Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    evandro - My favorite repair shop lubed my ISS for $40. I think that $180 is a rip-off, I recall the kit is about $20 and it was 0.5 hours to do the work at my shop. The job was done in Feb 02 at 60 K miles. I now have 75 K miles on the car and have had no repeat of the problem.
  • Options
    deville70deville70 Member Posts: 8
    b4z, I don't think your comparison of 200,000 Impala sold vs. less than 17,000 Buick Regals so far this year is a fair comparison. The Regal is a smarter, snappier, younger car. Regals cost more than Impalas, too. Might compare Regals sales with new Impala LS sales, as this upgrade Impala stickers about $7,000 higher on average from what I've seen on the lots. How many Buick Centurys have sold compared to base Impalas? I think those sales numbers would be the real comparison, and far less "pitiful."

This being an Intrigue board, I was fairly pleased with styling and interior when Intrigue first came out. I probably would prefer an Intrigue over Century until Impala debuted; now I think I like Impala over both.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    I think you hit the nail on the head about assembly quality between the two plants. One time when the Intrigue was in the shop I had a Century as rental from Enterprise and while it was a lackluster car, it had nearly as many miles as my Intrigue did and felt much more solid and made no strange noises when making sharp turns.

sda, I'll probably change my handle soon but will still frequent this board. My LS is a 2001 V8 with the sport package(17" wheels, no chrome on bumper, upgraded brakes, select-shift tranny, etc.) with pretty much every option. It is Autumn Red with a medium parchment interior.

b4z, the Impala is really on a role this year! Actually, it's not a bad sedan. My friend's father has an 02 LS and he(my freind that is) drives it alot and I've been pretty impressed with the ride and the interior when I've been in the car. I'm not sure why the automotive press thinks this Impala has such a cheap looking interior. As for RWD which I know you have considered on your next car, I would HIGHLY recommend it. I put the LS through it's paces tonight and it just came back and asked for more. I think the CTS might have a slight edge in the balance between smooth ride and excellent handling, but the Lincoln ain't far behind. And it's ahead of any FWD car I've driven and that includes the Cadillac SLS I had as a rental last summer.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Century has much softer supsension than Intrigue.
    Much more isolated.
    I was in a Century with 76,000 miles and it was more solid than the Intrigue with 3,000 miles.
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    oldsman01, please, tell us more about the grunt of that RWD V8!

On the Impala, having ridden on a Monte Carlo, I was very impressed with the critter comforts it offers: compliant ride, very good road isolation and a quiet cabin. However, the hard plastic used on most of the dashboard and door panels, is decidedly inferior to the Intrigue's. Yet, it did have a more solid feel and seemed better assembled.
  • Options
    oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    The V8 is sweet!! Off the line, it is quicker than an Intrigue, however, being a DOHC engine of only 3.9 liters it doesn't burn tires like a Z28. The power does build alot quciker than the Intrigue did and I think having a 5 speed transmission helps things too. Above the magic speed of 3000 RPM this thing flies!! I haven't pushed it to redline yet, but I did romp on the gas last night when merging onto a freeway and watched the tach climb to about 5500 rpm. When I looked at the speedo, I was doing 90. At 5500 rpm, the engine is MUCH quieter than the Intrigue's. There is very little exhuast noise and what you do hear is just very well muted mechanical whirr. At idle, stand in front of the car and you'd think it is powered by an electric turbine motor rather than an internal combustion engine. Personally, I'd like a little more V8 burble from the exhaust(the way Cadillac does it with their V8s) but otherwise the powertrain sound and feel is excellent. One of the benefits of RWD is no torque steer. Now the Intrigue wasn't that bad when it came to TS, but at times it did want to pull when accelerating hard. Accelerating while making turns just feels so much different in a RWD car.

Dindak, paid 22.9K for the car. 2001 LS-V8 with 25K and all options. I also got a much better trade allowance on the Intrigue than the other Ford dealer was going to give me when I was shopping Explorers. Probably could have gotten them down lower if I weren't trading and simply had money in hand to buy, but I was pleased with the deal and feel it was fair. I'll be curious to see if my Intrigue shows up in their used car ad in tomorrow's paper.
  • Options
    focusfocus Member Posts: 225
    "GM is recalling about 783,000 Malibus, Aleros, and Grand Ams built between feb 1, 2000 and may 1, 2001, including 88,000 in Canada to replace faulty hazard warning switches." Toronto Star Sept. 6th.
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    oldsman : Sounds reasonable. They are nice cars, didn't realize you got a V8. I don't think the CTS will have resale like that for me in the next two years.

evandro : If they would have put the Monte Carlo interior in the Impala and didn't put an ugly butt on it I would have considered one. Very sold cars.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    Rumors are that the next gen Impala (2006-07) will be rear drive and, possibly, V-8 powered. Possibly 4.8 liter version of the next-gen OHV V-8 with Displacement-on-Demand and approximately 275-300 hp. With new 6-speed automatic tranny and DOD, it should get about the same highway mileage as current 3.8 Impala, though a bit less in town. You have to think the police departments all over America are keeping their fingers crossed! Two-door version could signal the return of the Chevelle, too. This would be the sister car to the next-gen Pontiac GTO.
  • Options
    ozznetozznet Member Posts: 81
    Congrats on your new car oldsman.

Does anybody know if you can put duel exhaust on an Intrigue. I am trying to think of things to do to it without getting stupid with it like a turbo or something. Any ideas.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Sure you can.. Would have to be a custom job though. Bring it to an exhaust shop. Thats what a lot of GP guys do to get rid of the ubend and resonator in their exhausts. Could be costly to change everything from the cat back though (assuming you want to get rid of the resonator too).

Probably not going to gain much power without getting a more open intake too though.

Had my car up on a lift when I got the brakes replaced last week and there is nothing too crazy about the layout of the exhaust.
  • Options
    winbrowinbro Member Posts: 235
    that low amount of regals tells me that GM is, for now, somwhat conceding the mid-size market to Accord, Camry, Taurus & Altima.
  • Options
    Impala is a good car, but not great.
    A little bit siffer body structure, so less creaks ,etc.
    Better ride quality and less harshness over impacts.
    IMp does not beg to be driven like the Intrigue was. Intigue's engine just made you want o put your foot into it.
    Imp is more reliable but I have had probs. Thankfully they have been fewer than the intrigue.

Warped intake manifold.
    Noisy tach.
    Warped rotors.
    Vibrating exhaust system.
    Front bearings went out. Very expensive.
    Plus a few other things I can't remember.

Impala SS is kind of interesting, but it has the older generation supercharged motor and it takes premium.
    The gran prix runs on regular.

Thinking of refinancing or buying a '95 Lexus LS 400 for 16K.
  • Options
    v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    16K for an LS400 is tempting, but for around 16K(maybe slightly more) you could probably get a low mileage 2000 LS V8. While it may be a Lexus, it's still an 8(actually 9) year old car now. Actually, you may want to look at 95-96 Q45s. Not as common as LS400s, but the Infinitis haven't had the resale of Lexus, yet are more of an enthusiast's car. The 90-96 Q was one of the few Japanese cars that I like.

BTW, this is Oldsman01 under the new handle:)

ozznet, you could put some "R" stickers and a coffee can sized exhaust pipe on your Intrigue. Maybe even yellow wiper arms that park in the up position. Hey, it works for the Honda crowd:)
  • Options
    Lexus only has 47K miles on it. That is why I am considering it.
    '95 was the first year for increased rear legroom and has a slightly different body.
  • Options
    Actually, the new Malibu due out any day is GMs Camcord fighter. It sounds like it's pretty competitive from the reviews I have seen. Impala, GP and Regal are bigger cars but also compete to some degree.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ... are not an okay thing.

If you wish to change your Town Hall name, you need to write to our Senior Host Karen (karen@edmunds.com) and explain the situation to her. I think what she will do is disable your original user ID which will keep you in compliance with the Membership Agreement's requirement that "You must maintain only one Town Hall user name."

Sorry for the interruptions, carry on!

:)
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    There's nothing like a V8. Well, maybe a V12 or something... I don't think I'll buy any car that doesn't have at least 8 cylinders anymore... :D

You said "loaded" but I'm curious. Did it have stability control? I checked out the LS when buying the 'Roara and I noticed it was an incredibly rare option for some reason. For 2002 they bundled it with heated seats I think in an effort to get more cars equipped with it.
  • Options
    Yep, the LS has stability control(Advance trac in Lincoln speak). The only option it does not have is RESCU(Lincoln's version of Onstar). Mine has the sport suspension package which includes 17" wheels, sport tuned suspension, no chrome on the bumpers, upgraded brake pads, and an engine oil cooler. Other options are sunroof, heated front seats, Alpine audio system with in-dash changer, and select-shift transmission. With 25K, it wasn't a bad deal at all for 22.9K.
  • Options
    akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    Getting the dual exhaust may be more trouble than what it's worth. You'll have to get your rear bumper cut to fit the extra tailpipe, and if they screw up, do you want to buy another? Plus, there's a lip on the outer edge of the tailpipe opening. You think they can reproduce that? Try the SLP cat-back exhaust. I have it, and I love the sound and the change in the torque curve. Sounds awesome at WOT, but not intrusive at all other times.
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Can't do it on a New York State registered car unless it was a factory option for the year the car was built. There is NO modification allowed from stock - according to the "rules". Checked into that myself at my last inspection. Though many places would "let it slide", it isn't worth the fines and hassles in case of a "roadside" visual inspection by a trooper. Just wish someone would explain how all those former V6/single pipe Mustangs now sporting 4.6 or 5.0 V8s, headers and duals are "legal".

Also, New Yorkers...Liberty plates are OUT! Been seeing a few cars with them still on - they have not been legal since May!

Deke
  • Options
    Thanks for the imput. It was just a thought. I just really like how it looks on cars. I live in Canada so I don't know about the laws here.
  • Options
    Your probably fine on laws there unless you guys have emission checks. NY and a few other states(California comes to mind) are bad about laws restricting things on cars. Adding dual exhuast to an Intrigue would be a tricky affair I would imagine unless you just did it from the converter back.
  • Options
    MartypaMartypa Member Posts: 50
    whether or not you have the 3.29 or the 3.05 axle? I bought my 00 used, and can't find anything in the owner's manual to figure this out.
  • Options
    2000's have 3.05 gear for better fuel economy.
    Only PCS cars model year 2000 and later have 3.29 gear.
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Have about 1000 miles on the Yokohamas and boy are they quiet! They also run smoother than the OEM GoodYear LSs.

Since I put them on, I've been waiting for a rainy day to test them out, and was not disappointed over the Labor Day weekend.

When we get the wife's new Camry, if it doesn't have the AVIDs on it, I think I'll ask them to replace the stock tires.

With TireRack's prices, it cost me a total of $320 for tires and mounting.

Now to just get that rattling rear stabilizer replaced for the THIRD time! Now, do I HAVE to go back to the same dealer service department for that or would any GM service be able to see the warranty notation on the computer and do the work for free?

Deke
  • Options
    I could repeat your words about that Yokohama. Except I haven't seen rain with them yet. I'm also a tad disappointed about its braking performance, which causes the ABS to kick in a bit early, IMO. It's either that its traction is not its best point or that the Intrigue has too powerful brakes up front. ;-)
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    I, too, have noticed the ABS kicking in earlier with the Yokohama AVIDS. I thought is was just my imagination. Working on 8000 miles. All quiet and smooth and showing minimal wear, so I'm satisfied. On another note, I am getting popping, banging noises at low speeds again. Had ISS lube at 23000 miles, but now at 36300 miles, its making noises again. Temporary fix, I don't know. Called dealer and they said they would probably cover the repair since they 'fixed' it earlier. I'll let you know what I find.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    rc52rc52 Member Posts: 27
    Is the dealer trying to rip me off or does this sound about right? They claim they'll have to disassemble the rear brakes to adjust the parking brake shoes & cable. As it is, they hit me for $39.50 just to remove the wheels to inspect the things. And all I asked them to do was check into why the parking brake wasn't holding the car. If this is really what it costs then I'll just wait until I need new brakes to do it.
  • Options
    Bring it to an independent garage for sure.. Ask some local people for referrals. Thats way out of whack
  • Options
    I don't know, I think it's a tad higher than in other cars. Is it only mine or did you notice that on the Intrigue too? Can it be adjusted?

TIA
  • Options
    I noticed it to when I first got mine. I was almost missing it at first. I think its like an inch higher than my grand am. I got use to it after awhile.
    I don't know if its adjustable though.
  • Options
    lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    ...unless you have "adjustable pedals" which were not available on the Intrigue. I never thought that mine seemed high compared to most other cars. I had a Mitsubishi Diamante rental car recently that that definitely had a different brake pedal to accelerator pedal differential than most cars.
  • Options
    Anyone else here test drive an accord ex-v6 lately? Handled well in most conditions. But when driving near the edge, did not inspire confidence compared to the Intrigue(edge meaning when your passengers think they are going to die because you are taking corners too fast, and they would probably be made right a few mph faster, I spend quite a bit of time doing that).

Maybe I just was notaccustomed to the car.

(Yes I was able to test drive it without a salesman today!).
  • Options
    Are you looking?

I like the Accord overall, but it's so common that it would be a hard car for me to swallow. I like owning a car that's a little bit different.
  • Options
    I know what you mean by driving near the edge:) Can't say I've done it in an Accord though. BTW, have you tested a Mazda 6? If I were buying another new car in the Intrigue's class, the 6 would likely be it.
  • Options
    It was more just a whim. Went to dealer to pick up friend who dropped off car for service. When in Rome.....
  • Options
    redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I'm kind of partial to the new EX-V6 coupe. Would be nice to get one with manual. Don't like the looks of the sedan.

Also thinking about a G35 coupe as a replacement for the Intrigue. The new GTO looks pretty promising too, but I have a feeling it will be expensive.
  • Options
    Looks like some people here are looking to move to the next car. In 3 years I may be one of the only ones left.

Right now (given I can't afford much more than a midsize sedan), I would probably go for a 04 Grand Prix or a Mazda 6 to replace the Intrigue. I like the 6 a bit better but it's a bit smallish. Accord would be in there also, but it's too common for me and that would put it in 3rd place.
  • Options
    I was wondering if anyone would consider the new Grand Prix as an Intrigue replacement, I'm glad you did. All the auto reviews praise it as a huge advancement over the last generation. The prices float around what the Intrigue cost up to the end.
    Getting a GTP with the Comp-G package costs the same as a top-of-the-line GLS.

I want to stick to GM when I get my Intrigue replacement, but I'm still too young to think about a 4-door (I bought this one with the idea to keep it till it dies, and no GM coupes interest me right now). If I had to replace it w/ a 4-door, it would be the '04 GTP.
    Of course, I'm really digging the G35 coupe. I've always dug the Corvette but when I can afford it (in 15 years or so), it will have to be a second car.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    I'm into my new 2002 for at least 4 or 5 years Dindak, so at least we'll have ourselves to keep each other company... ;-)

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    akitadog : I have not tested an 04 GP but I would assume handling would be as good if not better than the Intrigue. I love the looks and I hear they are fixing the seat patterns.

redline : Our next vehicle is likely an SUV.

ab : Still liking your car?
  • Options
    dpete4dpete4 Member Posts: 5
    The outside temperature display in my Intrigue is inaccurate (indicates 20 - 30 degrees too low)during hot weather. Have others experienced this, and if so what is the fix?
  • Options
    I had the fortune to test-drive a GP GTP. It has much more sporting pretensions than the Intrigue. It weighs more, but the 17s offset that when it comes to taking a corner. The driver's seat is very comfortable (and I'm not a leather guy) and has enough side bolstering to hint at its sporty leanings. I don't care for the steering wheel shift pads/buttons. Paddle shifters would be much more welcome.
    As far as I know, it's still on the w-body platform, so its dimensions should be darn close to those of the Intrigue.

It's definitely worth a test drive, but I can't speak for the naturally aspirated GT.
  • Options
    I read the GP actually has 3 suspension tunings.. GT / GTP / GTP Comp-G and reviewers tend to favour the GTP as being the best ride/handling compromise.
  • Options
    Car is just paid for and has been reliable so it would be financially stupid for me to get a new vehicle given the increase in insurance payments and startup of car payments again that that would bring.

On the other hand, I've never really been that fiscally responsible when it comes to cars so..

I think I'll probably keep it for 2 more years if it stays good to me. By then the original struts will probably be useless and the third set of tires will be worn in.
  • Options
    I have 4 and a half year left on my warranty so I will be keeping it till at least then. As long as its not a lemon I will keep it until it dies or if I get a huge raise or something. So far I love it.
    It has 32k and no problems yet.
    I think my next car will be something like an Accord or Maxima unless GM comes up will something good. I don't really like the new Grand Prix and I'm not buying a car with that old 3.8L in it.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    Dindak, I am very pleased indeed. I really like the Tropic Teal paint and the 2-tone interior, love the engine response and handling, and all of the gizmos and gadgets. Haven't found anything of consequence that I dislike about either the design or the build quality. My main problem is that I seem to want to go very fast and I am afraid I will have an accident!

The only thing I may have to have looked at is that there seems to be a minor rocking of the drivers seat at times. I might look at it myself on the weekend if I get a chance. But other than that I have no complaints. Great car.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    ab348 : Yes, I like your color. We have the silver which is nice, but kind of blends in too much. We love our car and it's been very reliable.

vcjumper : I would likely go for a GT2 if I got a GP. GTP is too much $ for me at this point. I think I would skip over a GTP if I did have the cash, pay a few extra clams and get a base CTS.
  • Options
    hoelisehoelise Member Posts: 1
    Hi.....I lost the lowest speed on my heater/vent/ac fan about 2 months ago and now the second lowest speed has also gone out. Anyone else had this problem? Do you know what the fix is or how much the repair should cost?
    Thanks!