Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    flacaflaca Member Posts: 168
    My hubby just bought a 2002 GLS 1.8 auto 4 cylinder Passat and absolutley loves it. Yes, it has enough power. But, go test drive both and than decide.
  • Options
    pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    Actually, you can get the GLS with 6 Cylinder which but it only comes with Tiptronic. It's much less then the $10,000 (which is for the GLX which only comes in the 6). You don't get any wood trim or push button climate controls, but the car is still great. The cost is about $3500 I think for the 6 and tip. I have the 4 with tip and it has plenty of power at highway speeds. Most happy at 60 to 70 mph and the turbo will add the extra boost you need when passing. As suggested drive both if you can. You can get the 4 with manual.

Good luck!
  • Options
    kcingakcinga Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the feedback! I will test drive before buying anything, but I really wanted to hear from people who have owned and driven the Passat over a period of time. There's a lot of things that you just can't find out in a test drive - ya know?

If I were buying the car for me, believe me, I'd get a stick with a 4 cyl. But, my wife needs an automatic transmission... so that's not an option.

I'm seriously thinking about a 2002 Passat, if we get a 4 cyl. But, if we go for a 6 cyl, it will probably be something that is a couple of years old with a little mileage on it.
  • Options
    You know, of course, that the tiptronic allows you to shift manually? No clutch, however. The 4 has been rated by several reviewers as better than the 6. It does get better mileage. The 6 is smoother and quieter. I've had my 2001.5 Passat 4 cylinder with Tip for 5000 miles. Love it. Had '95 and '98 Camrys before. This car is much more fun to drive and is beautifully built.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    <<You know, of course, that the tiptronic allows you to shift manually? No clutch, however. >>

That's like saying you fly an airplane on a flight simulator. If you're shifting without a clutch, you're just playing a big video game.
  • Options
    Well, you still watch the rpm and feel the engine and know when to shift. The fact that you don't stomp your foot on the floor doesn't make it a video game. Anyway, as a city boy I've never liked manual shifting. It's a real pain in traffic. But to each his own.
  • Options
    steveiowasteveiowa Member Posts: 51
    I love to come up behind some pilgrim doing 55 on an Iowa two-lane road, slip my Passat into Tiptronic, bump it down into fourth and blow on past him. I'm old and I've shoved enough clutch pedals to the floor for one lifetime. I just love feeling that burst of acceleration.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    was first introduced in the C4 in 1996, and still
    carries Porsche's patent...Nuff said...
  • Options
    lincoln355lincoln355 Member Posts: 8
    Thank you gentlemen for the comments regarding the use of synthetic oil in the 1.8 turbo. I have one vote against from vwguild. and one vote for from rickrover. OK,I need to know if the use of a synthetic oil will adversely affect the 1.8 turbo's performance,Or will it prolong the engine's life span. Can someone who reads service manuals for fun please shed some light on this subject?

You were correct vwguild. I meant GLS 1.8 Turbo not GLX. I do become delusional at times.

RE: 6 DISC CD CHANGER Panasonic's model CX-DP610 fits like a glove in the trunk side compartment.My total cost with adaptor; $300 and it plays like a dream. Installation time 10 min. if your mechanically challanged.I'm sure there are some terrific buys on this unit in this sluggish economy. As a footnote I can't take credit for finding this gem I believe this unit was recommended by jconcep on previously posted message.

Thanks for all your comments,
    Lincoln355
  • Options
    I don't recall saying that a synthetic would have
    any adverse effects...I simply stated that VW
    only reccommends it for the TDI.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Window tinting should cost no more than $150.

Don't ever take it to a dealer. They sub it out to a local tinter and markup the cost.
  • Options
    I have never had any great desire to be responsible for another person's work...
    Rule of Thumb...Dealerships sell cars...no
    tinting done here!!!
  • Options
    stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    just got quote of 28,800 for 2002 GLX sedan automatic including mudguards. BUT residual (in October) was 55% and got rate of .00285.

any others getting much different numbers??

thanks.
  • Options
    looker11looker11 Member Posts: 5
    Love my new Passat. Hate the VW roadside assistance. Troubled by my car's problem. Just got a 2001.5 Silver Passat GLS 5spd. After 5k, but not had its checkup yet, the check engine light started flashing and engine started vibrating and lowing power. I was 200 miles from home and dealership. VW roadside assistance siad they couldn't provide a tow truck to nearest dealer and had to rely on AAA. Then told me couldn't provide me with a rental car either (not part of the plan) but could only reimburse me $500 maximum. What a joke.

Don't get caught in an emergency with your car too far away from home. I was in a small town in the middle of nowhere upstate new york and had to rent a car from a local mechaninc/garage shop.

Anyone else have problems with Malfunction Indicator Light (MIL)? Is it serious? Guy who finally told my car its just an emmisions problem. But seems if the car is losing power and shaking its more serious.

Any help would be nice.
  • Options
    See the Vortex for a response about this...
  • Options
    mwhittmwhitt Member Posts: 69
    i think you can do better than $28,800. Don't know where you live - but carsdirect.com quotes 28,554 for GLX, automatic in northern NJ. just bought the 4-motion version $200 less than the carsdirect.com price. I would offer $28.1 - and split difference and see if you could split on $28.3 which is about $500 over invoice. i don't think cars are flying out the door right now - at least not in NJ
  • Options
    g20engg20eng Member Posts: 10
    I have a 2001.5, 3500 miles on it. I notice that at higher speeds (80 mph and above), in high winds, the car moves laterally along the highway. In response, I have to make significant corrections in steering to compensate and keep the car moving straight. Yesterday, this happened to me at 65 mph, however. Again, there were strong winds, but this doesn't seem right to me, for a car of this quality. I 'm wondering if others have noticed this? I'm thinking of taking it to the dealer, but I wanted to know if others experience this and is to be expected from the Passat. (I did check the tire pressure, and that was fine)
  • Options
    credit1credit1 Member Posts: 12
    mwhitt, which dealer did u use?
  • Options
    What EXACTLY do you call a *high wind*?
  • Options
    g20engg20eng Member Posts: 10
    I wouldn't know how to characterize it in terms of wind speed (mph), the best I can describe it is to imagine a windy fall afternoon (in Boston), enough gusty wind to knock the dying leaves off of trees. We're not talking snowstorm or mountaintop type of winds.
  • Options
    bitburgbitburg Member Posts: 15
    Sounds like you got a good deal to me. That was a 2002 passat with out the in-dash CD and they threw in the CD changer after you threatend to walk right? Good job I also don't believe I should pay 30K for a car with no CD player. I am about to buy the same car (V6 4MO GLX) and I am also in NJ. What dealer did you go to and who was your sales person???
  • Options
    silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    What are the thoughts out there on getting the GLX vs the GLS (V6) model? Is there any reason to be concerned about more problems with the GLX because it has more electrical features? Even compared to a loaded GLS V6. I know that this could be an issue with any car, the more gadgets it has, the greater potential for problems, but I'm wondering about this issue re the Passat specifically. Any other compelling reasons to buy one or the other? All opinions are welcome.
    Thanks!

SilverCrown
  • Options
    gtbdevsgtbdevs Member Posts: 19
    I have a 2001.5 Passat GLS, I purchased it at Jack Dainels motors in NJ. My concern is of all the post I read about the bad service that this dealer delivers. If I take my car to a different VW dealer, could I assume to receive less attention, and the you didn't buy it from us so why should we fix it attitude. Has anyone ever encountered this sort of problem?

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    njdriver1njdriver1 Member Posts: 97
    gtbdevs - ever speak to East Coast Auto? and any info on their reputation? This has been the biggest hang up for me.
  • Options
    njdriver1- no, I have never talked to East Coast Auto. Where are they located?

The other thing about Jack Daniels is when I made an appointment for my 5000 checkup, the first open slot was in 24 days. What happens if/when I have a major problem, do I have to wait almost a month before they will look at the car?

Are all VW dealers like this?
  • Options
    I recently got my first free checkup at 5000 miles for my 2001.5. Called the dealer (Vista Motors in Pompano Beach, FL) and scheduled the oil change for the next day. No problem. Sounds like Jack Daniels is vying for "Worst VW dealer of the year". If you get a questionaire from VW about their service don't give em anything but 1's.
  • Options
    Glad to hear that it not all dealers, do the dealers have tech's that only handle oil changes? If not, they should. Having to wait this long just for an oil change doesn't make sense.

I have read that a dealer is usually good in only one of two ways. Either it has great deals on cars and bad service, or vice versa.

I did get a excellent deal on this car, so I think I have this dealer figured out.
  • Options
    Do you know when the back-ordered cd's will be in?
    I can't get an answer from the dealer - only that the delay is longer than expected. What are our options? We don't want the cd changer - we want the in-dash cd. Any advise? Thanks.
  • Options
    kb123kb123 Member Posts: 5
    Visited this site frequently in early 2000, then purchased, in Detroit, a 2000 1.5 turbo GLS 5-speed, satin silver for $24,000 all taxes. Cloth seats, winter pkg., monsoon & sunroof is what we wanted & have.
    Just got it's 15K service. Each servicing has been fine. They even fixed the little knob for rearview mirror my husband had broken off @ 10K service.
    Thinking of updating to the 2001 or 2002. Wondering if we should sell ourselves or trade-in. When getting service, dealer said they'd love to have our car to sell (guess in this economy many would rather let initial owner suffer the depreciation).
    Figure our 2000 @ $18-19K & new comp would be $23-24 unless we did 4M.
    Any thoughts here Passatteess? K---
  • Options
    silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    I'm in the Detroit area as well. It seems like you've had a good experience, even with the service dept. What dealership is this? I can keep them in mind if/when I decide to buy a Passat.

Thanks so much.

SilverCrown
  • Options
    mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    The problem is the number of VWs sold in the last few years has mushroomed, but the number of dealers has stayed about the same. Throw in the free sevice for 2 years on every VW sold, and it's no wonder you have to wait forever for service.
  • Options
    As I previously mentioned my VW dealer has been pretty good so far. They are having the BMW side moving out by the first of the year to a new location so the whole place will now be VW only. Should help all around. I previously had Camry's and I can tell you that Toyota really has their act together. Go anytime for oil change, get car back in 45 minutes (this was in New York State, Minnesota and recently here in Florida). VW took a little over 2 hours to give my car back. Too long but not fatal.
  • Options
    stgreenstgreen Member Posts: 74
    Thinking about a 2002 GLX for new england driving. i know its got front wheel (and i dont want to go with 4motion), but do 16 inch, 205/50 tires make driving in snow difficult.

i had a 94 saab 900se and because of high performance tires - even though it was front wheel drive - i needed snows.

ps - wife has 2001.5 fresco green/beige 1.8T and it has been great!. mine would be silverstone with grey interior...

thanks
  • Options
    skspghskspgh Member Posts: 28
    I have a BLACK 2001 GLS 1.8T with black velour seats. I'm FED UP of these seats. They look dirty easily, and catch lint all day long! I've decided to upgrade to leather seats. My dealer said it would cost $1300. Wow! Anyway, he mentioned the side airbags would be fine. Anyone have experience with upgrading to leather seats? Does your car warranty stay intact if they subcontract the work?
  • Options
    I left a previous message for you (#2022 in case you didn't see it). Can you tell me what dealer in NJ you went to. It sounds like you got a good deal and I'm looking for the same car.......Thanks
  • Options
    kcingakcinga Member Posts: 7
    Does anybody know if Tip-trannies are required for automatics in the Passat? Buying a car for my wife and I know she has absolutely no interest in the manual shift option. I'm thinking it's just a waste of money to pay for something she'll never use.

Just wondering what options there are for the automatic transmission for Passats...
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    These's only one,a FIVE speed Tiptronic. It is a little more expensive that other automatics,but the extra gear is really worth paying for. Depending how the manufacturer juggles the ratios,a 5 speed can give both better milage and acceleration.
  • Options
    mwhittmwhitt Member Posts: 69
    to bitburg and others asking about dealer. I used Crestmont Toyota Volkswagen. They are in Pompton Plains off of 23N near Wayne. Phone is 973.839.4000. Salesman was Robert Bauch. Good guy, straightforward. no real haggling. came in 200 over my bid, got the throw-ins and took his price. quite frankly best sales experience i have had
  • Options
    Thanks for the good info. You're the man...(or woman). I'll let you know what happens.
  • Options
    whichvwwhichvw Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I am in the market for a Volkswagen. My options are a NEW 2001 Jetta with leather, sunroof, 6 cylinder- blue exterior, beige leather - or a 2002 passat base 1.8T with the Monsoon system as the lone option.

A few things scare me about the Jetta.

1.Where it was built-I would much rather have a car built in Germany (Passat) than in Mexico
    2.The warranty-2/24 as opposed to the 4/50 the Passat currently has.
    3.Reliability-heard many stories about reliability of the Jettas. You either get a perfect one or one that has problems from day one.

I could get these cars for around the same price, so any suggestions or input would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    If you can really get them for the same price, the Passat is the obvious choice for a lot of reasons, not just the point-of-origin question. Your points are well-taken...I think you've answered your own question...those are all good arguments that you list in your post.
  • Options
    midusamidusa Member Posts: 3
    What has been the relationship of the GLX Invoice price to the final purchase price in your experience? Is the 4motion on the GLX worth the extra money?
  • Options
    luckystarluckystar Member Posts: 20
    Go for the Passat all the way! Just sit in both cars and you'll see the interior of the Passat is much nicer, minus leather seats. The tiptronic on the Passat is fun to use and the cupholders are way better...mind you, these aren't the fundamental features of the cars, but take them both for a test drive. The 1.8T on the Passat is good too.
  • Options
    When are the in-dash cd players available for those people who bought a 2002 Passat without one. Is there really a shortage or I am being tagged along for a long ride? I want my in-dash cd player NOW. Does anyone have an answer to this?
    Someone please respond. Thanks!
  • Options
    These are still on National Backorder...Sorry
  • Options
    steveiowasteveiowa Member Posts: 51
    I guess the answer to whether the 4Motion is worth the money depends on where you live. I live in Iowa and commute about 30 miles one way to work. We probably have 7-10 days a winter when the 4Motion will really make a difference. But safety was the primary reason we bought the Passat. The style, the fun and the room were all gravy...but very nice gravy indeed.

We didn't want an SUV, so our choices came down to the Audi with Quattro, the Subaru or the Passat. The A4 is too small for me and the Passat's styling, handling and room made the choice a no-brainer.

I haven't driven the 4Motion in the snow but man it's sweet in the rain. You feel like you are glued to the road.

Just so's ya know, it adds considerable weight to the car. Our mileage runs about 21.5, with most of our driving on the highway.
  • Options
    But, do you have any idea when they will be available? thanks again.
  • Options
    It is important to remember that *4MOTION* stands
    for the following: 1. For Traction
    2. For Performance
    3. For Control
    4. For Safety

Still no word, and I ask everyday, about the In-Dash units...Historically, we would install 10 or
    more Changers for every In-Dash; so I would suspect that my experience is not too dissimilar
    from the rest of the country, and that no one
    really anticipated any change in preference; would
    probably account for the inventories drying up...

Sorry...I wish I knew more...
  • Options
    Well, couldn't they just install another brand of in dash player? There are tons of other brands that should be compatible. I have written to VW customer service - lets see what they respond.
  • Options
    bsum70bsum70 Member Posts: 37
    flaca,

If you don't want to wait, there are several people selling their in dash single CD player on vortex.

There is also a 6 disc in dash changer sell by pgperformance?? It was directly from Germany and cost about $4-500.

Here is some picture of the changer:

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=1777646&a=13746946&f=0

I hope that help