Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    8u6hfd8u6hfd Member Posts: 1,391
    Premium is recommended for the best overall performance

Using regular....will trigger the knock sensors, then retard the timing, decreasing performance, and perhaps fuel economy
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    If there is no phone attached to the cell phone cord, it should not kill the battery. There is going to be nothing there taking energy from the car, only a cord to plug something in.
  • Options
    I have a 2002 1.8T Jetta (base engine in the Passat is this engine). I have been using regular gas in the car without a problem for about 5K miles now. Performance is not affected, and no knocking or loss of power either.
  • Options
    silvercrownsilvercrown Member Posts: 237
    Yes, I am still out here on the fringes, peeking in from time to time. I am still on the fence about the Passat as my next car. I love the car but something is still holding me back from taking the plunge.

Also, I've decided that it is not financially prudent to try and trade my Camry in this year. I know that I would not get enough to pay it off in a trade but I don't want to sell it privately. I've done that before and it's way too much hassle. I'm not having any trouble with it (although this sludge issue gives me some concern) so I can afford to wait. It's never given me the smallest problem so far. I just long for a bit more excitement. ** Sigh ** ....

If/when I ever do buy a Passat, you will be among the first to know. Thanks for thinking of me. ;-)

Still dreamin' ......

SilverCrown
  • Options
    dasvolkdasvolk Member Posts: 2
    Greetings:

I have not been able to find a manual shift 2002 Passat to save my life, so I went into a local dealer and ordered a 2003 (GLS 1.8T, manual, blue anthracite, luxury and leather (beige) packages) this past weekend. Based on the dealer's assertion that I would receive a $500 loyalty credit by using VW Credit, I agreed to pay $750 over factory invoice for the car and options. However, yesterday they came back to me and said that while the 2003 pricing for this configuration was dropping $300-400, that the destination charge was increasing $25, I would no longer be eligible for the $500 loyalty credit because the offer was ending June 30 and I would not be taking the car until July, and that I would be required to pay a $292 Port Fee as well.

1. Does anyone know more specifics on the terms of the $500 loyalty credit? I'm still trying to get through to someone knowledgeable at VW Customer Care (VW Credit told me that it is an offer run by VW of America).
    2. Can anyone confirm the validity of a Port Fee, or is this totally bogus? My thought has been that this is roughly the difference between the old invoice and the new invoice, and that the dealer is trying to sell me the 2003 at the same price I would have paid for the 2002.

I'm trying to keep positive by thinking that I'll still be getting a 2003 for slightly lower than the current TMV. However, I can't get over the feeling that I'm being lied to, and that my negotiations were impacted by a lie.

eli12: VW will tell you the MSRP if you call their information line. I was told that the GLS 1.8T is now $22,885 and now comes standard with the Luxury Package (except sunshade). The Leather Package now includes the sunshade and is $1600. Electronic Stabilization Program is $280.

Until I see the factory invoice on my vehicle, my best guess on invoice for these is $20,756 on the GLS 1.8T, $1413 on the Leather Package, and $247 on ESP.

Thanks,

Das Volk
  • Options
    vbi4vbi4 Member Posts: 29
    I believe the VW loyalty rebate is only for ** returning ** VW buyers (lease or finance through VW Credit only). If I recollect correctly, it does expire on June 30th. I see that you currently drive a VW and henece you will be able to use your loyalty rebate before June 30th if you have leased/financed the current VW through VW Credit. I am not sure if you will need to also lease/finance your new VW through VW Credit to be eligible. I have not heard of this scheme being extended (as of yet) though vwguild will be able to confirm those points.
    Yes, the destination charges have gone up by $25. The $292 you are referring too can be broken up as $25 for port fee + $ 92 for floor-plan interest and $175 for advertising. The adv charge is the one that varies.. the other two are standard.
    Lastly, I would urge that you bargain for the best price assuming that you don't have the loyalty rebate to use. That way, you always end up being satisfied with the price. You could even get the vehicle for less than invoice using the loytalty rebate ! I don't know where you reside, but from reading about what folks have paid, I would say that $300-500 above invoice is a reasonable price. Ofcourse, if you are looking for a specific vehicle (color, options, etc.) and are comfortable with the premium you have to pay, I don't think the dealer will complain about getting a few extra $$$.
    Hope this helped.
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    Thanks for doing most of the work!!!:)

Customer Loyalty Coupons are, in fact, due to expire on July 1st...Whether they will be extended
    I do not know...maybe they will. These coupons are
    for existing VW Customers with a current Registration on ANY VW, and there is NO Trade in
    requirement. You must Finance thru VCI because the
    coupon actually covers the 1st payment and part
    of the 2nd if there is any remaining balance.

Less than 10% of ALL car sales are Manual trannys;
    so you will pay more for something that is in relatively short supply.

Rates for 2003 will not be available until Monday.
  • Options
    dasvolkdasvolk Member Posts: 2
    Much obliged!

This will be my third VW and I was intending to use VW Credit, but there's not much incentive to do so without the loyalty credit.

In any event, I'll be happy just to get my hands on a car that meets my specs.

Best regards,

Das Volk
  • Options
    veeedubyaveeedubya Member Posts: 1
    Read many hundreds of messages here, learned a great deal -- about prices and pitfalls and octane -- and even recently where to put the fat owner's manual and that one can unscrew the antenna. As a result of my reading, I made the switch from my excellent 96 Toyota Camry to a 4Motion GLS about a month and 2000 miles ago.

I'm very happy with the car in all respects, though I'd hoped for somewhat better gas mileage (am getting about 22 mpg). I knew from reading here that's about what I could expect, but that didn't keep me from hoping for better. Still, the Passat is absurdly fun to drive and I've had no problems with it.

I have a profoundly trivial question to ask. My inquisitive 13-year-old son found a door to a one-inch plastic strip that hides at the top middle of the windshield just behind the rear view mirror. Once opened, the little hatch door lets you lower this visor-like strip. What is it for and why is it there? Couldn't find anything in the owner's manual about it.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to take the time to enlighten me on this admittedly mundane matter.
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    that flap is to block that last ray of sun if you're driving directly into the sun. This is typical of the perfect ergonomics typically found in German cars.
  • Options
    You really cannot monitor good MPGs until the car
    is well broken, 5-10K miles, and then, depending upon how & where you drive, in one month intervals
    based upon miles v. fuel pumped.

The display on the MFA is NOT your Standard of Measure, or should not be...

Enjoy your new Passat...Congratulations & Welcome
    to the Volkswagen Family!!!
  • Options
    frapzoidfrapzoid Member Posts: 127
    You can take this with a grain of salt since I have only about 4200 miles on a 2002 Passat wagon V6/stick. My first tank I got 19 mpg. When I picked up the car it had a full tank of gas but have no idea what grade of gas was in there. First time I filled it up I used midgrade stuff and I got 20 mpg. All other fill ups have been premium and I now average between 24-26 MPG.
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I've never heard that it is not an accurate reading of mpg. Just using its readout,I've supposedly been getting 33mpg from my 2001 4cyl. 5spd(conservative driving). I thought this was rather high,but up to now,I've been trusting it. Mistake?
  • Options
    is ok for a specific trip...point A to B, but if
    you are really interested in getting an accurate
    average over time, fuel added v. miles driven,
    month over month, or qtr. over qtr. is probably
    the way to go...Just one man's opine...
  • Options
    rehaydorehaydo Member Posts: 2
    Read the comments about fuel mileage with interest. One of the good things about my Passat during the 2 years I've had it is that it gets better mileage than forecast. Driving in a mixture of fast and slow driving on the interstate, I average a bit better than 25 miles a gallon.

The bad news is, the fuel gauge is next to useless because it drops to 1/4 when the tank is half empty and stays there. I've drvien over 50 miles with the gauge not moving. The worse news is, VW couldn't (wouldn't) fix it because their technical support center said the gauge operation was 'normal'. When I tried to fix it myself, I found the gauge system was a complete kluge. To fit the all wheel drive, they changed the tank to a saddle shape and pushed up the floor in the rear so that the rear seats won't fold.

I bought new parts (three units - $200) and spent $300 at a VW service center other than the one I got the car from to install the parts (not an easy job) and succeeded only in having a wobbly system. The gauge wanders up and down in addition to falling to 1/4 tank early. I haven't had the nerve to drive it down to the fuel warning light because of the traffic I'm always in.

The car is going to be history shortly unless a miracle happens. Someone else who does't mind filling up the tank frequently can enjoy my beauty.
  • Options
    frapzoidfrapzoid Member Posts: 127
    I don't use the MFA for figuring out the MPG. I do it the old fashion way.
  • Options
    cephas1cephas1 Member Posts: 13
    VW GUILD, after 7 months of thorough research, I finally got a 2003 Passat GLX, Silverstone grey w/grey interior! She is beautiful and purrs like a kitten! I can't thank you enough for your expert advice both in these discussions and on the phone. I look forward to many future posting on how my "baby" grows up in the future. This car is awesome, baby!
  • Options
    Congratulations!!! Welcome To the Volkswagen Family!!!

What did they do about the financing?
  • Options
    I think it was originally found in the Lexus SC400. May be wrong...but I believe that's correct.
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Is there anyone out there who knows how the 2003 Passats are different from the 2002s?
  • Options
    inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    Did the loyalty rebate from VW credit and the low financing expire June 30th or close of business today.? Also, will low financing rates continue for unsold 02 models?
    Thanks
    INKY
  • Options
    Today...
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    OK with knowledge the loyalty coupon thing for $500 probably ending today. I went to dealer. Two 5 speed turbos in stock. In fact only Passats.
    Both loaded. While dealer researching any loyalty credit--said he never heard of that on a VW only Audi? Anyhow, I drove and on each and every left hand turn the horn honked incessantly. Salesman was very knowledgeable and quite contrite. I wonder how with 72 miles this was not fixed. What a turn off. First, $500 loyalty thing a mystery (perhaps not available in OK) then mystery horn.
    I gave my thanks to all and left. Sad because no one else offers a vehicle that fun to drive (with a 5 speed) for $23,500 (lux and leather net price). Anyhow, it drove nicely better than the Jetta by being more solid and larger. Maybe next year....
    INKY
  • Options
    mazadimazadi Member Posts: 26
    Has anyone had experience with aftermarket wood trim for the GLS Passat? If so, how does it look and where did you buy it?

Thanks.....
  • Options
    trlykatrlyka Member Posts: 82
    My '99 Passat V6 auto with tip seems to run just fine w/o the AC turned on, but as soon as I put it on and ask it to go, it seems like the car wants to lay down and die. Is this common for the V6 to act so unwilling? I'm afraid to push it with the AC running. I tend to drive like granny so I don't waste gas or make the engine work too hard.

Would new spark plugs help? I got the car with 94,000 miles on it, so I wonder if the previous owner worried about changing the plugs. I think I read that they needed changing right around now.

Thanks
  • Options
    inky4inky4 Member Posts: 238
    I would like to thank all esp vwguild for insight. I think he may be rare person of knowledge. I really like this board.
    INKY
  • Options
    adennadenn Member Posts: 18
    I notice that my new Passat has a fair amount plastic on the exterior--particularly along the bottom of the lower body. Any suggestions of products to use to keep this plastic in good shape and keep it from fading?

Thanks,
    Mark
  • Options
    jpierce26jpierce26 Member Posts: 60
    Hi all,

I have spent many hours researching the usual choice of cars. I was thinking about the Audi A4, BMW 330, Infinity G35, and the Passat GLX.

I have finally decided on the Passat. I am planning on going to the dealer next week to negotiate a car. I read about all the different tactics on how to reduce the price to something like $500-$1,000 over invoice. Is that really possible? All the cars I have purchased in the past have been around MSRP.

I am in the New England area, Rhode Island to be exact. Anyone know of any good dealers to work with? I am planning on purchasing from Scott's, but I really want to be aggressive with my discount. I guess the key is to be willing to walk.

Any ideas on how to accomplish the tedious task of getting the best price for a great car? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Jeff
  • Options
    cephas1cephas1 Member Posts: 13
    Jeff, like you I spent 8 months researching VW, LExus and Audi and bought the 2003 GLX Passat this past weekend. It saved me about 6 grand over the other models mentioned. Go to the VW website and connect to the dealer locator area; put in a determined mile radius that you would be willing to drive and start contacting those dealers. If you're determined to buy from Scott's but you have found a better deal close by, let the sales manager or internet manager know what you can get the car for. Typically, they'll at least meet the deal if not beat it. If you can wait, I would wait and see what VW Credit is going to offer on financing on 2003 models. As of July 1, these haven't been set by VW credit on the 2003s. Maybe someone like VWGUILD might know better about the rates. I had a great buying experience with a fellow named Mike Henson at Ash Tisdelle in JAcksonville, Fla., if you're not afraid of a long distance delivery (or take a Fla. vacation and pick it up!). Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Brian C. Welch
  • Options
    rickwvwrickwvw Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I picked up my 02 GLX with 4Motion yesterday. We drove it about 20 miles. Today my wife drove it to the dr's office. When she was ready to head back home the car wouldn't start. The interior lights came on but the engine wouldn't turn over. I was able to jump start the car.

I took the car to the dealer who says that the battery is fine but is holding it over night to check it again in the morning. How worried should I be about this?

Thanks
  • Options
    email me...
  • Options
    Hey Brian, thanks for the info. I am a bit bummed that the incentives for this month are low financing. I am planning on paying for the car on my home equity, so I can deduct the interest. I was looking for cash back....

We are in a heat wave up here in New England, so traveling south does not interest me at all.

Jeff
  • Options
    vbi4vbi4 Member Posts: 29
    I doubt if VW has any current cash-back incentives going on and I haven't seen any from VW for Passats recently. However, dealers may have some cash-back deals going on as part of regional/local programs. You wil have to check that with the dealers. If you currently own/lease any VW, you may qualify for VW loyalty rebate of $500. It expired on June 30 and I am not sure if it has since been extended. I do see on vw.com site that the 2002 financing deals have been extended till July 31 though I am not sure if they also apply to the 03 models. vwguild will have the most accurate information on the 03 models - pricing, incentives, etc.
    As for the buying process, I would second cephas1. Start with getting quotes from nearby dealers and find out which dealer comes closest to it by a reasonable amount. The variances may be due to differences in the sales and after sales experiences. You definitely should be able to get 02 model for much less than $500 over invoice IF any cars are still on the lots. Colors and options may be limited if that is the case. Since the 03 models are just rolling in, you may have to be a bit compromising there but I still think that $500 over invoice is a win-win situation. I would advise that you start from the invoice price and move upwards rather than coming down from the MSRP.
    /vb
  • Options
    If you the invoice price on Edmunds, you may find that the different between invoice price and MSRP may be about $1000. Not much room to work with.
  • Options
    cpm2cpm2 Member Posts: 3
    Jeff,

I know you are looking at a GLX but I just bought a loaded (leather, lux, monsoon, etc...) GLS for $50 (yes that says fifty) over invoice. I could have bought a GLX for $100 over invoice but I didn't want to spend that much money. Contact the dealer's using Edmunds.com pricing service to deal directly with the fleet/internet manager. Good luck.
  • Options
    do not offer or comprehend the words *rebate* or
    *cash back*...
    SubVented rates continue through July on 2002s, Customer Loyalty Program has ended, 2003s carry
    rates of 6.25%-6.49% for up to 60 Months...
  • Options
    lenscaplenscap Member Posts: 854
    Your situation has happened to my friend's Passat three times in the last year. Each time it was towed to the dealer and they never can figure out what is wrong and why.
  • Options
    johnxyzjohnxyz Member Posts: 94
    Posted same query in Wagon section - where is the special socket to remove the one odd lug nut per wheel in case of a flat? I didn't see it in the trunk or glovebox for our purchased new 2000 Passat? Thank you. John
  • Options
    Thanks all for your help. I really have my heart set on the GLX. I was considering paying 41K for the BMW so $50 or $100 over invoice is not that much money when it comes to what I am looking for.

I was able to get a good idea of Invoice vs. MSRP. Plus there seems to be a 2% holdback. So even if they sell the car to me at invoice, they are still making $600.

I like the idea of checking around. I guess I never really thought about that. I bought a GTI about 5 years ago from the sales guy at Scott's in Rhode Island. I have since sold it and purchased a Nissan Maxima.

I was thinking that I had no where else to go. But there seems to be at least three different dealers in a 20 mile radius.

I am going to negotiate a price somewhere else and then head over to Scott's when the sales guy is back from vacation and see if he can beat the price.

Any other comments are welcomed.

Jeff
  • Options
    georgek44georgek44 Member Posts: 81
    This should be in a small pocket closed with a velcro flap on the plastic pouch that holds the lug wrench and screwdriver. It was missing on my 2000 wagon, which I discovered at 45K miles when I wanted to buy new tires.

After some discussion, my dealer ordered one at no cost, and conceded that "many" Passats were delivered without this item, which should be added during dealer prep. Your salesperson is supposed to check for it prior to delivery, but apparently many do not bother. This is another unpleasant example of the Not Ready For Prime Time aspect of the VW dealer network.
  • Options
    desertrat5desertrat5 Member Posts: 85
    I purchased a new 2003 GLS wagon two weeks ago here in Glendale, AZ. It was the first one in the Phoenix area apparently as I had three dealers looking and only this one came up. For 2003 the aluminum wheels, the moonroof, and the CD player are standard on the GLS wagon as opposed to being an option package. Also, I believe they have added backlighting to all of the controls on the steering wheel as well as the window and door lock controls. Beyond that I think the 2003s are the same as the 2002s.

After almost 1000 miles I am more impressed with the car than when I started. Just came back from a four hundred mile round trip to the canyon. Average was 25.9mpg which includes lots of interstate and climbing from Phx at 1100 asl to over 8000 asl in the Flagstaff area. The car just wants to go. For a 1.8L four cylinder it has an amazing amount of power. And with the turbo there is no noticeable change in responsiveness between Phoenix and Flagstaff. I believe that the car would pull a 6-speed manual instead of the 5.

Anyway, so far it has been great! Hope you find the one you are looking for and enjoy it as much as I have so far.
  • Options
    bw848bw848 Member Posts: 2
    I appreciate your advice, which saved me about $2000! Many thanks.
  • Options
    c1rybickc1rybick Member Posts: 35
    I wanted a 1999-2000 Passat GLS 1.8t, with lux, but mom's (who's a defense contractor) contract ran out, and she's been doing some independent work out in California (we live in Alabama), but the money situation ain't so good (especially not with 2 teenagers in college).

So we bought a 1995 Toyota Camry LE. It's okay, 4-cylinder and an automatic, though. I think it's a really good looking car, but it doesn't even have ABS.

Hopefully I'll get my Passat in January when my sister's Civic is paid off. Then Mom gets to commute in the Camry (it does drive nice, with 115,000 miles on it).

But geez, our VW dealer leaves cars unlocked ALL the time (once, oh my gosh, a 2000 Audi A8, unlocked WITH THE KEY IN THE IGNITION!). Maybe vwguild can explain why the key wouldn't turn though, because yes I tried it. I've gone and sat in Passats several times, usually taking a CD or two with me to listen to (all the Passats have the Monsoon option). Nobody's ever said anything to me about it (of course I go after the dealership is closed). But the W8 Passats are never unlocked, hehe...although neither are the New Beetles.
  • Options
    I would suggest that a very incompetant management team
    would be responsible...
  • Options
    jbstljbstl Member Posts: 5
    Just picked up a new '02 gls and have not noticed any "cooling fan" coming on after parking, even
    though the engine is warm (hot)
    Should there be one coming on?? If so, any ideas as to how long you need to drive the car, prior to the fan coming on?
  • Options
    agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    DOES ANYONE KNOW WHEN VOLKSWAGEN WILL REDESIGN THE PASSAT. I'M REALLY INTERESTED IN THE PASSAT, BUT I DON'T WANT TO BUY ONE IF A NEW PASSAT IS COMING OUT SOON
  • Options
    agh15agh15 Member Posts: 90
    WILL THE PASSAT HAVE ONSTAR, AND XM RADIO ON THE 2003 MODEL.
  • Options
    Number one, try not to use CAPS when typing. It signifies "yelling" and is considered rude.

You can have XM radio put in any car on the road, but it's like $300 or something like that, plus the ~$10 or so a month access fee.

The Passat was also just redesigned for the 2001.5 model, so I don't think it's going to be touched again for another 3-4 years.

The On-Star thing might be available as an option in the car, but you would have to go aftermarket to get it I think. Check out http://www.vwvortex.com for more info on the 2003 models.

• Options
    should be available Q1 2003
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Unbelievable! Cars with keys in the ignition after the place is closed????

M