Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Sears may have the proper diagnosis.. From other's experiences on this board, the dealers won't have a better idea anyways.

Are you still on your original struts and springs at 115K??
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Well, GM Canada is offering 40% after a 4 year lease. I didn't make the number up and I didn't say GMAC was using an accurate number. Also keep in mind no one pays anywhere close to list for an Intrigue so residual to cost is closer to 50%.

--------------

vcjumper : Reason I'm considering the Alero is the C$2000 Olds CR I have sitting with GM. Leasing an Alero GX would be a real bargain and that new Ecotec is a nice engine.
  • Options
    swagledswagled Member Posts: 195
    I was just curious how the scrapyard market is shaping up. If you go onto www.car-part.com and search for Intrigue parts, there are plenty of them.

Usually it takes a few years for a model to make it into the junk yards, but apparently there are already quite a few 98-99 'trigues that have been bashed!

Interestingly, you can even order the heated mirrors pulled from 1998 'trigues. I wonder if there's any way to hook them up to the later models? Assumedly, the wiring isn't in the dash any more.
  • Options
    one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    My old Intrigue is probably on there :-)
  • Options
    You've got me beat!

From what you've described, it doesn't sound like your Intrigue has cost a lot beyond the warranty if the only things that have happened are the window lock and strut mount. I'll bet the engine is still purring like a kitten.
  • Options
    I've kicked this past my wife and she's on board with it. It's good when you're wife is on board with expensive mods :-)

I'm thinking about creating my own "Final 500" after I'm finished paying for it and the warranty runs out. There are a couple of engine shops I know of that would probably jump at my proposition.

I want to stuff an Aurora V-8 into my Intrigue. There will probably be a lot of things that will need to be changed-- transmission, stronger engine mounts, exhaust... the list can go on and on.

Then, I'll put on the 17" rims and probably slap on the ground effects which, for the Intrigue, is conservative. It wouldn't look like a Grand Prix.

Since it will probably cost a small fortune, that's one of the reasons I'm going to wait to do it. With the money I'll be saving from not having a car payment, I should be able to save up to get it done.

OK. Time to wake up :-)
  • Options
    ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    ...you just described the stillborn OSV version from the last SEMA show.
  • Options
    fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    I am new to this board but I need some information from Oldsmobile Aurora or Intrigue owners of late model years. I am considering these two along with Lexus ES300, Buick Regal, Acura TL, Infiniti, and Toyota Camry. I have owned imports in the past and am very leary of going back to American cars because of the question of dependability. I would like some imput from late model Aurora owners(new style) and Intrigue owners concerning the dependability or lack-there-of in their cars. I would like gas mileage figures concerning the 3.5l engine. I also would like to know what the RPM figure is on the 3.5l engine at 70mph. I have also heard that one cannot change the battery without taking several other things apart first. Is this true?
  • Options
    Although it's a "new" engine, it seems to be pretty rugged. We don't seem to have experienced the teething problems with it that Ford owners did with their new V8s.

The 3.5 at 70MPH in a non-PCS car is about 1900 to 2000 RPM. A little low-ish, if you ask me. If I had to do it over, I'd get a PCS Intrigue.

Gas milage is pretty good for a high performance V6 in a heavy car. I've gotten 32MPG on level ground with the cruise control. (But that's not usually the way I drive my Intrigue, and my gas milage tends to be less!) :=)
  • Options
    For those of you waiting for the result of the custom Intrigue STB, it is not quite ready.. They are pretty much done but have to paint it and finish the angle so it clears the PS lines.. Should have it in a week's time.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Mine non-PCS 3.5 Intrigue turns about 2100 at 70 mph. On a 1500 round trip from Indiana to NYC (which takes you from flatlands to the mountains for all 300 miles of Pennsylvania), I averaged exactly 30 mpg and generally had the cruise set on 76-77.
  • Options
    codog1codog1 Member Posts: 12
    Since some of you asked, I bought my Intrigue w/ 90k miles on it in April of 2000 from my father-in-law. He has a sales job and puts 50k highway miles a year on his cars and gets a new one every two years.

The car still runs & rides great w/ 115k. The tranny still shifts smoothly, engine doesn't burn any oil. Most of the problems I've had are more "quirky" repairs. I don't believe my father-in-law had any non-scheduled maitenance repairs done to the car while he had it.

- brakes wobble when applied at high speeds
    - power steering occasionaly "skips" (typ. for this car, though it is so minor a can't justify spending the $900 to fix it)
    - weather stripping from both rear windows came down when I opened the windows
    - water leak passenger side foot well
    - battery replaced
    - power windows only work from drivers door control panel
    - tensioner pully for the accesory belt siezed
    - o2 sensor

Overall, a great car for what I paid ($5,000). Hope to get at least 200k miles out of of the 3.8l engine.
  • Options
    djr222djr222 Member Posts: 3
    Anybody had any success buying their Intrigue from GMAC at the end of the lease for less than the agreed upon amount? The residual on my heavily subsidized (3yr, 59%residual!!) 99GL(loaded, 36K miles) lease is $15.9K!!! If they are going at auctions for $8-9K, I was thinking of offering $8K, and working up from there. My lease is up in May, so I do have a few months to haggle. I don't think I would go much above 8500-8800, however.
    btw, I've had the usual Intrigue issues: needed 12K crank sensor, 16K tranny rebuild(burned up O/d clutch), 20K ISS, a p/w motor at 29K, and now a bit of a flicker at high rpm shifts at 32K (I'll have to get that on record before warranty is up, in case I buy.)
  • Options
    jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    Looks like we may finally get some action on the problem. We had our alternator replaced again and have seen the flicker 3 times. Our problem is that we do little night driving. This was on the NHTSA Board this morning: NHTSA Action Number: PE02005 Defect Investigation opened 2-18-02!!!
  • Options
    mbergmberg Member Posts: 8
    Well I took the plunge and bought a 2002 Bronze Mist GL w/ PCS, Sun & Sound, premium leather, and rear spolier. Hopefully I won't be making any posts regarding problems with this car. I've been very gentle with it so far but I just had to see what it could do on the highway. Now I know what you mean by "the launch" when you gun it. It rides great and the Bose stereo is a huge improvement over the standard stereo that was in my 93 4dr 4cyl GrandAm.
  • Options
    http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/ivoq/default.htm

(Just in case anyone wants to take another swipe!)

Congrats on the new Intrigue, mberg. Not everyone has the headlight problem. But don't be too surprised if you get it. (I knew about the complaints before I test drove an Intrigue, but I bought one anyway.)

• Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Congratulations on your intrigue!
    Wait till you get about 500-1000 miles on it and then drop the hammer. That car will take your head off at 55 mph.

Mine was bronze mist also.
  • Options
    Congrats!

Welcome to the Intrigue. I guess there won't be too many new members after this summer, but that's the way it goes. 3.5L is a sweet engine, the best I've owned.
  • Options
    Congradulations!

Sounds like you've got a sweet looking machine there. AND you've got PCS?

Now I'm jealous :-)
  • Options
    Local GM dealer had an ad in this Sunday's paper: 2001 Intrigue for $14,875. I'm guessing it was an ex-rental with probably 22-28K miles. You're probably in the ballpark with $8K starting bid.
  • Options
    humphreyxiao1humphreyxiao1 Member Posts: 2
    Chech your engine mount and your anti sway bar bushing. These are the items will make noise more likiely than your struts mount. You can check it yourself the same way you chech your suspension.
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Quoted $520 cdn $ for 4 (balance and installed).
    Congratulations on your new intrigue! Mberg. Excellent choice.
  • Options
    I saw them advertised in this weekends Saturday Star for around $125 per tire at tire depot. Either way seems a good price considering the comments on tirerack. Better comments than the Pilots, maybe lower expectations because of the lower price? Do you have GA's on your car now?
  • Options
    wbhallwbhall Member Posts: 39
    Congrats on your new 2002. I also have a 2002 mist bronze GS that almost has 12,000 miles on it. I love the car except for the B.S. problems of the dimming lights that they can't find anything wrong with and a tilt steering wheel that just locked into place for the 2nd time. My dash lights also quit working automatically when the headlights turned on (fixed). Cosmeticly, I have a gap by the upper vent in the center of the dash that they have a new padded dash ordered for. Hopefully, the dimming problem will get solved by (Headlight dimming...NHTSA on board).
    I hope your Intrigue is less problems for you than my has been so far. Nothing major, just B.S. things.
  • Options
    winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    Mberg, I also congratulate you on your 2002. I just bought one Dec 8th and am loving it. Gas mileage is a bit lower than I was hoping, but then again it is hard to keep my foot out of the fun pedal! I have been averaging 21.6 mpg in mixed hwy/city driving for my first 3000 miles.

Wbhall, I do not suffer the headlight flicker (that I know of) but I do have a problem reading the dash displays (odometer, PRN321 on dash, outdoor temp, etc.) in bright sun at times. It seems the light sensor on top the dash goes brain dead and thinks it is low-light (night) conditions and consequentially turns the headlights on and dims the dash lights. It will stick in this position for 20 minutes or more before it "wakes up" and gets a clue that it is very bright out and the headlights need to go off and the dash lights brightened. In the mean time I can't read the dash displays. Does this describe your headlight/dashlight condition? Does anyone else have this problem?
  • Options
    rc52rc52 Member Posts: 27
    I recall someone did this? The SLP website says it's (p/n 31026) for the 3.8 motor. Did someone install this on a 3.5 and did it require any mods to make it fit? What kind of performance gains? Did it improve low-end torque? Is the exhaust note noticeably louder or deeper? Any raspiness?
  • Options
    tcjeff1tcjeff1 Member Posts: 4
    I bought an Intrigue in 1999 and can only say that its quality and reliability is average, at best. And why buy a discontinued make of automobile? The resale value will suffer: many potential buyers will be concerned about the availability of parts (which is probably more perception than reality) or they will figure, if this is such a great car, why did they kill it?
    I would think twice about buying an Oldsmobile product now (and this is from a long term GM supporter!)
  • Options
    Indeed your reasoning is probably why the Olds lineup has been selling very poorly of late. Only the Alero gets decent numbers, but it is also the one that most closely resembles another GM product (the Grand Am).

For those keeping their car for over 5 years, resale is not a big issue. Most Intrigue mechanical parts are shared with other W-body GM cars, so aftermarket brakes and suspension parts are widely available.
  • Options
    1way had this installed on his 99 w/3.5L. I believe some minor modifications were done to make it fit, but any muffler shop should be capable of fitting it. Not sure if he is around now to comment or on one of his FL trips.
  • Options
    Reliability in most magazines for Intrigue is average. I would agree with that. Most of the problems people have are very minor, especially post 98 models.

There are some great deals on Intrigues right now so if you plan on driving it for at least 6-7 years you won't go wrong as re-sale won't be a big factor. Not only has GM decided to kill Oldsmobile, they have stopped advertising so the cars are not in people's minds when they shop anymore.
  • Options
    Winter9 said: "It seems the light sensor on top the dash goes brain dead."

Mine is also flaky. Yesterday I drove home from work in daylight but a very heavy overcast and light rain and my headlights did not come on. Sometimes, the sun may be shining brightly (though low in the sky) and the lights will stay on for 10 minutes.
  • Options
    wbhallwbhall Member Posts: 39
    My dashlight problem was that the dashlights wouldn't come on automatically when the headlights turned on. In order to have dashlights I had to turn the headlights to manual. They fixed it but never said what they found.
    The dimming problem seems to be constant among a lot of us. My son's 2001 Intrigue has the same dimming problem as mine as well. The dimming seems to be less right now. One night driving home they would dim about every 3-5 minutes it seemed. I don't mean to sound like a cronic complainer because I really love the way the car handles and the get up and go it has. BTW, I have been averaging 26-28 mpg with mostly highway miles.
  • Options
    bartenderbartender Member Posts: 6
    Congrats Mberg on your 2002 GL. I have a Ruby GL with everything except PCS. I purchased mine in July of 2001 and already have over 30K. Other than a couple of minor electrical problems I really like the car. 85% of my driving is highway, and I'm wondering how far to push the Eagle LS tires? I rotate them every 10K, and they still look to be in great shape, however I will not hesitate to upgrade to the new Pilots! Has anyone installed larger wheels and tires?? I'm thinking about it, but don't want to hurt anything. Thanks for any info!
  • Options
    jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    I'm starting to get really ticked off at everyone involved in getting this problem corrected. I have an open case with Oldsmobile that is almost a year old and have had 4 alternator replacements the last being Jan 8. The dimming has started up again. Tuesday I called Oldsmobile and they had a conference call with the area service rep. The service rep (hereafter "SR") tried to say that there is a BIG difference between "dimming" & "flickering". He said the dimming was a normal occurance with the Intigue when the emissions pump kicked in!!! I then ask why did they replace the alternator 4 times and state it was shorting out & fluctuating out of range on the service orders??? I told the Olds Rep that I was ready to file under Lemon Law because they are now saying this is normal when a defect investigation has been started by NHTSA. This car had 400 miles on it when we took delivery. The dealer knew it had this problem! I should have been told that a "feature" of the car was intermittant dimming headlights and I probably would have chosen a car that didn't have this problem!!! We have agreed to bring the car to the dealership on Monday for yet another overnight stay. Anybody that's having this problem.......Please report it on the NHTSA board and contact Oldsmobile. I want to keep this car, but not if it means putting up with the dimming feature!
  • Options
    I have only had the problem on very cold nights and it's been very intermitant. I am waiting till next winter to bring the issue up as I don't think GM's supplier has a fix yet. Replacing one now is just a waste of time IMO. That said, you may not have the time and you should be mad. Please keep us up to date on your progress.
  • Options
    drmaydrmay Member Posts: 8
    I'm a new owner (Dec. 01)and really appreciate mine. Hwy/City driving is about 75%/25%. I bought a one year lease return with 37550K (22,500 miles. It now has 42000K and there are no problems to report. I've owned a BMW, two Volvos and A FIAT and I'd stack the Intrigue against any of them for overall performance per buck spent.

LIGHT FLICKER: I get it too. it is apparent only on the highway under hard exceleration (which I do a lot of)between 80 KPH and to about 95KPH. Then it goes away. I've got lots of warrentee left so I'll wait to see if it gets worse.

Value: I paid $18,000CDN for mine. (That's $1.49US) I plan on keeping it for many years as I do all my vehicals and have no worries about support or re-sale value. On the longer term, I'll bet this car is destined to be a collectors' piece.

PS: I Just bought a Cherokee too. See ya on the Jeep page!
  • Options
    teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Grand Cherokee? Hope not. Biggest POS made by Chrysler.

The old Cherokees were great little suvs. These were made by AMC so their relibility is above the garbage put out by DCX now days.
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Wow!! $18,000 canadian dollars only works out to $1.49 in the US? I'll have to shop for my next car over the border...

Just kidding, couldn't resist... :)
  • Options
    Is that a GX you bought?
  • Options
    Yesterday I prepared the car for a 4 hour road trip to Rhode Island from Philly. Just turned the 15,000 mile mark and the change oil light came on. Took the car to Sears for the free tire rotation and found that they now do oil changes for the same price as the quick lubes. The air filter needed to be changed. They only charge $2 for installation (used my own Fram filter). OK. Why not.

Since Sears sells synthetic I decided to go for it. It only cost another $12 more than regular syrup ($2/bottle difference x 6 quarts). Since the quick place I use dosen't carry synthetic I figured this would be a good time to check it out.

Now for the real news.

I SWEAR this car now accelerates from a dead stop like my old '98 Intrigue. At first I thought it was just my imagination so I put it to the test. From a good number of stoplights I purposely did the stoplight speedway. I also noticed that the transmission didn't shift as quickly as it usually does.

At first I thought it might have been because I put a new air filter in. Then I remembered that I replaced it once already (also Fram filter) and felt no real difference. Then I thought it was because I used 10W-30 (they were out of 5W-30, it doesn't get cold enough to use 5W-30 all the time although I have been up to this point and the manual says it's OK to use 10W-30). I doubt that would make a big difference.

Then I came to the realization that the claims of synthetic must be true. I truly believe that it greatly reduces friction. That's the only way to describe the very noticable increase in power throughout the band. It also explains why the shift points seem to have changed. More power at the same rev points means I don't lay on the pedal as hard so the tranny doesn't shift as soon. The car hasn't EVER felt this good... even when it was new. As I said earlier, there is NO difference in acceleration from the 3800; I don't have PCS and with 80,000 miles w/the 3800, I think I can remember what it felt like.

What I have to see now is if the engine will still burn a quart btwn changes. If so, that could prove expensive since synthetic costs about $4.30/quart. I have some specific synthetic questions I'm going to post on that thread. But I am VERY pleased with the results. Will post what the mileage is like after the road trip. The best I've done is 30MPG which is 1MPG better than the EPA sticker.
  • Options
    One2One: Maybe now you should go for the cat-back exhaust and the K&N filter for the full combined effect...

If the effect is really this good, I think you'll overlook the cost of an extra quart of oil!
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I went from 10w-30 to 20w-50 in my camaro due to oil consumption. I now get over a miles less per gallon and the engine is not quite as crisp feeling.
    I would imagine that synthetic would have the same efect.
    I bet your gas mileage will go up.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    Gang, anyone know where I could find the value in Canadian dollars for a 2001 GL?

Local Saturn store (subsidiary of the adjacent Chevy/Olds dealer) has a dark blue 2001 GL on the lot. Only downer is the gray interior, not tan. Still, GLs are not particularly common here on the used market and I might be interested because that was the best color in '01. What's it worth?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
  • Options
    Most used Intrigues are GXs. The GL is the best model IMO as they top off the options nicely with climate control, steering stereo controls, leather steering/shifter and fog lights.
  • Options
    tomcat630tomcat630 Member Posts: 854
    Are GX's mainly going into rental fleets?
  • Options
    mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    I just read on thecarconnection.com that NHTSA opened an investigation into the Intrigue's flickering light problem:

http://www.thecarconnection.com/index.asp?article=4660&sid=173&n=156

• Options
    a_l_hubcapsa_l_hubcaps Member Posts: 518
    Has anyone had problems with the power steering on Intrigues? My dad has a 1998 base model Intrigue, bought new in 1997. I believe it has around 50K miles on it now, and the steering rack just had to be replaced for $900.00 due to leakage. I thought GM would have learned about steering racks after that debacle with the X-body in the '80s. Apparently not.

We've had fair amount of problems with our Intrigue in the past, but those were generally electrical and interior/body integrity problems. This is the first major mechanical issue. We have mixed feelings about our Intrigue. The powertrain and handling seem nice and refined, but we've had constant problems with parts falling off, and now this. The parts quality of the Intrigue seems about the same as that of my 1986 Pontiac, which is pretty bad considering that the Pontiac has had 16 years to deterioriate and the Olds has only had 4. If GM would make better quality parts, their cars would be at the top of their classes.

-Andrew L
  • Options
    drmaydrmay Member Posts: 8
    TEO: Cherokee Classic; to replace my '86 Cherokee I'd owned since new.
    DINDAK: Yes: A GX with the usual pw, pdl, p drv seat etc.. No spoiler though. I kinda wish I had one so I'd know where the back end ended. By the way, the Intrigue with traction control handles great on ice and packed snow, but tends to jerk intermittantly around low traction turns. I suspect it's the traction control playing with the brakes. And oh how I love to pass those semi trailers! I used to have to get my people to call their people and make arrangements or rely on satelite recon to gauge oncoming traffic.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Are you kidding? The main problems with early Intrigue's was the steering!