Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    You didn't get post #10,000 but you got post #10101. That's interesting combination.
    All 1's and 0's.
    Maybe we should change your name to "digitalman".
    Who will be #11111?
    I have a little too much free time on my hands in case you guys were wondering.LOL.
  • Options
    impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    well when my early 2001 impala ls hit 30K miles, i started getting a pop/clunk noise during initial medium acceleration, forward and reverse, and over large potholes/bumps. The pop/clunk is only heard during the first hour of driving. As soon as that engine gets warmer the clunking starts fading away. I took it to the dealership twice already for this problem and they had to consult GM on the problem. Seems like GM is just telling them to tighten all chassis bolts and nuts and use lock-tight. Well amazingly while I was driving around with the Service Dept. Foreman, the clunks were gone. Anyway, I was happy, no more clunks or pops....GREAT....Got home, and a few hours later I got in my car to head out for dinner...guess what??? clunks and pops again. I was pissed off. The service foreman said that the problem is out of their hands if the popping noise comes back - they said that they can only do, what GM is tells em to do. He mentioned something that GM/Chevy might have to send someone down here and check out the car themselfs...now since I got aftermarket wheels and a Razzi Kit, he also mentioned that they will probably have to put stock tires back on....I think this guy is just throwing me on some tangent.

Anyway, this brings me to the Lemon Law issue...3 times in for the same problem, then its a lemon right?? I read in the past on this board that some people had GM buy their car back (invoice price - 2 cents a mile I think). Does anyone know how that whole lemon and buyback process work? My car has 33K miles on it right now, and warranty is almost over. I really hope I can get this resolved before then, if anyone out there can help me on this matter I would greatly appreciate it. I just dont want to get stuck with a car that pops and clunks.

BTW I have also had my ISS replaced at 24,000 miles. Thanking you all for your help in advance.

Chris

http://members.cox.net/2001impala
  • Options
    hggrayhggray Member Posts: 24
    Good to see you back, Matt... I was wondering where you had gotten off to. Congratulations on the new job; it'll be nice to hear from someone on the "inside".
  • Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    It might still be your ISS. The new ISS is the same as the old one...on my car it took about 5000 miles to develop the pop/clunk/tap. My symptoms did not match exactly with the description on the TSB but it seems to be working. Maybe they'll give you the lube kit as a try to fix it.
  • Options
    I remember you from before. Good to have you back.
  • Options
    norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Welcome back. Enjoyed your posts in the past. Your new job should get you on the inside track on new materials and equipment in the care & feeding of new & used cars. Hope you can share the information to help all to keep their Impalas new. Enjoy the ride.
  • Options
    copychixcopychix Member Posts: 7
    I know, I know, the manual says we can use regular gas in our Impalas, and it was a selling point for me. But, some of my co-workers (all of whom have new cars too) were appalled that I would put regular into my new '02 LS.

Right before taking the car on a long vacation drive to the Jersey shore I filled up on premium for the first time. Could it be my imagination? I am convinced my car is driving better.

Any thoughts?
  • Options
    mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    Thanks guys ! I will keep you posted . thanks ------------mattmcdill
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    mcdill - good to see you back on the board. I'm still driving my 2000 3.8 liter base model; turned over 41k miles last week.

Tires - Had the Eagle GAs replaced with Bridgestone Potenza RE910s on Thursday (found a good deal at local Firestone shop, was toying with ordering a set of Toyo Avid T4s from tirerack before I found these). The Potenzas are MUCH quieter than the GAs, and also hold the road much better. In addition, they're excellent on wet roads. Went out yesterday morning and it had just come a big rain; when I pulled out on the highway, the GAs would generally spin if it were wet, and traction control would kick in. I deliberately punched it when I pulled out (there was no traffic on Sunday morning), and I didn't get any wheel spin at all.
  • Options
    jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Good to see you posting in here again. Congratulations on your new job detailing Impalas and other cars. Are you still going to school? I remember a while back when I think you mentioned something about a teacher giving you a hard time some engine related information that the teacher was wrong about. I have a few questions for you. What do you treat the rubber weatherstripping on the outside of the Impala windows with to keep them from dry rotting? Also, what is a good cleaner for removing black smudges from the plastic kick panels? Thanks for your help!
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Lemon laws vary from state to state. In Hawaii, 30 days in the shop OR 3 times in the shop for the same problem and the problem still exists OR once in the shop for a problem that likely would cause death or serious injury and the problem still exists. Also it has to be within the term of the manufacturer’s express warranty, the period ending two years after the date of the motor vehicle’s original deliver to a consumer, or the first 24,000 miles of operation, whichever occurs first.

Here are a couple of websites that might help you out:

http://www.123car.com/lemon/lemonbystate.html

http://www.nationallemonlawcenter.com

• Options
    I would stick with the regular. The car was designed for it and the manufacturer recommends it. Some gas manufacturers claim they include additives to clean the injectors and stuff. Maybe that's what you feel. What ever you are willing to pay for is OK. I don't think you will hurt your car by using premium.
  • Options
    No , I am out of high school I graduated this passt year but I hope to go to the University of South Alabama next year , and yes I do get to clean up alot of neat cars , today I cleaned up the owners new demo , a 03' Impala LS in berry red met. with the sunroof and new 5 star rims , that car is so fine , and of the new Impalas we have so far none of them are on the lot yet , they are still sitting in the back , waiting for dealer prep , and window stickers . On the kick panels ,I would use a somewhat strong degreaser , and posibly a scrub brush , depending on how dirty , what would probably get it off the best , (this is what I use on our light oak colored kick panels ) is Westleys bleach White tire cleaner , it gets it right up, just be carefull when using it , its strong . For the window moldings , I use Stoner trim shine , it comes in an aresol spray can , and it is supposed to protect from U.V rays and enviromental damage . I don't spray it directly on the moldings , its too messy , I just take an old tooth brush and spray it on that and go from there rubbing it where you need it , and it gives a good shine and seems to keep rubber soft , I also use it on the gray trim on the bottom , I really don't know if its avalible all over the country , but I got it Pep Boys , let me know if you find it , if you don't I might suggest something else .

and F.Y.I our 00 Impala now has a little over 46,000 miles , and its needed nothing besides , tires , brakes , (((( and a battery , which was covered under warranty )))) .

By the nossirahg , I have not really seen any 01 or 02 base modles with the 3800 v6 , like our 00's have , it seems like 95 % have the 3400 v6.

I cant wait till we get a police Impala in there , we had a 00 in there last week with a service engine light on , it had 88,000 miles on it and it had been driven hard .

thanks-------------mattmcdill
  • Options
    How would you describe the berry red? Is it a plum color or does it have some purple in it?
    This is a completely new color for '03 right?
  • Options
    copychickcopychick Member Posts: 62
    McDill, or anyone else with experience cleaning the interior...

I had a nasty surprise this morning--apparently SOMEONE (in other words, my husband;) borrowed my car and got bubble gum on the interior carpet, where one would place one's left foot when the leg is fully extended. ARGH!

It really is an awful mess-there's quite a lot of it still on the carpet (not even on the floor mat--yeesh!)

I've been able to pick some of it out, but it's going to need more than that. Any thoughts on what I can use? I was thinking nail polish remover, but am worried it will cause damage to the carpet or worse--it's pretty harsh stuff.

I don't think my husband realizes he got gum in there (couldn't have been me, as there's no gum on my shoes). I'm hoping he will be chivalrous and offer to clean it, but we'll still need to know what to use.

Thanks!
  • Options
    Don't know how applicable it would be to carpet, but I've always heard you can remove gum from hair with peanut butter. Of course, you then have to figure out a way to get the peanut butter out of the carpet, but that's another story.

Odds are you've got a jar of peanut butter around that you use to remove wax buildup from your black side-mouldings. ;-.)
  • Options
    roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    whenever I fell asleep while chewing gum (when I was a kid of course), mom used ICE to freeze the gum and pick it out.

May work.
  • Options
    I read somewhere that rubbing alcohol and a soft cloth will get wax off the mouldings.
  • Options
    This site has a lot of tips on removing stains:

http://www.gocohens.com/oops/carpet.html

The ice trick is in there.

I have had a lot of success with a product called Oops!, available at a number of hardware stores. I got my can at Walmart.

http://www.cornerhardware.com/hardware/Housewares/Cleansers_Sealers_Polishes/Stain_Removers-1074.html

Test it on an inconspicuous place first! I've never tried to remove gum with it, but I have used to to remove stains and it does a great job. However it did remove the dye out of one thing I was going to clean. After that experience I always find a test patch and wait a day to see if anything changes.

• Options
    jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Thanks for the information. Could you suggest something in the place of the Stoner Trim shine because I don't have a Pep Boys in my area and I doubt Auto Zone would have it. Also, on the Westley's White bleach, do you dilute yours before you apply it or are you careful not to get it on surrounding surfaces. The University of South Alabama is a great college from what I heard. I know they always give Miss. State a good matchup in baseball from year to year. I look forward to asking you more detailing questions about the Impala. Thanks again. It is good to know someone in this world is willing to help another person. Keep it up.
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Has anyone had experiences with a K & N air filter for the Impala. Before I take the leap and spend big $'s on one is it worth the money? Does it really aid in better fuel economy and add noticeable performance to the car? Any help would be appreciated.......
  • Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    You won't see any performance gains at all from a drop in K&N filter. Not sure about gas miliage increases, though. For performance increases, you have to go with a CAI kit or gut your airbox with the K&N.
  • Options
    I got what must be a slight "placebo" increase in performance. I was expecting one, so it seems to me I got one, however modest.

But, remember, you don't need to buy another air filter...ever! The K&N is permanent. It also filters better AND has better air flow than paper filters.

If you choose to continue using paper filters, don't buy Fram. Everything they make is crap, major crap, especially their oil filters. (Quaker State and Pennzoil filters are also Fram.) Remember...Fram=Crap.
  • Options
    I was looking at my front driver's side tire the other day and it looked low. I was prepared to take it to the petro station to add air. Got the gauge out and it read 44PSI. This was a HOT reading, mind you, but I just wanted to see how the pressure was at the time.

On average, I seem to get an increase of 10PSI when the tires are warm, so I can gauge the ammount of air to be added pretty consistently.

Anyway, I started thinking *scary*, and came to the realization that if I abided by the normal 30-32 PSI that some use, the tire would look FLAT. it already looks low now with about 34 PSI.

I still may add air as the ride started pulling a bit to the left, indicating a low tire...

For what it is worth, I checked the other 3 and they were the same as the first, so at least they keep steady pressure all the way around.

Are the Goodyears giving the illusion that the tire is low on air or what? My girlfriend bought an '02 Cavi a couple of weeks ago. Ya know, the chrome wheels, low-pro tires and all... As soon as I saw it, I said ya gotta get some air in them thar tires!

Maybe I am nuts... maybe I like HARD tires- thanks for listening.

BTW: 21K on the '01 and *whispers* "all is well"...
    RR
  • Options
    YIKES ..... Um .. well , I will go to our autozone tonight and look around at what they have if I see something I think will work in placeof the Stoner trim shine I will give it try and see how it does and let you know . as far as the bleache white , I buy the one that comes in a aersol can with the little brush head on the end ... well i take the brush head off (~: , and its a foamy cleaner , don't freak out if you get a little on the carpet , and yes I use it full strength .

As for the gum , I use Ice and a small pair of sizzors , as well as some carpet cleaner .

To me the Berry red doesnt really look purple , when I first saw it before I ever knew what the color was called , I though to my self ......Raspberry , it really looks good on the LS . thanks---------mattmcdill
  • Options
    sweigardsweigard Member Posts: 9
    Available from your GM dealer, is their "Silicone Emulsion" #10953014. Just bought a 50ml bottle today to keep the weatherstrip soft and free from sticking. About 5.00 Cdn.

Comes with a swab on a stick in the lid enabling you to paint the rubber surfaces.

I read the recommendation in the manual (of all places).
  • Options
    I installed a K&N filter earlier this winter, and except for a perceived increase in throttle response initially, I've not seen any marked increase in gas mileage. However, that was prior to hot weather, so I've been running AC constantly since then.

I just went back to my fuel records, and averaged my fuel consumption since installing the K&N, and over 31 tanksfull, I've averaged 23.48 mpg. The 31 tanks prior to that averaged 22.73 mpg, so one could argue the K&N has given me a 3% decrease in fuel consumption. HOWEVER, looking at the same time period 2001 vs. 2002, I averaged 24.59 mpg (but that included a roundtrip to Orlando and back; 4 tanksfull - including my record 32.91 mpg tank). The K&N might have made a difference, but I think the main reason to switch to one it the longevity - paper filters run @ $10 each, and I think I paid @ $40 for my K&N.
  • Options
    ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    I was wondering if anyone had used any of these 3 products on their Impala?

One Is "Forever Black" http://www.autosportcatalog.com/index.cfm?fa=p&pid=28

Another one is "Eagle One Black Trim Restorer"

http://www.properautocare.com/eagoneblactr.html

and the 3rs is "Mothers Back to Black"

http://www.autobarn.net/ch06108.html

Or is there something different/better than any of these 3?

Thanks

gw

• Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Thanks to all posters for the K&N filter input. I appreciate it!
  • Options
    copychickcopychick Member Posts: 62
    I will definitely try the ice and scissors method. Better yet, I'm going to try to get the hubby to do it (since he is most likely the gum culprit!)

roderacer I have noticed the same thing with my front tires. They both always look so low, but I've had 'em checked and they have the correct amount of air.
  • Options
    dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    I have 54K miles on my 2000 Base Impala and for the first time ever, the check engine light came on. No messages in the multifunction display, and no aparrent noises or leaking fluids. Any ideas on possible cause? I have an appointment with dealer on Tuesday, but i have to take a long drive this weekend and not sure now if car will make it. (long drive is about 350-400 miles)
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Make sure your gas cap is fully tightened (at least two clicks). The one time I had the Check Engine light come on, that was the culprit.
    Brad
  • Options
    are these optional on the '03 models?

one of the many selling points for me was the folding seats. The Impala hauls long stuff nicely.

My pseudo pickup.
  • Options
    thanks for the input on tires. The rear tires seem right, but the front ones... just don't.

Maybe it is the degree of rake of the vehicle that gives the illusion of low tires.

good luck with the ice and scissors. What flavor gum was it?
  • Options
    I thought my Camaro was a great pickup truck after I put a 8' step laddder into it and closed the hatch.
    But the Impala is the ultimate pickup. '12 piece of vinyl siding plus room to spare. Or a 32" wide screen door. Too bad a 36" won't fit.
  • Options
    I haven't used Mother Back to Black yet. But, I'm planning on trying it. I use their "Showtime" instant detailer, Carnuba wax, "Preserves" protectant, clay bar, and chrome polish. Every one is truly excellent, and reasonably priced.

I don't think you can go wrong with a Mother's product.
  • Options
    My Eagle GA's look low all the time. I'm always checking them because they look low. Once they were actually high (42 or so PSI) but I left them. The rated pressure is not an average...it's a MAXIMUM safe pressure. I shouldn't have run them in the 40's. Now the center is worn a little more than the edges, a sign of over-inflation. I reduced them to 32-34 PSI and they're doing fine. They look flat but they're doing fine. If your tires are above 35 I'd reduce the pressure.

Use regular gas. Premium is good if you need it for a performance engine or to reduce spark knock. But the 3.4s and 3.8s are designed for regular and work best on regular. Premium costs more and supposedly doesn't burn as cleanly as regular does. <==garypen I'm expecting some sort of reply on this. That's what I've heard.

Later
  • Options
    cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    They found my car 5 weeks after it was stolen. The sunroof was the main thing they took. I mean the entire sunroof including glass, motor, buttons,headliner, etc. the stereo box was a bonus. the door lock was fine as was the ignition key. somehow they had a key because I really don't think they towed it because I didnt see any tire marks on my driveway, it was parked forward with the wheels locked and turned. It probably sat under a tree in an apartment complex (they gave me the approximate location it was found)for about 3 weeks because there was bird droppings and tree limbs and about 3 inches of water in the car(no sunroof). oh well they can have it. at least my umbrella and chamois was still in there! If you want to see pics e-mail me at cabellojo@c-b.com. Nathan e-mail me so that maybe you can do a news bulletin type of segment including how to protect your car better...
  • Options
    cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    Oh yeah my spoiler was stolen also and all my "SS" emblems (pretty dumb eh?) the seats were left perfect untill the rain got them. the tire only had 2000 miles, rims are perfect the steering wheel etc. they tore the wire going to the $300.00 plus rear view mirror. retards...............this tells me someone has a car just like mine and just needed a sunroof window because theres broke everything else was just a bonus........I'll be looking out for "SS's" because i havent seen one yet with them...
  • Options
    42PSI ... is that cold? I would assume so and yes that would cause some wear in the middle of the tread since hot would bring them up to approximately 50-54PSI hot.

42-44PSI is average for my tires hot. No unusual wear anywhere on the tread. Remember - 34PSI cold.
  • Options
    glad to hear that you have some closure to your stolen Impala.

so they got the key somehow... anybody you know or dealt with at the dealership that may have envied the "SS"???

All "SS 'ers" out there - BEWARE of new Ford in rearview.
  • Options
    I hope your not talking about the Marauder.... Car and Driver tested it and it wasnt that fast ...
  • Options
    0 to 60 in 7.5 ---yawn
    quartermile 15.5 @ 91 mph

I have a May 2002 issue of motor trend that shows an Impala LS at 0 to 60 in 7.7 and quartermile at 15.8 @88 mph .
    I also have another motor trend test from 2000 thgat shows it at 7.6 0 to 60 and 15.6 @ 90 mph .
  • Options
    I wish that those stats were true in real life, but sadly they aren't.
    The Impala has a weight to power ratio of 17 and the Marauder's is only 14.
    In real life I believe the Impala to be a 8.0-8.5 second car and the Marauder to be 7 or a little less.
    The Ford motor improves greatly once it has some mileage on it.
    Didn't C&D say 8.5 secs for the Impala? With the Regal being inexplicably faster?
  • Options
    I think C&D did , they have also posted 8.1 in 2000 , but Motor trend has consistantly posted 7.5- 7.7 0 to 60 out of 4 seprate tests , and C@D got got 7.9 0 to 60 in a 2000 Monte carlo with the 3800 v6 .

When we first got our 00 base model Impala W/3800 , after about 5000 miles , I could only get 0 to 60 in about 8.8 -9 after 20,000 miles , I was getting 7.8 - 8.1 0 to 60 , I guess it just needed to get broke in good ..... It will fly .... Camaros with the 3800 v6 and auto , are good for mid 7 - 0 to 60 times , and low 15's at 90 mph , one reason is the trannys 1st gear has a 3.06 ratio , and the rear end has 3.42's , much better gearing than the Impala .

We sold one of the last camaros yesterday , I got to clean it up , It had the 3800 v6 performance package , which comes with dual exaust , and limited slip , as well the same steering gear that comes in the Z28 , ..........any way , it had an auto , and It honestly felt quicker than any Impala w/3800 I have driven ,.... also that exaust tone the the dual outlets is sooooo sweet . thanks------mattmcdill
  • Options
    42psi was cold. The thing is, I live 600 feet above sea level and happened to check them while in Colorado at ~6400 feet elevation. Thus the increase in cold pressure. They were about 35 psi at home, cold. I now run them at about 32. They look low but run great.
  • Options
    I believe both the Camaro and Firebird had better 0-60 times with an auto than with a stick, at least in one of the generations.

Motor Week did a piece on them recently, in memorium.
  • Options
    ehennessehenness Member Posts: 92
    You have to compare apples to apples; i.e., check figures from one magazine for the different cars. They all have different techniques on testing (some speed shift the manual trans cars, some manually shift the automatics, some try auto and manual shifts and report the best times, etc.), and different test locations. It's really hard to compare the figures for the same car from different magazines, let alone different cars in different magazines. The only real way to be sure of performance differences is to use the same magazine's figures. Or at least look at the same car's results across magazines to see how consistent they are.
  • Options
    actually, I was referring to cabello's new Ford TRUCK. I can see him on the [non-permissible content removed] of an "SS" Impala with a new sunroof!

..but now that you mention it, the new Marauder does intrigue me, despite the manufacturer.

cheers!