Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    The latch system is an extension of the anchors you are referring to. They similar to the ones above the seats. However the LATCH ones are in the seat. If you stick your hand between the seat cushions, close to where the regular passenger seat belts are bolted to the car, you will feel a metal loop. That's it. I believe they are federally required in all 2002 models although you may find them in earlier ones. On some new cars, you will see two dots on the seat material to mark where the loops are.

A properly secured car seat will only move 1-2 inches from side to side. Anyone who had tried to install one will know it's not easy. The Impala's seat belts automatically lock which makes it a lot easier. If you look at the seat belts in the Impala, you will notice that the driver's one is different from all the other ones. If you insert the metal part into the buckle and pull on what is now the shoulder belt, the lap belt portion will tighten. In the driver's position, if you release the shoulder belt, the lap belt will loosen. In all other seating positions, the lap belt will not loosen. This makes installing a car seat a little easier (but drives my wife, typically a passenger, nuts). If the belt does not hold like that, you have to use a really screwy metal clip to hold the belt into place.

The other part of the LATCH system is a belt that has clips on both ends and a way to cinch it. Actually, it's kinda funny. It's sorta like the old style non-retractable seat belts. And they charge $20-$30 for one.
  • Options
    Those car seats are a lot of work. I forgot how much! I'm glad my kids, 19 and 15, don't require car seats anymore. I'm glad one has been dring himself everywhere for a coupla years, and the other one is about to!
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    happened to me too for the first couple of months. Wierded me out more than anything, but it did kick up my adrenaline the first time I heard it on the e-way.

I really never thought about this, but I tool my 01 LS in for lube service and all that and mentioned to the service dept. that the dash seemd to have been separating.. well, they "fixed" it and told me there was a clip that was faulty or not attached. Ever since I haven't heard the popping.

Nice indirect method of getting them to fix the "root problem".

Tell them the dash is separating and betcha after they "fix" that problem, the popping stops.

good luck
    RR
  • Options
    jim257jim257 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought a new 2002 Impala, but declined the extended warrenty. I plan to keep the car a long time and think the extended warrenty is a good idea. Does anyone know if I can get it directly from GM and if it is better deal from GM or a dealer? Do any other places sell a GM extended warrenty cheaper than dealers such as on the Internet?
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure the onlhy place to get a GM "factory" extended warranty is from the dealer.
    I know you plan on keeping the car a long time. But, I would wait until the original warranty period has almost expired before purchasing the extended warranty.
    You really don't know if you'll be keeping the car past the 36 months/36000 miles, right now, even if you intend to.
    The dealer will probably want to charge $100 or $200 more for it at that time (they usually do), but isn't it better than spending $1100 or $1200 now for something you may not even use in 3 years?
  • Options
    nick01nick01 Member Posts: 84
    Thanks Rode......I'm going in for an oil change this week. I'll do what you said and see what they do.
    Nick
  • Options
    discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    This is a test. This is ONLY a test....
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I think everyone's over in accessories and modifications; one of our bretheren had his 2000 Impala LS stolen, and everyone is debating how they managed it without tripping the alarm.
  • Options
    blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    It has finally happened.. my 2001 LS is gone. I traded it yesterday for a 2002 Firebird Trans Am/ Ram Air. The allure of the V-8 and rear wheel drive finally got the best of me. I will miss the Impala, but it had been a good car for the 34000 miles I had it. I won’t miss the rattles in the front end that I was going to get checked out before the warranty ran out. I got $14300.00 for a trade in, which I didn’t think was too bad for 34000 miles. I couldn’t resist the last chance for a T/A, hopefully I don’t live to regret it!

Good luck to the rest of you, hope all continues to go well with your Impala’s.
    Mike
  • Options
    sola2000sola2000 Member Posts: 6
    I recently purchased a new family sedan. Before purchasing the car, I did a lot of research and extensivley test drove many cars, both domestics and imports. I drove the Chevrolet Impala, Dodge Stratus and Intrepid, Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, Mitsubishi Galant, Nissan Altima and Maxima, Pontiac Bonneville and Grand Prix, Saturn LS, Toyota Camry and the Volkswagen Passat.

After driving all those cars I would say, without question, the imports are still superior to the domestics. I remember driving the Chevy Impala and then going to the Toyota dealer, driving the Camry and being shocked at how much smoother, more refined and better designed and engineered it is than the Impala or any of the domestics.

My favorite out of all cars I drove? It was the Passat. I thought it provided the best driving experience. There really is something to that German heritage. The car I actually bought? My second favorite. A 2002 V6 Honda Accord. Why? I keep my cars a long time and I just didn't trust VW's long term reliability. I know with a Honda or Toyota product one is virtually assured bullet proof quality and reliability for years and years, and hundreds of thousands of miles. In the final analysis that still can't be said for American or German cars.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I guess that's why I still have my 2000 Impala LS with 95,000 trouble free miles. NO unscheduled maintenance or repairs (did replace the brake rotors and pads at 75,000)

Enjoy your Accord. And don't be shocked when you find out how much the parts/service cost. (I know several Accord owners, all have spent three to four times for maintenance what I have...)

To each his/her own! :)
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    My coworker just purchased a Toyota Corolla and had to take it in a month after purchase because the car was burning almost quart of oil a WEEK. He took it in and they replaced all the valve seals. Took them three weeks to complete the job. My mother in law is on her third Accord. She keeps leasing them because she enjoys them so much. So you will get your roses and lemons no matter what brand you choose.

Why didn't you try the Avalon or the Crown Vic? The Impala and Intrepid are full-size cars while the Accord, Stratus, Passat, and the others are mid-size cars.

The Accord is too small for my liking. I have to move the passenger seat pretty far up to get my baby's car seat in the back while I have no problem in the Impala.
  • Options
    discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    Congratulations on your new car, its always a great feeling getting a new car. AND, to each his own...

Having said that, I think many people still "Live In the Past", when I would have agreed that Japanese cars are better than domestic. I had a Dodge Dakota for 6 years ZERO PROBLEMS !!! I then had a Chevy C1500 for 3 years, with only 1 minor problem. My 2000 LS has been to the shop for "clicking" (from the cradle), but has been great ever since. 34,600 miles to date...

I know several people with japanese cars, some swear by them, and some swear "AT" them. I think this board, personel experience and feedback from friends has led me to believe that ANY car maker can do good, or bad...

Anyway, from my experience, my impala drives, manuvers, handles BETTER than any of the other cars I test drove, and for me, the accord was way down on my list...

LESSON LEARNED: Everyone has their own opinion, experiences, likes/dislikes, and I will never make generalized statements about ANY car manufacturer, car model, etc....

T O E A C H H I S O W N
  • Options
    jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    A guy posted this in "anything goes" forum at: www.regalgs.org

"Actually, the Impala gets the L67 this year, and there is talk of a HD Impala for law enforcement. Very similar to when the public had the Impala SS and law enforcement had the Caprice 9C1. Basically the same car."

I own a '98 Regal GS (supercharged 3800). Believe me, Impala buyers will love the extra ponies and torque.
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I have the 2k_ls and my mom has a 2002 Camry loaded and I drove it the other day. I think the Impalas handling is superior to the Camry. I was not impressed.
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I'd think the Camry would ride better as it's squishier, and the firmer Impala would handle better. The Camry has a higher quality interior than the usualy Playschool-like GM plastic, and though quite dowdy, looks a lot more cohesive and clean than the Impala.
  • Options
    rbslosbergrbslosberg Member Posts: 6
    My 2000 Impala's doors do not always open/close with the keyless remote. The remotes tested out fine(have new batteries) and the car's "receiver" was replaced but the problem still persists. Any ideas?
  • Options
    norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    My 2000 LS sometimes acts up like yours but only while unlocking. Each time I press on the unlock button firmly and squarely, I find it works ok. I think I am just not taking the time to press squarely on the button. My son in law bought a 2001 Accord. The only thing I like better on the Accord is the door trim and shift council area. It is quiet and mannerly but, my LS handles them twisty roads better and performs better. The only problem he has showed me was a glue on emblem fell off. Thats one more problem than what I have had. My 2000 LS at 33000 miles is still trouble free, and I enjoy driving it as much as when it was new. Enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Went to my local chevy dealer in Ontario Canada yesterday and saw my first group of 8, 2003 Impalas. The 2000-2002 5 spoke LS wheels are now an option on the base model. I believe the 2003 LS standard wheels are the same with the new Diamond cut wheels an option. (not sure though) No other changes noticed other then some standard equipment is now optional and a new color or two.
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Prior to my current 2000 Impala LS, I had a 1995 Honda Accord. There wasn't anything that I missed on the Accord. As for quality, I had several issues with it (which I won't mention). The only thing I like about Honda is the aftermarket accesories. My Accord was almost decked out with cool aftermarket parts.

My father currently drives a 1998 Camry. In my opinion, I think the Camry drives nicer than my previous Accord. Much more refine and smoother. As compare to the Camry vs Impala, I think the Impala offers more bang for the buck. In my opinion, the performance and handling is far superior in my Impala vs his Camry. The thing I hate most about the Camry is the spongy brakes (or lack of), and spongy suspension. Every time I make a turn while driving my father's Camry, I feel like I'm about to lose control of the vehicle.

If I was to start all over again, I would definitely get an Impala. You're hearing this from a guy who is an import lover (me). I have already passed up on the G35. My next vehicle will probably be Impala SS with the new redesign model.
  • Options
    drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Just came back from a trip to Toronto, Canada yesterday. In there you see tons of Impala base sedans in Taxi Cab service as well as police package marked/unmarked Impala sedans. You see these cars tooling around metro Toronto streets and highways day in and day out 24 hours a day. I did not see a single one of them stranded by the side of the road. These cars may lack some of the "perceived" refinement attributed to the so called "Superior Imports" but truth to be told is that the Impala is a sturdy, durable, reliable and safe workhorse trusted by Taxi cab companies and police departments alike. The Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) has an even fleet of police Impala and Crown Victoria sedans. I did only come accross 2 Impala LS models...one was a Taxi and the other (Navy Blue with rear spoiler)was used as unmarked Toronto police car.

So before anyone comes in here and start throwing cheap shots at the Impala, be aware that this car is far, far, far away from being even related to the poor quality domestic products made 2 decades ago. This car is solid and after seeing them in heavy duty action up in Canada, I am glad I chose one over the more popular Japanese offerings.

By the way, in Toronto I saw several new Toyota Camry sedans used for Taxi Cab service. Not a single Honda. Probably the Hondas can't handle this kind of abuse, wouldn't they?
  • Options
    wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    What you saw in Canada, is why I considered and finally leased my 2001 LS. It was designed for fleet use. I have not been disappointed. The acid test will come in September when my family and I will drive the wheels off of it from here (Cheyenne) to San Diego nonstop (except for gas and bladder relief) and back again after a brief respite of three days. Just switched to Mobil1. Will change the oil and filter one more time and put in a K&N Air Filter before the trip.
  • Options
    sweigardsweigard Member Posts: 9
    Here in Northwestern Ontario, the Ontario provinvial police are using the Impala and Suburbans pretty well exclusively, the Impalas of course for all highway work.

Several officers have told me it is the best cruiser they have had yet, although a couple still liked the 95 era Caprice for size and power.

Their comments plus the looks of the car led me to purchase a 2002 sedan with the 3.8 option which includes the touring suspension and all that.

Not even at 1200 miles yet, and I am extremely pleased, yearning to take a longer trip out west to get a real feel for the car on the Trans Canada.
  • Options
    "If I was to start all over again, I would definitely get an Impala. You're hearing this from a guy who is an import lover (me). I have already passed up on the G35. My next vehicle will probably be Impala SS with the new redesign model."

Amen to that brother! I am also eagerly awaiting the next generation, Brian Nesbitt designed, (The guy that created the PT Cruiser) RWD, V8 Impala SS sedan. If the next Impala doesn't live up to the name, then I will seriously consider a Cadillac CTS with the 3.6L engine or even the confirmed 5.7L V8 on the upcoming CTSi model.

I am also an import car lover. I have a new 2002 MINI Cooper currently on order. We are expecting to take delivery sometime in September '02. Can't wait!

Why did you pass up on the G35? I am not too crazy about it, but it seems to be a very nice car, at least on paper. I still prefer the edgy looks of the CTS.
  • Options
    copychickcopychick Member Posts: 62
    I''m one of those people who has gone in the opposite direction of Japanese cars. After owning both an Accord and Outback, I do not find them to be superior to the Impala.

The Accord's interior was cheap and uncomfortable--plastic pieces broke easily and were pricey to replace. Honda's customer service was lousy and I was treated like just so much garbage by their overpriced, surly service dept when things went wrong with the car (and there were A LOT of things that went wrong with that car). I was especially unhappy with Honda's "Silent Recall" system of not letting owners know that there is something significantly wrong with the car until it happens (and then they tell you they were "just about to send out a notice about it" and eventually fix it for free).

I've been a passenger in a couple of '02 Camrys recently and they're ok, but nothing to write home about. Certainly, to get a Camry with comparable power and options to a loaded Impala LS, you need to spend quite a bit more for basically a rather uninteresting car.

Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    >>>from here (Cheyenne) to San Diego nonstop (except for gas and bladder relief)<<<

I can't help on the bladder thing, but if you avoid the fast food places, you may not need the gas relief.
  • Options
    wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    You have remeber how the human body acts to increasing pressure (6100 ft to Sea Level) ;-)
    Let you folks know the trip went whenit's over.
  • Options
    Enjoy San Diego. It has, arguably, the nicest all-around weather in the US. Enjoy the ride, too. The Impala shines on the highway.
  • Options
    <<Why did you pass up on the G35? I am not too crazy about it, but it seems to be a very nice car, at least on paper>>

1) I guess I don't believe in paying premuim gas to drive a sports sedan. Poor fuel economy as well.

2) Rear seats don't fold down. This option is a must for me because of my mountain bike. Also, I love going to Home Depot and buying stuff that can fit in the trunk. The Impala is a cargo hauler!!

3) Why buy a V6 when I can get a V8 Impala SS for the same cost? GM's V8 probably has better fuel mileage as well.

4) Don't want to lose my GM points.

If the Impala SS is anything less than the Chrysler 300M in terms of amenities, luxury, and styling; adios Impala SS!! For $30K, I expect more luxurious interior than the current LS.
  • Options
    Just wondering if you guys think that the 2000-2002 Impala LS have better resale value than the 2003 Impala base/LS? My thinking is that the 2000-2002 Impala has standard side/dual airbags/ ABS brakes, 16" LS wheels, and dual temperature zone. Whereas, the 2003 Impala base/LS will cost more, plus the standard features you find in the 2000-2002 as standard, will become "optional" for 2003 model. Perhaps, the 2003 is no longer "more bang for the buck", as we were acustomed to on the 2000-2002 Impala. Furthermore, since it cost more to buy a 2003 Impala, this should have retain the resale value of the 2000-2002 Impala.
  • Options
    You're right about the G35's mileage. Just today at lunch, a coworker told me he was getting around 13mpg in the city!
  • Options
    Recently a few posters on this board indicated that they had their used Impala up for sale (2000-2001) and had no luck or very little in selling the car. With continued rebates and low financing costs still available from GM brand new models still look more appealing. Also the Impala (2000-2002) does not have dual side airbags, just on the drivers side. I believe Chevrolet is starting to realize that vehicle prices are climbing beyond the reach of Fleet companies and the average working man/woman that Chevrolet targets its products.

I own a 2001 LS. When I purchased the car new if the side airbag was an option I wouldn't have chosen that option. Whats it worth a few hundred $. No lock on the 2003 glove compartment (who needs it) I am not sure if the starting price of the 2003 Impala is higher with the deletes for 2003. A loaded LS today is not cheap. One disappointment to me is that they offer 3 interior colors for the base model (biege, gray, & blue) and only 2 color choices for the LS.

2004 Impala SS. I don't believe there will be any major sheet metal changes for this car. More cosmetic and higher output engine. These changes will probably ad $4-$5 K. I can't believe they are sticking with the 3800 engine supercharged. Three years ago the Oldsmobile 3500 was touted to be the replacement for the 3800. (3800 good track record) The new 4.3 straight 6 (bullit proof engine) would be a cheaper and better choice. Lighter, cheaper and just as powerful. I can't see the Police laying out extra money for a supercharged engine (not compatible for extreme use) Just my opinion.......
  • Options
    I am not sure how the new "decontenting" policies imposed by Bob Lutz are going to affect the Impala in the sales arena in the long run. For instance, the base Impala sedan when it was introduced in 1999 as a 2000 model, did not offer either cruise control, ABS brakes, traction control, dual zone temp controls, keyless entry,folding rear seat,power seats, Driver's side airbag, alloy wheels and CD player as standard equipment. All of these were and are still options in the base Impala with the exception of the dual temperature controls which are now standard in the base sedan model as of the 2002 model year.

So as you can see, the Impala has been pretty much a "Decontented" car from the get go and this has not had any negative impact on sales for what I can see so far. Standard equipment to be found in the Impala sedan are power windows, locks, mirrors, power steering, power 4 wheel disc brakes, tilt steering wheel, AM/FM stereo cassette, 3.4L V6 engine, 16" tires with plastic wheel covers, automatic transmission, folding center console, rear window defroster, dual front airbags. front manual bench seats, lap/shoulder belts in all seating positions and remote trunk lid release.

The only items that GM could possibly eliminate from the standard equipment list (Very doubtful due to the positioning of the Impala in Chevy's car lineup) is replacing the power windows with crank windows, make the outside mirror manual, delete the power door locks, replace the rear disc brakes with drums (A la Ford Taurus), offer a manual transmission and replace the 3.4L V6 with a 2.0L 4 banger from the Cavalier.....ain't gonna happen folks.

I can see a bit more decontenting in the Impala LS models but remember that most of us bought our cars with option packages or separate options bundled into the price.

Impalas can be had for well below sticker in top of rebates or 0% financing.

As far as resale is concerned someone said in here that had gotten $14,300 for a 2001 Impala LS with 34K miles in a trade. That's a pretty damn good trade in price, in Honda Territory for a car with obviously too many miles on the clock.

Enjoy your cars. Resale values are pretty much smoke and mirrors....resale depends mostly in local market conditions, demand for the model, the options you have in your car and how well it has been kept.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    The other problem with folks quoting their resale success is not knowing the total deal they were involved in. They may have gotten good money on trade in, but paid sticker price on their new vehicle, paid a higher interest rate on their loan, etc. Unless someone sells their used car directly to an individual, or as a separate transaction from the new car buy, the "true" value of the trade in is debatable.
  • Options
    Its true. The best indicator of a car's resalve value are often provided by either dealer's used car auctions and private buyer sales. But again resale values are tied to too many variables. For instance, GM cars are not very popular in California but meanwhile they enjoy better demand in the midwest and northeast markets. So you can expect to sell your used GM car better and faster in the Midwest or Northeast than what you would do in California or the Pacific Northwest.

In my neck of the woods, used Impala LS models are very few and far in between, hence they do command good resale values. But the picture changes from region to region.

I wonder how the Impala resale values are holding up in Canada.
  • Options
    Most used Impalas in southern Ontario (I live near Toronto) sold are ex fleet cars. I looked at a few before I decided to purchase a New 2001 LS last year. A very few would be from personal owners.(I looked for them) The fleet Impalas that I have looked at on dealers lots are pretty beat up. You can smell the cigarette smoke in them. Many door dings. Scrapes at the back bumper below the trunk where users have dragged their luggage. Wheels scraped and bent. Rugs have stains etc.. The biggest concern about fleet cars are the 2 or 300 different drivers with all different driving habits. To spend big $'s on a car I opted to spend a few more and buy new. 0% financing. No regrets!!
  • Options
    These are the actual averages at dealer auctions for the month of July. These are the auctions where dealers buy and sell. Lenders and fleets sell there as well.
    Bear in mind that a dealer would not pay you more for your trade-in than they could buy it or sell it for at auction.
    If someone gets more for their trade, then it is because the dealer is charging more for the new vehicle, more for the financing, or is making big profit in aftermarket items like warranty or dealer options.

2000 Base Impalas:
    Nat'l - $9700
    West - $9000
    Southwest - $9300
    Midwest - $9900
    Northeast - $9600
    Southeast - $9900

2000 LS:
    Nat'l - $12100
    West - $11300
    SW - $11700
    MW - $12400
    NE - $12000
    SE - $12400

2001 Base
    Nat'l - $11400
    West - $10700
    SW - $11200
    MW - $11700
    NE - $11600
    SE - $11700

2001 LS:
    Nat'l - $14200
    West - $13400
    SW - $13900
    MW - $14600
    NE - $14500
    SE - $14600

These numbers are definitely lower than many imported sedans that cost about the same as the Impala when new. It is not a knock on Impala quality, only the facts as related to wholesale resale value.
    (example: 2000 Honda Accord EX V6 Nat'l avg is $15200, 2001 is $17870. 2000 Camry XLE is $16300, 2001 is $16800.)
  • Options
    My understanding is that most GM cars will have a price increase across the board with standard features (strip down version). Now, if some of the standard features in 2002 become optional (side /passenger airbag, ABS, traction control, and etc)in 2003, then obviously there will be a markup in dealer pricing. Thus, not only will 2003 cars cost more, but the dealer markup on option package will become even more expensive for consumers.

My conclusion is that if 2003 cost more with similar option as 2000-2002, this should help with the resale value for 2000-2002. It would NOT be prudent for me to sell my 2000 LS today. I should wait by mid 2003 model to sell my Impala. Hopefully, people who are shopping for 2003 model will consider a "pre-own" 2000-2002 models as a "value" purchase, since 2003 will no longer have drastic rebate and 0% financing.
  • Options
    Hopefully, people who are shopping for 2003 model will consider a "pre-own" 2000-2002 models as a "value" purchase...

I'll drink to that!
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    I shutter when I look at those figures garypen.

I was looking around on Acura's site at the '03 CL-S. Requested a quote from a local dealer and during that process went to KBB to check on the value (or lack of) of the '02 LS.

Man, that's the pits, but I still think our Impala's are worth more. When I do sell. it will be privately, fo' sho'.

RR
  • Options
    talenthuntertalenthunter Member Posts: 7
    While preparing for the final warranty work on our 2000 Silverado I came upon the description of what some say is a defect in many GM engines: piston slap. There is a web page that an irate consumer has created to highlight the piston slap problem. http://www.angelfire.com/tx5/gmpistonslap/index.html After listening to the audio clip on that web site and reading the descriptions, I have convinced myself that our truck does not exhibit piston slap. HOWEVER...I found that our 2001 Impala with 3.8L V6 does indeed have something that sounds like piston slap. In particular, there is a rapid ticking with periodicity of about a half-second that can be heard when listening near the front of the engine. Supposedly piston slap is loudest with a cold engine, but in our case the ticking is heard even after the engine has been driven for 10 miles. My question is this: Has this ever been discussed here? And, have any of you encountered the problem.
  • Options
    If GM is going to introduce Impala SS, why bother introducing it with the V6, front wheel drive? Come on! If they are going to do the SS, at least do it right the first time!

Using the Buick Regal engine is a desperate attempt by GM to compete with Altima V6 and the new Accord V6 with 240hp. With the new Accord V6 with 240hp coming out soon, perhaps the Impala LS with 200hp is now obsolete in the marketplace. The Accord V6 EX (fully loaded) should be price around $25K. Why buy 2003 Impala LS or SS if you can get a totally new design Accord for lesser price and more features? Keep in mind that the Accord offers more hp.
  • Options
    Many reasons.

Size.

Quality.

Durablity. Including a PUSHROD (not variable valve timing) engine.

Choice.

Value for the size class (Impala is a full size car, though some classify it as mid-size. The 2oo3 Accord IS larger, but still not as large as an Impala)

And according to Edmunds, that new Accord with the V-6 in full dress will set you back 27k this fall. Their first drive also called the car "not sporty" and implied it is as soulless as a Camry. They kept making references to Altimas and Passats and Mazda6's.

Also, the SS is a 2oo4, not 2oo3, and the horsepower and torque are, as yet, unannounced. Don't be surprised if they are more than the current supercharged version.

My question to you is a simple one. If you are so certain that an Accord and not an Impala is the car for you, why waste your time preaching to the unconverted? It ain't like you are gonna find a lot of people to agree with you here.
  • Options
    A 2003 Impala in full dress will also MSRP at $27K or more. (my 2001 LS msrp was $26 without the heated seats.)

I think there are plenty of folks here, that while happy with their Impalas, are not married to Impalas, to GM, or to so-called domestic cars in general, when considering their next vehicle purchase. They are only machines. And, one must balance one's needs and desires with cost and value.

Henry has had his Impala for some time now, and is considering possible alternatives for his next vehicle. He has only been pointing out what he perceives as stupid marketing decisions by GM. Many experts would agree. While I'm not a fan of the current Honda, Toyota, and Nissan mid size sedans, he could do a lot worse than choosing an Accord EX V6 for his next car.

RodeRacer has always been happy with his Impala, but is contemplating a change to a CL-S. As an owner of an Impala and a CL, I can honestly say, he won't be disappointed, unless he really needs the larger interior and cargo space of the Impala.

I'm sure for every 3 or 4 die hard Chevy folks here, there are one or two that will consider Ford, Chrysler, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, VW, etc for their next vehicle. There might even be a few that'll set their sights higher on a Mercedes, Jaguar, Lexus, even Cadillac or Lincoln. God bless 'em.

Feeling insulted or getting worked up by someone else's choice of vehicle brand, or their feelings about your vehicle, is akin to being insulted by their choice of television or washing machine, and their feelings about your brand of appliances.
  • Options
    Hardly worked up here! My Impala has 95,900 miles on it now. It will soon be replaced by one of three cars (well, sorta soon):

*Another Impala, this an SS. Remains to be seen. I, too, would prefer rear wheel drive, all other things being equal.

*a 2oo4 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (had one, prefer cars seen to be sleepers. Do not like unnecessary law enforcement attention to cars whose drivers are perceived as fitting a profile of speeding, having necessary assets and attitudes to pay tickets without going to court or worse)

*a Mazda6, probably the hatchback, not due out til next summer.

You really should go look at that 2oo3 Honda article on Edmunds:

http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadtests/firstdrive/68223/article.html

Then again, remember how they diss the Impala!

Still, it isn't just then. Real interesting reading here:

http://www.autoextremist.com

and the featured item is the Honda Accord.

The point of my post was not to diss the poster (nor you). It was to point out that there are many out there who are less than utterly delighted with the upcoming 2oo3 Accord. And that an Impala is not necessarily a lower quality vehicle than an Accord.

Perceptions. Differences of opinion. That is one thing that helps make the world go round (and sometimes is a problem as well!)

• Options
    "If GM is going to introduce Impala SS, why bother introducing it with the V6, front wheel drive? Come on! If they are going to do the SS, at least do it right the first time!"

Agreed, but unfortunately currently there is not a single GM domestically sourced and suitable low cost RWD car platform in their parts bin. This is the real reason why, Bob Lutz, decided to import the Holden Monaro CV8 (a.k.a 2004 Pontiac GTO coupe) from Australia to the United States, to quickly bring to market an existing RWD platform while "buying time" to develop locally a low cost car RWD platform. The Chevy BelAir concept showned earlier this year at the 2002 NAIAS show in Detroit, represents what the next low cost GM RWD could be: A twiked truck platform (Trailblazer based) featuring hydroformed construction using the 4.2L DOHC in line 6cyl engine found in the new midsize GM triplets Suvs.

No, the Cadillac CTS's RWD Sigma platform does not count. GM has stated from the beginning that the Sigma platform is too expensive to serve as the foundation of a full size RWD Chevy sedan. In fact the Sigma for now will be kept just for Cadillac and will be slated onto the upcoming Midsize Cadillac car based SUV (A la Lexus RX300).

The next generation Impala sedan is rumored to be RWD/V8 as it will also be filling the niche left by the now discontinued Camaro F-body coupe. You will not see a RWD Impala until at least 2005 or 2006 when the car is moved out of the current FWD only W-body platform.
  • Options
    You can get an Impala with rebate money or 0% financing on top of your best negotiated price (Often 1% to 2% over invoice or closer). That $26K Impala LS can still be had for $21K to $22K after all rebates, GM card points and what not have been applied to the final sale price.

You can't do that with a Honda, specially with an all new 2003 Honda Accord model (First year model I might add with unknown quality bugs) about to be launched in the market. The Accord is still more expensive comparably equipped and it is a smaller car with less shoulder room and a smaller trunk. I think the Accord is a terrific car in many ways but I just don't see the real advantage of choosing one over say the Chevy Impala. Besides I find the 2003 Accord sedan fugly and another prime example of bad taste bestowed by a new generation of Japanese auto designers, whose sources of inspiration are Pokemon and Sony Playstation video games. Honda and Toyota needs to steal some designers from Mazda, Nissan, BMW and VW.

No I am not a Bow Tie die hard fan, I just happen to buy the best product, for the best price and also the product that best suits my needs at a specific point in time. I have a considerable amount of GM credit card points accrued and while this in a way "Forces me" to consider a new GM vehicle the next time around (3 or 4 years from now) I am still open to many other choices that maybe coming down the pipe line at that time, foreign or domestic.

We Have a 2002 MINI Cooper on order right now, a BMW product. GM's current small car choices are pretty lousy with the exception of the new Pontiac Vibe. We liked the Vibe and altough the MINI Cooper and the Vibe while being small cars are different in their mission and purpose, we tought the MINI was superior in safety, build quality (The Vibe is a Toyota but the MINI wins hands down in fit/finish/materials) has an extensive list of standard safety features not offered or missing in the vibe (6 airbags, ABS, traction control, Electronic brake force distribution, cornering brake control, wireless throttle gas pedal, drive by wire steering system, etc). Both cars arrived at the same price ball park, the MINI is despite of being a 3 door hatchback and somewhat smaller than the Vibe in terms of cargo space (The MINI is surprinsingly spacious inside)had many more features for the money such as standard leather seats, Alpine CD 8 speaker CD stereo, etc not to mention the cool factor and awesome resale values. The MINI has a projected resale value of 58% off MSRP after 4 years of service!

GM did a great job with the Vibe but missed the boat in standard safety features and engine power. The 1.8L VVT-i Celica derived 4 banger engine is a dog on a vehicle that weights close to 3,000 pounds laden weight.
  • Options
    <<If you are so certain that an Accord and not an Impala is the car for you, why waste your time preaching to the unconverted? It ain't like you are gonna find a lot of people to agree with you here.>>

LOL! First of all, I love my Impala. Secondly, I"m not preaching to anyone. I am merely stating my opinion.

If I had $25K to spend, which car would I choose: 2003 Impala LS or 2003 Accord EX V6? 200 hp versus 240 hp? No brainer for me, I'll choose the 240 hp. Afterall, I dont' want a punk next to me with a V6 Accord beating me at the street light. LOL

As for Edmunds statement about "not sporty", who cares! With so many Honda aftermarket accesories, I can make the Accord a rocket ship.
  • Options
    You mean GM AND Toyota (mostly) did a great with the Vibe, no? It's built on the Corolla platform in a Toyota plant in Fremont, where the Corolla is made. (Officially, its the GM/Toyota NUMMI plant, but it is mostly run my Toyota execs, to Toyota manufacturing standards.)

I would imagine that the 180HP GT engine shouldn't be too bad mated with that 6 speed stick. After all, the GM 3.4L 170HP engine w/Auto in my previous Grand Am moved that 3400 lb car pretty good.

BTW, you might want to read up on what many of the owners of the new Mini have to say about its build quality, especially the engine. A lot of owners are not that happy. But, then, it is a first generation model.

Many have taken advantage of the current high resale value, and have already traded theirs in after only a few weeks. I doubt very much if it will retain that relative value after 4 years. Right now, it's a hot car. Will it be in 4 years? Only time will tell.

As for what's fugly, and what isn't - Nissan follows the same trends as Honda and Toyota. Their excitement lies under the hood. The Altima has the same basic style as the Camry and 2003 Accord. It has nothing to do with Pokemon or video games or other pseudo racist BS. Japan is a trendy society. The current trend in moderately priced mid size sedans is that look.

Personally, I don't care for the VW/Audi look, and BMW is only marginally more attractive. To me, Mercedes is the only German brand with real style and beauty. Volvo, Jaguar, and Mazda, are also attractive TO ME.

Beauty is in the eye...