Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-Class Sedans

Comments

• rugbugrugbug Member Posts: 7
    I have read every post so far and I couldn't wait to get to my nearest dealer to take a look at the new C240. I think I have decided to go with it and get one but I am a little hesitant as to what direction I should go with options and colors. Any input would be appreciated.

I think I like White the best with Java interior, any Pros or cons?

I really like the idea of the auto trans and enjoyed the ride but will I be missing out on some fun if I pass on the manual?

I definately will be getting C2 option and a CD. Do I really need anything else?

The car I test drove: Auto, Desert Silver, C2. I didn't miss any of the other options but then again I was only in the car for 15 minutes.

Any comments or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    How is the standard radio, speakers etc? I like my music but don't know if I should spend the extra cash for the bose.

Thanks,

RugBug
  • melbmelb Member Posts: 2
    I have now had my C320 (silver/charcoal, C2,C3,C4,C6,Xenon,CD) for 2 months and I have noticed that on several occasions my side mirrors have changed position without my intervention. I remember reading a posting or two where others have experienced this also. What was the remedy? Was the dealer able to determine the root cause and fix it or was it dismissed as an intermittent problem? Also, on two or three occasions I have seen the display for the radio and climate control flash. Has anyone else seen this? Any assistance would be appreciated.
  • cmg2cmg2 Member Posts: 1
    just ordered it yesterday and I am so excited, should be here in 8 weeks they tell me, better be, my lease is up. ordered the white with java, there was one in the showroom that looked great, ordered the sunroof, cd and bose with the 6mt. They threw in all weather mats, big deal.. the car we test drove had the regular sound system and it sounded horrible. the bose blew it away. for a couple extra bucks a month, it's worth it. can't wait!! ps my husband was in the back seat while I drove and he said boy it was FAST!! it was difficult finding an open road to even get the car into fourth gear, it was awesome!! I had a 300zx many years ago (pre-kids) and I have missed it ever since. This car definitely will replace my lost z, but still have room for the kids
    So you liked the manual, did you test an Auto as well?
  • mb_a_mustmb_a_must Member Posts: 32
    Thanks for the tip on the operation of the side mirror.I didn't know about that feature. Still have 8 more weeks for my car. The wait is killing me!

Its nice to see the interaction about picking out a color. All of them are nice, really nice. Its tough ... I ordered the Bordeux red w/ charcoal.

greg@thedailydonut.com
    I ended up with ordering the auto. For me I think its the way to go. I would just have to many problems trying to shift, listen to the radio, talk on the cell phone ... well you know what I mean.
    But I think the automatic allows you to shift gears manually if you want? You never know when your thinking (dreaming) that your on the autobahn!
    Can anyone else respond to this?
    greg@thedailydonut.com
  • djasonwdjasonw Member Posts: 624
    I hope you weren't kidding! My friend is on the phne RIGHT now calling San Diego dealers to find an amethyst C320! He's gonna have it shipped to Staten Island NY. Hopefully they still have it! Please let me know which dealer it was in case it was one out of the city.
  • zmeenowzmeenow Member Posts: 341
    the auto trans does allow one to hold the trans in a lower gear, shift up or down.. i use it often to get torque when i want it, rather than the auto trans deciding... is it just like a manual??? welllll no......but it still adds a fun factor to driving the car... incidentally 4th gear has quite a bit of torque... and i do a lot of "in town" driving in 4th gear... 5th gear.. which is like overdrive.... still has a good amount of torque to pass..at speeds pof 70 mph.. and up!
    re:all the color questions.. i dont think there is one "right" color.. which is why they have such an assortment of choices!.. but.. i would say if you are buying as opposed to leasing.. keep in mind that the more exotic colors will be harder to sell whenever you are ready to.on the other hand.. youll be able to drive a harder bargain for yourself.. for exactly the same reason.. dealers have a harder time selling those colors..and will give a better price.. caveat emptor!!
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    Thanks for the earlier reply! The dealer in SD is MB of San Diego, I haven't been in for a few weeks so it may be gone. My saleman said they'd have to discount $10k to sell it, didn't say they'd actually go that low. They've used it as a test drive car a bunch, it's been the only one on their lot. So I have no idea how many miles it has on it. As I said in the ealier post, I believe it had all options, including sport pac, except command, the sticker was something like $42k. If they really came down 10 or even $5k it'd be a steal for somebody who liked the color!! Let me know what your buddy finds out, my saleman was Ron Alvano great guy and he's the one that made the $10k discount comment. I hope he doesn't get mad at me!!! I've got the only Magma Red car they've sold, so he'll know who sent your buddy!
  • diwc240diwc240 Member Posts: 172
    I'm sure you will like the White with Java Int.
    sleake in this forum has White and there are a few others. If you goto Photo Gallery (Post #2) and click on my PhotoPoint.com link you will see approx. 20 photos and a few tables. The last 3 slides / images are a Database of many of the people in this forum. There is an options column along with Color etc...That might help you decide on options.

(click on Photos #24, 25, 26. There is an option to "View This Photo Full-Size", this format will allow you to read the details)

Depending on where you live the heated seats are very nice to have. I upgraded to the Bose in my C 240 6MT, definitely think it is worth it and went with C1, C2, C3, C4.

The 6MT is a Blast ! IMO.

I find the standard lights and high beams very bright, either that or my last car the lights were terrible. Lots of people have opted for the Xenon's, but they are $800.
  • kwest1kwest1 Member Posts: 12
    Recent heavy snow fall in Connecticut has brought the realization that my 2000 C230 does not perform well with all season radials. Does anyone have experience using tire chains on all season radials (as this alternative is less expensive than purchasing snow tires)?
  • newmbfannewmbfan Member Posts: 59
    Being a Viking fan, I wanted the purple. I tried to convince my wife that is was her birth stone and would be cool. No luck, Black for me!

I have about 4 coats of Zaino on the car now and about 1300 mile of city driving. NO DINGS or Chips.

I also like to park in the far coners of the lot. There seems to be another MB next to me when I get back.

The little light under the window switches comes on when the trunk is open.
  • anthonyv1anthonyv1 Member Posts: 26
    Ian, let's hear more about that six speed of yours! Have you put it through its paces? How does it perform on the hills with that funky emergency brake setup? I remember saying you were going to go out and practice when you got it. I actually drove the 6 speed not too long ago and while the emergency brake situation seemed to be a little different than what most of us are used to, it didn't seem like it would be that hard to get used to. True, I hope.

Have fun with your car.
  • michhalamichhala Member Posts: 375
    zmeenow,

Thanks for the info. I would like to find a shop to do the Zaino process for me. It is something I do not want to undertake. Perhaps the Zaino web site can help me with this.

Miki
    jay one,

My manual mentions the side mirrors folding and says to do so when bringing car to a car wash. I have never folded them, don't know if they do, but there has not been a problem at the car wash. I do not find instructions in the manual on how to fold them.

Miki
    Melb,

I experienced this with my 320 side mirrors, too, on a consistent basis. This went on for first two months. The last month it has been O.K., but it may be a result of three days in the shop when they tried to fix other things wrong with the seat memory. Holding down the memory button brought mirrors back to where they were set; sometimes I just reprogrammed the whole position.

The dealer did call this an intermittent problem, but I found a problem that was not intermittent. The solution for all the woes, as told to me, was to disable the Exit mode.

As far as Climate Control, once in a while it would change temperatures when I used the Smart key, but no flashing.

Miki
  • dawindawin Member Posts: 15
    Yes I notice that on my car also.
    I am bringing it to the dealer tomorrow morning to fix the loose seat, bad vibartion from the engine during cold start(after the first minute or so),rattles from the rear passanger door, misalignment and i will mention this problem also.
    This new Benz has more problems than my Accord.
    My friend spoke with the dealer and the car you mentioned was indeed sold less than a week ago. They ended up selling it for $1,500 under sticker according to the dealer. Thanks for the info. One thing is for sure.... you and I have VERY rare colors!!
    i have found that most better places that do "hand car wash" will use whatever polish you want... but will ask for an appt.... the zaino.. to be most efefective.. needs to be applied several times creating a layer of very shiny wet looking surface!. needs to be applied.. then allow to dry and set for a 24 hr period,then reappied... its more time consuming... but the results are excellent.. needs to be done 2x a yr basically... there are several other good products out there.. but i can tell you that the zaino.. when used properly.. totally eliminated all those tiny spider web lines that one sees..especially in the darker colors/
    I'm at 750 miles after 3 weeks, and have not put the C 240 thru its paces yet, will have to wait till 1000 miles completed. I find in 2nd, it is easy to hit 5000 RPM and only have done that a couple times (by mistake). Been trying to keep the revs on acceleration below 4000 RPM. It's like rehab after an injury, gotta take it easy (for another 250 miles...LOL).

Hills are not a problem as I find the clutch and gear shift so much more smoother & easier than my previous 5 speed (Outback). Have not used the parking brake for that. I also have not been on really steep hills from a stop though.

The one thing I have to remind myself is, when I do park, shift back into Neutral first, then foot off the clutch, apply the Parking Brake and then put the TX back into 1st and then I turn off the engine, after flipping thru a few console display screens.

(I'm an Engineer that used to operate 25,000 HP Navy Gas Turbines GE LM2500s and Pratt & Whitney FT4's and we had numerous computer display screens: Main Lube Oil, L.P. & H.P. Turbine speeds, temps, vibration levels, so I am right at home with the MB Console Displays and Love them !!!)

Can't wait till the 1000 Mile barrier, but I will still be prudent...
    djasonw:
    If your still looking for that amethyst c320 they have one in the showroom at MB of Naperville (suburb of Chicago). I did buy car from them and they seem to be doing a good job. If your going to ship this to NY it might cut down on your freight charges compared to San Diego. Ouch!
    Good Luck
    greg@thedailydonut.com
    djasonw: Millennium MB (Bridgewater, NJ ask for Ed C.) also has an Amethyst 320 with Sport. It has been their demo Sport, so I believe it will have well in excess of 3000 miles on it by now. I think most of the Dealers received an Amethyst 320 Sport as a Demo.
  • dcman2dcman2 Member Posts: 24
    folks,

I am getting ready to purchase a 2001 MB. I am not able to make up my mind between C320 and E320. From all the discussions I perused thus far, seems like C320 needs to mature a little bit. As a new model, seems like, it has a bunch of minor problems here and there. But E320 has been there for a few years. In terms of reliability, in my opinion, E320 should score better. In terms of performance though they should be on par since both carry the same engine. I'll be going to the dealership next week or so to compare the vehicles. But in your opinion, how is E better than C to justify the premium of 7K or so?
    Thanks to all who replied! I told my friend and he will followup on your leads. If he gets a good deal, he may go forward with it.
  • dennettdennett Member Posts: 332
    I'm a very happy C owner, C240 that is. If I were paying 42-44k for a Benz, I'd try to get an E at $44-45k. The main reason being the added size, the E is bigger everywhere, especially the back seat and trunk. If you plan on regularly carrying adults in back go E. I've heard there are dealers discounting Es by $3k now, maybe more this summer. I do think the C is a better looking car and has the newest MB features, but the reality is it's a step below the E. I've heard several people here say that when their leases are up on their new C they'll be moving up to an E.
    I know that the dealers are giving great incentives on the E as they're changing the body style pretty soon. But that's not the reason as I have a feeling potential E buyers are shopping the C. I hear you can get an E for $650 a month and VERY little down. I'd NEVER buy the current E model as it just doesn't suit me. When my lease is up on my new C, I may consider the new E. As far as problems are concerned, well I haven't had any yet but I only have had it for 3 weeks. I'll be sure to mention any problems if they should arise.
  • benz747benz747 Member Posts: 91
    Few post back I mentioned that my dealer offered me C240 (Silver) Auto with C2 option for $34,860 out of door, called me next day and said he forgot to add Auto TX price while calculating out of door price for me, I told him it is not a deal as what you are giving me is all MSRP and I am not interested - he said OK he will sell that car to the next one on the list (this was 1 week back) I don't even paid $ 1000 to be on their list - now he called me today and said dealer will throw CD free of charge but I still have to PAY MSRP - my question to you guys (the build date will be 1st April and delivery May 1st week)

1. is it a good deal?
    2. are dealers are now more open for negotiaons
    3. are they doing this to make room for 2001 Models coming soon in August/September

reading few posts back regarding E.; is per-owned E. is better than C ? (I know you guys will tear me apart for this question) but since this will be my first MB I want to be sure of everything

thanks in advance guys
    What does this service cost at this time? When I purchase my C240 if I do not subscribe to the service will any of the buttons still work (SOS, Information, Roadside)?

Thanks
    RugBug
  • fedssocrfedssocr Member Posts: 90
    Considering that some people are already getting a free CD with their cars anyway this is probably not an especially great deal, but it is a savings of $800 or so over what most dealers are charging for the CD. I think it really depends on how big a hurry you are in. Obviously your dealer was not able to sell the car to "the next guy on the list" or he wouldn't have come back to you with a sweeter deal. Sounds like you are in the driver's seat, as it were. If you're not in a rush why not string him along a bit longer and see if he will further sweeten the deal? If he's willing to do this for you now, chances are he'll be able to do even more in the future.
    Tele Aid (SOS), Roadside assistance (Wrench) and Information (I) are included in the first year.
    You get 30 mins. included with the purchase of your new C. The MB Brochure for Tele Aid then shows a rate of approx. $200 (I believe) to continue to subscribe to the service in year 2.
    I'll check the brochures this evening.
  • blehrlichblehrlich Member Posts: 92
    You can always buy one better. If someone looking for a loaded E class (430) for example, they could spend slightly more (very slightly if leasing due to higher residual) and get an S430.

The bottom line is this...get what YOU like. Picture yourself down the road...will you have buyer's remorse? Don't take the fun out of the whole thing by not getting what you want.
    thanks for the quick update guys - ya I realized that throwing a CD is very much common now a days and I am not at all in hurry :) I would prefer to wait and try to get that CAR below MSRP. about E. class only I wanted to ask is I have saw some per-owned E. class on their lot with sticker 36-38 K (with 30-36 K Miles) - of cource C is a cute car and for that price I will get a brand new C240, is it a wise decision to go far a per-owned E. rather than brand new C?
  • nankynanky Member Posts: 75
    Both of these are fine cars and justifying an additional $7K for an E comes down to preference and practicality. I tried to get my wife to buy either an E320 or E430 but she feels more comfortable driving the C because of its size. Realizing this is a very active owners club, a lot of useful information is shared about to-date experiences with C240's and C320's. Exponentially, I don't believe the problems are any more unusual than they would be with any other newly designed vehicle. I am sure if there were such an active owners club when the E class was released, it would have been no different. You won't go wrong with either one after weighing the pros and cons based on what best suits your needs. One of the reasons I really didn't try to convince my wife further has to do with exactly what Dennett and Ddjasonw wrote in their responses. The C has the more modern Mercedes technology and there will be a new design for the E within the next year or so. The latter may not be as big a deal when leasing. However, if I were purchasing, as you wrote, it would be a big deciding factor. Good luck!!
    dcman2,

I just tested the E320 on a short drive, and I own a C320. Although they both have the same engine, I was surprised to find there was a difference. The 320 responds remarkably fast to just a light tap on the accelerator; the E320 is slower to respond. The C320 seems to have more energy and life -- rather like walking a very large puppy who is straining at the leash and raring to go. The E320, on the other hand, is well-behaved, well-trained, and feels like a substantial and sturdy family car.

From my personal experience with a very "immature" (as you so aptly put it) C320, it handles beautifully and can really go. I did not test high speed on the E320. I took the C up our California Grapevine, which is a curvy highway through the mountains with steep inclines, and it did 100-110 with no problem. Doing 85 mph hardly feels as if you are moving.

This is just IMHO --Since I drove my last BMW 5-series for a hundred years, I am by no means a car expert.

Miki
    Both of these are fine cars and justifying an additional $7K for an E comes down to preference and practicality. I tried to get my wife to buy either an E320 or E430 but she feels more comfortable driving the C because of its size. Realizing this is a very active owners club, a lot of useful information is shared about to-date experiences with C240's and C320's. Exponentially, I don't believe the problems are any more unusual than they would be with any other newly designed vehicle. I am sure if there were such an active owners club when the E class was released, it would have been no different. You won't go wrong with either one after weighing the pros and cons based on what best suits your needs. One of the reasons I really didn't try to convince my wife further has to do with exactly what Dennett and Ddjasonw wrote in their responses. The C has the more modern Mercedes technology and there will be a new design for the E within the next year or so. The latter may not be as big a deal when leasing. However, if I were purchasing, as you wrote, it would be a big deciding factor. Good luck!!
    zmeenow -- Actually, I was thinking that I might have a chat with the owner of my "hand" car wash about my bringing in the car to be Zaino'd, since I have not ever washed an entire car in my lifetime. My primary concern is that it will not be done exactly according to directions and most of the fellows there do not speak English. When using Zaino for the first time on a new car, it seems important to do it exactly as instructed.

I E.-mailed Zaino last night and recd reply from Sal Zaino this morning. He was most helpful.

Miki
    If you are interested in seeing a Spy Shot of the New E Class (lines similar to C...IMO)

E Class Forum:

Post # 1147 of 1188 Car & Driver new spy picture by alexalee1 Mar 02, 2001 (02:14 pm)

Of the new E:

http://www.caranddriver.com/xp/Caranddriver/carnews/carnews_spyshots.xml

The new E Class will have "12" air bags, same as C Class + 4 knee air bags.

I believe Drew said the new E will be previewed at the upcoming Geneva Auto Show.
    The new E-Class is set to be unveiled at the Geneva Motor Show next year, and subsequently, to go on sale in summer 2002 as an early 2003 model.
    arent they nice people??? yes it is imortant to get the 1st appication right!
    It has to do with what you feel comfortable with. If the CD player is on your "want" list then you can justify it as $1000 off list. (My dealers price was 995.00 + tax). If its not on your list then you can't consider it a break. Check and see how much over invoice it would be. As far as waiting for the dealers to break the MSRP price. I think thats going to be at least 2 years. I hope you have the patience because I know I don't.

Good Shopping ..

greg@thedailydonut.com
    Thanks for the input; I know it is really hard to get a break into MSRP as the CAR is in heavy demand, I was just wondering about how the dealer even offered me at the first place as I have not put down any money to be on their waiting list besides that the car will be available in May
    all I am wondering is if they have more cancellations than expected due to any reason (may be economy stock market etc etc) we consumer have a good chance to break into MSRP than what you have predicted 2 Years :) of cource If I can wait for two years than why not new E. !!!!!
  • itabackitaback Member Posts: 21
    Last night I picked up my C320 with C2, C3, C4 and C6 sport package and CD changer. It is brilliant silver and looks awesome. I only have had the opportunity to drive 20 miles but my first impression is very positive. I previously owned a '99 230 Kompressor with the sport package and the drive is dramatically quitter and smoother. Until the break-in period is over I can't really open it up and see how it truly handles. The only thing I am not sure that I am crazy about is the speedometer cluster. I think I like the look of my old 230 K sport speedo more. But then again, I think everything takes a while to get used to. I really love the wheels on the sport package and the seats are incredible. If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask.

IT
    Thanks for the input; I know it is really hard to get a break into MSRP as the CAR is in heavy demand, I was just wondering about how the dealer even offered me at the first place as I have not put down any money to be on their waiting list besides that the car will be available in May
    all I am wondering is if they have more cancellations than expected due to any reason (may be economy stock market etc etc) we consumer have a good chance to break into MSRP than what you have predicted 2 Years :) of cource If I can wait for two years than why not new E. !!!!!
    I too agree with your thoughts on the instrumentation. I definitely liked the old dashboard better but I am getting used to the NEW LOOK. Kinda silly to have a digital readout of the speedometer and have a conventional readout too. Oh well... Also the placement of the window switches is a step back. I prefer them in the center console. The reach to the window switches on the door is NOT ergonomic. Those criticisms aside, the car is a vast improvement over the previous model. I drove a 2000 C280 for a year and can't believe the difference.
  • jmsintxjmsintx Member Posts: 41
    To whoever gave up there silver c320 sport that landed in Florida today !
  • itabackitaback Member Posts: 21
    Yes - I neglected to mention in my prior post that I prefer the prior window button placement. However, the center console looks pretty cool (especially with the sport trim - which is a matter of taste) without the buttons and with the shift knob. The overall drive of the car is a vast improvement but I must say that the '99 Kompressor had a lot of "character" to it.

As for the speedo cluster, MB really had to change/redesign it to make room for the trip computer, etc. screen.
    i paid msrp for my c240.. c2 auto trans.33,000+..bought the cd changer at clairpats for $520 had dealer install it for $80.. they only threw in mats... 34+ sounds hi to me...
    my feelings on the c vs the e are why pay 40 grand for a c? yes the design is newer.. and so os the technology.. but at 40 grand plus.. might as well spring for the e... my budget(yes i have one!)allows me a car in the $28-$35 grand price range... and the c is the best bang for the
    buck..IMHO
    did someone say before they bought EVERY option available.. but thought $800 for the xenon was too much? huh??????
This discussion has been closed.