Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• Options
    tandertander Member Posts: 21
    I havent driven either, but I like the retro look of the new Ford Mustang over the GTO. Both are rear wheel drive, but so are BMWs, Mercedes E class along with every car that I learned how to drive in back in the late 70s. I dont understand the phobia some people have with rear wheel drive cars. I remember when the only front wheel drive car was the Olds Toranado. I dont think there that much better in the snow, just different.
  • Options
    v8lincolnguyv8lincolnguy Member Posts: 273
    I can tell you that I wanted to drive fast in the Intrigue all the time. And I did quite often. While I don't advocate doing this, I engaged the car's top speed limiter on several occasions. For all the car's problems, it was extremely well planted at 120+ MPH. I haven't had the Lincoln to those speeds yet and don't really plan on it. The Lincoln likes to go fast as well and the problem with it is you don't realize how fast your going. The LS is MUCH quieter than the Intrigue was. I don't think I've ever seen an Intrigue in tropic teal, what trim line is yours?

Speaking of Intrigues, the dealer I traded mine at appears to have it listed in their ad that was in today's newspaper. They are asking $13.9K for it. If someone is willing to take a crapshot on the fact the car might not have anymore problems and can talk them down $1500 or so, they will have a heck of a deal on a very nice Intrigue.

While I'm sure everyone knows that I'm really loving the Lincoln's V8 power, excellent ride and handling, and much quieter interior as well as many other things, there are a few things I miss from the Intrigue. One is the Intrigue's separate control stalk for the wipers on the right side of the steering wheel. The Lincoln has it's wipers on the turn signal stalk. Also, on the Intrigue(as well as many other cars these days) to put the high beams on, you push the turn signal stalk forward. To go back to low beams, you pull it toward you. And to simply flash the high beams(optical horn) you pull it toward you and release it. On the Lincoln, you pull the lever toward you until it "clicks" to turn the high beams on and then do the same thing to go back to the low beams. IMO, this is old school as my old 89 Olds Touring Sedan was this way. Two other small things on the LS are the doors do not automatically unlock when you shift into park(no Ford product does this) and there is no "delayed locking" feature when you press the lock switch. I had really gotten used to that little feature. Oh and the Lincoln doesn't turn the interior lights on when you remove the key from the ignition. Okay, so I've nitpciked enough! So while the LS is clearly a higher calibur car than the Intrigue was, the Olds did have some very neat little touches that one quickly starts to take for granted.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    V8lincolnguy, mine is an '02 GX with some sort of option package I don't see in the brochure that gives it an upgraded stereo, split folding rear seat, spoiler, power drivers seat and a few other things.

Interesting sidebar: as I mentioned before, it didn't come with carpet mats for some reason. So I ordered a set. I got them this week and they are the "final 500" mats! My car isn't a final 500 car but I'm keeping these anyway since they have the old-style script "Oldsmobile" logo embroidered on them. Very cool.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    ab348 : That is cool! I have the last Olds emblem stitched on the corner of my mats which I thought were a nice touch. Most cars just have plain mats.
  • Options
    white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    will supposedly have a base price of $33,000 (including destination) and have but one option: 6-speed manual transmission at $695. Pick your color and tranny... everything else is standard. Auto Climate Control and a few other things didn't make the transition from Holden Monaro to GTO; they're de-contenting already! But 350 hp and 365 ft/lb torque with a 3.46 axle promises 0-60 in low fives and quarter miles in the low thirteens. Expect 17-19 mpg in daily driving (if you can keep your foot out of it). I'm thinking that when I get my 330Ci paid for, I pick up a three year old GTO to replace the wife's Intrigue. ;)
  • Options
    gtmushgtmush Member Posts: 4
    Has anybody had to have their keyless entry remote transmitters replaced? I was wondering what I could expect to pay the dealer for two transmitters and the necessary programming. The car is a 1998 Intrigue GL. The batteries have been checked already. Thank you for your help.
  • Options
    ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,096
    Anyone ever change an instrument cluster lamp on the Intrigue? How do you access them? I just realized that my cruise indicator doesn't light up in the cluster (just the LED on the switch). I suppose it might be under warranty but really, if it's easy I'd just as soon do it myself if I knew it wasn't a bear of a job.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• Options
    cy64cy64 Member Posts: 2
    dpete4 -- Ambient temperature registering low. Had same trouble. Replaced Ambient temperature sensor P/N 10248414 located in front of radiator and behind bumper. No tools needed. Cost $8.45 + tax.. Good luck..
  • Options
    MartypaMartypa Member Posts: 50
    You can find plenty of ketless remotes for the Intrigue on ebay at a fraction of the dealer cost. There are also instructions on how to program them- just do a search in Edmunds. My dealer wanted 120.00 for a remote plus programming! I did it myself with an 18.00 remote off ebay. Good Luck
  • Options
    Does the green "cruise" light at the base of the speedo not come on when the cruise is set? Remember, it will only come on when the cruise is actually engaged. The amber LED on the button stays on anytime the cruise is switched on. If the car is under warranty, I'd take it in and let them fix it as the cluster has to be removed and then disassembled. If you REALLY want to do it yourself, I can probably fax you the instructions from the service manual(which I still have).
  • Options
    dpete4dpete4 Member Posts: 5
    cy64-- I replaced the ambient temperature sensor as you suggested, but the inaccurate display remains. Looks like my problem has a deeper cause. Thanks for your input anyway. It seemed like a proper analysis to me.
    Anybody out there have any other ideas on how to fix an extremely in accurate temp display?
  • Options
    I looked on Ebay and found keyless remotes for Chevys and Grand Prixs that look just like the 1999 Intrigue keyless remote. Will these work and if so are they easy to program? I didnt see any for Olds nor Intrigue.
  • Options
    gtmushgtmush Member Posts: 4
    Thank you Martypa. The solution turned out to be a $10 can of Precision Electronics Cleaner from Radio Shack. After taking both remotes apart and cleaning the contacts and circuit boards with the Electronics Cleaner and Q-tips, they both work as good as new.
  • Options
    evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Does it come with a low, trembling sound when turning at parking lot speeds and some play in the steering wheel?

TIA
  • Options
    sdasda Member Posts: 6,988
    My car is in the dealer for the ISS today. Symptoms that I noticed were subtle, but annoying. At low speeds (<30mph), I would feel some binding, and when braking, light popping transmitted thru the brake pedal. Didn't notice any additional play in the steering. I will report back what they find when I get my car back. Car has 36700mi, ISS lubed at 22000mi 7/02, so the problem has come back. Dealer promised that because this was already addressed under warranty in 7/02, "they will take care of it".

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

• Options
    MartypaMartypa Member Posts: 50
    the number next to "GM" on your remote. My 00, for example,has the # 10246215. Presumably, any GM remote with this number should work with my car.
  • Options
    stgoddardstgoddard Member Posts: 6
    I have a 2000 Intrigue gls with the blinking light problem since the begining. I had the alternative replaced in April 2001 but it didn't solve the problem. I finally decided to go back and see if there was a new solution by GM after 2 years of waiting. I was told this was caused by the air blower going on and off and that it is normal!
     Needless to say I told the service rep. I didn't buy it and it's obvious there's a design problem with the car, he said he wasn't allowed to say that.
  • Options
    Sounds like you still have an alternator issue. Still under warranty?

I had mine changed this winter and the flickering light issue is gone. Your dealer is not being honest IMO.

b4z : Not helpful.
  • Options
    jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    I just came on to post that the flicker has come back in full force and see we're not the only ones still fighting the battle. We've had 5 alternators and this one has gone nearly a year & a half without much of a problem. Driving to work in the dark this morning the lights wouldn't stay at the bright level without dimming every 15-30 seconds. There was no blower fan running so that's not the cause. Luckily I only had to drive about 20 minutes while I needed the headlights to spot deer in the roads while trying to fight the distraction of the flickering beams.

I've gotten quite fond of the phrase the GM fellow at the Lemon Law department used. This is merely a "design characteristic"! Apparently they forgot to include this bonus in the brochures.

All else I still am quite satisfied with at 33,000 miles on our 2001 GL. Great ride, gas mileage and body style. We just have to restrict our driving to daylight hours!!
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Wasn't trying to be flip.

Was in the process of formulating a pithy comment about the alternative.

Appointment arrived a few minutes early so I didn't finish typing and hit the post button.

Anyhow, my advice would be to go ahead and get another replacement alternator. Possibly an aftermarket one.
  • Options
    cy64--Contrary to my message of 9/25, the temp indicator has now mysteriously started to work flawlessly. It didn't work immediately after replacing the sensor, but a day later everything is just fine. Must be some sort of a computer reset situation. Anyway, I want to thank you once again. I'm again a happy Intrigue owner. It's a fine ride, good handling and good gas mileage. I'll miss Oldsmobile when this one expires
  • Options
    My 01 GLS had this problem and they replaced the alternator about a year ago and it actually made the problem WORSE! I literally could predict when the lights would flicker. Now that cooler weather is upon us, I suspect this topic will heat up again. After the alternator was replaced, everytime I took the car back for service and mentioned this to them, I got pretty much the same thing you did. What I was told once was the air pump cycling is what caused this. I never bought that as I can't imagine the air pump cycling every 30 seconds or so and it doesn't explain why in warm or extremely cold weather, I never got the flicker. It was always in mild temperatures. The inability for annoying little problems like this to be fixed is why I traded my Intrigue. Good luck on getting yours fixed.
  • Options
    I think if you still have the issue and are under warranty, get the alternator fixed bu the dealer. If not, probably best to get an after market. Another thing to check is the battery itself.

My car is ok now so clearly there must be a replacement that works. If it doesn't I suspect there must be another issue.
  • Options
    moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    I just looked in my "Gm to English" dictionary for the phrase design characteristic and it says flaw.

Once again the air pump is a cop out by the masters of spin as mine, after many moons of nothing, turned into strobe light a while back Every 3 to 5 seconds for a 40 minute drive home. Awfully stupid design to hav ethe airpump come on every 5 seconds.

Headlight flashes from two oncoming cars and one poor soul in front, pumping his brake lights at me. Plugged my DVM into the lighter and watched the voltage go between 14.5 and 12.5 volts. After two days and fretting about the dealers excuses, now going on three alts., I cleaned the rusty nut connection on the ground wire that runs from the negative bat. terminal to the frame rail just behind the battery and the problem has not reoccured. Good management or good luck, time will tell. I'm leaning on the latter.

This crap from Gm is why i shredded my Gm loyalty certificate. So dissappointed. Never again, unless they discount it 40 percent to compensate for the massive depreciation and incompetance of engineers. Besides, i couldn't afford the divorce lawyer the wife would want if i put more hard earned money into another one of their .......

V8 lincoln guy : I read with baited breath for your new car purchase with every post as you battled a war between products. I said nothing but am glad you didn't go back to gm after the very unfortunate garbage and losses you incurred.

Dindak: the luckiest Gm owner in N. A., not once but twice with the alero. Not only are you not afflicted by most probs that every one else has but when you are, they get magically fixed the first time with a wave of a wand. I for one am envious.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    For those who cannot get a good alternator.. Bypass it

Get an aftermarket headlight harness from somewhere like suvlights.com. Another bonus is improved headlight performance in general which is mediocre at best on the Intrigue.
  • Options
    Hey, something could still go wrong with the new alternator, who knows. Mine was not too bad to begin with so I waited until the last possible moment to get it replaced.

I don't think I'm lucky, I think I am not unfortunate like you and some others. Most Intrigue owners are generally happy, you just tend to hear all the bad here. It's too bad the quality wasn't more consistent in the car because I love our car. Ok maybe I'm a little lucky.

As for the Alero, not much luck there. The car ranks near the top in initial quality and I have an 02 with an Ecotec power plant which is more reliable than the V6 or the 2.3L it replaced. Solid car. I worry about the Intrigue a little, don't worry about the Alero at all, it's been trouble free for the year and a half.
  • Options
    Got my car back. They replaced the ISS and also lubed it. My 00GL has a build date of 9/99, so it is an early 00. That might explain why it has had this issue. At 22000 miles 7/02 they did the ISS lube. It lasted for a little over 14000 miles. Hopefully, this will be a permanent fix. I hate to think that every 14 months or 14000 miles I will have to have this addressed. I am very happy, though. Dealer took great care of me and did the repair (out of warranty 36700 miles)at no charge. All is quiet, and car drives beautifully.

• Options
    Neighbor got an 01 with a v6 and just turn over 100,000. He is now coming to my garage for service since the 100,000 warranty mark.

To date
    first set of skins gone at 40,000 kms

several check engine lights with one under warranty and the others at $200 to $400 evry 6 months for sensors/modules/ harness, not sure as i was not involved.

Air condintioner toast after 65000kms, hasn't got it fixed or looked at.

Three sets of brakes with rotor turnings, only the first covered.

Wheel bearings shot at 75,000 replaced under warranty when i told him to go back cause '01 have powertrain to 100,000. Originally i think they told him about $500 a side. My motto, be informed, if you don't ask , you don't get.

Of coarse most of the above are typical of gm, shame really cause i don't think they will be very popular in ten years or less. People today won't put up with the north american poor quality crap that our parents did. They will move on to offshore models and take their chances.

Loyality doesn't ring anymore as a lot of people see the lack of loyality from the manufacturers and say "i'am not going to buy N.A. again just cause its N.A."
  • Options
    None of that stuff is typical Alero let alone "typical GM". It's a lemon, plain and simple. My parents just traded in their 99 Alero (a early first year car) and had none of that. They never even changed the brake pads after the 66K kms.

You are right though, if I had a car like that, I'd be looking to another manufacturer. Statistically however, GM isn't very far behind the best Japanese makers these days and I'll take statistics over a one off case anyday. My neighbor had a his Accord transmission blow up a year but I certainly don't believe that Honda's are crap.
  • Options
    I'm a bit ticked at GM right now, although if I could afford a CTS, I probably would have bought one. The Intrigue was a brilliantly engineered car that seems to have been marred by shoddy build quality and low quality from outsourced parts. The funny thing is, it's platform mates built at the Ontario plant(Century, Regal, and Impala) don't have anywhere near the problems the Intrigue and last gen Grand Prix(also built where the Intrigue was) did. And had the dealers(2 of them) been able to correct my problems on the first visit or at least shown some interest in trying to get them resolved, I'd probably still be driving the car now. Prior to the Intrigue, I had an 89 Olds Touring Sedan which had over 100K on it when I traded it. Despite all the electronic doo dads on that car(it was basically a Cadillac in Oldsmobile clothes) I didn't have the problems with it that the Intrigue was having. I often said, my Intrigue seemed more like it had 135K rather than 35K on the clock. I've got to take the Lincoln in for one minor problem I've noticed, so I'll put Lincoln-Mercury's service department to the test soon. Back to the flickering headlights, hope that tighter ground fixes it, but only time and cooler weather will tell. Mine used to "wink" to the point that oncoming traffic would flash their lights at me. Once I was behind a cop and she started flickering big time. I purporsely turned down a side street so that I wasn't behind the cop for long.

As for N.A. quality, I haven't become a Ford convert yet, but I am impressed with the Lincoln's build quality. Then again, the CTS(and Cadillacs in general) have impressed me as well so it may just be that being higher dollar cars, they are better built. While I think the Taurus is a dog compared to the Intrigue(as well as many other midsize sedans) I would be curiuous to see how it compares in reliability to the Intrigue. I still think GM has an edge in engineering and design, but from some recent Ford products I've tested(the LS and Explorer) they seem to be pretty serious about putting the cars together well. And whats really going to be interesting to see are the next generation Chrysler products as we are going to finally start seeing some fruits of the Diamler-Chrysler merger.
  • Options
    Maybe eastern canada is different being the tailpipe of N.A. but just about every gm car i work on has the above problems. Brakes, disentegtrating rusty or warped rotors, wheelbearings, blower motor resistors, Ac's and wind noises. Not to mention the leaky intake probs with the V6's and now with the plastic ones on the impala.

There are other Gm forum sites on the web(not as good as edmunds) and although i am not aloud to list them here(rules) they are out there and their participants generally have a beef with GM and the issuses i have noted. Call up your local dealer and ask them the quanity of their stock for pads, rotors, wheel bearings and blower motor resistors.

The rental place that was giving me rentals when the trig was in the hospital told me when i returned a impala with a bad driver bearing that they have a lot of gm bearing probs before their 35,000 klic limit. Albeit, their rentals, however, with further questioning he said it was mainly gm with the bad bearings.

To have not had these problems, as well your family, i still consider you lucky. Any chance of adopting me..

I guess we will agree to disagree. LOL
  • Options
    Even though my 00 has not been perfect, I am still happy with it. I plan to drive it many more years. It's still a good looking, good driving car.

• Options
    Maybe the harder winters or dampness out there are hard on some GM vehicles. I can tell you that our family and my wifes family have all had a number of GM vehicles and none have had any of these "typical GM problems" you speak of. I don't think working in a garage and making an observation is a scientific way to prove GM cars all have issues either, but I guess if I was in your shoes I might think the same thing.

Hey, GM cars aren't perfect or the best but they certainly aren't as bad as you make them out to be either.
  • Options
    My Impala has the same clip clop suspension that my Intrigue had.
    Shim kit and ISS have helped but not completley.
    Wish i had known aout the shim kit when i had the intrigue.
  • Options
    jjpowell2jjpowell2 Member Posts: 91
    Just want to let anyone know that our noise was eliminated when our tie rods were replaced. We had a noise that almost sounded like the engine was rocking on its mounts when driving at slow speeds on uneven roads. The dealer first replaced the struts, brake caliper clips, ISS replacement and finally they found the tie rods were bad. Guess it's hard to know they are shot until you take them off.

We have the 5 year, 100,000 mile warranty so don't worry about GM picking up the tab on repairs until they get it done right.
  • Options
    "Maybe the harder winters or dampness out there are hard on some GM vehicles. I can tell you that our family and my wifes family have all had a number of GM vehicles and none have had any of these "typical GM problems" you speak of. I don't think working in a garage and making an observation is a scientific way to prove GM cars all have issues either, but I guess if I was in your shoes I might think the same thing.

Hey, GM cars aren't perfect or the best but they certainly aren't as bad as you make them out to be either. "

Dindak by that same reasoning:

I don't think using my immediate family and making an observation is a scientific way to prove GM cars all don't have issues but if I was in your shoes I might think the same thing.

Hey, GM cars aren't perfect or the worst but they certainly aren't as good as you make them out to be either. "
  • Options
    Absolutely true, my family example is not scientific, but I also know that JD Power and Associates have shown year after year that GM quality and durability has been above average and closing in on Honda / Toyota. I was only using my family as a counter example.

I base my view on statistics which don't lie (though they may not be exact). You can believe what you like (and maybe if I was in your shoes I would also), but if the cars were as bad as you claim they are no one would buy them, me included.
  • Options
    cy64cy64 Member Posts: 2
    dpete4 -- If the outside temp increases, (which the computer sensed when you installed new sensor) the displayed temp will not update until (1)- drive over 20 mph for 1 1/2 minutes.. (2)- drive 45 mph for 1 minute, (3)- car off for more than 3 hours. Probably explains delay in correct reading.
  • Options
    The low-pitched, "trembling" sound I referred to doesn't come from the steering, but actually from the brakes, I just found out this morning. Can anybody shed some light into this, if possible?

TIA
  • Options
    Either warped rotors or front wheel bearings need to be replaced.
  • Options
    But the noise happens only sometimes and AFTER I release the brake pedal. I'm saying that it happens at low speeds, but at higher speeds it would be much background noise to hear the groan...
  • Options
    shanianshanian Member Posts: 26
    Was in Cleveland yesterday. Saw SRX,XLR,GTO,Cobalt,Equinox,SSR,Aveo etc parked.
    Drove 'Vette,Hummer,CTS, BMW3er. Malibu'04
    Along with MDX,Maxima,Altima,Saab 9-5 9-3. Escalade,Rainier,GP-GT, L300.Pilot HL, Vue.
    Passed on E Class, C Class, Lexus LX 470.(length of queue, and chances of my actually buying them)
    Corvette experience was very very impressive. May be now I will begin to get it. The course for the vette started with a straight run for may be 200 yds. I am not good with these kind of distances. but you could mash it as hard as you wanted, then a sharp left turn followed by a nice meandering slalom part, then you repeat the whole process once more, then you gett off with a wide grin on yur face. I couldn't tell what my max speed would have been, but one of the friendly 'help' said 'oh You can get up to 70 on the vette course'. May be 50- 55 for me I do not know.
    The Hummer was also fun. It was an 'off road' course, where first you go up a hill with your nose pointed straight up. Since you can go no higher, you figure it is time to come down. You are pointed straight at the ground. I guess this illustrates approach and departure angles for the great unwashed. Then you go through a right hand bank at a very steep angle where you feel you will topple over sideways, then you are done.
    MDX, Pilot are two products where GM does not have a credible entry. SRX probably more expensive and RDV not quite as competent. (though a good value). The Nox couldn't come sooner, as atleast it will help saturate the market with 3-4 entries(nox,vue,Rdv,Srx,vibe).

The 04 Malibu, looked a lot better than pictures, again should help the fight with multiple entries, even if not a super hit, with Bu and Imp. like Altima and Maxima. The LT V6 had good fit and finish,interior and solid feel. Compared to Alero, rear seating looked a lot more spacious. The course was just enough for you to get a feel for the car, not an actual test drive.At least enoght to get you to the dealer for a real test drive of a 24 hr one. Did not see a Max.

CTS of course, does n't need my endorsement. Considering you get a more lux and performance for 3er price. With 2 other potential halo cars in SRX and XLR, CTS should go for volume now IMHO. I am sure every visitor drove the CTS,(they had 4-5 of these vs. 1 each of the competition C E , 3& 5) so we should see a bump in sales now? I guess we will run into how many like it vs how many can afford it.
    My only complaint, (do they allow complaints in heaven) No Lincoln LS and no veggie food.
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Where in Cleveland was this?? What was the event? My wife and I love going to Cleveland. We would have driven up there for something like that!
  • Options
    cy64--Your analysis was right on. None of the three criteria you described were met when I first concluded that the sensor replacement was ineffective. The next day it worked perfectly just as you said it would. Your knowledge of this situation is quite impressive. Thanks for sharing it with me. I'm now informed and happy as can be.
  • Options
    ian18ian18 Member Posts: 133
    I also need to replace this sensor and purchased the same one (Part # 10248414) today, although it seems to be more expensive than reported, at $12.09.

Now that I am trying to install it, I cannot locate where it goes. I recall someone posting that it is on the right side of the engine, is this from the perspective of standing in front or from the driver's seat? In any case, I looked around throughout the engine compartment and could not find the old one. Any help would be appreciated, I have the 3.8 engine.
  • Options
    shanianshanian Member Posts: 26
    append the word .com and look for it. The current one finishes by Sunday, and you have to register in advance. Chicago is coming up in Oct or so. And then a few other cities. I think Miami FL not OH.
  • Options
    I live in Cleveland and I HAVE NO CLUE what that post about Cleveland was about. I will say, that I have decided that after the Vette, or any Cadillac with the Northstar, the Intrigue is the finest car GM has come out with in years, and woe to the moron who discontinued the 3.5 shortstar.
  • Options
    ian18--Read message 10100 bycy64. He describes where the sensor is located. It is easily viewed and accessed from below.
  • Options
    dekesterdekester Member Posts: 322
    Again to prove the nun's comments that I never paid attention in class....

searched for DRL topics in this forum looking for the bulb # and couldn't find the specific post I wanted. Right turn signal flashed at like 6X normal speed this morning and a visual showed the right turn directional/DRL was not flashing.

What's the bulb#? Want to go to Pep Boys at lunch and get a pair so I can have some "fun" replacing them tonight.

Thanks, and I'll remember to keep my ears open, Sister!

Deke
  • Options
    I had a post back at #9796 about DRL bulbs and i believe there were a few before and after.

You can just punch the # in the "go to Message box" at the bottom, or the top. Of coarse you probably already know that.

Happy hunting