Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    jmr001jmr001 Member Posts: 6
    New on this board. Wanted to say how much I enjoy my 2002 Passat GLS. I have a 2001 Chevy Malibu LS for a second car, and as far as the ride/comfort, the Passat wins hands down.
    I have the 1.8T with Tiptronic. The only complaint is the lag when you have to get into traffic in a hurry.
    No problems to date. Had a bad wiper blade insert, but they replaced it for free. Due for my first oil change in 2 weeks.

Also would like to comment on the sales/service department. Bought the car last December after xmas. No pressure, the salesman was very good and knew all about the car. I am leasing the car because this is my first VW and didn't want to get to tied up in it if I didn't like it.

When my wiper blade started to split, they got me in the next day.

Overall just very happy with everything.

My daughter just bought a 2002 Jetta 1.8T. She has the 17" wheels. Doesn't ride as nice as my Passat. But it seems like a nice car.

Thanks for letting me put my 2 cents in.
  • Options
    5speeder5speeder Member Posts: 97
    I bought a 5-speed GLS wagon with NO lux or leather last month and finding it was the proverbial needle in a haystack. 5-speed makes it hard enough, but add wagon and no lux or leather and you're getting pretty rare. The word I got on pricing was that because this was such a rare combo, I must not expect as much of a deal on it as I would with the more common auto, leather, lux equipped cars. I paid ~$200 over TMV--didn't want to wait for the '03s and wanted to grab the great VW finance rate, so I'm happy with the deal.

You may already know this, but at the vw website you can link to dealer webpages. Many of them have their inventories posted, so you can start your own search there. For the ones who don't post their inventory, there is usually an 800 phone number. My advice is to locate the car first, then try to buy from the dealer actually has it on the lot, rather than go to a dealer and ask them to get you a car.

Good luck in finding your 5-speed!
  • Options
    wishnhigh1wishnhigh1 Member Posts: 363
    is it common to get a price lower than MSRP if you order a car to your specifications from the factory?
  • Options
    5speeder5speeder Member Posts: 97
    I've seen that 10% figure before. That applies to all cars, all makes, right? I'm curious what the % of VWs (Passats?) that are sold in this country that are manual trans.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My 2002 Jetta 1.8T has the 17 inch wheels, and it does have a pretty harsh ride over bad pavement.
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    My local dealer might be stocking contrary to the typical dealer,but he always keeps MANY 5spd. Passats on the lot-even oddities like standard GLS with leather but no other options.
    Manual Passats are much higher than 10% of fleet in US.
  • Options
    grohman1grohman1 Member Posts: 1
    We bought our 2002 Passat loaded from a local dealer Jack Daniels Motors in Fairlawn NJ. Have a seat folks, you should read this.
    Problem #1, Within two weeks the passenger fog light had expired and was taking in moisture. The bulb and seals were replaced and a it was forgiven by us as a mistake.
    Problem #2,(3rd month) the loss of all day time running lights. Explanation by Service Manager, faulty headlight relay switch.
    Problem #3, the car was in for a routine oil change, the mechanic stripped oil pan and luckily it was detected a on the next oil change without blowing the motor.
    Problem #4 the dealership left the head light switch assembly loose and it fell into the dashboard when we decided to use our headlights. This was the beginning of our personal hell with this car. With approx, 15k miles we have been through all this.
    Problem #5, drivers side daytime running light expires, and I repair thinking we have another bad bulb on our hands.
    Problem #6 both daytime running light expires again in two weeks. Dealer explains its a faulty bulb and replaces, cannot find source of problem.
    Problem #7 climate control lighting shuts off for no reason, comes back on when you tap the dash.
    Oh while I am reflecting , before Problem #1, I would like to add two more instances of this fine car. The cigarette light burned out in one week, it was replaced and has burned out again two months ago. Not bad for using it five times. At this point we are afraid to touch it. Problem 8, the passenger front lights are totally out. Unfortunately for us Volkswagen and the dealer are not as receptive to helping us free of charge or giving us a loaner car being that we are out of warranty. Consider this, these problems were never fixed by the dealer or Volkswagen. In all we have spent about a week of time off from work and countless hours on the phone with VW Customer Service which frankly is a call center where they are very good at repeating things like " I understand your concerns but you are outside the factory terms" and " Volkswagen will consider "financial assistance" after a evaluation of your case" in plain English, they have not paid for anything and they are not going to fix it. This was a nice looking vehicle that has not met any of our expectations. It has been as frustrating to deal with as the companies who sold it to us. Oh well, so much for the little guy going head to head with a car manufacturer.
  • Options
    alfoxalfox Member Posts: 708
    I hate problems like that with a new car.

Could be something simple like a faulty voltage regulator - I wonder if the dealer even checked the voltage. That could explain most of the problems. Of course if could also be a car full of those mysterious electrical problems you hear about. Could be a lemon - did you check local laws? In any case, your description of the dealer's responses doesn't build much confidence in them.

But unless all of your expectations in the car centered around lighting, it must have met some expectations. Driving, handling, comfort? How did you find the rest of the car, or has the whole experience soured you on the car all together (which I understand - it has happened to me>)
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    My experiences both real and anecdotal with Audis and VW's is mostly at the other end of the spectrum. I am sorry -- not that I caused it -- for all the troubles you have had. I think it is correct to point them out here on this town hall and even more importantly to VW. I have found that the folks here in the US really do want to help, once you get to the right person.

Perhaps VWGUILD can help -- at least with some suggestions.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    was purchased/leased when????
  • Options
    hoodornamenthoodornament Member Posts: 114
    For what its worth, I got a 5 speed 1.8t with Leather, Luxury, Monsoon, and homelink for $23,680 + TTL. Didnt notice how many other manuals were on the lot because I went right to the color I wanted (Silverstone Grey with black leather) and showed him my competitive price quote from the internet and the deal was made right then and there .... its been a GREAT car

Good luck man,
    HO
  • Options
    sandhurstsandhurst Member Posts: 37
    I have only had my '02 variant for a week and a half and have followed the manual's instruction to turn the cap "until you hear a definite click." So I have not heard about three clicks. Could you say more about that?

Thanks, vwguild. Your comments in the past seven or eight months on this board were immensely helpful in making my final decision to buy a Passat.
  • Options
    in the fuel line is particularly sensitive and has been
    the cause of more than one *check engine* light.

Threading on all gas caps should theoretically be the same, but only to within a certain tolerance,
    and so where one click may be fine on one cap, it really may require two on another & three on another...Best rule...three clicks...

I don't know for sure if this was the source of
    your particular problem, but because New Vehicle
    Deliveries are not always perfect or complete, I
    mention it...;)
  • Options
    By all means...Rule of thumb...The only cars, any
    manufacturer, that carry full MSRP are those that
    are available only in very limited numbers.

Like all products, price is based on supply vs. demand...
  • Options
    ronsteveronsteve Member Posts: 1,195
    How does an '02 Passat get to be out of warranty already?? Did you buy it as an '01.5 before they went to the 50K mile warranty??

Something smells fishy here.
    2015 Acura RDX AWD / 2021 VW TIguan SE 4Motion
  • Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    If you can try another dealership

I'm available Friday...if you want me to go and replace your low beam bulbs, as I have some spare one lying around.
  • Options
    dolivettedolivette Member Posts: 17
    Hi all-
    I'm considering purchasing a Passat GLS 1.8. Does anyone have any experience with this car in the snow? I know the 4motion would be good, but it's out of my price range. Thanks.
  • Options
    trlykatrlyka Member Posts: 82
    It sounds like you got a car that was built on a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning.

In most cases, whatever the dealership attempted to fix and didn't before the warranty was up, they are responsible for until it's fixed right.

If you wait too long in between problems, they may try and give you a hard time.

If a reoccuring problem comes up, at least call them so it's documented and then bring in the car ASAP. Time is the enemy here. The dealership will use it against you.

Go into the dealership and raise hell until you get what they owe you. Once a problem is worked on and documented, it shouldn't matter how many miles are on the car. Provided you bring in the car within a reasonable amount of time after a problem, they should work on it until they get it fixed right.

Good luck
  • Options
    mazadimazadi Member Posts: 26
    I'm the excited new owner of a 2001.5 Passat GLS with 12k miles on it. I have a few questions for you experts:

- Is the area with the Heat/AC controls supposed to light up at night. I noticed that every other thing in the car lights up except this area. Do I have a burned out bulb?
    - When I push the key remote twice it does not unlock all of the doors. I can only unlock the driver's door with the remote. Do I need to do something to set it to open all doors when I push the remote twice?

Thanks in advance for your help. I LOVE this car so far.
  • Options
    wackawacka Member Posts: 16
    I had a dealer remark that they are getting in, 2003 Passats by the end of this month or sometime in July. Is this possible?

Do you think this increase my bargaining power if I want to get a 2002 Passat within the next few weeks??

Like to hear everyones opinion
  • Options
    Get the dealership to reset your alarm remote to the car.
  • Options
    My climate control lights in my Jetta went out as well. It's an electrical problem. I saw it happen in a New Beetle loaner I had as well, so I think maybe it's a problem with all their cars. Have your dealer check into it.
  • Options
    inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    Why this goes on I do not know but it is such a common theme that it should be considered--I will say my 01 Jetta had one problem and that was wheel alignment at delivery. Dealer fixed first week and drove straight and true.
    INKY
  • Options
    trlykatrlyka Member Posts: 82
    I have a '99 Passat and 3 of the 4 lights for where the vents are have burned out. Or could this be electrical? I have only had the car 3 weeks, so I don't know if they all burned out at once, or one at a time.

Anyone else have these lights burn out? Did you get them replaced? I'm afraid I'll end up spending $300 in labor for taking the dash apart and $5.00 on the bulbs.

• Options
    yousteryouster Member Posts: 10
    Your problems are outrageous for a brand new car.

Go to this web site

http://www.state.nj.us/lps/ca/brief/lemon.htm

File your complaint and let the consumer affairs office to decide whether you have a lemon or not. Attach all copies of your service invoices. Do it soon, don't wait.

I waited too long, because I didn't know my rights, and In Virginia, the statute is only first 18 months.

I have a 2000 GLS with a long history of check-engine light. Too bad, Passat is such a smart design, fun to drive, and the seats are so great for long-distance driving. VW quality control must do better.

• Options
    yousteryouster Member Posts: 10
    To mazadi - I had the same problem in my 2000 GLS. Dealer replaced the bulb, for $25.

To dolivette - my 2000 GLS is excellent in the snow, both driving and breaking, that's my own experience.
  • Options
    I asked when this Passat was purchased/leased and
    have never received a reply...very important part
    of this dialogue...
  • Options
    smpoolsmpool Member Posts: 33
    Does anyone know if VW will ever export the TDI Passat to the States?
  • Options
    hell freezes over, or the Major Oil Cos. are
    forced to clean up Diesel #2...European Diesel
    fuel is significantly cleaner and contains much
    less sulpher than that found here in the US...
    Many discussions on this topic over on the Vortex.
  • Options
    dolivettedolivette Member Posts: 17
    thanks for the response.
  • Options
    I was reading the article about that earlier (can't spell the name of it though). :) It looks pretty nice. And I would KILL for that V-10 diesel engine they are talking about! 3--hp and 552 lb/ft of torque? Americans would definitely learn to love diesels then! :)
  • Options
    2006 is when Ultra Low sulfur diesel must be used.
  • Options
    fl980fl980 Member Posts: 5
    10,000 miles on my 2002 1.8T Automatic and here are the quality issues:

1. Headlight went out at 8,000 mls
    2. When traveling in stop and go traffic, car violently downshifts and surges forward in a uncontrollable manner (occurred twice). The violent surge forward has snapped my wife's head against the headrest.

I've done my homework when researching a new car purchase and new the reliability issues with VW but was anticipating the 2002 model resolved them. Next Passat problem will result in a trade for a reliable Honda.
  • Options
    hidrhidr Member Posts: 4
    Hello,

I am desperate for a solution. I want to ask if anyone out there having problem with condensation in the side marker lens. 3 month after I got 2002 GLX, some idiot stole my side marker lenses and lamps (lights below side mirrors). They pulled the lens out and cut a wire inside. They also tried to steal my alloy wheels but saw the lock bolt, then gave up.

Our dealer reinstalled a new side marker lenses, lamps, and wires. After a few days later, a driver side marker lens was getting foggy. I can see that there is moisture inside. Several days later, it started to form beads of water inside. We went to get serviced twice. The third time, e went back to our dealer and replaced the left lens and two hours later I see the moisture forming in the lens again. The right side lens is just fine since they replaced first time. We went back to dealer right away to show what’s going on. The dealer had no clue and seemed not cared. They used air pressure to spray inside the lens, which has not way of getting air. If you’ve seen the lens carefully, lamp goes in the lens but have clear plastic cover over it. No way of getting moisture in there. The dealer messed around, but the result is the same.

I am getting sick of it. I bought a new car so I don’t have to commute to the dealer every other month. Does anyone have some problem? If so how did you fix it? Any suggestions???
  • Options
    silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    I have a couple of questions about potential offerings on future Passats:

1) Are there any plans to offer a power driver's seat option on the GLS 1.8T or V6? Or make it standard on all Passats?

2) When will an in-dash CD changer be available on the Passat?

3) Are there any dealer options for alloy wheels (w/o the entire Luxury package) or a wood trim package for the GLS models?

4) What is the Driver's Option? How does it work? How does it differ from a standard lease?

Thanks in advance for any information that you have on the above questions.

SilverCrown
  • Options
    1. No...Only GLX & W8
    2. Available *after market*...see www.vwvortex.com
    3. No...but several *aftermarket* applications
    are available...
    4. Driver's Option not available in Ca. For
    details try www.vw.com
  • Options
    silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    I figured that the alloy wheels would be available aftermarket, but I was unsure about the in-dash CD changer.

That's too bad about the power driver's seat. It seems like that would be standard on all Passats, they have so many other great features, it seems like an oversight to omit something so useful. For a reasonable price, I'd be willing to pay extra for that.

I did look on vw.com and I read the description for the Driver's Option. It sounds similar to a program that my credit union offers, but the short description didn't really give me enough information. It seems to have a higher payment, but I don't see the benefit of it, nor how it significantly differs from the straight lease. I guess that would be a question for the dealer if/when I ever get to that point. :-)

Thanks again.
  • Options
    screwloosescrewloose Member Posts: 7
    It should be understood that whenever the engine is running exhaust gasses are turning the turbo. On the other end of the shaft the compressor is also turning, forcing air into the cylinders. Turbo engines have little intake manifold vacuum, thus the electric vacuum pump to supply the power brakes and accessories. You might only hear the turbo when accelerating and the compressor is "spooling up", but it works all the time. Mine seems most noticeable when cold and some of the boost pressure is dumped until the engine gets warmer-to reduce emissions.The remote central locking may be programmed by the dealer to unlock the LF door and then All doors (selective)-or All doors (global).
  • Options
    pickles2pickles2 Member Posts: 2
    I am the proud new owner of a 2002 GLS with tip, Monsoon, and homelink in blue anthracite. Actually it was purchased in December, but I never got around to introducing myself to you folks. Had to wait for the color but luckily there was one with my exact preferences ready to be loaded on the boat and shipped over. Love the car and beautiful color! I have been reading this board for maybe 9 months now and find all of you to be very informative and friendly.

A few things to note:
    (1) I live in GA, so maybe the heat has something to do with this, I can bend down and on the underside of the door I notice a sticky white glue-like solution ran down from somewhere. It is only visisble when the door is open, and it occured on every door.
    (2) When my parking brake is on and I enter or exit the vehicle it makes a weird creaking noise. No biggie, probably normal.
    (3) The dial to adjust the brightness of the blue has been pushed into the dash a bit. This will be able to be pushed back out at my dealer, correct?
    (4) Probably the most important: I don't put many miles on it at all, (only about 2250 since mid December) so is there a time restraint on when it should be serviced? For instance, 6 months or 5,000 miles, whichever comes first? I couldn't find anything on this in the manual.

Thanks in advance for your responses. What a great vehicle this is!

BTW, why did they do-away with blue anthracite? It seems like the car in every single ad I have seen is blue anthracite. just wondering

Chris
  • Options
    Congratulations & Welcome to the VW Family!!!

1. That white substance is from a process called
    *Hot Wax Flooding*...This, in combination with
    100% galvenized steel gives you 12yr/Unlimited
    Miles OuterBody Rust thru Protection.
    2. If you are only driving 375 miles a month, on
    average, it is important to make clear if that
    is accurate, or if the car sits unused for
    several weeks at a time. I have always felt
    stop & go use is always harder on a car than
    highway miles, and would suggest that you
    change you oil every six months. If, on the
    other hand these are all highway miles, you
    can probably use the 5K timetable.
    3. You will need to have the Dealer look at the
    Dimmer switch.
    4. No answer about the creaking sound...
  • Options
    caw103caw103 Member Posts: 63
    <(2) When my parking brake is on and I enter or exit the vehicle it makes a weird creaking noise. No biggie, probably normal>

I have noticed the same creaking/groaning. It occurs when there is a change in weight with the parking brake on and you can duplicate it by pushing down on the trunk or hood. It's not a pleasant sound at all but I never pursued it.
  • Options
    pickles2pickles2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks vwguild! You are always very informative. That is correct... Just went over the 2250 mark today, and it is driven nearly everyday, mostly stop and go in metro-Atlanta.
    So do you think it would be okay to wipe away the Hot Wax Flooding substance where it has accumulated, or should I just leave it there? It doen't bother me at all, I just thought I would mention it.

Caw103... glad to hear that it isn't just my vehicle making these noises. Thanks for the response.
  • Options
    you certainly can wipe it off...comes with Hot
    weather...
  • Options
    charles15charles15 Member Posts: 57
    I also have a 2002 passat 1.8T with Tiptronic and used to get that hesitation and lurch forward occasionally. I resolved the problem in discussion with a Mercedes mechanic. The problem is usually attributed to using the left foot to brake.
    As you probably know the Passat starting in 2000 has a drive by wire system that replaces the accelerator cable with an electronic impluse. This is of course tied in to the tranny electronics. When you use the left foot to brake sometimes that causes the transmission to be confused as to whether you want to stop or go. Understand Mercedes sometimes has the same problem. Since I have avoided the left foot braking I never again had the lurching probem.
  • Options
    It's because the parking brake holds on to the rear discs, and when you move from the car, you move the car itself a little. Just retention. Totally normal, have had it in my Jetta, both my Proteges, and my Cavalier. Don't worry about it. :0
  • Options
    birdboy1birdboy1 Member Posts: 39
    Hi ,
    Would someone kindly let me know if keeping a cell phone power cord in the lighter outlet will drain the battery if left in overnight without the phone attached. The cord has a small led on light which says lit.
    My concern is because pulling the adapter in and out continuously has weakened the cigarette outlet connection. The service tech said I could leave it in all the time and it would not drain the battery, however he is the same person who told me " only the rear outlet should be used for the cell phone" the front one is for a cigarette lighter!!

Thanks again
  • Options
    fl980fl980 Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the advice Charle15
  • Options
    steveiowasteveiowa Member Posts: 51
    I've been away from the board for awhile...did you make the leap and get a Passat or are you still lurking?
  • Options
    eli12eli12 Member Posts: 1
    We took a drive on 2003 1.8T with stability control this weekend. Thinking to buy one but want to figure out the invoice first. Any suggestions/links to invoice/MSRP numbers will be appreciated.
  • Options
    adennadenn Member Posts: 18
    Greetings:
    Just purchased a 2002 GLS with luxury package and monsoon radio. The question I have is I thought I would have to use premium gas in the car. I was sure I saw this in consumer reports or on the VW website. Salesman told me that I could use regular with no trouble. Have not gotten the car yet, so not sure what manual will say. Will also speak with service department, but thought you owners could answer my question.

I look forward to reading and posting on this car and HOPE it is all positive material.

Thanks,
    Mark