Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    Let's not forget the reservior neck/cap problem, wherein an uneven surface causes coolant to escape.
  • Options
    drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    "Let's not forget the reservior neck/cap problem, wherein an uneven surface causes coolant to escape."

Is there a TSB# for it? Also what model years does the TSB apply for?

Yesterday I had my "Low Coolant" message come up very briefly twice (Message would come up for 30 seconds at a time) last night when I was driving in the highway. However, my engine TEMP needle registered normal engine temperature by staying at or below the middle mark. I never had any engine related overheat. the light did not come up anymore for the rest of my trip back home and neither the car experienced any problems, as a matter of fact it was running perfectly all along.

I am going to go ahead and check my coolant level in the reservoir and also check the oil to see if there is anything unusual about it. It has been very hot here so I tend to believe I either have a low coolant sensor acting up or a problem with the neck filler allowing the coolant to escape at a faster rate.

I did not smell any coolant either, so I sincerely hope I don't have a warped upper manifold intake leak or any other leaks elsewhere in the system, but you never know...

I have a 2001 3.8L Impala so I would appreciate if anyone can forward a copy of the TSB for the neck filler repair. I am planning of taking the car to the dealer first thing tomorrow morning, just to be on the safe side.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    2003 Impala site is now up. All the specs and prices are there.
    New colors are Cappuccino Frost, Berry Red, and Superior Blue.
    Can't quite tell what the Cappuccino is like. It almost looks like a off white. It bears no resemblence to the Cadillac or Oldsmobile Cappuccino.
  • Options
    I did a comparison between a 2001 Impala LS and a 2003 Impala LS. My 2001 had a MSRP of $25,505.
    I tried to configure a 2003 the same way and came up with $27,970!!!

10% difference in 2 years. Who said inflation was dead?
  • Options
    emtbemtb Member Posts: 42
    No more green Impalas? Wow.
  • Options
    No sale green is what they call it on the used car lots.
  • Options
    sweigardsweigard Member Posts: 9
    First time I really noticed a green Impala today, and it must be that dark colour, but it looked like a different car. At first it appeared to be a larger import from the side, but then I could see that the dark hue masks a lot of the demarcation lines.
    Interesting, the difference a colour can make.
  • Options
    It bears no resemblence to the Cadillac or Oldsmobile Cappuccino.

Perhaps they should have called it "Latte"
  • Options
    lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    Tire replacers: I put 235x60x15 Avids (Tire Rack, under $50 a copy) on my Regal and I like them, no problems. Granted, they replace Firestone sh 680 215.75.15 which is definitely a geezer tire, but the Avids are good anyway. One thing about the exotic speed ratings...they often also have exotic tread wear, like a 130 or 160 rating. I always replace my tires well before they get anywhere near marginal but I'd prefer it not be an annual event. I have always been well treated by Tire Rack and in fact sent one of these Yokos back because the mounting folk put it on their high falutin' supercomputerized 4 dimensional balancer and still couldn't get the vibe out. Anyway, in the bangs for the buck category I saw nothing that came remotely close. --LAMRON
  • Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I have also had to add a little coolant over the past 20 months. A little more than a quart total. No apparent leaks, at fittings or around the reservoir cap. For now I just add a little. The reservoir really isn't very big (it seems to hold less than 1/2 gallon) even though it looks humongous.
  • Options
    Several years ago i bought some Goodyears from a company called TireAmerica. I found out later that these were European spec tires with a treadwear rating of 180. The tires I bought from the tirerack had a rating of 220.
    The tirerack tires went about 8,000 more miles.
    Needless to say if I buy tires mail order they are from tirerack or take-offs from SLP.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Can anyone tell me why the Yohomama Avids, which are apparently far better tires in every way to the Goodyear GAs that came on my Impala, sell for @ $10 less than the Goodyears? Is Goodyear's reputation that good (or Yoko's that bad/unknown) to justify the difference? Or is there some other reason someone would pay more money for what appears to be less tire?
  • Options
    Things have really been slow around here lately.
  • Options
    moondawgmoondawg Member Posts: 24
    I'm in the amrket for a four door.I've passing around the idea for quite a while.I came across a 2000 Ponty GP GTP for sale for $15000 and an Imp LS for the same,appox.Any opines,either way?I'm going slightly crazy here....
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    You probably can't go wrong either way; just depends upon which bodystyle you prefer. Only potential with the Impala is it's a 2000 model, which is the first year of production. Not a big deal, since I've owned one since new, and now have 41k miles on it with only a turned rotor thus far. The Impala probably has better crash test ratings than the GTP.

I drove a GP as a rental once, and found the trunk area to be awkward to load/unload luggage. The Impala trunk is huge, and easy to work with in comparison.

Don't know how many miles either car has on it, but since the '03 models are out now, and there's a pretty serious glut of used cars out there, I'd think you might be able to get either car below $15k.
  • Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    The Impala is probably a better car for space/practicality, but the GTP will give you 40 more horsepower. Factor those in on your decision
  • Options
    All pre 2001 wbody Gm midsizers do not have the addtional wheel well liners so road noise from the rear of the car is fairly prominent.
    My 2001 Impala is noticeably less fatiguing on the highway than my 1999 Olds Intrigue.
    The Grand Prix has it's rear suspension bolted directly to the car without a rubber insulater so it is louder and rides harder than the others.
    Some of the 2000 model Impalas had engine cradle problems and Intermediate steering shaft problems.
    Make several hard right turns and listen for popping sounds.
    Other wbody cars were afflicted with this problem also. Most notably the intrigue.
    I have ben very happy with my Impala and would recommend it to anybody. So far the only problems it has had are a warped rotor and a warped manifold base.
  • Options
    The GTP is much sportier looking, inside and out. The supercharged engine gets you going in a hurry.
    For the same price, I'd choose the GTP. When I got my LS, a new GTP cost much more money, or I would have seiously considered it.
    Of course, if people and cargo space is a major concern, nothing beats the Impala. And, the LS is pretty nicely equipped.
  • Options
    I generally like the Grand Prix GT/GTP models. I also think that the current Grand Prix looks better in the sedan than the coupe body styles. My only caveat with the Grand prix is the extreme cheap/low budget grade interior plastics. Every single button, surface, etc that you touch feels flimsy to no end.

Sure the Impala's plastics might not be Audi grade but they do look and feel much better IMO by comparison.

Sit in both cars and look around. One place where I saw a noticeable difference in terms of plastics was the center console lid/armrest. In the Grand Prix it bents out when you rest your elbow against it, not so in the Impala.

I am not impressed with the assembly quality of the Fairfax, KS built GM midsizers (Where the GP and Intrigue are made)either. I think the Canadian Wbody cars (Regal, Century, Impala, Montecarlo) are better bolted together than the US made cousins and tend to have less problems as well.

The GP is a car with nice looking body lines (Free from cladding as well) but marred by a cheap $1 store interior.

Like others pointed out, the Impala has better safety scores than the GP (The Impala already meets 2003 model year safety standards while the GP meets current 1997 safety standards).

However, if going with the Imp, you might want to consider an used 2001 model instead.

The Impala is also a Full Size sedan while the GP is a Midsize sedan.

Also consider the Pontiac Boneville (marginally bigger than the Imp or GP)that comes standards with the 205HP version of the 3.8L Series II V6 engine and rides on the more 'refined' G body platform.

2000+ model year Bonnevilles can be had for cheap in the used car market due to their hefty initial depreciation but still you could be driving in a generally high quality full size sedan with good safety stats.

Stay away from Wbody models with the 3.4L and 3.1L V6 engines due to service history related to warped upper manifold engine intakes (Coolant leaks).

The current crop of 3800 V6 engines (2000 model year and up) have much less incidence of this problem, but it could still happen.
  • Options
    Read today's Autoextremist.com. There are rumors that GM will be displaying a full size, 4 door sedan, with RWD and V8 power at the upcoming NAIAS Detroit auto show in January 2003. It is believed that this car will gauge initial public reactions to what could be the next generation Impala due to debut in 2006.

I also disagree with Peter DeLorenzo's comments about the current FWD been a "Monumentally Boring car", meanwhile, he admits that the dealer network can't keep up with the current model's sales demand. To me "Monumentally Boring" cars are Toyota Camries or Honda Accord's with tiny 4 bangers, harsh automatics, thin body sheetmetal/paint and plastic wheels (Which everyone and their mother have). I still enjoy dusting all those asian cars when I push on the gas pedal...it puts a smile in my face!

But, I also agree that the current Imp can be improved by offering a V8 and RWD and even possibly a wagon version. Most "mainstream" buyers today, however, could care less about V8 engines and RWD. These buyers are happy with FWD and V6 engines. Otherwise Honda and Toyota would have been offering V8/RWD cars to the mainstream public years ago.
  • Options
    Is correct. The Fairfax, Kansas builtt cars don't seem to have the same build quality as those made in Canada.
    My Intrigue was not even in the same league as my Impala.
    Also the Impala's chassis has one continuous piece of steel for the side of the body. The Intrigue's is 2 pieces welded together at the rear door sill.
    My impala has less squeaks and rattles.
    The regal,century and intrigue have a shorter wheelbase than the grand prix and impala.
    The impala does have more rear seat legroom than the intrigue.
  • Options
    It's funny. I feel the opposite regarding the interior materials between these two cars. While the GP isn't an Aston Martin inside, I personally find the materials to be better than that of the Impala's. I thought my Grand Am had better interior materials, as well. I can't even compare the Impala's to that of our Acura's. It's really the only major weak point of this car, especially for a sticker price that currently approaches $28,000!

Even other domestic brands have better interior materials. You, yourself, have even pointed out how much better the Taurus interior is.
  • Options
    Have you noticed that the Impala has a nice quality carpet in it?
    Have you ever seen the carpet in the $50,000 GMC Denali?
    It makes astroturf look good.
  • Options
    gasolinegasoline Member Posts: 25
    I did a search and found out that the 3.8L engine weighs 380 pounds. I find it odd that it's so light being a cast iron engine and that the Ford Taurus DOHC 3.0L engine (all aluminum) weighs nearly 450 pounds. Any ideas as to why? By the way the 3.4L engine is only 30 pounds lighter having aluminum heads and having a smaller displacement.
    What gives?
  • Options
    I think the 3800 has aluminum heads also.
  • Options
    I guess the carpet is pretty OK. I was so annoyed by the paper thin floor mats at first, that I never noticed the carpet. Until now, that is!

The "padded" parts of the interior, like the upper door trim, console lid, and main upper dash are all pretty good too.
  • Options
    I highly recommend Billings Chevrolet in Milpitas, CA. (Just a red hair north of San Jose)

They're like night and day, compared to Courtesy Chevrolet in San Jose.
  • Options
    cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    Well guys it's been fun.....I received my payoff check from my insurance after my 2000 impala with 59,000 miles after exactly 30 days from being stolen. Since some of you wanted to know how much I got you can e-mail me @ cabellojo@c-b.com. Lter if they ever find it I will post how they stole it, if I can tell....By the way, I bought a brand spankin new F-150 Lariet 4-door pickup. Very nice, so far........
  • Options
    what did i just type?
  • Options
    I will update my webpage with new pics soon maybe by monday....http://www.angelfire.com/tx/bigodaman/
  • Options
    Did you at least get more than you still owed on it?
  • Options
    discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    Maybe late, but...

I also had to add coolant to my 2000 LS 3.8 recently. When the light came on again, I decided to take it in. They replaced a "Freeze Plug". 3 days later, light came on again. Took it back. Replaced Freeze Plug was bad, had to be replaced again. Next day, leakage found on garage floor. Took it back AGAIN! Replaced SAME freeze plug again, this time with a BRASS one. Service Manager involved, etc., since it was the third time. That was about 5 weeks ago, and no problems since. Anyway, could be a "Freeze Plug". Also, just replaced the original Eagle GA's, at 35,000 miles, with Pirelli P5000's. On closeout sale for $75 ea...
    So ar, so good. They are quiet and handle very nice...
  • Options
    WTH is a freeze plug?
  • Options
    All engine blocks have holes a little bit bigger than a half dollar machined into them. Eventually the coolant will damage them and they have to replaced.

I have never had to replace one on any of the 8 cars I have owned. But it is fairly common procedure.
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Almost all Chevy products from the 1950's to the present date never had great interior fabric materials. When Impala back in the late 50's, 60s and 70s competed with at the time Pontiac Bonneville and Ford Galaxie the Impala always had the cheaper looking seats and instrument panels. Same through the 80's and 90's competing with the Crown Vic. Its has always been a negative for Chevy. I believe they design the interior for Fleet/Rental market. Even the last group of Impala SS cars 1994-1996. It was 2 years before they had a floor mounted shifter and analog set of gauges.

I know Impala is the entry level car for GM but a couple hundred dollars more on better Fabric materials more interior colors available and sportier looking dashboard would go a long way.
    These are always the first things you notice when you get behind the wheel. I hope someone at Chevrolet is listening.. Just my opinion......
  • Options
    I wonder if that's similar to the half moon seals, directly behind the cams on my Jaguar? I replaced them recently while replacing the cam cover gasket. But, it would leak oil if those went bad. There's also a coolant drain plug on the lower block, though. It enables better draining of the coolant during flush 'n fill, than just draining the rad.
  • Options
    I agree 100%.
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    The 3800 has steel heads. It was one of the reasons why I wanted the LS.
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    The freeze plug is a removable metal plug located in the water jacket that can pop out if the water in the engine block expands excessively due to overpressure or the coolant freezing. It's there to prevent cracking the block. Also known as an expansion plug or core plug. Sometimes block heaters are installed by removing one of the plugs and inserting the heater. Usually they are stamped steel but when I rebuild engines, I replace them all with brass plugs. It's only a little bit more, but lasts a lot longer. Realistically though, even the steel ones typically don't go bad.
  • Options
    3.8 has cast iron block, cast iron heads. Driveon...
  • Options
    norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    I am the owner of a 1050 Cadillac, had it for 30 years. Still has the original freeze plugs. I change anti freeze every 2 years. Keep the coolant clean and changed. Thne fresh coolant has anti rust properties. My 2000LS just turned 35000 miles and is still without problems. Just clocked 33.4mpg on a 467 mile trip, all highway miles. 28.5 mpg average since new. I know of nothing on the road with comparable size, comfort, and performance that gives similar mpg. Enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    sorry to hear that your Impala was stolen.

We love our 2001 Ford F-150 Super Crew truck that we traded our troublesome 2000 Impala in on.
  • Options
    Wow. A 1000 year old Cadillac. They don't make them like they used to.
  • Options
    johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Don't exagerate! It's only 952 years old, going on 953. Many of us will be dead by the time it is 1000 years old!

IMPALA!
  • Options
    Was it Chief Cadillac's forebears that put the car together? No wonder that guy made Chief!! Is it a deVille, Seville, Dugout, or Cawabunga model? And what did they use for antifreeze the first 875 or so years, since it was built waaay before white eyes brought firewater over big water...? -->Driveon-->
  • Options
    norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    It is a 1950 Cadillac. Yes garypen, they don't make them like they used to. And I'm glad. Compared to the 2000 LS, the 1950 takes constant maintainance. Enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    Some of you may remember me ... some may not its been a while since I have been on , I am now working for the same Chevy dealership that we bought our Impala from , and I have come bearing "inside " information , the Impala will have a SS package in 2004 with the supercharged 3800 v6 ..... its about time ....

We are just now getting the 2003's in and no big changes besides wheels and 3 new colors .

thanks--------------mattmcdill
  • Options
    Good to see you back. Are you working in the service side or the sales side?
  • Options
    mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    I am in the service side , I do the car detailing .
  • Options
    00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Recently we took our 2001 Base impala on a trip from Cincinnati to Nashville, Gotta say it performed well, going on another trip to PA over Labor Day weekend, one problem to note is that the steering wheel is now vibrating while braking at 55-60 mph... Exactly the same thing that happend to my 2000 LS and just about the same mileage, just over 9,000 miles in one year, I geuss the Dealer will cut the rotors on this one too, that is the best they would do for my 2k LS... However, the ISS Lube seems to be holding up, I still get the physical rocking motion of the steering wheel when I get in and touch the steering wheel, that one will never be figured out,believe me I and my Service Manager tried.... at least is doesnt clunk when turning left or right anymore as it did with only 2800 miles....prior to the Lube Kit.... Don