turn in a 19MPG half tank of fuel. Considering about 1/3 of that was her around town and 2/3s was my hot footing it to the park on mostly expressway driving, the 2000 Sapphire Blue MPV ES did fine.

Now if I could get the girls to clean the inside...

TB
  • Options
    owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    Another way of mounting a laptop or small TV (9" TV/VCR combo) is to use a wedge shaped cushion available at the local Target in the automotive section. It is meant to strap down the device at an angle so the backseaters can view it.

RBB
  • Options
    marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    check out the toyota sienna discussion. they've been comparing the sienna and the mpv for the last 30 or so posts. i like the part where they say the choice all boiled down to personality, and that mpv owners are more on the adventurous wilder side (-;

almost makes me wanna gel my hair orange spikes, grow a goattee, and don metal studded dog collars.

marc b,
    soon to be...

.!.
    \\!//
    , .
    @
    "
    -Q-
    -x-x-x-
  • Options
    I agree completely. We entered the minivan shopping search having owned Toyotas since '81 and with the Sienna being the strong favorite of my wife, whose sister owns one that she really likes. The other competition (Chev., Ford, Honda, Pontiac) was eliminated within one outing of test drives, or even sooner. For instance, my wife sat in a Honda Oddessey and announced, "I don't like it I can't feel where anything is I can't see out I don't like the steering wheel now let's go see the Mazda you keep talking about!"

It came down to a few haggling sessions with the Toyota salesman (harping about the superior resalability of Toyotas but wouldn't offer me dirt on my '96 Corolla wagon with 68.7k miles) and my thinking that the Toyotas were... rathar dull... good but dull. 2003 will see an even larger Sienna, definately not the direction we wanted to go. They are MINIvans, aren't they?!?

The Mazda seems more fun, tighter handling, better sound system (even with the 4 speaker system), much better pricing with a company program, as well as being offered nearly Kelly's "private resale value" for my Toyota on trade-in (after settling on the van price, no dealer attempt to confuse the two).

My only issue with our MPV is that my wife has labled it,

"Nubby Van"... ugh....

Tommy, incapable of:

.!.
    \\!//
    , .
    @
    "
    -Q-
    -x-x-x-

(no hair on top and refinery won't let me grow a beard of ANY sort)