Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    It appears to be that Impalas equipped with the interior light group package (2 rear mounted courtesy lights/map reading lights mounted in the passenger assist handles) are in for a tough time if you want to replace a burnt bulb with the same exact factory spec bulb.

The original replacement minibulb is not available for sale in the US, only in Canada. The original factory bulb is 12V, 6 watts (Extended life rating to 1000 hours)wedge type. The closest bulb replacement match that can be purchased in the US is the "168" wedge type minibulb, rated at 12V 4.9 Watts.

The 168 4.9 watt bulb does not provide the same quality of brightness as the factory 6 watt bulb. The 6 watt bulb does not exist on any US OEM bulb replacement autoguides that I have been able to check.

I am having my dealer placing an order directly to the Oshawa factory for a batch of the 6 watt wedge base minibulbs.

What a hassle!
  • Options
    Impalas are also selling briskly in my neck of the woods. LS models are a harder find.
  • Options
    With all those pickup trucks sold, I hope the heavy metal and country radio stations don't run out of bumper stickers.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Just today at lunch we were having a Ford vs. Chevy debate, and I made the comment that the Ford F150 probably wouldn't be the #1 vehicle if you combined the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra numbers (they're basically the same vehicles, just badged differently). Glad to see I wasn't just blowing smoke; adding the two together gives GM 492,000 to Ford's 479,000 - not a huge lead, but a lead none the less.
  • Options
    I never understood why some people get into those heated Ford vs. GM debates. After all, why should anyone that isn't directly related to the two companies give a crap about which huge, faceless, couldn't-care-less-about-the-consumer mega-corporation sold more vehicles than the other?
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    You know, I sorta remember someone else here having that problem. Unfortunately, I do not remember the resolution.

Wonder what the bulb in the mirror is...
  • Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I agree with garypen that the manufacturers don't put synthetic oil in their cars because they don't want to pay for it. It's not up to the manufacturers to decide if synthetic is better. Look at the studies. It is better. And it lasts longer. Folks are saying that you can now use organic oil up to 7500 miles. Synthetic lasts even longer as long as it's not more than a year or allowed to build up water. That is, it needs to be used for road miles, not just in town. If in town only, even synthetic needs to be changed more often.

I disagree with garypen about changing the oil without changing the filter. A dirty filter filters BETTER than a clean one, as long as it's not clogged. In fact, a filter is at its best just before it clogs. That's because dirt has to pass through other dirt before it can pass through the filter media.

Clogging a filter is very bad. Using a filter to its best ability is good.
  • Options
    So why doesn't someone offer a "clogged filter monitor"? Seems like it'd be pretty easy to do, since I think most filters have a by-pass valve on them in the event they clog. You'd think it wouldn't be too hard to devise some type of either on-board monitor, or at least some type of device on the filter that pops up or something once the by-pass valve has been triggered.
  • Options
    iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    Well.. GM really does a great job with pinching pennies.. they are practically squeezing all of the copper out of them for crying out loud!

I just stopped over to a local Chevy Dealership to see what the 2003's look like, sure enough they had several LS's and one LS High Sport model. Luckily the doors were open on all models, immediately I noticed that the driver's side air bad is GONE! To make sure that I wasn't loosing my mind, I checked out all of the 2003's (including the fully loaded High Sport model) and NONE had the air bag.

Well, I dunno about you all, but I sure am glad that I opted to purchase a 2002 Impala LS this past June as opposed to waiting for a 2003! At least having the air bag helps to decrease the insurance! Additionally, the aluminum wheels on the 2003 models look pretty crappy to me! They don't even look as nice (or as solidly built) as the original aluminum wheel setup!

Phewww.. just my two cents! Out of all the lousy ways to save a buck from an already DYNAMITE vehicle! Geesh!

Thanks!

IExplore2000@aol.com
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    That is why I believe 2000-2002 Impalas offer more bang for the buck. For those who are looking to buy 2003, they will be grossly disappointed with the added options at higher cost. If we're lucky, our 2000-2002 Impala should have better resale value thanks to Lutz's decision to penny pinch on 2003 standard safety features.

By the way, what was the sticker price on those LS that you saw?
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Hopefully, someone at GM monitors this board.

I will be replacing my 2000 LS this fall, either with another, a Pontiac Grand Prix GTP (owned a 98), or a Mazda6. If I can't get a GM car equipped at least as well as my 2000 LS (and yes, I like the coinholder, but safety equipment is FAR more important here), Mr. Lutz and company will be to blame when I start tooling around in what amounts to a Japanese Ford built in Flat Rock.

I really don't understand it. The Hondas of the world incorporate "surprise and delight" features into their cars while watching costs. Why would GM take out features so obvious and so important as side airbags? Many dealers will not order the options, as low price seems to drive most sales people.

Well, time will tell...
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Honda did indeed include standard ABS on the new Accord so GM taking it off the base Impala seems like a stupid thing to do now. That said, many sedans offer ABS and other safety devices as options including Camry. I understand why it's done, but I prefer not being nickel and dimed for things I will want (like dual air bags and ABS).

We just bought a 02 Alero 3 months ago and I read the 03 will have ABS optional now but they will reduce the price $200. Add the ABS back and you pay more for the car. I'm not sure GM is doing the right thing here on a bread and butter car like the Impala but like johnclineii said, time will tell.
  • Options
    cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    It's been 2 weeks tonight. with no word from my Impala.............Nathan could you let everyone know about my car being stolen so that everybody doesnt get a false sense of security with thier factory alarm.....and dont leave any valuables in your car either.......like my entire cd collection....
  • Options
    Cabello: Sorry to hear about your Impala loss. At this point in time consider it pretty much gone and a writeoff. get on with the insurance company so they can expedite your total loss check. No factory or aftermarket vehicle antitheft system is 100% fool proof. Professional thieves are always 2 steps ahead of the game and they know how to defeat most alarm car systems. In your case, they bypassed the Passlock ignition and the factory alarm, fuel cutoff mechanism. These thieves are very well versed in the loopholes present in these antitheft devices. I think the Passkey system (Not offered in the Impala but found in the Camaro, Corvette, etc) is a bit more efficient that the Passlock system in terms of given the thief a harder time at his attempts to bypass it.

When the police finds your car (If ever or in one piece) I am sure they'll know exactly how they broke into it. Remember that the ignition lock cylinder is mounted in the dashboard, not the steering column as most other cars.

But like our resident expert said, a tow truck and a flatbed can do the trick. I also suspect your car is somewhere South of the border sipping some tequilas....

The base Impala never had standard ABS brakes from the get go, only the 4-wheel disc brake setup. I checked a few 2003 LS models and with the exception of the new "Diamond cut" alloy wheels, the car otherwise essentially looks identical to the '00,'01 and '02's.

The price increase is about $400 over the 2002 LS.

A lot of items are options or not even offered in most Japanese bread and butter sedans. You want ABS, Alloys, CD player, power windows, etc, etc? You'll pay for them boy!

To see the extent of the "Dicontenting" on these cars take an Impala base sedan as the baseline. If GM is removing the standard power windows, taking out the A/C, switching the V6 engine for a four banger and so forth, then we can safely say that they are hurting the car's overall value. But otherwise?

BTW, the driver's side airbag is also an option when selecting the power front bucket/bench seats. Always has, always will. If you buy a car with manual adjusting seats, you can't get the driver's side airbag.
  • Options
    I also suspect your car is somewhere South of the border sipping some tequilas....

A Tijuana Taxi ferrying touristas from the border, with a crown shaped air freshener on the dash, 13" wheels with whitewall tires that stick out too far, and the traditional "La Cucaracha" horn that dates back to the Conquistadors.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    One of the agents in my office had her suburban stolen. She pretty much wrote it off until she got a call from the police a month later telling her it was in the impound lot and she needed to come and get it and pay the $230+ storage fee because it had been there for over two weeks!
    Let's here it for our men in blue, always on top of things.
  • Options
    My bro-in-law had his car recovered in only a few days. It was quite a surprise, especially in NYC. However, in that short time, the theives managed to lower the springs, extend the wheels, and replace the stock steering wheel with one of those sophisticated chain link wheels.
    I don't remember if they replaced the horn with one that played the hat dance, though.
    I would take the insurance check, and let the insurance company keep the car, if recovered. there's a good chance that it will also be mutilated or mutated, if they ever find it.
  • Options
    I would not bother accepting a recovered stolen car. I would be disgusted just sitting in the driver's seat and the taught of a [non-permissible content removed](s) having touched my car makes me puke. What if the car was used to commit yet another crime? Yuck!

Take the insurance check and move on...plenty of cars to go around...
  • Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    All Canadian Impalas had standard ABS. Perhaps they will keep that up here then. Don't see any 03 Canadian specs on-line yet.
  • Options
    Hey, perhaps the Mexican Federal Police sold the Impala. I've seen many shiny black Impalas down in Mexicali! :)

<<Why would GM take out features so obvious and so important as side airbags? Many dealers will not order the options, as low price seems to drive most sales people.>>

GM has to penny pinch on the 2003 models because SOMEONE has to pay up for the loss profit on all those 2002 vehicles with BIG discounting and 0% financing!
  • Options
    jrosasmcjrosasmc Member Posts: 1,711
    Is it still possible to purchase an '02 or '03 base Impala with just the speedometer and no tachometer? I'm a guy of simple means and I want as bare an instrument panel as possible. I have seen many '00s and '01s without the tach, but on base models only. I believe all LS models have the tach as standard.
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    According to the factory service manual, all 2000+ pages, Those lights are called "Side Rail Lamps" and are bulb # is 168
  • Options
    I posted this info many times before but here it is again for the newbees. According to a friend of mine who is a certified GM mechanic, the proper time for the 1st oil change is 1500 to 2000 miles. The reason is that special break-in oil is used to break in the engine properly ans it should not be taken out to soon. It also contains a dye that will show up under a special light if you have a leak. I was also warned not to make a full throttle acceleration untill atleast 1500k. I did confirm that special oil for myself. It is green like anti-freeze.
  • Options
    "According to the factory service manual, all 2000+ pages, Those lights are called "Side Rail Lamps" and are bulb # is 168"

Thanks 2k_Impala_ls. But, does the service manual specify the candle power or watt rating of the recommended 168 Bulb? The original factory bulb is a 168 6 Watt unit not sold in the US, only Canada. The factory bulb provides a nice and very bright illumination quality. The most "powerful" 168 bulb sold in the US is rated at 4.9 watts which is barely adequate to provide illumination to the back seat quarters.

Night_owl: Do you know about places where they import hard to find automotive bulbs?
  • Options
    wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    I strongly disagree with the logic that a nearly clogged oil filter (or any other filter) is a more efficent filter media than a clean one. The filter is designed to trap particles above a certain size and maintain a specified flow rate. As the filter becomes dirty, the flow rate decreases. Eventually the filter will no longer pass the fluid at the correct volume and and, if equipped, will bypass allowing dirty fluid to circulate. Thereby undoing the good the filter was doing prior to failure. Dirty fluid is better than no fluid.

With oil filters being cheaper than synthetic oil, maybe it might be "cheaper" to change the filter and keep the oil longer and let the oil monitor decide when it is time to change. Personally I wouldn't go that route. Leaving a dirty oil filter with new oil is definitly "penny wise, pound foolish".

Remember oil performs a variety of functions:

Lubricates

Cleans

Cools

Check these websites for info:

http://www.mobil1.com/index.jsp

http://www.amsoil.com/frequent.htm

I've switched to Mobil1 after 13000 miles. The vehicle is used in short stop and go traffic in dusty conditions.
  • Options
    wyoimp - You are correct sir. (IMHO)

drivin' - I think the difference in watt ratings between the Canadian and US versions of the 168 bulb might be a matter of our standards being different. If I'm not mistaken, the designation "168" signifies not only the physical size, but the electrical characteristics, as well. That is why the 194 bulbs fit, but had such lower output.

Once you install the new US 168 bulb, see if there really is a difference in light output. If there is, it will probably be negligible at best between 4.9 and 6 watts. If it's really noticible, just change both of them, and VOILA they now match!
  • Options
    I don't know anyone offhand that carries unique automotive bulbs, but after all this traffic, I was going to start looking.
  • Options
    drivinisfun:
    Try calling CandlePower. They carry many automotive light bulbs. They were my supplier at one time for Yamaha Motors. His number is 301-340-0224 (Maryland), and ask for Gil Lynch. Tell him that a former Yamaha employee referred you to him.

Let me know if he can assist you.....
  • Options
    discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    I think it is a BIG mistake to wait for the oil monitor before changing the oil. At least for me, this indicator has only lit up 3 times, in 35K miles. The first time, it did not light until about 7K miles, and I had already changed it twice...

For those who change their oil every 3K miles or so, why spend that extra money on synthetic oil, when conventional oil is certainly good for 3K? I think it might make sense for those who just can't get around to changing it for 5K to 6K miles, but conventional is perfectly fine for 3K...

Lastly, I would ALWAYS change the filter when I change the oil...

JMHO......
  • Options
    You're quite the sense maker.
  • Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    I use synthetic oil because it's better. It protects better (and it lasts much longer). The problem is the contamination from combustion. I will be installing a bypass oil filter in the near future, which will allow me to use the same synthetic oil for basically as long as I want because it filters so well... Of course I will probably change it every 20K or so just to get some fresh additives in there.. BTW I use AMSOIL Series 2000 0W-30 100% Synthetic which is rated at 35,000 miles (with a filter change at 12,500 miles). Right now I'm changing oil every 14K and filter every 7K. Soon to be upped by the bypass filter.
  • Options
    ehennessehenness Member Posts: 92
    Here are a few random thoughts that may help:

A chart I have seen uses candlepower (cp) as bulb output, not wattage (which technically is a measure of the heat produced, not light output, but hey...). In that chart (see http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/info/lights/signal_bulbs/) the 168 is listed at 3 cp with a life of 1500 hours. There is only one type of 168 listed, and I kind of hesitate to think there are two 168s (why use a standard if you don't stick to it--otherwise, number it differently). Anyway, the 194 is 2 cp. There is a brighter European bulbs with the same form factor that works in the same socket--2825 or W5W. This is 4 cp, but lasts only 300 hours. Those are often available at places like AutoZone (under the 2825 number) or at dealers that sell European cars (under the W5W designation).

Maybe try getting a couple of 2825s and see. They won't last as long, but as an non-signal light, that may not matter as much.

• Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I should have said the filter is at its best just before the bypass begins to let oil pass by the filter. This is not immediately. A new filter lets larger particles through than a "dirty" one. I am not convinced that a filter cause oil to bypass after only 6000 miles. They are rated for 7500. Depending on conditions, they probably really go twice that. Changing them after 3000 only brings them back to a sub-optimum operating condition.

It's never OK to let a filter plug to the point of by-passing, but it's always OK to let it operate with some dirt in the media.
  • Options
    I think you have hit the nail on the head! It appears to be that the "Mystery" stock bulb for the rear "Side rail" courtesy lamps in reality is the 2825 (W5W) and the 4 candle power rating seems to match the brightness provided by the stock bulbs. All bulb auto replacement guides (Sylvania, GE, GM, etc) recommend the 168 3 candle power bulb which is, again, just adequate for the job. GM is putting a more expensive bulb in there at the assembly line, but does not make a reference to it on any known technical guide.

In all honesty I have not seen the 2825 bulb in my near by auto parts stores but tomorrow plan on visiting a few bigger stores located in the suburbs that might be better stocked and carry the 2825 replacement bulbs.

Also, i would like to replace the stock 194 bulb for the trunk with a brighter 168 or even 2825 bulb.

Again, thanks for your insight...you have solved the puzzle!

Hvan3: I appreciate your lead. I'll keep it handy for future refence.

Speaking of filters, I have a question regarding the fuel filter.....how often does it need to be replaced? The Owner's manual recommends replacing both, the engine air filter and the A/C Pollen cabin air filter on 15K mile service intervals but does not mention anything about replacing the fuel filter at all. My dealer recommends changing the filter every 15K miles but I was wondering whether this is overkill or indeed it is a good idea to have it taken care of along with the other 2 filters.

Thanks everyone for your responses.
  • Options
    I think I changed my fuel filter @ 30k miles, and noticed what I perceived to be a difference in throttle response. IMHO, 15k miles seems a little excessive, considering fuels are better now, and stations have had to replace their tanks with those that won't leak (rust) due to environmental concerns. Plus our gas tanks are plastic, so there's another source of rust/contaminants gone. I'll probably change mine at 30k intervals, unless I have problems.

Changing the filter is pretty easy, if you can get the rear wheels up on ramps - if memory serves, the filter is underneath the car, near the driver's side passenger door. Expect a good bit of fuel to spill out in the process, though.

Back on my '84 Skyhask, there was a method of removing the fuel from the line, both to avoid accident and release pressure on the hose in general. Seems like it involved removing the fuse for the fuel pump, then trying to start the car for a few turns to burn up all the fuel in the line. Not advocating this for the Impala, but maybe someone who knows more about these systems than I do can come up with a way to change this filter a little more safely.
  • Options
    Check out Eiko Lighting's miniature bulb specification web page. It lists the specs for every type of bulb they make, which is almost every type of bulb there is.

It sounds like the #3652 would be the way to go for your requirements.

I've also heard that marine supply stores generally have a much better selection of bulbs than auto parts stores.

The large auto parts chains also usually have a big selection of Euro-spec bulbs in addition to the US-spec. I've been able to find all the bulbs for my Jaguar at my local Kragen. Do they have Checker/Schuck's/Kragen/Advance Auto Parts in Florida, or where ever you live?
  • Options
    rhett2rhett2 Member Posts: 7
    I noticed today that my front struts have no boots on them. It looks like they used to. It looks like they were torn off, my back struts have boots on them so I was wondering if one of you could go look at your car and tell me. That would be very helpful. I am getting close to the end of my warranty and if they are suppose to have boots on them I want to get them fixed. Tanks for your help.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Option for option it looks like the '03 Impala LS
    is almost $2000 more than my '01 LS.
    I saw one in the lot a few days ago and the driver side airbag is now a $350 option.
  • Options
    bsappbsapp Member Posts: 21
    This may be a silly question, but when you refer to the driver's side airbag as an option, are you talking about the air bag in the steering wheel or the air bag meant to protect in a side impact collision. I know for 2002 the side impact bag was standard in the LS but optional in base.
  • Options
    The driver's side airbag is now an option. Also, OnStar is no longer standard equipment in the '03 LS either.

The rest of the car looks essentially the same as the '00,'01 &'02 model years. I guess more significant changes will come about in the 2004 model year and expect an all-new Impala by 2006.
  • Options
    I have been using the new ultraguard filter from AC. it is heads above the rest. see for yourself. they cost about $7.00 but it is worth it.

http://www.acdelco.com/html/pi_filt_oil_gold_main.htm
  • Options
    "This may be a silly question, but when you refer to the driver's side airbag as an option, are you talking about the air bag in the steering wheel or the air bag meant to protect in a side impact collision. I know for 2002 the side impact bag was standard in the LS but optional in base."

The airbag mounted on the side of the driver's seat. Since 1994, all new cars sold in the US are required to come equipped with dual front airbags (Driver and front passenger side)as a minimal requirement for supplemental restraint systems (SRS). Currently, there is no legislation that forces manufacturers to offer new cars with side and roof mounted airbags, but this could change in the future. Neither one exists for ABS brakes.
  • Options
    Thanks so much for your bulb replacement suggestions and the link to the bulb site!.
  • Options
    vblstudvblstud Member Posts: 28
    Well i changed my oil and i try to reset the oil monitor. I do what it says and it says done then i exit. The step that says push the accelerator 3 times in 5 seconds and then wait for the oil light to flash. Well it says if it doesnt flash redo the whole process. It didnt flash so i do it again and again...It never flashed so does anyone know how to get it to flash??

Thx

Rob
  • Options
    I wonder how the lack of the side air bag will affect the crash rating of the Impala. And since it is an option, wonder if Chevy will get with the program and provide one for the passenger side.
  • Options
    According to the NHTSA test scores from the 2000 and 2001 model years, the Impala is currently rated at 4 stars for side impacts. It appears to be that the 4 star rating is the same whether the car has the driver's side airbag or not, as all NHTSA side tests are always conducted from the driver's side. IIHS does not produce side tests.

It is interesting to point out that the new 2002 Toyota Camry sedan was given a pretty lousy side impact rating of only 2 stars (As bad as a Cavalier)even in the presence of side airbags. The car has posted a 5 star and "Best Pick rating" for front impacts but the side protection is thin can foil like and of course Toyota has been silent about it since (Perhaps the 2003's will have reinforced door and structural members).

The current Honda Accord posts 4 stars side rating for front passengers and 5 stars side rating for rear seat passengers.

I think GM is making a mistake (Bob Lutz) by cutting back in standard safety features when other manufacturers are doing exactly the opposite. I am OK if they decide to make OnStar, or the CD player in the stereo optional, but ABS, Traction control and side airbags are a must on a car this size and weight.

I have never seen a W-body car with the passenger side airbag. Either is a cost issue, an engineering problem or both. Chevy has been promising the passenger side airbag since 1999 in the Impala and nothing yet. I suspect we will not see 6 airbags offered as standard or optional until the next generation Impala arrives in 2006.
  • Options
    I was at Barnes and Noble and caught a quick glimpse of the Consumer Report Used Car magazine. The front cover has a Carmine Red Impala LS. My natural instinct was "oh great, CR is recommending the Impala". After flipping through the magazine, the Impala is NOT on CR's "Sure Bet" recommendation for used vehicles. Majority of the selections were Hondas and Toyotas.

Anyhow, the Impala was ranked #4 in safety, followed by VW Jetta, Chrylser Sebring, and Dodge Stratus (I think).

Impala 2002 scored an "excellent" rating (full red dots) on ALL categories. I was puzzled why Impala didn't make it on CR's 'Sure Bet" for used cars recommendation, especially when there is a photo of the Impala LS on the front cover!!
  • Options
    Because is not politically correct or acceptable for CR (A left wing "Nanny" magazine) to recommend a car from an "American" manufacturer.
  • Options
    Yeah. That must be it. Those left-wing, commie, hippy, socialist, drug addict, gay atheists. They NEVER recommend anything by ANY American company, EVER.

Except in most categories. But, otherwise, NEVER. And, they did give the Impala all "excellents". But, that doesn't count.

I'm gonna right a letter to Fidel, and cancel my subscription.
  • Options
    dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    My sandrift 2000 Impala was rear-ended on way home from trip to albany couple weeks ago and i was able to drive away. The owner of the mid 90's Volvo had to wait for a tow truck. I do have to get the rear bumper re-painted though. I felt a lot more confident after driving away from that one.

-ps - yes, i did stop to see if i had damage and if the other driver was ok. He was fine, but his Volvo had to visit the emergency room.