Options

Acura TL vs Honda Accord

Comments

• Options
    ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    Knew that a long time ago :P

It makes sense they bring the TSX there because Europeans like smaller cars.
  • Options
    allfiredupallfiredup Member Posts: 736
    I've read multiple reports that there will be a 6MT version of the EX V6 sedan for '06. The car will have the 6-speed manual, 17-inch wheels and agressive rubber and other tweaks the coupe receives. Honda hasn't officially confirmed it, but I really hope it's true.

That car would be a formidable alternative to the TL at around $7k cheaper or so. I love the TL, but the idea of similar performance for a lot less money is appealing.

b
  • Options
    taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    Don't know that it'll have similar performance. The current TL has sportier HP, torque and handling than the Accord Coupe, but you're right that it would shift some non-label-conscious folks from Acura to Honda.

Personally, If the Accord 6 cyl sedan came with a stick, I might have one instead of my TL.
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    I dunno...still have trouble getting past the styling. :(
  • Options
    midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    Actually the 6-speed Accord V6 w/NAv ( 3318 lbs)and the 6-speed TL w/NAV (3489 lbs) have about the same performance because of the close to the same power to weight ratio Accord=3318/244= 13.6 , TL= 3489/270 = 12.9 Yes the tL is still better.

The specs on the 2006 Accord are back on the hondapreview.com site and show, DRL a 6-speed manual sedan, Vehicle Stability Control and heated mirrors. The gap is closing! 244horsepower up from 240. LED taillights are rumored but not confirmed.
  • Options
    Thanks, Cowboy - I never thought of running a ratio comparison! I know weight played a big part, but I always just sorta eyeballed things, and considered the under 200 lb difference to be negligible. Then again, I guess 30 hp might be negligible, too!!!

However, torque factors in, too, and the TL has more torque. So greater torque plus greater HP probably multiplies the difference between the cars. 9ADMISSION: YES, I'M A TAX ATTY, BUT I LET THE ACCOUNTANTS HANDLE THE MATH!!!) :blush:
  • Options
    delmar1delmar1 Member Posts: 744
    Good tax attorneys don't make the math work...they minimize the liability.
  • Options
    WHat's so special about post #388? I don't think the Accord #s you are using are based on the new HP ratings. WHen I saw the HP #, there was no mention of the new ratings, and I'd think they'd mention it so the consumer would know
  • Options
    billyperksbillyperks Member Posts: 449
    with my 2003 TLS, I blew the doors off a current model V6 Accord-NO SWEAT.
  • Options
    LOL
  • Options
    Ahhh....I wouldn't just measure the Accord EX V6 'performance' just on the single metric mentioned here.

Is the measurement capable of capturing the performance of the BMW330 which comes in at 3450lbs at 255hp....13.5? Is the position taken that the Accord will wipe up the BMW330?

There are mutiple variables driving performance.

Now...is the next argument that will be floated "is the bmw worth the extra money for performance and style?"
  • Options
    Had a 98 BMW M3 5-speed, 6-speed 05 Accord Coupe has almost equal performance, not quite as good of handling and braking, but still very good. And I wasn't the one that a 2003 TLS automatic beat, NO WAY!

cruis'n in 6th :shades: ,

MidCow

P.S.- Participated in the Susan G. Koman Utlimate Drive last weekend and drove 530, 330 ad Z4 3.0; they only had 6-speed automatics, but in SD (sport drive) the automatics are one of the best I have driven!
  • Options
    almost equal performance, not quite as good of handling and braking

Exactly the point.... it isn't all about HP...but handling, braking, etc.

Don't get me wrong...the Accord is a fine car. But I say that the single isolated metric proposed doesn't tell the whole story.
  • Options
    usafgarrettusafgarrett Member Posts: 6
    ;) I'll start with saying I have enjoyed reading all of the old messages in this forum. We do love our cars, and want to be right, don't we??? Living here in Europe I get the pleasure of seeing the Acura TSX with a Honda nameplate. The "Euro Accord" as they have dubbed it in Australia, the only market to sell both the American and European versions as Honda's, sells the "TSX" for $4000 less than the Accord V6, but throw on a very nice A in place of the H and that'll cost you $6-8000. We American's are simply driven to show who has more... i.e. foglights on the Mustang GT... The HEMI badge.... I wish I could find the article on all of this.
    I own an Accord V6 that I had shipped here from the states and I seriously considered the TL but, I'm active duty AF, enlisted, and can't afford a 30k plus automobile. I'll just enjoy what I feel like I got for a steal. For those of you other Accord owners that can't see the difference... Its like the difference between Kobe Beef and the junk at the supermarket... If you can't tell then it's not worth it....... for you.

I wish I had memory seats though!!!

Chris
  • Options
    Its like the difference between Kobe Beef and the junk at the supermarket

I wouldn't go as far as to say that an Accord is mystery meat :P Accords are fine.

But really folks...the point is don't just judge a car by some single esoteric measurement of weight to hp. Everyone has an opinion of which car is better and that is fine and respectable.

What everyone should agree is that they are both fine cars. And that they are the best value compared to their natural peers (TL compared to G35 / BMW3 and the Accord to Camry / Mazda6). Never bad to be at the top of your respective vehicle class.

TL = 'Kobe Beef'. That is a good one. Have to remember that one.
  • Options
    frisconickfrisconick Member Posts: 1,275
    Good analysis of cars in various classes.
  • Options
    mooselookmooselook Member Posts: 68
    The 2006 Accord is now viewable on the Honda website. Looks nice. I'm looking forward to reading a review.

***Mooselook***
  • Options
    Could you give us a link Moose?
  • Options
    http://www.honda.com "The Honda Site" : ;)
  • Options
    Thanks Cowboy, this one hot car for it's price, no doubt!!! I wish the color selection was better, but that is a minor point. I am, in general disappointed in Hondas and Acuras color selections (too limited) but again, it is really minor. For example the new Accord coupe does not come in black, a great color for this style.
  • Options
    The styling tweaks look nice, although they appear to have borrowed the Maxima trunk lid styling. Of course, it's still no match for the TL! ;)
  • Options
    temj12temj12 Member Posts: 450
    The Accord Coupe comes in black. I have an 05 coupe in black.
  • Options
    I went to the Honda website for a look at the 06 Accord coupe and they listed colors, and black was not there.
  • Options
    rumansrumans Member Posts: 13
    It is called Nighthawk Black Pearl and it is listed under their color palette
  • Options
    I am sure they do have black, it just wasn't shown at the website I went to, I must have gone to the wrong place. :blush:
  • Options
    ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    ...have (since 7/24/05) EX V-6 Coupe 6M in Taff Wht.......replacing a 5M Solara V-6.....no comparison between the two. Am really impressed with the Honda.

....look forward to 6M Coupe feedback......understand highway MPG of 32 -34 is not unreasonable.

..with that in mind, a trip to AZ next month should continue the rapture..............

best, ez......
  • Options
    podrespodres Member Posts: 58
    The TL manual comes with Brembo brakes. No mention of those brakes on the Honda 6M. Does anybody here know whether the Accord comes with Brembos? Does it matter?
  • Options
    I believe "Brembo" is a brand of brakes (like a "Momo" stearing wheel) that is highly sought after, though other brands could certainly be as good (I'm not mechanical on that stuff, so I don't know if Brembo's are really better, or it's like Sony where it has the name even though Samsung and JVC are good, too). Regardless, if Honda had 'em, they'd let you know 'cause it's a selling point.

I have the Brembos, and I do think the car has fantastic brakes, but I can't tell you if it's b/c of the brake brand name, or their size or whatever. Only thing I can suggest is you try the TL.

Here's another option: you can buy the Accord (which is a great buy, BTW - I'd definitely get the nav system - it's fantastic!!!), replace the brakes w/ Brembos and hold onto the originals to put back if your brakes wear out right before it's time to sell your car.

I have an '04 6MT TL - since the cars are similar, feel free to ask any other q.s here and I'll try my best to answer them.

Please ans this q about the Accord (I assume you're looking at the 6 cyl): can you now get a 6 cyl w/ 4 doors and 6MT?
  • Options
    jkgreer2jkgreer2 Member Posts: 42
    The Honda 2003 and 2004 Accords did not have Brembo brakes but will stop very well (have both for family). I doubt the 2006 Accord manual will have Brembo brakes, but read Honda brochure when they release brochure for 2006 6M.
    The 6 speed TL has Brembo brakes,and I will drive nothing else. The TL stops in outstanding manner. When the traffic ahead decides to stop and you need to stop fast, Brembo brakes are preferred. Yes, there is brake dust accumulation on TL front alloys. So, I wash them more. No bid deal. Good luck with your decision.
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies regarding the Brembos.

Yes, the 6MT Accord is now available with 4 doors. Both it and the TL seem like great cars. I would prefer the TL because of the styling,handling and the extra toys, but my wife wants a car that she can get into and out of easily. I am guessing that the TL may be a little lower-slung than the Accord. Soon I will take her around and let her try them both out.

I don't see anyone discussing the announced iPod compatibility. IIRC, both Honda and Acura will be offering it in vehicles that hit the showrooms in December. That sounds way cool to me. May make the 6-CD changer irrelevant.
  • Options
    ".. but my wife wants a car that she can get into and out of easily."

IMO, the only thing impeding egress from the TL is the super-springy doors.
  • Options
    bhelsdonbhelsdon Member Posts: 134
    The Brembo brakes on the TL are alot different than the standard brakes and you cannot get them on accord. The difference is the Brembos have a 4 piston caliper where the standard only has a one piston caliper.
  • Options
    OK, now I have test driven both the 06 Honda 6MT sedan and the 05 TL. Here are my thoughts.

First, let me explain my criteria. I am in my 50s with no interest in gunning a car from a stoplight. I want power and acceleration for the rare occasions when I need it to merge onto a highway, to pass on a 2-lane road (not a common event for me) or for other unusual events. Normally I keep a light foot on the gas pedal. I do however like a tight, responsive right, and I like MT because I feel more involved in the driving experience, and less like a piece of cargo.

The Honda is a beautiful car inside and out. I actually prefer the exterior styling of the Accord to the TL, if only by a little bit. And the Honda is more practical. The trunk is cavernous, the rear seats fold forward, etc. And the engine is powerful enough. The car can really zip.

But it feels like a family sedan. Imagine a well-appointed well-designed Buick with a 6MT. Fun to drive, but not really there as a driver's car. If I were starting a family and needed the versatility of the Accord, but wanted to have the fun of MT, I would go for it.

The Accord made me appreciate the TL all the more. From the more solid feel of the doors to the tighter road feel, the experience of the TL is quite different from the Accord. Obviously, the TL has a bit more power, but that's not half the difference. The interior is more luxurious, but the most important difference is the feel for the road. Much more precise. At least that was my impression.

I figure the price difference to be about $5k. Is it worth it? That's a personal choice. I will go for the TL, thanks.
  • Options
    I appreciated reading your assessment. Thank you. :D
  • Options
    haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    Thanks, indeed, for your well spoken points. Next week at this time I'll wake up 60 years old, and, like you, tend toward conservative driving but appreciate sufficient power on tap for those "sticky" situations that inevitably crop up due to others' inconsideration. While I'm still about three years away from a new car purchase, and had been leaning precipitously towards an Accord to replace my '03 Sonata (which for all its economic and equipment attributes, is decidedly NOT a road car), I'm gonna hafta order myself up some Accura literature, now! ;)
  • Options
    Since you are already part of the Hyundai family, maybe an '06 Sonata, with the 235hp V6? ;)
  • Options
    Ain't gonna happen. I came from a '96 Accord.
  • Options
    boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
    I like my 2001 TL a lot but am ready for a new model. I want something with much better gas mileage and frankly even the rumored TL hybrid is going to get the same crappy gas mileage, just more acceleration. Unless I'm in a lot of high speed pursuits, I think the acceleration on the current model is MORE than sufficient (OK not more but PLENTY!).

I would get another TL if they were going to offer better gas mileage - better sound insulation and a voice activated GPS that offered street name recognition - if they don't work on the gas mileage, I'll just get an accord hybrid.
  • Options
    dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    If you want voice recognition for street/city names, you'll have to get the 2006 Accord or TSX. The 06 TL is stuck with the 3rd-gen navi while every other Honda/Acura gets the 4th-gen navi (other new fearures include a faster processor, Zagat guide, waypoints, about 300 more voice commands).
  • Options
    Thanks - I didn't know the 06 Accord had that already!!! I asked that question a couple of months back in another forum but since no one had heard about it I figured it was delayed until next year! I might have to take an 06 hybrid out for a test drive. I'd consider waiting for a TL if they had more info about it but the only info I saw so far was that it was a year away and all it was going to get was more HP and they weren't concerned about getting better gas mileage.">
  • Options
    The 07 TL will get the 4th-gen navi (with NavTraffic probably) .
  • Options
    I agree with you about using hybrid technology to increase speed rather than MPG. Kinda misses the point. But before you run out and get the Accord hybrid, beware: that's just what the Accord does with its hybrid. Better speed than the regular 6-cylinder, basically the same MPG. And you make sacrifices to get that hybrid, like no spare tire, smaller trunk . . . and of course a higher price. Great car, but not the value that the regular 6 cylinder provides. And if, like me, you want a manual transmission, there's no such thing in a hybrid.
  • Options
    bmwdougbmwdoug Member Posts: 248
    Are you telling me that the 06 Honda Accord has a better Navigation System than the 06 Acura TL? I don't know the answer, but I can't believe that the Accord would have a better Navigation System. The TL is in the Luxury Division of Honda (Acura).

It would really be stupid to put an advanced system in the Accord and not in the TL. Any comments? It is true, why? It makes no sense.
  • Options
    "It would really be stupid to put an advanced system in the Accord and not in the TL. Any comments? It is true, why? It makes no sense."

Unless Honda's taking a year to work out possible Nav Sys bugs on Accord owners lest they further sully the Acura TL's slightly tarnished image... (A vocal group of Acura TL owners are still manning the battlements over those recalled trannies.)
  • Options
    You know I'll be honest - when I go to edmunds - I don't see the 06 hybrid accord even listed - I see sever accord models. Am I looking in the wrong place or more likely is it staring me in the face and I'm missing it.

I go to http://www.edmunds.com/ I select new cars - put in my zip, select honda - 06 accord. I don't see the hybrid listed unless it is one of the models there without a hybrid designation.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    All of the hybrids are being discussed on the board at this link: Hybrid Vehicles.

I understand what you are saying about not finding them with the drop-down choices. You might want to go to the Help link on the left side of the page, then the Contact Us tab, and make a suggestion on that order.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Um, okay, but I can't help you with that and this isn't the right place. Glad to hear you have addressed these things via the proper channels.
  • Options
    I got a super speedy helpful response - they are waiting for the prices on the 06 - they hope to have them within a week or so. Pretty impressive turn around!
  • Options
    Unless Honda's taking a year to work out possible Nav Sys bugs on Accord owners lest they further sully the Acura TL's slightly tarnished image... (A vocal group of Acura TL owners are still manning the battlements over those recalled trannies.)

Actually, Honda "tested" the 4th-gen navi on 2005 RL/MDX/Odyssey owners first. I think it passed. ;)

It appears that Honda is waiting for the FMC or MMC of each vehicle to introduce the new navi. Unfortunately the TL is last on the list (2007 MMC). So if you're considering the 06 TL, keep this in mind before you make your final decision. Also keep in mind that Honda could "upgrade" the navi during the middle of the 06 model year. For example, Toyota upgraded the V6 on the Camry during the middle of the 2003 model year. You may be better off waiting for the 07 TL.
  • Options
    I would like to consider waiting for an 07 TL - but I can't find any specs about the expected MPG - if the 07 doesn't get at least as good mileage as the current hybrid accord it will be difficult for me to consider. If the MPG were expected to be as good as the accord I would definitely wait.