Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Volkswagen Passat 2005 and earlier

Comments

• Options
    aggie76aggie76 Member Posts: 266
    Anyone out there compared the A6 to the W8 and then go with the W8? I've got an A6 quattro 3.0 on order but am rethinking my decision after seeing and reading about the W8 and the price difference. Any specific "gets or losses" between the two? I see that the rear seats don't fold on W8 but the doors lock at 8 mph and daytime running lights are added. A6 has dual HVAC and bigger trunk but W8 has 270 hp. Space seems about equal from the numbers.

And I know some folks say they don't expect cross shopping but these both appear to be great cars even if from same parent!

Any and all opinions welcome.
  • Options
    trlykatrlyka Member Posts: 82
    Is your car new? I have a '99 I just bought and there are no bad smells. I read in my manual that if you use the re circulating air feature that you should NOT SMOKE. Since the same air is circulated over and over, smoking will leave deposits on the evaporator causing a permanent smell and it is very costly to replace the part. You would have to replace the evaporator in order to get rid of the smell.

My Mother just got a brand new Ford Escape and she gets a foul smell too, but it does go away. She doesn't smoke.

:)
  • Options
    Just got a '99 Passat GLS last week. I just noticed that the passenger side outside mirror is smaller then the drivers side outside mirror.

If it matters....They are power and heated mirrors.

Does anyone know why they are different sizes?

• Options
    pkraddpkradd Member Posts: 358
    My 2001.5 (2002) Passat has mirrors that are the same size. Nah, nah, nah!! Just kidding. This question was asked before and I don't remember the answer. Try scanning back. (It's not a mistake if you're thinking that it is).
  • Options
    Hmmmmm let's see. Scan back through 3800 messages, or wait and hope someone will know the answer. Or better yet, wait until morning and call the dealer. :p

I'm just playin....no hard feelings

I still love the car!

• Options
    Remember, objects appear closer then they are.
  • Options
    Does anyone know how I can get the window sticker for a used Passat? I know I can reproduce one, but I was wondering if there was a site I could go to and put in the VIN# to produce what would be just like the original factory window sticker that the car had on it when it was brand new.

Thanks
  • Options
    merc1merc1 Member Posts: 6,081
    Forgive me if you've already posted on/about this, but I'm awaiting your personal review/test drive of the Passat W8. You do it yet??

M
  • Options
    rayainswrayainsw Member Posts: 3,192
    Aggie76 -

I looked at and drove A6s (2.7TT and 4.2) before purchasing my W8 a couple of weeks ago.

I also drove most every other 'interesting' vehicle available for about $35K on up to $40+, including a couple of BMW 330i-s and a 530, a 2002 version of my old car (Y2K Lincoln LS8 Sport) and several competing Sport Sedans.

[That does not make me an expert, just experienced . . .]

The 4.2 is a very nice vehicle - Mark has posted many times on the A6 board and I read many of his comments with interest. But the price is too high for me to justify to myself (no significant other to convince) right now.

The 2.7 is also very nice, and has a different character. But once equipped with some of the options I wanted (Convenience, heated seats, Moonroof, etc.) the price again climbs quickly. If you compare a comparably equipped A6 2.7TT to a W8, the W8 is (as Mark pointed out some time ago) a 'bargain'.

And (odd issue, perhaps, but I care about such things) the 2.7TT has a 18.5 gallon fuel tank. This is better than the absurd 16.6 g. tank in the BMW 3, but I appreciate the additional range of the 21.1 g. tank in the W8.

Anyway - if you have any other specific questions, post them, and I will try to answer here . . .

Cheers,
    - Ray
    Who has finally exceeded the 1,000 mile 'break in' period - YE-HA!!!!!!!!!!!!
    2022 X3 M40i
  • Options
    Thanks for quick response. I will think through my process and respond with any questions. Thanks also for the hint regarding Mark, he has done a great job with reviews and I'll do some searching for his posts.
  • Options
    markcincinnatimarkcincinnati Member Posts: 5,343
    I have waxed often and long about the transition period that Audi and VW are reportedly beginning here in 2002. Today, during the "time between the parenthesis" the W8 and a top o' the line A4 and a bottom to middle of the line A6 show the difficulty that Audi may face over the next 18 - 36+ months as VW moves upscale, upprice and in some ways compete with Audi.

The Passat W8 is the first example, the Phaeton will be next and so on through 2005 as the differentiation between Audi and VW becomes, so has been reported, obvious.

Today, I feel there are differences, subtle differences (and I am thinking of test drives) between a Passat W8 and an Audi A6 3.0 quattro. The price of the "loaner" 2002 Audi A6 I am driving while my 2001 A6 4.2 is in for its 30,000 mile check up is $43,000; and, while it is very well equipped, it is not "maxed out" by any means. Moreover, while I applaud the major character change that the 3.0 V6 engine has bestowed on the A6, well, it isn't 270 HP and 273 lb ft of torque. The A6 is slightly larger than a Passat. But, from the driver's seat, the differences, while real are "subtle."

The "true" (whatever that means) differences between the Audi and the VW would emerge perhaps in the following situation: buy both cars and drive them about equally for 6 months. The Audi's chassis stiffness and its dynamic capabilities (I am presuming since I have not had the luxury of such a comparison) and hence its differences would become evident. On the other hand the sheer power of the VW would probably be "appreciated" over the $5,000 more expensive A6 3.0.

It is a tough time for AUDI/VW because there will be folks who cross shop -- and minus the "snob appeal" of the Audi and the spotty VW dealership experiences that are widely reported, the VW seduces with power and price. In a 45 minute test drive, even if they are literally back to back, I would suspect the VW will scream "pick me pick me. . .I am (today) the biggest bargain on the block."

The fact that I have just ordered a 2003 allroad 2.7T with a 6spd manual may tell you something, but in no way does it mean I do not believe that for the next couple of years that VW makes a very compelling case when compared with similarly or even more expensive Audis (and Bimmers, Mercs and other fine European cars -- and although if I say this, I'll get a whippin' -- but I'll say it anyway -- the case for the W8 against a similarly price Japanese car is even more pronounced [but that is becuase I am "Euorpean Car feel" biased]).

You will not go wrong with either, however. Wait until the W8 "sport" with 6spd manual comes out -- talk about ruffled feathers over at Audi (thinking of the 2.7T, and its $10,000 premium over the W8 Passat Sport).
  • Options
    vwguildvwguild Member Posts: 1,620
    The right side passenger mirror was smaller...
    someone thought it was cool; then decided it wasn't...same on Beetles of the same vintage...
  • Options
    I love the *AllRoad*, but have you checked out the
    profile of the VW Touareg over at the Vortex???
  • Options
    caw103caw103 Member Posts: 63
    Not to get further off topic, but the Touareg looks very nice. It's one of the reasons I've held off on trading in my wife's suv. Here's hoping a 8 cylinder and luxury package can come in around $35K.

vwguild any more specifics on pricing?
  • Options
    blunted1blunted1 Member Posts: 1
    I am curious to see if any VW owners have encountered this problem. My mechanic informed me that metal is actually being shaved off of the inside of my front rotors. He said this problem is something he has seen on cars that are 5+ years old, but it should not be happening to a 2 year old car w/ 26,000 miles (of course my warranty is expired now).

So I climbed under the car for a look and sure enough, the rotors look like someone took a ball peen hammer and smacked my rotors with it.

My mechanic said that my brake pads are like new, but this problem will ruin them at an accelerated pace. Any similar problems? Any advice on how I should present this to my VW dealer in hopes they might do something for me? Thanks.
  • Options
    I would say in the Passat GLX-W8 range...Depending
    upon the options & PowerPlant...
  • Options
    It's very handsome, somewhat like the BMW. But the name! I read somewhere that it will probably be changed for North America.
  • Options
    serkincserkinc Member Posts: 5
    To stay off topic, I love the name "Toureg." I believe it is pronounced "Twar Egg" and is named after a nomadic African tribe, particularly known for its beautiful jewelry. What better name for an SUV than a nomadic tribe?
  • Options
    How about something people can pronounce?
  • Options
    georgek44georgek44 Member Posts: 81
    Why worry about how people will pronounce "Touareg" when here in the USA they don't even pronounce the corporate names correctly?

For example, when was the last time you heard anyone say: Volkswagen ("Folks-vahg-in") BMW ("Bay Em Vay") or Mercedes-Benz ("Mer-say-dase Benns")
  • Options
    The Famous Jagwire
  • Options
    "The Touareg are known as the Knights of the Desert, famed for their traditions, pride, intelligence, dignity, and the ability to adapt
    to difficult conditions."

Seems pretty appropriate to me...
  • Options
    It's OK to change the pronounciation of names into an english version of same. Well, in any event I won't have to worry as I love my Passat and have no plans to trade it in for a you-know-what. (I hate SUVs - the lack of visibility when you're behind them, the "always on the cell phone drivers", the excessive use of fuel...." Got that off my chest!
  • Options
    better???
  • Options
    veedub1veedub1 Member Posts: 5
    thanks for the info trylka.

we don't smoke or anything. i guess i should contact our dealer.
  • Options
    I'm a new man!
  • Options
    5speeder5speeder Member Posts: 97
    #3810 - Congrats on hitting the first 1k on the odo! I just hit that today myself on my new GLS wagon. According to my owner's manual, we are now allowed to exceed 120 mph. Let 'er rip!
  • Options
    5speeder5speeder Member Posts: 97
    #3821 & 3822 - Let's not forget to include the Mitsubisshy, the Hyunda and the Cam-ray!
  • Options
    georgek44georgek44 Member Posts: 81
    Also: "LAN-ch'ya", "Ray!-know" and "POR-sha"

And, while the British pronounce Jaguar "Jag-you-are", in the original Guarani it's more like
    "Zzhahh-gWa!". (The Guarani indians also supplied our name for what they call a "devil fish", the ever-popular "Peer-RAH-an-YAH!")

Not to mention all those two-door cars properly known as "Coo-pays"... of which, my favorite is the Chevrolet "Somewhat Large Shrimp", AKA Camaro (a "camaron" would be a large shrimp).
  • Options
    Went to dealer today and drove the W8. Very impressed and was impressed with power, ride, sportiness. Dealer had two sedans, silver/black & gray/black plus a wagon on lot. Sales guy knew next to nothing - turned out I knew more from research and spent time educating him - worth a discount should I buy I think.

Great ride & what a V...oops, W8 engine. Doing a side by side spreadsheet comparison tonight of features, options, specs, etc. versus the A6 and finding both very close. Most glaring difference is trunk space and folding seats. Got to check if my golf bag & partners will fit in what seems much tighter trunk area. Couple of other interesting facts, mini-spare on steel rim, no 1st aid kit or warning triangle even though there was spaces for both. Seems that the reduced W8 length impacts the trunk size and two inches of leg room too.

Was very put off when another salesman essentially hovered over us after my test drive and almost grabbed keys out of my hand to go off with another customer. Very rude indeed and told my sales guy so, he seemed miffed too but didn't say anything to this guy. This may cause me to go find another dealer to make a deal if this is how they treat folks willing to put $40k for an upscale VW. Can't believe this same behavior will win customers when the Phaeton hits the showroom.
  • Options
    jlp2jlp2 Member Posts: 2
    I'm interested in purchasing an extended warranty for my 2001.5 Passat. I spoke to the dealership today during the 10,000 checkup and got their prices for the Volkswagen warranties. I also know there are after-market warranties with such companies as Warranty Gold and Warranty Direct.

I'm interested in finding out if anyone in this forum has any information, yea or nay, about these warranties and/or companies. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    If you feel like sharing............

I was wondering how old you all are and why you like/love your Passat. What year do you have and what attracted you to it? How is it different then other cars you owned? Did you buy it after owning a 2 door or did your family grow? Do you consider it sporty or more of a basic family sedan? Have you always owned VW's and if not, is it your favorite car out of the ones you've had?

I'm asking because I can not believe that my taste in cars has changed as much as it has over the past few years. I'm not sure if I should throw in the towel to growing old, or be happy that I own the most sophisticated car I've ever had.

I had my eye on a 3 series BMW for over 5 years. Then I liked the Jetta after realizing that the BMW was out of my $$ range. Then as I had to seriously start looking, I found myself looking at slightly bigger cars then what I had my eye on and I ended up with the '99 Passat.

I'm used to having cars built for speed and I always had 2 door cars (Corvette)

Should I be afraid to "test" this cars ability? For some reason, I haven't done anything extreme.

I know it's not a vette and I don't expect it to act like one, but I can't help but think that 4 door means boring to drive and that's how I'm treating it.

I am a 30 year old female and I grew up with American vehicles. This is the first German made car I've had, so I'm tip-toeing around it like I'm not sure if it bites.

Thanks for your input :)
  • Options
    jace1jace1 Member Posts: 23
    go to clubb5.com, for info on what performance enthusisats are doing with their Passats. BTW, B5 is the VW model designation of the 98 and newer Passats.

JC
  • Options
    merckxmerckx Member Posts: 565
    I'm 47;I bought one of the last 2001 Passat GLS 1.8T 5-spds(really dislike all the chrome,bulky armrest,and longer hood).
    I was considering much more expensive cars,but decided to make my first stick be a more unassuming car,in case I wanted to quickly resell it.
    I have been a little amazed how much of a pleasure it is driving. Since 1998,I'd always thought the Passat was the most attractive sedan design,bar none(even including the Jag XJ8).
    I think the Passat is the perfect mix of sporty Miata and cushy Cadillac.
    It has been the best car I've ever owned. The stick really adds a LOT of fun;I definately HIGHLY reccommend it.
    I've been a car nut my whole life,but I've never really cared for very powerful,supposedly "entheuists"cars.
    So for me,the Passat has been perfect.
  • Options
    lightyearlightyear Member Posts: 1
    I had purchased extended warranty from Warranty Direct(5 year/75,000 miles and 0 deductible) for about $900. My 99 GLS had about 23000 miles on it at that time.
  • Options
    avillanuevaavillanueva Member Posts: 11
    I would appreciate feedback on a deal I'm about to enter this Saturday: passat 1.8T gls automatic with luxury, homelink, monsoon, cold weather packages. Price: $23,412 plus tax and tags. Haven't been able to match this number anywhere in the region. Thanks.
  • Options
    automan227automan227 Member Posts: 118
    What dealership are you getting this from? I am on the outskirts of philly and would be interested to know what dealership you are getting this from.

Thanks.
  • Options
    bklynguybklynguy Member Posts: 275
    I would appreciate any feedback, both positive & negative on the Passat ( from drivers who have over 10,000 miles on their 2002 Passat sedans with the V6 ) did you have any electrical or other problems ? Does any one know if the 2003 Passat will have HID/Xenon lights as an option ? I know that Passats sold in Germany have bi-xenon lights ( both low & high beam ) as an option.
  • Options
    spider6spider6 Member Posts: 35
    Yes, just got a blk 2002 1.8T Passat with grey leather GLS, beautiful car inside out, a real head turner. However, my trip computer module had to be replaced at 700 miles due to occasional
    fail to display. Local BMW/VW dealer did a good job of repair and haven't had any problems since at 1100 miles. Rest of the car is first rate, tight all around.. very fun to drive smooth
    ride, I actually test drove a Saab 9-3 and found the VW to be much more smooth, the turbo is
    awesome, this is a quite fast smooth sharp $25K German sedan. I still can't believe I got this
    much car for the money. It even comes with rear sunshade. Inside the car is high high quality
    soft release soft feel material all around. I had Japanese cars with leather before, the Passat's
    leather is much softer and has a nice texture to it, and most of all it has a wonderful smell of
    good leather welcomes you when you open the Merc alike feel doors.
  • Options
    jfgoingjfgoing Member Posts: 13
    to "difficult conditions" as that's exactly what they're gonna have to do once all us folks start driving these C02 pumping SUV's. Pretty funny. I love how all these climatemobiles are called Sequoia, Tundra and whatnot, too.

Maybe they should come with little sets of third-worlder kill markings on the drivers side like they used to have on WWII fighter aircraft. Excursions would obviously get more than a mere Touareg, but a 3.2L V6 ought to be worth something... :-)
  • Options
    I've had my 2001.5 (2002) Passat for slightly over a year. It is not the V6 but the 1.8T with Tip. I have 11,000 miles and have had absolutely no electrical or other problems. Car is still as tight and rattle-free as when I got it. It is indeed a bargain compared to other German-made cars.
  • Options
    iamwhoamiamwhoam Member Posts: 23
    I was waiting for traffic to clear to pullout of a strip mall and a 2002 MB 500SL and a 2002 Passat, both black, were driving side by side. It was kind of interesting since there almost seems to be a weird family resemblence. I think it was the color mostly, but it was more where the chrome trim pieces were. Really kind of weird. I know VW is gunning for MB now, and I wonder how much of that similar feel was engineered in.
  • Options
    Well, the Passat is certainly made in the Teutonic manner as is the MB. Very handsome, extremely well-built with a fit and finish better then most. Color pallette, as you state, seems similar. But the MB is more expensive and a lot fancier inside. I think the Phaeton is where VW is aiming towards MB and the Audi towards BMW. I wish I could afford an MB, but my Passat ain't chopped liver!
  • Options
    deerlake7deerlake7 Member Posts: 176
    I'm ready to turn over 10,000 miles on my 2002 GLS V6 and have had no problems of any kind. This is my second GLS V6 (the first being a 2000) and they have both been terrific cars. If you're looking at going the tiptronic route, I would definitely recommend the V6.
  • Options
    '99 GLS

Ok, maybe not the sky, but my protection pan or whatever you call it (the piece right behind the front bumper that protects the front end) fell part way off. I was driving to an appt. and I hear this scraping sound as I pull into the parking lot. At first I thought I had a flat, so I get out and look at the tires to find they were all fine. So I'm sitting at my appt. and I look out where I was more eye level with the underneath of the car, and I notice something hanging down. I said a few swear words and went out to see what it was. I took it to the closest garage and the guy there was nice enough to put a piece of wire on each side where the clips had broke off. He says it should hold, but I wonder if I should get new clips or better yet a new piece.

Has anyone had any trouble with that part coming off?

I was told by a classmate who works in the parts dept. at a Audi, BMW, VW dealer that people always rip them off without ever knowing exactly what happened. I certainly couldn't think of how it happened to me. I am used to driving low to the ground cars, so I'm usually real careful.

And then there's......

The material on the front seat backs (on the sides of the lumbar part) seem to come out as if they were cut too short and then stuffed behind the middle piece. When someone sits there, the material pops out. I can put my hand behind the piece of seat that covers the back. Anyone else notice that?

I also noticed a new scrape on the plastic part of the front bumper on the right side. UGH! I hate not knowing how these things happen. I'm the only one driving the car. I did notice a full hand print on my hood, so I'm wondering if while I was parked somewhere that someone came too close to the car, scraped it, and came over to inspect it to see if there was damage. Then put his hand on the hood, and leaned down to check the front. But that's just a far fetched guess.

Just call me Columbo <:)
  • Options
    jbstljbstl Member Posts: 5
    Posted this on the prixing board, but this gets board has more postings and action....

Think that VW may be offering dealers some $$ incentives to move cars. Was offered to buy 2 cars at 2 dealers at slightly BELOW invoice (brand new) 1st - GLS, 1.8T (auto), lux, leather,monsoon,CWP,homelink, - prix offered was
    $24,866 delivered (excluding T,T,L)but including the doc fees. 2nd offer was same w/out leather was
    offered $23,250??
    Can anyone confirm the dealer $$ and if so how much... They're not even adding any "advertising"
    $$ to this??
    just last month, the best prix received here was
    $500 over edmunds invoice.
    both still offered the low % financing as well..
  • Options
    Nothing published a/o this morning...Typically
    Programs ALWAYS begin at the 1st of the month...
    not the 8th...
  • Options
    kennrskennrs Member Posts: 7
    I'm thinking of getting a Passat wagon later in the year, and am hoping you current owners could answer a question for me before I go in for a test drive. When using a bi-level heat setting (floor and face vents), is the air coming out of the face vents significantly cooler than the air coming out of the floor vents? I remember reading in an early review of the current model that they were the same temperature. I hope that isn't the case, because to be comfortable I usually need a little cool air to the face when using the heater, and don't want to have to crack a window open to get it. Most cars will give you slightly cooler but, to me, still too warm air from the face vents in the bilevel setting, but European cars I've driven (BMW and Volvo) have gotten it right. Also, I'd like to know if you have the automatic or manual climate control (if that makes a difference). I will probably end up with the automatic climate control, since I want the GLX to get the power seat. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    library1library1 Member Posts: 54
    Wife and I just went to a VW dealer (open on Sunday!) and were offered a GLS with auto and Monsoon (only options) for 21,500 inc. shipping. $400 below invoice price. They want us to purchase by 8pm on Monday 10th. Pressure!
  • Options
    mitzvahmitzvah Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2000 Passat 4 cylinder sedan with 31K miles. There have been no problems, expect for a Halloween sound effect groan from the suspension system when weather changes from hot to cold or visa versa.
    My son-in law owned same car, expect for CD player (his is in dash). However he needed two parts of his former Passat's emission control system replaced to the tune of $1,000 tp $1,200. The car had about 60k on it when the emission control parts were replaced.
    Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    Two facts may be important: My son-in-law commutes about 200 to 250 miles a day to work and lives in Connecticut where he drives on I-95. Wonder if the level of air pollution or type of gas he put in the car had anything to do with his problem.
    My son-in-law now drives a Toyota Avalon. Thanks
    Mark in North Carolina