Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Options
    dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    CR seems to hate anything American. In the new issue, the Chev Avalanche was the best rated pick up and yet did not receive a "recommend". They figure based on the past, anything American must be unreliable I suppose. People say the publication is unbiased because there is no advertising. I suspect the reviewers themselves however are heavily biased towards anything made abroad.
  • Options
    The Impala is made abroad, for Americans that is. For you, it's a domestic. ;-)
  • Options
    You are correct. I never really think of the US as another country in terms of auto making as it's so integrated. Ok.. CR doesn't like anything with a domestic name on it. Better?

;-)
  • Options
    I think they're probably basing their opinions somewhat on historical reliability, which, let's face it, isn't that good with NA badged cars. I'm sure once the new batch of "domestics" improve in that area, they'll recommend them.

You and I know that US and Canadian workers can certainly BUILD excellent long lasting vehicles. My son's 94 Civic has well over 260,000 miles on it, and it was made in Canada. My bosslady's CL has been almost flawless. The only "problem" was a noisy moonroof, for which Honda created a TSB fix almost immediately. It's made in Ohio. The NUMMI plant, here in Fremont CA, puts out numerous GM and Toyota branded vehicles. It is well known forproducing high quality vehicles, regardless of what badge they stick on.

Lets not forget all the US branded pickup trucks. I would imagine that Chevy/Ford/Dodge must show up there somewhere. Does anyone know which trucks CR recommends? I'm curious, but I don't subscribe.
  • Options
    b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Just saw the new blue on a 2003 LS. That was a shocker. Talk about an Impala that stands out.
    It is almost as intense as the bright blue metallic on my IROC.
  • Options
    Did you realize that you were post # 10,000?
  • Options
    Do I win a toaster oven?
  • Options
    hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Dang!! I always wanted to be poster #10,000. I kept following up on it to make sure that I"m #10,000. Somehow, I completely forgot about it today!

garypen:
    You have a boss lady? hehe
  • Options
    You know: wife/fiancee/girlfriend/companian/partner/significant other.
    In other words: bosslady.

She'll be so happy and interested to hear about post #10,000. About as interested as I am when she tells me about the free gift with cosmetic purchase at Macy's.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Garypen, you have won a LIFETIME complementary subscription to the Town Hall!

COME ON DOWN!

(oops, I think that's the wrong show)

(but OTOH -- the price IS right, yes???)

:)
  • Options
    discgolferdiscgolfer Member Posts: 72
    I don't think "The Accelerator" is the right thing. Isn't it the Lights Switch???
  • Options
    mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Remember back about 8000 posts talking about Intermediate Steering Shafts all the time? I was still having front end tapping/popping/etc but never exactly what folks were describing in their posts here. I took my car to a different dealer last Friday afternoon and they applied the lube kit to the ISS. 'Said they had seen my symptoms several times and that the lube kit is considered a permanent fix for my problem.

So far so good. I'm happy with it. The symptoms weren't exactly the same as the bulletin described, and actually were similar to another bulletin's symptom description, but I think it's fixed. Teo said it was the ISS a year ago. I hate to admit he's been telling me the right thing all along but I'm glad to have my new Impala back.

It now acts like the car that convinced me I wanted to own one.

BTW garypen, I did get the Impala because I really liked it, not because there's a bazillion of them on the road...
  • Options
    Missed the 10K post also. Wasn't even looking.

Impala plant is the most efficient in North America according to JD Power. Quality is also high. GM can compete, they just have to get the next batch of models (like the 04 Malibu) out right the first time. Sales will follow I guarantee it.
  • Options
    I'd like to see that myself! I wonder what the next Camaro/Firebird will be like?
  • Options
    michitakemichitake Member Posts: 3
    I rented one and enjoyed it. Basic, but not disappointing. But I'd sure like to see a supercharged "SS"....
  • Options
    charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    On May 23rd 2035 the 100,000 post should click over. havan3 and dindak you don't want to miss this one. I will give a toaster oven to the winner.
  • Options
    I figured if anybody was going to be number 10,000 it would have been you.
    Remember the good old days on edmunds when after about 6-700 posts we would automatically switch over to Impala VII or whatever the next number was?
  • Options
    Will there be an Impala in 2035?

;-)
  • Options
    wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    Of course! One of us old geezers will proudly display it at the local "Antique" Car Show. There will dads teling their families about how they used to ride in one to ...............
    ;-)
  • Options
    I am sure that our 2000 era Impalas will have to be trailered to the car show because of their pure evilness. Which is, that they burn fossil fuels.
    I am sure all the cars will be fuel cells or borax powered or a hydrogen something.
  • Options
    went back and looked over the 2003 blue impala LS.
    It must have been ordered by someone because it has the leather 60/40 seat and the spoiler delete.
    It was still almost $27,000.
    The color is not as bad as I originally thought.
    It makes the car look more youthful. especially next to my more elegant looking navy blue car.
    I can tell you that my Impala LS still turns heads. especially among the younger set. Everyone sees it as a sporty car not just a family truckster.
  • Options
    Yeah, there'll be 2035 Impala for those who are interested. Under Lutz's plan, the engine, transmission, wheels, steering wheel, and doors will become OPTIONAL. It'll be a strip down version of the Flintstone automobile. :)
  • Options
    I figured that in 2035, the Impala will fold up into a suitcase, like George Jetson's car.

The anti-gravity unit will no doubt be otional, but only available on the LS.
  • Options
    Appears to be the same blue that is/was available on the SL Saturns the last few years.
  • Options
    Color really can make the car IMO. I have seen one color and hated the look of the car and seen it in another and loved the look of the car. It's amazing.

While I love blues, dark greens and black, they are hard to keep clean.
  • Options
    Not to mention swirls in the clearcoat.
  • Options
    This new Superior Blue would certainly be easier to keep clean than my Navy Blue.
  • Options
    Well...it is superior, after all. By law, they couldn't have named it that, if it wasn't true.
  • Options
    nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I've got about 41k miles on my original Eagle GAs, and I'm looking at replacements. Leaning toward Yokohama Avid T4s, based on research I've done at tirerack.com. Has anyone here had good/bad experience dealing with tirerack? I checked their price on a set of Goodyear Aquatreds, and I'd save aboue $200 going through tirerack vs. my local Goodyear shop (that's apples to apples, out-the-door price). Just wondered if there's some negative to dealing with tirerack vs. going local (can't imagine any benefit that would be worth forking over an additional $200, though).
  • Options
    I put Yoko AVS dB on my LS. I love them. They're definitely quiter than the Michelin MXV4's on one of my other cars. Yokohama is definitely a good brand.

Have you also tried Tires.com? They have pricing competitive to tirerack, and you can also check prices availability at your local America's Tire/Discount Tire chain store, if there is one in your area, in addition to having them shipped.
  • Options
    Do you really think the Impala warrants the AVS dB (which is a W speed rating/168 MPH tire), when the car tops out at 108 MPH? The Avid T4 is T rated (118 MPH), which I'd think would be more than sufficient. I realize the AVS dB is probably a better tire all the way around, just don't know if it's worth an extra $25 per tire?

I'm thinking for an all-season tire, I'll see a world of difference between the Avid T4 and the GA; but I'm not so sure I'd get that much more out of the AVD dB in my daily commute.
  • Options
    While the Impala doesn't need a higher speed rated tire there are other advantages in going with a H,V, or Z rated tire.
    The car will corner a little better and have a quicker turn in(quicker steering response).
    It is also less likely to have a blow out due to its ability to handle heat better.
    The downside is a slightly firmer ride and possibly more tire noise.
    Personally I wouldn't go any higher than a H rated tire. And maybe a V or Z if I were turning it into a road racer.
    My replacement tires will be Michelin Pilot XGT H rated. I am a Michelin man(no pun intended).
  • Options
    sweigardsweigard Member Posts: 9
    On Car & Driver TV show, the fellow put Toyo db's on his Altima, and he was impressed with the extremely quiet ride and superb traction control, the downside being a little firmer ride.
    The tech guy told of, among other things, the reinforced sidewall to protect against curbing.
    Sounds convincing, but I don't know how such a tire will perform in the great white north this winter until one of you makes the plunge and reports all.
  • Options
    bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I'm getting close to tire time also. I've only got 48,000km (30k miles) on the GAs on my 2001 LS, but I don't think the tread will be enough for winter.

My problem is do I buy new all-season tires, or do I bite the bullet and buy winter rims and winter tires? Winter here in Southern Ontario can vary from hardly any snow to mounds of snow and ice. I know I would also end up having to replace the "summer" rubber (possibly as early as next summer), but since I plan to keep this car for at least three more years, I figure I would be finished buying rubber anyway.

Has anyone else out there gone the separate snow tire route? What did you buy?

Thanks!
    Brad
  • Options
    Yokohama Avids should be fine. I chose the dB because they were so quiet, not so much for Z rating. But, it's nice to take curves and entrance ramps without the squeal of the Goodyears.

Yokohama really makes some nice tires. Reasonably priced, too.

Does the Impala really top at at 108? I've been close, but not quite there. The CHP officer was nice enough to put 90 on the ticket, so I wouldn't have crossed over into "excessive" speeding.
  • Options
    I pushed my Impala to the speed cut-off once (on a particular favorite stretch of service road adjacent to an interstate, with no nearby exits or intersecting roadsways/driveways). The car climbs steadily, and when it reaches @ 108, the pedal snaps and drops all the way to the floor, and the car quits accelerating. Once the speed drops a little (say under 105), you can punch it again and it will climb back up to the same point, and the same thing happens.

A bummer in some ways that the car won't go faster, but then again, it does curb my efforts of cars past to "push the envelope" and see just how fast a car will go. Having reached the upper limit that one time, I've never had a desire to do it again, which is probably a good thing.
  • Options
    Correct me if I am wrong someone but I read somewhere that the 3400 engine is governed to 108 mph and the 3800 to 124 mph. Ungoverned the 3800 top speed is 135 mph. Reason being governed is that there is an overheating problem with these engines beyond that point. They will run these governed speeds all day long with no problem.
  • Options
    impaladriverimpaladriver Member Posts: 9
    Can any one help out? The air vents on my 2K LS is blowing a terrible musty odor from the vents. The smell goes away if the AC is on in either outside air or re-circulate mode. The only way to make smell go away is to have the AC on. I have replace cabin filter and have sprayed mold killer (can't remember name of stuff) that I bought at ORiely's auto parts store, worked for three, may be four days. I think all it did was cover smell up. Checked condesate drain for evaporator pan seems to be open. Took car to dealer they sprayed in nice smelling stuff, lasted two days. Dealer also check drain found no problem. As humid as it has been where I live, I think I should be seeing more of a puddle under car when I shut it off in garage after 45 min. drive. Checked floor inside car for wetness, none. Help!

Thank you for any information you can give.
  • Options
    Try running the heater on full HOT through the AC vents for at least 15 minutes. That will kill the mildew that's making your car smell like a wet gym sock.
  • Options
    Oh no. First, it was oil change, now we're talking about tires.
  • Options
    spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    I believe the 124 governer is on the police Imps.
  • Options
    I concur with spider717; police versions top out somewhere around 120 or so, but civilian models (at least my 3.8 liter model) cuts off at @ 108. I honestly don't know about the 3.4 liter version, but I've always assumed they were the same.

hvan3 - At least we're sticking to oil changes and tire changes in the Impala, so technically we're still on topic. ;-.)

Also, I saw a "sport appearance" package Impala yesterday for the first time - I really didn't like the tail light treatment once I saw it in person (this was on a silver model). Somehow (and this may the reason they did it differently to start with) the back end looked too big with all that silver back there. The Impala has a BIG trunk, but I think somehow the standard big tail light section helps hide that somewhat by breaking up the lines.
  • Options
    atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    The only LS Sport rear end I've liked are the black ones... they look really good... I agree about the silver ones..
  • Options
    impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    Now ya'll are hatin on my taillights....just playin, I just got mine done this past weekend at my local body and paint shop. I personally like the new look. I also had my Impala at a local car show this past weekend and won 1st for Domestic non sport.

BTW Does anyone know were we stand on that Indiglo Instrument Cluster - I'm really itchin to get one soon.

Well, I got some pictures of the taillights and the last show posted on my site

http://members.cox.net/2001impala
  • Options
    spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    Those tail lights are very sweet. You say they were just painted? I'm getting mine done on my navy blue Imp. I decided to wait until after my vacation, from which I have just returned. I was looking and found the vinal thingers to cover the taillights. They sell for around $75 shipped. I'd be interested to know more about the paint/hardner you used on your back end.
  • Options
    vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    S rated tires is the reasoning behind this.
  • Options
    gasolinegasoline Member Posts: 25
    I have added about 500ml (2 cups) of coolant to my car since I purchased it 13 months ago.
    Is this normal for the rest of you guys?
    Is there a manifold leak somewhere that should be checked out by the dealer or is this a result of the warm weather and evaporation.
  • Options
    That makes sense. GM doesn't have to put more expensive tires on the cars. I have only had my 01' LS to 90mph. One day I will test the 108.
  • Options
    night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I wouldn't worry about the coolant loss. 2 cups could be acceptable depending on your driving habits and locale. Every so often check the oil and coolant. If you see oil in the coolant or your oil starts to look milky (water in oil) then you may have a leak. And don't forget to only use DexCool or an approved equalivent.
  • Options
    Do you smell coolant? I had my upper manifold base replace because it was warped.