Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Petrie installed a Draw-Tite hitch on his Impala and he has photos on his site. It's on the Links page. I also found a couple of online vendors that sell the class II hitch for the Impala (Accessories page)

www.ImpalaHQ.com
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Why didn't you go to edmund's, find invoice cost and work from there?

How is the car working out for you?
  • Options
    bowtiefan01bowtiefan01 Member Posts: 20
    Just was thinking that it would be nice if Chevy made a station wagon version of the Impala. Other companies have them (e.g. Audi A6 Avant, Ford Taurus Wagon, Volvo S-70 Wagon, Passat Wagon, etc.). I would think that Chevy would want to compete in every aspect with these other manufacturers and produce a wagon.

I'm not too keen on minivans and SUVs, but I could use more space and think an Impala wagon (with the car's current roominess) would be great. Chevy used to make station wagons and it's too bad that they stopped. I think the last Chevy wagon made was the Celebrity. I know that GM produces the Saturn Wagons, but even their largest one, the LW 3 is too small.

I like the Nomad concept, but I also like the utility of having four doors.

I hope that Chevy might consider making an Impala wagon sometime in the future, perhaps a Holden SS version?

Food for thought!

John
  • Options
    larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    reefer: Yup. I agree buying a car is a major PITA.

When you strip all the crap off a car deal, the dealer will probably settle for a small profit, but won't pay you much over wholesale for your trade. I understand that because that's what he'll probably get for the trade unless he decides to recondition it and resell it. And I agree that it's MUCH more convenient to trade than to sell your car individually - although you have to be prepared to pay for that convenience by accepting close to wholesale for your trade.

B4Z: I didn't work off the exact invoice price for two reasons:
    1) We hadn't actually picked out a car until we got to the dealership so I didn't know exactly how it would be equipped. We needed to do the deal that evening so I couldn't run home and research the specific invoice price. I did, however, do some research before hand and new that the typical base price and options mix amounted to between 9 and 10% of the list so I went with 9% of the total.
    2) I'm a salesman / businessman myself and I have no problem with them making a fair profit on the car. To me, a fair profit is in the hundreds, not thousands of dollars. Realistically, they probably made about $500-600 after everything (holdback, trade-in, commission, etc). I have no problem with that. After all, I want them to be in business long enough to service my car :-)
  • Options
    spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    I would love to see some data backing the intake manifold issue. I am bringing my 2000 LS in on friday to have the coolant leak issue resolved. I have 59,995 miles, but the issue presented itself prior to this. I am tired of the coolant smell, and finally have a day to bring it in.

What was the speed governed at for the Impala... 105???
  • Options
    Forgot to mention - We haven't found a thing to complain about the car yet. It is doing great as I'd expect.

Now, one week and four hundred miles after taking delivery, the wife is still in high cotton and has already washed it 3 times! (She hasn't washed a car three times in the last year!)

Thanks for asking.
  • Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I'm not sure folks would REALLY have any more room in an Impala wagon as they do in the sedan. I have a extended dodge minivan that I can barely fit more stuff in than my Impala, even when I remove the rear seat. The reason is because, while there are many more cubic feet inside the van, the space above the top of the rear seats is virtually useless. Unless you want to get thwacked in the back when you hit the brakes.

If a cargonet or some other device was available to allow floor-to-ceiling packing, the van would hold a lot more.

Our yearly trip that takes the most space is our Christmas trip. This year we took the Impala and it worked as well as the van had worked in the past. The huge trunk is a real asset.

Maybe that's why Chevy didn't bother with the wagon?
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Yeah, that dark blue almost makes you wash it a lot.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I love my Galaxy Silver. Recently for the past several weeks, I never had to wash my car. All I did was use a damp cloth and wipe over the car. It looks as clean as a newly washed car. More importantly, I ALWAYS keep my 16" aluminum wheels nice and shinny! It makes the car stand out more. :)

Oh by the way, for those who have leather wrap steering wheel, I recommend that you clean your steering wheel with a damp cloth. It's filthy dirty!
  • Options
    sttropez1sttropez1 Member Posts: 51
    Better yet use Meguiar's Leather cleaning and conditioning wipes. They clean your leather and condition it at the same time.

Cleaning your leather wrapped steering wheel with just any non-leather cleaner can lead to fading, peeling and cracking of the material. The leather needs to be cleaned/conditioned frequently due to the amount of dirt (Oil from the hands, etc) that tends to get absorbed in there.
  • Options
    vexvex Member Posts: 14
    General Motors is too cheap to install good speed rated tires on most of their family sedan line-up. The impala has only S rated tires and that means that it is governed to a maximum of 110 mph. If they only spent an extra $75 dollars per vehicle they could have had H rated tires which also handle much better. Sure rarely does anybody drive faster than 80mph but its nice to know that you have it if needed.
  • Options
    Who can legally drive in North American roads over the speed of 80MPH?

Please!
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I was talking to a friend of mine that is a certified GM mechanic at a dealer. He just had new training regarding fixing the ISS and the cradle clicks. The problem with the ISS is that it loses it lubrication and binds up. Now they have a procedure to relube it and the problem is fixed. As far as the cradle goes, He mentioned something about an air gap under the welds that causes flexing thus the clicks. They now inject an epoxy material into those problem areas to take the "clicks and pops" away. the click is NOT A SAFETY ISSUE so I won't get mine fixed. The ISS is another story.
  • Options
    What's being legal got to do with it?
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    The info on the Cradle is in the form of a Training bulletin or something? First I have heard of this.... I had my Service Director looking for "NEW" info on the noises my car is making, they are going the "Cradle Mount" way this Friday, if I can direct him to the possibility that maybe this is a new aproach he can check into it. Can you find out if it is listed anywhere that my Service Mgr. can obtain it? Thanks in advance....

OH Yea,,, Yesterday I pulled up beside a Parked 2000 Impala "LS" Taxi Cab!! near a Cab garage, 10's of Crown Vics and Caprices' and this newcomer.... it was Silver with a White Roof and had all of the markings of a Cab, I had to look twice, it had the 5 spoke rims/fog lights.halo headrests...what the?? I will try to get a pic,,, gotta see this thing... Don
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    This was training just last week so it is new. I'll see what I can find out
  • Options
    spence30spence30 Member Posts: 52
    To know about intake minifold leaks, had anyone had to pay to fix, and how much. Is there any literature that states the common issue with the part on the 3800 II engine???
  • Options
    I doubt the "Manifold leak" thingy is as frequent as some might want you to believe. I have not seen any meaningful statistical data that proves the plastic manifold intake to be a frequent problem in the 3.8L.

But again it might be. I would be very interested in seeing this data that proves my point of view wrong altogether.
  • Options
    They keep that data in the same file as the disc warpage data. I'd like to see anybody come up with the hard numbers.
  • Options
    carguy6carguy6 Member Posts: 2
    My service mgr. said he estimates about 5-10% of the 3800 engines have the manifold problem. He also said that to date,he has not seen any in the Impala only the Bonneville--- probably because it doesn't usually happen until 40-60k miles. Also, he has not had any returns on the cars once the fix has been made. Out of warrenty cost is about $600-700.
  • Options
    reeferreefer Member Posts: 37
    I made an offer to a dealer today to pay 94% of the sticker and settled for slightly above wholesale for my excellent trade-in. He took the offer but you'd think he was going to have kittens or something. He kept complaining he was only making a couple hundred $ on the deal (my estimate was more like a thousand.) I have purchased many new cars in the last thirty years. If I ever meet an honest car dealer I think I'll drop over from the shock.
    What does the ISS I see here so much refer to?
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    http://www.autoextremist.com

(an excellent site, by the way),

says that the next Impala will be based on the next Cadillac CTS platform. It will also apparently have a 300 horsepower engine! The bad news is the price could go as high the high twenties, US. Lutz had wanted to use the Commodore SS platform, but apparently this option did not win out.

Malibu, meanwhile, will be based on the Opel Astra and gets six inches longer and much more sophisticated.

Supposedly, the Malibu announcement is coming in about a month, with the Impala one shortly thereafter.

Discussion? Comments?

• Options
    jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Would anyone happen to know if you can buy a can of touchup spray paint now for 2001 Impala? I park my car outside and have been using a car cover. With all the wind my area has been getting during the winter has caused the cover to wear the paint off the corner tips of my Impala LS's spoiler:( Any help would be greatly appreciated. May all have a great day!
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    ISS = Intermediate Steering Shaft

If you develop a clunking sound in your front suspension that you can feel in the steering wheel and the brake pedal (especially when turning to the right), the ISS is likely the cluprit. I had it replaced on my 2000 base model. The problem is a loss of lubrication in the shaft (actually, I think all the lube runs to one end). There is a fix whereby grease is added which seems to solve the problem, I believe.
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Some cost cutting is in the works for 2003 GM Models. In particular ABS and Side Impact Bags...It reads in part:

"Among 2003 Models, GM will offer ABS as Standard on it's six Cadillac and two Saab Models, Plus Pontiac Bonneville, Chevrolet Corvete and Buick LeSabre, Side Air Bags will remain standard only on the Cadillacs and Saabs"
    "We are not taking these safety options away, just competitively pricing them"
    "Bob Lutz has been dragging a comb thru the line up looking for features that won't be missed or that competitors charge for, Trunk Cargo Nets and Lights,glove-box lights,plastic body cladding,trip computers, and rear seat head restraints have been considered"
    GM could save more than $100 Million a year on ABS and Side Airbags,ABS costs the automaker about $160., Side Airbags average more than $100, When Automakers sell them as options, they typically mark up the price to consumers 200% to 300%...Don
  • Options
    Congrats on your purchase! It's nice to know I'm not the only 'newbie' in the club!

Hope we both enjoy our purchases for a long time to come.

Larry
  • Options
    Your dealer's parts dept has touch up paint in both liquid and spray formats.
  • Options
    discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    I bought my 2000 LS impala on whats called an "Option One" price. Its a price given to GM employees, and their parents/children. (My dad works for Hughes). Anyway, the sticker was $26,300, and my "Option One", no haggle price was $22,400. My understanding is, that even at this price, the dealer made "A Few Hundred Bucks"...
  • Options
    When I got up this AM, the Impala/Malibu information I posted in #8873 above from http://www.autoextremist.com WAS there. Now it is gone, but the rest of this week's edition remains. I KNOW I did not imagine it. So there are only three possibilities I can think of:

*release was pre-mature and GM demanded it be pulled?

*The site was contacted and told the information was wrong?

*Mr. Cline should not do magic mushrooms before noon?

• Options
    reeferreefer Member Posts: 37
    My dealer really was blowing smoke then. According to your figures he really did make more than a few hundred bucks on the deal. My LS was priced just about the same as your retail sticker price. I'll pick it up tomorrow. it will be fun to have a sedan again for a while. I've been driving trucks, SUVs and minivans since my last "car", a 1986 T-Bird with V8. That was a fun car.
  • Options
    stormdavystormdavy Member Posts: 80
    I believe you-- I believed Bill Clinton, too. Mushrooms or no mushrooms, that is fantastic 'news'.
    Keep up the posts when you track down the facts!
  • Options
    etcarrolletcarroll Member Posts: 87
    Interesting event yesterday, '01 LS with 25.5k miles, no problems except radio to date.

Doing 70 on highway, heard/felt hard and sharp bump under car, drivers side. Saw nothing in road before or after event.
    At my next stop, opened drivers door to exit, and small slivers of plastic fell out on ground. Opened driver's side rear door to get coat, more slivers fall out.

Get down on knees to examine, and find the plastic body cladding slightly seperated from car. All that's holding it on is a metal screw in each wheelwell were the cladding wraps around into the wells. It seems that all that holds cladding on down the length of the car is a series or plastic tabs, and the rectangular heads of all the tabs had snapped clean off.

Anyone else heard of this?
  • Options
    While perusing the Detroit News site this AM, I found a nearly month old spy shot of the Malibu Extended Sedan (read: station wagon).

http://pc99.detnews.com/autosinsider/sneakpeek/index.hbs?myrec=25

(Let's hope THIS one stays up after I post the link!)

The Detroit News photo caption says the regular Malibu sedan will NOT be dropped, the wagon is an addition and both sedan and wagon are to be based on Opels. Given this information, which was already out there, perhaps some of the speculation on the next Impala that autoextremist.com listed briefly yesterday was wrong (it had said the Impala would be based on the Cadillac CTS platform, which would, I think, make the Impala significantly smaller. As I thought about that yesterday, I, too, came to doubt that. I have to think the Impala police market is something GM wants and covets. I also have to doubt the wisdom of sharing a platform with Cadillac and Chevrolet--though the current Aurora and STS share a platform, I believe)

Meanwhile, it appears the next Impala WILL be rear wheel drive, regardless. Good news? I think so. I hope the 300 horsepower engine was right, but if it was, I bet it is the OPTIONAL engine at a significant premium.

But as to which will be larger, the Malibu or the Impala, I suspect autoextremist.com was simply wrong yesterday morning, was contacted by GM or someone who knows, and changed their tune, doing so quickly. Since this had been listed as an exclusive, taking it down had to be painful. I list all this for the insight it gives us to the next Impala, not as a commentary on other websites.

Hey, Edmunds! Perhaps this is your chance to tell us what you know or think about the next Impala! :) Many of us out here are dying to know! (I actually had been quite impressed that Impala news was on autoextremist--they have bitterly critiqued the car on many occasions as being perhaps the epitome result of design by focus group and committee!)
  • Options
    jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Thanks for that information. Have a great day!
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    This warning light came on and off over the past two days during an 1100 mile trip.

I kept my eye on the temp gauge and the needle never went above 4 o'clock - the notch below the mid point.

I read the manual but...
    I looked at the reservoir and if anything, it was only down a little.

Can I simply add tap water to the coolant reservoir or do I really have to go out and get a gallon of anti-freeze type solution just to add a few ounces ???

I have a 2000 model LS with about 27,000 miles.
  • Options
    No tap water. You need to get a hold of a bottle of DEXCOOL coolant or simply have your dealer top it off.

The "Low coolant" warning light could be related to a few things:

* Faulty coolant level light sensor

* Coolant leak in upper intake manifold.

However, if you haven't noticed any coolant smells coming from the engine compartment (After shutting off the car) or if the coolant temp needle has never gone past or at least 1/4 of the way up the middle mark, then you should still be fine.

After topping off your coolant reservoir bottle, I suggest for you to check the level at least once every 2 weeks. If it happens again, then take it straight to the dealer.

Whatever you do, never put tap water on a Dexcool coolant system.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    According to the latest verifiable information:

* The all new "Epsilon" FWD platform is scheduled to replace and form the basis of the all new 2004 Chevrolet Malibu and 2004 or 2005 Pontiac Grand AM. The Epsilon platform was developed by Adam Opel AG in Germany (GM's European division)and it will take over the already ancient N-body platform (Known as P90 in GM lingo) which currently forms the basis of the Chevrolet Malibu, Pontiac Grand AM and Oldsmobile Alero. Since Oldsmobile is going away after 2004, there will not be an "Epsilon" platform Oldsmobile vehicle replacement for the Alero sedan and coupe.

Also to clarify: The Epsilon platform forms the underpinnings of the just launched all new 2002 Opel Vectra in Europe (Go to www.opel.com and click on the 2002 Vectra link). The 2004 Chevrolet Malibu/Vectra will be virtually identical to the European market '02 Opel Vectra. If you look at the pictures on that link, the Malibu will most definetely go upmarket to compete with the likes of the VW Passat, Nissan Maxima, Nissan Altima, et al. The next Malibu will in reality be a full grown German car, no longer an American conceived and designed model. Expect prices to be in the $25K to $30K range for the new 2004 Malibu.

Also, the 2004 Malibu will be offered as a 4 door sedan and a 5 door hatchback "Stretch wheelbase" version. The Epsilon wagon will be more of a SUV/Car crossover type of vehicle than a typical car based station wagon.

The current Saturn L series sedan/wagons are based off on the old Opel Vectra chassis that was discontinued last year. Saturn, however, will not get a L series sedan replacement when the Epsilon platform becomes available in the Saturn division. Rather, they will get yet another crossover vehicle to replace the slow selling sedan/wagon L series.

Pontiac will also get an Epsilon sedan/coupe and possibly crossover vehicle as well to replace the aging Grand AM but details are more sketchy in regards to the strategy slanted for Pontiac.

The Epsilon DOES NOT form the basis of the current Opel Astra sedan/wagon/coupe/convertible sold in Europe, Asia and Latin America, but not North America with the exception of Mexico. (Again go to www.opel.com and select the Astra link).

The current Opel Astra (Which is one billion times better than any current small J-Body Crapalier and Sunfire sold in North America) is a car the size of the Ford Focus and which offers world class handling, performance, looks and reliability. GM has made a terrible mistake by holding on for 20 years to the archaic J-body platform and refuse to bring over the extremely competitive Opel Astra to North America. They ceded that market to Ford with the German designed and engineered Focus. Just look at the success Ford has had with the Focus.

The current Opel Astra is based on the Delta I small car platform. However, the 2004 or 2005 long overdue Cavalier and Sunfire replacements (However Pontiac has no plans on replacing the Sunfire once it goes out of production since they now get the Toyota built and based Pontiac Vibe crossover) will get the Opel developed new GM small car platform code named Delta II. The first GM North American car to receive the Delta II platform is the 2003 Saturn ION sedan/Coupe which will replace the old Saturn S series Sedan/Coupe/wagons this coming fall. The Saturn ION rides on the German designed Delta II platform and the 2004 or 2005 Crapalier replacement will also be built on the Delta II platform to compete with the Focus, et al. Styling will be more Germanic as the 2004 Malibu Opel based replacement.

However, there is an interesting tid bit: The Next generation European Opel Astra will not receive the Delta II platform. Instead, the next gen Astra will ride on the all new Fiat Stylo (Sweeet car BTW, go to www.fiat.com and take a look)) platform. Remember that GM has bought an interest in the Fiat Spa automotive group, hence the fact that Alfa Romeo will come back to America in 2005 and will be sold at first on selected Cadillac dealerships. Alfa Romeo is also partly owned by GM.

As for a quick turn over in regards to high performance RWD models, Bob Lutz has set his sights to Australia's Holden GM division. Holden is perhaps the best and most successful GM division in the world. Lutz has already given the green light to import the Holden Monaro coupe which will be sold in the US as the 2004 Pontiac GTO coupe to fill the niche left off by the now discontinued F-body Camaro/Firebird/TransAM. The Monaro is a world class vehicle that features a 5.7L LS1 300+HP V8, RWD, 6-speed manual and a near Corvette/BMW handling chassis dynamics. The '04 GTO will be imported from Australia to the rate of 10K to 20K per year and will retail for about $30K a piece.

The Holden Commodore SS is the Monaro CV8 coupe's 4 door sibling. However, Lutz has not indicated whether he will import the sedan version as well. The Commodore would be the perfect Impala SS replacement. The Commodore SS is currently sold in the Middle East and South Africa as the Lumina SS sedan. The Commodore and Monaro are Opel platform Aussie spinoffs. It is unlike you will ever see the current Cadillac CTS "Sigma" RWD platform ever offered on a Chevy badged product. The Sigma platform is very expensive to manufacture and hence GM has stated previously that no other divisions below Cadillac will get the excellent Sigma platform.

GM/Chevy is currently working hard at the next generation Impala, but details are still very sketchy. There are conflicts as to whether the Impala will go RWD to the all new Mid-Lux platform, whether it will be imported from Australia, or if it will continue to be a FWD sedan based on yet another update to the current W-body platform. We all hope the next Impala will offer a V8 engine and RWD at least.

Last, the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix G-force will still be FWD and based on a tweaked update to the current W-body chassis. The 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix G-Force will offer a 280HP version of the Supercharged 3800 V6 and a stronger transmission box which will still be automatic. Interior and exterior sheetmetal will be all new however.

This is all folks....
  • Options
    duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Good info on the coolant warning light in your post 8887.

Interestingly, the light only came on over 60mph. I'll have it checked out next week with TSBs I haven't yet addressed - rear wheel wells, amp etc. I'll be using nathan's helpful impalahq.com website for that info.
  • Options
    Glad to be of any help.
  • Options
    discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    Reefer, this was a "Special" price, not everyone can get, so I'm guessing you did alright with your deal. Just over 2 years, and 29,500 miles, and I LOVE this car. I, too, had been driving only trucks since 1988. A raised Ford Courier, then a 91 Dakota V8, then a 97 Chevy C1500. Traded in the Chevy when I got my LS. I'm sure you will love your car....

Duraflex, The exact same thing happened to me with the coolant thing, about 9 months ago. The light came on, and I checked it. If anything, it was only down a little. I bought and added a small amount of coolant, and kept my eye on it for a while. No more problems...
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    If you are talking a few ounces, I don't see a problem with using tap water to top off. When you add coolant, you mix it 50% coolant 50% tap water anyway and a few ounces up or down isn't going to matter all that much. Also, if you look at the way the system works, when the coolant enters the overflow bottle, it displaces air and there is a small hole in the cap to allow the air to escape. Some of the water in the coolant is evaporating and escaping also. So the resulting coolant is becoming more concentrated and adding water would balance out the system.

Of course, you might as well get a gallon of Dexcool to keep on hand because I suspect you will have to add more than a few ounces one of these days. When my coolant light went on, I added about 3 cups to bring it back up.

Prestone makes a GM-approved Dexcool coolant. Someone else does also, but I don't remember who.

The orange color takes a little getting used to. It felt like I was pouring orange jello into my car.
  • Options
    A number of brands of "dex-cool" approved coolant are on the market now. In addition to Prestone, I know specifically of Texaco/Havoline. I remember seeing others at the parts store, as well. Remember to mix it 50/50 with water.

As for adding only a few ounces, tap water is fine, as Nathan says. Filtered or distilled water is better, as they have less minerals and contaminants.

sttropez didn't mention the most common cause of coolant loss in the Impala. A TSB has been issued for it. Apparently, on many reservoirs, the lip of the opening has a rough and/or uneven surface, which causes the cap to not seal correctly. You can check it yourself, and attempt to smooth it, or bring it in to the dealer for a warranty repair per the TSB.
  • Options
    Thank you guys, I stand corrected on the tap water issue.

What's the TSB number for the coolant cap problem?
  • Options
    I think they are 00-06-02-004 and 00-06-02-006, if I remember correctly?
    You can search for TSB titles at www.alldata.com
  • Options
    "Chevrolet's plans for the future are exciting. We wish we could share those plans with you, but it is traditional in the automotive industry to keep all details confidential until public announcement. Your local Chevrolet Dealer will receive the information you requested at the earliest possible date. Please stay in contact with the dealer to hear the news first.

The demand for such an outfitted rear-wheel drive, V8 Impala SS is staggering. The Chevrolet Brand Team is currently entertaining the idea of bringing back the V8 Impala to fill the void left by the departure of the Camaro.....Stay tuned... "

An Impala SS is a very tempting idea...
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Just doesn't seem right.
  • Options
    That's 'cause all the great cars consume the most oil. ;-)
  • Options
    wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    Shortly after I got my LS last year, I drove up over a curb and popped off the plastic "buttons" holding the passenger side "rocker panel". It took 3 trips to the parts counter to get the proper amount of buttons. In all fairness "they" kept sending the incorrect amounts. The part number was correct for color and amount, just the "system" didn't respond correctly. Anyhow they are easy to replace and I think I paid $20.00, if that much for them.
    If you think about it, in the "old days" you would have had a crunched rocker panel, ready to rust. Just don't delay in replacing the "buttons".
  • Options
    brettca1brettca1 Member Posts: 2
    I had a pick-up blow a bucket out of it's bed right in front of me on the highway a couple of months ago and I ran over it at the pass. side kick panel. The dealer wants $4.73 EACH!!! Those are injection molded retaining clips that cost about 2 cents to make. Since it was at Christmas time, I went to Walmart and bought some Outdoor Light clips that are also injection molded plastic, 50 clips for $1.97. I took the clips to the parts manager and let her decide if the two parts were comprable........She couldn't say much other than she would sell them to me at her cost, I think it was $2.88 each. Last week I went over a real rough road and when I got home and opened the Pass door.......they all fell out on the floor again!! AAAUUUGGGG!!!! I will have to buy more, or maybe I can just buy some nylon screws at Auto Zone and screw them in the holes....It won't look the same, but otherwise GM could make a killing off these things.

Note: The center clip is a different size and it's a different P/N. My dealer couldn't locate them.

Brett......