Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,075
    ..."soccer mom" might be next. :)

I wouldn't take it personally. I think it was a bit of an overreaction by someone.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    Htwire ::: Sorry if you thought that comment to dindak was unkind or out of line. It was intended to invoke the possibility that maybe, one was simply portraying a close minded attitude. Kind of like that old line of; "Don't confuse me with the facts, jack".

Also the night that I was checking out the Intrigues close-out red-tag-signs at my old dealer lot, I did venture over to Borders bookstore, but I did not have enough cash on-hand [plus was not sure I wanted to drop $24 on the book]. But rest assured I will get to the library this week, to see if it is available.

Would love to know if those who have install Michelin Pilots, are satisfied. Thinking about doing the same in a year or so, to help improve the handling a bit from my MXV. I have always had good luck with Michelins or Goodyear. Firestone now that's another series of stories, I now refuse to buy anything that has Firestones on them.

I've seen the Altima out front of a Nissan parking lot, boy I think it is sharp looking. Just wonder if the interior is as bad as some people have commented.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    I bought mine used with 23K miles from a GM dealer. He may have put on new rubber because not only is there more than .25" of tread, the little nibs from the mold sprues are still intact. I think those would be gone after 26K miles.

I agree that you probably can't go wrong with Michelins.
  • htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    I went to the dentist yesterday, great fun! Got to read the new Car and Driver; it had an article comparing BMW's $70,000 M5 with an Australian version of the Catera. This Australian rework of the Catera platform created some kind of performance sedan. Cost in U.S. dollars would be $50,000. Quarter mile time was 13.7 seconds. Zero to 60 was in the low 5 second range. In other words Z28 Camaro numbeers. Of course this Australian rocket is not available in the U.S. This would be a Cadillac I would be interested in.
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    jgriff : "Also the night that I was checking out the Intrigues close-out red-tag-signs at my old dealer lot," - I told you you couldn't let the car go.

ab348 : Glad you liked the Intrigue. It's the same thing that happened to me. One drive and I was in love. When our GP died in a crash, I bought our 2000 and have never regretted it. The 3.5L is a gem!
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    My personal favorite are the Michelin Pilot XGT. You can get them in "H" rating (H4) or "V" rating (V4). I think they may even come in a "Z" rating. I had them for about 40k miles. I loved them!!!

Over on the Buick Regal thread they are asking the same thing. Someone likes the Michelin X-1's. I will check them out. But I think I'll stick with a winner and get another set of Pilots.
    >>The dash could use a little more trim I think, maybe some brightwork around the gauges or some wood or contrasting material on the dash somewhere.>>

I ordered my wood dash kit but it won't be here until about Tuesday. First the company claimed that the order never went thru due to a problem with their site. After I proved to them that it did go thru and I had an order number they got to work creating the kit (it wasn't in stock so they're making it) and promised to knock off the $10 next day delivery I paid for. I plan on posting before and after pictures. Despite the problem I had, they redeemed themselves. They called me to say that there was a problem with the order and volunteered to knock off the delivery charge. Plus they're about $80 cheaper than Joshua Wood Trim, the only other company on the net to have the pattern I wanted.

If you want to see the pattern, click here.

• evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Do not assume that you cannot go wrong with Michelin, or with any other brand, whether it's a tire or something else!

For instance, my Stratus came with Michelin MXV and I was very, very happy when it came the time to replace them. They had very poor traction on wet pavement, were quite noisy and squealed too easily around corners.

The replacement was BF Goodrich Radial T/A, and what a change! They had none of the previous Michelin's defects. And 30% cheaper than the cheapest Michelin at the store, including the replaced ones. Interestingly, they're made by Michelin...

I have the impression that Michelin low-end tires are plain "cheap", in the figurative sense. I think that they make some pretty good performance tires and hope that their reputation gets transferred to the whole line-up. In other words, they count on hype!
  • jgriffjgriff Member Posts: 362
    You are absolutely correct, I have not yet completely let go of the Intrigue mystic. Why do you think I'm still here, just to keep you company bug the heck out of you?

To me I can't help but think my that my '98 Intrigue was like a great golf shot, "close but NO cigar". And yes, I often find myself wondering IF I had waited a couple of years [especially for the 3.5] would I'd been made happy camper [who knows for sure].

Life's a [non-permissible content removed], and then you die. Right?

I was extremely disappointed in the fact my ex-dealer, has now scoop to the level of adding on over-priced 3rd-party frills. This was not their style back in 1999.
  • white6white6 Member Posts: 588
    vcjumper... I agree about the color combo. My wife, however, thought she would tire of it eventually. I like it more every time I see it; maybe cause I don't see it very often(?)
    Imacmil... The 3.5 Intrigue has an "internal" oil filter. If you look at the bottom of the oil pan, you will see a "plug" shaped like a small oil filter that is flush with the bottom of the pan. Using a standard oil filter socket, remove this plug and the filter will come out with the plug. I have had a little trouble finding filter elements in stock at the local parts stores; I usually call ahead.
    htwired... Holden builds a bunch of cars off of this platform and not all of them are right-hand drive! My latest issue of GM High Tech Performance describes their offerings in Saudi Arabia. Milder version of the car you read about in Car and Driver, but it's left-hand drive and in the $25,000 price range. Imagine, a four door sedan the size of the Intrigue with rear drive (independent rear suspension), LS1 V-8 power (312-hp!) and a six speed manual transmission. Whoo Hoo! GM has a great model line, they just won't sell them here! Arrrggggghhh!
    evandro : I am a big fan of BF Goodrich tires. I think they are generally under rated. We had them on our Grand Prix and they were very nice.

jgriff : "Why do you think I'm still here, just to keep you company bug the heck out of you?" - I'm sure the thought crosses all our minds more than occasionally.

White6 : Holden makes very cool cars. Too bad you can't import them.
  • htwiredhtwired Member Posts: 62
    Mosaix when you get your GM tech scan tool please post on its capabilities. I have no idea as to what settings can be modified on the Intrigue, but it would be great information. Thanks White6 if GM is serious about redefining its image the Holden performance vehicles would certainly help. Evandro thanks for the link. I should have ordered my copy of Ghost Soldier on line. I paid full retail at Borders, something I rarely do, but even at full retail Ghost Soldier is a book worth owning. This group certainly is a prolific group of writers. Hard to read every post. Drive safely everyone.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    I don't know the number. I'm sorry. I was able to scan through them at a non-gm . As soon as it's replaced, I'll let you know the part number or I can try to get the TSB number if that helps. I look forward to some improvement, even shallow gutters bottom it out.

Are there simpler patterns one2one for the Intrigue? I don't want all that wood but I would like some trim on the center console and the doors. What flavor are you going with? The real rosewood is okay but I like the real burlwood in the aurora better.

I think I'll order the sway bars from grandprixstore.com and see if they'll fit. I didn't know that the Intrigue had thicker sway bars. I did know that the Intrigue has unique struts (I saw the struts underneath and they say Intrigue on em).

I think I'll fork out the $400 for Michelin Pilot XGTH4 or whatever they are too. I decided I'm going to put a little money into the vehicle and keep it another year until it's outta warranty. I hope the improvements will make me want to keep her even longer.

My buddy lent his digital camera to another friend so I'm just waiting until he gets it back so I can post pictures of the new icon/insignia placement. It sure looks sharp. My car is forest green and really could be washed every day because it gathers visible dust. I like darker colored cars, especially on Intrigues but have heard just the opposite from some. I do think the lighter blue they discontinued was nice.

I wonder if we couldn't tweak our 3.5s to get 255hp like the new Maxima. Everyone that's been in my car says it has great pickup but I'd like to be even more impressed when I press the pedal. Freeway ramps are her favorite, especially when it's all clear. Once it hits 3500... I feel like the power is infinite and explosive.

Dindak and JGriff need a bicker board all to themselves. Geez.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    If you get the sway bars, make sure you order the appropriate polyeurethane bushings. You will have a really nice handling machine!

Let us know how it goes. I'm waiting on ordering a front STB until you find out if it fits :-). I don't want to pay import duties then have to go sell it at a small loss if I don't have to.

I wish GM didn't dump the 3.5, given it VVT and a slightly higher compression ratio, and a 5 speed auto. I would rather have either one of those than PCS.

You could try gutting your airbox to get more air through it. It looks like a lot of plastic is in there that doesn't really need to be (thus the tiny dirt spot on the air filter and clean paper everywhere else). Take a dremel tool to it! I've always wanted to do that. If worse comes to worse, a new factory airbox could be put in..
    Keep in mind, you attacked me and I apologized for any misunderstanding. I believe I am a clean participant on this board. If you have a personal beef with me, please e-mail me direct at dindak@canada.com so we can clear it up.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I really am insisting that all the negative personal comments cease.

From here on, if any post contains any comment that can in any way be construed as such, it will be removed, regardless of what other on-topic, helpful or in any other way redeeming content it may present. Consider this fair and final warning.

Most of us know that there is a history of strife in here, and we are simply not going to revisit that.

I also don't want to see any more "explanatory" posts, "you said this first, so I said that," "I didn't mean what you thought I meant," or any other explanations or discussions of personal feelings about each other. Either keep your message on-topic, about the vehicles only, and word your message in a civil and respectful manner, or expect that it will be removed.

If anyone has anything further to say about this, please feel free to contact me off-line. Otherwise, let's just move on and stay on topic and within the Membership Agreeement.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • ratoxratox Member Posts: 12
    Latest official GM burial dates for their finest division:

GM Announces Revised Oldsmobile Product Lifecycle Plans - 09/07

http://media.gm.com/division/olds/index.html

• mosaixmosaix Member Posts: 106
    This is a sad day in American history. I just don't get it and I probably never will. I guess 2002 will be the last year of the full line-up. Once the Intrigue and Aurora V6 are gone, sales will fall as the division with not have a car in the "middle class." You'll go from the lower priced Alero to the high priced Aurora V8. They might as well just shut the doors and let Saturn have the Alero(that division needs a stylish car), Buick have the Aurora V8(the Park Avenue is aging) and Cadillac have the Bravada(they need a smaller SUV to compete with the Lincoln version of the Explorer which Ford is planning). Every time I drive my I Intrigue, I wonder why more people did not consider this excellent sedan and the funny thing is quite a few people at work who have seen my new car have commented on how good looking it is. I guess the excellent 3.5 liter V6 is going by the way too.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    And there were people who thought that they would still be building them in 2005. I still say that 2003 will be it.
    Still haven't seen it in the flesh, but I was able to spot it on the Intrigue website and the color there looks for all the world like the medium blueish-green GM used on a lot of Grand Ams and the like back in '95 or '96. Not sure it would be my first choice but I'll reserve judgement until I see one.

I was hoping they would come out with something like an ice blue metallic or a pale green metallic.

I'm still intrigued enough after my rental on Thursday that I went into the dealer today and picked up a 2002 Intrigue brochure. It appears that the sunroof is standard on the GLS now (wasn't it always an option?) and the Tropic Teal is also used on the Alero for '02. From the brochure picture it doesn't do much for me. Incidentally, the Alero also lost Midnight Blue and has no Indigo offered. Blue Aleros are no more. Intrigues are offered in sterling, white, black, sandstone, bronzemist, ruby red, indigo blue and tropic teal for '02.

The picture of the GLS interior upholstery doesn't look at all like the picture someone here posted a link to a while back. Far from being light and dark, the differences are much more subtle in the brochure. In beige ("neutral", an awful name) part of the leather is perforated. The gray GLS doesn't get that but is also 2-toned. Apparently the neutral GLS interior has some wood accents whle the gray GLS interior gets some brushed aluminum trim. Unfortunately there are no pics of either.

There was a new Bravada there in Indigo and if that's the color it is a nice one. The only '02 Intrigue I saw has PCS and it has a badge on the trunk under the Oldsmobile name. First one of those I've seen. Anyone here have PCS? Worth the money? I see you do let a lower axle ratio so off-the-line pickup might be a bit better.

• redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    At least it sounds like the Aurora V8 and Bravada will still be available at the end of next year when my wife will be looking for a new vehicle. Those are the only GM vehicles we will probably consider, except for possibly the Envoy. Nothing else in GM's stable is appealing.
    The sunroof came with the PCS package on my 2001 GLS. According to the brochure, it was not available as a stand alone option on the GLS model but came only with the PCS package. Same with the rear spoiler and chrome wheels. With the Intrugue and Aurora V6 going away after 2002, they might as well go ahead and close their doors. Alero customers who want to move up probably won't be able to make the jump to an Aurora V8. Aurora V8 customers can spend just a bit more and get a Cadillac and the impressive looking Cadillac CTS will be priced nearly dead even with the Aurora 4.0. Bravada customers can just get a GMC Envoy SLT which actually has a few a extra features the Bravada does not. And a long wheelbase Envoy is coming soon.
  • arnie82arnie82 Member Posts: 27
    Has anyone out there had the transmission selector indicator (shows P,R,N,D,1,2,3) flicker? Noticed it the other day, also the traction control light was on. Pressed the switch several different times for the traction control to come back on, after several attempts (as per the owners manual) it went out. Getting too damn close to the end of the warranty for this crap...
    Anybody else?
    Just saw a silver 2002 GL at my old olds dealer. It had the new lighter grey interior.
    I walked over to it and the window sticker said 20 mpg city and 30 mpg hwy. What is up with that?
    My '99 was rated at 27 mph hwy. with the 3.29 gear. The 2000s and later were rated at 28 mpg with the 3.05 gear.
    Where did the other 2 mpg come from. Did olds put a 2.56 in it?
    Anybody have any answers about this change?
    Found some links for intrigue tire upsizing and aftermarket accessories. I will post them tomorrow.
    bz4 : I think my 2000 was rated at 28 or 29. They must have tweaked it a bit for the last year record. Sad. The 3.5L is such a great engine.

mosaix : Saw pictures of the extended Envoy. Looks very cool. Check it out in the new Car & Driver issue out now.

ab348 : I will pick up a 2002 brochure also. I have 2 x 2000 brochures both mint. Should make a nice collector item some day. Last of the Oldsmobiles.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Too bad, but may be able to replace my Dodge Caravn POS with a Sillouette in '04(?)

Wonder if Lutz has driven any of Olds offerrings. If so he'd have to ask Ronnie "what the hell
    are you doing killing of these great cars". In the end the bean counters won.
    In the end, I don't think GM can reverse this decision any more. They would look foolish and probably face all kinds of new legal and logistical problems. Maybe some day they should reserect the name for a special vehicle to be sold at Chevy dealers or something. I hope the name always lives strong and proud.

We actually are talking about leasing an Alero if we decide the we can do with out a van/SUV for another 3 years of lease time. I have C$2000 credit and $800 in GM Visa points so it would be a good deal. It's really the only Oldsmobile we can afford to add to our Intrigue.
    The silhouette is not a great vehicle either. My old olds dealer used them for shuttle vehicles and the were rattley and flimsy feeling. I would pass on that.
  • lss1lss1 Member Posts: 21
    1999-3.8 engine--31K
    last few weeks has started to stall at lights etc..about to bring in for service
    has anyone had this problem????
    I thought the Silhouette was nice, but it's seems like a big premium to pay for a dressed up Chevy Venture. You can't judge it by a ride in a shuttle though. God only knows what they do to the thing, it's worse than a rental car. My neighbor has a Venture and loves it. He had a Winstar before and traded it in as it had too many problems.
    lss1 - many of the stalling problems with the Intrigue have been linked to faulty crankshaft sensors. I've had mine replaced.
    dindak: I've got brochures for '99 Intrigue, '01 Aurora and '02 Bravada. I'm holding on to mine too!
    I've got the full line catalog for 1991,92,93, Aurora brochure for 95,98,01, and Intrigue and Alero brochures for 99,00,01. And a 2002 Bravada brochure. I need to stop by the dealer and pick up some 2002 brochures on the Intrigue and Alero.
  • dwgdwg Member Posts: 43
    Anyone else receive the Olds Ryder Cup promotional package lately? Test drive any '01 or '02 Olds and you get a dozen Strata golf balls with the Ryder Cup logo on them (the way I play, they wouldn't last long in the bag so I'd have to keep them as collector's items).

I'm tempted to test drive an Aurora 4.0 and a Bravada just for the heck of it. I suppose I could lease one for 3 years and sell the Intrigue.

dwg
    I wonder if the new green color on the intrigue is the same as the green pearl metallic i saw on a '02 impala? If it is its a great color.
  • 63636363 Member Posts: 8
    At 50k miles; it's strong like bull, 3.5 is breathing great and the new rubber XGTs are vibration-free up to the top end..

Front end is noisy; but what else is new!!!!

Engine has not needed any tweaking since new, same alternator, same crankshaft sensor, and same battery.. One flat tire but the extended warranty blew it right back up and we did the Michelin route.. The LSs were great; little noisy but for OEM grade they did the job..

My Intrigue opinion-fun car-bad resale-no more Intrigues for this driver.. Let's not forget, I had a 98 Intrigue for 26k miles..not too much fun; but was a free ride, so no complaints!!!

The transmission is still smoooooth..Engine start is one twist and it connects..

Gas mileage is suffering; need a new filter..24 mpg is not great; but new element should pop the gain by 2/3mpg..Gas in Mich has been brutal; 87 octane 1.70 and quality seems to be marginal..

See teo has left the panel; more time to polish the Impala...
    6363 : Nice to hear from you again. Teo definitely loves that Impala. Nice car, but not my bag (as Austin Powers would say). Gas up here is back up to 65-70 cents/ liter for regular. Ouch.

mosaix : I wish I had been more diligent in collecting Olds brochures. I guess since I never thought Oldsmobile would die there was no real reason. Previously I had just collected the brochures of cars I owned.

By the way.. I didn't realize you were only 26. You are now the youngest Intrigue owner on the board I believe.
    Zowwie, Batman! $1.70 for regular?! Over here in the PA,NJ,DE we're looking at about $1.31 to $1.39 in Phily. About a dime cheaper in Jersey.
    I think gas prices may go through the roof now. Very sad day for world humanity and especially the U.S.
    This is a horrible act of cowardice. I hope to God that whoever is responsible is found.
  • 63636363 Member Posts: 8
    At 67, I remember the last time our shores were invaded.. The difference today is the attack happened from within our shores by offshore individuals..

Bad day for the world!!!!
    It is our century's Pearl Harbor. Our lives changed today and things we took for granted before, such as our freedom of movement and safety will be gone.
    I have a friend who works in the pentagon who says the next terrorist target will probably be our water supply. A chilling thought.
    I am just thankful my family is safe and my friends in NY are safe.
    A guy from my undergraduate class apparently works in the World Trade Center. I fear the worst as so many seem to be dead. b4z is right, I think the freedoms we enjoyed on this continent may be lost forever now. I am so sad and at a loss for words today. Things like this are so unimaginable to us that it will likely take weeks to come to grips with it all.
  • evandroevandro Member Posts: 1,108
    Another day that goes into history in infamy!
  • jussomeguyjussomeguy Member Posts: 1
    Yes - I'm saddened about WTC, and I feel bad everyone affected.

I am here however, as most of us were before this horrible day occurred, because I have a few questions about my Intrigue. (so please don't think I'm heartless for changing the subject)
    ~99 Intrigue 3800 GL

1. I had my front shocks replaced under warranty for squeeking at about 28k, now my back are starting to squeek and I'm at almost 60k ... [I drive a couple hours a day], Does anyone know whats causing this problem? Do I need to pay to have them replaced, or is it just an annoyance issue?

2. I posted before as 'LilBadge' about my tranny problem. I had to pay $1500 for a Reman trans because my 'TCC was stuck off'. (unfortunately I can't recall the specific engine light code)
    I'm trying to get some help from GM warranty service, but I don't think they'll give me any of my money back. Has anyone had success with Customer Service in similar situations?

3. I get 21-22 MPG, basically always. When I'm on the freeway I apparently speed enough to make my car think I'm still in the city. Is this pretty normal? Oh yeah, and perhaps related, my insurance is higher than my friends WS6. (I pay 1800 every 6 months)
    Not sure about your tranny or shocks, but I have never managed to get more than 21 mpg in mixed city/highway driving. Even if I drive 75% on the highway my mileage won't get higher than that. But on 100% road trips I get around 28 mpg. Maybe starting and stopping the car for the city driving brings the mileage way down, even if it is a small percentage of your commute. Why is your insurance so high? It sounds like you must have tickets or accidents, and/or you are under 25 and a single male?
    $1800 for 6 months?? Where do you live and what is your driving record like. My insurance is less than $1000 annually on my Intrigue.
    Yesterday was a terrible tragedy for all Americans. I hope everyone who participates here is okay and that their family is alright.