Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    ozznetozznet Member Posts: 81
    I don't have an after market alarm on my car and there isn't a factory one either. If I do get another cd player I will get an alarm. I think I'm going to stick with the factory one for now but I'm going to have to get it rewired so I can use the rear speakers.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    Maybe I need to try and sell my Intrigue north of the border:) All I want is payoff out of it! Heck, I'll even drive it up there and enrich the Canadian economy a bit as I've never been there.
  • Options
    The first one I test drive was a 2000 gx with 45000km and they were asking like 13 thousand for it maybe more I think.
     I was just doing inventory searches for Intrigues in winnipeg and I found a 2000 Oldsmobile INTRIGUE GLS with 69,699km on it for 21,140 and another 2000 for 19,240. All the base model 2002 were also 19,240 - 20,000.
      You have to remember that the cars in Canada sell for a lot higher than in the US. You'd have to pay about 100 dollars with the exchange. LOL
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Yes, mine had a state of art alarm in it, but it wasn't on as the engine was running; something appeared to hit my rear bottom as i drove off a gas station, i stopped the car and went to take a quick look, someone jumped in and drive away! just like that :(
    As far as rear speakers are concerned, i found that they don't really do much in terms of enhancing soundstage, etc...i rather put my money in a high quality front speakers and sub.;
    how about getting a new deck with removeable faceplate, that seems to be the best way to discourage a thief.
  • Options
    It was a removable face plate but I left it in.
    If I had a sub that would be gone to. I just need the rears for the bass I have really good speakers up front
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Offer him $8500 for the 2000 Intrigue.

All the GM sedans seem to have poor resale.
    I saw a '99 Maxima SLE for $16,900 in the paper yesterday.

Even if the get 15-16 for it that is almost double what the Intrigue is bringing.

That will make you sit up and take notice.

MY '01 Impala is probably worth about 11-12K at this point.

Thinking I need to go Asian next time.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    If I sold today I could probably get about 1/2 of what I paid which is about right after 3 1/2 years plus. I never expected any more or less and since the car is running well I don't expect to sell anytime soon.

b4z : How much mileage on the Max though??
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I bought my GX with 22K miles. It was a rental car. Had the tranny rebuilt (no OD) and intermediate steering shaft replaced under warranty. No other significant problems. Now have 45K miles and going strong.
  • Options
    Don't know the mileage.
  • Options
    Ads can be deceiving and if the mileage isn't given you know it's got a zillion.
  • Options
    But if it is a 4, almost 5 year old car for 16.9K
    it must be pretty nice.
    That is the kind of resale us GM owners can only dream about.
  • Options
    While Intrigue resale sucks, I'd be surprised if that Maxi goes for that price or anything near it. Remember, 99s are now two body styles old as the 04s are out now.

Anyway, I guess I should inform everyone that I'm seriously considering a Lincoln LS now. Hey, at least I moved away from the SUV consideration:) While I could use an SUV at times, I'm just a sucker for a great handling/luxurious sedan. LS resale isn't too good either, however, for those of us on the used market that can be a good thing. Found an 01 V8 fully loaded with only 25K today and they were only asking 24,990 for it. And that was before any negotiating. I think the Cadillac CTS still has the upper hand in terms of ride and handling, but I simply cannot afford one now. A good condition/low mileage LS would be a nice compromise for a few years. I'll keep everyone posted on what I do(if anything).
  • Options
    I agree with oldsman, Maximas do not have Honda resale. I actually got it backwards, it probably has very light mileage or the seller is dreaming.

oldsman : LS is a nice car and the low resale makes them attractive. I think a late model LS would be fairly reliable too.
  • Options
    I'll post #10K
  • Options
    nickpernickper Member Posts: 28
    Were many of the tranny and "flickering light" problems fixed by the late 01/2002 model year Intrigues? I am looking into buying a used certified 01 or 02 Intrigue GL or GLS (want the steering wheel radio cntrls). Any info. would be appreciated.
  • Options
    mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    Just remember, that Maxima probably cost a lot more new!!! Those of us who bought these cars in the last few years got them for a song. It softens the resale value blow.

I don't think that buying a car so that you can sell it for a good price is a good reason unless you really want the car. Otherwise, why don't you just buy a car you really want and keep it?
  • Options
    What do you guys think of the new Acura TL?
    I am wondering if I should go RWD this time, since I am not happy with FWD.
  • Options
    Why, what's wrong with FWD?

Have not seen the new TL in person but I think it looks too much like an Accord.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Looks pretty good, probably a bit small though (supposed to be smaller/sportier than current model?).
    http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=132058

http://www.vtec.net/news/news-item?news_item_id=129159
    If I didn't have much snow I would definitely go RWD over FWD all other things being equal. I still might as it is. A used LS is a good proposition but the interior holds me back.
  • Options
    I think one of mine might be going/is bad. In the rear I hear a faint drone/humming that gets louder/higher pitched from about 25 up to about 50mph then I think it gets drowned out by road noise.

But I can hear it get louder when I to sweeping high speed ramps/turns turning left which would lead me to believe my right rear wheel bearing may be bad (or something else in the right rear wheel assembly/suspension).
  • Options
    Saw some pics of the new TL, a definite improvement over the current model. But it is still FWD I believe. As for FWD v RWD, having driven both a Cadillac CTS and now a Lincoln LS, I think RWD is the way to go. Your in SC aren't you? If so, then you don't have to worry about snow very often as I'm in TN and I don't really consider this a reason to go FWD. Especially with traction control systems on most RWD cars now. When I test drove the LS, the salesman insisted that I also drive an 00 SSEi that had just come in on a trade. No comparison between the two cars. The Bonnie was not bad and actually had a better balance between ride and handling than the Intrigue does, but the LS beat it hands down. And the LS was more nimble as well. If you think you can afford one, hold out for an 04 CTS in a couple of months. I've crunched some numbers and a new CTS would be a stretch so now I'm seriosuly considering a used Lincoln LS. The styling is a bit on the dull side and resale on those is a dog, but after driving 2 LSs(a V6 and a V8 model) I am very impressed. Other than a bigger trunk and slightly more rear seat room, the LS has it all over an Intrigue. And it should as it is a luxury car that sells in the 30-40K range when new.
  • Options
    Just got back from my friendly Chevy dealer.
    Humming in the front end.
    Bad wheel bearing.
    Replaced whole assembly
    47,000 miles on the car and a $556 repair.
    To say that I am angry would be a understement.
  • Options
    The flickering has not been fixed by 2002 cause I have it on my car. Its not really bad but its still there at times.
  • Options
    Did you guys know that they were working on a high performance Intrigue around 2000 I think.

Starting with the engine, power for the 3.5L has increased to 250 bhp at 5600 rpm with torque increased another 30 lb. ft. to 260 at 4400 rpm with the addition of an Eaton 62 supercharger. Compact and belt-driven off the crankshaft, the supercharger provides the necessary air to provide more power and torque, particularly at lower rpms. Power also is increased through the use of 9.5:1 with forged aluminum pistons.

you can read the rest at
    http://www.knightsperformance.com/osv_intrigue_to_test_high_perfo- r.htm
  • Options
    Rotate your tires and see if the noise follows. I had a similar noise and it was tires.
  • Options
    I remember reading about that concept in late 99. I think they showed it off at the SEMA show in Las Vegas that year. Several car mags ran short write-ups on it.
  • Options
    ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    My mechanic quoted me $338.39 to replace one front wheel bearing ($214 part, $109 labor, $15 tax).

I have not had this work done yet as there was only slight play and I could wait a short while. The '98 Intrigue has 75K miles on it.
  • Options
    Found out that my rotors were not warped. It was the front hub assembly moving around due to the worn bearings.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    While I agree the Lincoln LS is a fine driving car and is a higher caliber car than the Intrigue, you might want to consult Consumer Reports for the LS repair record. Look at the categories the LS has black (trouble spots). Though CU likes the LS, they have it on their avoid list as it has a Much Worse Than Average repair record. The Intrigue's record varies from Average to Worse than average. I tried to second guess CU when I bought my '98 Catera (also rated with a Much Worse than Avg repair record). Boy, were they right. In 11 months, my car was in the shop 8 times for many (some serious) service issues. I sold it for a significant loss before I owned it 12 months. The Catera was also a better driving car and of higher caliber than the Intrigue, but my Intrigue has been great overall. So while you might be getting a 'nicer'car, you may still be setting yourself up for more service headaches.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    I just came across this TSB:
    ==============================
    Component Description:
    15. INTERIOR SYSTEMS:INSTRUMENT PANEL:GAUGE:INDICATOR:TEMPERATURE NHTSA Number: 618068
    Bulletin Number: 010602001
    Bulletin Date: JAN 2001

Vehicle: 2000 Oldsmobile Intrigue
    Summary:
    SUBJECT REGARDING HIGHER THAN NORMAL TEMPERATURE GAUGE READING OR OVERHEAT CONDITION IN COLD WEATHER. *JB
    ==========================

I have noticed this several times the 2nd winter I owned the car. Where can I get the complete text of the TSB?
  • Options
    Well I bit the bullet today and finally got my brakes changed. New cross-drilled slotted rotors and raybestos quiet stop ceramic pads all around. Cost $660CAD installed.
  • Options
    Where did you get it done? How many kms are you at?
  • Options
    hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    Imacmil, I believe somewhere in the Maintenance or Repair boards, there is someone with access to AllData who can look up the TSB's for you.

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Thanks Robert, you are correct.

Imacmill, go see 0patience in this discussion: Technical Service Bulletins. He'll look it up for you.

Let us know how it works out.
  • Options
    132,000km mostly highway.

Got them done at a shop in Pickering, found through the ontario/quebec club gp forum. The owner/mechanic has a highly modified GP he took me for a ride in.

He did mention the price he could get the rotors for was going up in a few weeks though. Front pads only would have been around $180-$200 with service I believe. Good pads (better than oem) and less than dealer pricing.
  • Options
    That can't be the first time you have changed pads??
  • Options
    Yep! Unbelievable I know. I bought the car with 22K so unless the brakes went bad and were changed before I bought, they were original. Fronts were almost non-existant when he showed them to me. Rears actually could have gone for another 20,000km maybe. New pads have a lot more surface area than the OEMS.
  • Options
    vcjumper : Wow, that's amazing for OEM pads. I have about 66K on our 00 and I was thinking we would have to change them in the next 10K. Maybe not!!

oldsman : Here is a used LS repost that cam out today..

http://www.canadiandriver.com
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,098
    Anyone know where I can find the paint code on my '02? Is it on the sticker on the bottom of the trunk lid? Where is the code amidst all those codes on there? It's Tropic Teal if anyone knows.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    Well guys(and girls if there are any here) I did it today, I traded my beloved Intrigue. It was a touch bittersweet, but nontheless something I had to do. Traded her for a 2001 Lincoln LS V8. While I haven't become a Ford man yet, I have warmed up to some of their new products(i.e. Explorer, LS, T-bird). The LS only has 25K so I've still got nearly 2 years and 25K of warranty left and may look into an extended warranty. Thus far, I'm loving the car. Being a luxury car and carrying a sticker of nearly 40K when new, one would expect it would surpass the Intrigue in many areas and it does. What really sold me on it was the overall refinement. Again, it is a luxury car and I guess thats probably what I should have gone with 2 years ago since I do like refinement in my cars. It did seem a bit odd to trade my first ever brand new car for a used car of the same model year, but then I started thinking of all those trips to the service department and the weeks I spent driving crappy loaners while mine was waiting on parts and I felt better. Getting on the freeway and putting the Lincoln's pedal down really made me smile.

As for the Intrigue, I will stand by my statement that it was a brilliantly designed car that seemed to be tarnished by poor build quality and dealer support. For a midsize sedan in it's era(late 90s/early 00s) it was one of the best designs on the road. While the Lincoln with it's nearly even 50/50 weight distribution and RWD layout does handle better than the Intrigue, I can say that an Intrigue could certainly hang with an LS. Heck, when I had mine I could hang with MBs and BMWs pretty well. So hopefully, she will find a good new home and maybe she will love her new owners more than she did me:) In the end, the problems and mediocre service network did it in for me.

As for the trade, the dealer gave me nearly $1000 more than the other Ford dealer was going to give me when I was shopping Explorers. They had the LS at a pretty fair price and I got them down another grand and with the "better than I expected" trade value on mine, I signed on the dotted line. While I know buying a used car is sometimes a crapshot, I can't imagine this one will have any more problems than my Intrigue did. So anyway, thats the end of my 25 month affair with the Intrigue. I'll post a "review" of the car shortly and I'll still frequent this board to see how everyone and their Intrigues are doing. Who knows, maybe the person who buys mine will show up here:)
  • Options
    Congrats on the new vehicle.
    Intrigue ownership can be truly love/hate.
    Sometimes you just have to cut your losses and move on to the next thing.
  • Options
    rwisemrwisem Member Posts: 96
    I agree with your comments about the design of the Intrigue. I had a 1998 and a 2001 as company cars with a Buick Regal in between. The Intrigue was far superior in every way, design, handling, appearance, even though it was basically the same car. It was GM's strongest mid-size, possibly ever, but they should have built it in the Oshawa plant where the Buicks were built. Oshawa cars beat te Japanese in quality. With the Intrigue design and best in class assembly, it might have even saved Olds.
  • Options
    Congrats! What did you end up getting it for (if you don't mind me asking)?

I like the LS, it's a great 2nd hand bargain from what I have seen, much like the late model Cateras. I think the Intrigue is a pretty solid car and most people have had decent luck with their cars. Unfortunately you had a lemon but I guess it's not your problem anymore.
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,990
    Congratulations. Let us know your new 'handle' so we can follow along with you on the LS board. I wouldn't think you'll remain Oldsman01. Tell us more about your LS, color, equip, etc. Enjoy!!

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    Just saw the weekly production numbers and Buick has only made 16,900 Regals this year. Last year was only 17,200.
    Pitiful.
    Intrigue did better than that in 2001.
    To put things into perspective, 200,000 Impalas have been built this year.
  • Options
    Congrats on the new wheels. Can be pretty certain it will serve you better than the Trig did!
  • Options
    I figure many of the seniors I see driving Intrigues (about half I see are of that age group) will be buying Buicks next? That Lesabre my dad test drove, "Hello and welcome to 1987!".

Odd that they are scrapping the Century name rather than the Regal.
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    I stopped by a dealer and asked about the dreaded ISS lube service, just for kicks.

Well, I was told that just lubing would be like $180, but that they would usually replace the rack, ringing at $550!!!

Do I smell a rip-off? Those who've performed just the lube service didn't have problems any more?

TIA
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    Goodbye Intrigue, Hello Lincoln.
    Excellent choice on your new love.
    We are all going to miss you....
  • Options
    b4z : Impala is selling like hot cakes this year.

vcjumper : My parents bought a LeSabre last month. Man what an old folks car! Very solid though. Buick has some good product in the pipes so hopefully...

evandro : Lube worked for us, no issues 6 months later. Can't the dealer tell you what you need?? Lube cost sounds high.