Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Nissan Maxima

Comments

• djp2cdjp2c Posts: 39
    Sorry for not putting in the page you need to go to.

It is as follows:

www.nissannews.com

Good Luck.

But look at those damned black and white gauges
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    Thanks for the URL for nissannews. They indicate pricing info to be released soon. Has anyone seen anything on pricing elsewhere??

As for black on white guages, I've been driving with them on a 95 SE for 109,000 miles and I guess I've gotten used to them. Perhaps not as good looking as some European alternatives, but they beat the standard white on black used in many cars.

Personally, I'm dissapointed that a car as good looking as a BMW 5 series has a relatively unattractive "cockpit" (i.e. dash/instrumentation/radio/console design. I think they could take an aesthetic que from the Mercedes CLK. Guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
  • tonyred2tonyred2 Posts: 8
    I own a 1997 Maxima SE with 46,000 miles. I purchased the car new and it came with TOYO Tires that have begun to crack and show signs of wear.

My mechanic (who doesn't sell tires) suggested that I replace these tires within the next 5,000 miles.

Does anyone have any suggestions for what type of tires I should purchase?
    Brand?
    Size?
    Type?

I am from Chicago, IL and need a tire that can handle highway driving, and some tough winter roads.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions. You can E-Mail me at [email protected]
  • robertrrobertr Posts: 125
    I have about 19,000 miles on my Bridgestone RE92 Potenza 225/50 R17" all-season performance tires. Last week I was driving on the expressway in very heavy rain and had to hold my speed down in comparison to some other traffic because I was experiencing hydroplaning (however, maybe the other drivers were too but were too clueless to notice it).

The tires seem to have plenty of tread left, in contrast to the concerns of some posters last year who thought the tires would wear out in 20,000 miles. I'm curious to know what others are experiencing with tread wear and in heavy rain where it rains too hard and fast for the water to run off the road. Has anybody needed to replace these yet, and at what mileage?
  • dklaneckydklanecky Posts: 559
    I have 60,000 miles on my 2000 SE with the same size tires and wheels (original equipment).

I drive 95% highway miles and I also put on dedicated snow tires last winter for about 10,000 of the 60,000 total.

Mine are getting a "little slippery" in the rain recently (especially out of toll booths). I had just assumed it was due to overheated rubber getting hard over time. I took delivery of the car on November 12, 1999.

I also am interested in what people are using for replacements on the 17" wheels and what their general level of satisfaction has been?
  • yaoxyaox Posts: 14
    Recently I found that my 2001 maxima will make some "croak" noise when I use brake at low speed or turn. Any sugguestion will be appreciated.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,703
    I haven't had that problem in a long time, but assuming all your parts are functioning properly (check them carefully) and if it is just brake pad groan/squeak, sometimes you can spray a chemical called "disc brake quiet" and eliminate the noise...I used to sell it when I sold parts years ago, I am sure that Pep Boys, AutoZone, etc. will have something similar or identical...let us know what happens...
  • norbert444norbert444 Posts: 195
    I recently noticed that my driver seat (or seat back, I am not sure) started to creak when I move in it. Does anyone have any remedy for that? It sure spoils the Bose sound ;-)
    thanks ... Norbert
  • gooniesgoonies Posts: 24
    i had the same problem, it would "croak" when i made slow turns. take it to the dealer. its a suspension problem. something is "binding" or rubbing against its each other and it shouldn't.
  • gadmangadman Posts: 1
    norbert444,

I also have a similar problem on my 00' SE. I spent a little time investigating, and it seems to be coming from the seat belt latch to the right of the driver, and the long connecting piece attached to it that goes down the right side of the seat to anchor the latch. This piece is not 100% fixed in place (i.e. it has a little "play" to it to account for movement of the seatbelt). But, when it moves (which is almost any time I move), it seems to be causing a creaking noise, at least in my car. I'm going to have it checked out at my next service. It's not dangerous, but very annoying.
  • ludacrisludacris Posts: 185
    recently my dads 2k GLE started making a grinding sound whenever he hits the brakes, im not sure if its similar to yaox's problem but its pretty annoying. even when not breaking and just cruising on the freeway a grinding sound can still be heard? is it the same problem as yaox?
  • frankmax1frankmax1 Posts: 4
    i recently purchased a new 2001 maxima se 5-spd with a small scratch on the left, rear quarter panel. my sales person and sales manager both said the scratch would easily be removed with a minor buffing. after bringing my car to the body shop, the area where the scratch was now had a white smudge. i spoke with the shop manager and he said he could get rid of that spot by wet-waxing the area. when the shop manager returned he said that he made the spot worse. now there was a large white spot where the paint had been removed and there were some smaller scratches. the shop manager said he would have to repaint the quarter panel. my concern is that if the paint even initially matches how long until it fades? he says it is a state of the art paint facility. does anyone have experience with this? should i have them give me a new car? should i just cancel the whole deal? help!!!
  • habitat1habitat1 Posts: 4,282
    My 2 cents -- Cancel the deal / Get a new car.

I feel very fortunate in that I have logged 109,000 miles on my Maxima and not so much as a bumper bender. I was not so lucky with a previous Toyota Supra and Acura Legend. No matter how good their "state of the art" paint facility is, there is no way they can paint a panel and duplicate the factory finishing process. A buddy in my office who has restored a couple of Porsches and Mercedes agrees, you're likely to notice a difference within a year or two.

This is no way to start off with a new car. If you can, get out of the deal. Good luck.
  • norbert444norbert444 Posts: 195
    thanks, guys. I will check the seat belt anchor. Maybe a little silicon spray would fix it where it rubs. I want to get rid of that old-chair sound soon.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Did the car have the scratch before you bought it, or was it there when you picked it up?
  • amazing2uamazing2u Posts: 67
    Just out: small article 'bout the 2002 Max.

http://auto123.sympatico.ca/roadtest/20010628.shtml

The Nissan Maxima made it onto Autoweeks "Americas Best Asian Cars" list. It was a survey from subscribers and it was at number 4. Beating the 02 Q45 and LS430...but behind the Accord, S2000 and CAMRY?!? lol...Out of all the family sedans the surveyed called the Taurus the best family sedan -_- ...maybe the best if you want to take ur Ford to the service dept. every other week.
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,703
    front end parts rubbing, you have your work cut out for you...I neglected to mention possible front end rub, thanks to the poster who mentioned the obvious that I should have mentioned
  • frankmax1frankmax1 Posts: 4
    the car had some hideous dealer installed pin stripes which they agreed to remove. apparently a razor blade scratched the car when they removed the pin stripes. the scratch was so small it was hardly noticeable but my sales person and the sales manager said a slight buffing would take the scratch out with no ill affects. so to answer your question, the scratch was not there when i bought the car but showed up when i took delivery.
  • berbelberbel Posts: 167
    Thanx for posting the article on the 2002 Max. What
    I did find to be a little curious, though, was the
    fact that the article was characterized as a "road
    test" but all they did was describe the car and the
    new features it has. Did I miss something?

Thanx/Berbel
  • amazing2uamazing2u Posts: 67
    Yes, sorry about that. I did not read the whole article before posting a message. I hope they will change it today since the Driving Impressions that was Embargoed will be lifted.

Amazing2u
  • leonivleoniv Posts: 120
    Can anyone tell me if $178 after tax is a good price for an 01 maxima nose mask and black rubber splash guards (are the painted guards better)? I purchased a black 01 max about a month ago, but forgot to buy the nose mask and splash guards to protect the "flakey" black paint. The above quote was "wholesale" according to the parts guy at the dealership. I got info for a LeBra here, but the price for that was >$80 after shipping. I'd rather spend a few dollars more and have it in hand when I put my money down.

On a different subject, 2 weeks after purchasing my 01 max, some idiot rolled into my rear at a red light. The damage was minimal, but I took it into the shop anyway (especially since it only had 500 mi. on it!) . The guy at the body shop was so surprised at how the paint was chipping off, he was unable to repaint the bumper cover and had to buy a new one. What was Nissan thinking with this sorry black paint? I've seen other posts here about this black paint. Other than the poor quality of the black paint, (I don't want to even think about the long term durability of this paint) the car's great =)

Leon
    black 01 max GXE w/conv pack.
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Major headache. I would have refused delivery, but then again when you are just about to take delivery you are probably a bit weak (ie. ya want the car). Keep fighting until you are satisfied! Let us know what happens.
    Last weekend I have a long trip, which is about 1400 miles. My 01 Maxima GXE Automatic has about 27.3 MPG (91 gas) with A/C on at average speed of 70 MPH.

By the way, thanks for the suggestions of brake noise. Next monday I will bring car to dealership. I will report the result at that time.
    Do you guys notice there is a little noise when open and close the door? I find the noise is caused by friction of door seal rubber and steel surface. Any suggestion to solve this problem? Thanks.
  • robertrrobertr Posts: 125
    Mine makes a squeaking, squishing sound when I open and close the door in certain temperature and moisture conditions. I really like my 2000 SE, but one of the few annoyances I have is that Nissan cheapened the door seals compared to the 1997 SE I had which I think had triple seals. Also, the way the 2000 seals are designed, they accumulate crud in them which is a nuisance to clean out. I hope the 2003 Maxima improves on this.
  • carpevinocarpevino Posts: 24
    I just found this board and was wondering if there has been any comments regarding black cars spotting and flaking. I brought it to the attention of my dealer twice and they have yet to call in a factory rep. I also noticed it on cars in the dealer's lot.
    I'm thinking of trading it in and when the used car rep went to examine the car the first thing he did was was look at the hood. Seemed funny to me.

This has been noticeable since the first month I owned the car.

Thanks for any input.
  • jimxojimxo Posts: 423
    Purchased in Aug 99 a 2000, no problems yet. My A/C has been a "C" so far, otherwise I love this car.

Keep up the pressure on the Nissan Rep.
    im still wondering why the paint problem is only affecting the super black maxes. my pearl white's paint has been flawless for nearly a year now (purchased in august). and yes im knocking on wood rite now...
  • gnlgnl Posts: 94
    Seems to be the dark colors in general. Someone was complaining about paint on a Sherwood Green. Mine is Satin Blue Pearl, and still looks fine after a year, with the exception of one scratch that someone deliberately did to it.