Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    rickroverrickrover Member Posts: 601
    I have a Neuspeed 1 bar VBL chip in my 2000. No complaints - it is mild as chip upgrades go. Another really good aftermarket chip resource is APR (www.goapr.com) , a few of my friends have APR chips in thier VW's and Audi's including an S4 that went from 250 to 300 HP with just an APR chip upgrade.
  • Options
    jkline92jkline92 Member Posts: 2
    Has anyone had any luck finding an option code for an in dash CD player for the passat? There is one for the Jetta, just cant find one for the passat. Thanks.
  • Options
    caryaloncaryalon Member Posts: 16
    Here is the deal I was offered today by my local VW dealer on a 2002 VW Passat GLX auto (no 4MO), 36 mo lease, 12K miles/year, through VW credit, A tier:

MSRP $30,375
    Cap Cost $28,454
    Resid 57%
    MF .00210

Based on the formula I learned here (thanks!), I came up with:

Resid $ = $17313.75
    Deprec. $ = $11140.25
    Deprec $ /mo. = $309.45
    Cap Cost + resid x MF = $83.15
    Lease per month = $392.59
    Tax 8.5% = $33.37
    Total lease = $425.96

First question - Am I correct?
    Second - How is tax, and bank fee applied in New York (assuming 8.5%)? I was under the impression that I should apply the 8.5% to the monthly payment for tax. How much should a bank fee be? Does it get added into the cap cost?
    Third - The payment that was quoted was $459.90/mo, including tax and bank fee. This seems high.

I am looking for a reality check - Please help!

Thanks,

Cary
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    How much is your *Drive-Off*? If the Lease is
    through Volkswagen Credit the "Acquisition Fee"
    is $490, and I always recommend paying that as
    part of the Drive-Off, along with 1st Month,
    Security Deposit, and DMV Registration...And you
    are figuring tax correctly...
  • Options
    My drive off is first month, security deposit, and DMV charges - $934.90 + approx. $50 DMV.

$490 would not account for the difference - divided by 36 months, that is 13.61/month, plus a small finance charge.

I'm looking at a difference of 33.94/mo now.

Why do you recommend paying the bank fee up front?

Thanks for your help!

Cary
  • Options
    mulfomimulfomi Member Posts: 56
    I just had my passat in for the 5000 mile service and they overfilled the crankcase. I know I read somewhere (here or vwvortex?) and someone mentioned that this was a common problem with some of the dealers. What should I do about it? Call the dealer and have them drain some oil? Any suggestions? Not sure what harm it will cause. The manual mentions something about harming the catalitic converter.
  • Options
    because it gets rolled up into the Cap Cost...and
    you end up financing a fee...The Acquisition Fee,
    no matter who the lessor, always used to be included in the DOD...Due on Delivery...Software
    changes have now split it out, and rolled it up.

I guess this has been done to reduce drive off, but it is not residualized...because it does not add value...For example, a CD Changer should always be added in because it increases the value
    of the car, and you end up only paying for the part that you use...like the car itself, but this
    is not the case with the Acquisition/Bank Fee.
  • Options
    car_nut1car_nut1 Member Posts: 66
    I live in NYC and have the same car, very similiar lease. My lease is through Hann Financial,dealer (sales mgr.) I know for a long time. Bought cars from them before, not VW's. Hann Financial gave residual of 64%. Recently, a web site displayed the cars with the highest residuals. VW Passat retained it's value better than any car it's class. Up there with M-B and BMW. I'm sure VWguild knows where you can verify this.
  • Options
    I wouldn't worry too much about it - it amounts to about a fourth of a quart overfill if the tech is sloppy. I had the same thing happen at my 5k and 10k service without a problem. I've since taken my Passat to a different dealer that puts in the correct amount. I take my own Mobile one in with me (4 quarts) and get one back that's got maybe 1/4 of a quart left. You may want to use a different dealer, that is an indication that their techs could really care less about your car. In any case it won't hurt your car to have a little extra oil in it.
  • Options
    Thanks for your response. Where do I get information about Hann Financial?

Cary
  • Options
    I only became aware of them through my dealer, Kings VW in Brooklyn. The sales mgr explained that by using Hann, with a higher residual, of course I'd have a lower monthly pmt. I found my contract, pd $28650, with tip & 6 disc trunk mounted changer. This was a very fair price back in April. Also, was given extended warranty for free, from dealer. This because I'd purchased from them before. My lease is $369. per month, before tax. $00. down, but 39 months.
  • Options
    esqknightesqknight Member Posts: 78
    Did you have a good experience with Kings VW so far? I live in Brooklyn and they are one of the dealerships I am cross-shopping in looking for a good price on my future passat.
  • Options
    mulfomimulfomi Member Posts: 56
    Thanks for your response. Unfortunately there arent too many VW dealers around. I think I will call them today and let them know. Also, the service guy told me they put castrol syntech in the turbos which is a synthetic oil. I also want a synthetic in the car, but since they do it, I will wait till the free ones stop then give them Mobil 1.
  • Options
    My opinion may be a little slanted. I've purchased from them before, Nissans, (they're an old Nissan dealer), and I've gotten to know the owners. The owners are great folks always willing to go out of their way for a customer. BUT, the service dept for VW is not nearly as good as the Nissan service. Different service mgrs. It took 7 visits to fix my A/C. You have to have the time for this. True, I was treated well and always given a loaner or rental car. Nissan service open late, past 7pm, and open Saturdays, VW is not. As a "small" VW dealer, they try harder for your business, but you wait longer for the car in your color and option choices. Initial dealer prep is not good, no attention to detail. On the otherhand, sales mgr is your advocate and eventually corrects everything. Overall, a dealership worth checking out, ask for Bill B. in sales, he's the mgr. Start at the top.
  • Options
    iamwhoamiamwhoam Member Posts: 23
    I haven't been here in a while, but I am seeing from more and more sources that it looks like we are not going to get the 6speed manual with the W8. Is this true?

It would make sense, since it seems like VW refuses to make the car I want. What are they trying to do with VW, replace Oldsmobile? Enough crap about competing with Audi. I seems like we are teased with cool VWs and they never deliver. A Jetta with a w8 to fight the M3, a Jetta with a VR6 and 4wd. A jetta convertible. And don't get me started with the Passat with 4wd and a manual. And don't even mention the dealers that soured me on buying a current model (I walked into a dealer wanting to buy a Passat and they pissed me of so bad I bought a Jeep instead).

VW thinks they can play with BMW? Are they on crack? Not with the stuff they are bringing now. Any idea if Piech's replacement will bring the hardware?
  • Options
    mwhittmwhitt Member Posts: 69
    i'm thinking of purchasing 2002,GLX,4-motion. wife wants to wait on new audi a-4, v-6. of those that have compared the two, is it worth the addt'l $$$ for the audi or is the passat a worthy alternative.
  • Options
    frankie33frankie33 Member Posts: 28
    Our new 2002 GLX Passat, 5 weeks old, has been flawless, until this past week. With 2500 non-problem miles on her, one finally showed up. On a recent trip, and still enjoying my new toy, {the computer}, I suddenly told my wife, "We have a problem." With almost a half a tank of gas, and my computer reading that we have over a hundred and fifty driving miles left, the light came on telling me that we needed gas.

After the first panic wave left, I attempted to decide whether to believe the computer or the low on gas warning light. After a few more miles of undecided driving, and trying to control my feelings of panic, my beautiful wife turned to me, with a smile on her face, and said, "Honey, the light you are looking at is not the low on gas light, it is the icon for the miles you have left BEFORE you run out of gas."

Talk about feeling stupid, this is one I will never be allowed to forget! My attempt to save myself, by saying, "I knew that, I was just testing you.", didn't fly! I have now been removed from my "All knowing seat", at the top of the Male Ego Mountain.
  • Options
    jkline92jkline92 Member Posts: 2
    Gonna make the trek to the dealer(s) tonight for a 2002 GLX with tip w/o 4 Motion. Not real picky on the color (found 4 on the lot we liked and more at the other dealer).

? Has anyone (around TX) received special financing from VW (Edmunds states 5.9 for 60)? I have my own financing, but want to know what I could get from VW.

? How close to invoice has anyone come in the past two weeks? Per Edmunds, you can get a steal on the '01.5, but nothing about the '02. Any input would be appreciated.

Only 8 hours until possible new Passat!
  • Options
    pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    I am (possibly) in the market for a 2002 Passat Wagon 4Motion. I currently own a 2000 Maxima with about 40,000 miles. The general use for my car is about 24,000 miles/ year.

Will the Passat be able to handle about 24k miles/ year and be able to rack up miles as easily as my Maxima does? There are really no issues with my current car; I would just like the wagon and the 4Motion for New England weather.

Thanks!
  • Options
    carsdirect.com is quoting $30.5K for a GLX 4-motion in NJ. they take edmunds invoice of $29.6K and add $200 for the costs that vwquild lays out - adv and a couple of other expenses. that would say carsdirect is $700 over if you accept the $200, $900 if you don't. I'm going to offer $30.2 or $30.3 and see what happens
  • Options
    esqknightesqknight Member Posts: 78
    I'm trying to decide in the Passat GLS whether to just get the cold weather package and stick with the velour or spring for the leather package. I know the quality of seat materials, leather and cloth, vary from car maker to car maker, and I'd been interesting in hearing from owners Pasats with cloth and leather interior.
    Thanks
  • Options
    bryhoganbryhogan Member Posts: 23
    I'm seriously considering a GLS 1.8t, Tiptronic, Cloth Passat and am looking for some advice....

1) What does the Monsoon option really add? Is it worth it? I drive between 25-30k miles/year and have a great appreciation for quality stereo sound and reception.

2) I've read a lot of issues associated with rattles & squeeks. Are most of these problems worked out by quality dealers (vs bad ones), or is this something you just need to live with in a Passat?

3) Any ideas on how much above invoice I can expect to pay for a 2002? I'm used to buying less-in-demand cars and would normally expect the dealer to make somewhere between $500-$1,000 (through markup AND holdback).

Your feedback will be greatly appreciated!
  • Options
    pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    I've had my 2001.5 GLS, Tip, Monsoon, Lux Pkg, Homelink (no choice on that) for 4750 miles. So far no squeeks, rattles or anything like that. The sunroof doesn't leak and shuts tight. I suspect that because VW made MAJOR changes in the manufacture of the chassis for 2001.5/2002 the car should not have any problems in regards to rattles. Of course, dealer prep is important (how many times are the tires improperly inflated?) and customer attention to the maintanence required will help.

As mentioned, I have the Monsoon option and the sound is very good. Better amp and speakers I'm told. I also have cloth seats which are very well made and need to be brushed from time to time to get rid of lint balls. No problemo. I opted for cloth because I'm in South Florida and don't like sitting on hot, sticky leather.

Pricing is something I'm not too up on. I got my Passat for sticker which included all local taxes, etc. or about $1400 off. Not the best deal but I got Relfex Silver had no hassles and I'm very happy so far. I'll be bringing the car in for the first free 5000 maint. and I don't expect any problems.
  • Options
    Get the Monsoon. It sounds great with 200 watts of power it makes all kinds of music, at low and high volume, incredible. Be aware that the cd/cassette/am/fm sections all have separate memories for volume, bass, treble, midrange and fader/balance. Sometimes I think some folks are unfamilier with these features and thus don't realize the full enjoyment of this system. Others mention that they can't get volume low enough for cd. These are not problems, just not knowing how to use system. For $250 extra, it's a steal.
  • Options
    markobodormarkobodor Member Posts: 17
    Hi, we just bought two 2001.5 Passat's in the last few weeks. Ours is silver, 4-motion, monsoon, leather. My mother in-law's is dk silver, cloth, sunroof, monsoon, upgraded wheels. I definitely loved the V-6 over the 4 - quiet and luxurious and the car even feels more solid. We prefer the leather over the cloth - it is very nice in light gray - smooth and done very well - at an Audi level of quality just about. We would have ordered the sunroof if we had the option, but now going without one I don't miss it - here in California the sun is out all the time just about and being exposed to it all the time just wrinkles your skin - so actually we don't miss it and like the smooth outline of the roof on the inside and outside without it. The 4-motion definitely takes a little toll on acceleration - the FWD version is quicker at the outset, but passing 3 vehicles on a two way road was no problem with the 4-motion. As for price, the best price in the Bay Area was from Sunnyvale VW for $3755 below MSRP for the 2001.5's, but we bought ours a few weeks ago when VW had a factory dealer rebate for $4500 below MSRP. They still have 4 - 5 2001.5's available - tell them Marko from Napa sent you.
  • Options
    cojonekacojoneka Member Posts: 10
    Good news - finally the factory installed CD units are on most of the cars that I saw at two dealerships within the last week.
  • Options
    cojonekacojoneka Member Posts: 10
    What's the best price on a GLX w/ no 4mo in NY/NJ/PA? Sticker is 30,375 invoice is 27,737. What are the odds I can get one for 28,200? Any VW financing specials in light of the recent events in the country similar to Ford or GM? Also, due to high mileage, I need an extended warranty - what have people paid for 7 yrs/100K miles? Thanks a lot.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Joe,you can always ask, but you're gonna be left out in the cold once the snow starts flying. Watch posted prices from the internet, most sites miss the mandatory fees VW imposes on their dealers.
  • Options
    birdboy1birdboy1 Member Posts: 39
    Hey Brian ,
    Have had my 1.8 fresco green with gray leather for a month. Absolutely love switching from auto to manual with the tiptronic. Monsoon sounds great,added a 6cd changer which fit perfectly in the trunk compartment, just plug and play. I got 1500.00 off sticker with no added charges. Bought upstate NY, they delivered it to me in nyc. Stay away from the beige interior and consider staying away from black as it is too dark and yhere is no interior contrast .
    any other questions feel free to E me, also no rattles , just a solid ride
    Allan
  • Options
    lincoln355lincoln355 Member Posts: 8
    I purchased a 2002 GLX 1.8T a few weeks ago. I've spoken to a few mechanics not affiliated with VW.
    They stated the average life expectancy of a turbo engine is approximately 100K miles. Also it was suggested I use a synthetic oil rather than the mfg.suggested 5W-30. Another suggestion is after driving to your destination leave the motor run for a minute or two before shutting it down.

All these recommendations have me a little concerned about the reliability of the turbo for the long haul. I'll put a 100K on the odometer in three years without breaking a sweat.
    Are my fears valid or are the mechanics pulling my
    intercooler?
  • Options
    My guess is that you have a GLS 1.8T; not a
    GLX that has the 174HP VR6...

VWOA has updated it's Warranty Package due to the
    fact in the 21 Century, folks just don't typically
    keep a car for 10 years or 100,000 miles.

VW Engineers recommend Synthetics for only one
    engine that we manufacture, and that is the TDI.
    The Turbo DirectInjection Diesel gets Synthetic
    Oil at the Factory; no other engine does...Believe
    the engineer/builder or???

Last bit of advice, however; is quite sound...Even
    though your 1.8T is watercooled it is always wise
    to let cooler oil & water to circulate through the
    Turbo for 45-60 seconds rather than simply shutting down the engine...Coking will occur, over
    time, if this procedure is not followed...
  • Options
    2002 GLX, 4-MO, 6-cd changer installed for $30.3K from a dealer in northern NJ. Had prices off of internet but did not go through the internet sales people. Carsdirect.com quotes $30.5K for same car, no cd. The dealers invoice and carsdirect invoice matched almost to dollar. the incidental over edmunds invoice were about $250. Felt like it was pretty good deal.
  • Options
    passssatpassssat Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2001 GLX 5 speed (bought it new) and it has 20,201 miles I baby this car, no abuse to the gear box. I am finding the Clutch letting off higher and higher. Now it is about 1 inch from where the the clutch is at rest for it to in gauge! Is this normal? I have gone to the dealer at 15,000 (8 months) they said it is "fine no problem" @ my 20,000 it was more pronounced, now they say well it is past 12 months nothing we can do for you. The clutch can't be adjusted but only replaced. I was wondering is this normal clutch action. I guess I could get used to shifting up that high (hardly "heel to toe action") but I feel as though the Clutch is about to go any thoughts?
  • Options
    dle01dle01 Member Posts: 37
    My wife and I own a 2000 GLS V6, with beige cloth and the standard sound system. Here are some thoughts:

1) We like the cloth interior, and I think the quality is quite good and its held up well over 2 years. Beige looks great, but was a questionable choice for us given that we have a large black lab that sheds quite a bit all summer. However, it cleans up well in spite of our "abuse."

2) Buy the monsoon! I wish we had. I've listened to other Passats with this system and it is far superior to the standard system (which for a stock system, is not bad but not great either).

3) Our car has one squeak / rattle: from the @#!!%&# cup holder in the dash (which we never use). 2001.5 and newer cars will not have this problem. Otherwise, the car is tight and quiet after 21k miles

4) The clutch on our car feels normal at this time, with 21k miles.

5) I think this car could handle 20k plus miles per year. Edmunds long term test car is at about 40k or so without major problems.

Hope this info is helpful.
  • Options
    rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    Hey, how's it going?

My Mom is looking to buy a 2002 Passat GLX Auto FWD, and she lives in the Boston area. I was wondering what you guys think would be a fair price? Also, I've heard that some VW's are pretty solidly built mechanically, but have a lot of little things go wrong. Has anyone had any problems with the little stuff on the New Passat's?

Thanks in Advance.
  • Options
    Just took the plunge - leased a '02 Passat GLX - now I'm trying to figure out the best way to get CD playing capability into the car. (I don't want the trunk changer - too much hassle to change.)

Here are my options -
    1. The single in-dash VW player (currentlt backordered) - approx. $325.
    2. A VW in-dash 6-disk changer (imported from Germany) - approx. $450.
    3. An aftermarket head unit.

I am searching for an aftermarket head unit that has the same color/lighting scheme as the stock head unit.

Does anyone know of such a unit? pricing? where to get it?

Thanks in advance...

Cary
  • Options
    Go to www.carsdirect.com and price out the car for the Boston zip that you are in. That will give you a pretty good idea of a fair price to start your negotiations. I just bought the GLX, 4-motion and got $200 under that price, with the CD tossed in, in NJ. You might be able to do better but I was satisfied with $500 over invoice. I think times are a little tight for these guys now and you might be able to do a little better, but I started the bidding at $300 over invoice on a car w/o CD and they came in $200 over and threw the CD in when i told them i would walk w/o a CD in their top line car.
  • Options
    I think Blaupunkt has a pretty good line-up
    of product that you might like...

And by the way...Congratulations!!!! Welcome
    to the VW Family!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks to vwguild and brentwoodvolvo for being so free with their time, and their expertise.

Thanks to everyone for posting their experiences here.

I have learned alot from all of you, and it really helped me come to my decision to lease a Passat.

Hopefully, I can return the favor in the not too distant future...

Cary
  • Options
    kevinc5kevinc5 Member Posts: 204
    I brought my 99 Passat V6 Tip in for 50,000 mile service. I suspected I'd need front pads. Was told by the service writer that the rear pads usually wear out before the front pads...and that "customarily..90% of the time..." they need to replace rotors. "They wear with the pads and usually can't be resurfaced.."
    Routinely replacing rotors with pads??? That's a new one on me...am I being scammed??
    Does anyone have the specs for rotor thickness??
  • Options
    ackissackiss Member Posts: 4
    I finally saw the "Standard" stereo for 2002 Passat GLX. It looks MUCH nicer than the add on in dash unit.

The salesman told me that it is actually manufactured by Blaupunkt and is an overall nicer unit than what was in early procuction 2002's.

Is this true, or salesman hype?

Thanks
  • Options
    Having the clutch engage way up in the pedal travel is totally normal, every VW does it, not to worry. I've actually found it a benefit when shifting, you barely have to push the clutch in when shifting from one gear to another.

I switched to synthetic oil in my 1.8 turbo at the second oil change (10k). I think it will benefit your engine in the long run and you don't have to let it idle before you shut it off as sythetic doesn't coke. Actually you don't have to let it idle if you use dino oil either - just remember to drive mellow for a few minutes as you approach where you are about to park it. If you don't have your foot in the turbo before you park it you don't have to worry about it.

The engine will be fine at 100k miles, you won't need to rebuild it until much later (depending on how you maintain it). What will need to be replaced at about 125k (again depending on driving habits and maintenace) is the turbo itself, about $1k or so - the engine will be fine at 100k.
  • Options
    All of the information that I received indicated
    that this is a SONY Product...I never have had
    the impression that Blaupunkt had the production
    capacity to produce for such a massive installation as this one...Remember, this HU is
    going to be Standard in Every VW, coming here anyway,
    from Jetta, to Golf, to Passat...
  • Options
    georgek44georgek44 Member Posts: 81
    I've been happy with my 2000 1.8T wagon, and very pleased with the service/parts department at my dealer, CVM VW-Subaru-BMW in Mechanicsburg, PA.

On the other hand, I'm really annoyed at price-gouging on parts by VW of America. The car just received it's 40,000 service, the cost of which was within reason except for the spark plugs. These cost $23 each, and even with the discount for cars bought there, still run more than $21 EACH. The AUDI part is about the same price.

These plugs are not available in any local parts store, but in 10 minutes of web research I discovered that the OEM part is an NGK BKUR6ET, NGK stock # 6437. I also found suppliers who would deliver a box of 10 to my door for $51, a savings of $16 per plug.

The VW dealer is invoiced $16 each for these plugs by VW of America, so the price of $21 represents a reasonable mark-up. VW of America, however, clearly is price-gouging on these plugs, which probably cost a buck or two from NGK.

This seems to be a pattern. A friendly parts clerk told me that VW and BMW headlight replacement bulbs are identical, but that the BMW part retails for $10 and the VW $20.

So, the Passat costs just a little bit more than a Camry, Accord or Subaru when you buy it, but not when you need to service or repair it. As much as I like my Passat I'm not sure that I would buy another. The thought of what out-of-warranty major repairs will cost is a major deterrant.
  • Options
    $28.2 for the car you want is probably a low. the $27.7 you quote on invoice is about $200 short. Edmunds misses about $200 in legit. invoice charges and they as much admit so. I think you can get the car for somewhere around 28.4 which will be about 500 over invoice. Just bought the 4-mo for $500 over on an invoice of 29.8. you might get another 100 off. if it doesn't have in-dash CD as stock make them throw it in for free or walk. i got that instead of begginf for another $100 off. The carsdirect.com quote is currently 28.554
  • Options
    nikonls6nikonls6 Member Posts: 2
    Does $ 220 sound resonable for window tinting a Passat all around?
  • Options
    lsclsc Member Posts: 210
    yes you are being scammed. a lot of dealers like to throw new parts on the cars brought in for service. don't do those 'extra' things they 'recommend' or 'highly recommend'. i have a family member whose a mechanic and although he'll never screw anyone over, a lot of service managers do!

rotors at 50000? only if they are warped. and front brakes usually wear out much faster then the rears. ask him if you can see the brake pads.

Also do yourself a favor and ask them to measure the thickness of the rear brake rotor, then ask see what the minimum is in the SERVICE MANUAL. don't take their word for it...see it all for yourself. just ask to go back there. if they say they can't for insurances purposes, say you'll sign a waiver. (they usually allow customers to go back in the service bay if they are accompanied by authorized personnel, according to the insurance policy)
  • Options
    flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    Does anyone know when the backordered indash cds will arrive? My salesman is saying he dosen't know when they will arrive.
  • Options
    eclipsegseclipsegs Member Posts: 66
    I'm looking at a used 95 Passat GLX with Auto trans and 68K miles. I'm new here, so any thoughts on this car? Things to look out for? Greatly appreciated for any info. Price is $9,995
  • Options
    kcingakcinga Member Posts: 7
    Everything that I've read and seen on the Passats for '98 and up have been really positive. I will be in the market for a car in the next few months to replace my wife's '95 Mustang that has 140,000+ miles on it.

I'm curious to see if anyone out there has bought a 4 cyl automatic Passat, only to find that it didn't have enough horsepower to compete with highway traffic. Or maybe there's someone out there who's test driven both the 4 cyl and 6 cyl models extensively and could give some feedback on their opinion.

There seems to be quite a price difference between the 4 cyl and 6 cyl models (roughly $10,000). I just wanted to hear if this price jump is justifiable for those who already own a Passat... especially from someone who has maybe owned one for a couple of years.