Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    rc52rc52 Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone got suggestions/experience on this? I'd like to get a little more oomph and get a deeper V8-ish sound if possible.
  • Options
    ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    george92-

On my '98 Intrigue, the rotor warping problem was solved by replacing them. I was told the dealer installed rotors specified for a '99 Intrigue. vcjumper may be right that with the Autobahn package uses some improper materials that caused them to warp. (Is there really a size difference between the Autobahn rotors and those of other Intrigues?)

I had my steering shaft lubricated last week using the GM fix. So far I am quick impressed, the steering is much better, nice and smooth with excellent road feel. I hope it lasts...
  • Options
    george92george92 Member Posts: 34
    to vajumper,thanks for your input.However in 1999 & 2000 I read a large number of posts on this site saying that they had problems with warped rotors and none of them had the autobahn brakes. This was a problem all GM models the same size as the intrigue had with rotors/pads. I still havent been able to find out if any corrections were done on the 2001 2002.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    GM admitted to the 12" autobahn brake problem on the 98's but I don't recall them saying anything about the 11" ones. They don't exactly have a good track record with rotors, though I haven't seen many posts here about rotor problems recently aside from a couple posters. Check the GP and Regal forums too since they are the same parts.

The major common problems with the Intrigue that are not fixed yet are flickering headlights (symptom of bad alternator design), and bad steering shafts. GM knows the ISS's are a problem but is not fixing them, just lubing them - this is pretty pathetic IMO as it is a temporary fix and the idea of steering gear being removed and reinstalled several times over the life of a car is a potential safety hazard. Ofcourse once out of warranty, this lube job will cost $$. GM is clueless or doesn't care about losing repear buyers enough to fix the flickering headlight problem. Ofcourse once it starts happening out of warranty for people, it will be a cash cow for GM and the dealer service bays. They make more money this way than through selling Intrigues.

I've been lucky and have had none of those problems with my 99 so far.
  • Options
    BEDunlapBEDunlap Member Posts: 2
    Been a long time since I last posted.

We have a base model '98 Intrigue with a
    lot of upgrades (not the autobahn brake
    package though). We have the 3.8L engine
    in our Intrigue.

Anyway, the car runs great. We crossed over
    42,000 miles this weekend doing a long
    distance trip to and from Salt Lake City.

Problems we had were limited to window motors.
    So far we have replaced three of them and do
    not expect the fourth one to last until we are
    done with this car.

Other than that it is just standard maintenance.
    Our '98 is comfortable and reliable for us.
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    You are the second person to confirm that the suspension has been softened since the Intrigue was released. I personally like it a little firmer myself. I can understand why you would want the same coming out of a Grand Am. With the 5/60 warranty, I think you'll be fine, especially since you plan on keeping it a long time. I'm on my second Intrigue and I've been pleased.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Do you feel that the suspension is softer than your '98 was?
    Does the car take small bumps better than the earlier models?
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Definitely! It feels more "cushy" than my '98. Not like a Buick. But definitely softer. Smaller bumps are less noticeable. It kinda feels like it wants to be a bigger car but is still a teenager :-) It has lost that European firmness in favor of a more Detroit feel. It doesn't feel as "nailed down" as the '98 and '99 which, IMO, takes away from that riding-on-rails feel I remember. I thought (and it still might be valid) that this was due to the 3800 weighing more than the 3.5. With that reduced weight off the front wheels, I suspected that contributed to the effect.
  • Options
    oscarz2oscarz2 Member Posts: 153
    Sorry for not responding sooner. Just got back online. "Jounce" is the term describing strut compression (when you hit a bump). "Rebound" is when it springs back. Jounce bumper is a stopper that prevents metal to metal contact between strut and whatever it's not supposed to hit at the end of it's travel. From what I understand, the Intrigue's was designed differently and is sometimes prone to act up, meaning instead of the strut rod moving freely inside the jounce bump device, it catches, causing friction, hence, the springy noise.

It took the mechanics quite a while to pinpoint the springy clanking noise but they finally did and it was the jounce bumper on right side. This was over a year ago, and I've had this lube a couple of times. It's been a while since I've had the noise so maybe it's gone for good.

I have a 99 with 20K. Had ISS replaced at about 14K. Brakes are excellent, although it's still early. Definitely recommend strut tower braces (both). I used to hate my rides feel. Now I like it. Handling is much better too.

Had alternator replaced twice but the dimming problem has not resurfaced (knock on wood) since a year or so ago. Don't pay attention to part# for alternator. The dimming problem has occured on all of them.
  • Options
    msw13msw13 Member Posts: 51
    Hi All,
    Well, here is the update on the Anti-Lock and Brake light illumination, the dealer pulled codes were 1246 & 1284, the
    diagnostic showed the ABS motor was bad...parts and labor
    were ~$375...$76/hr labor @ 3 Hrs. and $147 for the dealer
    cost of the motor (Buddy):). Retail part cost was $270.
    The ABS self diagnostic (Yatzee can rattle)is much less pronounced.
    Oh well, lets hope it was a fluke failure.
  • Options
    to oscarz2. Thanks for your reply. It sounds reasonable. Do you think it does any damage to the strut? Check out vcjumpers comments on this subject he tends to believe its ABS making the noise due to some readjustment due to hitting the bump and pressing down on the brake at the same the. He has a recent posting on one of these sites regarding this problem. What is this Im hearing about the headlight dimming problem and how would I know if IM having this problem. I dont drive much at night. I find that when I post a problem, I get different replys at to what the problem is. and then I back where I started. By the way What are strut tower braces and whats the cost. MY ride is OK but the bumps are hard.
  • Options
    To msw13. Hi just read your post. Please let me know what was your problem with the ABS/symptoms.
  • Options
    to oscarz2. I rethought my problem. My springing noise only happens when I am breaking and going over a bump at the same time. I dont hear the noise when I go over the bump and I am not breaking. Therefore its not a strut issue.
  • Options
    Fitting the STB Monday morning then heading to the T.O. auto show. Hopefully will go well, I'll post result/pictures here.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    It's not uncommon for a low speed bump with the brakes on to trigger the ABS. The wheel speed sensor thinks a wheel stopped turning and dumps the pressure.
  • Options
    Thanks Imacmil. And would add on the end of your input that as a result you get a springing/buzzing noise that last serveral seconds and its considered normal. Im not trying toput words in your mouth. But what happens when a sensor dumps the pressure.
  • Options
    To vc jumper. I just wanted to say. 2 years ago I finally got a chance to go to your beautiful country with my wife. We stayed over in Montreal in a great hotel and then drove down to Quebec.
    Quebec was awesome. If I was rich I would love to spend the summer up there every year. Its not far from New York. And our dollar is worth $1.50 up there. Good luck with your intrigue.
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Like to meet you up on Monday to take a closer look at the front STB if possible?
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    It feels like a normal ABS event, i.e., you feel the pedal pulsate briefly. The buzzing is the ABS motor/pump.

I'll 2nd your vote on Canada. We have been to Toronto 4 times, Montreal and Vancouver once. They are wonderful cities and the Canadian people are wonderful hosts.
  • Options
    to imacmil, Thanks for the confirmation. Now I can move on feeling normal. It really is a lousy noise it sounds like springs are loose, I guess its because its the first car I had with antilock.
    Glad to hear you liked canada so much. I was a little embarrased to even mentioned that it took me this long to get there. You get a little bit of europe/paris for $1.50 to a dollar cant beat it. Thanks for allowing me to move on.
  • Options
    Thanks for the Canada compliments. Indeed it is a nice time to visit (ok wait till the summer!) Canada with our weak dollar right now, you can get more than $1.50.

Focus, I will be off to the autoshow after I get the STB fitted, and then I have plans that evening. I'll try to post pictures here ASAP (assuming they can finish it Monday, it is only my second visit). Let me know after that if you still want to see it in person.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    Echoing vcjumper: just about any American is rich in Canada right now with our pathetically low dollar. A $100/night hotel room costs you $50US. A nice $25 entree in a good restaurant is $12.50 to you. There are incredible bargains to be had if you're paying in US dollars. Even our overtaxed gasoline isn't so bad with the exchange rate these days.

Shameless plug: I agree, the big cities are great. But if you already live in a big US city, come to where I live: Nova Scotia. Great scenery, friendly people, and a surprisingly cosmopolitan city (Halifax) with history all the way back to the mid-1700s and a much more laid-back pace than a bigger spot. Best months to visit are July through September but mid-May through June and into early October can also be nice, though less predictable.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    ab348, you've got me sold. Sounds beautiful. Unfortunately, Nova Scotia is clear on the other side of the continent from me. I'd like to get to Victoria and Vancouver again soon though. How about that pairs figure skating outcome? It's outrageous but I've been pleased with how gracious the canadian pair has been.

They have a lot of GM, specifically Chevy vehicles shutting the big wigs around here during the Olympics. Some have speculated that they will want to dump them all after the games are over leading to huge discounts on Trailblazers etc with only 5-10K miles on em. It'll be interesting to see if that pans out here.

Hope you're all watching some of the games. I've attended a few events and have loved every minute. The freeway between here in Salt Lake and Park City (where many of the events are) has a steep incline called Parley's and my Intrigue sure sails up.
  • Options
    To ab348. Yes your are right. nova scotia/halifax is a great place. I think a lot of people overlook it. I was there about 8 years ago. The only thing I didn't like was the overnite ship crossing. We were on a motor coach tour. and they put us in a tiny room on the bottom of the ship right over an engine. I had to go up to the lounge and sleep sitting up on a sofa. Otherwise I have good memories.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    The exchange rate is not quite that good. Current rate is about $0.63 for C$1. Bank will probably charge you 64-65 cents.
  • Options
    Math was never my strong suit so I recalculated the numbers. Dindak is correct but the numbers are still a tremendous incentive. That $25 entree I mentioned actually costs you a little over $15 US, not $12.50. So, skip the second glass of wine and come anyway... :)

George92, I hate ships and your experience is partly why. I think if I was coming here I'd fly in and rent a car to see the sights on my own.

• Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Saw the Intrigue Final 500 model at the Chicago Auto show. Looked great, makes me want them 17 inch rims. Loved the logo sewn into the seats too. Nevertheless, while Pontiac was swampped (G-force, the next GP mostly, looks good), the Olds area, esp. Intrigue had no one.
    Sad...

On another note, read the following article on a major engine issue with Toyota. Goes to show
    those who push the Japanese maker reliability myth that its just that, a myth:
  • Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Sorry, in my last post, left off the article link,
    My post must have got that Toyota reliability bug, anyways, the article is at www.autoweek.com
  • Options
    Toyota has more than it's share of problems with the recent RAV-4 and Sequoia. They make good cars (among the best) but they are not perfect either. Hope to see the new Pontiacs on Friday at the Toronto show. We may be looking at the Vibe as our replacement for the leased Cavalier. Hopefully the Toy engine in that car is ok.
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    Anyone have any pics of the Final 500 Intrigue from the Chicagoautoshow???

Are they going to be selling it? Anyone know the price??
  • Options
    Yes I also would like to more about the 500 intrigue. I went on the chicago auto show site. they didnt even mention olds.
  • Options
    Since the Intrigue only has a few months left, I would doubt they will spend the cash to develop this into production. I doubt they want to celebrate the car with a special final edition, being the sales failure it was. Lets face it if the Intrigue sold double what it did, Olds might not have got the axe.
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The 1994-96 Impala SS did not have the rear 3 tailight treatment and no one ever complained about that.

So why this has become such a silly issue with the current Impala?
  • Options
    Just looking for facts...not opinions...THANKS!!!
  • Options
    Unfortunately, I did not have time to see all of the show, but what I did see was good. Only one Intrigue on display, a gray GX. Didn't see one person looking at it (though the show was 1/2 hour from closing and is was very quiet). The Aleros were still getting attention and the Bravada was getting a lot of attention. Most popular GM vehicles at the show when I was there were the Vibe, Trailblazer/Envoy, Rendezvous, CTS and surprisingly the new Azteks.

Picked up an Oldsmobile catalog as this will be the last one with the complete line up of cars. Nice collector piece for free.

I have to admit those new BMW Minis are very cool little cars. Unfortunately they cost too much and are in limited supply so I doubt they won't be the big volume hit the Beetle or PT Cruiser were.
  • Options
    Anyone going to the Toronto show should fill out a GMAC credit application there. If approved, you will receive a 1% discount coupon on the financing rate of your next car on top of any other deals. It's good for 3 months. Our lease is up in July, but I may try and work something out if we can get the 1% discount.

BTW. 0% is the floor so if it's already there, you won't get more.
  • Options
    Autosite.com finally has the january sales figures up and the intrigue is really off.
    Only 928 cars sold in January vs. 3500 last year.
    At that rate they might have some engines left over.
  • Options
    wbhallwbhall Member Posts: 39
    The 1994-96 Impala SS did not have the rear 3 tailight treatment and no one ever complained about that. So why this has become such a silly issue with the current Impala?

Silly? No. Question? Yes.
    A lot of my Chevy friends have also wondered the same question even back in 94-96. It just a nastalga thing that's all with all the retro cars coming out to remind you of older cars of yesterday like the t-bird. I am into classic cars and just thought it was a good question. Currently I have a 71 Chevelle SS 454 and before that I had a 63 Chevy Impala SS 409 and yes, it had the 3 tail lights! LOL
  • Options
    Aurora sales are also down 80% from last year. Bravada sales steady below Aztec and Isuzu Rodeo levels. Time to stick a fork in Olds...
  • Options
    tboomtboom Member Posts: 8
    Was at the Syracuse car show last weekend and talked to the Olds reps there about the intrigue. He told me about the Final 500 and to check it out at the GM web site for pictures and more info.

http://www.gm.com/company/gm_exp_live/events/NAIAS2002/oldsmobile/index.html

Basically they are only making 500 Intrigues. The color is Dark Cherry, similiar to the 40th anniversary Pontiac Grand Prix. It will also have 17 inch wheels and special 500 badging inside and out. The engine will be the same 3.5V6. Olds rep said that since there are about 3100 olds dealers and only 500 Final 500 intrigues to be made, not every dealership will get one. And if anyone wanted one they should contact their dealer now. Expect production to begin in April/May.

Right now I'm torn between the Intrigue and Maxima. I like the interior of the Max better but the Intrigue seems to ride smoother. The pewter leather in the Intrigue is just too light in color for my taste. Anyone care to weigh in and try to sway me more towards the Intrigue?

• Options
    Anyone have an idea how much the 500 will selling for.

From the looks of the recent posts it looks like the 2002 isnt selling to good. Wait a while and you should be able to get them dirt cheap.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    The 94-96 Impala SS may not have had 3 taillamps either, but it had once heck of a V8 engine. I bet if the current Impala was RWD with a V8, no one would care if it had only one taillight.

vcjumper, those sales numbers are pathetic. Maybe GM should just cut their losses and ditch the brand after 02. Unless the Aurora V8 is priced WAY down next year, there will be too much of a price gap between the Alero and Aurora V8. Sad to see the brand go, but I'd rather Olds be shelved quickly rather than die a slow painful death.

tboom, I haven't priced Maxis lately, but from what I've heard Nissan is discounting them heavily right now. Biggest advantage with the Max is one can get a 6 speed with the V6. If your going the slushbox route, there is no real advantage over an Intrigue. In fact the Intrigue offers an excellent stability control system(PCS) that Nissan does not offer. So I guess they each have one up on each other. The Max's interior is more avant garde, the Intrigue's is simply functional. One negative in my book on the Nissan is its beam axle rear suspension. This is probably why it did not ride as smooth as the Intrigue. I have an Intrigue so I guess I'm partial to it, but it is a hard value to beat right now with all the discounts and the long warranty. Good luck.
  • Options
    codog1codog1 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 98 Intrigue w/ 115k miles. None of the power window switches work at the individual doors, only from the drivers door control panel.

Obviosuly there must be a problem with the "lock" switch, but no matter which position it is in, they won't work.

Anyone else experience the same thing, or any suggests on how I may fix the problem?
  • Options
    codog1codog1 Member Posts: 12
    Another post on my 98 Intrigue GL (115k). I get a slight "creaking" or "crunching" sound from the right front wheel when go over bumps.

I took it to Sears, they said the bearings, tire (or is it "tie") rods were both fine. However they said it needed a "strut mount". The cost was about $80, plus 1/2 hr labor and an alignment. They said this item was a dealer item, and since it was a Sunday, I'd have to come back.

Has anyone had this problem? Does this seem like the correct repair? The service agent didn't really seem to confident in his diagnosis.

thanks
  • Options
    codog1, I think you get the prize for the most "experienced" intrigue.
    Tell us about your car and if you have head any other problems with it?
    Transmission, ISS, window motors, etc.
  • Options
    Sad to see Olds die like this, but what do they expect? There is no marketing on these cars at all anymore. I have not seen any Olds advertising (print or TV) for months. I think the only car in the line up that is still selling is the Alero. Here in Ontario they are selling them with a bonus upgrade package which is quite attractive.

Intrigue has 0.9% lease rate now but with a 40% residual after 4 years, the payments don't seem that great.
  • Options
    Indeed still seems to sell pretty well, at about a 66% clip of the Grand Am. It is definitely the nicest N-body but then the Malibu is roomier. I've driven a new Sebring Sedan v6 and those are quite nice at just a few more $$ (same handling but quieter and smoother I thought).

If you are paying cash, Intrigue GLS's can be had for $28K canadian + freight + tax. My father is considering buying one paying cash but the fact that he only keeps cars about 5 years, it will probably only be worth 8K CAD in trade at that time.
  • Options
    I think any interior in gray looks lousy. I sat in a black Intrigue with the gray ("pewter") interior and it felt like prison.

I think the dark cherry with the beige ("neutral", what an awful name) would look very cool.

• Options
    You said 40% residual after 4 years...HA

Try 38% after 3

It's a crying shame
  • Options
    And about 50% after 1 year.