Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    Thanks for the info man, I still need to call the dealership and find out what the deal is with the parts they ordered for me.

Well, I just got back from the 1/8 mile drag way about an hour ago. Ran my Impala out there and the best time I ended up gettin were as follows:

Reaction: +.810 Secs

60 FT: 2.446 Secs

330 FT: 6.984 Secs

ET @ 594 FT: 10.073 Secs

1/8 ET: 10.763 Secs

1/8 MPH: 65.22 MPH

Not that great, but it was my first time. I also started racing after a 40 mile trip and in 90 degree temps. I did beat some ricers though, and it felf good. Only if I could hook up my car like Lynoise, I could go after camaros and corvettes. I'll post all my time slips once I get my scanner hooked back up. One of our club members got into a bad accident racing down the strip. The Firebird the was racing against smoked her, and he took the 1st left exit instead of the second one and the eclipse ramed right into the the driver side door at around 60mph. The guy in the firebird ended up with 2 broken legs and some back and neck problems, and the girl I'm not sure about, but she was on a stretcher with her head taped down to it and she was also given oxygen. Both cars were totalled. I'm not sure if they'll be covered with their insurance companies, but I did hear some guys saying that since it was a "Tune and Test" day at the strip, they shouldnt have problems with their claims. Everyone out there, BE SAFE!!

Chris

http://members.cox.net/2001impala
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    What does that equate to in the quarter?
  • Options
    Picture from wieck.com shows new wheels for LS.http://www.wieck.com/public/*2PV_039268
  • Options
    impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    Can't really tell you. It all depends on gearing and some other stuff I guess, and I aint a math genius.
    Chris
  • Options
    tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    local dealer has two. They've got the ponies and the price is mid 30s but I gotta think an Impala SS would be far more attractive a package.

The Merc just has nothing to offer styling-wise. Same looking car as a 92 Grand Marq. I'm sure it handles like no prior GM but the car just doesn't have to looks.

Chevy needs to let loose an Impala SS!!
  • Options
    local dealer has two. They've got the ponies and the price is mid 30s but I gotta think an Impala SS would be far more attractive a package.

The Merc just has nothing to offer styling-wise. Same looking car as a 92 Grand Marq. I'm sure it handles like no prior GM but the car just doesn't have the looks.

Chevy needs to let loose an Impala SS!!
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    on Ebay..#1843477665
  • Options
    copychixcopychix Member Posts: 7
    It is way too early for my brakes to start squeaking (4,000 miles), but I've noticed a slight sound (not every time I brake).

I am convinced this is due to my husband riding the car way too hard on a recent road trip to visit family. He hadn't had a chance to really give the car a go until then and he was being a bit, shall we say, aggressive in his handling of the Impala. He is having major car jealousy (he has to wait to trade in his Saturn until we find out if I'm getting hired by the place at which I freelance). Never heard a sound out of the brakes until after that roadtrip.

Does this sound normal? Can I wait until the 6,000 mile oil change to address this? Or should I get myself to the dealer earlier. I don't even know if something like this would be covered under warranty.

Other than that, I am loving this car. In fact, I'm going outside to give it its first real bath right now.
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I would suspect that you've just hit a slightly more "metallic" section of the "semi-metallic" brake pads. I get squealing every now and then but it goes away reasonably quickly. It's the price you pay for not being able to use asbestos in brake pads anymore.

I don't think you have anything to worry about. Hopefully your husband won't use it as a way to bash your nice ride. Have fun with the bath!
    Brad
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    I woudn't be too concerned with the noise, copychix. Quite possible that your husband glazed the pads slightly which can happen if the pads aren't broken in properly. Basically, hard braking on relatively new pads can glaze them.

My LS' brakes like to talk when I am at the [non-permissible content removed] end of braking. From 5mph down they will squeak sometimes. I am a demon on the brakes but I did go through a proper break in period.

If you were to take it in, they would more than likely tell you that th materials used today for the pads are prone to squealing and they can't do anything about it.

If the brakes feel alright, then don't sweat it. If they are fading or the pedal is pulsing, then you may want to have them looked at. Of course, you may also want to have the piece of mind and have them look at them anyway.

Happy motoring. Glad you are digging the ride.

RR
  • Options
    hggrayhggray Member Posts: 24
    Check out the TireRack.com site for the "Fox5 Sport Edition" wheels for the Impala. (They're currently on a special for $105.00 each)
    I had a set installed on my torch red 2000 base sedan yesterday, and they are absolutely awesome on the Impala (looks so good I can hardly stand it...!!)
  • Options
    lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    tpken, is your commute 100 miles round trip or 100 each way? I'm supposing 50 each way... How long does it take you, what routes do you prefer, what time leave? How's the traffic? We are moving from Ark. to S. NH and will be commuting to Ayer MA and other N. Mass. points depending on where I pick up work. Thanks for any info, Nick
  • Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    The previous posts are correct. The intermittent squeak is not a problem unless you have other performance problems with the brakes.

I've found that glazing, which is virtually unavoidable, will also cause the brakes to lose their grip during rain or when the road is wet. My LS wheels don't apparently keep the rotors completely dry, thus it takes a few rotations of the wheels each time I brake before they dig in and work like normal. I have to leave extra distance for this, and it's kind of bothersome. I can remove the pads, brush them with a wire brush, and put them back on. This solves the problem until they glaze over again. I'm betting that the first pad change will solve the problem. Aftermarket pads have never done this to me before.

Later
  • Options
    copychickcopychick Member Posts: 62
    Thanks for making me feel better about the brake squeal. I'll bet you're right, because the squeal isn't even there all the time. And the brakes are working just fine, as they always have.

I had a great time "bathing" my Impala LS. It looks beautiful and I'm so glad people on this board motivated me to take care of this myself, rather than risking scratches at a "brushless" place.

Unfortunately, I had the new puppy leashed outside next to the car while I was washing it. He decided to give in to his canine instincts and dig a hole next to the driveway. When I opened my car door to clean out the back seat, he jumped up and made a nice muddy mark on the upholstery (wah!) Fortunately, that "Dry Clean" stuff in the blue can did the trick:)
  • Options
    Fortunately, that "Dry Clean" stuff in the blue can did the trick:)

Did you put it in his food dish?
  • Options
    copychickcopychick Member Posts: 62
    No, but the little demon earned himself a bath;)
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    I passed (rather slowly, qauking all the while....beside and behind it for 1/2 a mile) A Car-Carrier loaded with 2003 Chevrolet Impala's ...I noticed the new rims on an LS on the top of the truck in clear view, looked OK I geuss? it was 15 feet in the air... They look a tad bit different than the Diamond Cut LS Sport and Monte Rims..It was trucking down interstate 75 south in southern Ohio. Don
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Oooooh. I'm jealous! :)

Still waiting for info on the supposedly coming SS. Soon, the 2000 Impala LS, now with 94,000 miles +, will become either an Impala SS, a 2004 Grand Prix (due out next spring) or a Mazda6.

john cline ii who loves his Impala but isn't sure he wants to cross country travel in a car with 100,000 miles +.....we will just have to see!
  • Options
    100,000 miles is just a number. As long as your
    alternator, starter, water pump, hoses and pulleys are in good condition you should be fine.
  • Options
    Don't forget the brakes.
  • Options
    Nick - I will be glad to answer any questions about commuting routes etc in Mass to NH- but probably best off line here - please send me an email address to respond to and I'll gladly get back to you. It may take me a while since I'm back and forth between home and camp and away from the office right now but I'll look for your email.

Ken
  • Options
    Any bites on the Impala lately? How's it going for you these days? I'm out more than in - taking vacation time at home and camp.
  • Options
    Got one recently. But, as the salespeople always point out on those "inconsiderate..." forums, buyers are such flakes. They show a little interest, then they don't call or show up. Kind of like the way I used to be after one-night-stands.

One guy left a message while I was in Japan. He sounded like he couldn't affort a 1971 Impala, let alone my 2001. Well, I waited and waited to call him back, figuring he was just some shlub. Wouldn't you know, in thast short time, he bought another car! The one real buyer, and I let him get away!

I don't understand it. I've had it listed since October in about 5 different places, AutoTrader, Cars.com, SwapaLease, LeaseTrader, and LeaseTrading. It's obviously a very popular model, judging from the depleted stock at the dealers. It's practically brand new, with only 9500 miles on the ody, upgraded tires, stereo, mud guards, etc, all the options, and in meticulous shape. Yet, I've only gotten a handful of inquiries in all that time.

It's a crazy world.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Used car market is flooded now that buyers are taking advantage of heavy discounting and 0% financing on 2002 models.
  • Options
    yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Very new used car - it smells lemon (or ex-rental). Personally, I would screen it out when browsing ads. Would not give a chance to explain / demonstrate.

Have a bad experience. We bought an used 98 Malibu in 98, with 15000 miles. Nice car to drive, but it brokes too often. Mostly small things, but too many of them. Of big things: transmission was replaced, intake manifold gasket...
  • Options
    I have had a coupla problems, certainly far less serious than the cradle, ISS, brake rotor, motor mount, manifold gasket type of problems I see on these boards. (Wobbly seat, hesitation, AC) But, they were taken care of.

I just don't love the car. Despite its solid (for me) frame, good power, and overall value, its interior materials, large size, and extreme popularity bother me. I like my other cars more, and definitely don't need the monthly payment for a car I don't drive much anymore.

But, I see what you mean. I never thought about lemon. Whenever I see an ad for a late model used car, I always think what a good value it is. I would not assume rental with only 9500 miles. Even then, I had an ex-rental GrandAm, and it was great.
  • Options
    It finally happened to me on the way to work this morning. Three lanes of traffic. Three Impalas across, with me in the middle.
  • Options
    LOL. I think we're even. You're the one person I've met who thinks the Impala interior is luxurious. ;-)

Btw, my guess for the reason you're seeing more base models is ex-rental used car sales. A lot of 2000's and many 2001's have hit their mark, usually 25-30K miles, and are pulled out of service for sale.
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    Hi old friends,

It is hard to believe I started posting 2 1/2 years ago on this site. I have been reading along but have not posted in awhile. The 2k_ls has 6800 miles on it now with the only problem being the amp replacement. I just bought a 2002 trailblazer and I am getting it saturday. My 1991 blazer is getting tired. I will have some pictures on my site soon. My cradle had the dreaded click/snap sound but it went away, thank god. Hey copy chick, I am in the 2001 Impala brochure also. You can see it on my site. When I was at the dealer this week, I noticed Teo's picture is on the GM mastergard warranty brochure. http://www.luckyjdr.homestead.com/impala.html
  • Options
    Why not put "private seller" on your impala ad to differientate between used car dealers, program cars and your low miles 1 owner car.
  • Options
    cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    I know your reading........he is on another brochure? Thats why after chevy replaced his car we could not confide in him any longer to be un-biased. gm problably told him to stop posting here also.....
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    "true sport sedan" is a bit much
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Where is the battery of the new Impalas located? Is it under the hood next to the engine or under the rear seat cushion, as in many other GM products?
  • Options
    b4z - I believe it already says that next to my ad (Autotrader does, anyway.)

jrossamac - MIne is under the hood. They put them under the seat cushion? I can't believe they expect people to sit on top of a box of acid.
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Of the 10 GM cars owned by my all of my family members since I started driving in 1982, and the dozens more GM cars and trucks I've driven that belonged to other people, I can't think of a single one that had the battery anywhere other than in the engine compartment.

What GM cars have/had it under the back seat?
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    The GM cars I know of that have the battery in a place other than the engine compartment are these:

Buick Reatta (in trunk, I think)
    1995-99 Buick Riviera (under the back seat)
    Current Cadillac DeVille, Seville, and Olds Aurora (all under the back seat)
  • Options
    '70s Corvettes. Well, not in the backseat, but behind the backseat.
  • Options
    Is there a backseat?
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    At around 19K miles, I felt my first "soft" click or clunk when slowing down or slightly accelerating.

oh well! I guess I'll take my car in for either the cradle problem or the ISS.

Still love my Impala though.
  • Options
    I was trying to be smart. It should have said not in the backseat, but behind the frontseat.
  • Options
    I honestly wasn't 100%. I thought maybe they made a 2+2 option at that time.
  • Options
    nofeernofeer Member Posts: 381
    Does the yr 2000 impala have the latch system for car seats, if not can it be "retrofitted" do they have a retro fit kit for putting them in?
  • Options
    dennisw3dennisw3 Member Posts: 17
    If your brakes are squealing or just dont feel all the confidence-inspiring, or it's just that time in your Impala's life, get the Performance Friction Carbon Metalic pads....the difference in stopping power is noticable and they do NOT squeal. As of this writing, the rears for the 2001-2002 cars are just being released, but the fronts are readily available at Auto Zone. By the way, Auto Zone's warranty on the Performance Friction pads is LIFETIME, just take 'em in after they're worn down and get a brand new set!
    You'll be shocked when you take your original pads off and compare then to the PF pads at how little friction material is actually on the GM pad, it only covers about half of the backing plate, while the PF pads have much more surface area. You *will* notice a lot of pad dust until they get bedded in, but it washes off easily.
  • Options
    nick01nick01 Member Posts: 84
    every time I drive my 01 impala it sounds like a rock has hit my windshield. Does it at least once a day. I expect it to split from top to bottom at any time but it hasnt and there is no rocks hitting the glass. Anybody else had this.
    Nick
  • Options
    bsappbsapp Member Posts: 21
    I had the opportunity today to stop in at Dale Earnhardt Chevrolet in Newton, NC. A friend of mine had to pick his daughter up from camp, so I went along for the ride and asked him to go by the dealership for me since it was only about 12 miles away from the camp. I saw a nice selection of specialty vehicles which are only available from this dealership. Among those was a special edition Monte Carlo and a Chevy Z71 truck. What caught my attention was the black Impala LS (fully loaded from the factory with every option) with gray leather that had been customized by Dale Earnhardt Inc. It was lowered, custom 16 inch rims and wide tires, tastefully done ground effects and dual exhaust cut outs in the rear bumper, similar to the Pontiac Grand Prix. Of course, it had Dale Earnhardt Specialty Vehicle badges on the pillar right under the Impala emblem on both sides. This particular car had been driven by Teresa Earnhardt according to the salesman. If I remember right, it was priced around 30,585.00. I was allowed pictures of it and left the dealership really wanting it, but will have to be content with my Bronzemist LS which wears the Dale Earnhardt dealership front license plates and dealer emblem on the trunk lid.

Bill Sapp
  • Options
    That was apopular topic last summer. I'll bet it happens in your car when it's really hot outside, and the sun is baking the top of the dashboard. Maybe you've got your AC on too?
    It's the hard plastic part of the dash, the part between the soft padded area and the windshield. It expands from the heat, and apparently snaps against the equally hard low quality plastic on the A pillar.
    It drives me nuts. I flinch everytime it happens, out of instinct, like a stone is hitting the windshield.
  • Options
    In 2003 SLP will be offering a modified Monte Carlo. It will have a cat back exhaust, free flowing intake and 1.8 ratio rocker arms.
    Horsepower will be 225.
    I guess these mods will work for the Impala too.
  • Options
    nick01nick01 Member Posts: 84
    thanks Gary...If you guys have already hashed this out I wont worry about it any more. Its the only problem I've had in the 17 months I've had it. But hey...its a 4dr, 6cyl, chevy. GM has made a million of them. Good reliable cars. However, just as soon as I hit the Power Ball lottery I think I'll trade up to the cadilac :)

Nick
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    The LATCH system was installed in the 2002 Impalas. I contacted my dealer and they sent me to a body shop, saying that they don't do modifications. All I asked for was a retrofit kit.

I looked at the 2002 Impala and I believe it is a bolt in retrofit. However the only way I would really be able to tell is to remove the rear seat from a new car. I didn't think the dealer would be too keen on that idea. The LATCH system is great. My wife's new van has it and it really easy to install a car seat correctly.
  • Options
    Is it different from those eyelets that are in the rear shelf of the '01 models?