Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Production begins Week #6 2005, with deliveries beginning late February 2005(East Coast); late March for us on the left coast...Enjoy!!! Think 2001.5 Revisited...
  • Options
    jlmoranjlmoran Member Posts: 16
    Hi, everyone! Just wanted to introduce myself to the board, as I just purchased a brand new 2003 Passat GLX sedan with Automatic, ESP and trunk mounted CD changer. I got it in Fresco Green Metallic -- that color has really come to grow on me the more I see it, and oddly enough it looks even better on a cloudy/rainy day than on a sunny day -- with grey leather.

Got a pretty good price on it, too -- $28,276! And I'm doing the 1.9% financing for 60 months, so the payments are quite reasonable.

I'm taking ownership of the car tomorrow morning -- just waiting for them to install the CD changer at the dealership. I can't wait!
  • Options
    Congratulations & Welcome to the Volkswagen Family!!!!
  • Options
    I've seen postings about K&N filters from folks on a car maintenance discussion board that I belong to. From what I've seen, they look like something worth considering -- they seem to last a heck of a long time, and instead of replacing them, you just have them cleaned every 30 - 50 thousand miles or so and just put it back in.

I also get the impression that they help give the engine a few extra HP -- I assume by better filtering the air going into the engine and thus letting it mix better with the gasoline and burning better or more cleanly. Is this correct?

Has anyone here used these filters? Are they in fact a worthwhile investment? Would my dealer install it for me if I brought it in with me to a service check? I'm 100% car maintenance illiterate and have neither the tools, the money, nor the time to put in parts like this myself.

Thanks for the help!
  • Options
    gatorsnapgatorsnap Member Posts: 56
    K&N filters are good - they allow your engine to breathe easier and most likely you will see a small horsepower gain. I would not run them as long as a regular VW filter however. In fact I will not run a paper filter as long as VW says you can - I checked my stock filter at 20,000 and wish I had checked it at 10,000.
        The K&N allows greater flow but uses oil to trap the dust particles, etc. you have to clean them and re-oil them, and if one uses too much oil it can screw things up. I'm not sure in a Passat's case how many cleanings / re-oiling a K&N can take, but my experience with other vehicles tells me that they do wear out and do not last indefinitely.
        Unless you are looking at chipping and catback exhaust too, I wouldn't.... although it it won't hurt a thing if you do, just be vigilant about checking the filter alot.

Gator
  • Options
    bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    I saw a posting from an engineer some time ago, and have not been able to find it again. He did some testing on K&N and actually found that they could decrease HP on the Passat. I took mine back after reading that, but I do have a K&N on my Infiniti. I can't say I noticed any difference with the Infiniti, except in the pocketbook because of not having to replacing the filter.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments/advice. I think given that there doesn't seem to be any significant benefit I'll just stick with the stock filters VW uses.
  • Options
    brewer90brewer90 Member Posts: 4
    Roger,

We just bought a GLS 1.8T Tiptronic about 3 weeks ago. We live in Austin, TX and the dealer told us to use regular gas instead of premium - something to do with the formulation they use down here. It has been running fine. I haven't driven a manual Passat but do notice the hesitation you are talking about. The car starts to pull once the RPMs hit 2000 and I've noticed that I have just naturally compensated by giving it more gas to get it up to 2k and then back off - I hate driving a stick in traffic so I'm okay with the slight lag. The ignition coil problems have been solved.

I've looked at the Altimas and the quality of the interior just doesn't compare with the Passat.
  • Options
    alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    I've been using the highest grade available (premium I belive) because my Passat manual stated that premium was recommended. I knew buying a Passat would require more money to maintain over my Civic (which required only regular gas and consistantly gave me 30+ mpg) so I accept it and use the recommended gas.

Carrie ~2003 VW Passat 1.8T automatic, Candy White/tan leather interior.
  • Options
    pass4mopass4mo Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a Passat as well and I was advised to use only regular gas by the dealership & service department. Based on other B5 forums I think the prudent approach is to actually alternate premium and midgrade gas - I can't imagine that it would hurt.
     Also, if you'll excuse this advice, check your oil often - it will burn roughly about half a quart. This is very common and accepted in the break in period. It is also advisable to change the oil much earlier than the 5k marker to rid it of the new engine grit.
     Hope this is helpful!
  • Options
    altair4altair4 Member Posts: 1,469
    I've been running premium (93 octane) since new. My 1.8T is almost 6 months old, and have not had a problem. I concur with your suggestion of checking the oil frequently. I'm now at 4,000 miles, and I'm down about a quarter of the way from the top of the crosshatch marks on the dipstick. I'm now in the habit of checking the oil every week (or when I fill up) as the owner's manual recommends. Too many scary stories of people not checking, only to get a "STOP" message on the MFA display on the instrument panel, being short two quarts!!! Man, that would really make me pucker up, wandering how much lifespan I blew off the engine.

Making the appt for oil and filter change later this week...5w-40 Valvoline Synpower is going in, I think.
  • Options
    ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    Very useful comments on checking the engine oil! At 2000 miles I was amazed that I had to add a 1/2 qt oil. I thought that the dealer had not filled the engine properly (although this was probably done at the factory). Anyway given the clear condition of the oil, the very difficult to read VW dipstick, my inexperience on this first oil check, and the disbelief that I would need to add oil this quickly caused me much concern.
  • Options
    thor8thor8 Member Posts: 303
    My wife has a 98 Passat, 1,8T, 5spd, is going into 5 years now and never had the smallest problem with it, it has become a trusted reliable car.
    She keeps the car under the carport and to this day it does not even has a door ding or the smallest blemish, after a good detailing and wax job one would be hard pressed to tell from a new one other than the small changes, I concur with everyone who owns one and that is that the interior materials and quality is tops so is the body.

The only problem is that is a stick shift and my wife is tiring of it sometimes in traffic, we went a couple of times to the dealer to get a new one, an automatic V6, they sure are nice, the ride quality can be noticed after all the improvements and I am not saying that ours is deficient in any way but there has been 5 years of improvements, any way when it gets down to the money talk she says is nothing wrong with hers (bless her heart, I assure her there is no problem in getting a new one or any other car like a Benz)) and there is no need to get a new one, plus we still have the old warranty (10 years/100,000K)

The gas tank lid says premium gas and she always use it, I figure the difference from medium grade is less than 2$ per tank fill up and she will go a long ways on one tank so we don’t see the need to skimp since she does not put that many miles on it.

All in all very pleased with it, is a car that invites to drive.
  • Options
    I don’t think there is nothing to worry about, first you probably don’t remember where the oil mark was when you got the vehicle and second is normal for a new engine to use oil while breaking in. If you see blue smoke or oil drops on the floor then that is a different story and I am sure that is not the case otherwise you would’ve noticed.
  • Options
    outrunoutrun Member Posts: 539
    It is also advisable to change the oil much earlier than the 5k marker to rid it of the new engine grit.

It is HIGHLY recommended to NOT change the oil before the first 5,000 mile interval. The old stories of "change your oil at 1,000 miles because there are metal shavings from the manufacturing process" are long gone. Modern engine manufacturing does not leave anything "bad" in the engine.

The original oil is a little thinner and helps the seals/rings/etc seat and break in properly. If you change the oil out early, the break in period will not be complete and there is a higher risk of oil leaks/oil burning down the road.

Also, use premium gas. You knew before you bought the car (at least you should have known) that the 1.8T requires premium. It's a small price to pay for one of the 10 best engines currently in production (Wards). Yes, regualar will work, but at the expense of decreased power and decreased gas mileage, which will offset the cost saving of buying the cheaper gas.

-Craig
  • Options
    8ster8ster Member Posts: 6
    I purchased a 2003 W8 in November 2003 and have smelt a pungent burning smell from the hood, especially when the RPM goes above 4000. I have also noticed this when I drive it at 70 mph or above. Initially I thought it was doing this because it was new but I now have 8,000 miles on the car and am beginning to get concerned. Any advise, other than taking it to a dealer?
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Well - if the car has not burned to the ground in 8,000 miles of smelling that way - perhaps it is not going to. But, in 15,000 miles I have not noticed any such smell in my W8.

I hate to take my cars to the dealer unless absolutely necessary - but this sounds like one of those times . . .

You DO carry a fire extinguisher, don't you?

Good luck!
    - Ray
    Wondering how I'd try to explain to the insurance company why the car ended up a smouldering pile by the side of the road - after smelling like it was going to for thousands of miles . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Yeah! looks as if I will have to take it in to a dealer. I'll bet that I won't be able to recreate the problem once i'm there. If so, i'll invest in a fire extinguisher. Thanks for the advise.
  • Options
    ...is, "no, I don't recall any burnt smell in the previous 8,000 miles prior to my car being reduced to a smouldering pile on the side of the road." ;->
  • Options
    Has anyone attempted to change the oil in their passat themselves? If yes, please share your experience, i.e. easy, difficult, things to watch for. I have a passat W8 and the oil changes are costing me $130, $30 of which was for topping off fluids. My daily commute is 60 miles. At this rate these oil changes will add up REAL quick.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how to operate the headlamp washers on the passat W8?
  • Options
    . . . operate automatically on the W8 if you run the windshield washers with the headlights on.
    - Ray
    Feeling lucky that the expensive oil changes are only required every 7,500 miles . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    5speeder5speeder Member Posts: 97
    pass4mo

Isn't there a label inside your gas cap instructing what octane to use? There is on my '02 and it says to use 91. (around here the closest choices are 92 and 90 so I use either). I would follow the mfgr's instrcutions before I'd listen to a salesman about this.
  • Options
    oil changes 7,500 miles? where did you get that from? Heard from some engine buffs that in high performance engines, oil changes should be done every 3k - 4k. I figured mine deserved one every 5k.
  • Options
    From the manufacturer - who warrents the vehicle. And this is a typical interval for vehicles running full synthetic "oil" - hence the high cost for the (9 quarts) each change . . .

Many car 'buffs' - and others have different opinions regarding oil change intervals. I always go by VW - the manufacturer. Same with the premium octane fuel. BTW: My dealer north of Atlanta charges $85.00. And I check the fluid levels more often . . .

For instance - from BMW regarding their M cars: "The oil change interval of approximately 15,000 miles or once a year remains unchanged.

BMW Service Information

Bulletin 11 06 01, October 2001"

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Enjoying each of the 7,500 miles between oil changes . . .
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    pass4mopass4mo Member Posts: 2
    To reply to the above, I completely agree that the required use of premium gas is the way to go - despite the posted experiences of so many who say it isn't required based on their experiences (A classic case of a penny wise but pound foolish). We run the premium and will remain to do so but there are arguments to alternate ( Frankly, I'm not versed in the specifics of this and can't speak as an authority based on experience).
     As far as frequent oil changes go - I truly believe that there is engine grit and that changing oil & filter early will not undermine the break-in process. If the V6 is burning oil and adding a pint is required then what's the big deal to purge it altogether and replenish with fresh - it's already brackish at that point. I can't imagine that the brackish oil is going to do any better job of seating the seals/rings/etc. If so, what makes the oil that much healing/sealing? It shows wear & tear due to the break in, which surely must contain some reciprocal contaminants
     We'll use the specified oil for the change and sample & test the old oil just for kicks. I truthfully rely on the owners for their experience and advice against the manufacturer's recommendations - there are way too many class action lawsuits against manufacturers (notably MB) who claim absurd intervals for marketing purposes but the seized engines are making them eat their ambitions. Additionally, changing early does not adversely affect the warranty - it is only recommended to do so at 5k - not by any wording required.
     It is a personal preference but I remain true to check & change early & often - It's done me well with other (American) V6s I've owned new.
     Many Thanks ! b-
  • Options
    There is a good chance that the burnt smell you detect is from an oil leak on the upper section of the engine like the valve cover, small drops of oil will fall on the hot exhaust manifold, is a very common event on engines, look hard around the valve covers and see if you detect a wet spot.
  • Options
    I don't know about a W8, but I have done 3 oil changes on my GLX and they get easier every time.
    The hardest thing to do is getting the plastic under-cowling/air dam (underneath the engine) on/off. The first time I did it I drove the car up on some 2X4's to get a little more clearance under the car,(my wife calls me a redneck for using 2X4's) but I don't need to do that anymore. The Plastic cowling is held in place by 1 nut (in front) and 6 Plastic and 2 metal 1/2 turn screws - I would advise using a very wide blade, short screwdriver to get to these screws.(go buy the screwdriver before you start) I call these screws 1/2 turn screws because you really only have to turn them about that much to make them fasten or release.
         There are 2 plastic screws at the bottom front of each front wheel well, 2 near the front of the cowl, and the metal ones attach to a semi flexible piece near the back of the cowl.
         Once you get the cowl off, find the oil filter, and odds are the oil drain plug will be very close by the filter. On my GLX everything is up close to the front, so I really don't have to get under the car.
         Remember that the threads in the oil pan are probably aluminum, so don't over tighten the plug, and be sure to put a layer of oil on the rubber gasket before installing the filter, and don't over tighten the filter either.
        FYI - Use either K&N or the stock VW/Audi filter from the dealer. K&N is the only one I have found so far that looks like it meets the specs.
         Another word of warning - I have broken the plastic 1/2 turn screws before.(a set of 2 screws and 2 plastic nuts cost $15 at the dealer) You have to be sure and push them in firmly before turning gently (to tighten).If you break one, it is really no biggie. The cowl will stay on with one broke.
         Take your time, and save the beer for after you get finished, and you'll do O.K.

Gator
  • Options
    feilofeilo Member Posts: 128
    I have done one DIY oil change @ 10K miles (I'm at ~13K now) on my 1.8 GLS Variant using an oil extractor gizmo - a Pela 6000 in my case. This negates the removal of the belly pan. You can access the oil filter from the top by removing the coolant overflow tank (3 screws). Quite simple really and it took me about ~45 minutes. The oil extractor did take out almost every drop of oil ~ 4 quarts as the tank has graduations/markings.

BTW, I would use premium 91+ octane regardless (I'm chipped so its prescribed). Its false economy to do otherwise - work it out, its only a cup of fancy java a day ... Besides, you did know that the Passat takes premium when you bought it, right?
  • Options
    Additionally, changing early does not adversely affect the warranty - it is only recommended to do so at 5k - not by any wording required.

The wording in the manual states that EVERYTHING is "recommended". 91 octane is recommended. An oil change every 5k is recommended. The 10k, 20k, 30k, etc services are recommended. That doesn't get you out of any warranty denials.

If you don't service your engine at all, and seize the engine at 15k since no oil changes were done since they were just "recommended" but not "required", you would not get any help from VW (or any other manufacturer).

Also, the oil in the first 5k does help seat the rings, etc. because (as I've been told) there is some additives in there that help the process.

VW doesn't have a good record in regards to oil leaks/burning, but this is the story I've been told.

I have 19,000+ miles on my 1.8T, and thus far have no oil leaks/burning (knock on wood).

-Craig
  • Options
    Thanks to all for educating me on the oil/oil change details. I'm at 8k. If I feel bold enough to do the 10k change myself, I will keep you posted on how it went.
  • Options
    bronsonbbronsonb Member Posts: 170
    To help alleviate some of the concerns of those who are avoiding purchasing the premium unleaded for their Passats. My wife and I each own a Passat. Hers is a 1999 V6 GLS, and mine is a 2003 1.8T GLS wagon. One time I ran mine on a tank of regular, and I noticed a reduction in power and fuel economy. I have never done that again.

However, if I am feeling frugal and have the time, I will "mix" a tank of gas. I put in half a tank of premium 93 Octane and then the fill up with mid-grade 89 octane. A chemist friend of mine who worked in the oil industry said that you can mix octanes and then the octane rating you will get will be the average. So if I do 1/2 tank of 93 and a 1/2 of 89, I get 91 octane, which is what is recommended. In the end, I save about 70 cents a tank if I do this.

What you need to ask yourself is this: Is my time to basically do TWO fill ups worth 70 cents. If so, you can save a little bit of money. I will say I have noticed no degradation in power or fuel economy whenever I mix tanks. I don't do this all the time. If I fill up at Costco, they only offer regular and premium - no mid grade. In those cases, I just use their premium (which is discounted a dime or so over competitors).

I'll be interested to hear what feedback there is regarding mixing octanes.

Regarding oil changes, I do the oil changes in my wife's 1999 Passat. It takes me about 30 - 45 minutes, and it is VERY easy (and I like that 2x4 idea - might be easier than jacking up the car!). Compared to my old Taurus wagon, the oil filter in the Passat V6 couldn't me more accessible. When you take the cowling off, it's right there. On the Taurus, I had to bend my arm all sorts of ways to get a filter wrench around that thing. I haven't tried to change the filter on my 2003 Passat wagon yet. I've had a couple of small warranty issues, so I've just had the dealer do the oil change while they were addressing other warranty items (I've only had one so far - next one should be in July sometime). First oil change was $35, but I've noticed that at 10K, there are all sorts of little things they are supposed to check. Seems to me that that's just a way for the dealer to rack up extra costs. I will just request the oil change and do my own inspections and topping offs.

Thanks to everyone for their advice on this board. It's always enjoyable reading what everyone has to say!
  • Options
    bjbird2bjbird2 Member Posts: 647
    I always fill up at Sam Club where the premium 93 octane is about the same price as regular at other stations. I've heard that Sams sells gas at break-even or a loss to get customers into the store.
    With oil changes, I buy Mobil 1 5w-30 at Sams or Costco for about $23 a case. I bring the oil into my local IndyLube, and they charge me slightly less than a regular oil change for full service, about $21 with a discount coupon. The coupons are always available.
  • Options
    caw103caw103 Member Posts: 63
    I buy mobil 1 at costco but have the dealer change it for $20 to keep my maintenance schedule documented for warranty. I still bring my passat to the dealer for the 10,000 mile inspections but will stop once my warranty expires.

87 octane definitely decreased performance when i tried it pre-chip.
  • Options
    I'll repeat what others have said...

If you can't afford the maintenance of a vehicle, don't buy the vehicle.

VW is going to give you hell if something just happens to break at 11k when they should have inspected it at 10k and you told them not to.

The services aren't expensive until you hit 40k. I think that one is in the $300 range. But that's the same with any car (Honda has theirs at 36k and costs in the $300 range).

Some people like doing their own oil changes. For me? I think that $20 ($23.95 - oil - filter) is well worth it for the hour I'd spend changing it myself.

-Craig
  • Options
    5speeder5speeder Member Posts: 97
    bronsonb--I heard the same thing about adding octanes. I mix 'em sometimes, too, but not the way you do it. I'll alternate between 93 and 89, filling up when the tank's about 1/2 full. That means it's always somewhere north of 90. I know, that means I stop for gas twice as often, but it gives me twice as many opportunities to get the bugs off the windshield!
  • Options
    bdevilbdevil Member Posts: 3
    I recently purchased a 2001 New Passat with the 2.8 six and the 5-speed manual transmission. The maintenance schedule in the owners manual calls for replacing the brake fluid every two years, so I'm due. I have a power bleeder and have done this on other cars, but never one with a hydraulic clutch. I assume I also need to bleed fluid at the hydraulic clutch as well as each wheel cylinder to get all the old fluid flushed. Is this correct? Does anyone know where the bleeder valve is located on the clutch? Thanks for any help and advice.
  • Options
    Hey you guys FYI - Alot of gas stations that sell Regular, Plus and Premium have only 2 tanks, and they have a mixer that draws from the regular and premium tank for the plus pump. I would also guess that if you were pretty close to empty, and you put 5 gallons of regular and then 5 gallons of premium (or vice versa) on top, that would leave enough room in the tank for it to slosh around and mix together O.K..

Gator
  • Options
    rrwmsrrwms Member Posts: 5
    I have 118,000 miles on my '99 Passat GLS 1.8T 5 spd sedan and have always had the oil changed at 5K intervals and have never used any oil between changes. Regarding the octane of gas.....I generally buy Costco Premium but have occasionally purchased 89 or 87 octane with the only noticeable drawback being a loss of power. Will be trading to an '03 V6 auto wagon soon.
  • Options
    Outrun- Thanks for the advice. Until about a year ago, we took my wife's 99 Passat to the dealer for all service, but it's always been a headache taking it there. I usually have to schedule two weeks in advance for even an oil change, and it's still and all day job with the dealer (Jim E. VW in Marietta, GA for those who are wondering). The *do* good work, but read on....

They have gotten better about scheduling. When I had my first oil change in my 2003 Passat, I was able to schedule it two days out. But they had to keep the car overnight because they overbooked. That meant they got me a rental car, but then I had to go to the rental car place, pick up the car, fill out paperwork, go back to Jim E, get my son's car seat from my car, install in rental...and then reverse all of this the next day. All for an oil change and two very small warranty items.

That's why I prefer to do the oil changes myself on the 1999 Passat. No hassling with schedules or having to arrange for a pick up or drop off. I save all receipts and document what I have done (I even purchase the filters and drain plugs from the dealer). Besides, the 1999 Passat only had a 2 year/24 month comprehensive warranty. It does have the 10 year/100K mile powertrain warranty, and I am performing all maintenance according to the schedule in the owner's manual to maintain that warranty.

I do feel Jim E. does good work. It's just expensive and they have on more than one occassion had to keep the car overnight, even when we had scheduled an appointment. For the 1999 Passat, I now have a BMW mechanic who used to work for VW who does my major repairs (brake jobs and the like). He uses genuine VW parts and I save a bundle on labor.

To answer your question...I *can* afford the maintenance of the vehicle. I choose to save money and do the work myself or find a more affordable and equally reliable source to do the work for me because I am tired of hassling with the dealer.

For the 2003 Passat, I might keep having it serviced at the dealer (if anything just to avoid the hassles you spoke of since the 2003 does have a 4 yr. warranty), but I fail to see the value in having them charge me about $60 to check fluids, tires, gaskets, etc. when I can either do that myself or have my "personal" mechanic do it at a much more reasonable cost (and a much more reasonable schedule). And since I document all of this, it's considered properly maintained according to the VW warranty guidelines (I know, I know....might be a hassle if something happens, but I *do* have all of my paperwork).

To be honest, if the VW dealer had been easier to deal with for service (i.e., fixing the car the day we brought it in for service...being easier to get service appointments right from the start), we probably never would have explored alternative routes with our 99 Passat. Unfortunately, even in Atlanta, there are only four VW dealers, and two are owned by the same guy. Jim Ellis is the only one that's close to being convenient.

And regarding oil changes, here Jim E. charges $35 for the oil change. So I am saving a little bit by doing it myself. And I am a "do-it-yourselfer" so I like accomplishing these kinds of things. I certainly understand if it's not your cup of tea, and hey, my time is worth something too.

Thanks again. Take care, and enjoy your VW!
  • Options
    Wow. Looks like Jim E is taking advantage of the lack of VW dealerships in the area. There are 5 or 6 VW dealerships within 20 miles of my house. That probably helps drive the price down and quality up for service. An oil change (and even small warranty items) takes an hour tops. In by 7:30am, out by 8:30am. $23.95 for the oil change and fluid fillups (typical 5k, 15k, etc. service).

Coming up on my 20k service next week - I think they charge $129. Also have minor warranty issues (knew manual shift knob, fog light burnt out, loose headlight housing). If they can get me out the door by 10am, I'll be happy.

-Craig
  • Options
    Craig- If Jim Ellis here did what your dealer does, I'd never change my own oil! That's a great deal (both price and time-wise). I know periodically, VW offers a coupon for oil changes, and then the price might be more "competitive" at Jim Ellis VW. But there's still that time factor. The last time I asked if I could wait (with my wife's 99 Passat), they said it would take AT LEAST two hours. It was that "at least" part that scared me.

Oh well. I have given feedback to the service department on a number of occassions, and like I said, they are getting incrementally better (like with being able to get you IN the service department without a two week notice). We'll see if they can improve on turnaround next.

Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    The whole reason I change my oil isn't the money - it's because the first time I had the dealer do it (5K), when I got it back, the oil cap was cracked (from the jar head that changed the oil dropped the cap on the pavement) I just think that if the guy is gonna drop and break my cap on a new car, how is he gonna treat it at 40K ??? I think that everybody will agree, that if the service is top notch, and if it is on time, no one has issues. It is the guys that charge top dollar and still try to pass stuff off (like cracking the oil cap and not saying anything) then it is over as far as I'm concerned.

Gator
  • Options
    mastkey1mastkey1 Member Posts: 2
    Can anyone tell me where the passat is made? I heard it was asembled in Mexico. I had been looking at passats around 3 years ago and liked the car but did not like the idea of a German car being asembled in Mexico. Are they now made in Germany?
  • Options
    alyssazmomalyssazmom Member Posts: 142
    Is from Germany, the Jetta from Mexico.
  • Options
    All Passats imported to the US are made in Germany. The last time I looked, the Jetta Wagon (and only the wagon) was made in Germany. All other Jettas imported to the US are made in Mexico.

The country of assembly and of major components (engine, transmission) are listed on the window sticker. Look carefully and you'll see all of this info.
  • Options
    This is why the Passat, over all, is more reliable than the Mexican Jetta and Brazillian Beetle.

-Craig
  • Options
    sssuesssue Member Posts: 2
    I am new to the board so I apologize if this question has already been asked or discussed. I am debating on purchasing a used Passat with about 65K and am concerned about the high mileage and if it is a good deal or not. I am purchasing it from a neighbor who owns a used car dealership with mostly high end cars, but he found this VW for me. I haven't seen the car, but wanted to know if it would be worth purchasing it with such high mileage if it is a good deal. I am not sure about the price yet, but he knows how much I am able to spend. Thanks for your help!!! Also the car has been maintained at a VW dealership with all records.
  • Options
    No offense...Cannot certify a VW or any other car.

Getting a Certified Pre-Owned VW will give you a 24Month/24,000Mile Bumper to Bumper and 24/24
    Road Side Assistance...

Stay on the good side of your neighbor and buy from an Authorized VW Dealer...
  • Options
    Hey, I'm with vwguild - if you want the least chance of no problems, then go with Certified pre-owned. You pay for that, but you get what you pay for :-).
         It largely concerns how well you know your neighbor, and it seems to me if you are asking a bunch of strangers on a chat board you don't know the person very well.
         Additionally, you are asking a very open-ended question - 2001 GLX high mileage with VW service records, ... but no price. I would be very careful with any dealer that knows how much I could spend. If you don't know much about cars, and you don't know much about the dealer, watch out!

Gator