Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Civic 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    viktoria_rviktoria_r Member Posts: 103
    Did anyone drive both? How is NHV in both? I drive a lot on the highway, so this is important to me. I had a 98 Accord when they just came out -too much NHV for the price, otherwise a fine car. I do not care too much about cornering or precise handling. Comfortable ride and quiteness is more important to me. Also, is Civic powrful enogh for 4 adult-size passengers? Any opinions? Thanks
  • Options
    joshuae73joshuae73 Member Posts: 21
    Yes, I think my gas mileage can't go much higher than 38.7 considering it is an EX...

Also considering I have recently been learning how fun it can be to rev up to 5500 before shifting (:

Is that safe? Does it wear the clutch much faster?
  • Options
    pvillapvilla Member Posts: 12
    HELLO , MY WIFE AND I JUST PURCHASED THE 01 CIVIC EX IN ETERNAL BLUE.SO FAR
    WE LOVE THE CAR. WE PAID 17500 W/FACTORY SPOILER,WAS THIS A GOOD DEAL?SALESPERSON SEEMED HONEST AND WAS HELPFUL WHICH IS WHY I AGREED.

ALSO,MR. FINANCE MANAGER PRETTY MUCH FORCED THE HONDA CARE 7YR/75000 WARRANTY.THIS WAS OUR FIRST TIME BUYING A NEW CAR,SO WE FIQURED WHY NOT.. I OWNED USED HONDAS ALL MY LIFE I KNOW THEY PRETTY MUCH LAST OVER 150000K. WAS IT WORTH PAYING THE EXTRA$$? NEED OPINION,THANK!
  • Options
    Yes, I think my gas mileage can't go much higher than 38.7 considering it is an EX...

Also considering I have recently been learning how fun it can be to rev up to 5500 before shifting (:

Is that safe? Does it wear the clutch much faster?
  • Options
    Was that price before or after tax and license?

Also, is it automatic or manual?

Is it a coupe or a sedan?

Does the price include the extended warranty?
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Anyone know if the Civic can handle an aftermarket center arm rest and console like those on the Focus or the Golf. I am really upset that the best the EX can do is a Hyundai Accent type driver arm rest that is too narrow and too short to be of much use. The center console is also pathetic in terms of storage, with only the EX having the little sliding cover. I know the EX arm rest is an after market option. Guess the limiting factor is the clearance width between the seats and the position of the emergency brake.
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    For long distance comfort, I'd lean to the Accord. For more bells and whistles for the dollar, and better mileage, the Civic. Considering that some dealers will let sell you an Accord DX VP for 14,795 plus freight and prep, how can you lose? Some even have side air bags for another $250.
  • Options
    IT IS AN AUTO SEDAN.BEFORE TAXES AND THE WARRANTY WAS XTRA..I COULD OF PAID A LITTLE OVER DEALER INV. THROUGH CARSDIRECT,BUT WITH NO SPOILER AND NOT THE COLOR I WAS LOOKIN FOR.I GOT A GREAT APR THROUGH THE DEALER AND I WILL MOST LIKELY PAY THE CAR OFF IN 4YRS SO I SAID WHAT THE HELL..
  • Options
    sounds within reasonable range, considering you got a very good APR, but you could have done better by at least a few hundred. At least you knew you could get it around invoice, so it's not like you were cheated.
  • Options
    scooter62scooter62 Member Posts: 18
    Folks-
    Here's a list of Honda parts and accessories sellers on the net (at least the ones I've found):

hondapartsforyou.com
    hparts.com
    discount-hondaparts.com
  • Options
    Here's more listings:
    usahondapartsdirect.com
    hondacarparts.com
    hondadiscountparts.com
    The first 3 have the best websites; hparts.com has live customer service.
  • Options
    36.6 MPG this time

$1.879 per gallon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    coupe2001coupe2001 Member Posts: 100
    I have the same problem on my wife's 2K1 Civic LX sedan. Reads empty, but will only take 9 gallons of gas. Dealer tried to fix it once, won't touch it anymore. Keeps saying Honda is working on a fix. Personally, I'm very upset. If it never get's fixed then I will never buy another Honda. Simple as that.
  • Options
    "I'm upset: every time I try to fill up my tank after driving 330 miles, it only takes 9 gallons!"

It's a blessing in disguise.

That reminds me of the guy who complains the restaurant has such bad food and the portions are too small.
  • Options
    dudkadudka Member Posts: 451
    how much was the warranty? if the mr. finance guy said that the only way to get honda finance is to get the exteneded warranty you should have walked away. i did at paragon honda in queens,NY, and bought the car in new jersey instead at d&c honda with no warranty being a pre-requisite to get honda finance (4.9% back in septmeber 1999) i later bought an extended warranty (honda care) from a dealer in vermont for $600 for a 7 year/100 000 mile coverage.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    OK, I have a 2001 LX Accord auto and really miss a stick. I am considering a Civic EX sedan 5 speed but am concerned it runs at high rpms on the highway. Is this a problem? My 98 EX civic ran OK and got 35 mpg. Is the 01 any better and does it have good power?
    INKY
  • Options
    mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    If you liked your 98 EX then you will probably like the 01 EX because nothing has drastically changed that much. Highway RPMs are about the same in both 98 and 01 EX 5sp.
  • Options
    I don't like the high RPM on the freeway either, but my gas mileage has thus far been:

Can't complain.

I think I get about the same MPG going 45 MPH in 5th gear and going 75 MPH in 5th gear. It beats an automatic for fun and mileage anyday.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Not sure what you are talking about...?

At 70MPH in 5th gear what are your RPMS?

I'm curious.
  • Options
    woatawoata Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,
    I am ready to purchase a EX model but couldn't find it in white, does Honda make EX in white this year??
    I am located in Orange Country, CA
    If anyone knew any dealer willing to sell a EX Automatic around or below dealer invoice, please let me know. thanks!!
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    He can tell you about colors.

I have some experience with SoCal dealers, I believe you can get the EX at or possibly a bit below invoice, providing inventories are still strong.
  • Options
    At 65 MPH in 5th gear, my '01 manual civic EX sedan revs at about 3150. At 70, it's probably around 3350.

My wife has a '96 automatic EX sedan, which revs well below 3000 at 65 MPH. This seems strange.

At idle my car revs around 500. My wife's says something like 100, so maybe her revometer is broken.
  • Options
    bordsourcebordsource Member Posts: 95
    Mine does exactly 3500 at 72 mph.
  • Options
    I have you all beat - my Gen 6 HX 5m does 3000 rpm at 80 mph. The downside is lethargic pickup at any speed between 50 and 80 mph. Above 80 mph gets you out of the "lean-burn" range and suddenly the car has much better acceleration.

p.s. I average about 41 mpg during the summer months, with or without A/C on. The wide gear ratios have a lot to do with the higher mpg.
  • Options
    In Los Angeles area, I went to a few dealers and they were all willing to offer me prices right around invoice. I snatched mine up $26 below invoice, including floormats. Getting a good deal makes driving the car even better, for whatever reason.

Now, buying a new house... I feel like I'm not getting a good deal. You can't bargain?!? I would be paying this thing off the rest of my life! After interest it's like a million bucks! I think I'll be staying in my 1 bedroom apartment thank you very much.
  • Options
    "The lousy resale values of a Hyundai continue."

Hyundai resale will continue to increase not remain low. The fact that their cars are considered among some of the best is amazing. But somebody please tell me why Hyundai thinks it's important to put Michelins and folding outside mirrors on its Elantras, but Honda on its Civic does not. I'll tell you why: Because Honda has become complacent and hopes you won't notice these cost saving (to Honda) details. The Civic is becoming more like the Elantra USED to be.

Oh, yes, GM products are viewed throughout the world as mediocre, 2nd rate. Why I still see people driving around in new Sunbirds boggles my mind. It's as if they thought that the Sunbird was their only choice.
  • Options
    strong68strong68 Member Posts: 22
    I've noticed that my backup lights are sort of a reddish/pink color instead of the normal clear plastic that covers the backup lights. Has anyone else noticed this?
  • Options
    strong68strong68 Member Posts: 22
    I've had my 2001 Civic Sedan for a little over a week now and I've noticed that when the automatic shifts the tachometer while keep rising like it will never shift into 3rd and then it finally does. 1st and 2nd are close together and shift smoothly, but it seems it takes a long time to shift into 3rd and 4th. The RPMS's are high when it finally shifts. Anyone else noticed this on the 2001 LX? Is this normal and part of the ULEV designation?
  • Options
    philly595philly595 Member Posts: 4
    In the purchase agreement already typed in there is a $189 fee for THEFT AVERT WINDOW ETCHING.
    The sales guy told me this is not optional. Is that true?
  • Options
    TO DUDKA- IT WAS PRECISELY AT PARAGON HONDA THAT I BOUGHT THE CIVIC.
    THEY GAVE ME A 7.8APR WITH THE WARRANTY TO QUALIFY.IT PROBABLY WAS B/S..
    BUT THE RATE WAS DEFINENTLY BETTER THAN ANYTHING ELSE I WAS OFFERED. MY BIG CONCERN IS ABOUT THE HONDA CARE WARRANTY. ASIDE FROM MAYBE BESTBUY'S SERVICE PLANS..I THINK MOST EXTENDED SERVICE PLANS BITE. I WAS WONDERING IF ANYBODY HAS HAD ANY COMPLAINTS...SINCE IT IS MOST LIKLEY I WILL KEEP THE CAR AFTER THE STANDARD WARRANTY.THANKS
  • Options
    Not sure why...Honda does some strange things sometimes with colors.

And...the L.A. market is a brutal, cuthroat place. I know I wouldn't like selling cars in that enviroment. Yeah, you can get a deal, but be careful.

And I'm actually from there.
  • Options
    ian2ian2 Member Posts: 168
    I don't know how you guys are getting those amazingly high MPG figures. My 98 non-VTEC gets 33mpg at best. I do have 195/60R14 tires though, but it should affect the milage that much, should it?
  • Options
    peregrine_11peregrine_11 Member Posts: 27
    Hey Philly...

I'm not a Civic owner--I'm actually two weeks away from taking delivery of a brand-new Protege ES, but I come in peace. :)

I saw your post about the window etching and wanted to tell you that my understanding is that this is a scam. If you go to http://www.carbuyingtips.com and look at the dealer scams, this is the latest one (old ones used to be rustproofing, scotchguarding your seats, etc...). This is what the site has to say:

Scam Of The Month

The "Window Etching" Scam

How it works: Dealers add a $300 window etching fee, saying you won't get a loan otherwise. This costs $40 at auto glass shops. Analyze the stupidity: The VIN is on dashes, hoods, doors, quarter panels, it doesn't stop your car from getting stolen. VIN etching on glass won't either. Your TINY insurance discount does not recover the cost of the etching.

How to avoid the scam: Refuse to pay for it, even if it's on the car.

You might want to call an auto glass shop and ask them if they have this etching kit--that way you can have a little ammo when you ask your dealer exactly why you should pay $189 for it if you can do it for almost 1/5 the cost ON YOUR OWN.

I didn't encounter this with my Mazda purchase, so I can't speak from any experience, but I would fight this pretty hard. If they won't relent, smile nicely and go to another dealer...

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    cwosignscwosigns Member Posts: 13
    Geez...I love this Town Hall thing.

First about the 'revometer'. I think I got cheated. My car didn't come with a revometer. I just have the standard temperature, fuel, speedometer and tach. Should I take it back?

And about those pink back-up lights. I'm a long-time fan of Honda, and I first noticed this trend on the 98-00 Accord sedan. The back-up lights and rear turn signals are covered in a pinkish-red plastic lens to give the rear of the car a clean, uniform look. I think the 99-00 Civic sedan was the same way, but not sure. For 01, Honda changed the rear of the sedan again by giving both the back-up lights and turn signals a CLEAR lens, while leaving the amber bulb in for the turn signals and moving them to the bottom of the tail light casing. Honda isn't the only manufacturer that updates the rear of their cars in this manner. Toyota did it w/the Sienna this year, and also w/the updated '96 Corolla.

Chris
  • Options
    civic_cx_92civic_cx_92 Member Posts: 87
    These are EPA numbers from kbb.com

2000 Honda Civic sedan
    185/65-14 tires
    EX w/4-Cyl. 1.6L VTEC Engine & Manual Trans.: City 30; Hwy 35
    EX w/4-Cyl. 1.6L VTEC Engine & Auto Trans.: City 28; Hwy 35

185/65-14 tires
    DX & LX w/4-Cyl. 1.6L Engine & Manual Trans.: City 32; Hwy 37
    DX & LX w/4-Cyl. 1.6L Engine & Auto Trans.: City 28; Hwy 35

2001 Honda Civic sedan
    185/65-15 tires
    EX w/4-Cyl. 1.7L VTEC Engine & Manual Trans.: City 32; Hwy 37
    EX w/4-Cyl. 1.7L VTEC Engine & Auto Trans.: City 31; Hwy 38

185/70-14 tires
    DX & LX w/4-Cyl. 1.7L Engine & Manual Trans.: City 32; Hwy 39
    DX & LX w/4-Cyl. 1.7L Engine & Auto Trans.: City 30; Hwy 38

The 33 mpg you're seeing doesn't seem all that bad to me, do you have automatic? The 195/60-14's probably weigh more so it might hurt 1-2 mpg, also check tire pressure.
    I drive a 5-sp 1992 Civic CX hatchback with 175/70-13's on it and get 36 mpg city/hwy mix.
  • Options
    It is common knowledge that manual transmission gets better MPG than automatic.

Then why is the highway MPG for the EX sedan higher in the automatic?

EX automatic: 31/38
    EX manual : 32/37
  • Options
    s852s852 Member Posts: 1,051
    It is not common knowledge.
    Usually a manual will get higher mileage if everything is equal, however, several posts above show that the the 5 speed models have a short top gear that revs higher than the automatic at highway speeds.
    This makes the manual noisier on the highway and also burns more gas.
    The advantage of the manual will be lower initial cost, less maintenance (other than replacing a worn clutch) and better performance.
    The gas mileage advantage of stick shifts is going away as modern automatics become more and more efficient.
  • Options
    It is common knowledge that manual transmission gets better MPG than automatic.

Then why is the highway MPG for the EX sedan higher in the automatic?

EX automatic: 31/38
    EX manual : 32/37
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    when I drive a manual tranny, I tend to have fun with it. Not shifting at 2800 rpm's like the automatic. I am certain that most automatic cars, in the real world, do get better mpg's that the 5 speeds. It is not the car though - it is the driver :)
  • Options
    russo_prusso_p Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have heard that civics are great cars and last a long time. I am looking at at 98 civic LX with 34000 miles on it (5-speed). Is engine noise usually loud on these models? What else should I be looking at in this car? Any problems to look out for?

Thanks
  • Options
    oh yeah by the way did you (pvilla) get window etching at paragon? when i was there, every car on the lot has been etched. i had a very untrusty feeling at paragon. i do go there to get my oil changes done, since paragon is the only honda dealer open in sundays, i spoke with my salesman, after he asked me why i walked away from such a good deal (near invoice price) i told him about the finance guy (who by the way is married to the owner`s daughter, i think) he just nodded, i am sure he has lost a few sales because of this guy. neither extended warranty nor etching makes you qualify for honda finance, it is determined at the head office, not at the dealer. u sually when you go into the finance office the finance guy already knows whether you qualified or not. and the rest is just BS. when i went to D&C honda in tennafly, i bought the car without a hitch, negotiated the price (just told him that i new what he paid for it and that the dealer had an incentive from honda, it was spetember, what is his price?) it all took less than half hour. he told me the car will be in in three weeks. got a call two weeks later to confirm and remind to have insurance ready (he already has given me the VIN). the salesman offered to pick me up from the bronx to get the car, went in, salesman insisted that i test drive the car, signed on the dotted line, got paper plates, and left. no hassles. two weeks later got metal plates in the mail and registration. i loved it!!! compare to paragon, i spent nearly 6 hours there, and left without a car.
  • Options
    tlindeman1tlindeman1 Member Posts: 23
    I have sold my minivan (94 Villager...great vehicle but need more than the 20 mpg average with these gas prices!) and intend to buy a 2001 Civic LX sedan next week. I have driven both the 5 spd. and automatic and thought I would enjoy driving a 5 spd. again (it was a lot of fun). I am a little concerned about the low top gear in the 5 spd. though and the higher revs on the highway and more noise (I do a lot of freeway driving)...how much difference is there in freeway revs between the auto and 5 spd.? Does the auto REALLY come within 1 or 2 mpg of the 5 spd.? I appreciate any owners experience or input...
  • Options
    justinjustin Member Posts: 1,918
    than the 5 speed this year. By one I think...
  • Options
    Because autos have a lock-up top gear, their mileage is rarely different from their 5sp versions in highway driving, assuming top gear ratios are similar. It's the city driving where autos are less efficient, thus the 1mpg lower rating for the EX in city. Also, an auto weighs more than a manual contributing to a slightly lower mpg.
  • Options
    logger1logger1 Member Posts: 14
    We're looking at Civic for second car. However, my wife is concered about a sense that car is not gripping road like our earlier Accord, present Ody, or the 2000 Civic we drove last year.

She likes the Ex a little better than Lx, but neither gives her a "safe" feeling. She is an excellent driver, but we live in Fresno, so driving is often a challenge, and you don't want distractions. Don't want to test the crash protection systems ourselves.

Any ideas on tire alternatives, pressure etc.?

Lou H
  • Options
    take an aftermarket suspension and put it in the gen 7 civic, along with grippier tires, and maybe upsize the tire if the stock is 185/65-14 go to 195/55-15 this way the speedometer will stay the same and the suspension geometry will not change.
    instead of the whole suspension swap, you can try either adjustable shocks and spring combo, or just stiffer shock absorbers. but why would you do it to a new car, you can probably find a gen 6 civic for sale.
  • Options
    who makes 5w-20 oil (synth or dino) and where to find it?
  • Options
    Trying to figure out what is so challenging about driving in Fresno.

The tule fog? Oh...nevermind, I remember!
  • Options
    ron27614ron27614 Member Posts: 2
    Does anyone know of a way to put the Daytime Running Light (DRL) function found on the Canadian market Civics on a US market 2001 Civic LX ? The DRL module is available, but I have not been able to locate where the module would connect. Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    bordsourcebordsource Member Posts: 95
    How did you calculate the tire circumference? I halfway want to upsize the tires on my EX, but both Tirerack.com & Tires.com recommend 215/50/16s, which I find way too big. Do you have any suggestions?